Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Apple Fights Rival Google on New Turf (Last Blog of the year!!!)

Apple Fights Rival Google on New Turf


By YUKARI IWATANI KANE And EMILY STEEL

Getty Images Apple CEO Steve Jobs, shown in Cupertino, Calif., Thursday, introduced new iPhone software that allows app developers to include ads programs.

Apple Inc. is stepping up its rivalry with Google Inc. by adding its own advertising system to the next version of software that will power its iPhone, iPad and other mobile gadgets.

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said Thursday the new operating system will include an advertising capability, dubbed iAd, that allows developers of the programs available in Apple's App Store—many of which are free or cost 99 cents—to include ads in their software.

Apple Debuts New iPhone Software.  Stacey Delo talks to MarketWatch's Dan Gallagher about Apple's next generation iPhone software, which Apple unveiled today. The new operating system, which also powers the iPad, will bring multitasking and other new features to the devices.

Apple will sell the ads, with developers who create the apps getting 60% of the revenue of any mobile ads, and Apple taking the remainder.

The debut of iAd is likely to pose a challenge to existing companies that serve up ads in mobile devices, such as AdMob Inc., which Google announced it would acquire last year for $750 million. That deal is currently facing scrutiny from regulators.

Mr. Jobs, speaking at an event at the company's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters, took direct aim at Google when he noted that people are increasingly accessing the Internet on phones rather than search engines. He said ads inside apps were a more attractive way for companies to advertise on phones compared with traditional search ads, an area dominated by Google.

"People aren't searching on a mobile device like they are on a desktop device," said Mr. Jobs.

Apple's new system could end up helping Google defend its acquisition of AdMob. Even as the Federal Trade Commission weighs whether to challenge the deal, Google has been arguing that mobile advertising is a nascent and competitive field. Earlier this week, a Google spokesman referenced Apple's expected entrance into the market in a statement defending the deal's competitiveness.

"This is more evidence of how quickly mobile advertising is evolving and growing," said a Google spokesman Thursday after Apple's iAd announcement. Apple is "going to be a strong competitor for sure," said an AdMob spokeswoman.

In addition to iAd, Apple announced several other new features with the new iPhone system, called OS 4. One new feature that users have long asked for is multi-tasking, which lets people run multiple apps at the same time. In one scenario, someone could listen to Pandora Media Inc.'s Internet radio or make calls on Skype Ltd.'s Internet phone service while surfing the Web and checking email.

The software will be available for the iPhone and iPod touch in the summer and the iPad in the fall.

Apple and Google have been increasingly overlapping on each other's turfs. Apart from mobile advertising, the two are also competing in the mobile-phone space and Internet browsing, among other things.

Mr. Jobs said Thursday that Apple was interested in acquiring AdMob before Google snatched the start-up. Apple ended up acquiring smaller rival Quattro Wireless in January.

Mr. Jobs said its ads would reach a huge audience base. Apple has so far sold 85 million iPhone and iPod touches, and it estimates that each user spends about 30 minutes a day using apps. "This is a pretty serious opportunity and it's an incredible demographic," he said.

Apple will continue to allow outside ad services to place ads in apps, though such ads often redirect users to a Web site when clicked. Mr. Jobs stressed that iAd would let users access ad content without leaving the original application, though existing ad services companies say they already offer this feature.

Overall, the mobile ad market remains small. Marketers have been slower to buy mobile ads than expected, largely because consumers aren't visiting mobile Web sites in meaningful numbers and the process of creating mobile ad campaigns is technically and logistically challenging. Research firm eMarketer predicted about two years ago that mobile ad spending would be $2.8 billion in 2009, but more recently said that U.S. advertisers only spent $416 million on mobile ads last year—a fraction of the $22.4 billion U.S. online advertising market.

Ad executives said many pieces of iAd are available through other providers. "There are several third-party ad-serving companies that are serving ads within the apps. There is no new technology being announced here," said Ian Schafer, chief executive of New York digital agency Deep Focus.

App developers, however, appeared enthused about iAd. Sam Altman, CEO of location-based social-network services company Loopt Inc., said he would likely keep his relationships with existing ad networks but expected iAd to be his first choice because of the likelihood that the higher-quality ads would generate higher revenues. "I was amazed at how good the iAds looked," said Mr. Altman.


—Jessica E. Vascellaro and Scott Morrison contributed to this article.

58 comments:

  1. Tyler Caldwell - 6th period

    WOW! That's a pretty intense rivalry. But then again, technology now is like this:
    Apple: "We just created an iPhone!"
    All other companies: "We just made the Droid/HTC/MyPhone/etc!"
    Apple: "We just created an iPad!"
    All other companies: "........"

    What I'm saying is that Apple has always been on top of their game. They don't put out the next big thing until absolutely necessary. Like, they didn't make the iPad until after the Motorola Droid from Verizon came out. And they didn't come up with this iAd deal until after Google invested in an ad company for $750 MILLION!!! The reason why Apple is so prosperous is because of this marketing technique. Your product is hot until someone else's comes out, so you immediately throw out another great product of yours to keep your income average if not growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexandria Ward
    period 6

    I was a little confused as to what was going on. But after reading I discovered that Apple and Google are bumping heads with each other when it comes to users, buyers, and investers of their APPS. The new system OS 4 sounds to be very helpful that is if it will work efficiently. Running several programs while possibly even making a phone call will definently send Apple's cells higher than Google. I can't really say who I would side with because both Apple and Google are to programs I use often. I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses both which is the reason for their competition with each other. They are both programs that many people use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tatiana R. 4th--
    What's wrong with google?
    Apple Inc. is taking advantage of cell phone apps. They are doing so wisely, with the advertisments I'm saying, because to not take advantage of an oppurtunity to make lots of money would be foolish. At the same time tough, they are already rich! And they could potentially (way future) put Google out of business! What's wrong with this picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milan D.-5th Period

    The article is interesting because we need more of this kind of activity in our market and our economy. This is what makes our free enterprise system diverse rather than a monopoly. Different companies taking an active part in the company and attempting to compete with other companies in different sectors also brings more jobs to the economy. The issue that I have with this is that Apple itself is such a big and diverse company that it in itself doesn’t become a monopoly. Apple has full control over their iPods and iPads, and iTouchs because they are the only ones that make these products, but what iAd will do is bring a limitation to Apple which they are not used to, comparing prices with other companies to ensure that customers and marketers are coming to them rather than other rival companies such as Google.

    I think every company looks out for their best benefit and Apple is moving in the right direction by adding iAd to their plate because they are a company that can definitely handle the extra load. Having them in the market, companies will get more options with who they want to advertise with and not have to stick with only one company all the time. However the issue that stands clear throughout the whole article is that will people be looking at these ads on their phone on the internet vs. apps that hey use on the various different Apple products. I think it’s pretty clear that people aren’t looking at the teeny tiny ads on their phone screens when they surf the internet, rather look at the vibrant ads that Apple already has put in place on some of their ads. This statement is backed up by what Steve Jobs said that on average a person who has an Apple product spends about 30 min on apps, which will soon have ads. The idea is great and I can’t wait to see how creative Apple can be with this idea in expanding and broadening their horizons.

    What I want to know from you is do you really want these ads all over your apps? Do you find them annoying? When you are using your Apple products will you look at the ads, click on them, or just ignore them? Do you think this is right for apple to do this, violate the product you have bought with ads they put in? I would really like to see what you guys think on this and your side of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is an intereseting article and i understand why google and Apple are arguing but I think that what they are doing is mroe of a nuisance than a solution. When people are using apps, they are most likely doing so for entertainment or other purposes that they dont want interrupted. I think it will be distracting an annoying. I personally dont have an iPhone or itouch but when I play a friends, it really gets annoying because they have already started to put the adds. I think they should just get rid of them in the apps as an entirety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris Pena

    I think apple is producing the best yhings right now, my whole family either has an iphone or itouch, and they both are very usefull for things we need to find out about in a hurry, but i dont think apple's apps can out do google, google is the number 1 search engine in the world,and google is used more often than apps in my opinion, and i think google can be more useful at times becasuse ou can find out more information than what apps have to offer, i would like to see this competion between these two companies, it will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jibin Kuzhippil - 6th

    i think that it is pretty cool that apple is stepping up and is actually taking on Google. that takes a lot of work and skill and i think that even though there is a lot of room for improvement, apple is doing a very good job.im kind of disappointed in google but im sure they will create somthing new pretty soon. i agree with alex that i use both apple and google and with milan in that i am not very sure having ads in my app is a good thing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie Miller
    6

    I don't like the idea at all that Apple puts ads in their apps. If the customer is willing to buy the application, then why must Apple inconvenience the customer with annoying ads? Thousands of people use Google everyday from their desktops, and not everyone has an Apple product. Even though Jobs may think that there is potential for Apple to overrun Google,I don't think it will be very soon. But perhaps if Apple does, what is stopping Apple from becoming a Monopoly? Of course there is a law against it, but terminating Google would be Jobs' first leap towards a market monopoly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace A.- 4th Period

    Apple has redefined the market for these products by not releasing them until they function at a much higher standard than your BlackBerry or PC. How else do you get 95% satisfaction feedback for a phone? BlackBerry certainly can't match that. "What took so long" is that the original hardware couldn't support these functions to an acceptable level. Maybe they could do it in a basic form if Apple had chosen to compromise. Either way, it's a free market, so you can buy what you want -- just don't complain when the reviews for Windows Vista don't match the ones you read for Apple's refined OS, whether iPhone or Snow Leopard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeralyn Laran
    4th period

    This is a very interesting article. There is much more advertisement known in apps than there are in surfing the web because it is much more easier to go on your phone or a mobile device than to go onto the computer. It is also very smart that apple would make a product that would let you multi-task on the mobile device so you may be able to do other things as well. This type of 'fighting' against companies could be good or bad to either companies. It may be good because it encourages them to try and make a better product than the other, and to put more products out on the field. It may also be bad as well because if one company may not be able to top another's product, comsumers may not buy it, and that company may go out of business. You have to think of the many possibilities when it comes to the marketing field.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carlos Betancourt
    Period 4

    Apple and Google are some of the biggest and richest companies on the planet. Certainly they are going to compete for customers and users. It is a logical and reasonable cause. This type of competitiveness brings many benefits to all. For example, usually low prices head our way when such things occur. The longer the fight goes on the lower the prices; it’s a great deal for us. This is a common thing. Companies like Verizon wireless and AT&T are going through the exact same thing. It seems that they are doing anything they can to win customers and publicity whether it’s in a respectable way or not. Google is the biggest right now but Apple is certainly going to do all it can to overpass this massive company. Google is known by all for its amazing success over the last years, but Apple is going towards that very same path with all its high tech gadgets that are gaining popularity very quickly. I don’t blame Apple for what it is doing at all. They are here to make business and whether that involves sacrificing a competing company so be it. Simply because Google is “Google” doesn’t mean one is going to back down and allow one’s business go down the drain. The competitiveness here is good, like in all cases the one that makes wise choices and doesn’t give is the one on top.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Preston Graham 6th
    Answering Milan D,if I had a iPod and it had ads popping up most of the time I wounld very annoyed.These products are for enjoyment,they are not billboards

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meghan Paterson 5th

    Apple and Google are just playing a game of tag. Once one does something better the other has to top it. They are just at a constant fight to see who is going to get to the top and finally beat the other one. It's just all kinda ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Iram N., Period 4
    To answer Milan's quetion I personally ignore 9 out of 10 ads that are on the side of whichever web page im accessing, which does not mean I actually go and purchase that item. Out of that 10% I do notice, I MAY purchase 1 item. So what is the point of spending so much money on such projects? Just to be able to earn a 1 out of a 100 profit?
    I feel sorry for Google and its purchase of AdMob for $750 million because it is now facing scrutiny from regulators. They have lost so much money becausse of their rival apple, but that how bussiness is, and thats what gets us so many new options of products from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Miranda M. Period 4

    I'm kind of torn on this one. Google offers a lot of help as well as does the Apple Apps. I most definitely find the ads on the apps annoying. I look at it this way, if I am using an app it is so that I can access whatever it is I am accessing so that it could be in a quick timely manner, and with these ads there are distractions. I find the ads to very pointless for me because I know that will not even acknowledge them the slightest bit. I don't think that it is wrong or right, I just believe that is a waste of time for me. there will be some people out there who will acknowledge the ads, but for everyone of those type of people, there will be two of the other. there should be a choice on whether or not you as the customer wants the ads on the apps to be visible.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rachel Choate, 6th Period

    Personally, I'm tired of ads.But other than that, I'll be sad to see google go. It's already become a verb! I can't believe it... the next generation will be asking "what's google?". That'd be so awful. If the iAds are really as good as they say they are, I don't think I'd mind that much. I'm just tired of so many ads popping up! They're so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kevin Sabouni- 4th Period

    Google has been the top of online advertising for many years now and I think it was time that Apple took over in that department. Apple has revolutionized the world through many ways such as the iPhone and iPad including online advertizing. The iAD will be a great new look for online advertizing. Many people in the world use Apple products and so the ads would be noticed a lot while people use their many applications. The iAD would also be a great way for people with small businesses to get noticed and publicise. I am for the iAD and support the changes that are to come.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Andrew Tran 5th

    I believe that what Apple is doing is great, from the way that they are listening to the consumers' input and innovating their products to the way that they're updating the way they're most popular products will work by introducing the whole advertising system. Also, like Milan said, this is exactly what the economy needs. Instead of allowing large companies such as Google to monopolize the playing field, Apple is stepping up and competing with Google's products. The day that Apple overtakes Google could be one that we maybe seeing sometime soon, especially if it keeps moving in the direction it's going right now. The way Apple is using its common sense and taking its best products to a whole new level could be just what it needs to win over the consumer community.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Josh McKay 5th Period

    I honestly don't get what the big deal about the advertisements are. I mean, no one really likes ads while they're surfing the web anyway. Very rarely do I click on an ad because it intrested me. So if most people don't like ads, why would apple make an iAd? It just makes more ads on your iphones, itouches, and ipads, which could really get annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eriel Yeldell-6th.
    I also found the article quite confusing but how i understand it is that Apple and Google are rivals but, why? I thought that each are at different sides of the spectrum. Apple deals with electronic devices while Google is just a search engine so, if anything I would expect the to be insinc with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jasmine Morris <3
    5th period!
    I always wonder why Apple and Google compete against one another. They're pretty much the two most powerful companies in the nation if not the world. It just makes so much more sense for them to join forces and completely dominate the entire world...but that might be illegal, im not sure.. Anyway,this article is just another example of how there competition both helps and hurts the other. They are each others both main market and top competitor. Apple's always pushing to be the biggest and the best which just encourages Google to do better(although they tend to lag behind a bit)and create technology just as good if not better than Apple. But it if I were Apple if i didn't have competition then maybe i wouldn't have as great a motivation to be better. Small wonders..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Imani Hicks 4th
    "Inside apps were a more attractive way for companies to advertise on phones compared with traditional search ads, an area dominated by Google." Google will lose money if iAD is used; people won't need to use google anymore. The "Ceo of location-based social-network services company Loopt Inc., said he would likely keep his relationships with existing ad networks but expected iAd to be his first choice because of the likelihood that the higher-quality ads would generate higher revenues" Since the iAD will have a higher quality, Google fears it won't be used. I think which ever works best for Apples' customers should be used.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bruce L.-4th PeriodMay 23, 2010 at 7:58 PM

    With the advancement of technology, new fields need to be expended upon. Apple's campaign to integrate mobile advertising is a peculiar move, for not much of this area is developed. Their intentions are risky, but when analyzing all of Apple's other extremely successful ventures, one sees that they set the standard for the most ingenious technology. Smartphones are slowly dominating the cellphone market, replacing even Blackberrys. Some people choose to buy cheap phones because of financial hardships, but because of the competitiveness of the smartphone market, costs are lowering universally, rending cost troubles obsolete. In a future where nearly all phones have the ability to surf the web and utilize apps, Apple's innovative idea to bring in mobile advertising early will allow them space to learn from mistakes and develop even better methods of integration.

    In conclusion, iAd will bring mobile technology to a whole new level, extending its domain to other providers and potential opportunities in numerous sectors as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Eric Li-6th

    Google and Apple are battling it out with ads and all i can think of when reading this is: I'm not even gonna look at the ads. Why put them in the first place? I see enough ads on the tv and computer so why on mobile phones? Google and Apple are like the perfect competition to each other. This is perfect too. With competition, better products, the need for more jobs which in turn helps the economy. I just can't really see one without the other. The idea that ads in th apps will be more colorful to attract more people is not true. And I don't agree with it. Sure ads can be placed when your looking to download apps. But to have the ad on the app while your using it is disturbing and annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sruthi Jayadevan
    6th period.

    Apple never ceases to amaze me. When faced with Windows operating system dominance, they created a second front in the OS battle: the iPhone operating system, and the apps world...a new world for users, but more importantly, a new creative space for developers. What's next? The iPad. To users, a kind of new and undefined world. To all who have provided quality content (newspapers, magazines, you name it) for free for so many years? A chance to finally charge for content, thanks to the entirely new medium that is the personal tablet. Users might balk at a device that seems to be all "want" and no "need." Creators of content will probably be willing to "adopt" the huge piles of cash soon to be brought to them courtesy of Apple.

    This is a great business move for Apple. As Internet shifts to mobile devices, the guy who controls the device can control the experience and sell the eyeball. The whole App movement is really just a way for Apple to turn the Internet into a toll road. If Apple can also control the ad revenue on these things they will be able to subsidize the hardware to zero and it will be game over for everyone else. Apple's competitors need to embrace open standards and start cross-selling, as a way to collectively push back against Apple's closed system.

    I think iAd is going to be successful because of how engaging the new "app ads" will be. The Toy Story iAd was complete with a menu outlining various components of the film. In general, people avoid current ads like the plague because they don't want to be kicked out of their app and redirected to a generic advertisement. Now, ads will be like a side show of the circus - users will be able to venture off and discover new things at their discretion, all in a nice, organized app/ad. I think that many of these app/ads will offer more robust information than conventional ads, like product history.

    ReplyDelete
  26. May L.
    4th pd.

    I am the type of person who would yell, “Not another commercial?!” when watching a television show. Hence, I am not a fan of advertisements, and the last thing I would want is ads bombarding my apps. Apple will probably get some criticisms from it consumers. However, the goal of every business is to make profit, and Apple and Goggle are just taking advantage of the growing users of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anders Beato
    period 6

    I think its fantastic apple is taking over, google has been the head of the game for to long now, apple has revolutionized the way we see technology, there products are much better and more reliable then i believe. it is time for google to pass the touch and give apple its props because they honestly o believe are the best,for example the iphone is the number one smart phone in the world., more and more people are buying mac books, and the ipad will most defiantly with out a doubt kick the kendals butt in online book use as well. But then again it is very good that google and apple compete because this means they will keep coming out with better and better products which means the demand for faster technological advancements will increase.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Alain Lee
    Period 4

    The new operating system, OS 4 for Apple is a good idea because people would love to be able to multitask on their iphones and ipods. I do not like the idea that the ads will be showong up in our apps, I would not want to be in the middle of a game and an ad pops up. I do agree with Tyler when he says that Apple only comes out with the next best thing when they have to because of competition with other big companies.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jonathan Cheung-4th
    Usually updates are something people and the community look forward to. Yet this update is to install ads into apps. Yes, ads are essentially the only way to make money in such industries, but they should only do ads on free, not paid apps. This also shows the placement in the race between Apple and Google in the technology race. This also shows the advancement in technology as companies are willing to invest their money into applications in order to advertise.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Last Blog for Ms. Scales :'(
    Anissia W. 6
    Responding to Milan’s question:
    I have an iPod and I love it, its fun to play with all the different apps available. Some of the free apps have pop ups and it is very much so aggravating, so if more pop ups were on my iPod I probably wouldn’t use it as much. Its like commercials, they are really annoying and no one really likes them. On the radio if there are more commercials less people will listen. Apple will lose money if they add commercials to iPods. I think it should be optional if they want it they get if not leave their iPod out of it. Of course Apple probably has the right to add pop ups, but we did pay for them so maybe not.
    Google and Apple are the richest, biggest, most used companies in the world so their competition isn’t surprising. It is actually good because the more they compete, the better products we can buy.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Christopher Gallagher- 6th

    I can see why these two companies are very competitive with eachother. They produce some of the best products on the market today. So i can see why one is trying to be better than the other. Right now i think Apple is in the lead because many people have an Ipad or Iphone or Itouch. ALthough google is coming back with a television options. It is a pretty heated battle but i believe the decision is on the customer and their opinion. Their opinion decides which company is on top and has the best products.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nancy Tran- 5th
    It’s really interesting to see how two well known companies that many people around the world use on a daily bases have major conflicts with each other trying to get more customers to use their products or programs. I agree with what Alexandria Ward had stated about how she uses both Apple and Google and can’t seem to side with either of them, because I too have the same issue. I mean they are both really good companies, each providing it’s own unique ideas that help me with my technology life, but to others it may impact a good portion of their daily life. Even though mobile ads haven’t been as active as it has been predicted to be, many people are still looking forward to Apple’s new program, I wonder how this would actually impact society from now on? Plus knowing how the companies are trying to overcome their opponent’s updates on existing programs, I wonder what Google will come up next to drawing customers towards them. It seems to me that this could be a never-ending competition for both companies.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Noel Jacob 5th

    Personally I see this as co-evolution. This is when 2 things evolve because of each other. In this story we see that happening. Google dominates in search engines and so it sells a lot of adds. Apple, in order to beat Google, tries to dominate the handheld device search engine. To beat each other they made them selves better. I think that is good.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Joel Jacob - 6th period

    Google is one of the biggest technology companies in the world, as is Apple. They are the two biggest competitors in the technology field today. Google must understand Apple’s attempt to try get into advertisement. It could give them the lead that they need. This has happened many time, when Microsoft introduced the USB device, they had actually copied the Apple’s FireWire. Now USB is one of the most common storage devices used. Apple is trying to do the same thin, they are trying to use advertisements to make huge profits as Google does. I think the only thing that Google can do is try to do something new and innovative .

    ReplyDelete
  35. Paula Salmon-6th period

    I think that the iAd will probably get this company a lot of money because quite a few companies would love to pay for their ads to be shown on apps. Some people that I know can't seem to put down their itouch for more than ten minutes. So it is pretty obvious that many people will be seeing these ads a lot. This whole competition between Apple and Google is kind of understandable from the business perspective. Both companies want your money and they have to keep on coming up with better stuff to get people to pay for it. Apple has copied Google and is now using another way to bring in money, through ads. I personally think that I would get bored after awhile always seeing these ads pop up and not being able to do what I want to do (kind of like commercials on TV).

    ReplyDelete
  36. Elizabeth Smith - period 4

    Google does have something to worry about< but i highly dout this would put them out of buisness. its not like every single person in the world has access to some form of web capaible apple device. People all over the world will stll need google. like me when i get on the internet on my computer google is my hompage, even though i have wi-fi on my ipod doe not mean, i will have my ipod every second i will need to look something up. i don't think google has anything to worry about. : )

    ReplyDelete
  37. Seena Keerikattu
    Period 5
    The fact that a conflict has arisen with ads between Google and Apple is completely unnecessary. Not many people even take the time out to pay attention to their ads. I do realize that Google and Apple are complete rivals and they both emerge to be each other’s main competition. Their competitive mindset is taking over them resulting in this type of brawl. People in general do not find ads very interesting yet Apple invented the iAd which seems to me as a waste. The ads will appear rather as a mere annoyance and disturbance.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Mikayla Winland
    5th period

    As many people have said, I think that ads are really annoying. I don't understand why Apple and Google are fighting over this. Yes, Apple is advancing in pretty much everything they do, but Google is a great search engine. I don't think that Apple needs to be worrying about the competition, and neither does Google. Apple and Google are pretty much two separate things. Answer to Milan, well yes I think that ads are annoying. Doesn't everyone? I don't think that this would be fair to the buyers. You pay money for the apps and then you would just be bothered by these ads. Most people even ignore them, I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Jacob Fisher
    6th Period

    I believe this article is very interesting. Mr. Jobs and other Apple developers are smart to come up with this new iAd. I believe this new move will generate a lot of competition between Apple and Google. For the past couple of years Google has dominated the advertising field, I believe it is always good for other companies to compete. If there is only one company over any certain area it prohibits choices for the consumer. The more competion there is the better things work. When companies compete they have to come up with newer ideas and innovations that appeal to the consumer. I believe that Apple and Google will be major rivals for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Aaron Reed period 4
    Google has been on top for some time and now that they have a fierce competitor(Apple)that is always coming up with innovative ideas, its a problem for them, so they try to keep their indeas fresh. But Apple comes harder and haarder evrytime.And its hard for them to keep up

    ReplyDelete
  41. Josilyn Thomas
    period:6th

    I personally think there is more advertisement in apps then surfing the web because it’s not that complicated to go on your phone than it is to get on your computer. I think it is brilliant for apple making the product that lets you do other work while using your mobile device. The arguments between companies could be a positive thing because it gets the companies more competitive trying to have a better outcome of the products. It can also be a negative when no one likes the product making the business go out.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Vanessa Hurtado
    period 4


    I personally have a iphone and an itouch so for me I rarely look at the ads. If they get an app specifically for adds it wouldnt matter to me to much although they are annoying. I highly doubt that google would wiped from the board because although the adds aren't usually enteresting people use it alot. You can't really choose between apple and google because they both have different ways of functioning and are unique in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Cara Slaybaugh
    5th. Period

    A lot of this commotion about Google Inc. and Apple Inc. arguing over things is unnecessary. Considering all the other problems now a days, we should be worrying about more important problems. This is really uncalled for and is wasting a bunch of people’s time. Weather a company has created the new "it thing" such as an iPhone or iPad, there's always going to be more creations in time to come. These companies should just stick to what their doing to improve technology together, or separately. But if Google Inc. and Apple Inc. work toegther they could invent better things faster and make them more available.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Sean Dotson- 6th period.

    This article is interesting because it shows 2 very powerful companies competing and usually when big companies compete their products get better and better and the prices also usually drop.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Reinier D. C. 4th period

    First of all, WOOHOO!!! Summer is nearly here :D... Second of all, Apple wants competition to existing companies, such as Google. In my opinion, Apple is good but they are having a competition of someone who is been around for a long time. Google has been around since 1998, probably less, and Apple has been around for like what? 5 or 8 years? Apple is popular but people has been using an iTouch, iPhone, and an iPad to probably go to Google. I want to see Google and Apple work together and see what they could cross with their brilliant minds.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Sidney Okon
    5th Period

    I believe that Apple is on a much higher level than all these other mobile companies. The are continuing to bring more and more devices that no other companies can keep up with. I don't believe this could even be called a close to even rivalry. For example, I got my iPhone not too long ago and now i hear that the iPad has already come out! I know many other companies are making devices too but there just simply aren't as great as Apple device and I don't see this as much of a competition.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Delma Mathew
    6th period
    It isn't that great that apple is taking over because they have their own pros and cons. Apple is a very nice company, but goggle has its own positive sides. Customers would be happy because they will come up with some blastful ideas for the earth today which can help our future.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Jonathan P.
    6th Period
    My Response to Milan D.'s Question:What I want to know from you is do you really want these ads all over your apps? Do you find them annoying? When you are using your Apple products will you look at the ads, click on them, or just ignore them? Do you think this is right for apple to do this, violate the product you have bought with ads they put in? I would really like to see what you guys think on this and your side of the story.
    In my opinion I strongly believe that these ads are very annoying. Ninety- nine percent of the time I try to ignore the ads but sometimes when I'm playing a game and ad just pops up which is very annoying. But I understand that advertising gives jobs to people which is necessary for them to meet their daily needs.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Brittany Kuusisto
    6th Period
    It's obvious that these companies have a really strong rivalry. That's the way it is. Different companies have to "battle" eachother to see who's the better company. That's what's going on here. The question is, who will be the winner? Also will any other companies come into this fierce competition?

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow advertising on mobile devises. This shows us how far our technology had expanded. Google will always be on top. Everyone uses Google but not everyone uses an ipad or iphone. They have Google everywhere. They have Google in china that’s pretty cool. It is weird how almost everything is starting to have advertisement. Even YouTube has advertisements between videos and before videos. We have advertisements at the mall, TV, and computer and now mobile devises. This is a tough competition but I like Google more then apple.
    Zak shagroni
    Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  51. Annie Donovan
    5th period

    In my opinion, Apple and Google should just join forces to make one super-humongous-overpowering company that takes over technology. Instead of this constant battle between the two, they could join together and make our world even better than it is. Although that would mean less amount of income for the company who is on top, it would benefit our society. Also, the fact that Google and Apple have been rivals since forever does add to the intensity of the matter. It would be like asking the Jets and the Sharks to become one gang; obviously that could never happen.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I never really pay attention to ads, and I'm sure many other people do either. Apple executed good marketing tactics, and made Google go down 750 million. Like Milan said, this is really going to help the economy.

    Mebin Mathew period 5

    ReplyDelete
  53. Casey O'Malley
    4th

    Personally i like apple better than google. I wouldn't really mind if google went and apple stayed. It's obvious that apple and google would have this huge rival going on, but apple is expanding fast and pretty soon everyone is going to have something to do with apple technology thats the way it is, technology is expanding.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Brittany Bernard-4th period

    Apple has come so far since they first started, and they are bigger and better than ever. I think its great they are competing with Google, who have been successful much longer. They are also on two different levels. Google is more of an internet thing that has been one of the largest search engines, while apple is the whole computer brand, along with their large success rate with their phones. Either way, I think its good that google finally has a successful competitor.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Alexis M. Willis - 5th Period :)

    I agree with Jackie Miller, what is the point of putting the aids in the apple product. They need to be glad that customers went out and actually brought the product!!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Reid Stacell
    6th Period

    I was a little confused at first with this article, however I had a little knowledge ahead of time that allowed me to realize that Google is trying to out compete Apple within their own software. I personally think this competition is a great way to have better and more thought out apps for the Apple devices. Friendly competition helps push one another to create better products.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Ayoub Saber
    4th period

    Well , i think that this is the kinda story that people would love to read about.I mean , it talks about freedom and it talks about how hard her life was.The importance of the tree that would give her to know about the outside world and gives her hope.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Ayoub Saber
    4th period

    Well , i think that this is the kinda story that people would love to read about.I mean , it talks about freedom and it talks about how hard her life was.The importance of the tree that would give her to know about the outside world and gives her hope.

    ReplyDelete