Pakistanis Push Trade, Not Just Aid, After Flooding
Washington Post
By NAHAL TOOSI
FAISALABAD, Pakistan -- This eastern Pakistani city is known for the roar of its power looms and the buzz of its sewing machines. Now, following massive floods that devastated the cotton crop, another noise is threatening to drown those out: the pleas of a struggling textile industry begging the U.S. and Europe to open their markets further.
It's a tough sell in the West, where the economic slowdown has left governments skittish about concessions that could cost jobs or votes. The European Union has agreed to tariff cuts, but only temporary ones. The United States, where control of Congress is at stake in elections next month, is avoiding them altogether, touting instead its billions in taxpayer-funded humanitarian aid.
But Pakistan argues that trade, not aid, will deliver long-term economic stability and also help combat terrorism by giving poor youths an alternative to joining militant movements: money and jobs.
The country's textile industry, which employs more than 10 million people and produces more than half of its $19 billion in annual exports, has been hit hard by electricity and natural gas shortages, inflation and deteriorating security conditions in the past three years. Then, this summer's floods wiped out 2 million bales of cotton.
"Obviously, we're very worried, because we could lose our jobs at any time," said M. Shahid Malik, a 30-year-old father of three who stood soaked in sweat from running power looms. "We have to work so we can meet our living expenses."
Workers in Faisalabad weave, dye, sew, fold and package colorful bed sheets, clothes and other goods destined for stores from Wal-Mart in the United States to Carrefour in Europe.
Some companies expect to reduce production by as much as 30 percent because of the cotton shortage. They may have to raise prices to stay afloat, though that would hurt them in international markets.
"We will try to survive, but it will be very difficult for us, " said Sohail Pasha, chief executive of Riaz Enterprises, who expects his company will export about $21 million worth of curtains, bedding and other goods this year, down from its usual $25 million.
U.S. and European lawmakers say they support the concept of giving Pakistan more market access.
In mid-September, the European Union pledged to waive tariffs temporarily on key Pakistani imports, a move that could be worth $290 million to $380 million a year. But businessmen here are skeptical the final deal will help much.
America, Pakistan's largest trading partner, has been the more frustrating ally, industry leaders say.
The U.S. has proposed creating "reconstruction opportunity zones" in Pakistan's militant-ridden northwest. Goods made in those zones would be given lower tariffs and other trade preferences. But it would do little to help the textile industry in Pakistan's heartland.
Even that legislation is stuck in the Senate, with little prospect of emerging while the U.S. unemployment rate hovers near 10 percent.
Pakistan has allies, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, that want to expand the reconstruction zone legislation to cover the entire country, or at least the area hit by the floods.
Such proposals face stiff opposition from the American textile and apparel industry, which has lost more than 250,000 jobs - more than one-third of its work force - since 2004, according to the National Council of Textile Organizations.
"At a time when America is struggling to recover from the worst economic downturn in 80 years, and with national unemployment at historic levels, the last thing that the Obama administration should consider is a proposal that destroys critical manufacturing jobs," U.S. textile industry groups said in a Sept. 1 letter opposing the U.S. chamber's call for expanding the legislation in light of the floods.
One trade expert said that expanding Pakistan's access to the U.S. market would have little impact on American workers, who mostly make firefighting suits, auto seat covers and other higher-end textile products that Pakistan doesn't produce.
But she agreed there's little chance of any legislation passing. "I had one (congressional) staffer tell me if it's even one U.S. job right now, we're not going to do it," said Kimberly Ann Elliott, a senior fellow at the Center for Global Development in Washington, D.C. "It was a Democrat."
Pakistani business leaders say the lack of action is particularly galling because of their country's cooperation with U.S. requests to root out militants who are launching attacks into Afghanistan from Pakistan's northwest. The army-led effort has sparked retaliatory attacks by the militants on targets across Pakistan.
The relentless violence is bad for business. Pakistani businessmen sometimes miss trade conferences because Western countries are slow to grant them visas as they run security checks. Many would-be foreign investors are too nervous to visit Pakistan.
"Pakistan deserves more," said Waheed Raamay, chairman of Faisalabad's Council of Loom Owners. "We are the ally of America in the war against terror, and we have lost billions of rupees and thousands of lives in this war. And this is the time when they should support our economy."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Trade could definitely help Pakistan to get things back up and running in their economy. Trade is one of the things that keep an economy stable in the first place, and some economies are completely based upon trade. Of course, if they need aid, they need aid. That’s just that. That aid might be the jumpstart they need to get things going again. As for the violence, well, war never was positive anyway, and neither are the effects of it.
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
It's sad that this is happening, and besides that there is nothing more to say. No one here is in the wrong (though if we were talking in terms of who causes the most problems, it would be the U.S.). The U.S. causes the most problems because they use Pakistan as a launching point for the war and are not being lenient at all with Pakistan. Not much can be done but they can at least be like the E.U. which cut tariffs. People may think it's excusable to ignore this because they want votes. You don't do something because of what others think, you do it because it's right. I know this is a hard issue to do anything with, but the U.S. should do something, because in this case, something is better than nothing.
ReplyDeleteI believe that Pakistan should really choose to trade, this will be a huge benefit in getting its cotton expenses back booming like normal. Also, it is good that America is lending such a needed hand to them. This shows how far we've come in friendship and alliances with other countries. If Pakistan didn't have any options about what to do because of this crisis, America would be seeing drastic changes in its selling of cotton essentials such as sheets, clothing and other necessities. All we can do is help and hope things get back to normal, soon.
ReplyDeleteKiah R.
3rd period
I don't think that the reconstructing zones would help Pakistanis at all. Not a good idea. I most definitely agree that war is NOT the answer it really never is. If people can just learn to talk and compromise with each other then America wouldn't have the issues that they do today.
ReplyDeleteWe need to help Pakistan as much as possible even if it means less money for us. I don’t want to live in a world stricken by starvation and no one should so our government needs to (and apparently is going to) send humanitarian supplies even if Pakistan asked specifically for economic relief. Meaning we need to do whatever we can I don’t think lifting the tariff will affect us horrendously, so even if this only helps them a little it still helps.
ReplyDeleteKaylah Moore
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I agree with Myles P., trade is an important of economy, and for Pakistan it's pretty much their only way of earning money. They can only go so far with only aid; they need more than that. But what I don’t agree with is how Myles stated that the negative effects of war had nothing to do with trade and their economy; I think it has a big part with their economy. I mean while any country is in war they are going to have economic difficulties.
Ayoub Saber
ReplyDelete4th period
Pakistan's economy needs to get better, because they need help and they need aid or something. And probably some of them don't have education or protection. Do you think these people are happy than us? I think no, because they have nothing to do and they need more jobs, so they can make money and live their lives.
I wish we could help Pakistan, but with the U.S. being in so much trouble, I'm not sure if it is the smartest thing to help Pakistan, even if they are a close ally. I think that our country should focus on its own problems before involving themselves everywhere else, even though it is popularly opposed. This bill has a slim chance of passing through Senate, which I don't like, but believe is necessary.
ReplyDeleteJay Shah
6th Period
The United States of America needs to lower its tariffs to help Pakistan. If American textile industries produce different products than the Pakistani ones, then there should not be a problem with competing markets. Pakistan could use the help and more trade would go a long way to helping everyone escape the global depression. Personally, I agree with the statement that more business will reduce terrorism levels in the long run, but shouldn't Pakistan be doing more to combat terrorism than just using it as leverage for more trade?
ReplyDeleteI agree with Myles, because trade could really help Pakistan out. They need financial help, and they want to do something about it. Trade has been around for forever basically, and if it worked all this time, it will work to help this country with their problem. We could possibly have a part in this trade, and maybe it will give us something positive in return.
ReplyDeleteAJ Baath
ReplyDelete6th Pd
I agree with Myles in the notion that trade is an important part in supporting America’s economy. What would we do without trade? We would not have half of the things we have currently, that’s for sure. If we cut off trade with China, we honestly would be left with nothing at all, because everything is made in China. Any country that is willing to engage in trade is a country seeking success.
Tyler Morris
ReplyDelete4th period
I understand we are America, therefore we are a world powerhouse. But is trying to rebuild somone elses country we really need to be thinking about right now? We have some of those same problems that haven't been resolved for YEARS. Can we worry about ourselves and our great nation first? I mean seriously, we need to fix our own house before we can build another one.
5th Period
ReplyDeleteWith a lot a people out of work here in America, I can understand how it would be very difficult to try to help one of our friendly countries with jobs. If we as a country were in a better place with our own economy, I say go for it and help out Pakistan. With war so close and the downturn in the economy, Pakistan will have a rough go of it for a while, but there are other countries that could lend a hand. America doesn't always have to help out countries in trouble, especially when we need to take care of our own people.
Anthony Chenevert
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I think that trade would really help stimulate their economy and help it get started back up with all their economic activity. Trade is a very important part of keeping all economies more stationary and supported with good foundation. If they need assistance then that what they need to help them get back on track. The violence isn't even necessary and war doesn't help it any better.
I think trade would help the economy of Pakistan. I believe America should partner up with Pakistan and create a type of trade agreement.America could make higher end products and Pakistan could make lower end products to help their economy. It would all be a nicer place to live if everyone helped out each once in a while.
ReplyDeleteI really get the point of Pakistan's request especially when they argued that it would contradict terrorism by giving their youth an alternative to joining militant movements. But I also agree with the argument of U.S. textile industry groups who say that this proposal should not be considered because it will destroy manufacturing jobs in an already struggling economy. I think we should try to help Pakistan but not hurt ourselves in any way while doing it. If helping Pakistan will make us hurt ourselves by destroying jobs or things of that nature, we should forget about the proposal and let them figure out their own problems. We are already their biggest trading partners and Europe is already offering some help. It might seem selfish, but at this time of a struggling economy, we can not even think about hurting ourselves and destroying jobs by agreeing to proposals like this one.
ReplyDeleteMishi Jain
ReplyDelete2nd period.
In my opinion, I think that since Pakistan is not in such good conditions right now because of the floods that happened and they are in trouble that we should be the nice, kind country that we are and like Europe, lower the tariffs for a limited time until Pakistan can get a hold on its country again, but not permanently. On the other hand, lowering the tariffs for trade with Pakistan would not benefit us Americans or America in any way. We have our own troubles right now as we just got out of a recession and need to give more jobs to our country first.
Samantha Twardowski
ReplyDelete3rd period
I honestly feel a little sorry for Pakistan because of the things they are going through right now. Obviously they need help but sometimes help isn't always available. Trade would help Pakistan a lot but you can't always get want you want. Also I feel like that even though it is hard for them, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and this situation for them right now is just making them stronger.
Increasing trade is a good idea to help, the combination of the flood and the lagging aid of its allies has really hurt Pakistan's economy. The requests from America to root out militants have gained some negative results as violence is never a beneficial factor in an economic regression. Tariff cuts are also a plus; they would mean bigger net gains for Pakistan’s textile industry. But these are only short-term conditions; tariff cuts and humanitarian aid only last so long. As stubborn as the U.S. is with its strict trade regulations I really do not see America coming to Pakistan's aid anytime soon.
ReplyDelete2nd period
K'Vonna Johnson
ReplyDelete5th period
I agree with the first post made. Trading can help any economy in a depression especially a country like Pakistan. This will help them get the start they need to rebuild their country again.Violence in the country does not help the country in a positive way though.The money being used for war and other war materials could be used towards buildings and things of that nature. Also the people at war could also be bombing newly built buildings.
3rd period
ReplyDeleteI think that this is wrong. I understand that as an ally of Pakistan we should go and help them, and I believe that we will. But Pakistan needs to realize that we are the US. Everything that we have to decide upon takes us a long time. We will come to help them but they need to give us time. They can't expect instant aid from a country that isn't really that close to it.
Travis Crissman
ReplyDelete2nd
Trade is a very important part of economics and is critical for countries. I believe that it is important for India to trade because they make goods that Americans want such as clothes. As a result of the natural disasters that have taken place in India, I believe it is crucial that they continue to have opportunities to trade with other countries. The people mentioned in the article want to work to help themselves and support their families. There are people in the United States who would rather sit around and have everything handed to them and don't want to work.
5th period
ReplyDeleteI think that trading a depressed country is a generous idea. Especially if the country is struggling badly. But the problem is, the U.S is already struggling with our own problems. Even though Pakistan is in dire help right now. We still should worry about us now.
Leo Huang
ReplyDeleteFifth Period
Pakistan was greatly affected by the flood. The country needs to be able to get back on its feet again. Opening trade with the US may just be the key to having Pakistan's economy up and running again. Also, the trade will also create thousands of job opportunities. This way, the helping is mutual and both countries will receive benefits.
I am very sad that there was a flood in Pakistan and I think that the ideas that Pakistan has are great! They make sense. Instead of giving the country money, buy from them. This way you make sure the government doesnt use it wrong and that everyone gets their fair share. We are a fair equal country. I think we should go along with these ideas and help the country's economy from bombshelling.
ReplyDeleteFrancescha Rundle
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
Having been through different situations like a flood that damaged their cotton production, I think Pakistan should get the help they need for getting back on their feet. I believe America should help Pakistan with its crisis by lowering tariffs. But still, the U.S. can't do this forever. It is just recovering from the first recession in eighty years and millions of Americans are still unemployed. Even though I believe the U.S. should do every thing they can to help, the stakes are just too high.
Charlene Sigua
ReplyDelete4th period
I think increasing trade is a great idea. Pakistan is in a depression and trading is one way to help. But with the way things are right now with the trade regulations, I can't really see that America is going to help Pakistan out for a while.
Jenny Chang
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I think we should help Pakistan until their economy gets better. When we trade with Pakistan, it might also help our economy. As our relationship becomes more friendly, violence might decrease at the same time. Plus, U.S. and Pakistan are allies, so we should try to help them when they are in need.
Sean Nelson
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think that it is a good gesture to try and help Pakistan get back on its feet. Trade is a very good way to do that, like Myles said. But on the other hand, I also agree with Tyler in saying that we have enough problems as it is with the U.S. I think we should put this on hold until we can fix more of our problems first.
Lynn Robinson
ReplyDelete3rd period
I agree with Lauren Rainey, trade could really help the Pakistan economy. It makes sense that the U.S would be debating helping them. After all, our economy isn’t so hot either. Pakistan has a good point, but with the trouble we have been having with our economy, it is hard to lend a helping hand.
This will sound selfish, but America and most European countries are also in an economic turmoil, so should we really be focusing on helping other nations. I mean I feel sorry for Pakistan and other countries devastated by natural disasters or in a serious economic depression, but cuts on tariffs will mean less profit for businesses and will keep our economy down. For the U.S. I can kinda agree with helping another country out because we are getting out of this depression, but for countries like Greece or Ireland, which have riots going on all the time because of how far in debt they are, they need to help themselves before they start helping a country they are not even allies with.
ReplyDeleteCarolyne Lu
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
I think we need to cut Pakistan some slack. They've just gone through this flood, so the least we can do is lower the tariffs to help them out a little bit. They've been here for us so we need to be there for them. Even though we are having our own troubles right now, we can't be this selfish and only think about ourselves. I'm not saying we should just totally ignore the things we're going through, but we can at least try to be the good Americans that we are and help out different countries so that if we have problems they'll help us out too.
Katie Snyder
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I think that we just need to back off a little. Pakistan is on the other side of the world! We don't need to be making decisions for them. Maybe if they asked us to help we would, but does anyone who is smart ask for help from America? And when people do ask, America doesn't want to help them. I mean, we only like helping the people who don't ask for it. Trading could really help an economy in depression, especially a country like poor Pakistan.
Well Josh, why should we do something. America is in a pretty bad recession right now. If we help them, then we could put ourselves in an even worse position than before. America is still in debt, and I don't think that Pakistan has much to offer at the moment, the outcome for America would not be a positive one. Although I am for unity among countries, maybe even forming planetary peace someday, but for now, we are America, and America isn’t looking to good right now. Not to mention that what were offering is not very much, and would still end up harming us in someway.
ReplyDeleteMarcus Levine
4th period
Shelby Hendon
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I agree with Marcus, we need to start by looking out for ourselves, before we can help out other countries. Yea, they might not be having the best of times right now, but neither are we. If we were in better economic conditions, we might be able to aid them, but since were in a recession, it's more difficult to give them the aid they need.
@ Marcus Levine
ReplyDeleteI didn't say to do anything drastic. I said the U.S. should do tariff cuts like the E.U. I didn't say we needed to send them money. Actually the article says nothing about sending them money, it talks about Pakistan asking the U.S. to open their markets further. That shouldn't hurt the economy too much, the E.U. did it, and they've got countries like Ireland where there are riots everyday because they are bankrupt. So why can a Union that has some places that are worse than the U.S. cut tariffs and U.S. can't? It's because some politicians are more concerned about votes than actual people. I don't think that makes sense, do you?
I agree with Tyler Morris about fixing our country before anyone else's. We need to worry about the problems going on in our country before we worry about other countries. I agree that we should help Pakistan's trade because that will increase our economy and rebuild it. Once we rebuild our economy and fix the other problems in the U.S., I think we should help Pakistan in any way we can because we are strong allies and we are there number one trade supporter.
ReplyDeleteI believe both Pakistan and America are both in tough spots right now. We could as everyone said up above cut down tariffs and engage in more trade, but do remember there was past damage that hasn't been completely resolved with some European nations. We do not know if after we help them that they would turn on us and we don't know if they wouldn't turn on us. Anything can happen really, but I agree that America needs to get itself out of debt before we risk helping anyone else. Not in a way of selfishness but in a way of precaution.
ReplyDelete6th Period
Esteban Palacios
ReplyDeletePeriod 6th
America is in a pretty bad shape right now. If we help Pakistan we might be ruining the economy for ourselves. I am all for helping people but if we harm our country we might not be able to get out of this problem. Maybe if we could steady ourselves a little then I would be willing to help Pakistan without fear but for now we should be neutral, at least to see if any other countries will help and to right the economy.
5th period.
ReplyDeleteI think that we could help Pakistan get back on its feet for a little while, but we can't help them forever. It seems like they are in a really tough situation, and if we (America) were in the same situation, we would want a little help. At the same time, with the shortage of jobs and other problems that are going on right now it’s just another thing to deal with. It would be a lot to handle.
5th
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to see our brothers on the other side of the world be pushed to the limits of how they can survive because U.S. lawmakers say it's not okay to allow the importing. Opening up more trade options would bring up the already failing economy in Pakistan, thus preventing the bad survival rate. And at the same time it would boost international relations between these countries, allowing for more friendly conversations between governments. Just because people are to busy fighting for themselves to think about our brothers. So what if we lose one job? There's always another. And it would allow those in the Pakistani textile industry to have a better life.
Here is an idea. Since the US government is going to spend tax-payers’ money on foreign aid anyway, it could use that money that would otherwise be sent to “aid” Pakistan and instead buy however many dollars worth of Pakistani textile goods. Then, those clothes, bed sheets, etc. could be sent to “aid” other countries. That way we could stimulate Pakistan’s textile industry and help out another region in need of aid without doing so at the expense of American textile workers. Then both Josh and Marcus could be happy.
ReplyDeletePrerna Kamnani
ReplyDelete4th Period
Due to the floods, Pakistan is in need of help for their economy. Trade will definitely be a great solution to help boost their economy back up. I think that Pakistan and America should make a trade agreement of some sort and come to a compromise. America, like Europe, is being a bigger person or country and helping Pakistan out. This trade does not benefit America or the citizens. I think this is a kind act towards Pakistan. I also think that we should look at out country right now and focus on our economy.
Ok 2nd post the first said error so... I think Pakistan should be help even though our own economy isn't in the best shape. America does have to focus on it's own issues once in awhile but this is a great chance to gain influence in a country that may one day become a valuable ally. Many people don't understand the hardships these people need to obtain a job even if it equals the American standard of minimum wage.
ReplyDeleteJerry George
ReplyDelete3rd Period
Oh, how only we could have the good old America who was always there to fight and help random countries that were struggling with their growth and development. Yet, this time has gone by and now reality is coming into play. For now, we can only hope Pakistan has a sliver of hope shining through for them to survive these tough times where everyone is struggling. One could only want to help their cause, just as one would want to help the people in Africa who are barely surviving on their own with death on their heels, but reality is too harsh to let everyone get their way.
@Joshua Connor (and anyone who wants U.S. to help Pakistan)
Remember, this is more than just political opinions, this is America where nearly many more things are done everyday. Not to say your opinion is incorrect, but look at the picture even bigger than just the political scheme. There is always the idea that the extremists can strike again just for an insult or other countries would dislike the idea of helping a developing country while their own struggling country receives barely anything from the U.S. All the U.S. can do is abide by their "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, which is really against the Constitution and yet it is instituted at both home and far away, but that's another issue.What I want to point out is that there is so much controversy and problems that can arise from just doing a good deed for this one country.
@Marcus Levine (and anyone else who supports the idea of the U.S. focusing on its own problems)
I do not blame your ideals either. We all are aware that life is not as easy as it was for our parents. Hey, we even have to step up our efforts just to live a comfortable life, such as getting great jobs through education and a bit of luck from employers. We need every single bit of help we can get, and Pakistan's situation hinders this goal. Not that I personally hate Pakistan and want to survive on its own, which is something I believe the entire world should help it with, but our priorities must be focused more on our future that is at hand than what can be done for now. We can only hope Pakistan has that silver lining to live off of.
Sarah Raines
ReplyDelete4th period
It’s always sad when our economy fails us and it’s never a good picture or point. But I think Pakistan beginning to trade would be a very good option. You don’t always need to trade but it is incredibly hard to be 100 percent self sufficient and trading would open up so many more doors to help fuel their economy. However war is definitely not an option. I am completely supportive of our troops in war but I do not believe in war at all. We are people we need to act like them. War solves hardly anything .While maybe we gain independence or something what about what we lost. The lives and souls of our planet.
I think that reconstruction of the zones will not help the Pakistanis in anyway. It is not a pragmatic idea. War must not be the solution to anything even though it has been used as an effective tool to prove dominance and power over others several times. Negotiation is one powerful tool that could be used to maintain peace among nations as well as between individuals.
ReplyDeleteErica Barrera
ReplyDelete5th period
I agree with Myles. The United States needs to deal with their problems first before trying to help others right now. I mean it’s very nice that we want to help but we have our own problems. The other countries are not helping us right now in need. To me we are the only caring country who will offer a hand in need. What other country would take their time out in helping other countries? Only us.
Dylan Allotta
ReplyDelete5th
I think it would be a good thing to help out the country. Even though we are experiencing an economic downturn, they do provide us with vital things we need. Well, for an average american anyways. Why must one man work every drop of sweat from his body, and get no return for whom he is producing for. I believe it's ridiculous that his work, and his life is so hard to provide these materials for mostly America, and we cant help this country out? I suppose not so much the country, but a fantastically good thing to do would be to help at least the hard working people of this country.
I think the US should open trade with Pakistan even if it causes us to lose a bit of money. It could pay off in the long run and also it would give the US a better view to the other countries. I think that we are self-centered people and we need to help other countries so when we are in need (like right now...) they will help us. The economy needs to get better but trading with Pakistan will not crash our economy or boost it tremendously.
ReplyDelete-Ryan Haines Period 2
This is interesting. With our economy in a bad position other countries want us to lend a hand with their problems. We aren't the only country on this planet. I guess it's because we are lending a hand TOO much. Countries have wanted the U.S.'s help every time something goes wrong because we put out our help too much and they almost expect the help. I agree that Pakistan needs help but they don't have to get it from us. Like Tiffany said we aren't the only one in the world who can help them there are plenty others.
ReplyDeleteJeffrey Jhingree
ReplyDelete4th Period
I agree with Myles because I think that trade will help Pakistan's economy. Instead of always going to war with Pakistan, we should help them out with trading with them and lowering tariffs. They just had a huge flood and many people who had jobs lost it. If we help them, there will be more jobs available for them.
Kyne Onyenze
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think Josh Conner has some pretty good ideas regarding the trade as far as Pakistan trying to ask the U.S. to open up their trade a little bit. But towards the end of the article it says and quotes, “We are the ally of America in the war against terror, and we have lost billions of rupees and thousands of lives in this war. And this is the time when they should support our economy.” There is so much violence going on in that country just because of their economy. Is their anything we as the United States of American citizens can do to help these Pakistani people? We as U.S. should stop being so conservative and open up our economy and trade to them so that the violence can end and the Pakistani communities can be safe.
I think that it’s awesome for America to help Pakistan, but we also have to think about our own economy. Trading with Pakistan would help their economy, but we would not be able to help Pakistan if we were totally poor too. I think we should take baby steps in helping Pakistan and not immediately start trading loads of merchandise with Pakistan. It would be unwise. War would also be a very bad idea. It usually causes more problems than it solves.
ReplyDeleteEmily Panozzo
ReplyDelete5th Period
The United States has had times of struggle in the past. Even today, having enough money to support a family or even one's self is a growing concern. Still, the nation isn't asking for help from other countries. This statement is exactly why some people feel that we shouldn't contribute to how another civilization functions. I understand how some could feel this way, but I do not agree. Being an American is having the ability to do what others cannot. By helping out Pakistan and others, we can prove ourselves patriotic while helping the world.
Amita Batra
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think that trade is the one thing that helps regulate Pakistan's economy. It is a major part of their country's way of earning money. As America, our job is to help out other countries so I think that we should help Pakistan just as much as we have helped any other country in the past.
If Pakistan is our ally, then we need to help them. Especially in this time, while Pakistan is suffering with the aftermaths of their flood. Workers in the U.S. don't produce most of the things that are produced in Pakistan, so why can't we just help them? It seems like they really need it.
ReplyDeleteJade Martin
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think that what is going on now in Pakistan is a bad thing. I think we should help them but with our economy the way it is now, we should try to help ourselves first. If we help Pakistan then we would just be hurting ourselves even more in the long run. We should focus on our own problems and once we are fixed we should help everyone else.
@Joshua Conner
ReplyDeleteCutting tariffs might not seem to damage the economy very much, but it sure is not going to help us get out of this recession. Your dead on about the politicians though since, P.I.G.S (Portugal, Italy, Greece, and Spain) are not known for there great governments. I really do not see another reason politicians would offer to cut tariffs besides looking nice. Especially when their unemployment rates are much higher than any in the US.
Danielle Sherman
ReplyDelete4th Period
This is an interesting article. I believe that we can't help Pakistan effectively in the position we are in now. They do need help, however.War is a negative way to go, but trade is positive. Pakistan is one of our allies but we do have to do for ourselves before we can do for others.
Trade would be a good idea for the industrial based economy in Pakistan. The U.S. indeed should be more flexible and lower tariffs. This way the people for both nations could have more job opportunities and benefits. The situation is sticky and we would have to sacrifice our own downfalling economy. However,it's not too much to ask for a helping hand for an allied country.
ReplyDeleteBoth aid and opening our markets further could help Pakistan start to rebuild, so why do we have to choose one. I mean, if we are going to help, why not help to our best abilities. In order to open our markets we would need to lift the tariffs, and to lift our tariffs politicians would have to agree on something and some politicians would rather make their decision depending on votes than about the actul outcome of what they are deciding on. My point is there is so much that we can do, but choose not to do beacuse of the fact that some people believe we need to focus on our own economy while it is much better than many other countries. We should not only think about ourselves, we should think about everyone.
ReplyDeleteLogan Gloster
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
Considering all the terrorism coming from Pakistan and Middle Eastern countries, I feel that we shouldn't help them. We are one of the most powerful influential countries in the world, but we have problems of our own. I feel that we don't have time to help them. I could see opening up our markets with them as a mutual kind of thing, but if we go so far as to start giving away money to them then we are going to put ourselves in a bad situation. What do we owe them anyways? They are the ones destroying soldiers from our country. They have lives too. They shouldn't be just sent into a nightmare. I feel that we could use technology more to fight terrorism instead of sending soldiers on suicide missions.
I think that we should help them open their markets. Yes, we are in a recession however, if you think about this in the long run then it could easily help our economy get back on three legs. So I agree with Josh, and to Marcus well sometimes you have to help someone else out before the help comes to you. Also, if we only think for ourselves then we would just be increasing the way people view the U.S. for the worse.
ReplyDeleteJohn Gann
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I do not think that America should help Pakistan. This is because we have to worry about our own economy and our own way of life. Thirty years ago the textile industry left Texas and the Carolina's (predominately) and took jobs away from Americans and sending them over seas. This is shown thorough towns in the South with towns abandoned because the factory was shut down, or there are many “empty nesters” there surrounding a closed factory. I think the U.S. government should try to bring these jobs back to us, if they really want to improve the American economy.
Nick Grieger
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I disagree with Joshua Conner. If we do the tariff cuts like the E.U. then Pakistan will benefit more than the United States. This does sound selfish but before we can help others, we must help ourselves. As Joshua pointed out countries like Ireland are cutting tariffs with even worse times. Yes, they are trying to help but if we all do the cuts would we not end up in the same situation where we need help?
3rd period
ReplyDeleteLike some of you have already said, the flood greatly set back Pakistan. If we open up trade again then this could get them back on their feet. I agree that tariff cuts will open their market even farther after we open trade with them. I’m just saying that if we help them, then in the future they will do the same for us if we need it. Think of the golden rule.
Chris Bready
ReplyDelete6th period
We can't help other countries, if we can't help ourselves. We need to help ourselves before we help other countries. It would be good if we could find a country that could help and support us. That way if they need help later on we could give it to them.
Though what is going on in Pakistan is devastating, they're obviously asking for a fair trade which would benefit both the U.S. and Pakistan. At a time of need, is when you must do what is right even if it is not exactly what you want. America is offering help, and even if Pakistan is an independent country, they should accept it and do what will bring them back up to where they were.
ReplyDeleteSaimol Edaparampil
ReplyDelete3rd period
I think that we should help Pakistan but at the same time try to take care of our economic problems. We need to really take care of our country too. We are the ones that most of the other countries ask for in their times of need but we have to fix our own problems before we help the other countries because if we spend too much money helping out Pakistan then at the end we are not even going to have a good start to fix our own economic problems. And trade is a very good thing. Especially that they are not trading the same stuff that we are so we won't really have a problem with that.
Leah Ware 2nd period
ReplyDeleteI agree with Myles in that trade is a very important part of a country's economy. Just look at us, almost nothing we have has is made in America. If it weren't for China, we wouldn't have anything. Trade could really help Pakistan's economy.On the other hand, we already have our own economic problems. I believe that it would be good to help them out, but considering the problems we have, we can't.
Dane Gantt
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
It's sad that Pakistan is being denied trade and is being supplied with aid. Now that sentence may sound weird, but the meaning behind it is that a country should receive what they want, not what they don't want. In this situation they want to trade, whereas they are being provided with aid instead.
Abin Joes
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I agree with Mr. Shah and many others up there who belive that we should get a hold of ourselves before we help others. Yes, Pakistan has been having some troubles recently but you are failing to understand one key detail. SO ARE WE. Why should we help others when we need to help ourselves? We might be good, but not that good.
4 Pd
ReplyDeleteJae Phan
Cases like this can lead to circular arguments, some Americans want to help support other countries while other Americans want to stay out of their business and help support themselves. Neither of these is wrong, though sometimes we interfere too much with other countries' problems, getting both of us into a bad situation. Pakistan is in need, but it'll hurt us if we aid them. What is the wisest decision?
Aileen Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
I agree with everyone who says that Pakistan should trade. It would really help to boost its economy and possibly(maybe) even create stronger bonds between the country and the U.S. and E.U. However, I also agree with the people who say that the U.S. should deal with its own problems first. We are already going through enough as it is, and if the U.S. continues to help other countries and not itself, there would be negative effects on those living within its boundaries, then we'll be the ones in need of help.
Bailey Banks
ReplyDelete6th Period
If we are allies of Pakistan our job is to help each other out, both sides should be willing to contribute and lose some things in the process. Trading would really help out with Pakistan's issues, but America is facing many problems of its own and it would be difficult to help itself and another country at the same time. Pakistan should stop looking to America for help with their reconstruction and find another solution. We apparently aren't bulging to even think about helping with their problems when we have to worry about our own, it's sad, but true.
Nico Alba
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I think that this is wrong. I understand that as an ally of Pakistan we should go and help them, and I believe that we will. But Pakistan needs to realize that we are the US. Everything that we have to decide upon takes us a long time. We will come to help them but they need to give us time. They can't expect instant aid from a country that isn't really that close to it.
Justin Johnson
ReplyDelete6th Period
The people in Pakistan are very peaceful people (from what I heard) and now they are bring treated harshly? That is not right, and unfair. The misery that the Pakistan has to go through is gruesome. I know that a bunch of people think this way, but some people grew up hating the Pakistanis, it’s just really unbelievable for America to do such a thing.
Azim Hemdani
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I think that Pakistani people should get an opportunity to trade with the U.S. and others places regarding the fact that we had wars with and around them. The wars have affected them and people around them and we should trade with them to provide them money and to make use of their things such as clothing and stuff that we sell in Wal-Mart. Also on top of the war the flood has caused many to lose their jobs and caused less job opportunities for people in that area. They are facing a very difficult time and they deserve money to live and to pay for their daily necessities. Like Waheed Raamay said,” we are the ally of America in the war against terror, and we have lost billions of rupees and thousands of lives in this war. And this is the time when they should support our economy.” I agree with him on this and I personally think that the U.S. should help them as soon and fast as possible.
Cortney Corley
ReplyDeleteP.4
I think that countries around the world should come together to help Pakistan. Like many above me said, stopping the tariffs would help with all trade, but that shouldn't be our main focus. America has problems of our own and we should focus on that before anyone else. If i were in Pakistan i would be focusing more on aid than trade to make sure everyone is healthy and can work before trying to make an economy better. After a flood, health is very important.
Samantha Martin
ReplyDelete4th period
It's terrible that massive floods have ruined Pakistan's economy. I think trading with the U.S. is a great idea. Pakistan is are only allies in this war after all, therefore I think the U.S. owes them that much.
Victoria Hackney
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I understand that as Americans we want to be making money ourselves but when a country is in trouble we should be there to help and support them even if it might not benefit us as much. As a country we have come a long way in strengthening relationships with other countries and this would be another way to do so. If we were going through a time of need I would hope that others countries would be willing to give us a helping hand, so why should we not do the same thing?
Grace Bonojo
ReplyDelete4th period
I think it's unfortunate that Pakistan went through that flood that wiped out so much of their economic activity. Now they're desperately asking the US their ally for help after all the help they've provided for the US. I think that even though we can't do much, as a nation we should try and help some way. We can do the little amount of helping by lowering tariffs so that way they can still afford to trade and build up their economy all over again.
Matthew Louis
ReplyDelete6th
I agree with Sean, Its nice to help foreign countries like Pakistan, but our country has a vast amount of problems that we need fix before we can try to think about other problems. I’m not saying we shouldn't worry about the problems of the outside world. That’s not what I'm saying at all. I’m saying we should handle the problems of our nation and when situations arise in the world, we do our best to help them.
Since Pakistan is not in a good condition, I think we should help them. Even though we aren't in the best condition as of now, it won't hurt us to help them a little bit. When we give a little bit, we might receive something much better in return. America will look like a selfish country if we don't even bother to look out for them.
ReplyDeleteI believe that we should trade with Pakistan if it is going to help us. If we are just going to trade with this country because we feel sorry for him then that's not right. We need to do what's best for us because we are in sort of jam ourselves with our economy. We need to focus on getting ourselves back on track with our economy and getting out of Iraq. Then we can help other countries with their problems.
ReplyDeleteErvin Ricasio
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
Trade is the act or process of buying, selling, or exchanging commodities, at either wholesale or retail, within a country or between countries. Pakistan is going through many problems at this point. It’s sad for them to go through all this. Trade could actually help them, but why are paying so much attention to them. Shouldn’t we be trying to resolve our problems first? If our economy was in great shape then we could help other countries to get them to where they need to be. We have many troubles now and we should fix them right away before we fix others.
Ervin Ricasio
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
Trade is the act or process of buying, selling, or exchanging commodities, at either wholesale or retail, within a country or between countries. Pakistan is going through many problems at this point. It’s sad for them to go through all this. Trade could actually help them, but why are paying so much attention to them. Shouldn’t we be trying to resolve our problems first? If our economy was in great shape then we could help other countries to get them to where they need to be. We have many troubles now and we should fix them right away before we fix others.
Aman Gupte
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I agree all the people who said that trade is very important for some countries and developing countries are depending on trade as their major income. America should help out its most important ally. But it should first take care of itself. The economy is still not good, and before we go out to help others, we should see to it that we are alright. When we are at full capacity, we would be able to help others in a more efficient manner.
Alajuawa Davis
ReplyDelete2nd period
Trade is most definitely an important part for Pakistan. But we need to look out for ourselves before we try and help another country out. The Pakistan is basically asking us for our help.
Marissa Moss
ReplyDelete5th period
I agree with Joshua, and Rhea. I think that instead of politicians worrying about votes, they should focus on what will benefit everyone in a good way. Remember that thing called a compromise? I do believe that we need to help our economy too, but don't stoop on being, yet still, The Greatest Nation.
Betty Ponce.
ReplyDelete3rd period.
I would have to agree with Shelby, along with Marcus. Yes we should be nice and think about other countries in order to have good alliances and everything, but I believe in order to start off as a good country within ourselves we must first take care of ourselves and make sure we are at our best. I think it would be easier to help someone out if we fix our problems first. That way our help will be more beneficial considering we'll have more time to help those who are in need.
I honestly think that first America needs to fix it's economy then help out on Pakistan. I mean, there are over 200 other countries, and some of them are perfectly fine, so why can't they help out? We should just take a break and fix our debts and problems before helping out others and getting ourselves into more trouble.
ReplyDeletePeople are usually selfish by nature. So America would probably be improving their economy first. If we were to trade with Pakistan, it'd probably only be in a win-win deal where America benefits in some way. Anything that helps us economically would be great.
ReplyDeleteDaniel Thai
Period 5
Stephen Castillo
ReplyDelete4th
I do have sympathy for Pakistan and I do believe that the U.S. should help the cause of Pakistan’s economic and manufacturing problems. For one it will give financial aid to those who need it, and will also help combat the spread of terrorism by giving the youth money and jobs. It’s like the old saying “killing two birds with one stone.” Yet I don’t think the government should give Pakistan access to the U.S. market, the reason why is that Pakistan is Pakistan. The U.S. has little control of what happens militia and terrorist wise, and by granting Pakistan access to our markets we are giving our enemies access as well. I also agree with Waheed Raamay, chairman of Faisalabad's Council of Loom Owners that Pakistan has been our allies in the fight against terrorism and now it is our turn to aid them.
Stephen Castillo
ReplyDelete4th
I do have sympathy for Pakistan and I do believe that the U.S. should help the cause of Pakistan’s economic and manufacturing problems. For one it will give financial aid to those who need it, and will also help combat the spread of terrorism by giving the youth money and jobs. It’s like the old saying “killing two birds with one stone.” Yet I don’t think the government should give Pakistan access to the U.S. market, the reason why is that Pakistan is Pakistan. The U.S. has little control of what happens militia and terrorist wise, and by granting Pakistan access to our markets we are giving our enemies access as well. I also agree with Waheed Raamay, chairman of Faisalabad's Council of Loom Owners that Pakistan has been our allies in the fight against terrorism and now it is our turn to aid them.
Peroid 3
ReplyDeleteThe U.S. and Pakistan are both in trouble. On one hand Pakistan is in the middle of war and needs more money on the other hand, U.S needs money to pull out of a recession. I agree, the U.S should help, however they should help when they get enough money to balance out this reccesion. If the U.S spent more money in Pakistan while still in this reccessioon, they would try to find more money and make taxes higher. This would create a huge economic disadvantage for America and all countries who are envolved in trade with them.
Leslie Vazhappilly
ReplyDeletePeriod 4th
I believe that if Pakistan chooses to trade, they make great profit. It would help running in their economy. We all know that trade is really important to have as a country as itself. It is good that we are trying to help them, but during recession,like Shelby H. said this is not really the right time for us to help them. We have to first think about ourselves.
Samantha Pecson
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
All countries have some kind of problem related to their economy. Yes, America is struggling but that doesn't mean that we should fully care for ourselves. There are people in Pakistan who are asking for a sign of hope. If trade and a small loan is what gives them that hope, then why don't we try and give it to them?
America is, after all, "...One nation, under God..." (No, I'm not trying to bring religion into this) So shouldn't we at least show SOME sensitivity or compassion to our neighboring countries?
Trade isn't just one side giving and giving to another. America does get something for it too. We may not know "what" we'll be getting, but I personally think that it shouldn't matter. I'm pretty sure they gave something for our natural disasters, like Hurricane Katrina. Big or small, it doesn't hurt anyone to give.
Even though our country has problems to deal with, at least we're still strong.
Citizens of Pakistan are underprivileged with employment, education and even shelter.
We may have our own problems, but that doesn't mean we shut out our hearts and generosity to others.
John Gann
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I believe the road signs should not be changed. It bothers me that we as Americans are going through tough economic times, and local governments are willing to spend millions of dollars on somethings that will not help the citizens but will hinder the economy. People over the ages have been able to read road signs, but if they cant see the signs they should not be driving. If the signs need to be altered, they can repair the signs (putting a light or reflective tape).