Tree beloved by Anne Frank falls down
A chestnut tree beloved by Holocaust victim Anne Frank as she wrote her diary in hiding in the Netherlands fell down Monday, the Anne Frank House museum told CNN. The tree, which was more than 150 years old, had been diseased since 2005 and had a support structure to help keep it upright.
But it fell early Monday afternoon, Anne Frank House representative Maatje Mostart said. "It's a pity. It's an important tree," she said. "Anne Frank looked down on it from her hiding place. It was the only piece of nature she could see." "Something went wrong with the support," she added. "Happily it fell the right way. It didn't fall on the secret annex or on a person, so that was a relief for us."
Frank, a teenage girl whose diary of her time in hiding during World War II was published after she died in the Holocaust, mentions the tree three times in her writings. "Our chestnut tree is in full bloom. It's covered with leaves and is even more beautiful than last year," she wrote in May 1944, shortly before she and her family were discovered and deported to concentration camps.
Since the tree was found to be diseased, hundreds of saplings grown from its chestnuts have been donated to schools and parks around the world, the Anne Frank Museum said.
Frank admired the tree from the attic window of the secret annex where her family hid for two years, before being betrayed. "From my favorite spot on the floor I look up at the blue sky and the bare chestnut tree, on whose branches little raindrops shine, appearing like silver, and at the seagulls and other birds as they glide on the wind," she wrote on February 23, 1944. "As long as this exists, and it certainly always will, I know that then there will always be comfort for every sorrow, whatever the circumstances may be."
The spring before her family and the others hiding with them were captured, the girl focused on the tree's budding life - and her own.
"Our chestnut tree is already quite greenish and you can even see little blooms here and there," she wrote on April 18, 1944. Two days earlier, she'd recorded her first kiss.
Frank died of typhus in Bergen-Belsen just weeks before the Nazi concentration camp was liberated in 1945. But her name, story and message live on through her diary and, also, through her ailing tree. A fungus had left two-thirds of it hollow, said Anne Frank House spokeswoman Annemarie Bekker. A battle began in late 2007 between city officials who wanted to chop it down and activists who insisted it should stay.
But a court injunction, a second-opinion analysis and a committee mobilization left it standing until Monday, barely alive and supported by steel. The tree was a horse chestnut, which is often called a buckeye tree in the United States and a conker tree in the United Kingdom. Through a project and contest launched last year by the Anne Frank Center USA, a New York-based educational nonprofit working with the museum in Amsterdam, 11 sites in the United States will see Frank's tree blossom. They range from the White House and various museums and memorials to a high school that changed U.S. history. A handful of winning applications were driven by youth inspired by Frank– who would be 80 if she'd survived - and her diary.
One girl in Boston, Massachusetts,12-year-old Aliyah Finkel, felt an immediate connection to the writer, so much so that she chose to have her bat mitzvah - the coming of age ceremony for Jewish girls - in the synagogue Frank's family attended in Amsterdam before they went into hiding. "It wasn't just a diary written by some person, it was written by a 13-year-old girl," Finkel said. "I was interested in the story of her life. She had so much hope. There are some parts [of the diary] that are really sad, but it's more inspiring." With the help of her family, and contacts they have with local officials, Finkel's inspired push will bring a tree to Boston Common and lessons about tolerance to the city's public schools.
Farther South, a public school in Arkansas, the only one in the nation to become a national historic site, will also see an Anne Frank tree bloom. Little Rock Central High School senior John Allen Riggins, 17, heard about the contest last summer while listening to National Public Radio. His school was racially integrated in 1957 by the "Little Rock Nine," a development that proved a pivotal moment in the Civil Rights movement. An avid follower of history and politics, Riggins saw parallels between Anne Frank's legacy and that of the Arkansas students. "From all across the world, in different time periods and different social struggles, young people have been caught up in history and these social tensions have come down upon them," Riggins said. "Anne Frank was 14 when she was hiding, and the youngest of the nine was 14."
For Elaine Leeder, it was in many ways her father's youth, and by extension her own, that made her reach out for a part of the tree. The dean of social sciences at Sonoma State University in Rohnert Park, California, Leeder is the daughter of a Holocaust survivor. Her father lost his mother, sister and brother when they were taken to a pit outside their Lithuanian village and gunned down along with about 2,000 other Jews. "The shades were always drawn in my house. We were afraid of neighbors," she said, describing the legacy she carried. "I became a genocide scholar over the years because of my personal story."
The sapling she competed for will be nurtured in the university's Holocaust Camp; Genocide Memorial Grove, where genocides across time are remembered. Beside it will be a sign quoting Frank: "How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." Much of what his daughter wrote came as a surprise to Otto Frank, the family's sole survivor. He retrieved the diary and eventually published it after World War II. More than 30 million copies have been sold.
In a speech he gave in 1968, according to the Anne Frank House, he spoke of the reactions he had upon first reading his daughter's words. "How could I have suspected that it meant so much to Anne to see a patch of blue sky, to observe the gulls during their flight and how important the chestnut tree was to her, as I recall that she never took an interest in nature," he said. "But she longed for it during that time when she felt like a caged bird."
It turns out the saplings selected for sites in the United States are caged themselves. When they arrived in the country in December, the young trees were seized by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Because of sicknesses ravaging horse chestnuts in Europe, the trees will remain in quarantine for three years.
But even as the original tree finally falls, pieces of it are growing strong, reaching for blue skies and welcoming birds across the globe - a living legacy to a girl who understood what life could promise.
From cnn.com
Monday, August 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Please remember to post relevant, educational comments that are at a minimum 4-5 sentences. I look forward to seeing a lot of great things on this blog this school year!!!
ReplyDeleteI remember reading about her life and times in the 8th grade and it interested me very much to see someone like me talk about her life during those times. I'm glad that the museum donated those seedlings so that her memory would carry on even though the tree fell. As much as a pity this is though, I still don't think that the tree falling should be as big as they make it out to be. I love history, but times change. Things and people move on and while many will bawl over this lost memory, I'll just remember the actual person.
ReplyDeleteI agree by saying that yes its sad to hear about a tree that a played a role in one of the most famous books about the Holocaust fall. Yet I do not believe its as important as everyone is making it out to be, yes its sad but thats not what the story is going to be remembered by. If two people were talking and one says "Oh remember that book about Anne Frank" I am pretty sure the other person is not going to say "Oh yea the one about the Chestnut tree." The book is going to be remembered by the person that wrote it.
ReplyDeleteMost people who have read Anne Frank can say that it is truly a brilliant story. To be able to get a glimpse of how treacherous the holocaust was in such a close manor is a real gift. So in response to your comments, yes it is a tree, but when it was valued so higly to someone as well known and important as Anne Frank, dosn't it deserve to be showcased as a huge deal?
ReplyDeleteThe falling of the tree is certainly important in regards to its value. Anne Frank was definitely a gifted writer of her era and her contributions are well known to the intellectuals. This event must carry a significant jewel for it to be reported by CNN news. Anne Frank wished her diary were published as a novel after the Great war, but she was captured before that. she was an honorable lady and therefore should the tree be important to us who were a part of the world war 2 .
ReplyDeletelkljhlhkhl;jl;
ReplyDeleteTyler Morris
ReplyDeleteI think that the tree falling was sad because with it fell a piece of our history. It was a sad history, but aneeded piece no doubt. I think what we should do is look at the history of Anne frank and understand the holocaust and that ewill help us realize that the passing of this tree is really interesting and sad at th same time.
I really don't think that the tree is the big deal everyone is making it out to be. Woohoo, ANNE FRANK looked at it. Big deal, chop it down. I look at the tree in front of my house all the time, but it isn't deemed a monument. And I'm pretty much a historical figure. I'm sure of it.
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
I believe that this story is tragic because it is a piece of history and a memory to Anne Frank. I think the tree was a reminder to everybody, and still will be a reminder of the awful tradgedy of the holocaust during WW2. I also think is that we should all realise what Anne Frank has gone through and give her whole situation respect.
ReplyDeleteJessica Dove
ReplyDelete5th
I think it is really sad that the tree fell down. It was one of the things that kept Anne hoping and wanting to live. Just looking out of a window and seeing the sky and the tree and the birds gave her so much hope. I can't even imagine being stuck in a little area like that for so long.
I think its great that they are saving the seeds and are going to plant them. I believe that in a way those seeds represent Annes life. As she grew up she lived a wonderful life. Then the nazis found her and she went to one of the death camps. Her death is like when the tree collapsed and fell down. Now they have some of the trees seeds and they are going to plant them. The seeds being planted is saying that Anne is in our memory, even if she isn't really here.
It is so tragic that the tree fell. I mean, I absolutely love learning about history. When I read Anne's diary I really could not even imagine putting myself in her shoes.
ReplyDeleteAs it goes for the tree, I feel like it was significant to Anne, and so sad that it fell, and taking a piece of it and planting it is a great way to keep the memory of our past alive. Without silly things like that, we wont be able to remember history. There will be people that say, "the holocaust never happened" and they will only say this when there are no witnesses to tell us about it. If we have a tree, or a spot, and some material item that reminds us of the tragic event it makes it easier to believe. It really keeps the story alive.
AJ Baath
ReplyDelete6th
I also agree that the chestnut tree was an important part of Anne Frank's history. If it weren't, then why did Anne Frank bother to mention it? Maybe for her, the tree symbolized her hope...the way it bloomed and blossomed and whatnot. But now, the tree is history...literally.
Hmm...a tree died. Thats it. End of story. All she did was write about it. I even think the distributing of the seeds is a bit much. Plenty of trees have been written about, have their seeds been scattered around the globe? No. If I wrote about a tree I wouldn't want my folks making a big deal about it when it died? No. Sure, Anne probably enjoyed the tree because it was a way of seeing how things were on the outside, but I seriously doubt she had a big connection to the tree. This is a perfect example of making a big deal out of NOTHING.
ReplyDeleteI don't agree with the people who wants to have the tree chopped down. Anne Frank was a great historical figure who wrote about the holocaust and how horrible living in hiding was. The tree should be regarded as a historical monument because it was her only connection to the outside world. It showed how desperate they were to have a connection to something other than the people they saw for everyday for three years. I'm sure if you were locked up in a room with a window that had a tree outside you would definitely notice it more than you would now. Its great that the tree's saplings are being send around the world and that they'll grow. It'll be constant reminder about how horrible the Holocaust was.
ReplyDeleteAnn Mathew
Period 6
Anne FRank will always be a great memory in my mind. I will never forget when my 8th grade teacher said we were going to be reading stories on the Holocaust I was so happy to be learning about such a heart wrenching toture that hapened outside the United States. I think it was really messed up that there was a controversy about having the tree chopped down in the first place, its a historical landmark. I know that where the tree is many may not agree with Anne Franks culture and customs but thats still no reason to have such hatred to wanting to chop it down. Now the tree falling down isn't such a big deal things die, its life. I know it's important but we have to move on with life.
ReplyDeleteKiah Rauford
4th period
Jae Phan (Period 4)
ReplyDeleteI think it is quite ironic that people and things are noticed more often after a tragic or dramatic event. We as people tend to appreciate things more when something is gone. Honestly, I have never heard of this tree before this article, now I hear about this tree from CNN. For example, how many of us students really knew a lot about Michael jackson, bless his soul, before he passed away? We have no idea how much of an impact he's had on the music industry. He wasn't the King of Pop for nothing. When he died, people suddenly realized what the world just lost and start mourning. The same situation applies to this tree. Even though this tree has historical significance, did anyone honestly appreciate or recognize its existence before it was chopped down?
After re-reading my last post I do want to add something. It may have seemed like I was being insensitive to the holocaust. In effect I'm not. 7 million Jews and countless others were put to death by the hands of murderous Nazi ss officers. That is NOT nothing. The holocaust is one of the worst things ever done by humankind. I was just making the point that Anne enjoyed looking at the tree, it gave her hope, the tree shouldn't reprsent the concentration camps it should represent Annes hope for a better future. But we remember people by what they do not the things they enjoyed looking at. It's dead now people should move on and not complain about it, there's nothing you can do, things die. So we need to move on and remember Anne frank for what she did.
ReplyDeleteJasmyne Amos
ReplyDelete3rd prd
I agree that the tree isn't any ordinary tree. I think its good that there are peices of it going around the world for it to grow in other places. Now its not only the diary thaat will remind us, there is also a tree to help. I can never forget that time in history.
Well, obviously the tree reminds everyone of Anne Frank. When I think of it though, it causes me to think about the Holocaust and World War II. This may be just me, but the tree holds bad memories regarding warfare and genocide. So basically, I'm agreeing with everyone who has said that the tree isn't much of a big deal compared to Anne Frank herself. It's just a tree.
ReplyDeleteDaniel Thai
Period 7
Steffie Philip
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I dont think they should chop the tree down cause it can be a rememberance to the holocaust especially if the tree was memroable to someone in the holocaust like Anne Frank. The tree should be something people think about the holocaust. The holocaust was something really important in our history so we should keep the things we have let of it.
3rd prd
ReplyDeleteI must say that i am truly happy that the tree is going to good cause and not just in the trash! I'm not saying that I expected them to just throw the tree away but its going to multiple places; and being that it is going to many places gives many children and adults a glimps and idea of what life was during World War II. I think that now that they (many schools and museum) have this artifact it will truely increase the knowledge that we have of one of the most gruesome wars that none of us wants to remember. I do however hope that not only do they send pieces of the chesnut tree to popular countries like the USA and the United Kingdom; but places that aren't to familiar with the war or don't have a well made concept of what happened in the war, why the war happened, etc. This truely amazing item will forever inscribe what happened during one of the most important times of world history into our hearts and minds.
I, personally, enjoyed reading Anne’s diary last year. I think it is very tragic that the tree fell, but at the same time it’s good that it’s being sent all over the world. The tree was a symbol of how Anne saw comfort in hard times. This tree was a part of the holocaust, and to still have something here that was that important to a holocaust victim it is very special.
ReplyDeleteMariah
3rd period
Cortney Corley.
ReplyDelete4th period.
Like many people above, i do agree that the tree's significance increased after it fell down and they are making it a bigger deal than it really is. There were many other things written about in her diary that didn't get this much fame. But i also think it is a great thing that they are distributing seedlings around to different places. It reminds us of what a horrible time the holocaust was and it reminds us of a famous person in it; Anne Frank. But it seemed was important to her because like it says in the article, she wrote about how it grew up with her and thinking about it gave her something to do in a small annex.
Jay Shah
ReplyDelete6th period
I agree this tree isn't just any tree off the street, but i agree with Joseph more or less. I mean who cares if Anne Franked looked at it. Does it really make the tree worth keeping, or the school in which the tree resides in a national figure? It's just a tree and no matter what person "looked" at it, its still a tree. I mean i bet George Washington has looked at plenty of trees. Even though he wasn't held captive, he started the country we live in. That's my opinion and yeah. I bet that half the world knows Anne Frank. But I also bet that half those people didn't know that tree was so special. At least I didn't.
Myles Patterson
ReplyDelete4th Period
Last year in 8th grade we studied the holocaust and read many books about it. Personally, I was not one of the people in the class who read the Diary of Anne Frank, but from what I learned I can understand how Anne Frank could have held on to something as simple as a tree. In such a hostile environment in which the Jews were mistreated and put down just for being Jews, you would need something to hold on to because it can be easy to lose hope in a situation like that. To you, sure it’s just a tree, but to her it was a symbol of hope, and so the tree is held as a symbol of hope to others as well. Think about it this way; if you were held captive or put in jail or something of that nature, and you had something as simple as a comb or a piece of paper or a picture that gave you hope or reminded you of what was outside captivity/prison, wouldn't you hold on to it dearly?
4th period
ReplyDeleteAnne Frank's story is amazing i couldn't even imagine going through so much and not being able to do anything about it. The tree sure its very significant but not something they should be having a "war" about it. Don't get me wrong its pretty important but what they need to do is chop it up and put it in different museums around the world. This is a reponse towards: Emily Panozzo, To the question should it really be showcased? MY answer: Yes, because its still historical even though it is a tree off the street.
Till next time this is Captain Awesome signing off
Grace Bonojo
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
When I first read the book in 8th grade and learned about Anne Frank's life I never really paid that much attention to the tree she talked about...I mean seriously it was just a tree. But now that her beloved tree of hope and joy is dead I think it's a great idea to try and preserve it by planting its seeds all over the world. Planting the seeds not only helps the memory of Anne live on but it also helps the history of the Holocaust live on.
For all those of you who think the tree isn't important and they should've just chopped it down would you have wanted them to chop down the Liberty Tree in Boston? The same tree where people planned a rebellion that caused your freedom and the freedom of everyone else in the U.S.A?
Alexander Pappan
ReplyDelete5th Period
All of the statements above all have their own truth behind them. I agree most with Joshua Conner. His statements are true and to the point. they may seem a bit harsh but none the less, they're both very true and realistic. The tree had such great significance and it is sad that it has fallen. But i believe we should continue to move forward. The distribution of the saplings is an amazing idea. It's a reminder of what Anne Frank kept her hope on. The distribution of the saplings will keep that hope alive.
Marissa Moss
ReplyDelete5th
I agree that the tree really never stuck out in the book when I read it. But when you actually pick out what she said about it, it seems like the tree was something seriously important to her. Kinda of like, it was a sort of motivation. Seeing it bloom every year let her know that the outside world was still alive and well. And if I was Anne and I was going to be remembered as she is, I would want something that gave me hope everyday to be remembered too.
Alvin Mei
ReplyDeletePeriod TWO
Looking back to 8th grade when I was learning about Anne Frank, they never mentioned anything about a tree, not even in the movie we watched, thus making it not as important. This tree can not be compared to the Liberty Tree in Boston because that Tree is more significant than the Chestnut Tree.
In answer to Grace Bonojos question: The thing here is not chopping down the tree. (many people have this misconception so far) the tree fell on it's own, it states that clearly in the first paragraph. And when the liberty tree dies, sure everyone will be sentimental and sad, for a time, they'll (they being the u.s. Goverenment) will probably keep prices of the bark to send to the smithsonian and the library of congress and so on, but I doubt they'll scatter is seeds and/or saplings across the globe, or even across the country, after it's dead, it's dead. And after a while no one will care any more. And this tree does NOT represent my freedom, freedom is a human right and should not be represented by a tree. So once again when the tree is dead, it's dead, and the general poulatiob won't care if it's gone or not.
ReplyDeleteTara Phillips
ReplyDelete6th
When Anne Frank looked at this tree she was reminded of what freedom was, the very freedom she craved more than anything else in the world while she was hiding. This tree is important because it represented the freedom of the world and how beautiful it was even when the world was going through a rough stage for her. The people who see the tree like this would wish to protect it at all cost, which is a good intention all together, but no matter the importance the tree is part of nature and deserves to die when the time is right. The memories from what she's seen from this tree is special to her, but we could never actually experience the same thing nor would we want to. I believe whatever happens will happen for the good.
Samantha Twardowski
ReplyDelete3rd period
I believe that the Diary of Anne Frank was a fantastic and interesting book. I enjoyed reading it to learn about the Holocaust.The book showed the true reality of the Holocaust and a person living in that time, which is even better so you can grasp the information of the situation better. It is very sad that the tree has fallen, but I am also happy that it is going to a good cause and not going to waste. It is fantastic that they are sending peices of the tree around the world and letting people be able to see a great peice of history. It is a perfect way to learn more about the history of the Holocaust as well. So overall I am very sad the the tree has fallen but I am glad they are doing something with the precious remains of a great pice of history.
I disagree with people that want to chop down the tree. Anne Frank is a historic figure and will be remembered throughout the years. If you have a baseball signed by Babe Ruth would you through it out? No it's worth thousands of dollars. The tree is somewhat of Anne Frank's autographed baseball in a way. For that reason I think the tree should be keep and not chopped up.
ReplyDeleteSamantha Pecson
ReplyDelete6th period
I remember reading about Anne Frank last year, in eighth grade. After finishing the book, I didn't realize that the tree was a like a symbol to her. A symbol of hope, life and one day for her freedom.. I agree to all the other comments that people posted about the tree being an importance to history. I'm also glad that the tree Anne Frank glazed upon while she was in hiding has seeds that will be send around the world, so that the history and memory of a thirteen year old girl that kept a diary while in hiding, Anne Frank, will live on..
The story of the tree is so tragic. Because it was a very important piece of nature that reminded Anne Frank that there was still hope. The fact that it fell is horrible. But I'm really glad that people decided to plant a part of it back. Anne Frank was an extraordinary young girl who went through so much. I think she deserves to be honored. In that case for still planting a part of the tree.
ReplyDeleteMerin Mathew
ReplyDeleteperiod 6th
I think the tree gives hope and motivation for Ann Frank which she full of. I never know how someone could be so full of hope at a dreadful time in life because of a tree. But I think if the tree should be let to die and not tried to be help because let nature takes it own course. We don't need to change the circle of life also. Besides, we do not need a tree to remember Ann Frank.I will always remember her for the brave and hopeful Ann Frank.
Fifth Period
ReplyDeleteIf I were Anne and had to go in hiding, I would try to find as much connections with the outside world as I can. With the given circumstances, I would have probably turned to the blue sky, the birds, and the trees as well. And if I were to see my beloved chestnut tree fall down due to some support failure, I would be sad and angry. This tree was the only thing that connected the world of hiding to the real world outside. Anne was basically just trying to get the best of both worlds, which is normal since she was a 14 year-old, just like me. Now as for the tree saplings, I believe that it is right for now to put them under quarantine. This will help protect the precious saplings and they will continue the legacy when the time is right. However, I believe that one this "generation" has its own saplings, they shouldn't be confined to certain places. I think that they should be put everywhere, from parks to schools and from malls to any other place. This is so that people will be reminded of the Holocaust more frequently so hopefully it will never happen again. I believe that Anne would be happier too if her legacy would spread through every place in the world, to let the world learn from the past.
The tree that Anne Frank saw through the window of the annex was very important to her because it showed her the meaning of freedom. Even though that the tree fell on its own the community should have tried to help it grow so that other generations could see it. the tree to Anne must have felt like a friend seeing it so free must have helped her to stay confident that she would soon be free and if Anne was still alive she must have felt angry,and sad to see that the tree has fallen. The tree meant alot to Anne and it is trajic that it has fallen but we can remember the tree by reading about it an remembering Anne and what she has been through.
ReplyDeleteThe story of the tree is very sad. The tree gave Anne hope during the tough times of the Holocaust. Anne Frank deserves to be honored for what she has done. I think that the small trees are a great way to do that.
ReplyDeleteDylan Allotta
ReplyDelete5th
As important as the tree was to Anne Frank, I don't think it should be seen as such a horrible thing. People can also view the tree falling in a positive way as well. As if the time of the Holocaust is passing away, and we are moving on from that horrible time in history. No doubt that it is sad to those who it meant much to through those times, but I believe it's important to view it from a positive prospective as well.
I see many more people think that the tree is important so my side is pretty much losing. But our side is right! I mean she looked at it! Seriously why are you people making such a big deal out of it. And except for mine Joseph Anderson comment is the best! C'mon side that thinks the tree doesn't matter. Give some better eveidence!
ReplyDeleteKAYLAH MOORE 2 <3
ReplyDeleteAnne and her family did have as many outside connections as they could. I can understand how she admired something that has no human abilities. Like what i learned in my english 1 class, Anne uses the tree as a symbol of life... Although the tree is deteriorating, i think Anne would move on from the tree; in a kinda upseting manor though. But all in all the tree as a symbol will live on for eternity, and so will the story of Anne Frank.
Gabriel Camera (6th Period)
ReplyDeleteThis blog is very interesting. I think that Anne Frank,14 year old girl, is one of the most popular and most discussed jewish victims of the Holocaust. The importance of the tree was that the tree would give the girl information about the outside World. And also, it was the only contact with nature. The tree helped her to keep her hope.
Logan Gloster
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think the chestnut tree and Anne Frank were connected greatly. The tree outlasted Anne but it was alive when Anne was and like her story its knowledge and experience were passed around the world. It is sad that a tree famed by a girl who shared her suffering with the world to help teach us about hate fell. This tree gave Anne hope despite bleak conditions and showed her that even when it seemed like the whole world was ugly and hateful,some things were still beautiful and innocent.
Keep up the good work, students!!! You have all made some very valid comments thus far.
ReplyDeleteI think the chestnut tree was a a great imporatnce to Anne Frank because it gave her confidence and hope that she can make it through the hards times. I think they shouldn't cut down the tree because its a historical figure. You can also tell that the tree was also important because that was the only part of nature she had a connection with.
ReplyDeleteCharlene Sigua
ReplyDelete4th
I think the chestnut tree was very important to Anne Frank. To her, it showed that there's still hope in the world, no matter what happens. I'm not saying that this is really devastating and the world is gonna end or something. It's just that this tree was the only thing she had left to connect with nature while she was in hiding. It gave her hope and confidence through those hard times she was going through during the Holocaust.
Anastasia Konik, period 5th
ReplyDeleteAnne Frank is a historical figure, known for her heartbreaking story during the Holocaust. She was in hiding during this tragic time in history, and should be remembered for her bravery during the struggle, but I, personally, disagree with the majority of my classmates. She was making a connection with this tree to remind her that there is hope to go through and make it out of this difficult time, but the importance of this tree is being blown out of proportion in my opinion. Yes, it was tragic that this memorable tree has fallen, yet the memory will still remain. Though the tree has fallen, Anne Frank will be remembered in history for what she had gone through and done. Not to sound insenstive, but this is a tree. It has lived an important role in a certain person's life, and now it has fallen & died. Life will go on, and Anne Frank will still be remembered even if the tree isn't there to represent her hopes anymore.
Kenneth Pranoto 2 period
ReplyDeleteMy opinion of this tree is that people are daring to try to cut, which makes me mad. It was one thing that i think anne frank most desired and, we can maybe learn something about this tree. I think joseph's idea was lame(no offense). It's apart of history and we should keep it so when we go to Netherland we could feel how terrible it was just to live in that situaion.If Anne Frank trees gets cut down it should give some peice to her mueseum and other Holocaust mueseum. Thats is what i think.
2 Period.
Alright let me start on this the tree that Ann Frank mentioned wasn't beloved or mentioned much she only wrote about it to pass the time. It was like us people these days watching TV or playing video games except she couldn't watch TV (since video games weren't invented then :( ) it was way to look to the future and survive another day. She even asks her dad in the early chapters, yes I did read the book, if she could watch TV but he said that she couldn't because it would attract attention. So yeah the tree was just to pass the time.
ReplyDeleteHamza R.
5th period
I couldn't use my google account
To me, I really think this tree really is significant! I mean, in her diary one can conclude that if Anne Frank was still alive to see this great tree in it's deteriorating form, she was do whatever she can to help it. In this article, you see how she praises the tree of it's beauty and power. Ya I said it "power". There had to be, it must have been. No way can a fourteen year old girl in hiding with everything going on around her just look at a tree, even if she can see that only tree, and adores it like she does. I mean, if I was in her shoes, I would worry about things that were happening around me. But I can feel as she writes, she writes with not a single worry not even a drop. I think they shouldn't cut down the tree, but what can they do? Did they not support it? Did they not try all they could? I know this tree is important and has impacted people all over, but remember what ever is born will die. No matter how important it maybe it can never stop the cycle of nature. Everything that happens, happens with a purpose. The tree will die and give space and nutrients to the uncoming tree that will take it's place. I say let it die off and finish telling it story.
ReplyDeleteIts important to keep up memorials about the Holocaust for many reasons. I really don't care if they make everything slightly referencing to the holocaust a memorial because I would rather be spammed with tones of monuments then go through another genocide of the same magnitude. The tree seemed to be pretty important to Anne Frank but the matter is how it's important to us, where Anne Frank uses the tree to remind her of nature, that tree (or its remnants) should remind us of the holocaust.
ReplyDeleteTravis Crissman 2nd period
ReplyDeleteBefore i had read the story i have had great knowlege about the time and after reading and interveiwing so many people i could almost get a feel for how and why times where like that so
yes the tree was great and was inspratinal to anne and i understand why she hardly had enough to eat and was not allowed to walk talk durring the day and only at night so that was her only realy fredom but i do have to say that it was sad that it got rotted and died but that to anne should have been a reminder for life every thing has a beging and a end.
Nick Grieger 2
ReplyDeleteThrough that window, there was her connection to the outside world and her hope to keep staying in hiding. As the tree was dieing, the city officials wanted to cut it down. Why would they cut down the tree if it had importance to Anne Frank and the rest of the city? After the tree fell down, I was glad that they gave the seeds away to parks, museums, and schools. I believe the seeds are reminders to not discriminate others.
Tangible objects are important. Theres a saying that a picture is worth a million words. That saying means that a object that you can tear, rip, and burn will have memories of a time. Lets say a relative you are very close to dies. When that person dies most people usually take one item; a hat, a robe, a pocketknife, a necklace, a clock, anything that the person who passed away had that symbolized something about them that would not be forgotten. The way he laughed, the way she talked, their accent, their habits, their dress. Everything about a person we love is importent. That tree is Anne's item. Because she was a leaf. On a tree as we know theres the leaves, that go to the twigs, that go to the branches, that go to the trunk, which goes down to the roots. The roots. The roots are the place of all life. They take nutrients from the water and from the earth, there surroundings and influences. Anne Frank is a leaf that changed the roots, the roots of a generation. The roots of a human kind that dosen't judge by color, by personal belief... but by heart.
ReplyDelete"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart..."
~~Anne Frank
Spread the seed's spread the spirt!!!
John Gann
4th Period
:)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAyoub Saber
ReplyDelete4th period
Well , i think that this is the kinda story that people would love to read about.I mean , it talks about freedom and it talks about how hard her life was.The importance of the tree that would give her to know about the outside world and gives her hope.
You could say that maybe in a hundreed years, Anne Frank's spirit will be populating America more than there are people in Fort Wort, TX. That seed will become a pndemic,and peolpe will look at every tree that sprouted from the original,and they will remember the name Anne Frank, and the tree that helped tell her story. If I was able to leave the country before my bar mitzvah, assuming I even had a passport and money to do such, I think I speak for all Jews when I say, it really would have been an extordinary expirience to have a Bar/Bot Mitzvah, in the same place where that young girl sat, and the tree right outside that door.
ReplyDeleteMarcus Levine (JaguarPirates)
4th period
Signed, the Jewish kid
Anne Frank was a brave person. To know that one of the only connections she had to the outside world while in hiding is now gone is really sad. I think they should at least try to replant or at least do something to keep it alive for the rest of the world to remember the little things in life that we take for granted.
ReplyDeleteAndrew Guilbeau
3rd period
This story was interesting and has sparked many emotions from me, along with everyone else. Of course, Anne Frank was one of those 'unlucky' people who are just cursed with a fate like hers. Even with being placed in a small amount of space for two years, she remained optimistic for a better day to come, though she died just before that day would happen. Still, her story touches many people and I have to agree that her story, along with several other Holocaust victims, is interesting to take note of as many of us will not be cursed with such a fate. And to see that a tree Anne Frank grew to enjoy in the darkest of days has fallen, it is good to note that the seedlings will be to put to its proper use, of growing into a new tree. Though there is controversy over the tree being chopped down and that some of the seedlings have not reached their destination, it is important to note that this is just a tree. There is nothing to fuel anger or confusion over the fact that it is a tree that someone, who died, used to adore in the bleakest of days. That said, this story is good to note that the proper use of the tree was done and that many people who have taken to heart Anne Frank's story will indeed experience a part of it at least.
ReplyDelete3rd Period
Chris Bready
ReplyDelete6th
I couldn't even imagine being a fourteen year old girl and be alive during the holocaust. Better yet having to hide for two years and have nothing to do.The tree was about all that mattered to her because it reminded her about life before this happened and the beautiful sight of nature. I am very sad that it fell down and if Anne Frank was still alive she would be depressed about it falling also. They shouldn't argue over it because no doubt about it,it should stay up because it was a piece of history.
I believe the chestnut tree was a very important part of Anne Frank's history. For her it could've been something to help keep her from being depressed. The tree symbolized the freedom that she longed for. It gave her hope. The tree is a great part of history and will always be.
ReplyDeleteNicolas Alba
2nd period
Alex Cyriac Period 5
ReplyDeleteI feel that this report has an important historical significance behind it. Anne Frank is one the most iconic people to live during the Holocaust. Her story has touched millions of people around the world and has come to be admired both as an act of defiance and for her will to survive in the face of such danger. Therefore, I believe that it was a good idea to allow the saplings to be spread around the world. In a way, it ensures that Ann Frank will live on in two ways: through her book and through the new trees.
I think that the tree should be respected but shouldn't be made such a big deal. I find the story interesting and so i think that we need to remember Anne and not the tree she saw.
ReplyDelete-Ryan Haines
Saimol Edaparampil
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I don't agree on the fact that the tree should be cut down because it is a important part of Anne Frank and a important part of our history. But since it has already fallen, the next thing that should be done is that it should be showcased at the Holocaust Museum or a site where the Holocaust is remembered. Also its a good thing that they are sending the tree's sapling around the world so that that historical event can be remembered throughout the whole world rather than some places.
This tree was very important to Anne Frank and in a way, I think it represents her. The fact that it fell is depressing (as was Anne's story itself), but it still lives on through its saplings(as Anne lives on through her diary). I think that sending the saplings to different places in the world is a great idea and that it is a great way to remember Anne and her struggles. The Holocaust was a tragic event in history and I feel that because of Anne Frank this tree was a little part of it. And that is why it should be spread throughout the world, so we can all remember Anne, who is an inspiration to us all.
ReplyDeleteI agree that this tree was important to Anne Frank, but I won't remember remember her as that girl who talked about a tree. I'm going to remember as that girl who diary inspires whoever reads it. Its not like her spirit was in that tree.
ReplyDeletePrerna Kamnani
ReplyDelete4th Period
Anne Frank's tree is significant. It is a historical landmark that is a constant reminder to us about the Holocaust. Cutting the down would be the wrong thing to do. It would be like erasing a part of history. Sending the saplings to different parts of the world is a great way to keep her memory alive. Anne Frank is an inspirational and honorable girl and this just reminds us all the more.
Andrew Aneke
ReplyDeleteWorld Geography Pre Ap
3rd Period..
I really agree with Joshua Conner. No disrespect, but it's a tree. Anne Frank probably knew it would die someday. I understand how this is an important tree in history. It symbolized hope for Anne Frank and I can tell because she was captivated by it and wrote about it in her journal. But now that the tree has fallen, we can't do anything about it. We can't fight mother nature. I really think for people to be making all this commotion about a fallen tree doesnt make any sense. Nevrtheless, sending to different parts of the world is a little overboard. Trees fall all the time. Is it because Anne Frank wrote about it that we should be doing this? I think we should just move on.
I know that Ann Frank's tree was very important to several Holocaust victims. I also know that Ann's tree has been there through the good times and the band ones. To me, it's kind of like a symbol of hope for people. Now, even though that tree does not stand,, its hope still protrays to all people.
ReplyDeleteI do recall reading about Anne Frank and I remember her writing about the chestnut tree. I don't think it's necessary to send the tree's saplings to other schools. We should remember the importance of Anne Frank not of the tree. I do understand that the tree was her only way to see things outside of the annex. But I don't think it's that serious it's the circle of life. We're born, we live, then we die. But I don't think it's necessary to cut down the tree on the other hand. I think they should put it in the Holocaust Museum.
ReplyDeleteShahab Khorshidpanah
ReplyDelete6th period
Anne Frank's tree is important and signifigant. It was like a friend of her's that was outside the attic, but i beleive that this tree falling down is not something negative, it can be positive. This tree falling down and making Cnn news and telling the whole world about this reminds people of Anne Frank and her family and the 6 million jews that were murdered for no good reason. It reminds people that we are lucky that we are living in a time like this and that we have freedom and laws to protect us. It shows how we should be thankfull for everything we have, because in world war II, the jews had nothing but fear and pain. They watched there loved ones die and were seperated from there family. This tree falling is a very big deal because it reminds us all of Anne Frank and should make us all wiser and more thankfull
Courtnei Coleman
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I think that the tree is a very special landmark because it was associated with anne frank and the holocaust. It was something that Anne loved dearly. It is very sad that the tree fell down but if you look on the bright side, pieces of its remains are being shared with different areas of the world and it didn't fall on top of the secret annex, another important area for the Franks during the holocaust. Even though the tree isn;t standing anymore to represent Anne's struggles, its sapplings being spread around the world is also an honor and memory.
Shahab Khorshidpanah 6th period
ReplyDeleteI beleive that it is good thing that they let the world know about this and showing on cnn about this tree falling. It reminds us of the history of Anne Frank and how she used that tree as inspiration and motivation to keep going and fighting forward. It also reminds us of how we should be thankfull that we live in a time like this. The tree was like a friend outside of the attic. When i studied the holocaust i couldnt imagine what it would be like to be a jew in world war II. They suffered by losing there loved ones and being treated like dirt. The tree reminds us and it falling is a big deal and we should recognize it as a big deal.
Tyler Powers Fifth Period
ReplyDeleteAnne Frank story showed how out of any bad situation always think positive, although this was tragically not the case for her.The tree was the only thing she had to connect to nature. To her the tree was the bright light in a horrible and unthinkable situation. The tree falling down on it own was the sad but correct way to let it happen. This is because the tree fell down in grace. If they cut down the tree, it shows the people who would be cut the tree down really don't care of the symbolic nature of the tree.The tree symbolized a bright light in a dark situation. With this said, replanting the seeds of the fallen tree is like how Otto Frank published his daughters diary, because they are keeping the memory of a very influential girl, Anne Frank alive.
Erica Barrera
ReplyDelete5th period
Ok i disagree with the people who wanted to cut down the tree.I mean thats one important tree and for the people wanting to just cut it down is extremely wrong.Anne Frank wouldnt of like that idea.That tree was her tree. A tree she talked about in her very important diary.Totally wrong for those people to even think of wanting to do that!
Jade Martin
ReplyDelete4th period
It is quite sad that the tree fell down. Mainly for the people who were alive at that time and who looked to Anne Frank as an inspriration.Its great that there are other trees in all different places around the world. Its kind of like a fresh start since the tree fell. Even though the tree fell, Anne Frank is a lasting legacy and we will never forget the Holocaust.
Carolyne Lu
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
This tree is very special. A lot of people may say it's just a tree but it was the tree that motivated Anne to keep living. Without it, she probably wouldn't have lasted as long in hiding, so I think the tree should stay. However, since it can't stay in the same spot, I think it's great that the seeds are being sent to other states for other people to admire and remember Anne Frank, since she was such a a strong girl through such a heartbreaking time.
The falling of Anne's Chestnut tree is very unfortunate & significant. The tree gave her hope for freedom. Anne was an iconic, pyschedelic soul that illuminated us with the simplicity of her message. I recollect as a class we were moved by her experiences and the fact that she could still crack jokes and keep us smiling from ear to ear. What was that message you may ask?
ReplyDeleteThat message was to appreciate the little things & we should only reciprocate it back with the same warmth. As for the tree saplings, it's great they're debuting them. We should preserve her memory for generations because her waiflike, yet mature attitude was very much authentic.
Danielle Uy
5th Period
Matthew Louis
ReplyDelete6th period
I disagree with the people who wanted the tree chopped down. That tree was one of the many things that gave Anne Frank hope. Those school who will hopefully get a part of the tree should count themselves very lucky that they get an awesome part of history, that many schools and people wish to have. They aren't just getting a tree, they are getting a tree with so much emotion behind it it's amazing. Anne Frank was a brilliant 14 year old girl, and even though she died in a concentration camp, her life and wisdom still live on.
Lillian Cancino
ReplyDelete3rd period
After I read this story 3 times, I still don't get how people wanted the tree chopped down. I agree with Mattew that the tree was very significant to Anne Frank. If Anne's father said that she wasn't interested in nature that much, what does that tell you when they say that the tree was her favorite tree? That tree was her only hope to ever getting out from that annex and things being ok. Anne Frank to me is a very admireable person that will live on forever through what are now museums.
I remember reading about Anne Frank, and the chestnut tree in 8th grade. I don't agree with the fact they should cut down the tree, but we can't do anything about it now. Since it's already down, I think it's a good idea that they send little bits of the tree, around the world so that it can be shown to a lot more people. But the majority of the tree should be kept at the Holocaust Museum where people can come and look at it as welll. Anne Frank and the chestnut tree will always be remembered. (:
ReplyDeleteNina Tames.
3rd Period.
Mackenzie Krus
ReplyDelete6th period
I very much loved reading Anne's diary last year. I think it is very sad that the tree fell. The tree symboled Anne's comfort in very hard and difficult times. The tree was a part of the holocaust, and to have something there that was very important and close to the holocaust victim is a very special thing.
Kaitlyn Trei
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I do feel bad for Anne Frank that she had to spend 2 years of her life in hiding not being able to do anything or have friends or even to go outside and enjoy nature. Its unfair that the tree fell down.She really did love that tree and I think that the tree that she saw out her window gave her hope that someday she would be free to enjoy it in person. I'm glad that they are sending the tree's seeds to different places so everyone can remember Anne.
Victoria Hackney
ReplyDelete2nd Period
It's a tree. Yes, it was something important to someone who is very well known but still it is just a tree. Did the tree mean alot to her? Yes, but it is just a tree. Other people who were in terrible situations have found hope in things that ment something to them, but that doesn't mean it has to mean something to everyone else. It is just a tree.
Samantha Martin
ReplyDelete4th period
It's a shame that the tree has fallen down, being that it was significant to Anne Frank. The tree was not only a reminder of an important historical figure in a tragic time, it was a symbol of hope. I am happy that the saplings are being given to various schools, they will be great pieces of history to share and hopefully a reminder that even the little things in life,like this tree, matter.
I think that the tree falling is tragic and truly sad. Im sure there were alot of people who felt that as long as that tree was alive in a way anne was still alive,and now its gone.I agree with the people that wanted to keep it up because it is historical and anne frank is famous everywhere she is a really important part of history. So why shouldnt the tree that she looked at from out of the annex be important too?
ReplyDelete5th period
deara mayo
It is a sad thing to hear that the Chesnut tree that Anne Frank wrote about in her diary fell down, but while reading Anne Franks diary in eighth grade, the Chesnut Tree never really stood out to me. But that doesn't mean that it is not important. Because it is important. The tree was somthing that Anne Frank could look at and see part of the world that she had been away from for so long. I can't imagen not being abel to go outside for a more than two years, not being abel to enjoy the sunlight, or breath fresh air. I can understand why she looked at this tree and why it was so important to her. It was her connection to the world outside the secret annex.
ReplyDeleteAbin Joes
ReplyDelete2nd period
I know there is a whole book about Anne Frank but I have not read it. But in the other hand I have read the play about it last year in english, so I pretty much have the main idea. Unlike many people I like reading books, and this play/book is the most pointless one so far. Do not take me the wrong way but I did not enjoy reading the Diary of Anne Frank so I am not obligated to fight for the cheasnut tree that Anne Frank looked down on from her hiding place. But that tree for Anne was the only part of the outside world she could see while she was hiding and it made her happy to have that sliver of hope that she could look down on so I am not saying it was not significant. What I am saying is that I belive if something is in the condition of that cheasnut tree and is longing for an ending, it deserves an ending.
Amber Tunstall
ReplyDelete4rd
It just goes to show that nature will always be loved by someone. I'm happy that they allowed the saplings to grow. The tree will still live on in those saplings. Though, it is quite upsetting that such a tree, one that gave hope and comfort to a young woman, died such a sad way. It just goes to show that everyone/thing will die eventually, sad as it may be.
I don't think the tree should be cut down because it did mean alot to Anne Frank. Cutting down the tree would be like breking something in a museum. I think it kept her spirts up and gave her reassurance that everything would be ok. But not only did it mean alot to Anne Frank, it means alot now to people from around the world. I think cutting down the tree would take away a piece of Anne Frank after she has given us so much insight to the Holocaust and what it was like.
ReplyDeleteyvonne scisco (4th period)
ReplyDeleteI think its said that a pice of histry of a struggle in this world has fallen. Just think if that tree didnt live this long as it did we maybe would never know if Anne's hope and fath of living would have ever been there.Even tho I never got the chance to see the tree im glad that i at least had the chance to read about it and its and Anne's remarkabul histry. I beleave that no matter what Anne Frank will long live long after her death because her story will still live in the mindes of new readers of the next sentry and the sentrys to come.
Kyne Onyenze
ReplyDelete3rd Period
Poor Tree. I feel sorry for it and also for Anne Frank. Without that tree Anne had no spirit and no goal to live for. That tree meant alot to Anne Frank and i don't think it should be cut down but since it already fell there is no use for it. But at the same time i think its a good thing to send pieces of the tree all over the world so that other people could see what it looked like and can kind of gett a glimpse of what it meant to Anne Frank.
Jeffrey Jhingree
ReplyDelete4th Period
I believe that cutting the tree down wouldn't have been such a big deal. The tree was diseased and wasn't able to support itself. I understand that it was important to Anne Frank since that was what she saw through the attic window, but that was about 60 years ago. The tree was there for over 150 years. Anne Frank made it important since she wrote about it in her diary. If she hadn't wrote about the tree...Would it have been so important?
Even though the tree has fallen, everyone will always remember it by the seeds that were given away to many people and the fact that it was a part of Anne Frank. That it meant so much to her to write about it in her journal so when someone sees this tree or the seeds that came from it they will always remember Miss Frank, for no one will remember this tree unless someone has read about anne frank or has a part of the tree.
ReplyDeleteAlexis Landoski, 2nd period
It is so tragic that one of the oldest and most important land markings during the Holocaust has now falling. This tree symbolized so much to Anne Frank and still to many others. If the tree would've been cut down it would have caused a big controversy that would have been something Anne Frank wouldn't have wanted. The tree has brought so much more togetherness around the country and now it will live on as a legacy. It will be missed but, not forgotten.
ReplyDeleteSarah Raines
ReplyDelete4th period
I have to say I agree with Abin Jones the tree does have great value, but if it is dead it would only be right to ...well chop it down. Otherwise it will simply rot. The tree will not be forgotten as I'm sure if the tree is ever studied this article might come up. There are countless pictures and memories. It's historic yes, but like many historic things, they don't all last forever.
Ervin Ricasio
ReplyDelete5th Period
It was sad to hear that the tree fell. This historic piece should have been taken cared more. Whenever I hear about the holocaust the first thing that pops up in my mind would be Anne Frank. That tree was very important to her. The tree helped her and her family by hiding from the Nazi's during World War II. The tree was very significant, and I think they should leave a mark or something in rememberance of it.
Joel Jacob
ReplyDelete4th period
I believe Anne Frank's life played a role in american history. The tree was important to her which is why it should be kept in memory of her. Most people appreciate Anne for giving an understanding of what life was like during the Holocaust. The tree is a an object in the nature, people can take a look at it to remember how life was like years ago. Cutting this tree down is like removing Anne Frank out of our history. In other words, I don't think the tree should be cut down.
Ann Lobo from Period 5
ReplyDeleteI think it's pretty sad that the tree crashed down. I mean, it gave her hope and it meant so much to her. It was also the only piece of nature she was able to see from the annex she used to live in before she died. I also think that it was lucky to most people that it didn't crash into the annex. If it actually crashed into the annex, it would have been an even worse loss.
Amita Batra
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I believe that Anne Frank was a major part of world history. I really enjoyed reading her story in the 8th grade. Talking about cutting down that tree is like cutting a piece of history out of the world. I'm glad that instead of having people cut it down, it fell down on its own. I also would like to say that I agree with Grace Bonojo when she states that they should try to preserve the tree and plant its seeds all over the world. I guess that it would be a good idea to do that because that way every region in the world can hold on to the part of history.
Brianna Scott
ReplyDelete5th
Indeed it is sad to hear about the tree falling but what seems like something major to others doesn't mean it's a big deal to all of us. The tree is very much a significant landmark & reminder of Anne Frank herself but like some other people said I don't remember her because of some tree she talked about, as a matter of fact I don't even remember her mentioning a tree... But atleast its being shared with others around the world.
Ann Lobo from period 5
ReplyDeleteI think that it's pretty sad that the tree actually crashed down. I mean, it meant so much to her. It was her only piece of nature she could see from the annex. I also think that it was pretty lucky that the tree didn't crash down on the annex. It would have been an even bigger loss if it fell on the annex she lived in for two straight years.
Rhea Cruse
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I kinda sorta dont think that this whole tree falling thing is such a big deal. We should focus more on the history of Anne Frank instead of the tree that she looked upon on. Anne Frank is a historical figure with or without the tree. No need for pity on the chestnut tree ... there's many more to come!
I believe the tree had a meaning to Anne Frank but all so to the common person. To Anne Frank it represented the beauty of the world outside of the annex. To us it was a symbol of the Holocaust, one of the most horrible genocide ever. It is sad that the tree die from disease but the circle of life takes it toll on all things. It is nice to know that the saplings will be planted in a variety of places so that people will remember a symbol that inspired people.
ReplyDeleteEmily Panozzo
ReplyDelete4th period
Some people are saying that by making a big deal out of the tree we are making a big deal out of Anne Frank. They are saying that she isn't any different than anyone else. But although Anne Frank was one just one of the many who sufferd, she represents a whole network of people. She is the icon of all jews who went through this event. By accrediting this tree with such an important stature, I think people are showing that they will always remember the struggle that this tree is associated with.
Brandon psencik
ReplyDelete3rd period
I would like to say that I agree with most when I say that whoever has read anne franks diary will always remember it. Now I feel really bad that anne franks beloved tree had fallin down but I don't think it should stay up forever like what some people argued in the article. Wouldn't yoou want a tree that anne frank had beloved while in hiding to be remember as a tree that was on its last leg than as a pile of mulch. I do hope though that it is disposed of respectively like what chaz said instead of it being tossed in the wood chipper. I do hope that the tree is remembered as well as the life as anne frank.
Leah Ware 2nd peiod
ReplyDeleteI remember reading her diary, and i don't remember anything about this tree. Although it is somewhat sad that her tree fell down, I think more people will remember will remember her than a tree. I can see why it was important to her, while she was stuck inside for years it was the only thing she could see outside. But I think her story is more important than a tree that is barely mentioned in her diary. I think learning about the holocaust and all the tings that Anne and her family expierienced are more important than the tree. And, since apparently it is mentioned in her diary, people can remember it though that and the saplings.
Aileen Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
For starters, I definately think it's sad that the tree Anne Frank loved fell. Her story is, no doubt, inspirational and touches the hearts of countless numbers of people. On the the other hand, I feel that people are taking this situation a bit too far. Yes, the tree was significant, but mainly to Anne frank herself. The rest of the world does not need to turn this situation into a huge predicament. Besides, they've already preserved the importance of the tree(in a way) by donating the saplings across the globe. If that doesn't seem like enough, then think about it this way: What else are you going to do with a dying tree? If the end of its time is near, just let it be.
Bailey Banks
ReplyDelete6th Period
I think that the tree should be conserved until It cannot be saved any longer.This chestnut tree is a historical figure, we wouldnt demolish the White House if it was just slowly falling apart would we? This tree obviously meant a lot to Anne Franke, It gave her hope, something to live for. She saw this tree as something beautiful and lively, it brought happiness to her in the darkest times. Cutting down the tree would not be right, the significance of this tree does not compare in any way as to why it should be cut down.
Kerri Kennedy
ReplyDelete4th period
I am sad to hear that the tree died after such a valiant effort to save it; it was a historical landmark. I am glad to hear that the seedlings will be sent around the world to keep the memory of this landmark alive. Of course, the tree itself is not as important as the story. Knowing that it was diseased and was going to die anyway, I would have cut it down sooner. I think the seedlings will help to keep her story and the memory of Anne Frank alive.
We all can agree that the story of Anne Frank was tragic and even life changing impact on some people's life. I remember reading her diary in 8th grade which makes this story much more interesting. I agree and disagree to a certain extent. Yes the tree was very significant to Anne Frank and her life,it was basically her own sanctuary to escape from reality and the tough times she was having to face. This is shown especially when her father states the fact that she was never interested in nature,that should show how meaningful it was to her. But then again, i believe they did well in attempting to preserve the tree but if its foundation is weakening then everyone should enjoy its last moments because we should just face t he fact that its foundation will get weakier and weakier until the point where there is nothing we can do about it. With that said everyone should enjoy the trees last existence while they still can and its good that saplings are being grown in various places. And some people might not think of that as being much but atleast its better than having nothing at all.
ReplyDeleteBetty Ponce.
3rd period.
Alajuawa Davis
ReplyDelete2nd period
Ann Frank was a good womman, and she was nice and caring person to. When the big tree fell she was glad that it diidn't fall on anyone. She loved that big chestnut tree, she wrote about it three times in her book that was published in World War II when she died. If you ask me if the tree should be cut down or not, I would have told you no. Ann Frank loved that tree and she almost wrote a half of a book about it. If it wasn't that serious they shouldn't published the book. She'd always wrote in her diary about the big chestnut tree. If she was alive she would have been upset if people tried to cut up the tree.
Jessica Winterman(period 2)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Lauren's thoughts there shouldn't have even been a question on whether it should be cut down or not. It is like breaking something in a museum and just saying oh well. It was really sad when the tree fell because it held so much history and it is referred to a lot in Anne Frank's diary, but I'm happy no one got hurt.
Anthony Chenevert 2nd Period
ReplyDeleteOne of the oldest and most important land markings in the Holocaust has just falling. Such a tragedy to people all over the world. This has effected many people in different ways. This was the only way to the outside world visually. The discussion toward the cutting of the tree is appalling. Anne Frank wouldn't have wanted that to be an outcome the 150 year old tree. This tree has brought many people around the world together. This tree has really touch me, because it might be a regular old tree, but this was a tree that meant so much for a person in the biggest way. The tree is surely gone and will be missed, but it will never be forgotten.
Keelie Steinke
ReplyDelete5th Period
The tree that Anne Frank looked at for hope that everything would soon end, and they would go back living their normal lives, has now fallen. I think that it is a good thing that the sapling of the tree will be sent to schools, because all though the events of the holocaust dont need to be remembered, the young inspiring girl that went through it all, does need to be. She was a very strong person indeed, and that needs to be remembered. I, personally, have always loved reading about Anne Frank, and now knowing that something that was a great deal of hope for her is now gone, makes me glad to know that the saplings are being grown in other places. She needs to be remembered.
Tiffany Garcia
ReplyDelete5th Period
It was very sad story about Anne Frank. I read it, and to hear this story about the chestnut tree is very sad too. The chestnut tree was Anne's connection to the outside world, it gave her hope. It was sad that someone so young, a 13 year old, had to see such hatred in the world. She probably was like many 13 year olds of her time, and even of the time now. It is nice to see that the tree lives on in the little trees planted by the chestnuts that came from her tree. She would be happy to know that the tree lives on that way as a symbol all around the world of youth. I hope that they try to save what is left of the chestnut tree. It would be sad to see the original tree gone forever.
K'Vonna Johnson
ReplyDelete5th period
In my opinion I think that the tree falling was a sad tragedy.Apparently it was a very important part in Anne Franks life. It was her only way to see and know what was going on in nature around her.The tree was like the thing that gave her hope to live another day when things were getting bad.It probably even meant something to other people in their life too. So I think that we should try take care of the tree as long as we can, because of its importance and the impact that it had on others.
Arvin Rodil 2nd period
ReplyDeleteAnne Franks diary really made me take a look at me life and say "Wow I have it good." Just imagining what she went through really made think. Its outrageous that this tree has been cut down. Basically a part of Anne Frank, its as though we cut her down too. It was a part of her and now its gone.
I think Anne Frank is a brave woman.I feel that if she was still alive she would be dispointed to see the tree being cut down. But they should just put the most of the tree into the Holocaust Museum.
ReplyDeleteJoel Simon
Ervin Ricasio
ReplyDelete5th Period
It was sad to hear that the big chestnut tree was fell down. The tree was very significant to Anne Frank. The building where Anne and her family hid from the Nazis during World War II was where she first saw and described the tree. The windows in the building were covered by curtains. The only room that had no curtains was the attic. She would sit there and look out the window. I certainly agree for the people who said . . . since the tree has already fallen over, there is nothing they can do, but they should cut pieces to give out to historic museums as a remembrance of the tree and Anne Frank
Andremarie Jean
ReplyDelete4th period
I admire Anne Frank and her story. For me it is really moving and i enjoy reading about it. The tree is obviously played an important part during the most scariest times in her life. I honestly think that the tree should be cut down. If the tree is diseased and withering away i think it is time for it to go. There are other things that helped Anne Frank through that time, even some more important things. Not all things live forever. What's important is what happened to them and that we should never forget.
This tree is just like every other tree. It started out as a seed just like every other tree did. It has a trunk and branches and leaves just like every other tree has. It sheds its leaves every fall and grows them back every spring just like every other tree does. And now it has fallen just like every other tree will. Even so, this tree is special. By being just like every other tree, this tree has helped a girl through a time of trouble. By reaching out with its average branches, this tree has provided extraordinary comfort and happiness to a girl who had none. But what did this special tree do when that girl and her family were taken and tortured and killed? What did this tree do to save them? It did all that it could do. Be just like every other tree.
ReplyDeleteJoe James 5th period
ReplyDeleteThe tree is clearly important to Anne and should be for the rest of us. I say that because during her moments of fear and sorrow she looked at the tree and realized that it would continue to grow, move on. Spreading the seeds around in different places is good because that means the hope Anne experienced will be shared by many others.
One of the oldest and most important land markings to the Holocaust has just fallen. Such a tragedy that the only way to the outside world visually is now forever gone. This tree has effected the world in many ways. This tree will forever be beloved and always cherished. The discussion over the cutting of the tree is apalling. This isn't what Anne Frank would've wanted becuase this meant so much to her and many others around the world. Reading this story has really touch in a huge way, because something so such as an old tree meant so much to Anne Frank. The tree will be missed, but certainly not forgotten.
ReplyDeleteAzim Hemdani Period 2
ReplyDeleteEven though Anne Frank thought her life would be easy it turned out to be the opposite of that. She had no clue that she would have to go into hiding. Well when the time came she was really depressed about leaving her friends and belongings. She had nothing more than her family and a tree which she looked at most days. The tree symbolized many things but most of all it symbolized her life. The tree was there with her until her family got caught. The tree faced hard times like Anne Frank did. Do you sometimes wonder why the tree was there for such a long even after Anne Frank was gone?
I remember reading about Annie and her family last year. It was such a sad story but it is such a good thing that something other than the annex building is (or was) still there. If it was up to me then i would not cut down the tree either. It is still special to her even if she has passed away.
ReplyDeleteAlexandria Stanciel
3rd period
Raphael Laran
ReplyDelete1st Period.
I remember through out the years about Anne Frank, studying about the Holocaust. But to hear that something important to her falling... It makes me upset. The things she has been through and that tree was there the whole time, she saw it, it was nature. She loved nature, and she loved that tree, it was one of the things she could see from the Secret Annex. I feel terrible hearing that this meaningful tree has fallen...
4th Period
ReplyDeleteI really think the tree falling down must have been really tragic. When I think about how Anne Frank felt about the tree and saw it's beauty, allows me to "feel" how she'd react to this if she were still alive.
One of the good things though is that, people actually do care about how Anne Frank would've felt if she saw this happen. I too, myself, find her story inspiring in so many ways. I think it's great to see that some people find motivation from her story.
It's only a tree, its only a symbol of hope and freedom, its only a past reminder to a young girl with a beautiful outlook on life from long ago that there will be comfort for every sorrow even when it seems like sorrow is all there is. Ever since reading little snipits of her diary, I have been facinated by Anne's plight and have wondered how can anyone have such a beautiful spirit and outlook on life like she did? It's amazing that when she wrote this she was close in age to me, to most of us in fact, she was truly amazing(even when things around her were considerably less)And what she chose to write about was even more so, instead of focusing on the negative she chose the positive and optimism. It seems to me that this is what the tree embodied for her as she watched it against a strip of sky while in hiding. While I understand that it is impossible to save the tree, what many other comments regard as "no big deal" is having quite an impact regardless, especially to elicit such strong feelings from everyone.There are many objects that symbolize hope but don't approach it wih a "oh she stared at a tree now its a big deal omgjhpfk(?)"- type of attitude it feels as if many of you are missing the point-to me at least. True enough a dying tree isn't normally all that big of a hullabaloo but considering what it meant to a certain person, and considering what her thoughts and values mean to so many people, its one darn special tree! But hey!What do I know? Its only my opinion about a tree.
ReplyDeleteRiquerra Broadnax (2nd period)
ReplyDeleteEven though I didnt read Ann franks book I very much enjoyed how she cared so much about the tree,she would notice the most outstanding things about the tree such as how the leaves glisten from the water droplet left by the rain or that how it just being there made her day so to speak.I thinks its great I got to read it and hope there's more like it along the way!
4th period
ReplyDeleteSome people are saying that the tree isn't that important, and that there shouldn't be such a big deal made out of it falling. I agree with them, because yes it had a part in Anne Frank's life, but there are so many other artifacts in museums. Compared to the shoes collected in museums, this tree's signifiance isn't really large. But in a way I disagree because it is more of what the tree represents, what it meant to Anne Frank that makes it so important.
Sean Nelson
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think that it is sad that such a historic tree and symbol has gone away. This goes to show that even a simple tree can mean alot as to what happened in history. It is amasing that it stood for so long with its disease. But like everything else, we can't have everything forever.
3rd period
ReplyDeleteI think it is sad to see what some people consider a national symbol die. It was the only window to the outside world that she had while in hiding. I believe they should try to at least replant it or something.
Dylan Allotta
ReplyDelete4th Period
I agree that a crime is a crime and people should be punished for breaking laws. However, the sentence that these sisters received was quite excessive. The whole deal with the kidney transplant is a good deed and and all but to me, that should have nothing to do with whether these women are released form prison. If that is what there release is based on then that should be what the release of all prisoners is based on. And I am sure there are plenty of armed robbers who would gladly give up a kidney to get out of jail.