Monday, April 5, 2010

Harnessing the power of bugs for profit (blog #2 for 4th 9wks)

Harnessing the power of bugs for profit
By Janet DiGiacomo, CNN
April 5, 2010 8:07 a.m. EDT



(CNN) -- Ice cream cartons, PVC pipe, nets, pillowcases, a couple of refrigerators, boxes and bugs. Lots of bugs.

Not the typical supplies for a family business. But we aren't talking about the typical family business.

Bob Rich and his family are gearing up for another year of bug collecting. It's what he, his wife, his son and a few close friends do at Weedbusters Biocontrol in Missoula, Montana.

They collect bugs -- specific bugs that eat specific weeds to help farmers, landowners and some state agencies rid properties from plant overgrowth.

"When people ask my wife and I what we do for a living, it takes us a while to explain," said Rich, who was a state forester for 22 years before creating Weedbusters with his wife, Kandace, who has an art degree and teaching experience.

"She jumped right on board with the idea," he said. "She thinks some of the bugs are cute."

The official name for the service this family provides is "biological control," which is the use of a living organism to control a pest. The pest in this case is any noxious or invasive plant not indigenous to a particular region

"These non-native plants overpower and displace much of our native vegetation and create a real problem for landowners. We find bugs that eat only these nonindigenous plants. And they are able to clear up the land." Rich said this method is natural, nonchemical and highly compatible with organic farming and ranching.

The Rich family takes their work seriously but understands the raised eyebrows from people who do not voluntarily have bugs around the house, or in the house.

"Occasionally, after a day of sorting bugs, I'm on the couch watching TV, I feel something scratch me behind my ear; I usually find one or two bugs crawling on me. So, I have to pause the DVR and put the bugs in their containers."

Weedbusters' work does not end at collecting. The work also requires Rich and crew to identify species, separate them, store them and ship them, which is why their equipment list reads like an inventory at a church bazaar.

"We use nets to catch the insects. For some collections, we use a PVC pipe. When we sweep the plants, we get a lot of insects and other material. We put it all in a PVC pipe and cap it. The pipe goes into a pillowcase and sits for about 15 minutes. The bugs we need, leafy spurge flea beetles, are actually attracted to the white of the pillowcase. So they crawl out and we find them in the bottom of the case," said Rich.

And the ice cream containers? "We find the pint ice cream containers work the best," he said. "We put the bugs in the ice cream containers and then ship the containers in insulated boxes to our clients."

The bug collecting starts in the warmer months and the family knows exactly where to go to find their catch. "There are a few places here in town that we frequent because we made the release of these bugs a few years ago. We head out to those spots with our nets in the heat of the day. That's when the bugs are most active. But we can only stay out for a few hours. The bugs do well in the heat, we don't do as well. We can only take so much heat."

A typical day's bug take-home count is usually from the hundreds and higher. But Rich said there have been days -- especially when collecting leafy spurge flea beetles -- when the nets and pillowcases were filled with several thousand bugs.

The Rich's bug hunt looks for the knapweed root weevil, toadflax stem weevil, leafy spurge flea beetles, red headed spurge stem borer, Canada thistle stem weevil and St. John's wort beetles. These bugs eat only the plants they are targeted for and their names say it all -- the knapweed root weevil attacks knapweed, the toadflax stem weevil eats toadflax, and so on.

With the bugs bagged, the Riches head home to place the squirmy pillowcases in the refrigerator.

Yes, the refrigerator.

"We put the bugs in the fridge to cool them down so they are easier to handle," Rich said.

"We normally have an extra fridge just for the bugs, but sometimes I just put them in the kitchen fridge in the pillowcase. Well, one time there was a hole in the case and a good number of them got out. We found a few stuck to the butter, others were floating in the orange juice."

The reason for bugs in the refrigerator is valid. Dropping the core temperatures of the bugs significantly reduces their movement without causing death, Rich said.

The chilled bugs are then placed on a large table, identified and separated into groups of about 100. After they are properly identified and placed with their own group, the bugs go into the ice cream containers and back in the fridge, waiting to be shipped.

The idea is to keep the bugs cool until they reach their destination, which could be anywhere in the country. When the bugs are released, they get warm and active.

While the work may sound exclusive, Rich modestly admitted his is not the only bug collecting group around, which makes him a bit protective. After revealing that he had already received orders for the 2010 season, he politely declined to identify the customer. "I'd rather not tell you who made the order," he said, "I don't want to give anything away."

But he will tell you that $140 will buy you 100 knapweed root weevils and $80 buys you 200 flower weevils.

It's even possible to get a gift certificate.

"We had a lady call and ask if we gave gift certificates because she wanted to give her son a release of bugs for his property as a gift. So we printed up a certificate with a big picture of the bug and we gave her a dead one leftover from the summer. She put the dead bug in a box, her son opened it up on Christmas Day."

In the slower months, during the winter, Rich educates potential customers with seminars. He explains everything from the types of bugs available to how to release them once the customer receives them.

He is quick to point out that biocontrol does not eradicate any weed species.

"Since the insect feeds only on the weed they are targeted for, they will never eradicate their only host." The bugs, he said, will reduce the plant to a low level, and then maintain it at that level. Also, the process may take years before there is a noticeable impact on weed density in a particular area.

There is one piece of information that Rich himself adheres to every day.

"I always check for holes in the pillowcases."

71 comments:

  1. Jeralyn Laran
    4th Period

    I find the article very interesting and it is helpful. The bugs they collect can be used to help others when they are farming or need to get rid of a certain type of plant. This business is quite useful. There are some downs on having a job like this. When you are working with bugs all day, you may find some on you, which is gross to me. I think instead of putting the bugs in ice cream containers to ship them to their destinations, they should out the bugs in a container that is descriptively for them. Someone may come up to it and think it is real ice cream. They may want to keep bugs in another fridge because of the hazard of eating a bug when it may get loose in your own fridge. This could be hazardous to their health. The way they put their time and effort into sorting and shipping the bugs is very good and shows that they are capable of their work. reading this, i learned new things on what bugs can do. They may be creepy but they are helpful in society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eriel Yeldell 6th- This article is pretty interesting and gives me goosebumps. Most people just view bugs as pest but in this case these bugs are helping to get rid of pest. Sorting and dealing with bugs is not my ideal job but for them it works and is beneficial to Mr. Rich and his wife and customers who want to get rid of invasive species.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jared Cooper_6th period

    i think that the riches has a very akward but succesful buisness. The bug collecting part of the buisness is cool because it's like doing a hobbie with your family. There is alot of prepreation with geting the bugs. All the materials needed for the containment for the bugs and shipping them is to much for me personally. On the other hand its a good well thought out buisness. Also, when it comes down to not metioning the customers, then you know its a good buisness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber Washington-
    6th period

    This article is very interesting. A husband and wife have made a living out of something unique. I have not really heard of a people collecting bugs and making money of it, but the reason for this strange profession was to help with the agricultural industry, so I suppose there is a logical reasson. Also, the fact the "Weedbusters" gives out gift certificates also shows the great prosperity in this industry/bussiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew Tran 5th

    The Riches have themselves a very unique business. I've never heard of the biological control system and the way that the Riches are implementing it amazes me and creeps me out at the same time. True the bugs that they're using are helping us but I don't think I'd be able to sit still for very long knowing these bugs were roaming around. Like Jeralyn said, these bugs could be a hazard to our health. I can see many pros and cons about this system of pest control. For example, the use of live specimen eliminates the need to use chemicals to get rid of pests. However I'm pretty sure no one wants to go to sleep and find a bug crawling around in your pillowcase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexandria Ward
    6th period
    Gross! but smart. I wouldn't prefer to have a job like this but when you sit down and think about it, it tends to make you wonder why there aren't hundreds of buissness like this. Although farming is one of the less popular jobs, industries that produce mass amounts of farming products need bugs like these. Like i said, I personally wouldn't want a job likee this. Maybe for the summer only!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delma Mathew
    6th period

    I think it is very scary of a person to think bugs are cute, but that is just me. I agree with Jared that it can be a very interesting and succesful buisness. It is very hard to keep them in one place. To get all of the bugs it can be long process. They have to use many different kinds of materials for this process. They should keep the bugs away from the food. If someone is enjoying their work, it will be wonderful. Mr.Rich and his family seems to have no problems with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joel Jacob - 6th Period

    This Article shows how a family uses their ideas to affect the society in a beneficial way. This is true innovation, these people use what they have to take care of their of the problems instead of trying to make something new that could hurt the environment instead of helping it. I think others should learn by the example that they have set. This shows how people are trying to go green, use their environment, and still be benefitted by them. Now Companies are making changes by making bags and packages that are biodegradable. What are some other ways that people are going green?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adam Pye
    5th Period
    I believe that this is a useful alternative to the normal weed killing spray, and it's immensely creative. Using animals that are designed to only eat a harmful plant could revolutionize farming if it's practice begins to be widespread. It's a simple job that these people have turned into their main source of income. These environmentally friendly practices are sure to grab the media's attention, and that will probably bring them more business. Projects like this one are just so cleverly simple that you think how did no one think of this before, and it's because people took the easy way out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grace Amaku-4th

    Pulling seems like a simple solution in theory, but in practice it's much more work than would be feasibly possible in a large area.I did some research. In thick knapweed infestations, the density of mature plants can reach upwards of 150 plants per square meter, which makes physical removal a long and tedious process. Even worse is the fact that knapweed seeds can persist for years in the soil, which means that re-establishment from the seedbank can render a season's worth of pulling futile if not reapplied in successive years. Ultimately, a systemic solution to an invasion is the best bet in the long term, and effective biocontrols are an excellent way to go so long as they only target the invasive pest and do not have negative impacts on the native community.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Josilyn Thomas
    Period-6th

    I find the article a very odd topic but at the same time interesting. The bugs that Mr. and Mrs. Rich collect can be used to help others for farming or etc. This business can be very helpful but there are some appalling effects from having a business like this sometimes bugs could crawl out and onto you from not closing something tight and the bug probably accidently slipped out, which to me is horrendous. Reading this article I have learned some pretty cool fact about bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vanessa Hurtado 4th

    Working with bugs for some is something nasty while for others its something they love to do. People that love bugs im sure would like to have this job.Bugs that help prevent pests from bugging us isn't usual but if it helps then those that like bugs should do it. I think they should put them in a different container so no one will think of it as ice cream and so you can see what the bugs are doing within the container. Maybe putting them in a container like there home. The people capturing the bugs should wear full body suits so the bugs don't bug them and put any bacteria on a person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neha Joy
    Period-4
    This is a very interesting and unusual article. As a matter of fact, it is extremely informational. I agree to this total eco-friendly measure because it actually helps the environment maintain its equilibrium of life. This bio control neither dumps chemicals into the farms nor does it pollute the foods we eat. I think this is a good start for humans to slowly reverse the horrible effects of our selfish acts on the environment. I hope people will come up with more eco-friendly ideas and put them to practice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scott Samwell
    4th period
    This article was very interesting to read.I think its a very good and unique idea to get bugs to do the work that usually chemicals do, i also think that it is environmentally friendly.I never thought that of the idea of freezing bugs and if i did i would of thought it would kill them,so that is interesting to know.Although the idea of alot of bugs running around my backyard eating weeds is great, i know that some people aren't fans of bugs and would rather just use the spray.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tyler Caldwell - 6th period

    Well that's weird. Who would have thought that a family would create a business using bugs the way these people are. I always thought that freezing bugs would them, not provide stable traveling conditions as it apparently does. What I found nice about the article is how bugs are replacing chemicals in this situation, making everything environmentally safer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Paula Salmon-6th Period

    I think that this is a very interesting way to get rid of weeds when farming. It doesn’t contaminate water like chemicals do, but it takes a long time to start working and the bugs only, “will reduce the plant to a low level…never eradicate” the weeds that they feed on. So the farmer never really completely gets rid of the weeds but just keeps the population at a low level. The way that they gave a gift certificate to one person was pretty interesting. I wouldn’t want to open a Christmas present and find a dead bug in it. Overall I think that this is a very smart way to use normal household items for a business and cut down on supply costs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a very unique and interesting job. It seems like a job I would hate. Some people fear bugs a lot but this article shows us that bugs help our community more than you think. I was very interested at how they keep bugs in pillowcases in the freezer to slow them down. Overall I think they are doing a great job and it’s good for the environment. Instead of using all these chemicals they are using natural ways to getting rid of unwanted plants. I wish everyone could come out with unique jobs like these that help the environment.
    Zak Shagroni period 4

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reinier D. C.
    4th Period

    I've always wonder what other people do wehn they don't have ant jobs like Bob. Bug collecting is a really cool job to listen because it's different from what others really do. If I don't have a choice, I would try to do this kind of job. The best thing they actually learned by themselves was when they found out that the bugs could be slowed down by putting them in a pillowcase and put them in a freezer. Oh yeah! By the way, after reading this, it creeps me out now, I'm going to start checking my pillowcases before I go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  19. JT Jakubik
    5th Period

    Working with bugs isn't really a job you think about when your a kid. I couldn't do it. Too gross. But apparently some people can. And some people are making a descent income. I find it very interesting though. Mr. Bob Rich may seem crazy, but some how, some way, he's receiving money on the daily. There's millions of bugs on your street, but you don't really take the time to notice. Or in this case, observe. Anyways, if these insects can help out your life, such as killing weeds. I'm all for it, because picking weeds is a pain in the butt. And many people make good money by selling the insects. Besides I didn't have a clue when it said: "It's even possible to get a gift certificate."
    I couldn't believe it. Before this, I was never aware of the "Bug Business."

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eric Li- 6th period

    I really like the idea of not using chemicals to get rid of weeds. It helps the environment and gives little kids something to do when their bored. For those people that are greener than others, here is an option that they can use. The only thing that bothers me about this system is having unexpected raids in the refrigerator and beds. That's where the bigs cross the line.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Christian Gomez
    4th Period

    I think that this is a very interesting profession, I think that due to it being an extremely unique tactic of killing weeds and harmful plants, and I am sure that it works very well. I am certain that for the next few days, I am going to check my pillowcase thoroughly before I even think about going to sleep. I would completely freak out if I ever found one or two bugs crawling on me when I was watching television. This is very interesting, I think this might be and interesting profession to look into actually.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kaylon Carroll 6th
    This job is definelty something i wouldn't want to do. Dealing with bug all day? Nope not for me. Some people got to do to make, but apparently the Riches are making it just receiving money daily and spending time with your family. Mr. Rich is a very smart man.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jackie Miller 6

    I love the idea that the family is using bugs instead of chemicals to get rid of the weed-pests. Creative thinking like that provides much benefit for the environment. I find it pretty difficult to comprehend that they sort and package the bugs in their own home. I would probably try to get a separate facility for the bugs. It was pretty gross when Rich said he found them crawling on him. It's amazing how he talks about his buisiness so normally despite its abnormality, I do find the idea very innovative though. I feel that he could be trusted with accurate identification of the bugs because he was a state forester for 22 years. It's great to see environmentaly friendly ways to make lives easier.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Carlos Betancourt Period 4

    We all have unique jobs, some just happen to be a lot more unique than others. Collecting bugs, storing them, and sending them away to all parts of the country may not be the most common job or the greatest to tell all your friends all about but it does require work and seems to pay well. The family that does this, in my opinion, is quite brave. A job like this is not taken by just anybody. The simple fright of insects eliminates more than half of the population. Leaving very little people left but who would want to store bugs in their own home? Not many. Finding someone who would do this kind of job is quite rare. Making this occupation paid a lot more than any other job requiring the same amount of work or even more. If nobody else is willing to do it one can charge as much as they want. This family’s courage has really paid off and has helped many families keep their homes nice and clean. Despite all the criticism they receive they continue to do it. One always seems to not follow through on something due to what everyone else might think. But this family has overcome that obstacle and has truly helped many families around the country.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Preston Graham 6th
    This article is very weird but also smart .Its like one of those jobs that you find on drity jobs.The riches have a great business its good to see people still being willing to do stuff most of us wouldn't do.I hope they are more succesful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. JIbin Kuzhippil 6th

    i have to agree with JT that working with bugs usually isnt what the average kids say when you ask them what they want to be when they grow up but I found this article very interesting and it opened the door for a lot of new ideas for me. It just goes to show that there are all kinds of things you can do if you are creative enough to try. the idea of having to pick a few flies out of my hair while watching some T.V doesn't exactly appeal to me but there are some people who don't mind and find bugs to be cute and interesting. the idea itself seemed like a clever one and i wish Mr.rich and his family good luck at what they are doing

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jonathan Cheung Period 4

    This is definitely not a career you want to grow up wishing to be. Yet the strangest jobs are sometimes even the most secure. Like a doctor who treats illnesses, bugs will always be on Earth no matter the technology. If the owner cannot do something to fix their lawn, then someone else will, the bug catcher. Yet one can easily see that this is not a profitable career, as a home owner could simply hire an exterminator to eradicate the weeds for a lower and quicker price. This can be seen like a hybrid car. For an eco-friendly option, you would have to spend more money and approach the solution differently, in this case wait for the bugs to do their work.Another downside is that it doesn't even get rid of the weeds fully, only decreasing its population. This business is probably so small that this can essentially be performed as a second job or even a hobby. One could come home to catch bugs in the evening and perform the needed rituals. As for me, this would probably be a last resort after probably being homeless for a LONG time and have am unemployed.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sruthi Jayadevan
    6th Period. (:

    There are big companies commercializing insects for bio-control for a long time. I guess there is little or no quality control in this case here. Biological control is long sought due it desirable benefits, no need to spray crops with toxic chemicals. Companies, like Koppert, have quality control and invest in research. It is not just go out and collect bugs to sell. I believe that most people that buy it from this family are small growers and don't know what they are really buying.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think that is a very interesting way to deal with biological problems. Using life to help destroy weeds is very beneficial; you don't have to go out in the hot and spray something to get rid of the weeds, you have bugs do it for you, and they will help to maintain the weeds for years. I also believe that this is very unique way to handle a problem. I think that uniqueness will thrive in a business economy, if run correctly, because it often offers a product that not everyone else is trying to sell. It is really cool. I hope Bob rich is continually succesful in his business and keeps on helping farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Meghan Patterson 5th
    This was a pretty cool article. I'm not too into bugs but I never knew that they only like certain plants. I thought the just kinda ate what ever plant was there. I think it's cool how these people take the time to collect these bugs because if they collect the bugs that eat certain plants they take the place of harmful pesticides that along the line kills more than just that plant. I think what they're doing is great. They must feel really strong about there job because I know I surely I wouldn't ever want bugs around my house. I hope they continue to be successful because what they're doing is unique, smatr, and very helpful to farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jacob Fisher
    6th Period

    I found this article very interesting after reading it. I was first a little skeptical about the title but after reading the article it all made sense. What Bob Rich and his family are doing is amazing. They have made a career using bugs to kill off plant overgrowth. The benefits of using these bugs are they do not affect the environment like spraying a harmful chemical would. They also eat a specific plant so you don't have to worry about other plants being at risk of being eaten or destroyed. I believe ideas like these will make our environment cleaner and our world a better place. I hope ideas like these will take over modern techniques that hurt the environment. It is amazing to read about people who are creative and who think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Seena Keerikattu
    Period 5

    Wow. This is a very unique,somewhat weird successful technique. Their creativity and innovation is amazing. Mr. Rich and his family have made it their career out of using bugs in order to exterminate plant growth. This is a very beneficial technique in a sense that it exhibits a much less harmful affect on the environment than other chemicals. This promotes the idea of having our world a better place to live in. Mr. Rich and his family show their mere desire and hard work in this project and their devotion to it as well. They take the time out to collect bugs, and to me that shows alot. This is definetly helping farmers to its advantage. This merely shows how they came up with an idea and stuck to it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Iram Nandolia, period 4
    Though we might not see these sorts of jobs around us regularly, they are very fundamental. Imagine having to live with bugs around us we that might be ignorant about, bugs that can be harmful for our health, or pets, or even our plats and crops. It takes guts and fortitude to be able to work with bugs, that I definetly along with many others do not have. I like this project the family has taken on includes the family as a whole, I am sure it really helps them to connect with eachother. I agree with Andrew Tran, that NO ONE would enjoy having bugs crwling around their pillow case, and that makes me want to check before I sleep. =D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Aaron Clarius - 4th periodApril 10, 2010 at 10:03 PM

    A lot of very useful things can seem odd. It's certainly an innovative business idea this Rich guy has, collecting bugs for pest control. It's also a way to avoid using other pesticidal means which may do unwanted damage to crops. It's not necessarily always better for the environment, but it's certainly creative.
    One could see this as akin to the use of bacteria and even viruses to maintain good health - some things that our incredibly neurotic culture is distasteful of are actually helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Christopher Gallagher- 6th

    I am very suprised to hear about a company that specializes in this sort of work. I have heard of farmers trying to get bugs away from there crops because they destroy them, but taking them in to eat them up is a different story to me. I understand though that this is one great idea. Farmers don't have to use all these nasty chemicals to stop the growth of weeds instead they can buy bugs to do the job for them. I was also fascinated by how they put their bugs in the refrigerator. They again came up with another great idea that is leading to the a better outcome for their company. I have never heard of putting bugs in a refrigerator either so it is new to me. All in all i think this company can last, they came up with a good idea and other people like it so they will soon become famous and recieve a higher income towards maintnance or expansion of the company they run.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Brittany Kuusisto
    6th period
    This business seems to me, unique. These people take ordinary things, such as ice cream containers to hold the bugs. When they use everyday ordinary things they can save money and show that business doesn't have to be so expensive and fancy to work properly. This is a good way to organically raise your crops if your a farmer, but the down fall is the bugs don't work as fast as chemicals do. So it depends if you mass produce and need to grow crops quickly, or if your business isn't as in demand. Either way this company is onto something good:]

    ReplyDelete
  37. Miranda M. Period 4

    This article is quite strange. The use of the incects is really resourceful. I couldn't picture myself doing this though. I don't really mind bugs, but im not really that close to them. The fact that the bugs are around their house, really creeps me out. Another thing that I like that the Richs' do, is their method of using an object as natrual as incects to fix what we don't like about nature. What they do as a family and a buisness is very creative and helpful to our worldly enviorment.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ross Lasris- 4th period

    It's amazing how such an odd business can take off and allow this family to make a living off of it. It is like a hobby that they can all do together, which I think, would make work seem much more fun. In the future, I could really see the bug business becoming bigger and bigger. I don't think it would ever completely replace weed killer simply because these bugs only target one type of weed, while weed killer can kill basically any plant whatsoever in a matter of days, but regardless, getting rid of the weeds from the bugs takes no work from people, and the bugs get rid of the weeds in a large area. Another good thing about this method is that they only kill one type of plant, with weed killer, you may accidentally kill something that you wanted in your garden. I think that these people should just come up with something along the lines of a bug breeding ground so they don't have to keep catching more. If they catch hundreds every day in just a few hours, the bugs obviously reproduce quickly. It just seems like their operation isn't as efficient as it could be if they just invested some money to grow their own bugs instead of going out to catch them every day.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Sidney Okon
    5th Period

    I believe that the ability of using these bugs for two progressive reasons is very helpful to both sides. This family has paid attention to the unnoticed part of wildlife, the bugs and then discovered that they could be making a profit with a bug that can fulfill a purpose that could help people. I also believe that this movement can set a stage/starting point for many other advances in uses of things that we do not pay much attention to.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Rachel Choate, 6th Period

    Bugs are not my cup of tea, but I think that if these people like it, it's okay. Yay for them if it's working out for them, but I'd much rather keep my fridge WITHOUT bugs! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy these bugs, I'd probably invest in pesticides. They work faster and get immediate results, where as many bugs don't. Pesticides seem a lot more reliable than bugs too, since they can't fly or run away to your neighbor's farm.

    ReplyDelete
  41. vanessa hurtado 4th pd

    I find this topic discuting but at the same time it's something smart that not many people would think of. I wouldn't be one of the people managing the bugs but there are people for that kind of job. People try to use sprays for this job but that isnt eco friendly. Now using bugs seem to be doing the job. Hopefully this new technique works for the best. I even learned how bugs like certain plants not all. And that bugs arent just there to bug people.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Kevin Sabouni- 4th Period

    It's good to see people that commit their entire lives to help fix issues in the world. Though some might say that working with bugs is not the kind of job they were expecting when they were a child. Children grow up wanting to be firemen or doctors. They probably never thought that they would be helping the earth by working with bugs. The solution that they have created to fix this problem is most ingenius. They have learned to solve a natural problem with a natural solution. Their work will slowly revolutionize the way we think of weed extermination forever.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Trey Moore...

    This "roach/bug" job is very instresting. I dont know who would want to do such a job, but hey that works for that family. I find working with bugs is kinda cool and it helps keep away pests.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Alain Lee
    Period 6

    We dont take the time to think that the most simple and unusual jobs keep this world going. There are millions of dollars going into research for cures for diseses, and without the time spent by people to think of helpful ways to prevent or further cause Global Warming the Earth would not be here much longer. I understand this families strange occupation, they did what they thought needed to be done to help other people and just to make money for themselves to live. There are thosands of jobs that we do not know of or think is possible to make money off of, but those are the kind jobs that keep us going and living.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Bruce L.-4th PeriodApril 11, 2010 at 7:49 PM

    This article is extremely interesting in that it opens many doors for even unemployed people. It shows that anything could be made possible. Harvesting bugs to control pests is a truly ingenious idea that, as mentioned already in the article, not only decreases unwanted plants, but also aids the environment as well.

    Their job requires a lot of effort. Staying in the sun, placing them into refrigerators, sorting them out one by one, and finally shipping them to customers nationwide, are all stressful and extremely tedious. I am surprised and enlightened to see how they utilize such simple things such as ice cream containers.

    Through this example, I believe that the unemployed, or just people in general, will think outside of the box and develop novel ways of thinking or doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Chris Pena 4th-

    I think this article is a little wierd but it's a good thing that they are finding out new things about bugs that can benefit us. I know farmers across the globe are thanking people like this because they can find something to control the bugs that eat there crops and other things they grow to sell, but i could'nt imagine living in a house full of bugs, i dont know how these people do it.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Mebin Mathew -5th period


    This is a great way to kill weeds, it takes away the use of chemicals which can be harmful to some plants. Bugs are generally thought of as annoying , but now they can be helpful. I'm terrified of insects, and don't see how they can be cute, but I guess Mr. and Mrs. Rich can see past it and work with them to make a profit. Biological Control may possibly be the new main way to kill pesky weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Annie Donovan
    5th period

    What the Rich family is doing is something quite odd, but also very effective. It is a great way to get rid of weeds without using harmful chemical weed-killers. That is probably its main advantage. But if you don’t like bugs, this would not be the business for you to go into. Another downside about this kind of business is that it is not very popular. So if you wanted to order some bugs, you probably couldn’t go to Home Depot and pick some up. But I think that what the Rich family is doing will start a chain reaction and other people will jump on their bandwagon and maybe we can eliminate the use of harmful chemical weed-killers.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Alexis Willis - 5th Period (: <3

    EWWWWWWWWWW!!! collecting bugs for the profit!!! And they touch those things!!!! Ehhh but you have to make a living some way!!! But over the fact that it is nasty, they have fun doing it together as a family , and getting some extra change on the side. Just couldn't pay me enough to do it, so more power to them!!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  50. May L.
    4th pd.

    I thought this job was rather interesting, but working with insects is definitely not the kind of job I would want, because I am terrified of all kinds of bugs. This method may sound strange, but it is effective and environmentally friendly. I think Mr. Rich has the best of both worlds, because he has created a business out from saving nature.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Noel Jacob 5th period

    This is a very creative job. It is very beneficial in many ways. It is a job when the economy is bad. They can work on their own schedule. They also ship to foreign companies. This lets them not rely on one economy. This also helps nature because it uses nature's products. This is a good job

    ReplyDelete
  52. Jonathan Pecson
    6th Period
    This article is very intresting. I found it fascinating that these people made a living off bugs. Even though this job is rather very weird, these people are helping the environment while making money which is really the only thing that counts. Who knows maybe one day we will start using bugs as everday weed killers insted of using harmful chemical ones.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Nancy Tran- 5th
    I absolutely think this idea is really cool and interesting, and the fact that the family thinks the bugs are cute. J I do not what so ever like to be anywhere near bugs, but it’s interesting to see that the things I dislike the most is actually a helping hand for those in need of them. I find it very interesting that the bugs like the white pillowcases, probably it’s because they are always in the ground around dark areas (dirt, plants). Also the idea of having the bugs refrigerated and shipped in the ice cream containers gets me wondering how much ice cream does the family consume, and how many fridges do they have…? Another thing that stuck to me was what in the world was he thinking when he placed the bugs in the kitchen refrigerator, not only that the pillowcase had a hole in it!! EW! On top of that bugs were practically everywhere in the house, even on the back of his ears. Anyways I would have never thought of collecting weed- eating bugs for sale, like I said its interesting but probably not the best job for me.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Edward Qin 5th

    To make a business out of distributing bugs instead of exterminating them was very interesting to read about. I have heard of farmers that let various insects and animals roam free to eat the harmful organisms, but I have never heard of people that purposely capture and then sell them. Although environmentally friendly and innovative, the general public probably will not accept the creepy crawlies into their living space any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Anissia W.
    It’s smart to sell bugs to get rid of weeds and other unwanted pest. It’s a great way to earn money for people who like bugs. Personally, I’m not a fan of bugs they are creepy, but if you find something you enjoy and can make money off of you have a career. Also it’s not one of the regular jobs we hear about, doctor, lawyer, teacher, it’s different. Bob Rich is save indigenous grasses and killing weeds without using harmful chemicals that may cause detriment to the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Beth Sutton - 5th Period

    This is a fantastic example of using natural things (without harming them) for out benefit, instead of creating something unnatural that will just kill everything (like chemicals). This man thought of something clean, profitable, natural, and unusual in order to deal with a common problem that farmers face. This could be applied to other problems in life. Instead of searching for a new solution to a problem, look for an answer that is already there. The man in this article simply harnessed the power of....bugs. Charming (:

    ReplyDelete
  57. Brittany Bernard-4th period

    I think this job is so unheard of because it takes a lot of patience, time, and tolerance for bugs. The Rich family can be looked upon as somewhat brave for dealing with the bugs. I couldnt handle the thought of having bugs from earliers work crawling down my back or in my pillow. Its helpful to farmers, but i could not picture this as a career.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Tatiana R. 4th
    Not going to lie, this creeped me out. This insect buisness is actually pretty cool. What an awesome way to save money and use the everyday pest to our advantage. Farming has gone down but indeed it is still a major income producer.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Tommy Batchelor-6th Period

    This is a very unique job if yu as me, its not my first carrer choice but it gets the bills paid i guess. I find it wierd and i would never do this, personnaly i don't like bugs or any type of work in the "bug industry." I think its pretty cool their family does it together and likes to do it. I wonder how he found out about these bugs and how he got into it.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Jasmine Morris <3
    5th Period!

    This article is very cool and interesting in a weird creepy crawly makes me itch a little, kind of way. :)

    It’s always fascinating to learn about professions you had no idea existed. To some this bug gathering and collecting may seem strange and abnormal but if you really think about it these people who collect insects actually have a very great impact on our lives. Without the help of people like the Richs, crops would be overrun with pests and we would either be forced to resort to excessive amounts of pesticides just to be able to keep vegetation alive until ripe which could result in a great variety of health and environmental issues or plants would just die and the people of the world would have to work very very hard to find a good salad. Although bugs are pests, they're here for a reason and i'm glad there are people out there putting them to work the proper way.

    I myself am very thankful for these “Weedbusters Biocontrol” of Minnesota. If I were to ever meet any of you I’d surely shake your hand…and then go wash mine cause I still don’t like bugs. :P

    ReplyDelete
  61. Mikayla Winland
    5th period

    As many people have said earlier, this is interesting. The Rich family is smart in thinking of this. Why not make money off of bugs? I would have never guessed you could do that unless you found some type of rare species to sell to a museum. It's amazing how many people actually know about this and want to buy a gift certificate for Christmas! It is a rather odd job to be doing, but if you enjoy it, why not!

    ReplyDelete
  62. After reading this article I thought it was quite interesting but yet gross at the same time. I would never ever keep a bug in my refrigerator nor in my pillow. I am not amazed by bugs so this would not work for me. I do think that this is a new and cool way to get rid of weeds and to make money. I would probably never take this job but if it makes money then go for it. If this is something you enjoy then I would go for it but otherwise I would just stick to a pesticide. Anyways this article does show how many people experience and make a living. -Hanna Moore Period 6

    ReplyDelete
  63. Ebony Douglas
    4th period

    This article is interesting in the fact that it gives you a new view on bugs. Most bugs are bad for plants and can ruin them, but these help them. Also people are starting to get creative with how they make thier money in times like these, it saves money and puts bugs to good use. Who wouldnt want to use pests to our advantage, save money, and make a some while doing so?

    ReplyDelete
  64. Michelle Kuo ; 5th Period


    This could very possibly be the most disturbing job I`ve heard in a long time. To think that people actually like to keep thousands and thousands of bugs within their household and actuall take them out to sort them and what not is crazy, especially the idea of keeping them in the fridge until they cool . I would not enjoy bugs in my food and drinks .

    However , like Jonathan said , bugs will remain on the face of the earth for as long as the earth stands . . . or . . . floats . Sure , it`s not a favorable job , but hey , someone`s gotta do it.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Imani H. 4th

    The Biological control is a great way to kill weeds and others plants that are pests. It dosen't use harmful chemicals, so it's safe for the enviorment. The bugs that eat the weeds/pests can enjoy a meal while the landowner enjoys a great weefree/pest free lawn. It's an easy way to make money. More people should get rid of weeds and other pests this way.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Anders Beato 6th

    I think that it is great that this family has found a none chemical way to get ride of pests such as these plants. It is quite weird and you probably would have to get used to the idea of having a whole lot of bugs around your house or area but in the long run i think it helps . When i read that he finds one or two bugs crawling on him i find that hilarious I've heard of taking your work home with you but thats ridiculous. I also thought it was nice that the wife joint in the business when she has a degree in art and teacher but instead she chooses to help her husband that is pretty nice to see a family and a few good friends can get together and make a great business.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Ethan Clark - 5th

    I have to admit, this is one of the strangest news articles I have read in quite a while. To think that someone would have thought of a job like this and actually had the knowledge of bugs and plants to put it into action is quite amazing. Personally, I never once thought that bugs would be a useful control for weeds, especially keeping them in your own fridge, in ice cream containers no less. I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised, considering the fact that bugs have been on this planet since the start, it was only a matter of time that someone found a really spectacular use of them.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Cara Slaybaugh
    5th. Period :)

    I think these people are crazy! I personally don't want to be handling bugs on a daily basis and having them in my refrigerator. The Rich's are helping a lot of farmers because of the collecting of different bugs, but it's just plain weird. It's cool, in a way, that the family is so laid back about the whole idea. It makes their everyday lives much easier knowing all of them enjoy it. Plus, they're making good money off this job too and helping others.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Reid Stacell - 6th

    I agree with Ethan, this article was very odd, and I constantly found myself looking down or itching my arms to make sure I didn't have any of these bugs on me myself. I do find it interesting that you can make a living off of selling bugs, and also that there are bugs that have such a limited diet to eat only certain weeds. I suppose this form of 'weed eating' no pun intended, is just as affective as hiring people to go pull weeds and unwanted plant material out of the fields. I also kind of like this form of weed control better than a chemical type placed in the soil to keep weeds from growing, perhaps this method is healthier for the human body to consume.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Karuna Antony 5th
    This article was really interesting and weird in a way. The job that this couple has is rare..but unique as well. Keeping bugs in your house wasn't exactly what i thought to be an ideal job, but if their not going to do it..who will? It helps the earth and is very safe for the enviorment so why not? I wonder how the Rich family even thought of the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Stephen Harris 5th

    This article was extremely divert and strange the couple was keeping bugs and making money off of it and the idea of having the bugs refrigerated and shipped in the ice cream containers can really get you thinking about ice cream after dinner and how awkward it would be to find bugs instead of rocky road ice cream. The bugs seemed attracted to the white pillowcases because of how it can in a way mimic the dark and closed in comfort of dirt.

    ReplyDelete