Baton Rouge official pushes campaign against baggy pants
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Sept. 6, 2010
Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! BuzzFacebookStumbleUponEmail Close [X]BATON ROUGE, La.— A Baton Rouge Metro Council member wants the parish to support a public awareness campaign against men who wear their pants so low that their boxer shorts show.
Councilwoman C. Denise Marcelle has a slogan for the campaign: "Low pants, no chance."
"I hate to see it and I see so much of it in my district," Marcelle said. "It's disrespectful to the elderly, to young kids and to women."
Her resolution, on the agenda for discussion Wednesday, says wearing saggy pants creates negative stereotypes and that "those who wear saggy pants are hurting their chances of becoming employable, educated and productive citizens."
Marcelle said she'd like to pass a law allowing police to cite and fine people for wearing saggy pants that expose their underwear, but recognizes that constitutional issues prevent such a law.
A public-awareness campaign is the next-best thing to try to get these young men to hitch up their pants, she said.
Councilman Rodney "Smokie" Bourgeois and Councilwomen Donna Collins-Lewis and Ronnie Edwards say they support Mercelle's proposal.
"How are you going to get a job with your pants down around your knees?" Bourgeois asked.
However, Councilman Scott Wilson questioned whether young people would pay any attention to the campaign, and said proper dress is something that should be dealt with at home, rather than by the council.
The trend may be on its way out anyway, said Doze Y. Butler, professor of apparel, merchandising and textiles at Southern University.
Fewer men wore saggy pants last semester on the Baton Rouge campus, she said.
And, she noted, she saw a variant — MC Hammer-type pants — on a study tour to Europe. They're baggy and have low crotches, but the waistlines are high enough to cover underwear, Butler said.
"I think it's a trend that's finally moving on," she said.
Monday, September 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think people are reading too much into this. This article clearly states that this ordinance will interfere with constitutional rights. Namely freedom of expression. Sure they don't look great, but its their choice, they're choosing to be part of that stereotype. People are trying to control things that aren't their business. This is just another fad that will pass along, such as bell bottoms. They were popular pants in the 80's, but are they popular now? No. Same thing here.
ReplyDeleteBailey Banks
ReplyDelete6th Period
I think that making this a law would be going way to far. Yes, I do think that sagging at an extent should be adressed but I don't think that it should bother people so much, it should just be ignored. It's just one of those things in the world that many people dislike, but just have to live with. People who sag to the point where the beginning of their pants start at there knees are putting themselves at a disadvantage for jobs and etc. Honestly I don't think that the council should waste their time on things like this when there are more important things to be discussed.
I don't see whats so cool about baggy pants that are made to sag anyway. The people who do sag do it just to show off. Most of the time just for style. But I know if my mom ever saw me sagging I would get a scolding right there and then. Most of the time people sag to their thigh but when I was walking from my ELA class I saw a boy who was sagging down to his knees.
ReplyDeleteI hope the trend does move on cause I'm getting tired of seeing underpants almost everywhere I look in school.
Nick Mathai-6th period
Leah Ware 2nd Period
ReplyDeleteI think that saggy pants are an issue for the kid's parents. At school you might get in trouble, but if your parents think its alright then they probably won't care.I don't think there should be a law against it. I mean, I don't like seeing saggy pants everywhere I turn at school, but I don't think it's really necessary to make a law against it. I'm sure one day it won't be cool anymore and it will stop. I hope that day comes soon because I'm tired of seeing guys underwear.
I agree with this argument that they are having because in every class there is someone whose pants are low and it disrupts the whole class. They sag for popularity and to be the one person that stands out but that won't work because they're going to get written up anyways. Overall, I agree with this argument
ReplyDeleteMayur Patel
Period 4
AJ Baath
ReplyDelete6th Period
I also agree with this argument. Although it's funny to think that someone would be granted a certain social status by "how low they can go". But enough is enough, and if my Health teacher pauses to tell another person to pull their pants up...well yeah. I also hope this trend disappears, but to me it just seems people's pants are getting lower and lower by the day. Pull them pants up boy!
Sagging is someones choice they know the consequences and how they will be seen in the public eye. If someone wants to have there pants half way on thats cool because thats their choice and they are the ones who get the response from people in general. Personaly I believe its just another trend, and people don't even consider what it may mean or where sagging originates. Other than that the law is completely over the top. The campaign is coming from the wrong approach. If they want kids to pull up their pants they shouldn't say "you wont be able to get a job" because the rebel inside of us would say "who needs that?"
ReplyDeleteJessica Dove
ReplyDelete5th period
I agree with this article, but I don't think they should make a law against sagging. I think that takes it a little to far.
I also agree with Leah where she said that if the persons parents don't care, then the person sagging won't care.
I think that sagging is just a trend right now, and soon people will realize that its actually not that cool to show their underwear.
I agree with the argument. I think that it starts at home. The parents should start telling the kids that showing your underwear is not ok. Also, how can you learn if your worrying about your pants falling down? I think it should be a crime if you are sagging. It's a low degree of indecent exposure. As a person who doesn't sag, I don't want to see someone's underwear.
ReplyDeleteMyles Patterson
ReplyDelete4th period
I honestly do not understand what the deal is with people sagging their pants. Personally, I don’t do it and never plan on it. I know people that do it and see it everyday at school, or more realistically every couple minutes. I don’t like looking at other people’s butts or underwear, and that’s just the truth. I especially don’t like the fact that most people who sag their pants are African-Americans. I was told that the sagging trend actually started in prison, because when you go in, they confiscate your belt, and so your pants would hang low. Then when they are released from prison their pants still sag afterwards. How that’s fashionable and popular, I don’t know.
Kaitlyn Trei
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I think that the "trend" starts at home too, because their parents might not be really paying atention to what their children wear to school or out in public. I think that they could really pass a law against guys wearing sagging pants if they really believed in it. It would be hard to find a job if you do not dress right people may think that you might not work well for them either.
Andrew Aneke
ReplyDeleteMs.Scales 3rd Perod:
Sagging or baggy pants I beilieve is just a choice of the individual. I don't understand why there is such a big issue with it. Why is it only baggy or sagging pants that people have an issue with? People are complaining about sagging pants, but what about girls who wear short shirts that show all of their skin and bellybutton rings? Or girls who wear low v-cut shirts that show to much chest? I even see girls who have their underwear showing.I sag a little bit. I do think though that there are some guys who take it a little overboard by sagging to their knees and showing all of their underwear. I wear and undershirt and tuck it in so my underwear doesn't show. And as for the lady in the blog who said sagging can hurt your chances of being educated and a productive citizen, I totally agree. As long as you work hard, not even sagging can stop you from being what you want.
I also agree with the argument because I don't think sagging is cool and also more people starting doing it from a young age. Some people do it so they can be popular or something you don't need to do that so get friends or anything. I think people should stop.
ReplyDeleteSteffie Philip
6th Period
5th Period:)
ReplyDeleteI think that saggy pants are very weird and gross. I mean, who wants to see someones boxers? They're meant to be covered by the pants. It's mainly for style anyway. Thankfully a lot of guys don't sag. But sadly a lot do. All the time at school
I hear "Boy! Pull your Pants up!" or "Pull your Pants up Boy! No one wants to see that!" So I really hope it goes out of style because it's Stupid and not very cute.
Jay Shah
ReplyDelete6th period
Yes I finally got a post in before you Joseph!
Anyway I kind of agree with this but not completely because some people may like it. I think people are free to do what they want in malls and other independent areas. However, at school teachers make you pull your pants up if you're sagging and I don't think it should be done then. Or at least my old teachers did. Yeah, so I think they should be able to do what they want but if it is bothering other people and hurting their ability to learn or hurting/ insulting them, then you shouldn't do it. A law against this would be like a state deciding to ban chewing gum so the desks are cleaner or the area is cleaner. But then Singapore has already done that and many people still live there so you never know.
Anastasia Konik 5th period
ReplyDeleteI cannot even believe that the government attempted to pass a law about 'sagging' pants. If someone chooses to wear their pants in a unflattering fashion, so be it, but when the council takes time to settle why 'sagging' is hurting the education and job opportunities of others, it is ridiculous. I, personally, would be embarrassed to have mentioned to a state council that I think 'sagging pants are an issue', when there are MUCH worse crimes and issues to be settled with. They should defiantly focus on some top priorities and not a style trend that will soon fade.
This argument is legit. Wearing pants below your waist is embrassing because your dignity just hangs out. Who am I kidding, that's straight up unattractive, too! The connotations for people who sag are very much negative as well. A person who sags probably does not want respect. Adults at school repeatedly ask many kids to pull up their pants and they neglect to follow which speaks for themselves about their role models.
ReplyDeleteAmita Batra
ReplyDelete3rd Period
Saggy pants can sometimes be such a distraction! I completely agree with Nick Mathai and what he has to say about saggy pants. There is nothing so cool about them, and there should be some action towards saggy pants. Honestly, I don't know of anyone who likes to stare at someone's underpants or why anyone would like to show off their underpants. Pants are meant to be tied at the waist and that is where they should stay. I agree with what was said in the article about saggy pants being disrespectful. Saggy pants are disrespectful to anyone and everyone. Some form of action should be taken because a lot of kids do get by with sagging their pants at school. Kids are just setting themselves up for failure and rejection by sagging their pants and developing bad and disrespectful habits at an early age. For example, if someone walked into a formal job interview with their pants at their thighs, do you think that the job interviewer would want to hire that person? I know that I wouldn't and neither would anyone else! In my opinion, being stricter in school with saggy pants would gradually reduce the amount of people who wear saggy pants.
Keelie Steinke
ReplyDelete5th Period
I, personally, think that they are taking sagging pants way too seriously. If someone wants to place themselves out their like that, then let them do so. If they want to be seen negatively in the public, than that’s just their choice. Most of the time, people will get away with sagging because it does happen at home, so in a certain family there might be people that sag. So why would the child think it’s bad? It is ridiculous to think that we should pass a law for sagging pants because there are much worse crimes out there that police should be looking for, not just where the pants on a guy are.
I personally think saggy pants are out fashioned. My teacher once told me that her school mates used to do this when she was in high school. The year that she mentioned was in the 1960s. This trend has got to move along the other changes that we have gone through. I think may be if the school officials care less about this, students might feel less entertained by all these unnecessary fashion trends. According to human nature, something that is forbidden is always the first to be practiced. People think it’s cool to break laws and rules. I wish a time comes when everyone follows rules and regulations like what is expected from them.
ReplyDeleteI agree with this argument. Saggy pants are disturbing and no one wants to see half of somebody's butt. I honestly don't understand why people think its cool to sag. I agree with the fact that sagging is disrespectful and I would never feel right doing this. They will soon realize that they're not going to get a job in that attire. People who sag also don't care what others think though. They are only concerned with themselves not everyone around them.I think they should stop doing it in public areas.
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
ReplyDeleteI agree with this article and what it has to say about banning saggy pants. In my opinion, I think sagging pants should be banned all over school districts because like the articles said it very disrespectful and unpleasant to see someone's underwear! I really don't see the fashion in it and why people like it so much. If the schools take strict discipline with this people will stop sagging their pants. The numbers will decrease.
I thought that this article is hilarious! I am so happy that people are starting to stand up to this nonsense. I am sorry, but people do not like staring at you sponge-bob underwear while your trying to finish a test. And truthfully I find it utterly disrespectful. The other day I was getting my lunch in the lunch line. And this teacher tells the kid to pull his pants up (you could almost see more than underwear). So the kid gives a very mean look and pulls his pants up about an inch. Once he walks away, he then drops his pants down even lower! So the kid was punished for disobeying the teacher. I just think that saggy pants should be eliminated or should go out of style.... quickly!
ReplyDeleteChaz Talab 3rd period
I understand people hating baggy pants, but starting a campaign against it? That's going too far to me. Councilman Scott Wilson was right to question whether people would pay attention to the campaign. Most people wouldn't, and neither would I. If studies show that bagging pants are going away, then why bother continuing the campaign?
ReplyDeleteDaniel Thai
Period 5
Personally I think it's a little far to try to make a law aginst saggy pants, I mean NO I don't like to have to look at guys underwear all the time. It's a trend, and all trends have to end sometime, maybe in a couple years maybe now. The people that want to have campaigns and stuff like that, it might help, it's just you can't just make it go away like, POOF, it's gone, in reality that doesn't happen. I guess it is just something that has to end on it's own.
ReplyDeleteTiffany Garcia
ReplyDelete5th period
Is making a law about how you wear your clothes - whether they are saggy pants or not, really defining the problem? Do we actually need a dress code for the work place? I do think that some guidelines about how we dress needs to be talked about, and even in the way we pass laws, but really, Is this going to determine if you get a job or not? I thought the reason you would get a job would be based on your qualifications. Of course, first impressions are very important, and if being sloppy in how one dresses is a statement about the person, then baggy pants are a statement about sloppy people. I really don't know how a fashion statement really determines job qualifications, or if it should be against the law. People can wear clothes the way they want to wear them, and if they know they are being sloppy, they need to understand that with that kind of first impression, they won't have a good chance of getting the job. So really it is a two way street, dress the way you want to, but know that it will affect the outcome and impression that some people have of you.
Alvin Mei
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I think this would've been a great law. People that sag are not profession, and is a bad influence to children. It shows that these men are not adequate, and irresponsible, therefore, nobody will be willing to hire them. Unlike the people who do not sag, shows that they are neat and has manners to find a job and have a life.
Hold on a second I think it’s not right to be forced to wear something that you want to wear it’s like taking away your freedom of speech, right to vote, and your right of religion. We s people have the right to do as we please in this country of ours. Its pretty much discrimination on a widespread scale. The founders of this nation of ours allowed us to have our basic rights that are available to us. It’s not like I like sagging, but it’s forcing it against us without our will and consent. At first starts of small like a minor loss of rights such as not allowing us to do something. Then it targets a group of people and makes them lose rights. Then after that there is a continued growth of decreased rights. Then we finally end up as a Dictatorship or Communist controlled country leaving us at an all time low. It all started with Nazis and then ended in WW2 and the loss of billions of lives. So stop it right here.
ReplyDeleteJenny Chang
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I agree that people have the right to wear whatever clothes they want. However, sagging and showing underwears is not a very pleasant sight for some people, and it's not appropriate for school either. I feel uncomfortable when I see people sagging and their underwears showing. I hope the campaign works.
Deara Mayo
ReplyDelete5th period
I agree witht the official in the artical. I think sagging is pointless. No one wants to see your boxers hanging out of your pants dude! Boxers go underneath pants where we can't see them.I hope that sagging is banished very soon. It's kind of distracting.It's not a good first impression either.
I believe that sagging is gross and a bit of a problem but does there really need to be a law against it? Sagging is disrespectful and I am not at all in favor of it but the way someone dresses is their decision. Everybody should be able to choose how they want to look, even if they don't choose so wisely. I think that people who sag should just be given a verbal warning; somebody needs to tell them that underwear is meant to be covered, not out for the world to see.
ReplyDeleteSean Kelly
ReplyDelete2nd period
I completely agree with this article. I mean who honestly thinks they look good with their pants all the way at your knees. I dont even know why this trend started, maybe people just wanted others to see their underwear. But honestly it was never a "cool trend". I think people should just wear their regular clothes and just follow the simple rules of dress policy.
Cortney Corley
ReplyDelete4th Period
I agree with many of the people who commented before me. Sagging pants are just a trend! It's the persons own choice how they choose to dress and how they make an impression on other people. I find it unnecessary to make a law about it. For example, some people may not like skinny jeans because they think they might "be too tight". But no one is making a law about that. It's the same issue with low cut shirts. When I saw this article it made me want to laugh because they are making such a big deal out of sagging pants when there are other more important issues out there.
Whoever said saggy baggy pants are good, they don't know what they are talking about. Obvioulsy they support this hideous, ugly, obscene trend. Why would anyone in their right minds show off their underwear. It is called underwear because you are supposed to WEAR it UNDER your pants. Not above them. Yeah Baton Rouge for being the first place to do this!
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
I totally agree with Lloyd on this. I don't like sagging, but its their choice. Making a law against it would go against our freedom of expression. This is just a serious overreaction to something that will only last for a couple of years.
ReplyDeleteChris Bready
ReplyDelete6th period
I think people wear their pants low because they want to get attention. They feel this is the only way they can get it. Even though I think saggy pants are an issue, they don't need to create a law against it. I think those people who wear saggy pants will only be able to get a job with their pants worn right.
Francescha Rundle
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I agree with the article. Having to see sagging pants everyday can really become annoying. Even so, I believe that there should not be a law against it. If boys want to look unatractive and sloppy, then so be it. It is their own fault that they think they are cool and "hip". Did you guys know that this kind of style came from prison? That would make others aware of a boy. Nobody wants to be looked at as a criminal. Well, either way, I hope that one day in the future sagging will go away... for good.
Myles Patterson
ReplyDelete4th period
To add on to what I said earlier, the law is a bit overkill. I can also agree with what some of the others above me said, its just a trend. Surely enough, it'll fade out.
Great comments for both sides of this issue so far. I do want to throw this question out there: Do you think more guys would quit sagging if girls would quit giving them any attention at all until they quit sagging? As teachers we have had similiar conversations. I am wondering about what you think!
ReplyDeleteCharlene Sigua
ReplyDelete4th Period
I think that this law shouldn't be accepted. I agree that sagging is unprofessional and odd. And I agree to the fact that many guys go way overboard with how low their pants are that it practically shows their underpants. But there being a law for something like this, just seems silly. As many others have already said: It's a trend, someday it won't be "cool" anymore, and will eventually disappear from society.
Megan Scott 2nd period
ReplyDeleteI just knew we were going to blog about something like this sooner or later! Truth be told, it annoys me to no end, honestly since when has underwear been so amazing that it should be visibe all the time?! A law banning saggy pants is as equally outrageous, how can you fine someone for wearing their clothes dumbly? People would just argue that it's against their rights and make a big deal out of it and try to act like their the victims of some grave injustice. Honestly just pull up your pants people. It's so simple.
KAYLAH MOORE 2
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with what Megan Scott said. I also think its ridiculous to wear your pants so low that your draws are showing; you might as well not even wear pants at all. But no matter how ridiculous it is, it's people's choice if they want to look crazy. I don't think that the councilmen and women should make such a big deal about it. Like what Megan said people are going to argue their rights. They need to be worried less about sagging pants and more about dangerous issues in their district.
Melvin Valimattathil
ReplyDelete6th period
I agree with you Nick, my mom would have scolded me to if she ever caught me sagging.
I do not think that they should make it a law for such a small thing but what I do agree on is that it is very disrespectful to show your underpants in public and to other children and adults.It is just bad manners that your parents should correct.
The trends these days are constantly changing, so they can't put a specify rule to ban something. I will admit that most of those guys don't have a job, but it can be for other reasons as well. Plus, guys these days are getting smarter about sagging and are wearing a second pair of shorts, that shouldn't be a problem if they can't see their boxers. Ms. Scales you do have a point, if girls didn't notice those things guys wouldn't do it, but it's really hard walking to class and not notice a guy's bright underwear stick out of their dark clothing. Honestly it has become the normal these days so not many girls care to look, but I mean come on how is a guy suppose to take you on a date if he can't afford a belt? Not trying to hate on them, but seriously no girl would think different of you guys.
ReplyDeleteTara Phillips 6th period
PANTS ON THE GROUND
ReplyDeletePANTS ON THE GROUND
LOOKIN LIKE A FOOL WITH YOUR PANTS ON THE GROUND
2nd Period
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion I think that the only reason people wear their pants low because, they think its cute. Obviously all they are trying to do is get some attention. No one wants to see your undergarments, and I really think parents should talk more intensely and forcefully to the children about wearing a belt and tightening it. Sagging pants are an absolute disgracing to parents because, it makes it seem like parents don't have any control over their children. This should really come to an end. To prevent this from happening in the future.
Samantha Twardowski
ReplyDelete3rd period
Trends come and go in current days, and the sagging pants is very disrespectful and there is no reasonable explanation for it. In the article it said that "It's disrespectful to the elderly, to young kids and to women." I totally agree with this, because if kids see older kids sagging, then younger kids are going to want to follow and do the same. As a response to Mrs. Scales question, I believe that if girls would stop being "attracted" to this then they would stop sagging. The main reason for boys sagging their pants is to get the girls attention, which I do not understand at all. In conclusion, I believe tht one day boys will stop sagging because like most trends it will get old and girls won't like it anymore.
Matthew Louis
ReplyDelete6th period
I agree, sagging is a disgraces to their parents. Its sad, nasty, and not smart. Most people who sag don't even know where sagging originated and means and, I think if they did most of them would stop. For kids sagging really has know point they just do it because they think its cool. I believe it should be against the law to sag.
Emily Panozzo
ReplyDelete4th Period
Sagging is a trend that is seen everywhere we look today. Sagging is a way to show off how cool you are. I don't know who came up with the idea, but alot of people seem to abide by that concept. My personal oppinion, it is innapropriate. The majority of us don't want to see your briefs taking a breather. Yes, it is America and yes it is a personal choice but what harm is there to putting some limitations on sagging. I'm not saying a law of any sort but maybe some restrictions as to where you can and cannot sag. I think we could all benefit from a no sagging zone in say school athletic games or restaurants. Does anyone agree?
You know what I think? Guy's wear their pants down because of peer pressure. In this time period, if your not sagging, you are a nerd and you are not "cool". Because of this, I don't think we should tackle down on this issue, but on peer presuuse. When you focus on the negativity of peer pressure, you can fix a number a issues in our society today. I think we should invest into more tv commercials to speak out aganst negativity in peer pressure. To answer your question Ms. Scales, yes. I think if girls stop giving guys attention about their sagging pants it would slow down, if not stop, the sagging issue. Because guys have a since of attraction to girls, they will do almost whatever they can to find a date. Here's a formula, if girls change positively, it will have an effect for guys to change positively. If girls change negativley, it will have an effect for guys to change negatively.
ReplyDelete-Justin Johnson
6 period
Fifth Period
ReplyDeleteHonestly I am glad that this is happening. I hate it when I'm walking in the hallway and I see a dozen guys with their under-pants clothing showing. It's not cool and it really pollutes some people's eyes. I totally agree that nobody would hire someone with their pants at their knees. It's just disrespectful to others and society. Hopefully the next trend will be somewhat better than the sagging.
Fifth Period
ReplyDeleteI think that sagging is definitely a problem. It's great that everybody is finally aware it and that the trend is moving on. Underwear and boxers should only be seen in the undergarments section of a clothing store. Not in the streets. Hopefully the next trend will not be as strange as this one.
Ashley White
ReplyDelete5th period
I agree with this article to a point. I think sagging pants needs to stop, but making it a law is going a little to far. Every five seconds a teacher is saying, “ Pull up your pant boy” or “ boy stop sagging”. It gets very annoying. Yes it’s ugly and stupid, but it’s just a trend and eventually will go away. And I can’t wait for that day.
Brandon Psencik
ReplyDelete3rd period
I think that sagging is ridiculous. I mean who do you think you are if you think that people enjoy seeing your butt. Come on people get a life. I do think that there needs to be some law or a rule in school that requires you to pull your pants up before you coome in. Personally they need to stop worrying about ripped jeans because you show more when you sag.I like the question that Ms.Scales asked about what would happen if girls payed no attention to guys who sagged. I think they would by belts that night. They might even by 2.
I agree with many others that making this a law would be blowing it out of proportion. I think the parents need to deal with the problem if they have a conflict with it. I think it is up to the individual whether they want to look respectable or not. -Ryan Haines period 2
ReplyDelete5th
ReplyDeleteI think that sagging is one of the worst clothing ideas ever created. With that said, there are Constitutional rights in place that allow for "freedom of expression", and I guess this could be in that category. I just think it's sad that my generation has stooped to such rebellion that they have to show it even in jeans. I see throughout the school how low the moral standards are and I just sigh. I don't think that there should necessarily be a law about it, but something needs to definately be done.
Carolyne Lu
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
I think that sagging is a big problem, but it's not so big that there needs to be a law against it. I mean, it's not like they're hurting anyone. Physically, anyway. Mentally, maybe. BUT, aside from that, some people just think it's cool to do so, and so be it. For the others who know better then it's their advantage. And for the people who think sagging is going to hurt their future and their opportunities, sure, it probably will, but who are we to tell them if they're not going to listen? If they won't listen then let them learn from their own mistakes. We need to make laws against more important things, not sagging.
Amita Batra
ReplyDelete3rd Period
In reply to Ms. Scales's question, I would have to say yes. Yes, guys would stop sagging their pants if girls stop giving them attention. But I think that in reality, that is not very likely to happen. However, I think that if girls did stop giving the guys who sag attention, the sagging would drastically drop.
Jaison Mathew
ReplyDelete4th Period
I think I am agreeing with most people when I say that this trend will eventually go out. Just like skinnny jeans eventually faded out years ago(I know they're back), baggy clothing will too. It won't go out like instantly. Eventually people will be like "Well that was a stupid trend....Why did I wear my clothes like that again?" I don't think they should make a law against it though, because that will probably make more people start saggin' just to rebel against the law. This is sorta inappropriate, but does anyone know what saggin' actually means? I won't explain it on here, but if everyone knew what it really meant, I doubt many people would still be wearing baggy clothing today. Sagging clothing actually originated in prison because criminals aren't allowed to have belts,shoe laces, etc. so that they can't kill themselves or strangle others. Because they didn't have anything to hold up their pants up, they would pull their pants down to represent something which is inappropriate to talk about on here. But like I said earlier, this trend will eventually go out so I don't see the point in making laws against it.
Nicolas Alba
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I strongly agree with this argument that they are having because in every class there is someone whose pants are low. It disrupts the whole entire class. They sag for popularity and to be the one person that stands out. That won't work because they're going to get written up anyways. I agree 100% with this argument.
Gabriel Camera
ReplyDelete6th period
I think that people should do whatever they want with their pants. I mean is their choice. If the people that sag want people to see their underwear, then they can do it. But the real reason that the people sag is because thats what the jail makes people to do, so they don't run away. So, people think that they are cool if they sag.
I feel that Denise Marcelle is overreacting in this situation. Sagging is an insignificant trend in our culture right now. She is giving an inordinate amount of attention to a problem that is not really a problem at all. Most people have enough sense to dress properly when they go to job applications and those that don't have it probably don't deserve the job. However sagging is fine up to a certain point. Showing just a little underwear is not really a problem, but dropping your shorts to the floor and going out in public is self derogatory.
ReplyDeleteJade Martin
ReplyDelete4th period
I think that sagging pants shouldn't be allowed in school. I guess on the streets it's ok but not to the point where it is innopropriate. Many people think it's cool but sometimes it gets to the point where everyone gets tired of seeing sagging pants. A law against it is a little much but i do agree with how people should respect the women and kids.
Lillian Cancino
ReplyDelete3rd period
I Agree with Ashley and Francescha, sagging is very unproffesional. It is a trend that you would think is payed less attention to, but it's not. Sagging has become a big part of this life not only because a lot of the guys do it, but because some girls encourage it. I think that it would be a good idea for girls no to pay any attention to guys who sag that way they can realize that it's dumb and they shouldn't do it. I do think that making a law against it would be unnecessary though. I think guys might change the way they dress if they won't get a girl friend because they are sagging.
Emily Panozzo
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I don't think that a law should be passed to stop sagging, but I do think there should be restrictions on where it is permited to sag and where it isn't. Sagging is distracting, rude, and flat out gross. It is bothersome to me when I go to a restaurant and see someone's underwear hanging out of their pants. I think that it is a way of saying "I don't care" and it is just plain sloppy. So, it would be nice for there to be strict no sagging zones. To answer Ms. Scales' other question, I think it would help if girls stop giving guys who sag attention but it won't comletely go away until the cool kids say it is out. But until that happens, I'm thinking sagging is here to stay.
4th period
ReplyDeleteI think that it would be stupid to make a law about this. You can't tell someone how they should dress. They have to be aware that this is hurting their chance of employment, and that's their choice to dress like that and stay unemployed. I disagree with Anthony, I wouldn't say it's disgracing the parents, but it's rather making a fool out of the person doing the sagging. (Parents are only an influence in a child's life, but that child eventually will have to make decisions, and teenagers are especially going to rebel).
3rd Period
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting topic, even though it seems a bit unnecessary. Of course, sagging is a huge trend, but like all trends its going to die sooner or later. Still, teachers and people are taking this seriously since they want these people to understand that life is not a joke. Many trends, like sagging, are just another form of keeping things laid back and relaxed, but life is not laid back, it really is demanding. A person has to take things seriously and work hard to survive in this world, and appearing that you don't take things seriously is not going to improve your status with other people who would rather not have to pay for your welfare just because you were too laid back to do work. Of course, not every sagger is carefree but many people who sag are considered by companies and the general public as a nuisance, and a person who will not do their part to help or work with others. However, this law may not even work against stopping people from sagging, as schools don't catch people who wear their 'pants to the ground,' but it is a good idea to 'try' to make people understand life's harsh reality so that they don't make the same mistakes other people made.
Merin Mathew
ReplyDeleteperiod 6th
I guess if they try to ban it will be against one of the constitution law. It is just a fad that will eventually be gone like 80's fashion. I believe that it is disrespectful and shows bad manners. Sagging pants is not a way to tell if people are successful or not. It just how they look and it has nothing to do with intelligence.
Jeffrey Jhingree
ReplyDelete4th period
I agree with many people above. I do not like to see boys with their pants halfway down at school or anywhere. Yes it is disturbing to look at boy's boxers, but they do not have to make a law for saggy pants. There are consequences for sagging, such as not getting a job or getting punished at school. Hopefully they will realize that if they want a job, then they will have to stop sagging. People who sag think that it is cool and just want attention.
6th period.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this article, I was kind of debating whether or not they should pass a law over sagging pants. I mean, I get aggravated hearing the teachers say to the guys in school, “Pull up your pants, boy!” or “No one wants to see your superman underwear.” But I guess I would have to agree with the comments above saying that it is the style/trend these days. The people who do sag probably won't be hired right away but if their role model at home would act like one, then they should tell their kids that it's disrespectful to sag in public. Hopefully one day people will learn to pull up their pants. Also, I’m pretty sure that NO girl wants to be checking out her crush’s colorful boxers.
Katrina Gasataya
ReplyDelete3rd Period
Like the majority of others, I also agree with the pin point of this article. I honestly don't like seeing guys sag. Without a doubt, I'm sure the teachers and administrators get annoyed of telling guys to pull up their pants. I don't see how kids don't get the point. Like the article says, they make their selves look bad. Other than those points, onwards with the future law making on sagging.
Katrina Gasataya
ReplyDelete3rd Period
To my post earlier, now that I think about it, I don't really think it should be a law. Thinking deeply about this, like everyone else said, it's just a trend. Sooner or later, people are just going to ignore the fact that they're just doing it for the attention.
Sarah Raines
ReplyDelete4th period
Well I have to agree with Mercelles on the saggy pants. I do think it's direspectful and kind of a trashy look. However I do think passing a law against dress code is a little extreme. If they are in school and it's that serious they can just go to the principles office or something, but fining or aresting someone for doing something they find "fashionable" is out of the question for me. I also agree with buttler I think it is kind of fading. Last year I remember practicaly everyone wore underwear rather than pants now I dont see it as much.
Ranaill Davis
ReplyDelete5th period
I agree and disagree with this article. I agree that actions need to be taken as far as boy's boxers showing because somethings are just too far,like making a law about it,too far. Also if you think about it all the things teens do is either a phase or a trend it will eventually fade. Then teachers and parents will have something different to worry about.
Marissa Moss
ReplyDelete5th period
I think that making a law about sagging pants is ridiculous. I don't think that guys are doing it for attention, but because of just downright laziness! And even if they were doing it for attention, then people would need to stop paying them attention, which is exactly the opposite of what these council members are doing. Obviously any well educated person isn't going to intentionally have their underwear showing, and the ignorant person who does is going to further their ignorance by continuing to sag, because they are getting attention from it. So I believe the best solution is to leave it alone and stop addressing it, and let them get tired of looking like idiots.
Victoria Hackney
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I do agree that sagging pants are not cool! I'm sorry but I really don't need to know what underwear you are wearing. In the same respect I do not think we need to make it a law that you can not sag! That is just taking it way to an extreme. If someone is going to choose to sag and have their pants falling off and having to walk like a penguin then let them look like the fool, because if you are going to dress like that then you deserve that.
Sagging is a fad today, just as Levi 501's were the a fad of the 80's. Fads come and go, they die out extreemely fast when people lose interest into them. When the "next best" style comes out, sagging won't be as common of a fashion. Also, our generation, like all generations, will grow up and mature more. Our preference of style might change then.
ReplyDeleteJae Phan Period 4
Saimol Edaparampil
ReplyDelete3rd period
I agree with this article. I don't think that there should be people sagging their pants and show their butt to the whole world. but I also don't think that they should have a law against it either because then there would just be too many fines and too many people walking in and out of the courthouse.
I think wearing your pants down is disrespectful and we should make a law about it. It is a violation to themselves and to the nation as a whole!
ReplyDeleteJustin Johnson
6 period
Samantha Martin
ReplyDelete5th period
I have to agree that sagging is distracting and disrespectful but, we have to understand that it is just a trend and it will go away on its own. You can't force people to do something they don't want to do. Pretty soon this trend will be replaced with something else.
Jeauxbert Fields
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
Sagging is purely a choice for anyone to make. If one was to choose to sag, they should understand the consequences that could befall them. But just because one dislikes the idea of sagging, doesn't mean that everyone else shouldn't sag. They have to understand that every person should have the right to wear what ever they want. To have respect for others choices is more important than any self belief.
Raphael Laran
ReplyDelete5th period
I both agree and disagree with this article. People have the right to dress how they want. Some people want to sag their pants, but some people think it's stupid. People can't judge other people on how they look. Personally, I don't like sagging, but it just depends on the person.
Ervin Ricasio
ReplyDelete5th Period
I agree that saggy pants are disrespectful to elders and children. I think they are doing to get attention by showing off their under garments. Kids’ sagging their pants is completely unnecessary. That tells us that their parents don’t care. People who sag at school get in trouble, but constantly keep doing it after they have been warned. One day people will think that sagging isn’t really that cool.
Brandon psencik
ReplyDelete3rd period
I believe that sagging pants is ridiculous and imature. For one reason I don't understand why someone would think it is cool to sag your pants so that everybody can see your rear. I personally like the idea that ms. Scales posted asking what would happen if girls didn't pay attention to guys who sagged. What people also need to remember is that its not always the guys who sag, some girls sag as well. In both cases it is kind of a trend that doesn't look good.
Neethu George
ReplyDelete3rd period
I agree that sagging pants are not right and needs to stop. But I think that making it into a law is going a little too far. They should focus on more important things like education and jobs. Sagging pants are eventually going to go away. In the meanwhile we should ignore them.
Prerna Kamnani
ReplyDelete4th Period
I agree with the argument. Almost every boy at school is sagging. I am tired of seeing boy's butts and underwear hanging out of their pants and in my face. Teachers are constantly saying, "Pull your pants up." It has no effect on boys. Although I agree with the argument, I do not agree with the fact that the Councilwoman Marcelle wanted to fine people for sagging. That goes against our Constitutional rights. Hopefully, sagging will be a trend that will eventually disappear.
Aileen Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
While I agree that sagging one's pants is highly disrepectful and distracting, I also feel that creating a law against it would be uneccessary, People have the right to choose how they dress. It's their way of expressing their own style. And if the trend is already starting to die out, then just wait until it does.
Ann Lobo
ReplyDelete5th Period
Honestly, I agree and disagree with the citizen's of Baton Rouge are saying about saggy pants. I agree about the fact that saggy pants is something that does not look good, and to me, it's VERY informal. If I were a person who sagged, I would most DEFINITELY not sag for events that important, like job interviews. One thing that I disagree with is the fact that people are banning sagging. Some people are more comfortable with sagging. And there would be a HUGE protest if the law banned sagging. In conclusion, I wouldn't mind if people sagged, but banning it would be just harsh.
Cody Hajek 3rd period
ReplyDeleteI think that trying to make this a law is ridiculous. I also think that this lady needs to mind her own business. Whoever wears their pants low chooses to and they know what some people think, they aren't oblivious. Who cares if it effects that they get a job, if they know this and still go into the interview with their pants low chances are they wouldn't make a good worker anyway, and thats just the cold truth. Also, the whole elderly thing makes no sense because if they are honestly offended by seeing men's boxers then wouldn't they also be offended by the teenage girls in our society? I can walk down the street right now and see at least one girl whose bra or bra strap is clearly visible so this argument doesn't even make sense. I mean if someone cares about other people succeeding in life so bad what about all the other things that don't get you jobs? A family friend is a manager and he hires people everyday and always says that if a person has multiple tattoos, piercings, a weird hairstyle, underdressed, and many more things, it's an automatic red flag because it gives the company a bad look. So sagging is no bigger or smaller then all of those things, it's just a trend. I don't remember anyone trying to ban big hair back in the old days? This argument will never stop until sagging does which I don't really care if it does because it doesn't effect me. It's their lives and they can do what they want. We should stop trying to control all of the little things . . . end of story. (and by the way I don't sag in my everyday life so there is nothing biased here)
Shahab Khorshidpanah 6th period
ReplyDeleteI agree and disagree on this article. I like this article because it states a good point, and it is true. But we cannot control what other people do or wear. They have a right to wear there pants like that, yes its distracting and unflattering and probably uncomfortable for people who have to see there underwear, but thats there choice and there really is nothing we can do about it.
Alajuawa Davis
ReplyDelete2nd period
I think people shouldn't look if they don't won't to see other people's pants. I think its stupid to pass a law over someone else's clothing. This wouldn't affect me because I wear my pants up, so it wouldn't make a difference. But the part that does concern me is how people could get a job if their pants are down. They wouldn't want their employees sagging. If they don't get the job then people would be just sitting around the house doing nothing. Some people might end up trying to rob stores because they have no money. That's what I think.
Grace Bonojo
ReplyDelete4th period
I think sagging is a personal decision. If a guy or girl (believe it or not some girls do sag) wants to sag then go ahead but they should be aware that people are going to judge them for it. To actually try and make it a law that people can't sag is ridiculous! Just because you’re tired of seeing some one's underpants doesn't mean you should make it a law for them not to express their sense of fashion. If too many girls walked around showing their navel do you think it should be a law for all girls to never show their navel?
Grace Bonojo
ReplyDelete4th period
I think sagging is a personal decision. If a guy or girl (believe it or not some girls do sag) wants to sag then go ahead but they should be aware that people are going to judge them for it. To actually try and make it a law that people can't sag is ridiculous! Just because you’re tired of seeing some one's underpants doesn't mean you should make it a law for them not to express their sense of fashion. If too many girls walked around showing their navel do you think it should be a law for all girls to never show their navel?
Carolyne Lu
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
I personally dislike sagging, but I don't think there should be a law against it. Sure, it might affect their chances of getting a job, but that's their choice so they should know their consequences. Sagging doesn't hurt anyone but the saggers so why should we care? We should focus on more important matters and make laws against things that actually harm society.
First of all I just wanted to say that the MC Hammer pants are most definitely not attractive. But about the topic, yes Ms.Scales I do think that the boys would stop sagging if girls paid them no attention. I think sagging pants is not only a sign of disrespect for others but also for yourself. I was once told that sagging pants comes from the prison mentality. So boys be wise of how you carry yourself.
ReplyDeleteRhea Cruse, Period 5
Dane Gantt
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I agree with most of the comments before mine. Sagging your pants is their decision, the people who do it know what it means and obviously don't care. Something like sagging your pants should not be made into a huge arguement. There should be no protests or attempts for awareness because nothing will happen, people will continue to sag their pants for as long as they want to.
Aman Gupte
ReplyDeleteperiod 6
I don't think it should matter what you wear and how you were it as long as its not too exposing. Every generation has their own style to do things, for example, way back when men wore pants a little short from the bottom so their socks could be seen. Well now when we thing about it, we think it looks funny. The same way, sagging is going to move on with the next generation.
Mishi Jain
ReplyDeleteperiod 2
I think that sagging your pants should be banned. Why should anyone sag their pants? It's not attractive at all in any way. Another reason sagging your pants should be banned is because it is disrespectful to themselves, their peers, and their teachers. I also think they should ban sagging pants because it is not disciplinary. You have to be dressed properly to be disciplined.
K'Vonna Johnson
ReplyDelete5th period
Do I like that fact that guys sag?
No, not all,but I think that taking it to the law is going a little too far. In my opinion,its a waste of their time.They could be working on something that's more important to the community.Also people are going to do what they please whether you like it or not.
I'd also like to comment on Rhea's post. Most guys know where it comes from but they still seem to do it anyways.So what's the point of them knowing or not knowing if they choose to do the same thing?
Jessica Winterman Period 2.
ReplyDeleteI believe sagging is very annoying. I mean who really wants to see some guys undies or their basketball shorts under their jeans? I know I don't. I believe that making it illegal is going a little bit too far though. I also think since it's against school dress code and guys still do it, they just pull up their pants when they see a strict teacher. Making this a "law" is definitely not needed.
Dylan Allotta
ReplyDelete5th
It's their choice. People who sag their paints are well aware of the stereotype they put out for themselves. If doing this prohibits them from getting a job, thats the consequence they have to deal with. Anyway almost all jobs have dress codes, so I don't see the viability in that argument at all. It nonsense to me. Personally, I choose not to dress like that. Not only because its uncomfortable to me, but as well as the reputation I choose to put out for myself. But really, I don't understand those who want complain about it. As I see it, it's your fault for looking. Then you might say, "well it's hard not to see." No. If you don't want to see it, don't look. Just as you wouldn't watch a horror show on TV if you did not want to see it. If it bothers someone so much, they should just let people have to deal with the consequences for sagging than make it a problem of your own. And also in no way do I believe it is disrespectful to elders or truly anyone. If it is disrespectful to anyone it is to the person doing it.
And to answer the question asked by Ms. Scales, I don't think most people sag for girls attention. It's possible for some reason that it's the reputation they want to put out for themselves. Or, it's more of a OMG moment for guys. Similar to people who obsess over shoes and such, and OMG you don't have them? Im sure this is why many people sag. To either impress or fit in to a group of people. Either way, I don't agree with any of it. Not sagging, not getting people to stop sagging, and being so annoyed or offended by sagging.
Well, I have lived in New Orleans, LA and Baton Bouge for a little while. I can honestly say that saggy pants is definetely a problem in Baton Rouge but it's a problem in many other places around the world. I believe that trying to pass a law to prevent it ould be going a little bit too far and that honestly wouldn't stop men from sagging. I am not a fan of sagging and it stereotypes males in a negative way. People sag to impress others and because they think that they are impressing a girl but they really aren't. This article was very interesting.
ReplyDeletePersonally I sag too, but not all the way down to my knees. I might have to disagree with this article because I don't see anything wrong with sagging, although it just depends on how low you wear your pants. It is also just a personal choice to sag and nobody can stop them, however you can always try and prevent it.
ReplyDeleteJoe James 6th Period
Chasidy Twine
ReplyDelete2nd period
I think sagging is going to be around for a long time. No matter how many laws they pass, or how often people say its disrespectful, men will still do it. Its a part of there daily routine: wake up , bursh your teeth , put on clothes and pull down pants. When somebody does something everyday since there 12 , then no fine is going to stop them. So yes I support the law, but I know that it will not follow through.
Sean Nelson
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think sagging is stupid and wrong. But I disagree that it should become a law. That's just going a little too far. It is disrespectful and rude, but making a law is a bit overboard. It should be discouraged and schools should still keep making disciplinary action for people who sag, but a law is too far. Sagging is just another trend that will go away like big hair and groovy t-shirts.