Sunday, February 7, 2010

FDA concerned dissolvable tobacco appeals to kids

FDA concerned dissolvable tobacco appeals to kids


By MICHAEL FELBERBAUM, AP Tobacco Writer Michael Felberbaum, Ap Tobacco Writer – Thu Feb 4, 5:30 pm ET

RICHMOND, Va. – The Food and Drug Administration is saying in letters to two tobacco companies that flavored, dissolvable tobacco products — that the agency compares with candy and says contain a lot of nicotine — could be particularly appealing to kids and young adults.

The FDA's Center for Tobacco Products wrote to R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., maker of Camel cigarettes, and the smaller Star Scientific Inc. on Monday voicing concern over smokeless products that are consumed like breath mints but made from finely milled tobacco.

"CTP is concerned that children and adolescents may find dissolvable tobacco products particularly appealing, given the brightly colored packaging, candy-like appearance and easily concealable size of many of these products," Dr. Lawrence Deyton, director of the Center for Tobacco Products, told the companies.

Deyton said regulators are worried the products' nicotine content and rapid dissolution could cause nicotine dependence and addiction and be especially dangerous to children and young adults.

He asked the two best known makers of dissolvable tobacco products to provide their research and marketing information on how people under age 26 perceive and use the products.

Exercising new power to regulate tobacco that the FDA was granted in June, Deyton also requested research on misuse of the products, including potential accidental nicotine poisoning.

Regulators also want a summary of user demographics, including at what age "tobacco-naive consumers" start using the products.

The products are available in few markets and account for a small share of the tobacco industry.

Star Scientific, based in Petersburg, Va., markets its Ariva and Stonewall tablets in wintergreen, coffee and tobacco flavors. The first versions appeared about nine years ago.

R.J. Reynolds, which is owned by Reynolds American Inc. in Winston-Salem, N.C., is test-marketing dissolvable tablets, strips and a toothpick shape under the names Camel Orbs, Camel Strips and Camel Sticks in mint and other flavors.

The Orbs last about 15 minutes, the strips dissolve in five minutes or less and the sticks, which are slightly bigger than toothpicks, last 15 to 20 minutes.

The FDA is seeking the information as its Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee prepares to study the issue later this year.

Reynolds spokesman David Howard said that company is reviewing the FDA's request and plans to help regulators evaluate the products.

"Our products are made for, and marketed to, adult tobacco consumers," Howard said. He said dissolvable items are sold on the same shelves as other tobacco products and carry the same warnings and age restrictions.

Star Scientific, which has been involved in a patent dispute over some of the technology behind its dissolvable products, disagrees with the FDA's characterization of them and looks forward to speaking with regulators, spokeswoman Sara Troy Machir said.

"The challenge that we have faced in attempting to meet the needs of adult smokers ... is to develop a product that is palatable to the customer while at the same time not making it attractive to the non-tobacco user," she said

Machir said flavors are added to the products to make them taste less harsh.

Tobacco companies are focusing on cigarette alternatives — such as cigars, snuff and chewing tobacco, as well as other forms of nicotine replacement — for future sales growth as demand for cigarettes continue to decline.

61 comments:

  1. This is new to me. Have any of you heard or seen this? How do you think a product like this will affect people your age?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris Pena
    4th period

    I have not seen or heard of these products yet but I think a product like this is just another thing that can get kids into trouble, but it's really not the companies fault if kids are using there products, in my opinion it's the kids faults becasue they have the chioce to take the products or not thake the products, but taking the products could have some bad outcomes in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordan Davies
    4th

    I have never heard or seen any of these products but in my opinion it is a bad idea.I think that the amount of nicotine in the product will make every adult and kid addicted to this product, which will make people more constantly buy the product, this will be good for the company but bad for the young adults and the kids buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy Kochen 5th Period Thinks:

    Wow tabacco companies are getting dumber and dumber as the grow more desprate aren't they?...... It's new to me and I think it's pointless, you shouldn't smoke period and if parents are going to buy these products, they need to be locked up and out of reach or younger children could take them and eat them, thinking that they're candy or something. People my age are going to eat this up, literally, because it's so much easier to hide from the school system, cops, and anybody else that is looking for them(execept drug-sniffing dogs, they always find the dope with dope. Tee hee).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anissia Wilson 6th period :D
    I think making a candy flavored tobacco products is very stupid! It just shows you what people will do to make money, getting children hooked on nicotine is unhealthy, and its not just high school children even middle school children. The FDA is concerned about a CANDY FLAVORED tobacco product appealing to children of course it will appeal to children. That’s common sense. It is also very easy for children to mistake as candy it is “given the brightly colored packaging, candy-like appearance” so children can simply pick it up thinking its candy (FELBERBAUM). So now that it’s legal to sell candy flavored tobacco what else will become legal that little kids can mistake as candy or even a toy?! Children especially little children don’t read labels of candy when they pick it up, I’m 15 and I don’t read label of the candy I pick up, so I know a 5 year old at the store won’t. The world is already insane so we should just make it worst because it already bad, right? This makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Milan Doshi-5th Period

    Tobacco has entered through the doors of society and isn’t planning on leaving for a LONG time! The reason being that society has accepted tobacco as part of their lives and its gotten this sense of it being “okay”. When we hear that a teen is pregnant or that a student has brought a gun to school it’s looked to as horrible but when we hear “minor in possession of tobacco” it just doesn’t seem bad because we hear it so often and because people have just accepted it and moved on by dodging it instead of fighting this battle. We have all been put in that situation where we have been peer pressured or surrounded by others that are drinking or smoking and as unfortunate as it is, I can guarantee that a lot of kids that you see at school that look like they would do nothing wrong but they fallen into this pitfall of peer pressure. By battling this battle, we need to educate and force this information into this generation because as much as we hate to think about the future negatively, this generation will become a generation of addicts if this reasoning is not understood.

    This new item that has come about is because it is the tobacco companies’ job to come up with new products for their own profit and revenue but they have a part of the responsibility to make sure that their new products aren’t getting into the wrong hands. I have never heard of this product but I could see why users would find this product appealing because as much as society changes, the needs of society change as well. Our generation has become a “get up and go” generation that is always on the move and this is exactly what the tobacco companies are targeting. They moved from cigars to cigarettes, and now to dissolvable tobacco. I believe that the FDA is doing the right thing in making sure the tobacco companies are making the right decisions because as much as it is in their jurisdiction to make tobacco of this sort with all the right regulations, the FDA has to make sure these products can adapt to society well and safely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Josilyn Thomas
    6th period

    I agree with you Ms. Scales I have never heard of such of an idea. In my opinion I think it was a brilliant idea. So now people won’t have to be addicted to tobacco. It will make other peoples lives so much simpler not having to rely on having tobacco every single day. Also I think it’s neat how the product added flavors to make them less harsh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie Miller- 6th

    I haven't heard of this new form of nicotine either. I'm guessing that since it's nicotine it will be just as addictive as smoking is. Too bad for the person that gets addicted; it was their choice.
    Since it's age restrictive, kids will be able to get them just as they get cigarettes now--with some difficulty.
    I personally wouldn't eat them because they sound gross; I prefer sugar or high fructose corn syrup, not nicotine, in my candy. In other words, aside from the appeal of "doing something you shouldn't do", I don't see why kids would be attracted to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeralyn Laran
    4th period

    I have not heard of this. I think that it would be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. If you are an adult, it would be good for you because you would not have to get addicted to nicotine. You can use these as an alternate and not endanger your life. If you are a child, however, it may be bad. Kids may think that the tabacco flavored candy may taste good that they might think its the same as the real thing, and they might try to use it. It just depends on how you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jonathan Pecson
    6th Period

    To answer Ms. Scales question, I have never heard of this tobacco product and I strongly disapprove of this. Tobacco is not good for anyone as it causes many harmful side effects such as lung cancer, heart disease, and stroke leading to death. I think that is will help people with an addiction to lessen their consumption of tobacco, but making it candy flavored makes it very appealing to kids. I think this affects people in my age group because of the candy flavor making it seem more safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sean Dotson 6th Period


    I also I agree I had no idea that such a thing even existed. I think that this is a good idea because adutls are human too Im sure they much rather something that taste like candy than something thats very undesirable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alexis Willis 5th Period :)

    The idea is a well thought out planned, but it seems as if you're not learning a lesson here. The person that choose to smoke, chose to smoke. And its great that they want to quit, but i don't think they will learn their lesson by obtaning different flavor products to help so it will be less harsh on them. They should learn that smoking is nasty, and they still did it. So i think they should continue letting them have the orginal product. So that it is nasty, smoking is to but yet you kept doing it. So by giving them an easier way out, by giving them different flavors to make it less harsh, just doesn't make any sense. It shows that even though we did something bad, we can always get any "eaiser way" out. That should not be the case. You did this, so you should recieve this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delma Mathew 6th period

    I have never heard of anything like this. It is very different from what I have heard of. I agree with Josilyn that it makes peoples lifes so much easier to not rely on tobacco. The company should not be making products like this because it will cause many kids to get addicted to. I dont agree to adding flavors to the product because that will make kids buy more of the item. It is good that it gets peoples minds off of tobacco.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vanessa Hurtado 4th pd

    I have never heard of this product. I honestly dont know if it could work because people are addicted to nicotine each day. 6,000 teens each day are smoking a ciggarate for the first time. This product could work if teens and adults would stop smoking. When a minor is smoking it isnt noticed as something bad its just something normal and people do not try to take action and stop it. Nicotine is something that gets people addicted to it and makes them not want to stop from smoking. The product could work for the people that are not yet addicted but like to smoke to relieve stress. Maybe people that are addicted to smoking will find that the new product is better because it has a flavor and it has a better taste.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kaylon Carroll 6th pd

    To have candy flavored tobacco someone MUST be provoking children to try it. Now the officials shouold not complain because this could be stopped. This is insane. Of anything at all, i think scientist may be trying to help adults stop smoking but are really provoking it. If tobacco taste good, why world somebody stop craving it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sidney Okon
    5th Period

    Although I have never heard of this product before, I can guess that it's just another thing to distracts teens. These drugs are meant to be appealing to teens in a good way, causing them to buy them and basically sabotage their health and well being. The process of these products being sold is only benefiting one group, which is the people that are selling it. I believe that their only concern is money, not taking into account the health of America's teens. Therefore I disapprove the production "candy-like" drugs, and believe that the only effect they are having is destroying today's teen's lives everyday, just in a different, more believable and mind- tugging way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bruce Liu-4th Period

    The introduction of this product is obviously aimed at young adults who are barely legal to even consume it. In their mind, they would consider it candy and would eat for fun. Although the same health warnings are upon it, the "colorfulness" of the products prevent seriousness. Also stated in the article is that "Tobacco companies are focusing on cigarette alternatives — such as cigars, snuff and chewing tobacco", yet those products cause the same amount of damage (if not even more) to its users. It is as if tobacco companies are luring buyers and nonsmokers alike to fall into a false sense of safety for their products. For example, they will feel that since they now use chewing tobacco and don't smoke cigarettes anymore, it will be okay. The tobacco industries actions are immoral and wrong. With millions of deaths caused by the addiction of nicotine already, the companies continue to shove innocent teenagers into an inescapable darkness.

    No matter how greedy, no group or individual should have to harm others. All tobacco products should be labeled appropriately in huge letters that it is an extreme death factor. What always infuriated me is the fact that the majority of drugs are banned in all circumstances, yet tobacco isn't. Tobacco, just like drugs, is addicting because of nicotine. Just because its effects aren't as severe as drugs does not eliminate its dangers. In fact, because of its acceptance among society, it even more dangerous. Hopefully, laws will be passed to raise awareness of tobacco products even more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ross Lasris 4th period

    I have never heard of this and despite how appaling the concept of these dissovables is, I can't say I'm surprised at the tobacco companies for devising such a product either. The tobacco companies, although they would say otherwise, are most likely aiming these products at the youngest groups of people possible. The companies want life-longer buyers. Getting a young person hooked on nicotine-ridden products while they still don't know all the side-effects is one of the reasons tobacco companies still stay in business, many people who start, never stop because the addiction is so strong. So making these "candies" which are probably quite appealing to kids and young adults, I think, are products solely devised to keep people hooked on nicotine for the rest of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carlos Betancourt Period 4

    It’s ridicules how companies come up with such ideas in order make their product seem healthier and more attractive. Surely we know that that is there job and must do things like this in order for their business to exceed. It’s the ones that consume the product that are at fault here. When one walks into the store usually whatever product stands out the most is the one that is taken a look at and is end up purchased. This has always been the case and will always be, but who is the one that falls for the scam, us!! In rare occasions do we ever read the nutrition labels or any of the precautions. Tobacco is a very serious deal. The chemicals it contains are disastrous for one’s health that can bring severe lung damage. Teens have seemed to fall for the trick and have not measured the consequences. If one starts at such a young age the odds of catching some sort of disease later on in their life can be believed to be quite high. One needs to comprehend how the business world works. Simply because something looks cool or is said to be healthy doesn’t make it right to eat. One must go beyond that and truly choose carefully what is consumed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Meghan Patterson 5th

    This aricle is pretty interesting. Who would of thought of making tabacco taste like candy? I'm sure this product is good for adults that are trying to quit smoking but it is dangerous for kids who get their hands on it. On second thought, it is just dangerous period. Smokeless tobacco has more carcinogens(sorry if I spelled that wrong) in it than tabacco you smoke. That makes it more deadly. Tabacco is basically just a slow death. I guess now it's a death that comes in wintergreen, coffee, and tabacco flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tatiana Rodriguez 4th--

    Flavoring tobacco is a bad idea in the first place for many reasons. 1) It attracts kids or young adults with the vibrant colors and flavors. Want kids to stop chewing and smoking and snuffing tobacco? Take away all the good stuff, the things that catch their eyes. Making candy flavors?? Are you kidding me? That screams "MINORS OVER HERE" in their faces!!
    2) Tobacco is bad for you. It is a drug. More stores should minimize their "stash" of drugs and cigars and those sorts of things.
    And to make sure you don't forget about your daily dose of blahh, stores usually put the drugs as you exit. Yup. Right by the door so you see it and the liquids in your stomach start churning and craving it. That's a tobacco seller's dream... to get you hooked and bring in the dough.

    This stuff is ridiculous. >:(

    ReplyDelete
  22. jibin kuzhippil-6th

    it's amazing the things people come up with just to make some more money. don't they understand that these products are dangerous and deadly and will just bring more harm? kids now adays are crazy about these kinds of things and the companies just keep comin up with new products to help these kids sneak them past the people who are trying to help them like their parents and their teachers. to answer ms.scales question no personally i haven't heard of these products but i'm sure if i look around that i could easily find kids who use it. its such a shame that things have come down to this point

    ReplyDelete
  23. Josh Ortiz 6th periodFebruary 11, 2010 at 7:36 PM

    I have never heard or seen these types of products until you said something about them in class. I think that even though tobacco companies claim this os for a more "attractice" tobacco user that they are also targeting children as well. Teens around the country use tobacco everyday and it is very obvious if they have a cigarette sticking out of their mouth or dip in their cheek. These new strips are just like the listerine breath mints and can be stored near invisably. Its is just another way for teens to use tobacco.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jonathan Cheung 5th period

    Like alcohol, tobacco related products have been in existence since industrialization. Yet as the government tries to abolish it, the problem has already become too big to stop. The removal of advertisement from television was vital in an attempt to cut the demand for cigarettes. Anticipating this turn of events, the nicotine based companies now turn to non smoking items in which they insert small deposits to still provide the crave for more tobacco. This move is easily seen as a cry of desperation as the economy for them crumbles down. As the government still continues to do their best to take down these unhealthy economies, shown through this example, that the companies will never back down and quit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Zak Shagroni Per 4
    I have not heard of these products. It’s just another scam for tobacco companies to get money. I just think it’s still tobacco but in mint form. They are trying to get children and adults to try f this "mint" shaped tobacoo.I think they are just trying to make people buy it. Tobacco companies think that we (the costumer) will buy tobacco because its in a mint form and that we will think that since it doesn’t look bad it can’t be bad. I think it will be dangerously appeal to people our age and that it is a wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Edward Qin 5th

    Tobacco, whether you like it or not, will remain for a long time. Not only billions of dollars that is put into it, but many people depend on it as a need. It infuriate me that such a such a product is being promoted by tobacco company.It seems as though they don't care what they are going to promote, as long as they get people hooked on nicotine, and making them spend money on one of the most prominent, preventable cause of death. I completely agree with everything Bruce said. That it is immoral to trick teenagers and younger kids to take risks in these products. Even if its the victim's own choice, the thing that gets me is how unreluctantly the companies take advantage of it.

    The tobacco companies argues by saying it still have warning labels, and they will be visually appealing for the younger population. To the general public, this will be the excuse used to reason with their guilt. That it will be o.k to take nicotine because it is designed to be like "candy".

    ReplyDelete
  27. Eric Li-6th period

    I have not heard or seen anything of this kind on commercials or on the street. I do not wish to see oen either. When I see one, I will begin to see kids my age seeing them too and being influenced by them. I will see a lot more kids my age with them thinking its the cool, new thing. In order to expand thier companies in such an economy, they begin to target teens knowing full well that thte FDA are following them. Thus, they advetise it as marketed towards adults.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amber Washington
    6th period

    I have never heard of these new dissolvable devices until I read this article. My guess is that tobacco companies are trying to work around the law of no smoking in restaurants. Tobacco users will still get their nicotine, but without all of that harsh smoke flying around everywhere. Which in some ways is a good thing because people nearby will not be affected. However, like regular cigarettes children/adolesents will become "hooked" to these dissolvables.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Andrew Tran 5th

    I really did not know that products like the Camel Orbs, Camel Sticks, and Camel Strips actually existed. However, it did not surprise me to find out that they are in fact being produced for market. It's the tobacco companies' job to create products that will appeal to the current population and they've done just that. I can also see how this could appeal to teens and children. I mean, we've all been taught that smoking is bad and when you compare it to these chewable products then the chewables come out looking better. I can't say that I support what the tobacco companies have made but I am intrigued that they could have made something like this during a time where you'd think the tobacco industry would be doing badly.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Iram Nandolia, Period 4
    I think its really foolish that tobacco companies come up with so many ways to absorb kids into drugs. One thing they should consider is would they want their own kids to be a part of this group of kids that are influenced by drugs, then maybe they will realize what they are doing is wrong. Though I hav not heard about theses dissolvable drugs, I am sure just in a short period of time it will be widely known, because tobacco companies do a very nice job communicating to the teens, which is a very big disadvantage for people anti-drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mebin Mathew-6th period
    This product seems appealing at first, but it's still a drug. Making it candy like is redundant. Theres a reason why we keep drugs seperated from candy, so the younger generation won't get hooked. It shows how far big companies will go to make money. It has 3x the normal nicotine than the normal cigarette, meaning a child, who knows it's wrong to smoke, has a higher chance of suffering illness, than a highschooler, whose falling for peer pressure, smoking a cigarette a day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Grace Amaku-4th

    Well of course children would be attracted to the tobacco candy. I bet the tobacco companies know that too. But they would just turn their heads at this point of view, seeing that this new idea will make loads of money.

    I've never heard of this tobacco-candy before and it's been here for over 9 years!I guess they're not doing any advertising or public announcements towards tit until the research is through.If they publicized it before the proper research then find out later that it has defects it will end up costing them lots of money.

    To solve the problem of children's addiction to the drug, I think they should see driver's licence or some sort of identification to keep the kids away legally. That would reduce i but there are still many ways kids could get their hands on it.Once they're addicted, their is no turning back.So I think that this drug should not be sold at all.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jacob Fisher
    6th Period

    I beleive that the tobacco companies are flat out lying to the public. They are aiming these products directly to children. The dissolvable product could pass as a candy or mint to most parents, and allow these children to be addicted to nicotine without all the smoke and bad smell that comes from a regular cigarette. I think that the tobacco companies are trying to get their consumers addicted early, so they can use the rest of their products for life. What tobacco companies are doing seems like it should be illegal and it makes me wonder why other drugs aren't legal. Nictone based products can kill just like all the other banned illegal drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nancy Tran- 5th

    My problem with this nicotine gum is that why make it attractive causing it to draw attentions to minors. It’s not something that should be that eye catching and, or flavorful, although they are trying to sell it, the cover should have more of a formal type of display of information for the purpose of adults having to read what they are buying before doing so. They should also restrict minors from being able to have the privileges to buy those gums that are not even meant for them, this is because the gum helps relieve the addiction towards nicotine, which means it has a little bit of nicotine in it and when children are addicted to them it is going to be a big problem. All drug related items on the market nowadays should be, in my opinion, banned from children under the age of 21. Like the article said this is a dangerous product towards minors like how cigarettes can cause harmful to children.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Alexandria Ward
    6th period

    Well first off, "WOW ARE YOU LIKE REALLY SERIOUS RIGHT NOW!!!!!", but I guess, why does it matter? Kids in high school I know on a daily basis do this junk. So why does it matter if companies decide to give it a "lil flavor" to boost the sales? Don't get me wrong! It is wrong but I mean they are already doing so well with the mess they have now. Why change? They change because a new opportunity is a new chance for them to appeal to the likings' of middle-school aged children and everyone else who doesn't do tobacco and other harmful stimulants. Time is running out for the high schoolers. Not to say everyone does it, but everyone has at least tried. Some students make it a daily routine.
    "The challenge that we have faced in attempting to meet the needs of adult smokers ... is to develop a product that is palatable to the customer while at the same time not making it attractive to the non-tobacco user," she said. They are doing a terrible job and it's hard to understand that she even said this. Come on! If you were trying to do this I wouldn't be reading this article now. The new products that are being produced seem like they have every bit of the "non-tobacco user" in mind, so it's hard Americans who fit in this category to believe tobacco companies are working against appealing to them.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Seena Keerikattu
    Period 5

    I have nver heard of such a thing and am very surprised that there is such a product. Since it is now enclosed as candy, it can get kids our age interested and possibly hooked quite easily. Nicotine itself is very addictive in whatever form it may come in. It affects people our age in a sense that it is now at their reach and easier to get a hold of. It is also in a new form that appeals to kids our age, gum. Now companies will attain great profit possibly from kids our age.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Annie Donovan
    5th period

    This new product I have never heard of before. It kind of makes me nervous about the things that little children could get there hands on. They are used to eating candy and gum and chocolate. All of those things usually come in colorful wrappers. If they saw this tobacco just lying around at their house, they would not think twice about eating it. Is this what tobbaco companys are wanting to do? Attract little kids to use there stuff? Why would they want to kill the next generation of our world? I think that this needs to be brought to people's attention, and if it doesn't, someone needs to do somethting about it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Trevor Mitchell
    Period 5

    I've never heard of or seen these products anywhere. Perhaps I just haven't noticed.

    In any case, nicotine is extremely addicting, which can cause physical and economical harm to the person using the product. Anyway, the Tobacco Industry has been shown to effectively be a pathological liar, particularly when they can find evidence that doesn't really apply to support their claims (such as the claim that cigarettes are non-addictive, seemingly justified through the continuous forced inhalation of cigarette smoke to dogs [particularly Beagles], when this is easily explained by pointing out that Beagles have a different neurological chemistry than humans which doesn't allow for nicotine addiction). Some tobacco companies have even marketed self-rolled cigarettes to adolescents, while claiming that the bright packaging and flavored tobacco was merely to attract adult smokers to something different. And anyway, even if they are attempting marketing this product to adults, this misguided method will inadvertently attract children as well, particularly when one remembers that normal cigarettes are also popular among adolescents.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Mikayla Winland- 5th period
    As most people have said, I haven't heard of this new product. My personal opinion is that this product does get kid's attention. I don't think that this is any better than the smoking tobacco. These tobacco companies don't think about how many kid's lives they are costing in advertising this product. They now have to start thinking of new ways to create tobacco because most restaurants don't allow smoking. There aren't many "goods" you can get out of this, but these new dissolvable products are cleaner for the environment. If they don't cause smoke it could be better for the people around them. It would be better personally for me because I am allergic to smoke. My overall thought though is that the tobacco companies don’t need to be thinking of any better ways of taking in tobacco.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Josh McKay Period 5

    I think that this idea of candy nicotine is extremely dangerous. Just imagine that a little child got into this candy because the user wasn't paying attention to said child and the child would get addicted to this nicotine candy. And I don't know about most of the people in the world, but I wouldn't want any little children that I know to get addicted to nicotine at a very young age. Their lives can be ruined all because they got into this nicotine candy! Even though Tobacco companies can profit from this, why would they want to get children addicted to nicotine? Isn't that the reason you must be 18 in order to purchase tobacco in the first place?
    I think the tobacco companies should stop making this candy and save the children of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Brittany Kuusisto
    6th Period
    I've never heard of this new form of nicotine, and personaly I don't think it's good. The colorful packages and the good tastes make them more appealing to minors rather than adults. To me it seems like these strips are a way for minors to sneek tobacco. Minors can easily slip on of these into their mouths without being caught. Also minors can could easily get addicted to these without realizing it, they might think it's a harmless candy. I honestly believe that these are dangerous to society.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Samantha Lang P.
    I think that its terrible for them to make tobacco like candy. Weather its intended for children and young adults or not, it makes it all that much easier to access them. Dont you think if a child really really wanted tobacco and couldn't smoke, because the smell, that it would be an easy solution to this. Its like tobacco sellers are looking for easier ways to get kids addicted. Lets face it, if you get a year old addicted on tobacco candy then years later, that same person will now be an adult, allowed to buy cigarettes and still addicted. Its like their looking for quick ways to get young people addicted. Its just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Tommy Batchelor-6 th period

    I have heard and seen the dissovable tobacco and it looks like a mint box. I think it will target young adults to try it because it like candy, and who doesn't like candy? Thats why i think it would target young kids but i'm sure its highly addictive and harmful to yound adults espcially. I think it may be better in some ways for tobacco users; there wouldn't be any second hand smoking and you wouldn't see people smoking like outside or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Noel Jacob 5th period

    Even though i disagree with tobacco companies i am impressed in their marketing skills. Putting it in a candy form and making it available kids. It is also very shocking to see this. This takes the war on tobacco to a new level. The kids who are very gullible are going to get addicted to this and be a tobacco user for the rest of their life. Their life is going to be ruined by some candy. The government is letting their kids die. This might be the fall of, the world power , america. The next generation is going to be tobacco users for life and so they will die from sicknesses and their life will be a ruin. This country's life expectancy will considerable go down. Each person will be more rush and soon enough the country won't be able to keep up with other countries an soon enough America will die. All of this because of some candy and some money crazy companies.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Michelle Kuo ; fifth period .

    Referring to what Jonathan said about the tobacco industry becoming so big that it`s hardly possible to stop the production of new products . That`s true , but does that really mean that society should not attempt to stop this .

    As a tobacco company , they still have the responsibility of placing these products in the right hands. It`s not wrong for them to produce new things , but a lot of problems will arise from this if underage children get a hold of these things . This could put their company in danger. If underaged chlidren begin to purchase these products and the sellers are caught, they could be fined millions.

    It`s also bad because , injecting this in candy, will attract kids, and it can allow them to , like Seena said, " get hooked " on drugs at an early ago. It`s not worth it .

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ethan Clark
    P. 5

    I have hear of candy cigarettes, but those contain no nicotine whatsoever. Something like this,I have never heard of before. But, despite what some people have said to the contrary, I think it is the companies faults as to if the kids are using it. They created this product like this on purpose, so it would be easier to take and you would get more overall. The companies knew what they were doing, they knew that kids and young adults would see this and think that it's a whole lot easier than cigarettes themselves. Because of this, I think that the companies need to be held responsible to what happens to the people that fall for this.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Ebony Douglas
    4th period

    I have never heard of products like that, but i think it is another way for tobacco companies to appeal to more children. Kids will hear the word candy and think that theres nothing wrong with it. personally i think that tobacco flavored candy is a bad idea and will eventually lead back to smoking. People will start to eat the candy and might think it taste good and then want to try the real thing. Technically to me its still a drug and is just as bad as smoking an actual cigarett. Tobacco companies are just trying to catch a new crow of people and make more money, whatever they do is only in their own best interest, they could care less what happens to anybody else.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Cara Slaybaugh :)

    This is very interesting. Just like a bunch of other people, I've never heard of such a thing. I think it's a great idea to come out with these products but yet it is the persons decision to start smoking in the first place. And they don't have to chose this alternative. These companies claim they don't target their products to kids or young adults, but in a sence they do. With the colored packaging and catchy names they attract more people. Nicotine is a very intense thing do be delt with and with this looking like candy, it sends out the wrong message to the public. I personally, think it's a "bitter-sweet" product. It's bad because it has nicotine and attracts more kids and it's good because it can help peole from smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Christopher Gallagher- 6th pd.

    This topic is very appealing to me. First of all i have never heard of such a thing I have heard of a nicorette chewing gum to stop nicotine addiction but never tobacco used just like a mint. To me i think it will get the tobacco companies in a lot of trouble. With the bright colors it will be very appealing to children of a younger age. If they start using it they will get addicted and possibly die. To me i think it is an interesting way to use tobacco. Although, the way the companies advertise their product is incorrect. They know the product is appealing to younger kids and still they only care about the money. Maybe if they advertise it differently children won't become interested and a lot of problems will be dodged. If the keep on the same track as now they'd get themselves and the little children in big trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Joel Jacob - 6th Period

    The new Product that is being used by the Drug companies is an abomination to humankind. It is a way for companies that sell tobacco to get rich. They are trying to target the younger crowds with new flavors and shapes to make tobacco seem like candy. Though they claim this is not aimed at youngsters it is a lie, it was invented for the younger generation. I believe that the FDA should have more power in order to regulate tobacco use among children. Tobacco is the third highest preventable cause of death in America. Now it is being introduced to the younger generation it will claim even more lives. We must stop this before it destroys the youth .

    ReplyDelete
  51. Sruthi Jayadevan
    period 6 :)

    Using these nicotine products is just trading one type of health problem for another. They certainly won't help people stop smoking or stop a nicotine addiction. Compounding te problem, they come candy-flavored which may appeal to the teenage market. The tobacco makers have used child proof pakaging in an attempt to convince the general public that it is not being marketed to the children but most teenagers can open child-proof pakaging.

    Most smokers want to quit smoking cigarettes. It doesn't help that that tobacco makers come up with new products that still encourage people to continue jeopardizing their health with just another new addictive nicotine product that just helps smokers keep being hooked.

    Smokers who want to quit have many other ways to do it rather than switch to another product of the same entity. The focus today should be coming up with new quit smoking solutions to help people get rid of their nicotine addictions for good. Also, this product is putting others such as children and teenagers into a more addiction prone zone!

    ReplyDelete
  52. May L.
    4th period

    I am sure to most of us know that tobacco is never good for our health, and it is awful that the tobacco industries are using tricks to tempt more consumers. However, it is really up to us to decide if we really want it. The goal of every business is to continue to produce capital, so it is usual yet bad that they are creating new ways to build up business.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Karuna Antony
    5th Period

    I have never heard of such a product as this one, but I believe that tons of kids in highschool that do drugs already have. To me it is a horrible idea because its basically letting kids get addicted to nicotine, even if it is candy flavored. The things that tobacco companies would do for money these days really surprise me. They don't seem to care about what happens to the health of children. All they want is the money. When children hear about this they won't understand that it's really something dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Brittany Bernard-4th
    I think its stupid on their part, yet very smart. It's going to get kids our age hooked even more than they already are, and it will boost their sales quite a lot. Its not healthy; kids shouldnt be expossed to good tasting tobacco products, it will make them try them for their good taste, and how easy it is to consume them. Companies are getting smarter, but it's not helping the cause to prevent the use of obacco products for underage kids.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Anders Beato
    6th

    I think that people are really over reacting to this now I mean come on this is stupid. It should not matter at all what color or anything because as long as they put in big letters CIGARETTES then there should not be any problem. and how would kids even get them come on last I checked I have never seen a gas station clerk selling cigarets to a 5 year old. Now for the idea that there are tabbaco addiction in other products there is a simple solution people its called give that product its own factory then if your so afraid of the addiction factor.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Paula Salmon-6th period

    I think that this new product is very dangerous for children because they could easily think that it is candy and eat it. This would be very bad for the child because for one it would get the child addicted to the nicotine if they took it continually at very young age. I think that the tobacco and nicotine could have a very bad effect on the child when growing up too. This is not very healthy for the kids or adults. I also think that it is a waste of people’s money to be buying these dissolvable tobacco products that don’t help your health. I think that this product will get more people that are my age addicted to the nicotine because it uses bright colors and looks like some type of mints. It can also be easily hidden because of its size and this might encourage kids to buy it because they could hide it from their parents easier than cigarettes. Over all I think that this product is not good and should not be sold.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Tyler C - 6th period

    I actually have heard and seen these products before. They are just how they were described in the article. While they only account for a small percentage of tobacco industries products, they still attract young kids to tobacco. I can tell you honestly that I know people that do the dissolvable form, and they are so screwed up. At first they look like breath mints, and at first they taste like breath mints. But nonetheless they still contain nicotine and thus are damaging peoples' lives. It is very sneaky by tobacco companies but is very wrong at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  58. I think a flavored, chewable, tobbacco candy is dumb, first of all I dont think tobbacco should even be sold in stores in the first place.Its bad for your health one, and second it causes the second most death rate diese in america which is cancer and for the fda to let tem put hat out in stores would not be a smart move for them

    ReplyDelete
  59. Kyle robinson 4th (sorry again for late)

    I have NEVER heared of this before and think it is absalutly rediculus! Its seems as if they are bribing young kids and teenager to the use of tobbaco! I agree with a.reed, tobbacco should not be in stores at all, it is completly bad for your health. And there are all these things that are telling us not to smoke or dip, ect... And now they have just come out with something that may sound appeling to a young adult or kid. It is completly idiotic!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Trey Moore
    I think that flavored tabaaco is smart and dumb. Its smart for the people who are making this candy flavored tabacco because I feel people would find this very intresting and cool. But its dump cause smoking can kill you and who wants to be dead? no one!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Reid Stacell 6th

    I find it interesting how the companies are able to market their product towards young people these days. But chewing tobacco thats flavored is only drawing in more customers, and although the ideals the USA was built on allow such a thing, I find it to be somewhat unethical. To create a product, advertise the product, and make it seem as normal as eating candy, it just seems as though they value money, over the wellbeing of citizens worldwide.

    ReplyDelete