Monday, March 28, 2011

Let Kids Rule the School

Let Kids Rule The School

New York Times
March 14, 2011

By SUSAN ENGEL
New Marlborough, Mass.

In a speech last week, President Obama said it was unacceptable that “as many as a quarter of American students are not finishing high school.” But our current educational approach doesn’t just fail to prepare teenagers for graduation or for college academics; it fails to prepare them, in a profound way, for adult life.

We want young people to become independent and capable, yet we structure their days to the minute and give them few opportunities to do anything but answer multiple-choice questions, follow instructions and memorize information. We cast social interaction as an impediment to learning, yet all evidence points to the huge role it plays in their psychological development.

That’s why we need to rethink the very nature of high school itself.

I recently followed a group of eight public high school students, aged 15 to 17, in western Massachusetts as they designed and ran their own school within a school. They represented the usual range: two were close to dropping out before they started the project, while others were honors students. They named their school the Independent Project.

Their guidance counselor was their adviser, consulting with them when the group flagged in energy or encountered an obstacle. Though they sought advice from English, math and science teachers, they were responsible for monitoring one another’s work and giving one another feedback. There were no grades, but at the end of the semester, the students wrote evaluations of their classmates.

The students also designed their own curriculum, deciding to split their September-to-January term into two halves.

During the first half, they formulated and then answered questions about the natural and social world, including “Are the plant cells at the bottom of a nearby mountain different than those at the top of the mountain?” and “Why we do we cry?” They not only critiqued one another’s queries, but also the answers they came up with. Along the way, they acquired essential tools of inquiry, like how to devise good methods for gathering various kinds of data.

During the second half, the group practiced what they called “the literary and mathematical arts.” They chose eight novels — including works by Kurt Vonnegut, William Faulkner and Oscar Wilde — to read in eight weeks. That is more than the school’s A.P. English class reads in an entire year.

Meanwhile, each of them focused on specific mathematical topics, from quadratic equations to the numbers behind poker. They sought the help of full-time math teachers, consulted books and online sources and, whenever possible, taught one another.

They also each undertook an “individual endeavor,” learning to play the piano or to cook, writing a novel or making a podcast about domestic violence. At the end of the term, they performed these new skills in front of the entire student body and faculty.

Finally, they embarked on a collective endeavor, which they agreed had to have social significance. Because they felt the whole experience had been so life-changing, they ended up making a film showing how other students could start and run their own schools.

The results of their experiment have been transformative. An Independence Project student who had once considered dropping out of school found he couldn’t bear to stop focusing on his current history question but didn’t want to miss out on exploring a new one. When he asked the group if it would be O.K. to pursue both, another student answered, “Yeah, I think that’s what they call learning.”

One student who had failed all of his previous math courses spent three weeks teaching the others about probability. Another said: “I did well before. But I had forgotten what I actually like doing.” They have all returned to the conventional curriculum and are doing well. Two of the seniors are applying to highly selective liberal arts colleges.

The students in the Independent Project are remarkable but not because they are exceptionally motivated or unusually talented. They are remarkable because they demonstrate the kinds of learning and personal growth that are possible when teenagers feel ownership of their high school experience, when they learn things that matter to them and when they learn together. In such a setting, school capitalizes on rather than thwarts the intensity and engagement that teenagers usually reserve for sports, protest or friendship.

Schools everywhere could initiate an Independent Project. All it takes are serious, committed students and a supportive faculty. These projects might not be exactly alike: students might apportion their time differently, or add another discipline to the mix. But if the Independent Project students are any indication, participants will end up more accomplished, more engaged and more knowledgeable than they would have been taking regular courses.

We have tried making the school day longer and blanketing students with standardized tests. But perhaps children don’t need another reform imposed on them. Instead, they need to be the authors of their own education.

100 comments:

  1. Abels Koshy
    Period: 6

    This article was very intriguing. Schools everywhere could initiate an Independent Project. All it takes are serious, committed students and a supportive faculty. I believe Elkins could also participate in the program. This plan could have worked for this school for several reasons, but sometimes there are schools were they are not able to participate due to the students. The students would abuse the power of choosing their curriculum. Otherwise, this project would be a great success for many different schools. I believe, we knights should also have the opportunity to participate in this wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayur Patel
    Period 4

    I think this Independent project is a great way to help students that are falling behind and it also brings the students more close to one another. The Independent project could a life changing thing some of the kids. I think that everyone should hear about this and make a move to improve school graduates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica Dove
    5th Period

    I agree with this article. So many people are dropping out of school because they aren't interested in learning the curriculum, so they don't pay attention and end up with failing grades. Even if a student wasn't interested in a certain topic, the teacher could connect it to something they are interested in instead of forcing the information onto them. If students could actually learn about things they are interested in, the drop out rates would be so much lower.
    So many kids are at school only because they have to be, not because they want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lloyd Farley (2nd Period)March 29, 2011 at 2:02 PM

    This is a great idea and quite frankly what people like me have been waiting for. With the current situation students are alienated from their own education because of the school systems authoritative structure and relate education with being chewed out for the majority of the day. Reforms have turned into dangling a carrot in front of us so we bear the injustices we are faced with for example in kindergarten we are told to be quite and if we are not we lost our chance to be a astronaut. Quite the opposite works for me I come home and spend hours just learning whatever strikes my fancy and at school I will even read through the book for the fun of it this is all because I’m curious and I may not be the only one. When we as students get to use our curiosity that is common to our relative newness to the world then we can truly learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neethu George
    3rd period
    This article was very interesting to me. I love the idea of the Independent Project. If this project results in drastic improvements in students then schools everywhere should have it. Schools do need better teaching and learning techniques and I believe this project is great. We the students do need to be authors in our own education.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3rd period

    I think that this is a great idea. I understand that many students would abuse their power but I believe that mostly we would use it to help ourselves. Since we are the ones doing all the tests and work we should be the ones who provide feedback on if we were prepared or not. This sounds like a good way to help students in America finish high school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily Panozzo
    4th Period

    Yes, the Independent Project was a great experiment but I don't think it should be replicated over and over. The experiment was performed and the conclusion has been analyzed. I do think this is a great idea but I think the educational system should just go ahead with making alterations to the learning and order maintaining methods in the schools of the U.S. The possibility of changes being made to better the students chances of surviving the adult life are highly unlikely as the teachers, administrators, so on already are having adult life problems of themselves. I don't expect any changes in the country's systems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This article was very cool. I believe that schools everywhere should take a chance with this sort of project. All it takes are serious, committed students and a well cooperative faculty that can manage these kids. I believe that Elkins could also take this project to a whole new level. I understand that some schools are afraid of this because of the kind of power that would be given to these students. I think that us knights can do a whole lot to make this kind of project succeed in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although the idea is great, I think the way we have our curriculum now is best for people like me. I would not be able to stick to one subject for 8 weeks, its better to get some knowledge little by little, with the fact that we remember only 25% of what we hear. So instead of having to memorize all you learned it you learn little by little its easier to refresh your memory of what you learned the day before. So to the independent Project my opinion is for kids who want to that can keep up with it go ahead and go by it but I wish to keep things the way they are.
    Alexis Landoski
    2nd Period

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny Chang
    Period 5

    This project makes sense since students themselves probably know the best way to learn things. With advices from teachers and counselors, the students gains previous experience of teaching. It's effective only if the students stay on task and actually plan useful curriculum. If this method works well, students can absorb more knowledge instead of wasting time and dozing off in class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The article shows the truth behind the public education system. Schools teach you how to take (let's say the DAK and TAKS). Teachers are forced to teach within these guidelines in fear of losing their jobs if kids are failing the TAKS. Some students aren't motivated enough by the education found in these guidelines to even try. Smart students end up wasting hours of their life (not even being able to leave school when the test ends). Everyone loses with this education system. This shows that with the right motivators, even those who teachers would normally give up on can shine because they have the motivation to succeed. It just pains me to see the way this education system fails because it doesn't teach you to think or be inspired, but to bubble in answers and use multiple choice test taking skills.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chaz Talab 3rd PeriodMarch 29, 2011 at 4:38 PM

    I think that this is amazing. I wish we could complete a project like this. Compared to the nation's education today, it makes it look like toddler work. Obama was right, today's education is all about multiple-choice questions and memorizing information (then immediately forgetting it). But in this new curriculum designed by the students was amazing. With the Independent Project put into out school system, it could greatly improve grades, reading level, and decrease student failure/dropout rate. I think it would be awesome to see these things shown in the Independent Project implemented into our curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although, this worked perfectly for this school I don’t believe it will work for all schools. This is due mostly because in certain areas there are selective pressure acting on the kids hindering their chances to succeed. Also, this may led to more drop out because they won’t listen to their peers due to the lack of motivation skills in which people gain as they start maturing pass teenager years. In conclusion due this would be successful if school districts would make mandatory classes to prepare kids for the real world along with making kids have more to say when it comes to the curriculum structure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Period 5

    Well... how should I put this... it's not that I have something against our current education system... oh wait. Yeah, I do have something against our current education system. School as of now can't even manage themselves! FBISD is under so much debt that it can't even afford desks anymore! Well, that's at least what the officials are telling us. But I'm sure that the officials aren't even trying to solve the problem. I'm sure that they only know to get rid of teachers and cut budgets, when so much more change could happen if they could just cut THEIR own salary. So about the current education system, OF COURSE students aren't getting the stuff they need to graduate. The entire education system has major problems in it, so how can it expect the students to succeed? In the current situation, I don't care about what kind of "plan" the officials are going carry out. I just know that when the school district is finally stabilized, the students will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Francescha Rundle
    Period 5

    The Independent Project is a good idea for the committed students, but this idea cannot work for all schools. Having the students choose their own courses, they have to be serious about their education and future. Other students that may not care for school would not take this project seriously. They might just abuse this power. Also, I am for this project because of its potential in success. It is shown that it does work in schools and even improves the grades of failing students.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cortney Corley
    Period 4
    I think that this article proves that if we feel in charge and choose what we want, things can get accomplished. Often, high school students feel there are too many rules and boundaries in our learning environment. Every academic decision is limited or monitored. When you have the free will to make your own decisions and set your own goals, you are more comfortable because you know your personal boundaries. Not being told what to do every day and allowing ourselves to learn on our own could be very productive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great that students have taken their own initiative on learning, but I don't see this working out big-time. There are many lazy kids out there (like myself) whom, when given the opportunity, will slack off without structure. And some students need constant attention. I just cannot be optimistic about such a structure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Logan Gloster
    Period 4

    I understand that this worked fine for this school, but some students might not agree with it. The article mentioned that many of the students that worked on this were honor's students so they actually cared about learning. Other kids are not this way. Some people just don't care about learning and become gang members or just live on the streets, but overall I think it is a good idea to let students decide how to learn based on what they are good at or what skills the need to survive the urban jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. BRANDON PSENCIK
    3RD PERIOD
    March 29, 2011

    This idea is good in multiple ways and bad in others. First of all I believe that the idea of being able to create our own curriculum is fantastic and something I thought I would ever hear in a thousand years. This gives students the time to decide what they need to learn based on what they want to be when they grow up. These though are only some of the good things. What I believe though is that some student’s wont take this is as serious and wont care what happens. One main reason is maybe they don’t realize the importance of this opportunity they’ve been given. Though I believe this problem can be fixed very easily just by the allowing speakers to inform them of the importance they take this seriously. Once again this is a great idea that should be thought out clearly enough to come to an idea that can be tested successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Danielle Uy 5th PeriodMarch 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM

    The curriculum is not to blame for why it doesn’t highlight a profound way of adult life. It surely does, it is just that school in general isn't fun to begin with. It is not something we can change. Most kids drop out because in order to become independent one has to learn significantly outside school. School is so structured and leaves us marked by the minute, a total hassle. However, it would be a bad idea for us kids to run the school. Talk mayhem and a corrupt environment. This is idea is neat and a wish. C'mon this wish and a lot of wishes can't come true. It would be cool to achieve a goal collectively, but this independent project seems to highlight one's individual strength with their own barrier. Thus, the individual student is only motivated to judge what they assume is at par. The consistency of one's work ethic and diligence is not quite attained. I'm always optimistic about a new school structure, but this independent project has us missing out on life skills.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 4th period
    The Independent project was a very good idea. It showed that when students, with the help of truly committed teachers, can actually progress significantly in a subject that they might otherwise not do well in. Although it was called the Independent Project, it really was more than being independent. The students may have done certain personal projects on their own, but it was a collective thought process going through it. It is something that should be considered across the board, and everyone should have access to it. It actually has a student take ownership of something that is very personal and can influence their future.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kaylah Moore
    2ND
    This is great! Someone is seeing that the only thing we're really learning in school is how to take tests. It's more difficult for us, as teenage students, to learn something that doesn’t interest us in any way. This idea of students making their own curriculum is an extended version of us picking our elective; I like it. Of course we’d still need to go to teachers and class for guidance, but it teaches us a major part of independence. I would assume that some teachers and adults may say things such as, “It’s hard enough to get you to do your assignments or for you to pay attention in class”, that only proves that this type of education isn’t for all, because in the end us teenagers will still do what we want. It’s hard for us to learn from our mistakes, if we make no mistakes. This kind of thing could bring on more CEOs or inventors.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Chris Bready
    period 6

    If we brought this to Elkins, things would go terribly wrong. First of all, not all of the students that go to Elkins are good kids. If we let them rule the school things would be a disaster. We have to remember that these kids at that school are not kids like we have at Elkins.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Joey Wright
    6th period

    One thing that you've got to realize is that most people drop out of high school because they don't want to get an education. Some of them don't want to work or try hard for anything. At the end of the article, it talks about commitment from the students. A person has to want to learn in order to get an education. I want to learn, get good grades, go to college, and get into a great career. Now, young people don't want to work hard for the same dream and thus they drop out or just don't go to college after they graduate. Students have to want to learn. The project was a great way for people to see the way our public education system works and why it seems like its failing. I think that this helps better to evaluate education.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tommy Settlemyre Third Period (I don't actually believe this; I'm just providing an alternate perspective)March 30, 2011 at 7:18 PM

    I think this is a great idea for motivated students to learn extra information, but not as a replacement for the current education system. The present education system is not really that bad. It teaches students to be submissive to authority by strictly enforcing policies such as dress code and the wearing of identification cards. Our nation is heading towards a socialist, statist government that will control the lives of Americans. We will need submissive citizens coming right out of school in order to do the king's bidding, so we can have order in our society. If anything, it is the Independent school idea that is not preparing students to be responsible members of society. The definition of "responsible members of society" has changed to include submission to structure and work provided by the government. The independent school project teaches students to seek freedom and independence, which is not what our government wants us to have. The current public education system, however, provides us with curriculum and worksheets and rules that truly prepare us to expect such things from the government.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Projects such as this one should be added in each state to view the different effects and approaches each student faces of an obstacle. All it takes are serious, committed students and a well cooperative faculty that can manage these kids. I believe that Elkins could also take this project to a whole new level. I understand that some schools are afraid of this because of the kind of power that would be given to these students. I think that giving student’s annual tests such as (TAKS and DAK) are a waste of students and the faculty’s time. With projects such as these students will be able to expand their imagination and receive some lead way from higher powers.
    Kiah R.
    3period

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amita Batra
    3rd Period

    Improving our educational methods in the USA is a very serious concern of mine. I can't speak for the rest of the students, but I know for a fact that I would like to be incredibly successful in the future. But my path in life requires a higher intellect than that of which the public education offers. And because every student has a different approach to their future, they need to be able to pick the type of classes and the level of classes they would like to take. Some of the graduation requirements also cause students to drop out because they cannot form a connection to each and every subject. For example, if somebody wanted to be a Physics major in college, what is the point of biology? Frankly, it just does not make sense. Of course, people do change their minds in life which is why the core high school classes should also be offered in college. Also, there should be more than 2 levels for each class so that a failing student can gradually increase their level and become more successful in each subject. My thought is to minimize the number of required classes, yet increase the amount of time to earn the full credit. Going back to the biology and physics example, if I want to major in physics I should take a year of regular physics and a year of higher level physics. That way I'm more successful and this would be something that would help me more in the future. Also, I feel that some teachers are to blame for this. Many teachers do not teach. It is a fact that there is at least one teacher per year that just hands out worksheets from which you transfer answers from the book. In that perspective, students do not learn anything besides how to read and copy answers from a book. Therefore, there are many options to improve our public education, but the recession may not allow us to. This brings me to all of the budget cuts that we have been hearing about recently. This school year alone has cut so many student resources. Tutorial buses are only available on Wednesdays at Elkins while last year in middle school they were available every single day, twice after school. A solution to this would be for Fort Bend to use its money wisely. I see the district spends money on useless things like student e-mail (which nobody uses) and online course selection. This money could easily be used towards hiring better teachers and improving the education. Many steps can be taken to decrease the drop-out rate, but some ignorance is getting in the way. This concludes my strong emotions towards the drop-out rate in public education of the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sarah Raines
    4th Period
    I think this is a pretty interesting article. I think that one thing that really could help students is making things interesting and more "fun". I know I hate math class because everyday is the same thing. We are always sitting down and watching the teacher work problems on the screen. It’s dreadful just to try and keep your eyes open. Students wouldn’t mind coming to school and learning if they had an experience that actually made it more than a punishment. It is also strange that students completely took over their school like that. Had the students failed everyone would be set back in their curriculum. This shows empowerment and trust. I wouldn’t want to do something if everyone doubted me.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ayoub Saber
    4th Period

    I think this is a good article. Students want to do something fun. Why do you think Students like P.E. Class? Because It's fun and people want to do it to make them happy. I believe, we knights should also have the opportunity to participate in something we like.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Period 4

    This makes perfect sense. I like the idea of the program and I would like to see this put into practice here at Elkins. It seems like many things that we do as of late seem like a good idea on paper but turn out to be counterproductive. It would make sense to let us control more aspects of our own education. For example, for those of us that have already chosen careers, those people could take classes that are oriented towards that career. For example, if I knew that I wanted to be an author, or a public speaker or something of that nature, then there would be no sense in me sitting in a classroom for an hour a day learning how to solve trig equations. Sure it's good to know, but what good is knowledge if you never use it? It's like having pointless files on a computer; it just takes up space that could be occupied by something useful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ajeet Baath
    6th pd
    I believe that the Independent Project is an excellent advancement in the way students are educated. Like they article stated, we as students should not have to be chained to a curriculum and a set of rules that we don’t agree with. Putting the power in the hands of students with supervision is a more sufficient way of eliminating problems in current high schools.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think that if school facilities would include more activities related to their own lives or something that a student 15-17 years old would find interesting then it attract the thirst for further knowledge and maybe the graduate percentage rate would increase.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Esteban Palacios
    6th period

    I think this article can inspire some people into trying this out. I myself want to try this out, cause if it could help me both understand and raise my grades then we should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Tyler Morris
    4th period
    I feel that this is a great idea. Let us have some more freedom. Let us run our own school time. Let it be pure objectivism. We seem to be doing better off on our own almost! We have our schedule set forth for us the minute we enter the first step of elementary. Ten minutes in the morning to get to class. 45 minutes there, five minutes to get to the next class, until we are tired or the day ends. It is quite ridiculous. It could be rethought.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anthony Chenevert
    2nd Period

    This is a huge problem all over the U.S. Many kids lose interest in obtaining the required knowledge from school to perform the proper success in their adult lives. Something that this articles hits and that speaks to me is that they should make school more fun. I mean, structure is always a wanted criterion being issued into schools but I feel as though that it may be more effective to let students show how they want to be taught. This impact could be great on the future of the kids and cause a more logical way of learning. More futures planned for these children. But then I think, they won't be able to do this in college so may be it shouldn't be reinforced into the schools. The efficiency would be way more accurate than other teaching methods. "Hey" you'll never know until you actually try.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Michael Brennan 3rd PeriodMarch 31, 2011 at 3:14 PM

    This is a very interesting article. I believe that school should be fun but it should also should be educational. If the students rule the school they will most likely slack off where as if they just teachers that made it fun but could also teach it would be a win, win situation. That's how I believe it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Phan, Jae Period 4
    In my opinion, it is very true that in school, students often struggle through many courses, so they decide to just memorize what they are currently learning so they can ace the test and get to an IV league. I do not like this, but this is how I feel as a student in FBISD, I learn too little and memorize too much.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think that this is a great approach for the kids that are motivated to do what needs to be done. The kids that don't care would teach themselves badly and get nothing done, but that would make it so that those who tried prospered much more than those who didn't try to achieve the most they could. I think that the current school system is sort of messed up, because students don't have the time to learn material at their own pace. If the students taught themselves they could go the pace they needed to fully understand and grasp the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Mishi Jain
    period 2

    I think that this is a remarkable idea. From the end of this, I can truly see the difference of having kids rule the school makes. It is so true that in our public schools we are not really taught skills that we can use in our day to day life and use when we get older. School is supposed to prepare us for the future but it doesn't. This way it will prepare us to have a bigger, better, and brighter future.

    ReplyDelete
  40. The Independence Project is a great approach to eliminating the students' dislike towards certain teachers. Of course, not every school has students that are capable of operating a mini-school. It takes multiple periods of thought and commitment just to figure out how they'll schedule classes and who'll be assigned to teach what. They'd have to review strong points, learn each others' weaknesses and so on. Of course if it can be done, it'd help everyone in one way or another.

    Daniel Thai
    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  41. Gabriel Camera
    6th period
    I think that letting the students rule the school could become a huge problem. Because students will take advantage of the power they will get. And also, they just want to get good grades even though they don't deserve it. So, I think that this idea of letting student rule the school is not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  42. --3rd Period
    Though it is probably know that this system of education is really not working out for this new generation of students, I am not sure if this is the right way of approaching a way to change this system. I feel that this idea can only help those who would like something that follows this setup and allows students to control their own work, but I would really not do well in such a school. I rather want to see a school that can incorporate many concepts people have put out, like what this school did and what many other professors have suggested, so that no one is left feeling their time spent in school was wasted. After all, people work in different ways to incorporate their best skills to themselves and their society. I do not think this is a bad idea, but there are too many factors that have not been tested with this school so this same result cannot be expected from anywhere else. We can only see if this education system can improve itself or find a way so that way students do not simply waste their time at something they were not pleased to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I think this independent project will end up being a massive success. Kids always love to do something that promotes freedom of thinking and high level of energy in classrooms. Sitting in a class listening to boring lectures is what most kids hate now a days. I hope future programs like this come into action energizing and educating the future of America. This approach towards modern way of teaching must be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Erica Barrera
    5th period
    I think the Independent Project is a really good idea because I know so many people who want to just drop out of school but if they find something they really like they probably would not drop out. I bet if they put this in every school they would see a big difference in the dropout rate and also how many kids that passing their classes. Kids just need to find something they are interested in and they will stay in school.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Eby Lukose 3rd periodApril 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM

    I think that the Independent Project would be a great idea for any kids who would be willing to do it. But what percentage of all kids would take the initiative to do this on their own? Frankly, I don't think all of them would. So this project could succeed or fail, depending on the students.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Aileen Nguyen
    Period 3

    When I first read this article, I thought the Independent Project was a great idea. After skimming the article again, I realized that it would not work for every school. Not every student/teacher would be up for the Independent Project, and the entire idea could end up making things worse. People are used to the traditional ways of being educated, and if anyone wants to change it, then change the system a small step at a time instead of altering the entire thing at once.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Saimol Edaparampil
    3rd Period
    I feel that this Independent Project is a very good thing. Like we should be able to learn what we need to know to be successful in whatever it is that we want to be besides taking unnecessary courses. We should have power over our own education because ultimately it is going affect us, not anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Jaison Mathew
    4th Period

    I think the Independent Project can be good or bad, depending on the student. Most students will make it so that they will be actually learning at their own pace. Some, on the other hand will make it so they barely learn or don't learn at all. It could make us want more freedom and achieve more when we are out of school. It all depends on how much the student is interested in school and how much they want to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I wish we were able to learn like these kids did. I feel that in schools, students are not taught what might help them in life, but taught everything out of a book that may never come up in the students' future life. We spend four years learning different types of math and sciences and half of us end up not using any of that information in our lives. These students learned how to cook, write, or play instruments, which are all things that have a way of helping their future out. I feel like projects like these will open the eyes of kids to see what lies beyond the textbook and actually value education.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Malcolm Berry
    Period 5

    I think that the Independent Project is an excellent idea. It would motivate students by giving them an opportunity to take charge of their curriculum. This would make students feel proud of what they did in high school academically, where as most students feel proud of what they did socially. I know that I would feel proud that I learned from a curriculum that I made myself, because learning from your own curriculum helps you focus on your strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Nick Grieger
    2nd Period

    As many agree, this "Independent Project" is a great idea, but for only certain types of students. Slackers and people that just do not care are the students that are limiting the country's change to this type of schooling. Personally, I would love to wake up in the morning and be able to say I am going to learn this specific thing today and learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Alex Cyriac Period 5April 2, 2011 at 8:35 PM

    I find this to be an interesting experiment. The most surprising fact I found was that up to one fourth of American high schoolers are dropping out of high school. That is ridiculous! I doubt that many are dropping out. Overall, this new process would greatly improve the adeptness of high schoolers.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Charlene Sigua
    Period 4

    This was an interesting article. I think it's a good idea. The students can learn what they will need to learn by the time they get older. Some of the things we are taught in our school we may not need in the future. With this, the students can learn at their own pace and can be well prepared for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Kyne Onyenze
    3rd Period

    I think this is a great idea. Putting the power in the hands of the students (with a little supervision) to help other students learn better. And i agree with Jae because I do the same thing, I memorize too much and learn just a portion of it. And I memorize just so I can pass the tests because the curriculum isn't giving me enough time to ACTUALLY learn the subject. So maybe if better taught by another student would help the students feel a little more secure and eager about learning.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Andrew Durham 6th periodApril 3, 2011 at 7:26 AM

    I think this is an idea that could go well or wrong. It’s good because it gives kids a chance to use skills that will help us with our day to day life. But I think this program would only work a certain schools, schools where kids actually have the urge to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Dane Gantt
    Period 2

    Well, this doesn't seem like a bad idea, but I really think that there should be no school at all, or at least a choice of what you learn. What I mean is, if someone doesn't want to take a math course, then why should they be forced to? If the career they have in mind has absolutely nothing to do with math, then why take it?

    ReplyDelete
  57. I think this is a really great idea. After reading this I truly think that having the kids rule the school makes a big difference in a good way. It is a fact that in school we don't really learn the skills to be successful in real life. Schools are made to prepare kids for the future but I honestly don't think it does. This is good because it will better prepare kids for a better future.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Betty Ponce
    3rd period.
    The Independence Project is a great idea. It shows that kids are able to learn without following strict instructions and that they are willing to do it because they know it's good for them. Just like in the article, even the close to drop out students committed to this and achieved something. They weren't forced to do this or that but instead had more open options that still resulted in success in the end of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Raphael Laran
    5th Period

    This is a very interesting article, giving students the power to run their own school. It's an amazing idea that really should be executed in all schools so it could bring the full potential of the students. I've always had a feeling that the way teachers teach students didn't really reach out to the students, but the way the independent project works lets students relate to what they are learning. Many students would probably remember the things they are taught in this project than the way they are taught in school.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Carolyne Lu
    Period 3

    My opinion on project is that it should be used only on certain students. Actually, it can only be used on certain students. I say this because not all the students currently in the education system are the same as the students that participated in the project. Of course the disciplined and motivated students would excel with the whole individual learning thing, but not everyone is like that. The only way the project would work successfully is if the students that are engaged are seriously that determined to go above and beyond. As for the people who just don't care about education, they should just stick to our traditional education system. It all just depends on the students and their character.

    ReplyDelete
  61. John Gann
    Period 4

    I personally do not agree with this article at all. We as teenagers are lead to agree with this because we want to do anything we want and not listen to authority. But we need this instruction in this point of our lives so we have these qualities when we are formed in our adult years. As enticing as it sounds it is not realistic or practical.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Victoria Hackney
    2nd Period

    I think the Independent project can be used on some students but it can not be used on all. For some students structure is what will work best for them because that is how they learn, while for other students getting to pick what they’ll learn (to an extent) and how they’ll learn it is better for them. There is such a wide range in the way students learn, that to say one method is best is nearly impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Leah Ware 2nd periodApril 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM

    I agree with the article that school doesn't really prepare us for anything. There are many things that I learn in school that make me wonder when I'm ever going to really need them in life, so I just memorize what I've been taught to pass a test and forget whatever I've learned. I like the idea of the Independent project, but I'm not sure if it would work out. It would take some pretty serious and committed kids to do this and there are a lot of lazy kids out there.

    ReplyDelete
  64. John Moore
    6th

    This idea is truly captivating. The idea for students to lead themselves and other peers for a self teaching and sustaining goal is remarkable. This opportunity prepares the students for real world experiences where they will have to be independent and lead each other. If this was implemented in the schools of the U.S. we would have a much higher success rate in the business world and we would be able to tackle any challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  65. John Moore
    6th period

    This idea is truly captivating. The idea for students to lead themselves and other peers for a self teaching and sustaining goal is remarkable. This opportunity prepares the students for real world experiences where they will have to be independent and lead each other. If this was implemented in the schools of the U.S. we would have a much higher success rate in the business world and we would be able to tackle any challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Parker Wodskow
    Period 6
    I also agree that the school should be fun and educational at the same time.I think this article can inspire some people into trying this out. I myself want to try this out, cause if it could help me both understand and raise my grades then we should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  67. I wish I could try this out myself and come up with a reasonable conclusion. This surely will be something that students would enjoy to great extent. Freedom is air, without it one feels locked up in a dark room. This exact view must be used to analyze education. Better ways of education will make both learning and teaching more interesting and less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Justin Johnson (6 period)April 3, 2011 at 1:08 PM

    To improve our school education and low drop out rates, we need to improve the way we approach science, math, and technology in our society in schools. To do this we should:

    Funnel more money into science education. Allow for more specialized science classes in high school to help students find something they're passionate about.

    Hire teachers who have a true love of science and a desire to teach about the world instead of filling the blackboard with equations. Make someone fall in love with the concept first, teach them the equation second.

    Encourage filmmakers and TV producers to create positive intelligent characters and do away with the "science nerd" stereotype.

    Give better government funding to organizations like NASA to allow them to take their dreams to the stars. NASA's budget in the last twenty years has never been anywhere near what they want to do. Stop funding the military to blow up other countries and focus more on our planetary neighbors and the rest of the universe.
    And lastly...be proud of our race as a whole and our global community. If our neighbors are accomplishing something, we should be proud of them. A wanton desire to be better than another country might have worked during the space race of the 60s, but in the modern day the entire planet needs to work together on issues that face everyone instead of focusing only on our own country.
    -Justin Johnson
    6 period

    ReplyDelete
  69. Richard Kimbrell (6th)April 3, 2011 at 1:17 PM

    I think that this article proves to everybody that we are actually a lot smarter than we are given credit for. If we are given some power to regulate what we do things acutally tend to work well. The kids who took part in this weren't the worlds greatest students but they became committed because they were given a chance to prove something. That's all we really want to do is prove something. We want to show that we can do something in this world even as high school students. I think this is a really good idea and more should take part in this activity.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Ervin Ricasio
    Period 5

    I agree with this article. I think it would be a great idea to have this Independent Project. Today, so many students are not concentrating in school. Some may be just fooling around some may just have hard times in classes, but your education is what brings you to success. Your grades will tell you where you are strong or where you need to improve. Grades may also give you an idea of what you are going to be as you get older. I think this project is something that can change lives for not just one person but for anyone who wants to focus and improve.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Ervin Ricasio
    Period 5

    I agree with this article. I think it would be a great idea to have this Independent Project. Today, so many students are not concentrating in school. Some may be just fooling around some may just have hard times in classes, but your education is what brings you to success. Your grades will tell you where you are strong or where you need to improve. Grades may also give you an idea of what you are going to be as you get older. I think this project is something that can change lives for not just one person but for anyone who wants to focus and improve.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Edward Richard (4th Period)April 3, 2011 at 1:31 PM

    Edward Richard
    4th period

    So they finally found a good learning method, its about time. Give us the opportunity and see what we do with it, makes a lot of sense to me. I wonder if any schools in this area would start this up. I would hope so, but I kind of doubt that I wont see something like this until my school days are over and long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Nico Alba
    Period 2
    The article shows the truth behind the public education system. Schools teach you how to take (let's say the DAK and TAKS). Teachers are forced to teach within these guidelines in fear of losing their jobs if kids are failing the TAKS. Some students aren't motivated enough by the education found in these guidelines to even try. Smart students end up wasting hours of their life (not even being able to leave school when the test ends). Everyone loses with this education system. This shows that with the right motivators, even those who teachers would normally give up on can shine because they have the motivation to succeed. It just pains me to see the way this education system fails because it doesn't teach you to think or be inspired, but to bubble in answers and use multiple choice test taking skills.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Abby Christopher period 5April 3, 2011 at 3:59 PM

    A big problem in the student body is the fact that there are students that aren’t motivated to do anything. And who can blame them with some of the work teachers give us? The curriculum is boring and doesn’t trigger a person’s interest. High school teaches us regular math, English, social studies, and science, but does it teach us what to do with those things in real life? I agree we need to do something like the independent project, and have students experiment on their own. The only problem I see in the project is the way people like to abuse power. Power needs to be given to someone that the entire student body can rely on or a group of students that can be trusted. Students that are chosen to lead must be chosen with careful selection and thorough background check.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Kiara Brown
    period 6

    I agree with Obama when he said that because it's true about how students in America don't finish school or don't graduate from High School or College. I think students need to be focused on what they want to become in the future and be more educated in school. School is for us to learn and and help us to prepare us for the future. Without School we wouldn't know anything and how to do things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Gabriel Flores
    6th period

    I find this article very intresting. The Independent project is a great idea because it not only prepares kids to an adult life but it also can resolve many problems in which a school district cant control such as life at home. I find this project as a great aproach to revolutionizing America because it teaches responsibility to the future of America. With this being the kids of today will be better equiped to handle the challenges of their future.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Travis Crissman
    2nd period

    I think the Independent Project is an intriguing idea. This is a good idea because it gave students an opportunity to learn more about responsibility by monitoring one another. Students were also able to focus on the “skills of life” that were traditionally taught, but slowly faded away as the focus shifted to preparing for standardized tests. I believe this project was beneficial in many ways — students learned about self-motivation and relied on one another to boost moral and provide encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  78. I fully support this idea and I think its great but there is still a chance of misusing this opportunity to do other things. But when it comes down to it I think this project can result good results.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Bailey Banks
    6th Period

    The idea of students managing their own education is a great idea. People are able to learn and comprehend things better when they are learning things that interest them. In school things are overly planned out, like you do, this, this and then this, ran like a true military. Learning shouldn't be something people dread and fear to face, it should teach you not only about the subject but something about yourself. That explains why the Independent Project was so successful.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Kenneth Pranoto 7 PeriodApril 3, 2011 at 5:35 PM

    Kenneth Pranoto 2 Period

    I like this idea by wanting school to let the students have their own opinion of learning in school. The only problem with this idea is if people don't appreciate school, this idea would be a big mess in the school. My idea is that before they put this idea in every school, they would have like fifty other schools as examples for this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  81. Jeffrey Jhingree
    4th period

    I think that what these students did in this article was a great idea. There are still pros and cons when this idea comes to mind. This would be good for those who struggle in school and have little or no interest in it. Also for the kids who are shy to ask the teachers a question thinking that they will be laughed at. But I agree to what Chris Bready said when not all kids will use this program for what it is supposed to be used for. Some students will take advantage of it just because there is not an adult teaching them.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Grace Bonojo
    4th period

    The idea of teenagers running their education is actually a little terrifying. It's scary the amount of power they're giving teenagers, because teens have to be willing to learn in order for this program to work. However I believe this is a great idea because it is our lives shouldn't we get to choice how we learn? Public education in the present for a lack of a better word reeks. We have to learn at the pace teachers decide to go although some of us learn slower. This program would actually have a positive impact on the lives of so many kids with the will to try. This would put a fun twist on school which is something we all want, to have as much fun as we can while we’re still young.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Merin Mathew
    6

    I think the article is interesting. I can't believe that a quarter of Americans are dropping out of school. I think this Independent project is a great way to help students that are falling behind. Plus it also brings the students more close to one another. It takes a serious, committed students and a supportive faculty to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  84. This article is very interesting. I do agree that education should be more improved so that students get the most from it, but we should not try to make it too fun. They way these students in the article created a lesson plan were very creative. The activities they created are the type of activities that would make me feel good about waking up and going to school. They way we are being taught now are good but not really engaging based off of my experience as a high school student. School now is very boring and predictable makes the atmosphere feel sluggish. I think learning should actually be fun and engaging and make a student wonder and want to learn more. The way the students made learning in this article is the epitome of what I think learning should be.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Nina Tames
    3rd period

    I think its a cool idea. This will forsure make a difference in the end. Doing this will motivate us to do our work and what not. Some kids take longer to process things then others, so its only fair.

    ReplyDelete
  86. K'Vonna Johnson
    5th period
    I think it is an amazing and incredible idea for them to make this Independent program. This is helping many students in the nation excel in the classrooms. They aren't just doing this by themselves though because with the teachers help its very unlikely for them to fall short.This should be shared through the entire U.S. so that upcoming generations will be successful in life and graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  87. I love the idea of the Independent Project. If this project results in drastic improvements in students then schools everywhere should have it. Schools do need better teaching and learning techniques and I believe this project is great. We the students do need to be authors in our own education.
    Steffie Philip
    Period-6th

    ReplyDelete
  88. Samantha Twardowski
    3rd Period

    I think that the Independent Project was a really good experiment. I don't think that I would change the whole curriculum based on what the students want to learn about, but i also think that it is good for the students to be able to pin point what they would like to learn about. I also believe that SOME of the students should have the right to choose what they need to learn about but other students would probably take advantage of the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  89. Nick Brouwer (Period 2)April 3, 2011 at 7:13 PM

    This is head-over-heels better than our current learning system. I constantly question why I should learn something that I will most likely never use, like Biology or Algebra. This gives students an option on what to learn. I love the individual endeavor idea. It is like electives, but with even more freedom. With this kind of freedom, students will want to do their homework because it is about something they want to know about. At the same time, it still makes sure that you are learning without grades.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Joshua Okanlawon
    6th Period

    In this article, it talks about students ruling schools by having clubs and after school activities that has students teaching other students. Most of the curriculum taught in the class won’t be about school but things that happens in the hallways of the school. The other percentage left is learning and studying work from their four main classes. This idea will definitely cause a huge difference in the drop-out rate of America, not increasingly, but it will help decline the drop-out rate of the schools.

    ReplyDelete
  91. Troy Pete
    4th period
    I think this is a good article it is giving kids something to do fun and helping them improve in school. I think kids would like school to also if it had a little fun it and thats why I like this project. I believe that the project will inrease that more students graduate from highschool.

    ReplyDelete
  92. Joel Simon 4th periodApril 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM

    This article is very interesting because they are giving power to students. But I don’t think this is for every school because some people rather do nothing then trying to do a bunch of work. Not everyone will be committed and care bout this project if our school does it. But this is a great way of students learning their own ways of being taught. This could also help drop out rates all over America .

    ReplyDelete
  93. Joel Jacob Period 4April 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM

    I think this is a great idea to involve the kids. This project will help motivate the children to do better in school. I know this would make a big difference in our education. The information we obtain now, prepares us for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  94. Matthew Francis (Period 4)April 3, 2011 at 7:29 PM

    I think that kids taking control for their own education will better prepare them for the road ahead. It will provide them skills that will help them be more mature and independent. Like Jae said people aren't learning the subject for the real world but just memorizing it for the number that comes in the mail. Involving students in school will not only help them learn but build useful connections with each other which may be useful later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  95. Aman Gupte
    Period 6

    I think that this project is a great idea. It could really help out the students. I don’t think that there is anything to lose if every school was to try this project. Also, if it helps me do better, then I’m all for it happening at Elkins.

    ReplyDelete
  96. Alvin Mei
    2nd Period

    I do not think this is a good idea. Teenagers taking over a school, teaching themselves the things teacher would. It does not make any sense why people are coming up with such ridiculous things. I can see why the United State's education is failing. Teachers should be responsible to use their knowledge and experience to teach things to the students, but instead they use children who have no years of experience with the subject to teach it? Please, just let the teachers and students play their role, it has been that way for years, and it should be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  97. 6th period.

    In my opinion, this idea has its ups and downs. The “up” side to this idea is that the students will have the motivation to actually try at school. For an example, the students already know by now which class to slack off and doze in because the teacher isn’t making the effort to teach their students anything. Those types of teachers should make the class more interesting and then it’ll be a win-win situation. The “down” side to this idea, is like what Chris Bready said, “Not all students are great, excellent students.” So if they do get a chance to run the school, there will be no learning and no point of even going to school. I personally think that this idea is good but there should still be teachers and adults there to supervise us so we won’t get out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Joe James
    6th Period
    Great article and a great idea indeed. I just think that why not let students learn what they'll need later on in life, if they're mapping out their future plans that is. The drop rates are so high because some students aren't interested in what they're being taught so they just give up. If this method is applied to more schools then I personally think the drop rates would decrease.

    ReplyDelete
  99. 4th period
    If this can keep a student who wants to drop out of school, in school, then it is obviously a good idea. It should definitely be tested in different high schools though. But the idea itself, does have potential.

    ReplyDelete
  100. Jr Zolayvar Period 6April 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM

    To think that a school would go out on a limb and try this kind of act makes a student feel good cause you know that the staff of your school really wants everyone to succeed while at school. That alone would make me want to try harder and strive towards greatness.

    ReplyDelete