Study: Increased Coal Use Halted Global Warming
BBC News
By Richard Black
Environment correspondent, BBC News
The lull in global warming from 1998 to 2008 was mainly caused by a sharp rise in China's coal use, a study suggests.
The absence of a temperature rise over that decade is often used by "climate sceptics" as grounds for denying the existence of man-made global warming.
But the new study, in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, concludes that smog from the extra coal acted to mask greenhouse warming.
China's coal use doubled 2002-2007, according to US government figures.
Although burning the coal produced more warming carbon dioxide, it also put more tiny sulphate aerosol particles into the atmosphere which cool the planet by reflecting solar energy back into space.
The researchers conclude that declining solar activity over the period and an overall change from El Nino to La Nina conditions in the Pacific Ocean also contributed to the temperature plateau.
Lead researcher Robert Kaufmann from Boston University, whose research interests span climate change and world oil markets, said the study was inspired by "sceptical" questioning.
"Two years ago, I gave a talk to a general audience in New Jersey about climate change," he told BBC News.
"And an older gentleman asked me 'why should I believe in this climate change - I was watching Fox News and they said the Earth's temperature hasn't changed in 10 years and has actually gone down'.
"At that stage I wasn't paying much attention to climate change - I'd returned to working on oil markets - so I went back and checked the data and found that was just about right."
Mainstream answers
Mainstream climate scientists have traditionally answered the "no warming since 1998" claim in two ways.
One is by pointing out that 1998 saw the strongest El Nino conditions on record, which transfer heat from the oceans to the atmosphere, warming the planet.
So while you may not see a temperature rise if you start the series in 1998, you do see one if you begin with 1997 or 1999.
The second answer is to point out that temperatures will naturally vary from year to year, and to point to the consistent upward trend seen when long-term average temperatures are used rather than annual figures.
But the new study, which uses statistical models that are very different from the models traditionally used to simulate the Earth's climate, offers an alternative way of explaining the apparent halt.
According to figures from the US Energy Information Administration (EIA), the rate at which coal use was increasing around the world showed a sharp acceleration around 2003, with China in the vanguard.
China's consumption had doubled over two decades from 1980. But from 2002, it doubled again in the five years to 2007.
As the latest report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) emerged in 2007, it was not able to include this data.
Piers Forster from the UK's Leeds University, who led the IPCC chapter analysing factors affecting global temperatures, said the new study was "interesting and worthwhile".
"The masking of CO2-induced global warming by short term sulphur emissions is well known - it's believed that the flattening off of global mean temperatures in the 1950s was due to European and US coal burning, and just such a mechanism could be operating today from Chinese coal," he told BBC News.
"Other natural fluctuations in the Sun's output, volcanoes and water vapour have also been proposed for causing the non-warming 'noughties', and may have contributed to a degree.
"It needs to be emphasised that any masking is short-lived, and the increased CO2 from the same coal will remain in the atmosphere for many decades and dominate the long-term warming over the next decades."
Since the end of the study period, in 2007, China's coal consumption has risen again by about 30%.
Out of the shadow
The European and US coal boom after World War 2 caused such an environmental impact in terms of urban smog and acid rain that many governments introduced legislation curtailing the output of aerosols.
As the air cleared, global temperatures began to rise again; and Professor Kaufmann believes the same thing is likely to happen now, as China and other developing countries get to grips with their burgeoning environmental issues.
The last two years' data suggest temperatures are once more beginning to rise; but how fast this happens depends on a number of factors.
One is how quickly the rapidly industrialising countries mandate the fitting of equipment that removes sulphate particles.
Another is solar activity. Recently, it showed signs of picking up as the Sun enters a new cycle of activity, although recent research raises the possibility of a new lull.
Other research groups, meanwhile, have produced evidence showing that natural cycles of ocean temperature, such as the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation, may restrain temperatures for another decade or so.
Uncertainties over aspects of the Earth's immensely complex climate system, such as melting ice and the behaviour of clouds, could also skew the overall picture.
But Robert Kaufmann is in no doubt that temperatures will pick up if greenhouse gas emissions continue to rise.
"People can choose not to believe in [man-made] climate change - but the correct term here is 'belief' - believing is an act of faith, whereas science is a testing of hypotheses and seeing whether they hold up against real world data.
"Even before this paper there wasn't much scientific evidence for denying climate change, and now I don't see any credible scientific contradiction - if people don't believe it, it'll be because they choose not to believe it."
Monday, October 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kevin Joseph
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
Choosing not to believe in global warming seems ignorant, but its strange how the global temperature has gone down in the past ten years, even though China's coal use has doubled twice in this time. I think we still need more evidence to prove either side of the argument.
Kennedy Ford
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
Global warming is a big deal and not to care is saying you are giving up on the earth. I agree with Kevin, it’s funny how the temperature has decrease but China uses twice as much coal. I suggest we look at this subject a little more and see what we can do to help. We need to take action to save our planet.
Jeremy Sandil
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
This article about temperature changes are crazy. Especially about China's consumption of coal increasing year by year and doubling. People should believe that climates are changing and not deny it. They should look at their surroundings and pay attention to their environment. In my opinion people are wrong about denying man made climate change, I think its our fault for hurting the earth and not taking care of it properly. I mean look at the temperature they begin to rise and the worlds climates are changing. People should be concerned about this planets future and look at whats happening, they should do what is right before its too late.
Paul Stallings
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
There are facts on both sides of the global warming, no global warming debate. I find it odd though how the global temperature has gone down in the past 10 years. Even with all the green house gasses, and the doubling of China's coal usage. I think there should be more data presented and more facts gathered to completely choose weather we are experiencing global warming, or not experiencing it.
Aadithya Srivatsav
ReplyDelete5th period
I think that going green is now not a choice, but a lifestyle. We should all pitch in and try to save the Earth. Whether it's avoiding plastic bags or driving a Eco-friendly car. We should preserve our one and only home not just for us, but for the many future generations to come. The people who think that the temperatures are not increasing, this summer was not a ordinary Houston summer with temperatures always at 100. So let's save our one and only home.
Nima Faegh
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
I am a person who cares dearly about our environment, so when I even think about the thought of global warming, I cringe. Although the high amount of coal use by China decreased the planet's temperature, or at least kept it constant, the toxic gases in the atmosphere were rising. We need to take things like this into account. I agree with Paul, we need more facts in order to fully agree on this subject.
Jeffrey Zhou
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
Its appropriate for China to use alot more coal than most other countries. Almost everything in the world is produced in China and to produce things requires factories which need coal to power itself. China also has the largest population. More people means more homes and more homes mean more power and to power these homes requires more coal. There needs to be more facts present on if we really are experiencing global warming or not. People base their beliefs on facts that they have to support them. Whatever happens though, everyone should do their part in helping to save Earth because we all know Earth's resources will not last forever and once it is all gone, there may be nothing left to power our cars,homes,factories,etc.
Guadalupe Alvear
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
Global warming is a very serious matter. It is weird how China is using double the amount of coal and the temperature is going down. We need to take control of our actions and help save our planet.
John Harris
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
The information in this article seems to contradict what believers of global warming have said about the world's temperature rising and the extinction of the human race happening because of it. I feel though that if you believe in global warming and you have power don't just say its happening and not act you must act if you want change you cant think some one else will fix it because every one will have that mentality. In the end we live in a changing solar system on a changing planet in a new stage of its existence and we must act if we want to learn or change anything about what will happen in this new stage.
Sunday Robinson
ReplyDeleteperiod 5
So the usage of coal can actually reflect solar energy back into space, but it’s still harmful. Now even if there is global warming, how do we use better resources than coal? Can we acquire a method to obtaining these resources and spreading it across the planet? I believe we need to help the earth we live on instead of taking from it and not giving back.
Gabriella Rodriguez
ReplyDeleteperiod 4th
I'm surprsied that nothing as changed in the past 10 years. We are hurting the earth in so many ways that we can also hurt ourselves in the procces.Like China's coal use has doubled from 2002-2007. We don't realize what we are doing to the earth. I think we really need to improve on taking better care of the earth.
Cameron Lake
ReplyDelete1st Period
China's coal usage is necessary for their country. China is one of the most highly populated countries in the world. Also, China produces most of the world's toys, gadgets, electronics, and etc, so they need coal to run their factories. Secondly, there aren't really enough facts to determine if we are really experiencing global warming. However, we do need to start conserving the Earth's resources so we can continue to extend the day they will run out. We need to all do our part to save the Earth.
Michelle Dang
ReplyDelete5th Period
A lot of people choose not to believe in global warming (mostly people living up north) mainly because to them, it isn't getting hotter. Of course, here it's perfectly reasonable to believe or disbelieve global warming, but the point is this: If global warming actually exists then how did the temperature go down when China doubled it's coal use? The argument could go either way, but in no way am I blaming China for using so much coal. In the end, however, I believe that we worry a little too much about global warming, because if half of the people don't even believe in it then why emphasize it even more? We should be worrying more about air pollution or overusing water.
Benjamin Kurian
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I think it's astonishing that when China doubled its coal usage, the temperature has gone down. It's stupid why people don't believe global warming isn't real. People should accept the fact that they're damaging the earth and do something before its too late. Everybody should reuse, recycle, and reduce. It's going to help the environment a lot.
Dalton Chamberlin
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I don't think there is enough evidence for us to really believe that the opposite of global warming has been happening in the last 10 years. Especially with China doubling their coal usage. If I was writing this article I'd want a second opinion before publishing this. Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is. Even if this article is true then wouldn't it be a good thing that global warming isn't actually happening? Lets just prioritize what's important to us and focus on actual issues in our nation.
Jenny Simon (:
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
To be honest, I never actually cared about going Green or trying to save energy, but my eyes opened after reading this amazing article. I want to live in a place where there are no shortage of anything and a place where it's safe for me and my family to grow up. In order for that to happen, we must take a stand and say bye-bye to bad habits of throwing trash on the ground and leaving lights on in rooms when it's not used. Like Aad said, we should preserve our one and only home. Not only for me but for the generations to come. It could only happen if everyone supports and encourages each other.
Karen George
ReplyDelete4th period
I agree with almost everyone here that we need to stop global warming. We need to keep our environment clean not only for ourselves but also for our future generation. We need to not only give back to the planet what we can but also make wiser decisions on what we use and do in our lives.
Brian Huynh
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I look at this article in the perspective of China. I believe you must look at both sides of the story. You see, check out your toys. Printed somewhere on there is embedded with the words MADE IN CHINA. With China's production of children's joy and happiness, I am not sure why this global warming problem is all China's fault. It is part of their economy. This is why there are so many factories in China. They need to get steam somewhere, and that is going to come from coal, or other energy sources. I agree more information must be present, like information such as coal use in other places of the world.
Christian Do
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
Global warming has and is still an issue we as a species face. Those who don't believe in it, well they are going to be in for a rude awakening. China uses a very large quantity of coal, but I am not going to argue because a country with a population of over a billion people should have a high demand for energy. But I do have to say, we need to start using clean energy sooner or we will have to pay a very high price.
Kristine Cross
ReplyDelete2nd Period
Once I read this article, it made me realize that global warming is a really big deal and probably has been for years. So it makes me wonder how long scientists have been researching global warming. Believing whether global warming is truly happening or not is our personal choice. There are a lot of scientific theories on the subject of global warming, I think only time will tell which is the real cause of it all.
Jasmine Luke
ReplyDelete1st period
I think we do need more evidence to make this arguement. It would seem that there is global warming due to China's doubling in use of coals and other factors. However, the data about global temperature going down makes this whole arguement confusing. Likewise, I hope this doesn't give people a ticket to pollute and not feel bad about using fossil fuels, because no doubt these factors do harm our earth. And we should feel some guilt.
Audrey Hermes
ReplyDelete2nd Period
There are viable arguments on both sides of the global warming debate. I think choosing not to believe in global warming is ignorant, but more facts need to presented on the topic. I find the relationship between China's increase in coal use and the decrease in temperatures is interesting. I also believe that the issue of Global Warming is worn out, and we need to move on to other more pressing issues.
Tiffany Kwong
ReplyDelete1st Period
Global warming is an environmental issue that should be taken seriously. China should take precaution in the amount of coal that they are using and take into consideration the amount of damage they are doing to the environment. I think that everyone (not just China) should take better care of our planet. Go green! :)
Benjamin Kurian
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
Some people must realize how much global warming is affecting this earth and people are doing a lot to help lower that. It would even lower if China didn't use as much coal. But they had to since their country couln't survive without it. Everybody can help to reduce global warming and save the earth by being green and recycling as much as they can.
Kristine Cross
ReplyDelete2nd Period
Global warming seems to have a big impact on the planet. To say that China is one of the main causes could be true even though the coal produced more carbon dioxide and reflect solar energy it doesn't necessarily mean it good for the planet. But we shouldn't just focus on the coal use in China because there are things that we are doing in the U.S. that are just as harmful to the environment. We should take our focus off the causes of global warming and think more about how we can improve it for the sake of our planet.
Gabrielle Chaney
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I feel that we should have been worry about the way the Earth was changing a long time ago. China isn’t all the blame for out global warming problems. We might not use as much coal, but what about oil refineries, factories, cars, and oil spills that happen all around the United States. The Earth is not warming up all by itself. We can’t go about pointing fingers at each other just changing our lifestyles and finding better solutions instead.
Tojo Malayil
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
People who thinks global warming isn't that serious, they need to think again. If we don't do any thing to protect our planet something bad is going to happen in the future. I agree with Gabrielle that China isn't supposed to get all the blame. People all around world causes global warming to start by using so many cars and factory. I really think, after reading this article, that we should seriously go green.
Joe Thomas
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I think the problem with this global warming stuff is that we are too impatient. The Earth has seen many climate changes, especially the ice age, which happened in the past. Now that something is happening people try to make predictions and stuff to find out how we need to prepare for the future, but really it could just be a natural thing for the earth. The fact that China doubled its coal use in the past few years could be a factor, but It could also just be a dumb theory made by scientist.
Frankie Smith
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I am still perplexed as to how the climate temperatures decreased as the Chinese have been using coal like that, shouldn't the temperature have risen? And what I thought about them ignoring the idea of global warming is somewhat absurd.
Tosin Olabinjo
ReplyDelete4th period
Personally, I don’t think it’s a good idea to base your belief in global warming on only the last ten years of data. This is especially true when it’s been happening for many, many more years than that. I also think it’s interesting that global warming as been lulled a bit in recent years by coal production. But I consider this as causing more harm than good, because it skews our idea of air pollution. If people think pollution isn’t a big deal because the temperature hasn’t changed, then that could lead to them not acting as much on it. I believe it’s important to research new clean energy sources, and I’ve heard of coal as possibly being one. But unless they’re processing it in a different way, I don’t understand how it’s supposed to be considered clean. This is the same coal that caused the Great Smog in London in 1952 which caused many people to die and others to get sick.
Jesna Thomas
ReplyDelete6th period
There is not enough evidence to support this claim. The Earth's climate reacts in different ways,but the fact that China started doubling the coal and somehow the theory that it would cause climate problems if it keeps happening is not looking good right now with nothing to support it. This claim that has been made is just going to cause problems with other countries and the last thing we need is a World War III.
Gerard Barrientos
ReplyDelete4th Period
I myself also think that the cooling of the earth will not last long. It may cool down the earth for a while, but after that time, the earth's temperature will probably skyrocket due to the excessive amounts of greenhouse gases that become trapped in the atmosphere. I really think that it would be a better idea to generally lower the rate of use of fossil fuels. The burning of these forms of energy are dangerous to our planet, and serious consequences will most likely happen to us and the planet in the future.
Laura Luo
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
Even though China is #1 with using coal due to it doubling during 2002-2007, we can't just blame them just because the earth is dramatically experiencing global warming. They're just only a small fraction to the whole world, and we too are. We all need to contribute decreasing how much fossil fuels we use and not sit around complaining who's at fault. We seriously need to take a step of protecting our earth because it's our one and only home. Like what Kaufmann said, they can choose to believe it or not. It’s their decision.
Brooke Tankersley
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I agree with Tojo that global warming is a real world situation that needs to be taken care of. If we don't do anything to prevent global warming now, who knows how bad things could get in the future. I don't believe that China is the major cause of global warming. People all over the world are driving huge trucks and cars and there are many factories all of the world. I wonder how we humans will take care of this issue and how our actions will effect the earth in the future.
Minh Le
ReplyDelete5th Period
Global warming is a given. Though I'm not surprised that the temperature decreased. Global warming doesn't just warm the earth, it creates abnormal climate patterns around the world. I do agree that we need some information in order to prevent this from progressing, but to say that it doesn't exist is ignorant. We can't blame the progression on only China, for it is everyone's planet.
Kimberly Mendez
ReplyDelete4th period
Global warming is occurring whether people acknowledge it or not. It is a very serious matter, and we should do something to stop it. We are only given one planet and we need to take care of it better. The burning of coal in China is just one example of many ways of how we contribute to global warming. We aren’t only harming our planet, Earth, but we are also harming ourselves. We need to take action and do something before its to late.
Amanda Shah :)
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
Global Warming is a important issue that we need to realize. The world is having dramatic changes. One factor of this is China's coal use. Whether we believe it is contributing to global warming or not, people cannot deny that it isn't polluting the air. China needs to realize that doing so can ruin people's health. Furthermore even if Global warming is just a theory, we should still take care of our earth!
Taylor Jordan
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think we need to stop worrying about global warming and all related things. Global warming is probably a natural occurrence, it happened after each ice age, and lots of other times. Even if it is getting uncomfortably hot, its happened before we had fuels and other air pollutants, so it won't stop it if we waste our money, time, and energy trying to be 'green'.
Chris Abraham
ReplyDelete5th
Claiming that global warming as we know it does not exist could be classified as ignorant, but we have to give our opposition a chance. There have been many instances where the things that we were taught at first have been proven wrong. So really, while we should be taking care of our earth…these scientists going against it deserve some more chances to prove their point.
Darryl Mohr
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I also think that it is strange that the temperature continues to go down even though countries like China continue to use more coal. I think that those people who do not believe in global warming need to look again at the facts that are coming out. I will be interested to find out in the near future what global warming does to the world.
Katrina Qin
ReplyDelete2nd period
I read this article, it made me realize that global warming is a really big deal and probably has been for years.Global warming is a very serious problem. It is weird how China is using double the amount of coal and the temperature is going down. We need to take control of our actions and help save our planet. We need to protect our home!!!
Bethany Williams
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
It's crazy to think that the temperatures went down, even when China had doubled it's coal usage. It's a personal thing to believe in global warming or not but why wouldn't you? I mean, if you pay attention to things around you, like gas prices, you'd realize we need to find better ways of doing things. We, as a world, should try to find better ways to decrease the rate of global warming before we cause too much harm.
Tanya Van Zante
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I think we all need to start paying more attention in our personal lives when it comes to making a difference with the environment, like helping with the Global Warming issue. People always say that everyone needs to start taking effect but no one is willing to do so themselves. Even if people don’t believe in Global Warming, the fact that China’s coal use has doubled from 2002-2007 cannot be good for the environment, and we should always be trying to keep our world in best condition, not suddenly trying to fix it when we come across a problem.
Jennie Chen
ReplyDelete1st Period
The problem with China is that they industrialize their land too fast. The more production they use with coal, the more polluted the world will be. I know from self experience that their air is not clean. I walked around their streets staring at their gray sky, knowing this can't be good for them to breathe that in all the time. I really do believe that we should cut down on the use of cars and manufacturing of factories if we really want to help preserve the Earth for the future to be healthier.
Ronald Propper
ReplyDelete5th period
I understand that people choose to not believe in global warming, that’s really up to them, let them believe what they want to believe. However, choosing to not believe in global warming does not excuse them from trying to make our world a much cleaner place. I believe that we are not the main cause for global warming but we do contribute to this change in climate. We as humans have a responsibility to protect the earth we live in.
6 period
ReplyDeleteI know that China is an enormous country and has a great deal of people, but they’ve used the double amount of their coal use in just five years! China is the one of main reasons of global warming. They could delay their use of coal and they would make an immense difference in global warming. Some people don’t even caution that we are in a huge predicament from global warming. They keep using more and more coal, and we don’t even put it attention to them that we are all outing of planet in danger. People need to realize that this is the only planet that we can survive on and we need to help our home in order to survive.
Miffy Ng
ReplyDelete5th period
Global warming is an huge issue in recent decades.It causes rise in temperature, lack of rainfall, and droughts will easily lead to wildfires. I am glad that researches show that burning coal can halt the pace of global warming. Although the result is still arguable, I am still hopeful that scientists will have their researches to finally find out more solutions to solve this problem for all mankind.
Landon Wells
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
Global warming is a serious problem on this planet and with people choosing not to believe in it is wasting time bothering us to prove that it is real. We need to protect our planet before this turns into a much more serious problem by finding an alternative source of energy. Only twenty five percent of us on earth have energy, and we use up almost ninety four percent of earth's total energy. Imagine if we all had energy; our global temperature would sky rocket.
Amie Jean
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
Global warming is happening. Ignorance towards man-made climate change doesn’t help the fact that this is going on. Earth is the only planet we have. We should really take into perspective on how were treating the earth. Everyone all around the world should. There are over 100 countries in the world. Even though they do not have enough evidence yet, if china is causing a “sharp rise” in global warming, other countries should see that something has to be changed. Since we cannot change the world’s opinion right now, .We as teenagers should help reduce other causes of global warming. For example, we should be more energy efficient.
Amber Alex
ReplyDelete5th period
Global warming has impacted our environment so much I can't understand why people won't stop polluting our air and they don't want to make an effort to make our home a better place. I also agree that China should try to decrease the amount of coal that they are using. We need to make a better place not only for ourselves but for our future generation.
Trevor Touchet
ReplyDelete1st Period
It's kind of weird knowing that the same things that are causing global warming are fighting it. But I still think climate is going upwards. I've definitely noticed that the Earth's temperature is changing either way. So, either the snow last year was just a coincidence or the drought over the summer was a coincidence.
Jasmine Adaya
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
Global warming is a serious thing. We need to start taking it seriously. China should lower their coal use. I'm not saying that China is the only one to blame but all countries. We need to lower our energy use. We need to start going green and we can we all need to do our part and enforce it. Before we have to pay for all that we have done to this world.
Lillian Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
It is crazy how China consuming twice as much coal, yet the Earth’s temperature is decreasing. This causes people to believe that global warming does not exist, but I do not blame them. The evidence for global warming is vague, so they need more. However, I do believe in global warming because when I visited Canada, sometimes the temperatures reach 38 degrees Celsius (about 100 degrees Fahrenheit). This is not normal, and ignoring the theory of global warming is ignorant. We need to start living a lifestyle that will benefit the planet instead of harming our planet.
Maddy Pye
ReplyDelete4th Period
I feel that we should have been worrying how our actions affect the earth in a negative way long before now. I believe that not just China, but all countries should cut down on coal use even though I know it is hard. I think that even though some have already been created more alternate resources should be invented so that we can give more back to the environment instead of taking from it all the time. With the many opinions on global warming no matter what you think I feel everyone should try to help the world’s environment, not hurt it.
Patrick Pecson
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I think what was happening in China with the over production use of coal was bad but you shouldn't just blame one country. I think we should all take blame for this and maybe find a solution to this like find alternate uses to power up things and go green like recycle. It will really help out alot in the future for global warming.
Justin Hoang
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
Global warming is a big issue in our environment. I agree with mostly everyone else that there should be more facts on this argument. Global warming doesn't happen by itself, it’s our choices that cause it to happen. So considering that, we should take matters in our own hands by keeping earth clean as possible and making wiser choices.
Cailin O'Connell
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
I think the carbon dioxide masking is extremely interesting, but at the same time contributes to an already confusing topic. It seems to be almost a battle of "he-said, she-said" in the sense that there is not solid evidence to prove or disprove either side. That being said, personally I think that there is a sort of natural rise and fall of temperature of the the earth that existed before mankind. Either way, the amount of fossil fuels we are burning is not good for the environment, and may be a part of why we are experiencing such strange climate patterns.
Amy Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
This does not add up. If coal is being used twice as much in China, then why the Earth’s temperature is decreasing. This affects most people that global warming is not happening to Earth, and I may think the same. The evidence for global warming is not very accurate to me. In my opinion global warming does exist. Temperatures are going higher and higher like when I visited Las Vegas. I remember it was just 38 degrees Celsius (100 degrees Fahrenheit) and after 5 years, I visited Las Vegas again it was about 46 degrees Celsius (115 degrees Fahrenheit). That was ridiculous to me. It was not normal for temperatures to change that much in 5 years, and not believing the theory of global warming is ignorant. We need to stop harming Earth and start benefit the planet.
Lillian Wang
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
Personally, I am unsure as to my standpoint on the issue of global warming. When I was younger, I heard a lot of it, and I did believe it; however, now I am just hearing of how global warming may really not be happening. Although I am uncertain about how real global warming may be, I do know and believe that burning so much coal and other things like it is harming the environment at a rapid pace. This article just shows the need for people to cut down on consumption and become more eco-friendly.
Lara Moaty
ReplyDelete1st Period
Global warming is real and we need to accept that. It really sad how some people don't believe in it. It can make the economy worse and harm earth. We should save earth from this. China has made things worse because they burn a lot of coal. They need to be aware of whats happening and how it can affect everyone and everything.