Raw Milk Becomes Contentious Printable Version of Article
The New York Times
March 24, 2010
Raw Milk Becomes Contentious
By RICHARD BERNSTEIN
NEW YORK — My neighborhood weekly newspaper, The Brooklyn Paper, ran a front-page story this week about a local mother who belongs to a group so secretive that, as the article put it, “she can’t even reveal its name.”
The accompanying picture showed the woman, Hannah Springer, holding a toddler in one arm and a glass of milk in the other. She doesn’t look like a drug dealer or a counterfeit DVD merchant, and indeed she isn’t. Still, the secret organization of which she is an enthusiastic member buys and distributes a product banned for retail sale in New York — raw milk, unprocessed and unpasteurized.
The article explained that when she was expecting her now 18-month-old boy, Ms. Springer learned that she had a chronic thyroid disorder, and when she started drinking raw milk, purchased in Pennsylvania, smuggled across the border and sold at clandestine points in Brooklyn, she was cured.
“I no longer have to take thyroid meds, which every doctor said I would be on for the rest of my life,” she told The Brooklyn Paper. She said that her son drinks two cups of raw milk a day and is healthier as a result.
“Basically, we spend a little more money on food,” she said, because raw milk is more expensive than pasteurized supermarket milk, “so we don’t have to pay the doctor.”
“Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are,” the French culinary philosopher Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin said, and today, what you eat seems as much a person’s more general state of mind as ever. The food movements picking up steam in America — organic, buy local, vegan, vegetarian, and the like — signal something a good deal bigger than just dietary preference.
And certainly that seems to be the case with raw milk, which is banned in about half the American states and whose purchase and consumption therefore involve a minor — though in fact not exceedingly risky — degree of civil disobedience.
But the element of rebellion against authority is more conspicuous when it comes to raw milk, because if, like Ms. Springer, you feed it to your toddler, you are flouting the conviction of most of the national institutions that monitor food safety and public health in the United States, including the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control, the American Medical Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics. All of these agencies and organizations strongly advise against drinking raw milk on the grounds that it could harbor harmful pathogens — which is why milk is pasteurized in the first place.
“Raw milk is dangerous,” John Sheehan, the director of the F.D.A.’s Division of Plant and Food Safety, said in a telephone interview. “Avoid it all costs. Do not give it to your children.”
Responding to the many claims made for raw milk by what have come to be called the raw milkies — among them, that it cures thyroid deficiency, asthma, allergies, even cancer — Mr. Sheehan said: “That’s complete nonsense. We’ve reviewed just about everything that the raw milk advocates say, and we’ve found no support for it whatsoever. There are no signs that it is curative of any disease.”
And yet, the signs are that the raw milk movement is becoming something of a cult, growing nationwide, with several organizations and foundations lobbying for it and proclaiming its near miraculous merits. Next month the second annual International Raw Milk Symposium will be held in Madison, Wisconsin. Assuming that the urban guerrilla warfare taking place around raw milk in Brooklyn is not unique, more and more people must be drinking it, even in the states where it’s banned.
So what’s going on?
For one thing, a very American battle seems to be taking place, pitting disgruntled or suspicious citizens against what they see as an unreasonable, greedy, distant or simply clueless establishment. The raw milkies are a bit like the Tea Party movement in this sense — though they’re likely to be on opposite ends of the spectrum in most regards. They represent a sort of gastronomic populism that wants to inform you of what agribusiness and the retail supermarket chains allegedly don’t want you to know.
“You’ve probably been told all your life that pasteurization makes raw milk ‘safe,”’ reads one typical online comment, this one on a Web site called the Douglas Report. “But here’s the real truth — pasteurized milk is more dangerous than raw milk ever will be.”
Perhaps the leading organization on the raw milk front is the Weston A. Price Foundation, which, according to its statement of purpose, seeks to “restore nutrient-dense foods to the human diet” (the group is pro-organic and in favor of buying local, but fiercely anti-vegetarian) and it provides a seemingly very scientific PowerPoint presentation on the advantages of raw milk.
Raw milk, the presentation contends, contains powerful anti-pathogens that are destroyed in pasteurization, along with a lot of the milk’s nutritional value.
That’s exactly the kind of statement that raises the hackles of people like Mr. Sheehan, who say there is no science to justify it — neither the claim about these natural anti-pathogenic properties, nor the alleged harm of pasteurization. Still, there’s another argument on the product’s behalf being made from the standpoint of legal rights — namely that government has no business telling people what they can and cannot drink.
“All it is is unprocessed milk,” said David E. Gumpert, a former reporter for The Wall Street Journal and author of a new book, “The Raw Milk Revolution: Behind America’s Emerging Battle Over Food Rights,” which has made him something of a regular on the raw milkie circuit.
“I respect people’s rights to have access to that food, and I have trouble with the public health people who want to deny it,” he continued in a telephone interview.
Mr. Gumpert allows that raw milk is probably more hazardous than pasteurized milk, but, he says, there haven’t been any reported deaths from it in the past quarter century (there have been a few deaths from pasteurized milk, but it’s consumed in vastly greater quantities), which makes it seem something less than an imminent health threat.
“Is this a public health crisis?” he asks rhetorically. “My feeling is that, no, it isn’t, so the medical community gets hysterical about it, and part of the reason they’re hysterical is that there’s a growing demand for raw milk.”
Monday, April 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Adam Pye
ReplyDelete5th Period
The one thing I want to know is why it's illegal to drink raw milk. Just alert people to the dangers and leave it at that. There wouldn't be any need for the raw milk black market if the people who made that law weren't freaks. I personally have no problem with raw milk and if it cures disease great if it's just a freak cult I couldn't care less. This is a weird situation, and I don't see what the problem is, if they want to drink it just let them if they get sick they'll stop if they don't okay.
Eriel Yeldell 6th
ReplyDeleteI think that it is interesting that there are basically cults fighting for the government to approve unpasterized milk, Milk.These people are taking health risks because of the harmful pathogens in raw milk but they say it cures things like cancer and asthma, which then it could be very helpful and beneficial. Hopefully this awkward "conflict" gets resolved and hopefully there's no kind of outbreak for those who drink the raw milk.
Jackie Miller 6
ReplyDeleteI've noticed exceeding amounts of once "bad" food products become healthy. It is no surprise to me that raw milk might be healthier than pasturized. As our technology increases, our knowledge of whether food products are healthy or not expands. Tobacco is an example. It was once posted as no, back in the 1600-late 1800s. But as technology increased, they realized that tobacco, when inhaled, is very bad for one's health. This is also true with plastic containers, microwaves, the sun's rays, etc. The list will continue to grow as the human race grows. As for me, I don't think I'll be interested in raw milk. I'm aware that pathogens are present in such milks, and I would rather be safe and not as healthy, than be put in the harm of milk's way, with the chance of it benefitting my health.
These people are risking their own life when drinking raw milk. Raw milk is dangerous, that is why it is banned in half of the states. Sometimes when you drink raw milk nothing happens to you, and sometimes you get real sick. So when drinking raw milk you got a chance of being really sick. Raw milk is milk straight from the cow into a bottom and it just cools down and people drink it. That’s why it’s dangerous because cows eat grass, grain and lots of other stuff. Then the stuff that the cows eat have bacteria which you drink. This is unlike milk that has been pasteurized where most of the bacteria have been killed.
ReplyDeleteZak Shagroni period 4
Jibin Kuzhippil - 6th period
ReplyDeleteThis is an extremely weird scenario which I have never heard of or given thought to. I didn't even know that there was a law against raw milk. And if there was why is it illegal? I have to agree with adam in that they should just put a warning on the milk when they sell it. Raw milk is definitely not worth getting into a fight over and the thought of it is just plain funny if you ask me.
On the other hand if you look at the bigger picture you will see that people aren't just fighting raw milk, but the restriction on certain foods. i do not think the government should ban a type of food but if they think it's dangerous then they should put a warning on it. either way this whole situation is not worth fighting over
I never would have thought that raw milk is illegal to drink. Why on Earth is it so dangerous that it is illegal? If it cures diseases as well then that is cool. It is the same as marijuana. People use the drug illegally. The thing is that some doctors are able to prescribe marijuana to some patients. Why not have the ability to prescribe raw milk to patients? This whole thing about raw milk really doesn't make sense to me.
ReplyDeleteTyler Caldwell - 6th period
ReplyDeleteI'm with Josh. Who would have thought that it is considered illegal to consume raw milk? And besides it being illegal, who would have thought that people would willingly switch to drinking raw milk? However, if you have the thyroid disability like the lady in the article had then I could see why you would choose raw over pasteurized. If raw milk is allowing people to stop taking life long medications then by all means start prescribing it to patients suffering of diseases that apply.
Jeralyn Laran
ReplyDelete4th period
I think that drinking raw milk is someone's choice. You can tell that it is hazardous, but you can't tell them what to do. I want to know why raw milk is more hazardouse than pastorlized milk. Raw milk has more anti-pathogens that are destroyed in pastorilization. That is probably a reason to drink raw milk, but everyone has their own opinion. I found that the raw milk cured the women's thyroid disease amazing. It makes you wonder of what nature has to hold to help make you better. I also think that the government should let the people decide on their own risks to drink raw milk or not. It gives people an option, instead of having to be ordered around. The fact that raw milk is illegal in some states are weird because i don't understand how it is more dangerous than pastorilized milk.
Josilyn Thomas
ReplyDeletePeriod:6th period
I have seen a lot of food turn from bad products to good products. So it doesn’t really thrill me to find out that raw milk is healthier than pasteurized. I think it is crazy to have cults arguing for the government to approve unpasteurized milk; these people are taking major risks because the milk can have harmful pathogens in it which can lead to many kinds of diseases or at the same time cure diseases. I think it is really sad that people are willing to drink this unpasteurized milk and actually risk their life, that’s probably why it’s banned from half of the United States.
Alexandria Ward 6th
ReplyDeleteThis article is a bit on the weird side because they author and others are right. We don't know too much about raw milk. No one should ever dimiss or shun something it till there is profound evidence against it, not a few facts. I can't be pro or con because I have never tried the stuff or looked at some of its disadvantages until now. In the future this maybe a more serious problem depending on different cows and different evironmental cues that may cause the pathogens in some milk to react. But its just like smokeing and other things, if you want to be at risk for what your doing and possibly suffer the consiquences then that's on you. The goverment isn't to worried if you cause yourself to die if you allowed it to happen.
Milan Doshi-5th
ReplyDeleteThe duel between raw milk and pasteurized milk is nowhere close to over. The article makes a point to show both sides of the argument of why people and doctors want people to drink pasteurized milk and why people and doctors want people to drink raw milk. We hear about these stories every day. Different remedies that are working on certain people to cure diseases that are hard to cure. Some people tend to believe them, some people tend to pass it on as nonsense. The views are varied.
Doctors and many different food and nutrition associations around the United States have said that it is unsafe to drink pasteurized milk because the reason it is pasteurized is because raw milk is dangerous. At the same time the argument can be made that these associations are trying to protect the milk companies that are selling milk in local communities all around the United States, even though this may not be true, the argument still exists. At the same time the argument was also made that the raw milk was also saving lives around the country and curing certain diseases that were difficult to cure without the raw milk’s help.
The raw milk is being smuggled into states where raw milk is prohibited and I think that people should not be prohibited from drinking or eating anything that has not been proven to harm them because as the article says, there have been no reports of the raw milk causing harm or death however at the same time, there have been reports of people dying from pasteurized milk. If there are precautions that need to be taken then the institutions that are in charge of informing people of these need to let them know and if they still want to drink raw milk then it is up to them and nobody should be able to stop them, unless harmful.
The debate over this is not yet over and we will hear more about this is in the months to come and we will continue to see the varied viewpoints of people and new information that comes out for both sides. Doctors need to do a more thorough investigation and an open investigation to show the people what the truth is and then they need to do experiments with the raw milk and show the people exactly what they have found. This is something very similar to this is the Acai Berry and how it has had a breakthrough in people and their health. Who knows, this may be the next best thing…
Joel Jacob
ReplyDelete6th period
This article revels a fight that is occurring between true milk and pasteurized milk, but it also shows the want of the people in America to be able to do whatever they want and whenever they want. Some believe that making real milk illegal is restricting their rights and freedoms that were guaranteed by the constitution. For over hundreds of years people have been drinking real milk and nothing has happened. However, the doctors do not recommend drinking it at all. It is not the milk that is dangerous but the conditions that the cows live in cause disease to spread quickly. The areas where they raise cows are also very dirty and unhygienic. They pasteurize milk in order to eliminate the disease that is caused there. I believe this is a very trivial matter, true organic milk is always better but to mass-produce true organic milk will destroy the value it has. All this is common knowledge, this is one way that people are trying to speak against the overall restrictions that the government has put on trivial matters such as these. This is not the real matter , rather this matter is used to address a much larger issue that seems to be more prevalent as time goes on .
Anissia W.
ReplyDeleteDrinking unpasteurized milk can “help” cure many horrible diseases but if it can cause many diseases why not just drink regular milk. People who believe drinking raw milk is fine but to give it to your infants is wrong because its not one hundred percent safe. Its amazing how this has become a cult type situation. Who would you believe a doctor or FDA worker or people who illegally buy milk? I would rather stay on the safe side and drink normal milk but every one is entitled to their own opinion. I, personally disagree because its dangerous and illegal and in my opinion not worth the trouble.
Kaylon Carroll 6th
ReplyDeleteI think if it helps why is it illegal. Thats the craziest thing ever. Obama just signed something about our health but New York has banned something that cost less than surgery and cures many dieases. I think the New York government system should re-think this ban. Anissia, if it helps its not worth the trouble but its worth your life.
Sruthi Jayadevan
ReplyDelete6th period
As we’ve seen already in the organic food movement, consumers pay a premium for these products. And what started as small, independent organic growers and producers has blossomed into a massive “big-business” commercial enterprise. If there’s a dollar to be made, big business will come knocking. The same will happen with raw milk, if the regulatory and liability issues can be overcome.
Not being a consumer of raw milk I can not speak personally to the benefits or dangers associated with it nor will I be able to in the near future, but I would like what I eat to be my choice not the government’s. The larger question is why governments are choosing to go after these small milk producers.
The government’s reasoning is that raw milk is a “health hazard”, even though the evidence seems to suggest otherwise. My guess is that the real answer has more to do with the huge industrial dairy industry feeling threatened by the growing tide of consumer sentiment toward wholesome, real, local and sustainable food.
Governments have been recommending to us what we should eat for over 60 years, in an attempt to make us healthier (prevent heart disease, improve cholesterol, assist in weight control, prevent diabetes) and it does not appear to me that their recommendations are working. (Of course they, government officials, will blame the consumer – we’re just too stupid to make proper choices, so we need more government intervention.)
Chris pena 4th period- I think this article was very interesting, if raw milk can cure all the things they claim it can, then it would be great. It's amazing that people actualy came to this conclusion that raw milk cam benefit health, than hurt it, I sure would have not tried raw milk that's gross, but if it can cure many things than I'll probaly be drinking it, but until it's officialy proven that it can help us I am not getting close to it, and I can also see why doctors tell us not to take it because if it can help us more than prescription drugs a lot of doctors would be out of bussines.
ReplyDeleteJonathan Cheung 4th Period
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a dumb issue to fight over because this would be basically printing an article arguing about whether consumers should buy and eat organic food. Unpasteurized milk is essentially the same thing as organic food. Organic food can be generally defined as something grown without additives and is sold without any chemicals to boost longevity, etc. Unpasteurized milk fits into this category. Personally, I do not believe in unpasteurized milk curing any diseases and that the incident in the article was coincidental and I believe that if “it cures thyroid deficiency, asthma, allergies, even cancer”, researchers in that field would have found out about it. Other than the FDA, I am happy to see that the government has not involved themselves in this problem, as they have bigger things to worry about. I think this issue should stay between citizens and other companies as this is a clear example of freedom of speech. Yet I doubt that unpasteurized milk can pose a major threat to one as unpasteurized milk has been consumed by people all over the world since the existence of cows and there has been no major death toll caused by the consumption of unpasteurized milk. In the end, even with all the evidence and facts in the world, I believe that this issue will boil down to strictly opinion as there will never be a law which will force people to eat or drink certain kinds of foods.
Aaron Reed 4th period
ReplyDeleteI think that the government is over reacting to this situation.Its just milk, i mean you act like their doing drugs or something.People should be able to choose what they want to eat or drink, its just food.Their not passing a law or bill.
Anissia W.
ReplyDeleteWell yes I think I may agree with Aaron it is just milk, but replying to Kaylon Carroll dont you think this milk is illegal for a reason?
Jared Cooper_6th period
ReplyDeleteI think they are takin this way to far. Its raw milk, it shouldnt be illegal. Just warn the people the dangers of drinkin it and if they chose to take the risk of drinkin the milk then that's thier choice. To form a secert organazation to smuggle in milk is crazy. Its just milk. They're are actin like they are trying to smuggle in drugs or something. They need to just calm down, warn the people of the dangers, and leave it alone.
Carlos Betancourt Period 4
ReplyDeleteOne should be allowed to do whatever they please in this world. As long as it doesn’t affect anybody or our environment why does it matter? This woman is being criticized quite harshly for doing something not even all that serious. We all have our own little beliefs in which we rely on for when we need them and the spoiled milk just happens to be one of hers. It’s understandable how one may be concerned due to the milk being fed to an infant but as it is stated in the article there have not been any cases in the past years regarding any serious illnesses or diseases being caused over this. One must also take into consideration that it is her child and no matter what everyone says she will continue to do what she pleases. Many people don’t know how to mind their own business and make a big deal over nothing. Clearly it may not seem entirely correct what this woman is doing but surely there is a logical explanation regarding all of this. Which as stated is to help cure chronic thyroid disorder and by feeding it to her child it simply allows it to prevent it. Obviously, this woman knows what she is doing and if maybe ideas like this were not criticized we would have a healthier stronger world.
JT Jakubik
ReplyDelete5th Period
Wow. That is disgusting! Eww, yuck! Drinking raw milk? I don't know any people who would prefer raw over good, but I guess some people in the world are just too worried about their health. But weather it's raw, or good it should be legal. I don't see what's so bad about drinking milk that went bad, or wasn't pastorlized. Now if they were selling raw milk it would be a completely different story. But with all the medications, and pills people take now a days, I don't see the "unhealthy" side of drinking good milk.
Stephen Harris 5TH PERIOD WERE THE BEST
ReplyDeleteThe issue for unpasteurized milk to be illegal is just crazy, it should be the people's choice to buy milk that could possibly be dangerous for them to consume. The label should say "yes I was not pasteurized," or something related to that it shouldn't be illegal it should just have a warning that can be seen clearly. The fact people are smuggling in milk is just insane. Now milk and Mary Jane are on the same page, apparently.
tommy batchelor-6th period
ReplyDeleteI agree with JT it sounds very distugusting drinking raw milk. I don't see why anyone would want to but i guess it some ones descion to drink it, and not for it to be illegal. I also agree wit Stephen thats soo stupid now people will start smuggling it probably because its soo stupid.
Iram Nandolia, Period 4
ReplyDeleteWow i would have never thought drinking raw milk wouuld be illegal! My relatives who live in India drink raw milk, and DO seem healthier then us. I dont often hear of people getting sick over there. So if families here would rather prefer raw milk then processed and pasteurized they should be allowed to. So indeed this fight stands for a bigger meaning, the fight for americans to do as they please.
We as americans should stand for our rights.
Eric Li-6th period
ReplyDeleteI don't see the reason for freaking out. Really. IF there were deaths for pasteurized milk and raw milk helped cure thyroids why are the health officials freaking out. They should be more like hey this is a good discovery. Let's look into it and see what else it can do. It's just so stupid to ban milk. I mean. come on. do you health officials really have nothing better to do?! Jeez. Here is this woman being criticized for feeding her child and believing in the "curing" properties of raw milk. If that's what she believes then let her believe it. The choice should be given then if the want to the can danger signs. Even the article says though “But here’s the real truth — pasteurized milk is more dangerous than raw milk ever will be.” so I don't really see the point in banning raw milk.
Amber Washington
ReplyDelete6th period
I agree with Josh Ortiz and Aaron Reed. The government is treating the drinking of rwa milk as if people are doing drugs, however drugs hurt your health and there is no aspect of them that is good. According to this article, the raw milk cured a woman of her thyroid problem, and keeps her 18- month old son healthy and saves her visits to the doctors office.
The government is overreacting because people should have the right to decide if they would rather drink pastuerized milk, or not. However they should not make raw milk available at every grocery store or gas station. It should be harder to get then 'regular' milk, but drinking it should not be illegal.
I also wonder how the bacteria in the raw milk does not harm the person that drinks it.
Paula Salmon-6th Period
ReplyDeleteRaw milk can be bad for people’s health because without the pasteurization there could be harmful pathogens in the milk that could make people sick. Many health organizations have stated that it is best not to drink raw milk and they have studies that prove their statement. The article states that one woman had a chronic thyroid disorder and she believes that because she is drinking raw milk that the chronic thyroid disorder has been cured, but my question is where is the scientific proof? This article gives the opposing opinions about whether raw milk is okay to drink, but where is the evidence that backs up either of these oppositions? I think that having laws against buying raw milk is a little extreme but if people that drink raw milk want to make it legal then they cannot blame or try to sue the government for not taking care of them when they get sick from it. It was their choice to drink the raw milk.
Preston Graham 6th
ReplyDeleteI agree with tommy and jt raw milk sonuds nasty.Stuff like that should be illegal.Just know you'll never catch me drinking that in a millon years
Grace Amaku-4th Period
ReplyDeleteOf course the dairy industry sees raw milk as a threat and that is why this is being fought so hard, why they are pulling out all the stops to get raw milk banned and impossible to get.
It’s about the money!
Regular milk is selling for around $2 a gallon, give or take a few cents.
Raw milk is selling on average around $6 a gallon, in many places for up to $12 a gallon. I have room for
Losing $8 a sale can be.
the regular dairy stands to loss millions daily in sales alone.
Even they know that they can’t sustain a business taking those kinds of losses!
They know, if nothing else, that people will flock to raw milk, especially when it’s discovered that raw milk heals as well as provides immunity to so many other diseases.
As we’ve seen already in the organic food movement, consumers pay a premium for these products. And what started as small, independent organic growers and producers has blossomed into a massive “big-business” commercial enterprise. If there’s a dollar to be made, big business will come knocking. The same will happen with raw milk, if the regulatory and liability issues can be overcome.
Anders Beato-6th Period
ReplyDeleteI think that the idea of raw milk being illegal is pretty stupid. If people want to drink it and think it has some special powers then I say let them have there cake and eat it to, why stop them? Now this whole cult thing that really made me laugh come one there may be a club but no way is there a cults that is pretty stupid to think that. What would they be doing sacrificing cows? Also the idea that the raw milk will cure thing I think it may be true and may not o mean native americans for example used all kinda herbal thing to cure such things so whos' to say raw milk doesn't do that for some people with all the odd things that happen to day isn't it possible that it may be true?
Josh McKay 5th Period
ReplyDeleteI feel that the people should be able to drink this "raw milk" since they should be smart enough to decide what they should and should not eat. Even though doctors say raw milk doesn't have a curing function and people say it helps them feel better, it could be one of those mind things where people think that something is helping them, so their body thinks it is too. So it is very possible that people aren't really being cured from their various illnesses. I find it funny that people have to deal this milk like you would a drug. You never really would think about going into a dark back alley in Brooklyn just to buy some milk from some creepy guy.
Trey Moore
ReplyDeleteI think that if drinking unpasterize milk helps cure you over your sickness than thats great. I feel it is also kind of dangerous because it could get somebody sick. thats why that dont sell it in in the super markets and other stores.
Tatiana R 4th
ReplyDeleteMany people, such as this lady, believe in herbal remedies versus western medicine, as much of the US follows. But if this works for her... so be it! Why are you going to stop someone from curing themselves? I don't understand why it is illegal. If this unpasturized and unprocessed milk harms the health of people shouldn't it be their fault for using it?
Kevin Sabouni- 4th Period
ReplyDeleteThe whole thing with the raw milk movement is a complete waste of time. People are making such a big deal out of something so simple and easy to solve. If there is no problem or hazards to drinking raw milk, then let whoever wants to drink it, drink it. I myself think that natural things are better for you than processed foods. The problem is that the government is restricting the people to eat and drink what they wish to. If they want it, let them have it. All the results of their consumption of raw milk be of their responsibility.
Delma Mathew
ReplyDelete6th period
I think it shouldn't be illegal because it cures sickness. What is the whole point of making something that helps you illegal? "Responding to the many claims made for raw milk by what have come to be called the raw milkies — among them, that it cures thyroid deficiency,"(Bernstein). This sentece proves the importance of the raw milk. I think it shouldn't be illegal.
Sean Dotson 6th period
ReplyDeleteI think that people who drink unpasteurized milk are uneducated because if many scientists have concluded that raw milk doesnt have the health benefits that these people are saying they do then maybe it was just a fluke
Miranda Molina, Period 4
ReplyDeleteI myself don't really like milk in the first place. The only way I can drink it is if it is with cereal or cookies. I believe that if someone wants to drink any type of milk whether it be processed or unprocessed 1% or 2%, it is their decision. I do see the con's of the situation, and there is some reason for there to be a law against it. But other than what hasbeen presented about possible health problems with raw milk drinkers, I believe that it is all up to the consumer.
Meghan Patterson 5th
ReplyDeleteI don't really understand why raw milk is illegal. I think as long as people are aware of the consequences then they should be able to choose for themselves wether to drink it or not. I don't see how it's dangerous. The people hundreds of years ago drank raw milk and they did fine. The way I see it adding all the stuff that isn't natural seems harmful. With all the hormones and what not. I'm not sure if I'm right or not but I think that drinking raw milk should be a choice to the people and that they should be warned of the pros and cons of drinking it.
The debate between pasteurized milk and raw milk is comical in that neither side offers solid evidence of why their kind is better. Unlike drugs, milk is not addictive or, to the vast population, harmful. As stated in the article, death may be caused from either kind of milk, and so therefore, they should be equally dangerous. Although the worries of transmission of pathogens is not entirely unwarranted, it should not be too overly concerning either. The majority of the US will still prefer pasteurized milk.
ReplyDeleteUnless the woman in the article was lying about the "miraculous" effects of raw milk, US centers and departments should lift the ban of selling raw milk. I believe that raw milk might very well cure many illnesses and Medical Centers also know that. However, if the US acknowledges that, there will be a frenzy of buying raw milk in hopes of allowing individuals to become theoretically "healthier". When in fact pasteurized milk will be more suitable for the major part of the population, people will have the misconception that raw milk beats pasteurized in all aspects. In essence, the government does not want to create and blindly assist that misconception. I, however, believe that if raw milk truly has healing properties, it should be available as a prescription product. That way, everyone will be happy!
Rachel Choate 6th period
ReplyDeleteThis is the most unnecessary argument I've heard in my life. If it's illegal, don't buy it. Move to a legal state! Then you can drink it at your own risk. But if it's illegal, just don't buy it! There is a reason they make it illegal, and they've already proven that pathogens aren't in most pasteurized milk. Raw milk might not harm your child who probably developed antibodies to these pathogens early on, but it might kill your next door neighbor with all those pathogens breeding in raw milk. I say if you really want to drink it, and think it's the magical cure, then drink it legally, and protest it with full knowledge of both sides. They haven't even found any real benefits to raw milk yet! If they had, they would have told us a long time ago. Besides, drinking two cups of milk daily will make anyone healthier, whether it's pasteurized or not. The government wouldn't make a law over something so silly as milk if it didn't have safe reason to, so I prefer to drink pasteurized milk unless they find real, satisfactory evidence that shows raw milk is better.
Seena Keerikattu
ReplyDeletePeriod 5 :)
The fact that this raw milk is illegal makes me want to believe that they are taking this matter a little out of proportion and overreacting. I don't quite understand why they would have to make it illegal. People should have the right to do what they want to do, even if that consists of drinking this kind of milk. They should be able to make decisions for themselves. If someone uses it, they should be aware of the consequences and how it will harm their health. Once they are aware, they should be able to decide. It should not come to a point where they must illegalize it. People should be informed enough to where it is in their instinct to know whether to eat something or not.
Jacob Fisher
ReplyDelete6th Period
I found this article very interesting this week. I wonder why exactly raw milk is banned in half of US states. Just because something is bad for you doesn’t mean it should be banned. Everyone knows cigarettes are bad for you and can lead to many deadly cancers, yet people over 18 can freely buy it. I think a lot of people believe that not being allowed to drink raw milk is like the government regulating what they can't drink. When we have dangerous substances like tobacco and alcohol, it makes you wonder why raw milk has been specifically banned throughout a large part of the US. I personally believe that organizations like the Food and Drug administration should tell you the risk of drinking the milk, but people should have the choice to drink it or not. If these raw milk advocates know the facts about raw milk, then they can be held responsible if their children get sick from drinking the milk. I would say there should be an age limit because a child might get sick because of something they didn't even know was bad for them. A person should drink raw milk when they are at the age when they can choose raw milk for themselves. In conclusion I believe the raw milk issue is more about people feeling that they shouldn't be told what they can and what they can't drink.
I think people should be free to take potentially risky behaviors, including drinking raw milk. However, I'm skeptical of any claim that milk is all that healthy - the human genome hasn't even fully adapted to milk consumption past infancy. Much of the world is lactose intolerant. So milk isn't the best thing for the average person's health. However, as I mentioned, people are free to do as they please as far as I'm concerned - it isn't the place of the state to regulate health.
ReplyDeleteSidney Okon
ReplyDelete5th Period
I believe that the consumption of raw milk should be a choice, left for individuals to make. Many believe that taking in raw milk is very dangerous, although some people, such as Hannah Springer, believe that it's very beneficial and that it can cure disease. I believe that it should be left up to individuals whether or not to buy raw milk, based on their knowledge of it being a hazardous drink or if they believe that it can help them. Also, to be honest, I believe if the raw milk ends up making them sick in any way, it's their fault for making the decision to drink it despite knowing all of the possible risks and consequences.
Trevor Mitchell
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I don't know why people feed their kids cow (or goat, or horse, or even camel)milk at all. It's produced by one species for other members of their species, so I don't drink that much milk anyway.
However, I think that the option should always be readily available as long as there is a demand for it, because I think that as long as someone is not causing harm to others or intentional harm to themselves, they should be allowed to partake in whatever activities they please, even if it's an inherently dangerous activity because what they choose to do with themselves is their own business.
I also feel that the milkies' claims of raw milk having healing powers is completely false, particularly curing cancer which is a genetic issue anyway. I have read over the scientific evidence for these claims, and determined that there is none. Helping to open that wound is that there is thoroughly tested and scrutinized evidence against said claims, so one can reasonably assume through Physical Evidence And Reasoned Logic (PEARL) that at the most raw milk helps eliminate the symptoms of non-terminal diseases through a Placebo Effect, which, through truly believing that Raw Milk will cure your disease, your unconscious mind will cause the Immune System to create a better short-term defense against the threat, eliminating the lesser symptoms of a disease. This is far from curing, however. This is like Faith Healing (which SHOULD be outlawed, because it will inadvertently cause harm to the "healed"), which tricks your body into thinking that the threat is gone, allowing the disease to reproduce and kill you.
Maybe Raw Milk should be banned. But I don't think that's right. I think that people should be educated on the dangers of drinking said milk (higher rate of food poisoning, infection, etc.), and then be able to make their own choice based on the evidence.
So in conclusion, actions that will inadvertently cause serious harm should be banned, while the danger of activities that carry an inherent risk of injury or death (like smoking) should be properly stressed to the public.
May L.
ReplyDelete4th Period
If people have the right to eat raw seafood, steak, or egg, then raw milk should also be allow as well. I don’t think it is right for them to stop people from drinking something that have no scientific proof that doing so is dangerous. It just doesn’t make sense to me that people are allow selling guns but not raw milk.
Edward Qin 5th
ReplyDeleteI think this is one of those issues where there is no good point of reference to ban it on. It shows how much or how less control is given on a substance issue. For one thing, many foods that are processed differently are sold without concern even if the nutrition and the whole food structure changes. For example, raw fish sashimi may present pathogenic threats and may cause diarrhea or other food-born illness, but it is a choice whether people decide to eat it raw, or cooked.
So even if the whole "raw milk is bad for you" v.s "raw milk is good for you" is debatable, I think they should let the people decide what they choose to eat.
Jonathan P.
ReplyDelete6th Period
This article is a little weird because raw milk, as I've been told all my life, is bad for you. When I read that an 18 month year old was very healthy drinking this I was surprised. I was also surpirsed that drinking raw milk is illegal, which is in my opinion, dumb. If werid people want to drink other milk then it's there own choice. But I'm not saying that anyone should drink it.
Beth Sutton
ReplyDelete5th Period
I agree with both sides of the argument. The government should not have to power to limit what one eats just for heath reasons. If one is careful, then raw milk would have little negative affects on their health. But this isn't always the case. Realistically, the average person is not fully aware of the dangers of raw milk and other banned foods. Furthermore, they can be easily pursued by the benefits of drinking raw milk, which could be purely false. It's just advertising. So the government, by banning these goods, are looking out for the well being of all people, who cannot be trusted to make the right decision.
Mikayla Winland
ReplyDelete5th Period
I don't necessarily have to worry about this because I'm not a big fan of milk. I can see how processed milk can be worse than raw milk. The new technology that we are using today can effect this. The technology can be helpful so that not as many people get sick. However, chemicals could be soaked into the milk from the different material the technology is made of. I agree with Seena in that I don't know why people are making it a big deal to make raw milk illegal.
Brittany Kuusisto
ReplyDelete6th Period
I believe that people should be able to drink whatever they please. Hey, it's a free country isn't it? Also if people know the risks and they still decide to drink it, it becomes their problem. These people are fully aware of the decision that they're making and if they believe it's the right decision, who are we to tell them differently? Honestly its their lives not ours, they can do what they so desire to do. If the want to drink raw milk they should be able to, it's their problem if they get sick. But giving it to babies or children is a totally different story. They can't speak for themselves. If the parents want to hurt themselves so be it, but don't harm the children.
Brittany Bernard- 5th period
ReplyDeleteI think its ridiculous to make a food or drink product illegal. Raw milk should be legal and used by peoples choice. If they want to risk it they can. Its their own choice. If people believe this product is working for them then i think they should use it all they want. If its curing some women's sickness, then she should continue to do what she thinks is best.
Hanna Moore- Period 6
ReplyDeleteAlright so I believe if this raw milk that is being discussed and fussed about and it can cure people then they should sell it in stores. Its not that big of a deal. Yes it might kill some people but yes so can other food. There are so many things in stores that people are allergic too but they dont keep from seeling that stuff. Only if it was illegal would I say they should not sell it but its not so they should.
Noel Jacob 5th period
ReplyDeleteThe government should be able to place laws on what we drink. If you replaced the word milk with crack then the response would be completely different. The reason for this is because we don't see this problem in Texas a lot. We hear about the drug war at the border. This is just as bad. Why does the government make crack illegal? It is illegal because it is unhealthy. If somebody said that crack is healthy would you believe it. Most likely not. I a mother said she fed crack to her child, we would think she was crazy. This has a lot in common with crack. There is a war and rebellion for crack. IF the government prohibits crack them it should prohibit raw milk.
Mebin Mathew - 5th
ReplyDeleteThe debate for raw milk goes on, I think it could be bad. Let these people make an educated choice, they know enough to not drink a lot, but the little children may not have a say in the matter, which I don't think is fair. If the get sick the results can be very bad, and the parents will have no one to blame but themselves.
Christopher Gallagher- 6th
ReplyDeleteThis is a very odd and new topic to me. First of all I don't understand this ban on raw milk in the United States, it isn't doing anything wrong and if people choose to drink it why can't they? Another thing is that I didn't know raw milk can make a person more healthy. We usually believe that once milk goes bad that it shouldnt be drank because of the taste. But others discovered that drinking it can cause a healthier life. Even though i believe drinking bad milk is nasty, if others want to drink it why should we hold them back? It is there descision to do so and they have rights so i wouldn't blame them for protesting.
Michelle Kuo ; 5th period .
ReplyDeleteI completely understand why people might argue that raw milk shouldn`t be taken into the body. There has to be a reason as to why factories pasteurize milk. Raw milk has to have done some harm in the human body in the past.
However, I do think that if people are so desperate as to smuggle raw milk into places where it is not labeled legal, why make a law to ban it? They`re completely aware of the risks , but they`ve proven to help cure certain situations.
I do have to agree with Noel. However, I think there are certain times when the government make things seem much worse than they are .
Lindsey Biggart- 5th Period(:
ReplyDeleteI think it is right nect to being insane that something as much as drinking raw milk can be considered illegal. There are so many other things in the world that police and the government should be worrying about, and what kind of milk people drink is sure not one of them. Yes it may be unhealthy and dangerous, but if someone wants to risk buying and drinking it then thats their fault, and if they are using it to help heal some sicknesses then that obvisly means that they have done some research on it. I think it should be allowed to be sold in stores, or maybe pharmacys but not illegal.
Vanessa Hurtado 4th pd
ReplyDeleteWhy would they make a drink or food illegal? If people choose to drink raw milk then they shouldn't make it illegal. When the government is making something some people drink not aloud then everyone is going to be against the government for making something illegal. If someone drinks raw milk then it's there choice and they should take precaution to it so they don't hurt themselves or there health.
Nancy Tran- 5th
ReplyDeleteI believe in pasteurized milk, but I don’t know much about raw milk so I have no comment on it. Whether people agree or disagree with how their milk should be distributed I can see how the government can have the right to place laws on the milk people drink. Although some may think it is just ridiculous, it is necessary because for one thing some people just don’t know what they are drinking is good or bad and at times even have a habit of arguing for the fact that they are always right. I don’t think that the government would try to harm the citizens by trying to make everyone drink certain milk that is not good for them. So if the government bands raw milk than there must by something harmful about it, for example research showed that raw milk might contain some harmful pathogens, so it actually would be a better idea if we drink something that is legal and not something that is illegal. Having the government in this is just a safer way to control a disease from spreading around to others, since some don’t understand how harmful things can be. I also feel for those who think the government is violating their rights of being able to consume anything they wish to consume, the truth is I wouldn’t the government in my face for what I choose to eat or drink either, but the thing is we as mature human beings have to understand that reducing the risk for yourself and others is the best way to do things, especially when people who know more about the subject than we do is lawfully suggesting us to do so.
Reid Stacell 6th
ReplyDeleteThe debate over whether or not 'Raw Milk' is healthier than 'Pasteurized Milk' interests me very little, but that the government can make it illegal to buy and consume 'Raw Milk'. People ought to do some research of their own, and be able to decide for themselves what they want to put in their bodies, having someone choose what foods you can and can't eat is almost unconstitutional.
Annie Donovan
ReplyDelete5th period
In my opinion, people should be able to drink whatever they want to, whether that is pasteurized milk or raw milk. Either way, both could be hazardous. If you are lactose intolerant, then pasteurized milk is very harmful for your body. But, according to the scientists, raw milk is just plain “bad”. But this lady who had this disease started drinking raw milk and now she is fine. Is there anything wrong with that? In the article it states that “there have been no recorded deaths in the past quarter of a century”. With that evidence, I would take of the illegalness of the raw milk. But there is a very good point of not selling raw milk in grocery stores. What if someone accidentally grabbed the wrong carton? Would they die because of that? And that is something that the scientists need to go into depth with.
Ethan Clark - 5th
ReplyDeleteI have to admit, this is just about the strangest scenario that I have ever heard of. This definitely tops the bug story from last blog. However, there are a couple of quite ridiculous things that I have a problem with in this story. If the FDA is so concerned on what a parent feeds to their child, why not ban soda and candy, despite the fact that there would be a mass revolt all around the US. These foods are actually proven to be harmful to a persons health, leading to obesity which can lead to death. However, with raw milk, as long as the person doesn't go overboard, the effects would not be that bad, they may not even appear. Because of this, I ask, if someone believes that raw milk has magical properties and can heal crazy diseases, why not let them?Besides, I'm almost 100% certain that the food they feed us in the lunch lines at public schools are ten times worse that what raw milk can ever do to a person.
Brandi Houcks
ReplyDelete6th period
I don't think that drinking raw milk should be ilegal, i mean if its not really hurting people whats the difference between raw and pasteurized milk.
maybe its not safe enough for toddlers todrink but it might be alright for older people.thats probably why theres a law against raw milk.
Cara Slaybaugh
ReplyDelete5th. Period :)
I agree with a lot of my class mates in saying, why is raw milk illegal? I mean it's just milk and now they're saying it's safer than pasteurized milks. This whole commotion over weather raw milk is 'safe' or not is just crazy. This woman has claimed drinking raw milk has helped her disease and she's doing great. I think the ban against drinking raw milk should be gone. If it's helping someone then maybe it can help others, and it should just come with a warning sign just like all the other foods out there. So instead of people having to smuggle it in to the U.S we should make it legal for certain purposes in life. If these individuals want to risk it, then that's their decision.
Elizabeth Smith- period 4
ReplyDeleteThe government is overreacting about the milk situatin. there is alot more worse things that need attending to rather than weather to illegalize raw milk. A personsjould decide for themselves if they want to put un-pasturized milk into their bodies.
yes, its intresting that these people are fighting over who wants to drink raw milk. raw milk is disgusting just yuck, but you cant stop people from drinking what they want to drink, excepecailly if they think thats what cured them from disease in the first place. until you give them proof that raw milk is not the reason that they are cured from the diease they are going to continue to keep drinking that disgusting stuff. my personal opinion is, if your are taking something from another organism you dont just eat/drink or use it bare first you clean/ cleanse what ever you need to do to it before moving forward. do you eat chicken bare. do you eat in food just raw. no so why would you drink milk staight from the cows utter. common sense, like preston said never in a million will you ever catch ashle dezarea stokes drinking some nasty mess like that. if it means i have to take pills for the rest of my life. well so be it, atleast im washing those pills down with something simple delicous and safe.
ReplyDeleteAshle' Stokes
6th period
Jasmine Morris <3
ReplyDelete5th period!
Ahh, just another example of the wonderful thing that is the technology revolution. This, using the internet as a reliable source for historical information is an amazing step forward into what is sure to be a technologically dominated future.
This “library’s embrace of digital media” via Twitter isn’t very major(yet) but it’s still something to be a bit concerned about. Magazine and News Paper sales have been suffering for quite some time now due to online news sources. and everyone who isn’t completely isolated from all global contact knows that if you need information just to type it in to Google. Online databases are everywhere! So now that we’ve begun to actually use the web to obtain as well as locate historical information it seems that it’ll only be a matter of time before all physical documentation is obsolete. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not…