Questions you might want to consider why reading:
What are some reasons the article gives for why businesses in Hong Kong were able to provide faster internet access than most Americans have?
Can you think of other possibilities that the article didn’t address?
Do you think all Americans should have a right to high speed internet access?
What do you think might be some pros and cons to government provided internet access?
Who would likely benefit most?
Who would be responsible for paying?
Cheap, Ultrafast Broadband? Hong Kong Has It
New York Times
March 5, 2011
By RANDALL STROSS
HONG KONG residents can enjoy astoundingly fast broadband at an astoundingly low price. It became available last year, when a scrappy company called Hong Kong Broadband Network introduced a new option for its fiber-to-the-home service: a speed of 1,000 megabits a second — known as a “gig” — for less than $26 a month.
In the United States, we don’t have anything close to that. But we could. And we should.
Verizon, the nation’s leading provider of fiber-to-the-home service, doesn’t offer a gig, or even half that speed. Instead, it markets a “fastest” service that is only 50 megabits a second for downloading and 20 megabits a second for uploading. It costs $144.99 a month. That’s one-twentieth the speed of Hong Kong Broadband’s service for downloading, for more than five times the price.
One thing working in Hong Kong’s favor, of course, is its greater population density, enabling broadband companies to reach multiuser dwellings at a much lower cost. But density is only part of the explanation. The personality of Hong Kong Broadband should be noted, too. A wholly owned subsidiary of City Telecom, it is an aggressive newcomer. It was willing to suffer seven years of losses while building out its fiber network before it turned profitable.
Hong Kong Broadband’s principal competitor is an older company, PCCW, which has several other lines of business, including phone, television and mobile. PCCW also offers gigabit service to the home and benefits from the same population density. But PCCW’s price is more than twice as much as Hong Kong Broadband’s. Despite its low prices, Hong Kong Broadband now operates in the black.
Inexpensive pricing of gigabit broadband is practical in American cities, too. “This is an eminently replicable model,” says Benoit Felten, a co-founder of Diffraction Analysis, a consulting business based in Paris. “But not by someone who already owns a network — unless they’re willing to scrap the network.”
In the United States, costs would come down if several companies shared the financial burden of putting fiber into the ground and then competed on the basis of services built on top of the shared assets. That would bring multiple competitors into the picture, pushing down prices. But it would also require regulatory changes that the Federal Communications Commission has yet to show an appetite for.
Dane Jasper, the chief executive of Sonic.net, an Internet provider based in Santa Rosa, Calif., says that most broadband markets in the United States today are dominated by one phone company and one cable company.
“Why doesn’t Verizon offer gigabit service?” Mr. Jasper asks. “Because it doesn’t have to.”
In its earnings report for the quarter ended Dec. 31, Verizon said its fiber-based Internet service, which serves 12 states and the District of Columbia, was available to 12.8 million premises, an increase of 10 percent from the previous year.
When I asked about its lack of gig service, C. Lincoln Hoewing, Verizon’s assistant vice president for Internet and technology issues, said, “We already offer 150 megabits,” referring to a tier of fiber-based service that is marketed for $195 a month to small businesses in many of its markets. It “seems to be satisfying demand,” he said.
In a follow-up e-mail, a Verizon spokeswoman addressed the company’s lack of a gig service by saying that it offers “speeds that exceed what customers can and do use.”
As long as a gig is expensive, a lack of customer interest shouldn’t be surprising. In October, EPB, the municipal electric utility in Chattanooga, Tenn., introduced a gig option in its fiber-to-the-home Internet services. A spokeswoman said the option, which costs $349.99 a month, currently has only about 20 customers.
It is true that residential customers would now be hard-pressed to fully use anything close to a gig. Compressed, broadcast-quality HD video, for example, uses bandwidth in a range of 5 to 20 megabits a second, depending on the compression used.
But it is possible to imagine situations — a doctor’s office consultation, say, involving specialists scattered around the country, poring over the patient and her cerebral angiogram simultaneously — where multiple, two-way video feeds could chew up a lot of bandwidth. All parties would need the ultrafast connections. But that level of capacity seems distant because each party needed to make it happen — customers, software developers and Internet providers — is waiting for the others to show up first.
GOOGLE doesn’t want to wait. It and Sonic.net are preparing an experimental deployment of gigabit service to 850 faculty and staff homes in a Stanford University subdivision.
Separately, Google plans to select one or several cities where it will offer gigabit service at what it calls “a competitive price” to at least 50,000, and potentially 500,000, people. In a post on the company blog titled “Think Big With a Gig,” it says, “We want to see what developers and users can do with ultra-high speeds, whether it’s creating new bandwidth-intensive ‘killer apps’ and services, or other uses we can’t yet imagine.”
Mr. Jasper of Sonic.net says the history of computing shows us that “no matter how much storage we have or how fast the computing processing speed or network connection speed, applications arise to utilize them.”
While companies like Verizon don’t seem to be in a rush, that little Hong Kong business is saying: A gig? Sure. Join this grand experiment early. At $26 a month, it’s a low-cost ticket to the future.
3rd period
ReplyDeleteI think that Americans should have the right to have a faster internet speed. I say this because as Americans we rely heavily on technology for our everyday lives. I mean what high school student could say they could go a day without Facebook? Also the fact that much of the time we are rushed and need something that instant shows that we should have this. Whether because we need it, or rather we would like to have it.
Ryan Rodriguez
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I think that America has the ability to do what Hong Kong is doing. Componies would make a profit if they had lower prices than the gig that only 20 people have. They could atleast lower the prices of the regular service. I think they just don't want to take the risk.
Tyler Morris
ReplyDelete4th period
I think that this nation and its growing technological phase should definitely have a cheap government broadband network. Why? Because it would enable more things to happen better in this country, for one everybody could communicate much much better. For two we need to be able to have a faster way of communicating with others, not only in our country but in other countries as well. Three shouldn’t we be trying to best everyone in anything technological? Yes! Why not inter, as well as intra, net. Sure intra is private party browsing, but we could still make money off of faster web access for them.
Anthony Chenevert
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I think that faster high speed internet access is probably the best changes in the U.S. People are actually able to work at a more accurate pace, keeping them involved into their jobs. Many jobs could be handed increasing our work labor giving more stimulation to the U.S government. It’s hard to say what the downfall of high speed internet would be because computers are such a huge impact on everyday life themselves. Business oriented people would mainly be of usage to the necessity, but you have to think. Not a lot of people have computer or can afford one.
But bringing this up if students grades 6-12 were allowed to bring their laptops to school it would save a lot of paper because they would have a computer that can hold way more than a piece of paper can, but then not everyone could afford this. But many different ways to inspire better knowledge opportunity is the best way to save the future.
Internet is a great tool and that has been proven over and over again. I hope that we in America get fast internet like that because that will help business and the economy will be stimulated.
ReplyDeleteJay Shah 6th Period
ReplyDeleteI agree with it when it says that since Hong Kong is densely populated, it is cheaper to get high speed internet to them. However, I have Comcast right now, and though it may not be as fast in downloading and uploading as the Chinese one, I can live with waiting maybe 10 more seconds. The only think bad about this is that I'm pretty sure that Comcast costs much more. Plus Comcast probably is about the same speed in searching. Obviously all Americans deserve high speed internet access, but its not possible. Another thing is that most owners of companies in America aren't going take losses of profit for the first 7 years like the man in Japan.
Wow. It is amazing that Hong Kong has the ability to provide one of the fastest internet connections in the world, for one of the cheapest prices. One of the downfalls of living in a free country, is businesses can do what they want. Apple for example: the technology they have on the iPhone 4 could have easily been implemented in one of the earlier models, but because they can do what they want, they choose not to. Americans should have this high speed connection. With this the country can access the internet much faster and easier; and with computers practically taking over the world, it seems necessary. If Japan has the ability to make their internet connection only $26 dollars, than we have the right to also. All in all I think that it would be great for the U.S. to get this new connection, it would really benefit the nation.
ReplyDeleteWith such a large density of people to cover in Hong Kong, it's no wonder a company would offer such a good internet connection! Sure their costs will be through the roof but at the same time, the amount of customers will provide a profit at some point. I think all Americans should have internet, whether or not it's high speed or not is debatable. Plus, companies can gain huge profit from these high-priced services at low cost for them, so naturally they are not going to stop at any point soon. Also, the only people who benefit from services like this are businesses and people who are working with lots of memory (such as Youtube video makers and music recording people). And if this idea of cheap gig internet comes to America, many companies are going to lose for sure and major job loss will ensue. So while it is bad for the customer, moderate priced modest internet is in my opinion the best option.
ReplyDeleteI think that if america had that kind of speed, we would be untouchable. We would rule the world! There would be not countries, there would be no wars... There would just be AMERICA! The United Continents of America.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds a little outrageous, and america has a long way to go, but if this is possible, anything is possible.
Katie Snyder
Esteban Palacios
ReplyDelete6th period
If we were to have a gig in the U.S. then we could definately be able to be a really advanced country. The prices for the internet could lower and then there would be more customers for the companies. Not only that maybe more people would come to the U.S.
I think that the United States deserves the same high speed internet as Hong Kong. I mean, everyone in the world uses the computer and when they need something fast they depend on the computer, and if you can't get it we get mad. I bet that every kid that has a Facebook couldn't go one day without it. If Hong Kong can get this type of speed than we as Americans deserve the the same thing.
ReplyDeleteI think that America has already improved much of its technology over the years, why not this? I believe with high speed internet we will more positive outcomes than negative. The reason Hong Kong is successful in the selling of this product is of course its population density! So although America’s population density is nowhere near theirs, we can strive to be semi-close to this competition.
ReplyDeleteKiah R.
3 period
Period 5
ReplyDeleteIt's really cool that Hong Kong can provide awesome technology for such a low price. I think that American companies have become too caught up with business and have forgotten about consumer satisfaction. If Hong Kong has the technology, I'm sure that Verizon or AT&T would have it too. They are probably just too stuck up to give it to the public for a low price.
Cortney Corley
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think that creating the $26 super fast internet is amazing. I'm sure that new technology like this will eventually spread around the globe, since some countries are already discussing it. Innovations like this shouldn't be kept isolated. Especially when they could benefit millions. I think that Verizon should be preparing just in case they lose business because of this new company in Hong Kong. It never hurts to be cautious, because soon this high speed service will be in high demand.
Amber Tunstall
ReplyDelete4th
I think it shows a lot when small companies like the one in Hong Kong are more advanced than our biggest ones. We're supposed to be so advanced and all of that, but it looks like we're not that much. And look at the price difference! If prices were that low here, then we probably wouldn't have so many economy issues. And our companies were saying that no-one wants this technology, well maybe that's because it's so freaking expensive! I'm sure if it was cheaper, more people would be willing to pay.
Dane Gantt
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
Well, as this is happening in Japan, in America we would never be given such an opportunity for a top of the line service at such a low price. We would be charged for at least ten times what Japan is paying. It just wouldn't work in America.
Period 5
ReplyDeleteThe way society is now I think everyone should have high speed internet! There are millions of people who have businesses that have to use the internet on a daily basis. If we improve like Hong Kong then there would be less worrying on a simple problem like entering a website.
--3rd Period
ReplyDeleteIt is good to see people using technology at its finest, and quite cheaply too. But, it took them some time to hone their networks to accomplish such a feat. And more importantly, this was done by a small corporation, nothing in comparison to what Verizon, Comcast, and AT&T are. But, these companies should be allowing Americans the right to have such technology at hand. And as Chaz mentioned, companies like Comcast and AT&T obviously do not want to lost most of their income just by releasing a great product instantly. Thus, I ultimately feel like an idiot for not being able to program my own network so that way I can make my internet run at 1 Gigabytes per second. If only I had enough knowledge on network setups and took the time to create my own, but sadly I do not have such information.
It would be great if the government could solve this dilemma for me, and actually be useful for once, but this is a major investment and takes away from what America has become, a huge oasis for corporations to utilize. More importantly, the government is already well in debt, and companies like Verizon would obviously not like the fact that their customers would be lost to such a program.
Still, I would gladly appreciate an internet that should be as fast as I pay for. And, this blazing speed and huge network would finally help me and many other gamers reach their potential without dealing with lagging connections. And I guess medical facilities can enjoy the benefits of instant test results from their laboratories too. But, I would be willing to buy a service like this, but it seems like it's too good to be true in America (especially with the decreasing amount of available IP addresses to the growing amount of internet users unless the networks choose to utilize IPv6).
Neethu George
ReplyDelete3rd period
It really is amazing how Hong Kong can provide the fastest internet connections in the world. I think that all American should have a right to high speed internet. It would cost more money to do this but everyone will benefit. We live in a world where almost everyone uses the computer. You might as well spend the money to get faster internet connection.
Logan Gloster
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I literally flipped out when I saw this article. A gig per second is faster than any American service. If we had that here then I think that everyone would be a lot happier with their internet and no one would have to complain about it. This service is the future or internet! Verizon feels comfortable with a slow speed because no one in the company will care as long as they have customers to pay it. That's the problem with the world everyone has the power to be corrupt. People are always at each others necks to be the best or to get the most money. If we all worked together none of that would matter and we could all be happy.
Danielle S.
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
Hong Kong is lucky. I do not understand why Verizon would not be in a rush to get more followers and with many more followers comes plenty more money, which is ultimately all they want. People in Hong Kong definitely benefit and if they're doing a type of business venture with someone in America, then we also benefit.
4th period
ReplyDeleteWow. I'm amazed that they have speeds that high available to them in China, especially since China's economy is still in its developing stages. At my house, I'm paying around that much for a connection that is lower than 10Mbps. 10Mpbs versus 1Gbps (or 1000Mbps) is a huge difference, especially at the same price. The thing that caught my attention the most was the fact that we have he available technology to have speeds that fast here in America, yet we don't, despite the fact that we really could put it to use. I think that if this kind of speed potential is available, then it should be offered to the general public at a price that isn't robbery. You'd have to be RICH to pay $350 per month just for broadband.
Period 4
ReplyDeleteI think this could work out great in America! We should definitely implement it here. It could help with business. And if we had something like this here, people would be happier.
I believe that this would be a great thing for Verizon to consider. If they were to get this gig or maybe just lowering their prices they would have a large increase in customers. I also think that if Hong Kong is able to do this, then we should just as well be able to. I hope that Verizon will put this in consideration because that would be great to have here in the US.
ReplyDeleteKeelie Steinke
Period 5
We definitely need a new definition to lighting speed broadband here! If we implement this idea here we will be doing everyone a favor in the economy, but the benefits would be later in the long run, however. Verizon doesn't care about the user so called user friendly turtle speed cause we simply don't know what fast is. Plus as long as someone pays the unreasonable price of internet then it's more benefit on their part. They don't care if they don't reciprocate the same kind courtesy. Everyone needs to stop hating on each other and go after what benefits majority.
ReplyDeleteDylan Allotta
ReplyDelete4th
Sure, why shouldn't we have faster internet? Well, because it's not up to us. Problems resulting from such actions as the government taking over our internet could be; personal files compromised by government, already existing internet suppliers will suffer financially, and it would cost the government much more money to supply our people with faster internet than Hong Kong. Also, the internet would be practically controlled by the government. But say we leave the government out of it, it would be fantastic. However, price wise, not so much. It already is a possibility for us to be able to receive such internet speeds, but why would businesses give a customer more for the same price. Big business executives would cringe at the words of giving more than they have too for less money. Without the government, the only way I see us getting super fast internet, is in a long time. When the demand of customers finally meets that high of internet speeds, big businesses will relinquish us faster internet for a good hefty price.
Jenny Chang
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I think Americans have the right to a faster internet. If we have this kind of technology, then we should use it in our daily life. It would save us lots of time and reduce frustration. Hopefully, prices would go down in the future.
Ajeet Baath
ReplyDelete6th Pd
I believe that although it is possible to have internet as fast as Hong Kong, American corporations are underhandedly giving us the least in exchange for the most. Like the article mentioned, it’s because of our heavy reliance on the available internet companies that allows them to stay just above their competitors but not give the best there is. The aim for most American companies is to make money the best way they can, which is by pushing a product that us as Americans depend on for what we think is a low price because they told us it was.
Sarah Raines
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think that it would be pretty cool for America to have this sort of thing. We use internet in our daily lives and all. But I mean come on really as if waiting 2 seconds for something to load isn’t fast enough. I don’t think that we need anything faster, but the cheaper factor wouldn’t be such a bad idea. Consumers would be more than thrilled I’m sure. But then again you have to wonder in the sort of economy we are in; right now might not be the best time to start lowering money income. That means less salary and fewer jobs. The whole situation is more complicated than most people put it as.
Kaylah Moore (2ND)
ReplyDeleteI don’t really understand technology that much, but it seems to me that Hong Kong is way ahead of us. Most may be fine where we are now in technology, because we can’t appreciate improvement until we improve. To me it looks like we need to step it up.
Amita Batra
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think that a faster Internet speed would be great! However, it is not an American right. Just because we live in America does not mean that we have the right to have the best of everything. We cannot forget that we live in a world full of newly developing countries and they are working just as hard as America.
Brandon Psencik
ReplyDelete3rd period
April 6th 2011
I agree with most of you when you say that this higher speed of internet and the low cost is amazing but is essentially not needed by our modern day society. I mean yay it would be very helpful if we had faster internet speed but do we really want to influence this on our children. I know from my parents that they didn’t always have computers and if they were able to make due with it then, why can’t we do it now. I can’t believe what I'm saying because I know that I would love it if we had faster internet but I know I don’t want my kids to be like me and worse when it comes to being on the computer. I want my kids to be like my parents were and go outside and have fun instead of being pale (which isn’t wrong) and be tan and crisp with me knowing that they are living the dream all parents want there kids to live. With this faster internet I would increase our economy but not by much people seem to think that ten seconds faster will make the world better by a lot. Truth is, it won’t. If humanity was able to make due before we can surely make due with what we have now.
Ayoub Saber
ReplyDelete4th Period
I think if we have a faster internet, we will use it in daily life. It could help with business. And if we had something like this here, people would be happier. And I know that america has the ability to do it as soon as possible.
Marcus Levine
ReplyDelete4th period
It is interesting how Hong Kong can provide the fastest internet service in the world. The people of America should have a right to a high speed internet. It would cost more money to do said plan, but everyone could only benefit from this. We live in a world where almost everyone uses a computer of some sort; a laptop mostly but still. People might as well spend the money to get faster internet connection.
High Speed internet might sound like a good idea to some people and might be a benefit, but clearly, it is not needed with Americans. With more people loosing their jobs and receiving lower pay checks, not that many people are going to be able to afford the high speed internet, and the only purpose of having high speed internet is to cause less frustration within people who are very impatient. Yeah, it might sound cool, but do we REALLY need this?
ReplyDeleteIt is good for China that they have the high speed internet but it actually is very limited. China is a communist country so the things that they are allowed to visit on the internet is probably very limited. America is doing just fine with what we have and hopefully it will be more cost efficient in the coming years.
ReplyDeleteJoey Wright
ReplyDelete6th period
I think that the reason why Japan is being offered fast speed with low prices is because that Japan is one of those countries that depend heavily on technology. Japan, in my opinion, can not fully operate without the use of computers and other electronic devices. These things are what their economy is based on. Japan does a lot of trading with electronics and without the high speeds they wouldn't be able to do business as well with other countries. The United States is still in the stage of where electronics is not the most important thing because we have a diverse economy we don't have to depend on just electronics. However, the demand for things such as computers, phones, and etc, is growing. I think that the companies shouldn't lower the price to something that is more affordable and reasonable the speed that we are allowed to receive from the companies.
Joseph Asthappan
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
Since Japan is a large producer of technological items, many people have advance technology around their cities than countries like the United States. So they depend on other countries with high advance technology if they are in need of any help. Phone companies like Verizon simply want more money, and with economy like this I understand their problem not able to obtain the "gig" but rather keep their "fastest" serves. Most likely Verizon is going to get bankrupted like most other companies or be bought from another company. But it makes America seem poor when the company in Japan charges $25 when Verizon charges $140.99 a month. It is a big difference, but we have to pay to obtain the rights we are given while people in Japan have to pay one fourth of what we pay.
Erica Barrera
ReplyDelete5th period
I think if we moved to faster internet and a lower price for it, we would probably lose some money. Looking at our problem with money right now, I don’t think we can afford to lose any at this point. I mean it would be awesome to have faster internet but I don’t thing we need to look at something that will probably cost us an arm and a leg to make better. We also don’t know if China’s having any problems with money because if they were then I think they would have raised the prices of internet service by now.
The reason that Hong Kong has this is because countries like China and Japan are highly industrialized and have a huge biomass. China has the highest population of any country in the world so that is an abundant amount of customers. In America, the only purpose of a business is to make money. Companies like Verizon are already making money. Although they always want more money, there haven't been many people showing interest in it and then the price they would offer would run away any customer in this economy. A gig in incredibly fast and frankly, I think it will only be useful in places like hospitals or government and military purposes, if they don't already have it. If citizens really want it, then they should show lots of interest to get more companies interested.
ReplyDeleteAlvin Mei
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
Wow, this article was really interesting. The only reason why Hong Kong was able to pull this ultra fast connection is because "they" as in Asia, are well developed, and the children are learning harder, and faster. This is a big step up in the world of technology, and I am glad that the United States notice that, and finally got to work, trying to catch up with China and Japan.
Chris Bready
ReplyDeleteperiod 6
Japan is a growing nation and as they grow, their technology should grow also. The United States, in my opinion has stopped growing, but our technology has not. However, we are in a huge debt right now because of our spending problems.
Tristan Smith
ReplyDelete4th Period
I think that this nation and its growing technological phase should definitely have a cheap government broadband network. I also think that the fact that its way cheaper and way faster for internet broadband in Hong Kong doesn't look good on our part. But it would be nice if we did have something like that in the future. Although, I would have to agree with Amita Batra from 3rd period, even though it would be cool its not an American right.
John Moore
ReplyDelete6th period
I think that because of America's pricing on things this would not be possible. We have brought up the price of cable and internet and the companies would lose more money than they would make. Also, because of our economic system the companies have the right to charge whatever they want for internet and cable and because the big names are money hungry corporations they wouldn't lower their prices for anything.
Joseph Asthappan
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
Since Japan is a large producer of technological items, many people have advance technology around their cities than countries like the United States. So they depend on other countries with high advance technology if they are in need of any help. Phone companies like Verizon simply want more money, and with economy like this I understand their problem not able to obtain the "gig" but rather keep their "fastest" serves. Most likely Verizon is going to get bankrupted like most other companies or be bought from another company. But it makes America seem poor when the company in Japan charges $25 when Verizon charges $140.99 a month. It is a big difference, but we have to pay to obtain the rights we are given while people in Japan have to pay one fourth of what we pay.
I feel that the US should have this gig broadband connection. If Hong Kong has it, why don't we? I like Google's idea of not waiting and say that some of these internet companies should introduce a new gig connection. This would give us so many opportunities to try new experiments and inventions on the internet. Communication and trade would also increase between states and even countries around the world.
ReplyDeleteCarolyne Lu
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
The people in the U.S do all deserve fast internet access because internet is such a big part of our lives now! However, I think it would only really be beneficial to those who really really absolutely need it, and not want it, because in reality, how many people really need super fast extreme speed internet? I'm sure we're all content with the internet now anyways. Plus, wouldn't it be more expensive? If the "slower" speed is already costing us so much, why should we pay even more for something we don't absolutely require? It's really just about what we want and what we actually need. I'm not saying I don't want super fast internet speed because that'd be pretty awesome, but it's not like we all have to have it or we're going to die.
Merin Mathew
ReplyDeletepd 6
I think America should also have high speed internet because of the businesses that depend on technology. Our world is starting to depend on technology which it is a bad and good thing. I think there is a disadvantage for the government providing the internet because since China is a communist government, they will probably filter what the people have to say. They wouldn't be able to voice their opinion like we are doing right now. Who would benefit from this would be the government because they would get money from this. Who is responsible for paying for it are obviously the people using it.
Prerna Kamnani
ReplyDelete4th Period
I think all Americans should have the right to high speed internet. Today, technology plays a big role in society. Internet is extremely important for people today. It is a form of communication, and it provides information. Problems that can occur with the government controlling the internet would privacy issues. The internet providers today will suffer economically. It would cost our government much more to provide internet than it would Hong Kong. I do not think that companies will be quick to give their customers faster internet because it would cost them money. Their goal is only to earn profit which they are already getting. It is a great idea to have high speed internet for everybody, but it will take a period of time before anything happens in America.
I agree that cheap high speed internet could be really great but would we really get it? Probably not. Since our population density is lower than Hong Kong's and because most things in the U.S are generally more expensive than in Asia, the price for this connection would be high. And if the prices were too high, many people wouldn't buy it. Besides, our internet is not in horrible shape right now, so why can't we be happy what we have for now?
ReplyDeleteAzim Hemdani
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I think that it is great for people in Hong Kong to have a good network for a very low price. But on the other hand I don't think it is right to compare Hong Kong's network to Verizon because there are many other networks that are worse and more expensive. I also think that this gig is a great way for people to communicate while not having to be buried in phone bills. Hong Kong has done the right thing by creating this network and I am sure that it will become famous and usable worldwide if noticed and used at this rate.
Jade Martin
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think that it is really cool that Hong Kong has that high speed internet for a small price. I do think America should be able to get this type of internet. If Hong Kong can get it, then I think America would have no problem getting it. If this option was available to us I feel that everyone would have it and would be able to benefit from it.
Kiara Brown
ReplyDeleteperiod 6
I think that America needs to catch up with the speeds of Hong Kong, since we are the world's most powerful country. I also think that Verizon should not be able to have almost complete control of the internet service in America if they are not being fair and competitive in the world market. And yes, I do think that all Americans should have access to high-speed internet because not only would our businesses benefit but everyone would. Everyone would now be able to share information faster making us more connected.
John Moore
ReplyDelete6th Period
I believe that since Japan and China's economic systems are controlled by the government then they tell the corporations what to charge and the mechanisms behind it. In America we have something called a Free Market Economy, which is where everyone and their grandmother can start a company and sell whatever they want as long as it is legal for whatever price they want. Supply and Demand also sets that price and we as consumers are willing to pay high prices for "high-speed internet" and "broadband" then the companies have no reason to lower it unless there is competition. Until it becomes a necessary tool that is needed in every single home rich, poor, unstable, stable then companies will charge whatever they want and we won't become like China and Japan.
Jae Phan 4 Pd
ReplyDeleteThe world is taking a big leap, technology is being evolved all over earth. It is interesting that Google will have such a huge effect on industries in the internet. I believe everyone has the right to use the internet, it is sort of one big social network.
Francescha Rundle
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
Almost everyone in America uses and needs computers for work, projects and much more. Having faster internet would mean a faster way to get more research and needed information. The way Hong Kong has more "gigs" and having it cost less than $26 a month is cool. America should do this also and, in conveniance to customers, lower prices. Some cons to this might be that the U.S. needs as much money as it can get, so these prices might just not change.
Yeah we should get this kind of Internet because we're just as advanced as Hong Kong so why not even though it may take 7 years to get that fiber network in but it may help us out in the future. A company might actually start this and this could motivate more companies to follow suit so it may take a while, but we will eventually get there.
ReplyDeleteHamza R.
Period 3
Americans do not have a right to high speed internet. America has survived for at least two hundred years without any internet at all. Americans do have a right, however, to run a business. If Google wants to install those fiber optic cables, then they have a right to do that.
ReplyDeleteI agree with many of the commenters , USA should try reducing their prices on goods. Countries like China and India make huge profits in exporting because their products are cheaper. For an average man with average earnings,a japanese car is more affordable than a luxurious American car. Therefore the lower the prices are , the larger the quantity of sales take place.
ReplyDeletePeople should migrate to China to make money. Staying in America for the next couple years would be a stupid idea. Dive off the sinking should; this is what we, youngsters must bring into action. Even though America is a major producer of electronics and items of that sort, I lost hope in another uprise for America.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, the United States has more to worry about then giving Americans faster broadband. The idea would be very nice, and give leisure to Americans, but it wouldn't clothe the homeless or supply the jobless with jobs. The main things America needs to be focusing on are the homeless and jobless, and developing new energy sources. The extras that we want can be developed after we fix the major problems that are in America.
ReplyDelete-Ryan Haines
K'Vonna Johnson
ReplyDelete5th period
If we had a faster internet it would impact America greatly. It would help so many companies and keep people updated with their jobs and the world around them.So I agree with the U.S getting a faster internet program.
People that know me, or at least most of them, know that I use the computer a lot. Honestly though, I'm not having any problems with the connection speed. Of course if I can get faster broadband for the same or even cheaper price, why not? I'm sure everyone's thoughts are the same. With our generation, people are all about saving money or buying things that make life easier. Having a government-provided internet connection would satisfy both of those needs.
ReplyDeleteDaniel Thai
Period 5
Gabriel Camera
ReplyDelete6th period
Having fast internet in the US would make us a more developed country than what we already are. People would be happier and business would work so much faster than ever. I really think that we should posses that program, so that we can communicate through the technology world.-
Charlene Sigua
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think our internet is fine as it is. We already have a fast internet, so I don't really see the point in having one that's "faster". But the fact that it could be cheaper is a good idea.
China has many of the luxuries that we enjoy today. One main difference would be that the freedom that we possess is comparatively more in regards to what the Chinese people experience. People in USA can do anything according to their will , but in a communist country certain actions are restricted and could be punishable. In terms of internet speed, I think the average speed of internet here is pretty sound. China definitely spend a huge amount of time and capital on this project. It is greatly helpful if schools had faster internet, but referring back to the school budget, keeping the present internet speed is more money efficient. We don't have that much money to invest at this moment of the year.
ReplyDeleteI don't really see that much of a problem with this. I mean awesome China has fast internet. However, considering the fact that there country is communist I guarantee there are restrictions on what they can do with it. Honestly America's internet/technology is perfectly fine the only thing we need to do is make it cheaper.
ReplyDeleteI think America is capable of doing what Hong Kong is doing. However, knowing how much Americans depend on internet access now, companies can charge us whatever they want for internet that is clearly slower than that of Hong Kong. Considering how much we as Americans depend on internet access now, we should definitely do what Hong Kong is doing.
ReplyDeleteSamantha Twardowski
ReplyDelete3rd Period
When reading this article, I could not believe the fact that the Internet here is so slow! When I think about how fast our Internet goes, I can't even think about how fast it is in Hong Kong. I don't think that everyone should have the right to that fast of Internet access. People would abuse the fact that it goes so fast and something bad will/would end up happening.
Sean Nelson
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think that this is very cool for Hong Kong to have. Everybody hates a slow computer and internet, but we also hate paying for high speed and other such things. This new plan in Hong Kong is a good one, and it would flourish in many other countries as well. I think that this is something that the United States should look into and maybe introduce something like it in years to come.
Prerna Kamnani
ReplyDelete4th Period
I think that all Americans deserve to have high speed internet. The internet has now become an essential necessity in our everyday lives. Our world today runs on the internet for communication and information. All Americans should have the right to have internet that runs on high speed. I think in America the government would never be able to provide internet to all their citizens. In essence, it seems like a great idea. Our internet providers today are too competitive and profitable to let the government provide our internet. The government providing our internet would definitely cost more than it costs in China. Also, the privacy of our internet security would be questionable with the government controlling our internet. I think that high speed internet is essential and it should happen. It will take a period of time for all of America to have high speed internet.
Faster internet would be amazing. As Americans a lot of our lives are on the computer and even some of our social life is on there, so yes faster internet would be a good thing. In school I hate sitting in front of my computer waiting for 10 minutes for a page to download, and that just wasted ten minutes of my life and 10 minutes in which I could’ve finished the entire project, with faster internet that wouldn’t be a problem. Faster internet would definitely cost a lot of money, but I think that if there was a company that could figure out how to solve the problem of high cost, then faster internet wouldn’t be a problem.
ReplyDelete2nd period
ReplyDeleteSure a slower internet would frustrate people, but the internet services major companies provide is good enough. Waiting 10 more seconds for a page to load is not the worst thing in the world.
Nico Alba
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I think that the United States deserves the same high speed internet as Hong Kong. I mean, everyone in the world uses the computer and when they need something fast they depend on the computer, and if you can't get it we get mad. I bet that every kid that has a Facebook couldn't go one day without it. If Hong Kong can get this type of speed than we as Americans deserve the the same thing.
Riquerra Broadnax Period 2
ReplyDeleteI think it would be great for to have high speed internet and I think Japan is doing a great thing offering it for a low price. If more people could get the infornation they needed at a quicker speed it's fine with me. I believe that most likely the Hong Kong will benifit from this since they are the first ones to offer high speed for a low price.
John T. Gann
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
This is not profitable, the article said the profit won’t come until seven years! And this company is government subsidized! On top of all this we do not own electronics that can use 1gb of internet...a ps3 that runs at an amazing rate cant handle a gig of internet, the computers we use, even a 5,000 dollar mac pro can only handle about 500mb half of a gig. As cool as this sounds it in not economically sound, nor realistic, nor practical.
Nick Grieger
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I do not understand why Verizon does not invest their money into making downloading and uploading quicker. I would definitely increase their income and attract other customers from different service providers.
I find this unsurprising. Hong Kong is a much smaller market than the U.S. so it is much easier for them to introduce new technology at much lower costs. It is literally a city versus a large country. However, that does not mean the U.S. cannot introduce similar technology some time in the near future. It will just take more time, money, and effort for those involved.
ReplyDeleteI do not understand why Verizon would not be in a rush to get more followers and with many more followers comes plenty more money, which is ultimately all they want. People in Hong Kong definitely benefit and if they're doing a type of business venture with someone in America, then we also benefit.
ReplyDeleteSteffie Philip
Period-6th
Nina Tames
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
Okay this sounds amazing. Having faster internet? That would help us Americans a lot, because most of us use the internet daily, like busnisses, and it would defiantly lower the frustration level because I know I get very impatient and frustrated by having slow-ish internet. And it'd be cheaper.
I found this surprising because I thought the internet I was currently using was pretty fast. However, the article is saying that we can have faster internet. I believe that if we can have it then we should have it. Everyone values their time and I'm pretty sure they'd spend it in places other than in front of a computer.
ReplyDeleteI believe that America has the things needed to make this happen but so many times before you see Americans relying on others for things and not doing them on their own. Although it sounds like a fantastic idea cause all of us kids would love a faster computer and parents to for work, America has to step up and do it. Shoot for $26, I would switch to it in a heart beat. I think that America should try this and see how it works out. I'm sure that they would find it would bring in more profit and defiantly be something everybody could benifit from in some way. From kids to parents, everybody would enjoy a fast computer.
ReplyDeleteJoshua Okanlawon
ReplyDelete6th Period
The new cheap broadband internet is very good, especially in our bad economy. Lots of people in the United States would buy the internet even though it lacks internet protection. Most internet services talks about internet protection and how it can supply the protection with some type of package deal security with the internet purchase. But since it is so fast and cheap, they figured people can buy outside internet sources like Norton.
Jeffrey Jhingree
ReplyDelete4th period
I agree with the majority of the people that cheap faster internet would be a great idea especially since how bad the economy has been lately. With a lot of people out of jobs, paying $144.99 can be hard just for internet service. China and Japan's technology is rapidly becoming more advanced. The U.S. technology is also growing but we do not have the money to keep spending because of the huge debt we have.
It is cool that there is technology that goes super speed but the cons can convert that awesomeness into something horrible. Here in American pretty much everything is hooked up to the grid of computers, phones, gaming consoles, and etc., so image is we had to change even for one day so they can upgrade their software. To make it simple, it's impossible. So of course it is in the best interest of company that until high speed it mass produced and easier to handle then they might make a switch.
ReplyDeleteMarissa Moss
ReplyDelete5th period
While this new "gig" thing is higly innovative and really cool, I highly doubt very many people in the U.S. would really put this too much use. I, for instance, rarely use the internet. Besides for Facebook and school work, I don't even get on my computer. Plus with going through seven years of losses and the possbility of people not wanting it, I don't see internet providers making very much profit off of this.
America technology been improved so much over these past years. If we had high speed internet it could help every one. This could become very beneficial for our country. This could help many people with a lot of their problems.
ReplyDeleteHong Kong is a world leader in technology therefore this should not be that strange to hear. Although this may be the case this is not acceptable for Americans not to have the same benefits. This is because the internet is one of the most used technologies in the United States. Therefore Americans do need the world's fastest internet services in the world. This is due to the fact that the 4 highest internet users compared to the percentage of people living within the country compared to China with the 13 highest in the world. Therefore the Americans rely on the internet more then the Chinese residents do. Although I believe Americans need the great internet service the price is to steep to consider in this economic downturn. This is because 10 percent of Americans are out of work, while many are in fear of loosing their job and paying $350 monthly is to steep for most Americans to consider. In conclusion although I am in favor of the speeds of the Hong Kong internet to come more popular in America the price is just too high to justify.
ReplyDeleteLillian Cancino
ReplyDelete3rd Period
First of all, I would like to say that Hong Kong is offering this at an extremely low price. This gig thing is something new and you would think that it would be more expensive. Verizon may not be in a rush to adding this but they should be. I think all People have the right to have fast internet service, but only if they can pay for it. I know many people would have wanted it to be free, but let's be real hardly anything is free in this world anymore. All that matters to most people is the money, and with this they can sure make a lot of it. I think that if we were to have government provided internet service, we would be paying for it with the taxes that we pay. It may look like it is free, but in reality your still paying for it a different way. And with this also comes problems like higher tax rates. The tax already is high enough for some people, and can you imagine now what the prices would be with this new gig thing? It would be a lot. This is why I think that it's ok for Verizon not to rush this, although it seems like they should.
I think this is good idea in some ways. Yeah it would be nice to have really fast internet for 26$ a month. But the internet companies probably have the monthly bill so high to make more money. That’s all you need right now is money and a lot of it in this economy. But the fast internet would help with our day to day lives a lot, and it would save time
ReplyDeleteTravis Crissman
ReplyDelete2nd period
I believe that Americans should have the right to Internet service that is much faster and more affordable. I can definitely understand how faster Internet access would be beneficial to many companies — making it easier, faster and more efficient to do business. I think part of the problem in the United States is that many companies are too greedy and want high profits to provide service. If these companies were allowed to share in the cost of putting in the fiber network, and could then compete to provide service to consumers, this would allow consumers to receive more competitive rates.
Saimol Edaparampil
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think what Hong Kong is doing with gigs is amazing. If Verizon did that here and also lowered the price then they would have many customers come to them. Also, if the world had internet connection like Hong Kong does, that would be great because as years go by, technology is growing bigger and many people use the internet for many reasons.
Betty Ponce.
ReplyDelete3rd period.
I agree with Joshua on this,and that we can do what Hong Kong is doing and possible even more. I believe that the United States as whole can achieve this but only by working together. There are many philanthropist throughout the nation and if they workeed together and united, there's no telling of the endless accomplishments they can do to help make the U.S. an even greater nation and be looked at with grand superiority like Hong Kong.
Jaison Mathew
ReplyDelete4th Period
I think Hong Kong is very lucky to have internet at that speed for a very low price. I wish some networks or companies would try to do the same, but because people are already paying for what they already offer, they don't need to offer a faster speed. I'm pretty sure if a large network offered something like this, then they would quickly become a huge competitor of Verizon, Comcast, Entouch, At&T,etc. One problem that I think might come up is internet security. Overall I think it could be a great product, especially in today's economy.
Raphael Laran
ReplyDelete5th Period
A cheap, ultra fast broadband network would be great for Americans. Well it depends on the situation, this super fast internet access should be a privilege, not a right. Teens would be using it for Facebook or other stuff that may either make things easier to communicate with friends or just waste time. If students could use laptops in school to work on their school work, things would be more efficient. And if this ultra fast broadband is cheap, it would be easy to pay for it, which is good since the U.S. is in this state of a low economic level.
Faster internet would be amazing. As Americans a lot of our lives are on the computer and even some of our social life is on there, so yes faster internet would be a good thing. But why is everything good and revolutionary entitled only to the rich? If companies made the prices lower for this type of internet speed, more people would buy it which means more money for them and faster internet for us. Everybody’s happy.
ReplyDeleteJames Joseph
2nd period
Bailey Banks
ReplyDelete6th Period
The faster Internet services that are available in China sound great, but Americans simply can't have everything they want as soon as they say they want it. This faster Internet will soon spread across the globe just as well as any other product or idea has, we just have to be patient. We also have to take into consideration that China is pretty much the leader in technology right now. The country of China has the ability to take American based products and make them better, so we can't necessarily think that just because China has it that we should just because we live in America.
I love how the article explained why Verizon doesn't do this, "because it doesn't have to". That is incredibly true, there would be less of a profit if they tried this, but they don't have to because their competitors aren't big enough to make a profit this way. The fact that Hong Kong has a high population density probably makes this a lot cheaper, though. This is just showing how Verizon, being the biggest provider of broadband networking, cellular communications, among other things, has grown to big to the point where it practically has a monopoly.
ReplyDelete4th Period
ReplyDeleteI think having high speed internet for the U.S. will make our economy grow not only technologically but also financially, because it will open more job opportunities for the community. I also think that the world will grow economically if the world has high speed internet. Even if there is another is natural disaster people be more in contact with their loved ones if they are hurt or safe.
I was very surprised when I read this article. I thought that we had fast internet already and it was shocking to know that it can be faster. I think that this is very good thing for Hong Kong to have. I'm pretty sure most people hate slow computers and slow internet, but people also hate paying the high price for high speed internet.
ReplyDeleteHigh seed Internet is a great way to help this economy move in the right direction! If we use faster internet, many will be able to buy online products faster. Unfortunately, like Ajeet said, many corporations in America only wants to make a quick buck. Not saying that is bad, but to a point where many invest poorly and cheaply in America's future, it can be.
ReplyDelete- Justin Johnson
6 period
Aileen Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
Sure, why shouldn't Americans have faster internet access? It's not like it's going to do much harm, and America can have the chance to catch up to China and Japan's advanced technology. However, I don't understand why we have to pay so much when Hong Kong offers faster service. The main issue I see if the government provides the internet is the possibility of having less privacy and a more limited/controlled access.
Leslie Vazhappilly
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I really found this article surprising to me because, I thought till now that my internet was really fast. I don't see how fast that internet can go really, it really fast right now for my my computer. If it could faster, I don't think it make a difference, because I cant really see it with a naked eye. I don't think it make a difference to me. But it would really help us if we have faster downloading speeds.
Mishi Jain
ReplyDeleteperiod 2
I think that America also deserves this cheap and fast internet. As Americans today, we are very technology-based and the internet is part of our daily lives. We practically use it for anything and everything. If we use it so much we need to have cheap and fast internet. I think that Verizon needs to invest in this and they would benefit much out of it. In this way it is win-win situation.
Ervin Ricasio
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
America has a long way to go to get up to that speed, but I think that we have the ability to move at the pace as Hong Kong. The population in Hong Kong is very high and still they get high-speed internet, but why can’t we have high-speed connections. Considering the importance of technology in our every daily lives, I think it’s important that we keep up with technological advances in other parts of the world.
4th period
ReplyDeleteOne of the cons for having the government provide internet, is that our taxes would go up. I do think that all Americans should have it, because it seems like everything involves computers or cellphones now. I also think back to middle school when I would have a lot of homework to do using the internet and how much more difficult it was for me to complete it because I didn't have internet access at home, and I was depending on libraries.
Emily Panozzo
ReplyDelete4th Period
The fact that Hong Kong has far more rapid and cheap internet services doesn't surprise me at all. Neither does the fact that this type of service that is so convenient isn't available to U.S. citizens. The corporations of the nation are very money obsessed and there is a constant competition of how one can get that money with their business. That is just how the U.S. is run and I don't think the citizens should expect/deserve better services. Yes we are a fast pace nation but wanting better service is going to mean higher prices. Plus isn't there already a sufficient enough system to work with? The nations other than the U.S. seem to be much harder workers and that's why they have this system cracked. Giving them the opportunity to advance in this field will only help American businesses because the technology will already be developed so that it can be used at its best. Arguing over when the technology will be introduced is just pointless, for now.
Grace Bonojo
ReplyDelete4th period
I honestly didn't know internet service could get any faster than it is now. The idea of low price faster speed internet service is actually very smart and a steal. The economy now-a-days has so many people making budget cuts and if we as consumers are offered more affordable bargain we'd take it. Like every good thing there's a price to pay and this price would have to be paid by the government. They government must be willing to be able to withstand years of loss before they can see a profit and that is a risk our government is not willing to take at a time like this. Our economy would benefit most from this new technology because of the amount of people that would be willing to switch to this service.
Aman Gupte
ReplyDelete6th Period
I think that it is really cool that the Internet speed is becoming faster! I feel like such technological advances are great accomplishments of the entire human race. I hope to see this speed of Internet around the rest of the world and the USA. We can really use it now that we all have such busy schedules. It would make life a lot more efficient!
Abels Koshy
ReplyDeletePeriod:6
I agree with most of you when you say that this higher speed of internet and the low cost is amazing but is essentially not needed by our modern day society. Americans should have internet, whether or not it's high speed or not is debatable. Plus, companies can gain huge profit from these high-priced services at low cost for them, so naturally they are not going to stop at any point soon. But I don't want our next generation to have high speed internet but not be able to get up from their seat because they are to lazy to get up.
Abin Joes
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I think that it would be pretty cool for America to have this sort of thing. We use internet in our daily lives and all. But I mean come on really as if waiting 2 seconds for something to load isn’t fast enough. I don’t think that we need anything faster, but the cheaper factor wouldn’t be such a bad idea. Consumers would be more than thrilled I’m sure. But then again you have to wonder in the sort of economy we are in; right now might not be the best time to start lowering money income. That means less salary and fewer jobs. The whole situation is more complicated than most people put it as.
Kyne Onyenze
ReplyDelete3rd Period
Businesses in Hong Kong were able to provide faster internet access because a lot of them worked together to create a faster, more efficient internet service. Americans should have access to faster internet due to the fact that almost everyone uses the internet now adays. Many jobs require the use of internet and the faster the internet, the faster the people can get their jobs done. Bussiness oriented people and many students will be greatly benefited by this. It would allow them to get their jobs done faster. The internet providers would most likely be paying.