Monday, August 30, 2010

Blog #2 "America's 10 Most Dangerous Jobs"

America's 10 Most Dangerous Jobs


by Les Christie, Staff Writer

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Last year was the safest year in the American workplace, but heights, weather and heavy equipment still put many people at risk. Which 10 jobs are the worst?

The American workplace is safer than ever despite some recent job-related disasters, such as the West Virginia coal mining explosion and the Gulf oil-rig catastrophe.

Only 4,340 people died on the job last year, down 16.8% from 2008, according to new data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

That's a rate of 3.3 deaths per 100,000 workers -- the lowest ever reported by the BLS.

Here's a look at some of the most dangerous jobs and how workers keep themselves safe.

Fisherman
Fatality Rate: 200 per 100,000
Median Wages: $23,600

The most perilous job in the U.S. is held by those who fish the waters in cold-weather states. Freezing water and icy boat decks can lead to horrific accidents, and storms can swamp small fishing vessels, sometimes claiming entire crews.

Compounding the danger is catch rules: By limiting fishing seasons, fisheries management creates a race to fish, according to the Environmental Defense Fund.

That forces fishermen out in dangerous weather and keeps exhausted crews on the water. In Alaska, the season for halibut and crab has been, at times, reduced to just three days.

Even warm-water fishers face hazards. Wayne Magwood has shrimped the waters off South Carolina for 40 years and says the biggest danger is heavy machinery, such as the power winches and cables that haul nets and other equipment.

"My dad taught me to keep my shirt tucked in," says Magwood. "Your clothes can get tangled up and you can get pulled overboard. One guy broke his neck recently."

Magwood also lost a friend when the crewman was answering nature's call and a sudden roll pitched him into the water.

Logger
Fatality Rate: 61.8 per 100,000
Median Wages: $34,440

Logging takes an annual toll like few other occupations. The biggest hazard, according to Roger Smith of RL Logging in Olympia, Wash., comes from logging mountain slopes.

"You're working steep terrain with 70-degree, 80-degree grades with rocks and sliding logs," he says.

About half the time, he's taking down 60- to 70-year-old trees with trunk diameters of 30 inches or more. If not felled correctly, these can go crashing down slopes, rolling over anyone in their paths.

"A lot of the time, what gets cutters is if they don't see something," Smith says. "Like trees growing together or snags."

The old forest canopies often have those snags, which are big dead branches that break off and can fall erratically when the tree comes down. Loggers call them "widow makers."

Even after the trees are cut, the job of loading them can be tough.

"Somebody just got killed here last Thursday," he says. "He was running a harvester and one of the teeth of the chain broke off and went right through the bulletproof glass window of his cab."

Airplane Pilots
Fatality Rate: 57.1 per 100,000
Median Wages: $106,240

When former Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens died in a small plane accident recently, it underscored the hazards Alaskan bush pilots face.

That crash followed the script of many Alaskan accidents, where the most common cause of fatalities is "flying into terrain, under speed," according to the BLS.

Heidi Ruess, an Anchorage-based bush pilot with 40 years experience, says, "You can't compare Alaskan flying with the rest of the country."

Volatile Alaskan weather and vertical topography can cause pilots to lose visibility in fog and fly into steep mountainsides.

She used to take tourists, hunters and fishermen out to remote locations until she flipped her Cessna 185. She had only three passengers -- the plane can take five -- but she was still over-loaded because, in addition to gear, they had packed up four or five caribou.

"We don't have roads [in Alaska] and you can't drive in to pick up the gear and the game," she says.

She also flipped a float plane a few years before as she landed to pick up duck hunters. She tried to use mud to brake but it was frozen and the plane hit a big ditch and sent her tumbling.

After that, she concentrated on teaching. She cautions her students that the two biggest reasons for flying accidents are physical conditions, which pilots can rarely do much about, and judgment, which they can.


Farmers and Ranchers
Fatality Rate: 35.8 per 100,000
Median Wages: $32,350

Both farmers and ranchers deal with many hazardous conditions in their workplace. In many cases, accidents result when workers get fatigued or hurry to complete a job.

"When you're tired, you may take shortcuts you shouldn't," says John Gilbert, who, along with his four brothers and eldest son, runs a big dairy and pork farm near Iowa Falls, Iowa. "Raising and harvested crops, you have short windows to get things done in the spring and fall. That leads to a lot of rushing around."

Many agricultural workers die one of three ways: being pinned in overturned tractors, truck collisions and animal incidents.

One of the biggest hazards for farmers around Gilbert's home ground is moving around augers that transfer grain from trucks or bins to silos.

"They're tall enough to get tangled in overhead power lines," says Gilbert. "Everybody knows about the hazard and is cautioned about it, but accidents happen anyway."

Almost as dangerous is taking to the roads on slow moving tractors or combines. Drivers inexperienced in rural travel may confuse the hazard lights and directional signals and think the farmer is turning left instead of right. That leads to farmers sometimes turning directly into the path of an oncoming car or truck.

Gilbert himself has been cautious, and lucky, never sustaining a disabling injury. And he does not consider farming a job: "It's a way of life," he says.

Roofers
Fatality Rate: 34.7 per 100,000
Median Wages: $33,970
Height increases danger -- and roofing is an occupation where elevation is part of the job description.

Kevin Coleman has been roofing safely for 24 years, since age 18. He works commercial buildings with mostly flat roofs, so the possibility of falling is lower. Although he has worked as high as a 70-story building in downtown Chicago.

One particular hazard is hot tar. The roofers work with big buckets of the stuff heated to as much as 525 degrees.

"I got hurt only once," says Coleman. "A guy's shirt with a lighter in the pocket fell into the tar and exploded. My face was covered." He escaped with only a few scars.

Safety has increased for roofers.

"When I started, it was 'Get up on the roof and go,'" he says. "Now you take OSHA safety courses and there's more safety equipment, too."

Roofers can fall even off flat roofs with no wall height, so one innovation was to set up a line of flags, six feet from the roof's edge, like an outfield warning track.

There's also more protection, such as restraints and nets, to catch workers when they do fall. But the prime reason for a steady drop-off of injuries and fatalities is better training, according to Coleman.

Ironworkers
Fatality Rate: 30.3 per 100,000
Median Wages: $44,500

The men and women who build the skyscrapers and bridges of modern America have always been held in awe by the general public.

Images of them walking a four-inch steel beam hanging 500-feet above the street or sliding down an I-beam illustrate the conditions that would have lesser workers curling into a fetal position and crying for their mommies.

Steve Rank helped build downtown Houston in the 1980s and now works to improve ironworker safety via negotiated rule-making with OSHA.

One thing that has changed is the number of anchor bolts set in concrete has doubled. These bolts help hold beams steady as they go up. In the past, many bolts failed.

"The structure would fall like a house of cards," Rank says.

Site preparation is also a major issue. "Before, it would look like a scud missile hit, everything underwater in mud," Rank explains. "We'd be offloading steel and the truck wheels would sink, shifting the beams and crushing people."

Rank is still negotiating with OSHA to get better rules for reinforced-concrete buildings. These can be 20-story high constructions of poured concrete with steel rebar embedded in them.

Lax regulations governing them has contributed to more than 100 ironworker fatalities over the past few years, according to Rank.

"We want to do the same thing for reinforced concrete we did with structural steel to make the job site safer," he says.

Sanitation Worker
Fatality Rate: 25.2 per 100,000
Median Wages: $32,070
Martin Luther King was assassinated in Memphis Tenn., when he came to support black sanitation workers who were striking against unequal treatment.

Ironically, 40 years later, that conflict continues to have an impact on the health and safety of Memphis sanitation workers.

According to Warren Cole, the president of the union local, black workers were frozen out of the city pension plan years ago, leaving them only social security. Many have had to keep working at this demanding job much longer because they can't afford to retire.

"We lost one of our workers last week," said Cole. "Emmite Johnson had finished running his route. Memphis has been averaging about 100 degrees with high humidity, and he fell waiting for a bus. He was 70 years old."

Summer may be tough on sanitation workers, but they also endure hazardous wastes all year long. Cole said a new peril is from portable meth labs, which are set up in vans or automobiles.

Explosive bi-products are discarded in garbage bins or alongside roads, a lethal danger to sanitation workers.

There's also the heavy equipment, like compactors, that can grab and crush workers if they're not careful.

Industrial Machinist
Fatality Rate: 18.5 per 100,000
Median Wages: $39,600

One of the biggest hazards of working with industrial machinery is handling the heavy weights. Machines can buck or shift, easily crushing a fragile human being.

Machinery in use in unforgiving. Loose clothing or long hair can be caught by chains or gears and mangle workers before the equipment can be brought to a stop.

Fortunately, better safety equipment and more comprehensive training has made working with machinery safer, according to David Merrifield, a Missouri-based safety consultant.

"There are better standards for safety and training," he says. "A well-trained operator can avoid accidents and make the accidents that do happen less severe."


Truckers and Drivers/Sales Workers
Fatality Rate: 18.3 per 100,000
Median Wages: $37,730

Mark Sutherland is a long-haul trucker with a track record of 2 million miles without an accident. But not all drivers can make that boast.

More truckers and sales delivery men die on the job than any of the other top 10 occupations due to a moderately high fatality rate and a large number of workers.

Vigilance is vital but that can be hard to maintain, especially with truckers under pressure to produce. Government deregulation, according to Sutherland, has increased competition and squeezed profit margins. Some drivers and companies cut corners.

"They do what it takes," says Sutherland, "and some of the terrible accidents you see are the result."

For truckers pushing the limits, speeding and driving too long without proper rest take a toll. Things happen quickly when a big rig is rolling down the road at 75 miles per hour and the driver's attention has wandered after 10 hours with only a short break or two.

"You have to constantly pay attention," says Sutherland. "You can't have enough eyes. You have to adjust to conditions."

His pet peeve is the drivers who come to a dead stop at construction zones for no reason. That, fog, ice and snow are the most hazardous physical conditions that truckers face.



Construction Laborer
Fatality Rate: 18.3 per 100,000
Median Wages: $29,150

Building sites contain many of the hazardous conditions present in many of the most dangerous jobs. Workers are outdoors in all sorts of weather conditions, often at great heights and exposed to heavy materials and machinery.

A laborer was killed at McCarren Airport in Las Vegas early in 2009 when an earth-moving shovel ran over him. Later in the year, a Michigan laborer died when a diesel tank exploded. In New Jersey a worker was killed after his clothing entangled in a rotating machine drilling pipe.

Safety has sometimes been an afterthought on some construction jobs, but government regulations and heightened awareness by companies and the workers themselves have helped to steadily pare down casualties.

102 comments:

  1. I like this article a lot more than the other one, no offense to Anne Frank or people that like her. After reading this, I was surprised that sanitation worker was on there. A lethal danger that can be found in the trash. It makes me wonder what it is. Everything else seems reasonable enough, but it seems like there are more dangerous jobs out there, although I can't think of any at this moment.

    Daniel Thai
    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marissa Moss
    Period 5

    I also liked this article a lot. It does seem like there are more dangerous jobs out there. What about the people that build power grids and stuff? Or any field that deals with dangerous animals? You would think a man that handles poisonous snakes and spiders daily would have a better chance of dying at work then a sanitation worker. I see how there could be some danger in the job though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chaz Talab 3rd periodAugust 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM

    I find this story to be amazing! I think this is the epitamy of the working class. These are the people that work relentlessly everyday to get incredibly dangerous jobs that most of us wouldnt even dare to try. I don't look at this article in a sad way. I look at in aw and amazement. The fact that people (everyday people like you and me) can go out and risk their life just to finish the top of an office building or put food in our stores and later in our stomachs. Every one of these jobs relates to almost everything we do or use today. Just think about it paper, shrimp, the house we live in, your job, your vegetables, your grandparents from Alaska. All have some relation to these deadly jobs.
    These jobs are truely what America is and is made of. This is just astonishing. Something else that did surprise me was the fact that jobs like sanitational engineer were on there. Even some of the (believed to be) simplist jobs can be so dangerous. Well I have kinda gone off track but i guess what im really trying to say is that I'm proud to be an American!
    P.S. farming- one of the earliest forms of making money in the history of man and to this day is still one of the most dangerous jobs.
    Chaz Talab

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick Mathai

    Personally I love fishing and I never knew that such thing could happen to you as a fisherman.
    I know I've only been boat fishing about 4 or 5 times in the last 9 months but I've been pier fishing plenty of times.
    Whenever I go we usually pick a good night around midnight.
    But after reading this article I realized what fishing can do to you.
    You know in the past the worst thing thaat I thought That can ever happen to you was catch a shark and then it attacks you. It's really opened my mind to the dangers that ar really out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brandon psencik
    3rd period

    I agree with the first blogger saying that this is a more interesting article than the last. I have to say though, some of those jobs don't sound that dangerous to me. For example, a sanitation expert. What could you possibly do that would have you in effect pushing up daisies. Not to sound respectful, if you die in that specific area of jobs then you must have been doing something unorthidox. Another job that doesn't sound that deadly to me is a farmer. Sure I understand the mishaps with animals and heat stroke and all that jazz, but overturned tractors and getting caught on a power line. You've got to be real incompitant to do something like that. I'm sure if id try it it be hard but someone would teach me. Personally some of the deaths might have had conditions that have gooten someone fired so they tryed to caover it up with a possible mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah Ware 2nd Period
    Wow! I didn't know so many people could die from jobs like those! I mean, when you think of dangerous jobs you don't normally think of things like sanitation worker or a truck driver.I think of people on Shark Week and Animal Planet who deal with wild animals! It's hard to imagine that someone could lose their life trying to grow food for you, or catch fish for you, or bring the food to the store for you to eat. We are all somehow connected to these dangerous jobs. Think of all the things we have that come from trees, or your garbage man, or your trip to the grocery store and when you come back to your house. People think these jobs are simple but really the people doing them are risking their lives-for you!!! I think they deserve a little more credit considering they are risking their lives for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Period 3

    Like the comments before me, i enjoyed this article thoroughly. This really opens your eyes and shows you how dangerous some of this work is, the sad thing is many of these accidents could have been prevented, human error is a cause of many deaths on the job. It shows we need to be more careful on the job, not only for your safety, but for the safety of your coworkers. And many of these workers have unreasonable deadlines (namely truck drivers and construction laborers) and they rush and use sub-standard materials and equipment and nobody benefits from it. People just want things cheap and fast these days. My thinking on the matter is if you cant build it with quality and minimal risk to the workers then don't build it at all. But other than that I send my condolences to the families of those who have died on the job, and to those who are working to make these jobs safer I send my appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that this is a very informative article. These workers don’t even get paid efficiently; still they take the risk to make a living. I personally think holding an eminent position like a king or a dictator could pose danger to one’s own. The program called dirty jobs in the T.V also shows dangerous jobs like the listed above ones. To a great extent farming would not be a hazardous job if none of the mechanical tools are used which is not a pragmatic idea. A pilot has something worth to take risk on; he gets paid really well which motivates him to take the challenge. All jobs will be safe if safety measures are followed and caution is taken.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Riquerra Broadnax (2nd period)
    I think the worst and most dangerous jobs are Airplane Pilots,Construction Laborers, Industrial Machinists and Fisherman because I feel they put their lives at risk more frequently than the rest of the people that work the other jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The people who wrote the previous comments must love being bored! This was just a list of boring job hazards. Why would someone want to read this. Just so people know, hardly anyone died. Only one 500th of the fisherman (most dangerous) died. That is next to nobody. I am kinda confused at what people like about this article. If anybody has a good reason, please post it. PLEASE.
    Joseph Anderson
    Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that safety is stressed to the point where it makes people scared to even go to work. Yes the dangers are now evident, yes the accidents have been cut by so and so per centage. This is all very good and well? but the commercials that are supposedly promoting safety awareness and, " make you feel safer," make you feel like living is a thing meant to be feared. i ask you, are these simple statsistics worth making everybody feel as if they must live in a bubble?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chasidy Twine 2nd periodAugust 31, 2010 at 7:48 PM

    I enjoyed reading this artical however, I believe there are jobs more dangerous than the ones on this list. For example oil field workers , coal minors, and even storm chasers to name a few. It would only be fair that people risking there lifes on a daily basis would have a more substanial salary. Yet theses brave Americans get 1/4 paid of what they truly deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leo Huang Fifth PeriodSeptember 1, 2010 at 1:25 PM

    I remember a few years ago I really liked this show called Deadliest Catch. It was about these fishermen in Alaska in the King Crab season. All of the fishing ships would go out, and the entire fishing season was about a week. And I remember that something wrong happened in almost every episode. There were incidents when people fell overboard into he icy water, there were incidents when people broke the legs from tripping over a hole in the deck, there were violent blizzards, and there was even a time when a fishing boat sank. To me, I knew that it was just a show, but I knew that in reality this was the fishermen’s way of life. They get their money out of this and they have no other choice. I can’t imagine myself being in such a dangerous situation at all. I liked this post a lot more than the one about Anne Frank, because it connects more to the society today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jessica Dove
    5th period

    I didn't realize how many people died while working! I knew some of the jobs were dangerous, but not all of those. And that's not even all of the deadly jobs out there! The author was saying there were only 4,340 people who died on the job last year, but thats a lot!
    This article makes me thankful that there are people out there who will do the deadly jobs for us to make OUR lives better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Emily Panozzo
    4th period

    This just goes to show that you can never be too careful. Some of these jobs seem like they would be the safest place to work but I guess since people don't expect the unexpected, they are careless which leads to a fatal accident. Then again, the number of deaths might not be the best thing to determine which job is deadliest. My reasoning behind this is that the jobs that are really lethal might not have as big of an amount of workers, therefore the deaths come nowhere clothes to the deaths in these fields. A common job would probably have alot more workers, therefore alot more people for something to go wrong with.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sean Kelly
    2nd Period

    This article was really intreasting and took me by suprise on just how dangerous jobs can be. I mean I never realized how many workers put their lives on the line. This article also makes me thankful for all these workers such as the sanitation worker who risk their lives everyday just to keep everything clean, or even the Roofers who help us with our house, and I think everybody should show some appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Katie Snyder 2PeriodSeptember 1, 2010 at 2:57 PM

    Whoa! This article really showed me how some of the jobs I don't even think about are the most dangerous. Like The roofers. When the hurricane hit my family decided we should get a new roof, but because ours was 10 years old, but I did not even think about how dangerous their job was. Also the same for the fisherman. I love sea food, but I have never thought about what someone is putting at stake. They are risking their lives, and potentially never seeing their families again, and they are doing all of this so I can have a nice dinner with my family. Most of these jobs are not even the best paying jobs.That is like a major bummer. This is really going to make me think about what I have and really enjoy all the extra fun and nice things I have in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Danielle Uy 5th Period (:September 1, 2010 at 3:37 PM

    I have to say this article was more appealing. The article had me look at these jobs in different perspectives. I learned to be thankful of the people who put themselves out there. I mean the sanitation worker is at risk for bi- products and could be compacted with the hook at anytime with the pace he's going. Yet we look at them as just that trash guy, I'd hate to be him guy. As for the Fishermen their job is always in demand and they're job has many fatal aspects. All in all,I appreciate all the people in these professions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gabriel Camera
    6th period

    There are some jobs that I think that shouldn't be on this blog. Because for me, they are not really that dangerous. In most of the jobs, weather, physical conditions and geography location makes it more dangerous than urban jobs. Even though some jobs are very dangerous, they don't get a higher salary than other jobs. well, I know that my dad gets more money than this people, and my dad's work is not really dangerous. I think that this people deserve way more money than what they get.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kenneth Pranoto
    2 Period
    This article was realy cool and interesting. I never knew that a fisherman can die in so many ways. I agree with sean that we always need to be thankful to those people who make this world a better place. It seemed there also risking their lives likee soldiers. I even have a question "How do lumberjacks die from that is it because, they can't see on top of them or what"?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Myles Patterson
    4th period

    It is amazing how hard that people will work to make a living, and the amazing thing about it is that they don't get paid that much above average. I like that, and I think that is one of the things that makes America so great, the people who work hard to keep it how it is, even the jobs that people don't often think about or wouldn't think about doing. I congratulate the people who take on these challenging jobs. I especially know how dangerous roofing and house repair is because I have done it before, in fact just last summer. I went on a mission trip with my church to help repair houses for people who couldn't afford to hire someone to have it done. It was definitely a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Period 5
    It's funny to see how something that we take for granted, such as the people who come take out our trash every weekend are in a very surprising danger factor. It makes me feel a lot of sympathy towards not just the sanitation workers, but the other job workers and their families. They say goodbye to their husband/dad not knowing if they're ever going to see their dad again. On the critical side of me though, at some point these people must realize the extreme danger, but see the amazing figures they might receive and let the cash and selfishness blind them. Then again to some extent we need people doing these jobs. Either way, this was a very informative article about the surprising dangers of different jobs and I can't wait to see the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Charlene Sigua
    4th period

    This article really surprised me. I never new that the fatality rate on these jobs were so high. This show how much the people with these jobs risk their lives. It really makes me thankful to them that they're doing this for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Even though I don't know what half of these jobs are, the way they're described in their paragraphss explain it a little clearer. I can think of many jobs that come to my mind that didn't make the list. Maaybe they aren't as important as I would have thought. With these type of statistics you have to be careful later on in life with picking your occupation, make sure if you take a job you do a background check on things like this.
    Kiah R. 3 period

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anthony Chenevert 2nd

    This really puts something on my mind to think about when I go into the job industry. The fatality rate is really through the roof and it surprises me that some of the most jobs that don't use machinery such as sanitation has a higher fatality rate then the more physical jobs. When looking for a job people should really consider looking out for their safety and try to pay attentions to their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Alvin Mei
    2nd Period

    I really liked this article, because sometimes I spend my free time watching this show called Ice Road Truckers or American Loggers, and I didn't know it was this dangerous to the people working. Although I do not believe that roofing is a dangerous job because, people have common sense and they know that they should take caution all the time while their up there. Other than that, I loved this article.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Carolyne Lu
    Period 3

    I also really liked this article, like the others above. It's so interesting to learn that even fishermen and farmers/ranchers can get hurt. I'm not saying that they'd never get hurt because everyone gets hurt at one point, but I didn't really notice their hazards so much, unlike the roofers, iron workers, and loggers. Those 3 occupations didn't surprise me when I saw them up there because their danger levels are pretty obvious. I really look up to the people who choose these dangerous jobs because they sacrifice their lives to make our lives better.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! This article showed me how much danger is involved with jobs that I would've never thought to be dangerous. I would've never thought that a farmer would have so many risks at a farm. Another one that surprised me is how much danger the sanitation workers face. I did however know that truckers faced danger because every year my family drives to Chicago and we usually see trucks that are overturned or in an accident. This article brought my attention to how dangerous the jobs that I thought was simple were.

    Ann Mathew
    Period 6

    ReplyDelete
  29. Neethu George
    3rd period

    I really liked this article. It was amazing. I never knew farmers and sanitation workers would be in possible danger. Others I knew would be on the list like loggers, coal miners, and pilots. I really do respect all those people who do their jobs even if they're at risk.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jay Shah
    6th Period
    Uhh Joseph, how can you not enjoy reading about dangerous jobs? It is one of the most interesting topics ever of ALL two of the posts. Anyway I think it was way to long but I was surprised to see that all the dangerous jobs are all low or medium payed jobs. Pilot is the only 100k+. So the people that make less money have to risk their lives, yet the rich people or people with good jobs don't have many risks. I think the government needs to do something to make these mildly payed jobs much more safe for the workers as most of these are needed in everyday lives. But it's never going to change because the government and the people themselves are going to pay much more attention to the jobs they THINK matter so much.

    ReplyDelete
  31. 3rd period

    This Article shurly opend my eyes about the dangerous jobs out there. I never knew that fisher men or ranchers/ farmers have so much danger before them while working. I really never noticed the every day danger in any of the 10 jobs listed. This really helps me thank the people that take one these dangerous tasks and risk their lives daily to make our livevs better.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Period 2

    I heard somewhere before that fishermans had the worlds deadliest job but I thought that was just a joke,like some random shark is just gonna grab you or something. I always thought those shows about truckers, fishers and loggers were just making things unecessarily dramatic. This is a eye opening article although I'm suprised that Police or Animal Trainer wasn't on there they seem dangerous enough. The risk these people take for the sometimes meager wages that they make is just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Kenneth Pranoto 2 period
    I don't agree at all with Jay. Maybe some of these people didn't want to have a good education. Why should the rich people get punish for being smart. Then it will all corupt and we will maybe be like "Animal Farm" or when communism went to Russia. But this is only mt opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Samantha Twardowski
    3rd Period

    When I first saw the titles of the jobs that were dangerous I was very surprised because I would have never thought that those jobs were as dangerous as zoo keepers and a fire fighter would be. I would have never thought that a sanitation worker would be dangerous but I know understand why. I also thought another dangerous job such as a police officer would have a higher death rate because they deal with dangerous people on a daily basis.I really enjoyed reading this article to learn all the dangerous jobs and how they are so dangerous, and I will be sure to keep this in mind whenever I pick my job.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Samantha Twardowski
    3rd Period

    When I first saw the titles of the jobs that were dangerous I was very surprised because I would have never thought that those jobs were as dangerous as zoo keepers and a fire fighter would be. I would have never thought that a sanitation worker would be dangerous but I know understand why. I also thought another dangerous job such as a police officer would have a higher death rate because they deal with dangerous people on a daily basis.I really enjoyed reading this article to learn all the dangerous jobs and how they are so dangerous, and I will be sure to keep this in mind whenever I pick my job.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Joey Wright
    6th period

    It is true that alot of these jobs come with a higher risk just to work there; and the workers aren't paid enough money because they're practically risking their lives. Theres on job that I don't think is up there and is still pretty dangerous. Working on an oil rig also is a high risk. People die on those rigs but you probably don't even hear about it. Has anyone seen those reality shows on The Discovery Channel? They're called "Deadliest Catch" and "Ice Road Truckers".Even though they get paid alot of money, they are at risk of losing their live just to fish for crab or carry a load of goods across the icy roads of Alaska. Also does anyone watch 1000 Ways to Die. These are some of the ways you can die. Hard labor jobs just aren't that safe anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Logan Gloster
    4th Period

    I think that the working class deserves more credit than they deserve. They are the laborers of America and they have many dangerous jobs. One thing I disagree with is that a sanitation worker(a.k.a janitor) is considered a dangerous profession. Sure not all the trash and messes are the prettiest in the world and smell like roses,but it's not like they're going to die from some kids vomit. As for that man dying, I feel sad for him, but he should have just gone inside an air conditioned building and waited. I would miss the bus if it meant not dying. There are only a few dangers depending on where you work as a sanitation worker but all in all it just doesn't seem that dangerous to me. As for the other jobs I would be reasonably nervous about doing them. Airline pilots endure long hours of flying and if something goes wrong with an airplane and it crashes from that height, anyone still alive would be lucky. All in all I think that most of these jobs are very dangerous and aren't worth the pay that they get.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I really liked this article. I was surprised at first when I read the titles of the jobs. I never categorized them as dangerous. But now that I think about it, I can see why they are so dangerous. By reading this, I have learned to appreciate those who work at these jobs. I don't think the people who work at these dangerous places are getting paid enough to do their job.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Chris Bready
    6th period
    This is really shocking that these jobs that I have no knowledge of are this dangerous! Yes I believe that truck driving is dangerous and boring, but you have to stay alert. I find it very impressive that ordinary people would risk their lives every day just to make money! I would do the same, but these are not fun and easy jobs. All these people amaze me that they step up and take the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Merin Mathew
    Period 6


    Like other people,I also found it hard to believe that framers, fisherman, sanitation worker had tough and dangerous jobs. I think there are other dangerous jobs that involves with power line or maybe even a firefighter. I don't understand why people risk there life like that with low wages, except for a pilot.I think it is nice that to government added safety rules to try to prevent death during work. I like how they sacrifice there life just to make our life better. Even if they are only doing it for money.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Edward Richard
    4th period

    I had no idea that this many people lost their lives on just these jobs alone last year. It makes you think, what happens on the jobs that werent mentioned in this article. Stress is a killer to, in fact thats the number one killer to me. Everybody can get it, especially from ther jobs. The silent killer.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Jenny Chang
    Period 5

    Some people have no choice but to work dangerous jobs to earn a living. Some want to pursue their dreams as a pilot. Without these people we would not have the life we have now. Imagine if there are no sanitary workers, who would help collect our garbage? If there are no pilots, how do we travel to oversea countries in a short time? They are the people who risk their lives in order to make ours better. Fortunately, with past experience and new technology, the dangers involved in these jobs greatly decrease.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Mariah C.
    Period 3

    This article really changed my perspective on jobs. When I think of a job, I think of a doctor, or a dentist, but I never really thought about the dangerous jobs. These dangerous jobs are also very important, too. Without an airplane pilot we wouldn’t be able to go to a country overseas. Without a truck driver we wouldn’t be able to drive goods to different places in the country. I thought this article was very interesting, and it taught me to appreciate the people who do this for us.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Jae Phan Period 4

    I'm appreciative that there are brave and strong americans that can do the jobs that some people are unable to do. Some of these workers risk their lives for the U.S. to better their nation. Imagine fishing in extreme weathers, with unbelievingly cold water splashing across the deck, it must be insanely physically and mentally hard for those fishermen to do their duty. This makes me proud to be an American.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Ranaill Davis
    Period 5

    I really like this article because it makes you think about all the people who risk their lives and not for much money either. The job that I liked the most was the roofer because you would never think about alot of people dying except for if they feel off. But today I learned that a man in a diffrent storie feel through the roof and died on contact, just like that. This article I can relate to nobody wants to die but excpecialy not at work.

    ReplyDelete
  46. o Abby Christopher
    5th period.


    I was very surprised to read this article. The jobs that I have never actually given thought about, and that are so important in our lives, are so very dangerous. I was really surprised to see Sanitation Worker on the list, but once I thought about it, it is supposed to be on that list. All these jobs are pegged as simple, yet they are so very dangerous. God bless the men and women who have died and those that are still working to give us what is needed in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Michael Brennan 3rd periodSeptember 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM

    Wow, this article was really interesting. LIke many people before that have commented I had no idea that so many people dies doing their everyday jobs. It really makes me appreciate those workers and be thankful that nobody in my family does those jobs. I would hate it if everyday you wouldn't know if your family member was going to come home. It shows how great our country is that those many people are willing to die for their jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Kyne Onyenze
    3rd Period
    Hahaha I found this article amusing because I had no idea that a job like a sanitation worker, a farmer and a rancher would have such high death ratios. I mean in order for those to be considered dangerous jobs you would have to be PURPOSELY doing something you weren't supposed to be doing. I also did not know that there so many dangerous jobs in America. this came as a shock to me but I liked this article a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I am surprised that law enforcement isn’t on this list. One would think that someone who catches criminals for a living would have a higher risk of death than someone who catches fish. How is fishing the most dangerous job in the country? I think Les Christie has his numbers off.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I agree with Tyler this makes me want to live in a bubble and pay someone in a bubble to take my trash from my house. This just goes to the extreme about the dangers of working, it's life. I mean the reason we get that crab from red lobster or we get that right piece of wood we depend on these people who like and risk their life for pompous people like us who don't realize what we put those people through. they risk their life and they don't want to be reminded by some news journalist who wants to make the front page of their section or want to make a blog, they just want a story and the people who do the dangerous jobs don't want to be reminded that their friend got killed on a boat right next to him. This story is just overboard.
    John Moore 6th period

    ReplyDelete
  51. Sarah Raines
    4th period

    You know it really is wierd, when you think of a job you think of being a doctor or teacher. It rarely ever comes to mind jobs like logging and fishing. We don't think or realize how dangerous these jobs can be and most of us certainly don't think of someone actually losing there life at work. But these jobs are very dangerous. The article says the death rate has gone down from 2008, by 16.8%. which is almost unbelievible when you don't even consider the numbers being any more than zero. That is just my opinion of course.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Okay, this was really interesting. I had no idea that everyday people die from their jobs. Wow. I really appreciate these people now. People that put their lives on the line to help us. And like Mariah said, when I think of jobs, these aren't on the top of my head, and now since I know all of this, I'll think of them.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Erica Barrera
    5th period
    WOW! These people are not even getting paid a lot of money to work these dangerous jobs. I understand that that the only job they can get right now but I wouldn’t get a job that puts my life at risk. If I had not read this blog I wouldn’t have known that these jobs were dangerous. I mean I didn’t even know people die from those jobs. But these people are really willing to put there life at risk.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Eby Lukose 3rd PeriodSeptember 4, 2010 at 2:18 PM

    I also think that this article was a bit more interesting than last week's. We should all respect these people who risk their lives for us. Most of these jobs do, in some way, benefit us, and the people with these jobs should be paid more. Most people think that people with jobs like doctors or lawyers should be respected the most and I agree with this, but i also think people should think of the people with dangerous jobs, like fishermen or construction workers. All of these people help us, and they should be thanked for it.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I respect your opinion Joseph, but that's not the right way to put it. These jobs might not seem dangerous to you, but I bet it seems like that to the people actually doing them. I do admit that fishing seems like the most not expecting way to die, but I understand how. I have gained a new respect for people working in his jobs. This was a very interesting article compared to the last one, sorry Anne but it's just a tree.

    Tara Phillips
    6th Period

    ReplyDelete
  56. Victoria Hackney
    2nd Period

    Wow! I never would have thought that jobs like that would have the highest death rates. I would have thought that police officers, firemen and people like that would have higher death rates than a sanitation worker. It really does make you appreciate what people do for this country and allow us to have civilized life. The numbers really were shocking!

    ReplyDelete
  57. 6th period.

    Who would've thought that throwing a line in the ocean or putting trash in the garbage truck would be considered dangerous? I am so thankful for those people who wake up in the morning, knowing that they’re about risk their own life to make our life better, are still willing to do their jobs. Now I finally know why recycling is good for the Earth. It keeps it green & also it helps with the workers. As everyone above said, this article is very interesting. It made me realize to look at all the jobs out there; that every job is important and used for everyday activities we do.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Dylan Allotta
    5th

    I thought this article was very interesting. It's weird how people never seem to notice where the everyday things we use come from. Like something as simple as a sheet of paper. Paper comes from trees which must be cut down. This job is in the top 10 most dangerous. People put their lives on the line everyday so we may have something as simple as paper. I'm not sure however if jobs such as the Military, Police Force, or Firefighters were included in the count. These jobs seem as though they ought to be up there in the ranking.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Abin Joes
    period 2

    Jobs are needed for people to live. It does not matter why you want the job, if you like it or if you're trying to feed your family, it does not matter. People who are adrenaline junkies take dangerous jobs to fill their thrist for exitement. While others take dangerous jobs because nobody wants the job and corparate is willing to pay double. I thought this article is inappropriate because I belive that if you do not want a dangerous job do not take it, but if others want to risk their life for employment let them.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Francescha Rundle
    Period 5

    I agree with Leah Ware. I really thought that their were much more dangerous jobs out there than these. I would have thought that someone from an extreme television show would have a much bigger chance of dying. Also, I didn't realize how farming or being a pilot would cause harm to a person. Either way, I appreciate the men and women that risk their lives doing these occupations. It takes a brave person to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Jade Martin
    Period 4

    I think everyone should be thankful that there are people out there willing to risk their lives for us. Without them , many things wouldn't even be around. Food wouldn't be on our table and in some ways we wouldnt even be safe. It's just good that there are people out there willing to risk their lives just so everyday people can go on living normally.

    ReplyDelete
  62. KAYLAH MOORE~2

    I totally agree. Without those people willing to risk their lives we wouldn't even have things we use on a daily bases. And I had no idea that jobs such as farming and fishing could be so dangerous! Maybe logging yeah, but I guess now I'm more appreciative from reading this article, just like everybody else. Those are some really brave people. They make those jobs look super easy, I mean I never new fishing could be not boring and easy, it's pretty hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Rebecca Johnson 5th PeriodSeptember 4, 2010 at 7:49 PM

    Everyday people risk their lives doing the simplest things, such as their jobs. It's crazy to think that people die doing their jobs, to make everyone elses lives that much easier. The jobs that are in the article arn't the jobs that are usually the first that come to mind. When I think dangerous jobs, people risk their lives everyday, I think firefighter or police officer. Who knew that being a sanatation worker was a dangerous job? Or a farmer? I am thankful for the people that do these jobs but it is sad to know that everyday someone will go to work and will never come back.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Reading this article has amazed me because I didn’t know that most of these jobs and be dangerous! Like the sanitation worker I mean who knew things in the trash can be exposed like that. But the other jobs of course have dangerous conditions to them.

    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  65. Malcolm Berry
    5th period

    I was totally unaware of the dangers some of these jobs can have. Especially sanitation where I was completely shocked that people actually died from doing that job, but before I read it I was completely unaware of some of the duties they had to do and machinery they had to work with . I also agree with Rebecca Johnson where she says that "Who knew that being a sanitation worker was a dangerous job? Or a Farmer?" Because people usually think of dangerous jobs like fireman and police officers and never consider the other the other jobs and the possibilities of someone getting hurt or killed. And some of the death tolls were absolutely shocking like 18.3 per 100,00 for truck drivers? I would have never known that taking breaks and resting could matter so much for them. But not only are they accountable for there lives but as well as others on the road. I think that we should be more aware of some of the dangerous jobs out there that may have never been thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  66. I’m confused at what the big deal is? These are peoples’ jobs. This is how they make their living, and maybe they like doing it. It's not like these people are forced to do this job they all have a choice, and they all know the dangers. I know it might sound immoral and all, but that's their job; what does it matter to us. It's their life, they can do what they want with it.

    3rd period

    ReplyDelete
  67. Alex Cyriac Period 5September 5, 2010 at 9:39 AM

    I found this article to be quite surprising. The death rates for these jobs were higher than I expected them to be. I understand that being a pilot is always a risky job, but I did not expect the death rate for it to be so high. How often do you hear about plane crashes? Whenever there is one, it is usually reported on the news or on the internet. What about police officers? They have what I would consider to be one of the more dangerous jobs yet they are not on the top ten list. Alex Cyriac Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  68. Prerna Kamnani
    4th Period

    Wow! This article was definitely eye opening. I found this article more appealing to read. This article really made me realize that people out there are working under such hazards to provide us with ease. It’s hard to imagine that people go to work knowing that there is a chance of death or injury. For example, I would have never imagined a sanitation worker being a lethal job. The jobs listed in this article would never be the first thing to come across your mind when thinking about dangerous jobs. A person would think along the terms of a firefighter or police officer. This article makes us come in to realization of the other jobs that people risk their lives for.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Well, this article has quite a hype and deserves it. It provided many jobs that people take extra risks in completing that seem to be ignored by the general public. Of course, some jobs like construction workers, roofers, fishermen, and loggers are easy to understand the pressure and danger that is associated with it. Then again, some jobs like the sanitation worker amazed me, and I guess everyone else, by the fatality rate and how the job is as dangerous as driving a truck nonstop to a distant location with little rest in between driving. I guess we all have to be grateful for these people who take the extra risk to do their part. If not, we would be fearing our own lives doing these jobs instead.
    -3rd Period

    ReplyDelete
  70. Despite the safety risks, it is still necessary for someone to do these jobs. These are dangerous jobs, but if we want to keep our society running correctly, these jobs need to be done. We should all just be grateful that there are brave souls out there risking their lives every day for us. They put their lives at risk, even though a lot of them have families, to keep our country running right. Thank you, hard working people!

    Amber Tunstall--4th period

    ReplyDelete
  71. Mackenzie Krus
    Period 6

    I could definitely understand why these jobs listed would be the top 10 most dangerous. I personally think Airplane Pilots would be the 1 because you have 40 and 50 peoples lives in your hands and you have to be really skilled and really careful and have real steady hands, also you have to be very patient. Now, yes, a fisherman is dangerous because you get out in cold weather, well I don't think it is the most dangerous. I don't see how Farmers and Ranchers could be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Ervin Ricasio
    5th Period


    WOW! This article was very interesting. I never knew how dangerous these jobs were and how many people died from them. These jobs can risk a workers life. I'm suprised that people work for these jobs , but I'm proud that people out there take the risk to make the world a better place. What about the people that work with deadly animals? Their life is always in jeopardy.

    ReplyDelete
  73. I found that some of the jobs on this list shocked me that so many people died .For example being a pilot, because I really never thought of the different mistakes a pilot could make. Also, a sanitation officer, because I never thought about what could be hiding in a trashcan, for example explosives. But at the same time, I would have thought iron workers would have more deaths. This is because they are tens, hundreds or sometimes even one thousand feet from the ground. I would have thought more people would have fallen because one wrong step and you are a goner.
    Tyler Powers
    5th period

    ReplyDelete
  74. Saimol Edaparampil
    3rd period

    This is a very interesting article. I never thought that people that are farmers and truck drivers are in great risk of losing their lives while doing their jobs. This made me open my eyes and realize that even jobs like these are very dangerous. I would normally think that obviously being a fisherman, from watching The Deadliest Catch, is a very dangerous job because of the violent waves and conditions out there but never would I have thought of being a farmer as a very dangerous job. This article has made me appreciate every single worker that goes out to do things that we think of as simple but for them its THEIR life on the line.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Aileen Nguyen
    Period 3

    Like many of the previous responses, I agree that this article is better than the one about Anne Frank. I was shocked to see that farmers and ranchers made the top ten because, at a first glance, their jobs may not appear to be as dangerous as the other jobs listed. Seeing fisherman as number one, though, did not surprise me since it's obvious that they have to face many hazards/obstacles while on the water, which one can observe if they watch shows like Deadliest Catch or something. In conclusion, accidents can happen everywhere no matter how careful a person might be.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Gabriel Flores
    6th period

    For me this articale was quite suprising in a way. We all know that jobs such as logging, roofing, Iron workers, Industrial Machinist, Constuction Laborer can be dangerous. But sanataion workers and farming was new. This just goes to show you how every job is different and has its own dangers as well. I guess that we should be thankful for these people who risk their lives doing these jobs. I just find it sad that everyday someone is going to die while their trying to make a living.

    ReplyDelete
  77. This article was very informative. These are jobs that I never would have thought were dangerous. It does not seem right that these jobs are so dangerous but get paid so little. It was extremely suprising to me that a sanitation worker would be on the list. When I think of them I only think of them picking up trash and that's it. I never thought of them picking up hazardous waste, explosive bi-products, and the new thing which is portable meth labs. Very interesting.

    Danielle Sherman
    4th Period

    ReplyDelete
  78. Abels Koshy
    6th period

    This article was very informative in many ways. I never knew that a sanitation worker was risking his/her life by helping the community stay clean. I haven't heard of some of these careers. It takes real guts to do what these citizens do for us, each day. With jobs, there comes a lot of responsibility. Most of these workers might be working for these jobs, because they are blinded by the money they recieve.

    Abels Koshy
    6th period

    ReplyDelete
  79. Shahab Khorshidpanah 6th periodSeptember 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM

    Shahab Khorshidpanah 6th period

    I like this article because it shows that death can happen at anytime no matter what you are doing, so you always have to be carefull. It also shows that everyday people risk there lives to get a job done, like construction workers or fishermans, someone has to take the risk and get that job done. This shows that everyjob is important no matter what you are doing. Somepeople just have the guts to do riskier things, but most of the time they love what they do and they realize they can get hurt or even die during duty.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Jeauxbert Fields
    3rd Period

    It's intresting what some people think are some dangerous jobs. Personally, I thought a dangerous job would be something like mining, but when I read this it made me think about all the dangers a job could have. Of course the miners mignt get caught in a mine(not to sound uncaring) but thats the worst it gets. An air plane piolt could run out of fuel, get lost, our lose control of the plane. Although these things sound dangerous, they can usually be avoided like making sure that the machine you're working with is operating properly. So it goes to show you that what can happen, could usually be avoided

    ReplyDelete
  81. Students,
    PLEASE CHECK YOUR COMMENT BEFORE SENDING!!! I have had almost 20 comments since Friday evening that I am unable to post. Use correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation. "I" instead of "i" and "you" instead of "u"

    If you do not see your comment posted as of now, you need to redo it before midnight tonight. I have posted all that are within guidelines up to this point.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Wow. There are so many jobs out there that don't get much money back in return like the fisherman, having to deal with so many problems like ice. I never would have thought a salesman would have so much trouble other than the robbing or the occasional unhappy buyer, but other than that what's so dangerous about it. I can't believe there are so many problems with jobs that make them so dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  83. I found this article to be very interesting. I now have so much respect for the men and women who work hard everyday at those dangerous jobs. I found the death rate of fisherman really fascinating. I never knew how dangerous fishing was till I read that article. When I was younger my family and I used to go fishing in a near by lake. I have always seen fishing as a hobby not as a life changing job. But what was really suprising is that all of these men and women risk their life for under 40,000 dollars.I am just happy that someone is willing to risk their life for others. That is really unselfish of them. It brings a smile to my face knowing that there is still humanity left in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Grace Bonojo
    4th period

    This article is an eye-opener! Who would have ever thought that being a garbage man (sanitation worker) could have so many risks? The wages they make really doesn't justify the work they do and the risk they put themselves in every day. I don't find it hard to believe roofers and construction workers have a high risk of injury considering how high up their jobs can take them. I'm already scared of driving next to truckers on the highway because of how fast they travel, the size of their vehicles and the things I hear on the news, but to learn that they have a high risk of injury and accidents makes it harder to believe there still truckers out there.
    I really don't understand the job of a logger. Could someone please explain?

    ReplyDelete
  85. Andremarie Jean
    4th period

    I think that this article makes you think. For instance if you were looking to do one of those kinds of jobs you may want to look up the death rate for it first. At first you were probably like you really want to be a fisherman for example but then when you read about it you would want to do as much as possible to keep yourself safe. Instead of you jumping right into the job. Also it makes you feel for the families that have husbands or wives doing these jobs, and you probably wouldn't want to put your family in that situation. Where their dad or mom, or husband or wife may not come home from work that day.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Parker Wodskow
    6th Period

    After reading this article I realized a lot of new things. Sanitation worker have so many interesting, but dangerous risks. I feel bad for the families and the workers for the every day things they have to do. I also agree that it's very hard for women to make $40,000. The death rate of fisherman is very fascinating once you see the rate. I know when I was young it was very dangerous to go fish.

    ReplyDelete
  87. Ashley White
    5th period
    I thought the article was very interesting. I thought the roofers article was the most interesting, because I thought the only thing that could happen to them is they could fall off but they can also get hurt by hot tar. I can’t believe those people do those jobs that are extremely dangerous for that little money. Also I would have never thought that fishermen would the top most dangerous job. I would thought construction worker would be higher, because they work in really dangerous and high place.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Raphael Laran
    5th Period

    This article is very interesting. It also makes a very good point. Of what people do everyday, they do risk they're lives. Mostly of those who go to work outside. At first, I thought construction workers would have the most fatality rate, because they work with dangerous machines. But now that I seen this article, I now get how fisherman would have the most fatality rate. Of the storms that past by when fisherman do there thing, they could get lost out see. Plus the freezing cold could take affect on them too. This article just now changed the way I think about these jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  89. I can conclude from this article that the people that work in the most dangerous situations make the least amount of money. Also these jobs are unskilled labor, manly that these people did not go to collage. Going to collage isn't an extra it is a necessity. I agree with Jessica saying "only" 4,340 people dying is a lot. I also would like to thank the people working these jobs for doing this which I know I wouldn't do, and risking there well being and there families well being.

    ReplyDelete
  90. K'Vonna Johnson
    5th period

    Whoa!This article was very interesting to read over. Some of the jobs mentioned I would have never even guessed to be dangerous.If I were them I would feel as if I deserved a pay raise. Only because everyday that I am going to work,I am risking my life. My opinion before I read this article was that the people risking their life everyday were the police officers, construction workers, and fireman. But I would've never guessed that being a fisherman was a dangerous job.

    ReplyDelete
  91. 4th period

    This article was interesting to me, because I didn't know that farming could be so dangerous. I also didn't know about many of these job titles. I want to know why these workers aren't getting paid as well as they should be for risking their lives, just because not all of them need a college degree to do what they do, doesn't make their job that less important. I'm also wondering why policemen and firefighters aren't on this list; I would think that they are risking their lives' everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  92. Matthew Louis
    6th Grade

    In my opinion, these jobs need to get done, but being that they are so dangerous and hazardous, they should be getting paid more than they do. The sad part about these people on these dangerous jobs is that, nobody is informed about the troubles and, the risks they face everyday until something happens to them and they wined up on the news. To me this is were the technology we have, and the technology that we will have in the future should step in, to make a safer environment for the Americans that work on these dangerous jobs and soon take over, under the command of a handful of experienced workers guild and supervisor the machines, putting no lives at risk.

    ReplyDelete
  93. 4th period

    I've seen shows such as "Deadliest Catch" and "American Loggers", and wonder why they would want to do something so insane but I guess somebody has to do it, Right? But still these people do these crazy things to make sure that we can have the best life possible and I just want to walk up them and shake their hands so I can thank them for everything they do. And I'm sure people above have the same opinion as me; over 4,000 people have died and they think its a good thing? How? Yes, I'm aware the toll has been higher but when the number drops to the 10's or the 100's then they can call it a good thing. On another note there is a saying: Life is all about taking risks. The men and women that do these jobs define life then because they are risking being with their families for a job. That's all i have to say.

    This is Capt. Awesome signing off

    ReplyDelete
  94. Richard Kimbrell
    6th Period

    This article is very interesting. I didn't know that sanitation workers were in that kind of danger by just picking up trash and stuff. It makes me wonder what I put inside my trash and what could happen if I put the wrong things inside there. This really shows you what can happen to any everyday worker that you don't think would ever have any danger to them at all. Over all this was a very good article.

    ReplyDelete
  95. Matthew Francis (period #4)September 5, 2010 at 8:45 PM

    I liked this article because many people think that jobs are boring, uneventful things that earn money and that's it, but to some people it's doing something you love even though by the end of the day you might not be able to return home. I use to fish during the summer and I might not of been operating heavy machines or being tossed over the edge of a boat ,but once a friend of mine got tangled in the net and was tossed over the deck and almost drowned but the area he threw the net out of was only 2 ft. deep. I must admit I think of it's awesome what these people do day in and day out these are your everyday heroes the people that make it for people like you and me life in luxury (in a way at least).

    ReplyDelete
  96. Jeffrey Jhingree
    4th period

    I enjoyed reading this article . I enjoyed it more than last weeks article. I was surprised to see that some of those jobs were on that list. Who knew that sanitation worker and farming and ranching would be dangerous.I think people should think twice before choosing their job. One thing they should definitly think about is the dangers of it.

    ReplyDelete
  97. This is interesting because it shows that the most dangerous jobs really don't pay well at all. It is very weird that we do not pay people more for risking their lives every day. I personally believe that if someone is risking their life they need to be compensated in some way. -Ryan Haines

    ReplyDelete
  98. This article is very interesting. It just goes to show you how insignificant we think that some jobs are. People are risking their lives at this very moment to do this for our world or community. Yet we just sit here. We don't realize the dangerous things those people go through everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  99. Jaison Mathew
    4th Period

    WOW! I knew these jobs were dangerous, but not that this many people died in them. I was suprised when I saw that truck driver and pilot were on the list. I never thought of them as dangerous jobs.I'm also suprised that farmers/ranchers were also considered dangerous. I mean honestly, who here thought farming was so hazardous to your health? Most of our parents work in office buildings, schools,or other places where there isn't a high possibility of a tree falling on them or a bulldozer running over them. It actually makes me feel a bit sad that these people still go to work knowing that the job they're doing could kill them in within seconds. I mean, someone has to pick up our trash or bring food to the supermarket. But why do they have to do it? Why are'nt we learning about being a contruction worker or a sanitation worker? It all comes down to people wanting to be better than others. Does anyone see people with Ph.D's repairing roofs?Personally I would be scared to death if I had to do most of these jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  100. Marcus Levine
    4th period

    You really can't compare Alaskan pilots to the rest of the world. The rest of America dosen't have that much fog, and most place don't have so many mountains, unless you live in Colorado(Interesting fact: Im wanting to join the Air Force Acadamy in Colorado). Im also a little suprised on how farmers are on that list. Even when it was explained to me, I still don't really see how truly dangerous it is.

    ReplyDelete
  101. Sean Nelson
    3rd Period

    Wow. Fisherman is the number one most dangerous job. Most people would think that that’s the least dangerous. I mean come on, you throw your rod in the water and wait for something to bite. But then you think about those TV shows like Deadliest Catch and what they’re out there doing in those rough seas. Then you understand why it's so dangerous, especially with all that equipment that can come around and seriously injure somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  102. 3rd period
    I must first give a round of applause to these people. I had no idea that jobs I considered "boring" had the highest death rate. Thanks to this article I know respect those people because they know just what they're getting into but still work any way. God keep you safe and keep working hard.

    ReplyDelete