Monday, October 11, 2010

Report Says Many Youths Are ‘Too Fat to Fight’

Report Says Many Youths Are ‘Too Fat to Fight’


A panel of retired military leaders has joined the fight against childhood obesity, saying that unhealthy school lunches are making America's youth unfit for military service and therefore pose a threat to national security. Their report, titled "Too Fat to Fight," states that 27 percent of all young adults are too overweight to serve in the armed forces.

A recent report has found that more than a quarter of all young adults are too overweight to serve in the armed forces. Many military leaders have called this a matter of national security and are looking for ways to encourage kids to eat healthier.

According to the report, 75 percent of young people ages 17 to 24 are unfit to fight in the military because they didn't graduate from high school, have a criminal record or are not physically fit enough. Among these factors, lack of physical fitness keeps the most potential recruits from serving.

The Army physical fitness test requires that an 18-year-old male has to be able to do 42 push-ups in two minutes, 53 sit-ups in two minutes and run two miles in under 16 minutes.

Military lobbied for school lunch program in the past

President Harry Truman signed the National School Lunch Act in 1946, which provided federal funding for school lunches.

The military has entered the debate over school lunches before, in the years following World War II. During the war, military leaders had to reject many recruits for the opposite reason: many of them had stunted growth and lacked proper nutrition. So, the military lobbied Congress for a way to make sure America's young people would grow up to become healthy adults.

The national school lunch program was established in 1946 by the 79th Congress through passage of the National School Lunch Act, which was signed into law by President Harry Truman, who called it a "measure of national security." The National School Lunch Act stipulated that the federal government would pay each state at least 75 percent of the money that its schools needed for food purchases, with adjustments depending on the average income level of each state's citizens.

Many amendments have since been made to the National School Lunch Act to improve and expand on it. The Child Nutrition Act of 1966 first established a school breakfast program, which has since expanded across the country, and the Special Milk Program was introduced to provide children with milk in schools.

Americans' eating habits have changed

Americans today eat 23% more calories per day than in 1970.

In 2008, the National School Lunch Program provided low-cost or free lunches to more than 30.5 million children each school day, according to the USDA. School lunches have to adhere to the 1995 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which say that no more than 30 percent of an individual's calories should come from fat.

While military and other interest groups say guidelines should be updated to make lunches more nutritious, students' eating habits outside of school are also affecting their obesity levels. The March issue of the journal Health Affairs says children in the U.S. snack almost three times a day on candy, chips and other nutritionless food on top of three meals a day.

Americans' caloric intakes have also increased dramatically in recent decades. The average American consumed 2,169 calories a day in 1970, but by 2008, Americans were consuming 2,674 calories daily - a 23 percent increase. A major source of extra calories is high fructose corn syrup, a sweetener and additive found in everything from soda to salad dressings.

Healthier lunches cost more

Many interest groups are lobbying Congress to authorize funding for better school nutition programs.

Making school lunches healthier may sound like a no-brainer, but it comes at a cost for American taxpayers.

The average free school lunch currently costs about $2.92 to make, but the government only covers $2.68 of that, according to the Associated Press. Fresh fruits and vegetables are among the most expensive foods on the market, and Congress will have to increase funding to schools in order to make such foods affordable for lunches.

The organization that sponsored the report, a group of retired military leaders called Mission: Readiness, traveled to Capitol Hill to encourage lawmakers to reauthorize a school nutrition program that would cut junk food and high-calorie beverages, improve menu quality, make more students eligible for free school meals and improve nutrition education.

The Obama administration has asked for $1 billion a year in extra funding for school nutrition. A bill currently being considered in the Senate would add about half that much money, but the House has not yet considered any similar legislation.

--Compiled by Veronica DeVore for NewsHour Extra

69 comments:

  1. I laughed when I read the title of this article. And laughed again when I read what it was about. First of all military service nowadays is on a volunteer basis, so if a man wanted to join the army and got rejected because of his physical fitness then it would be his own fault. If the army isn't doing a draft, then why are they worried about who is or is not fit enough to serve in the army? If they want the lunches to be healthier why don't they just provide the funds themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mayur Patel
    Period 4

    I do not really agree with this because they are only trying to make people healthier so they can serve in the army, but not that many people join the army. They also said that healthier lunches are going to cost more and according to researches, most of the people do not want to risk their lives and be part in the army. I really disagree with what they are trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually find this article to be hilarious, because we were just talking about this in my health class the other day. Americans have been eating so much these last fifty years. What happened to a nice, home-cooked, healthy meal? We spend so much money buying fast food and then we get fatter from eating the fast food. So why do we eat it if it causes both these things, its because we're getting more lazy everyday.
    Americans need to save their money, save their country, and save their own health.


    Period 6

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myles Patterson
    Period 4

    Although I think that this is yet another technique for the army to get more recruits, this is a great campaign because we need to be healthier, and it's just that simple. I do realize that it is more expensive to buy fruits, vegetables, and other healthier foods than it is to buy your average quarter-pounder. But overall it is worth it, considering that for the extra money you put in, in return you get longer, healthier lives. I commend the people who strive to make us healthier, although I'm still going to want my quarter-pounder every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amita Batra
    Period 3

    I feel that this article shows unfairness because it talks about how America wants its youth to be healthier only for the army. I agree with Mayur Patel because they honestly should not be worrying about being healthy so that todays youth can be healthy enough to fight in war tomorrow. If someone really wants to fight in a war, then they will be able to look after their own health. Another point that I want to make is that nobody cares about health for the wellbeing of people but for health for fighting in war which is kind of mean. It's like saying "I don't care if you study and get a good grade. I just want you to study so that I can cheat off of you."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaylah Moore
    2nd period

    Like, Joshua Conner, I also thought the title and the article was pretty hilarious. And I also don't see why you have to be able to do all these physical things just to be in the army. Are they worried about the physical fitness of today's youth because there are so many that have no plans of even thinking about the military? Because I know that I am strongly against anything that has to do with the military and war, despite the fact that my father was once a member of the navy when I was a child. He joined right when he turned 18 only because he couldn't afford college, but those generals and army leaders are taking it way too far. They're worried about our health while they should be worried about the 20 years old soldiers dying for this so called wonderful country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mishi Jain
    2nd period

    In my opinion, if they want Americans to become more fit then instead of making healthy foods higher prices they should make them lower so everyone in America can afford them. I also think that when they say "too fat to fight" I feel it is unfair to those who are unable to lose weight and also to those who want to get into the army to get into shape so that they can fight better. But I do agree that Americans need to start eating a healthier diet rather than fast food places many Americans eat almost 3-4 times a week, like McDonalds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tyler Morris
    4th period
    I think this is rather ridiculous. Should we not be able to take care of ourselves by now? Technology has advanced so much, how can we not be healthy? On top of that we need soldiers to fight for our freedom. I understand that this is sad, yet at the moment the only way. Even when we do figure out a "fairer" way to wage war, we should still be able to take care of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace Bonojo
    4th period

    This title off the top just shows prejudice and it's sad that they only care about the weight of Americans because it tells whether or not they can fight in wars. Why not just care because it's a major problem? I'll tell you why, because they don't care about our health unless they have something to gain from it.
    Healthier lunches might help in making our generation healthier but it's not going to make much of a difference if students don't try and eat a healthier diet. Don't get me wrong I’m not saying that you should be health freaks and count every calorie intake, but we should at least be conscious of how much we're eating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AJ Baath
    6th Pd.
    I believe that military officials are out of their mind to state that this obesity problem is a matter of national security. Sure it may affect military recruiting but that doesn’t mean it’s that important. Who even said these people want to be in the army. Making lunches healthy is not the only thing that will even guarantee these kids a healthy lifestyle. They could be eating junk at home for all they know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 3rd period

    I agree with a lot of people here. First, I also laughed when I read this. Second, I think that it is just wrong to try and make us healthier just to serve in the military. How about getting us healtheir so we can live longer and be happier. Most school lunches aren't that bad. And even if you put healthy food on there the kids don't have to get it. They can choose to skip right over it and get five bags of chips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charlene Sigua
    4th period

    I think it's unfair to accept people in the army just for their physical appearance. Some people are most likely are not going to want to risk their lives in war, but are able to keep themselves healthy. And if someone did want to join the army, they can take care of their own health by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jerry George
    3rd Period

    I think it is interesting enough to see how many times America has failed to accomplish much as they expected. Of course, what good can from a country where 'anyone can do whatever they want,' except going to the moon, being on the side that wins the world wars, and forming the United Nations. Here we happen to come across one of America's failed attempts, increasing the demand to maintain good nutrition with 310,467,000 people who are free to do whatever they want. They can choose to go to the big corporations and buy the food that tastes great to them, or go healthy and enjoy the things that they were told to hate as a child, like Brussels sprouts. If the government wants to stress healthy nutrition, they should at least limit peoples' rights to make them do exactly what they want, but our society wasn't intended to become that according to our Founding Fathers, who I agree with slightly as we have enough demanding countries already but this dooms America's future. So, let the citizens decide the lesser of two evils I guess as majority rules.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with the article in that Americans are eating too much fast food and eating unhealthy simply because they are lazy to make nice home cooked meals. However, healthy meals cost much more and most of us Americans can't afford it. I also do believe that the government wants us to eat healthy because we will be capable of serving the army. I think they should make fast food that is healthy and not too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alvin Mei
    2nd Period.

    The obesity level in America is high, and when people try to put a stop to it, most likely, their relatives or a close friend is probably obese themselves. Trying to encourage young adults to become fit is a challenge for them, because they have habits or other issues that includes eating. I'm not sure that funding for better foods in school is a good idea, because kids can always bring their own food to school. And even if they do eat the food at school, they will go home and stuff themselves with saturated fats. I just hope that overweight teens would stop their gross habit and become fit, because I think its making the image of America look bad, and it probably already is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aileen Nguyen
    Period 3

    Getting young adults to become more fit is a great way to maintain good health. However, the reasons given in this article for doing so are quite absurd. If a person wanted to join the service and they seem as if they are unfit due to their size, they would get rejected? That's crazy. Though I do agree with Amita on the point that people should look after their own health if they really wanted to join. The service shouldn't blame obesity completely on the food we eat. In some cases, obesity can actually be linked to genetics. Also, some people classified as obese can actually be pretty fit. I find it pretty ironic how the government/service wants students to eat healthier in school, yet the prices for fruits and vegetables are higher than the prices for the less healthier food. The government has already spent a large amount of money on the school lunches program, but there hasn't really been a huge improvement on what students choose to eat, so basically they're just wasting money that can be used on more important things.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 5th Period


    I find the article interesting in that as far as we have come as a nation, we cannot get physically fit. With the health and technology these days, and knowing even more how the human body works, there is no reason for Americans to be so overweight as a nation. This being a threat to national security is even more ridiculous. Our soldiers are a part of the most technologically advanced country in the world, there has to be a way to start early with America's youth and the diet that they consume. If our soldiers that protect this country aren't physically fit, they are endangering themselves and others. We need to find a solution to this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lloyd Farley (4th Period)October 13, 2010 at 7:48 PM

    It’s important that we are healthy because the healthier we are the more we can contribute and also reap very positive personal goals. The school and the government also have the responsibility to present food that won’t harm us. In retrospect the government has no reason to give us unhealthy food because of some sort of contract it may have with a supplier. Then again I totally hate the idea of being reared from birth to be a killing machine. This isn’t about lack of self-discipline or moderation it’s about the garbage that fast food restaurants, different food companies, and schools dish out to us for the least amount of money. Why is it that we wonder why we are always drinking soda when the school has a contract with Coka-Cola that only allows the them to distribute Coka-Cola products.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with what the military leaders are trying to do. The debate on making school lunches healthy has been around for so long now, but I think its a good thing that more and more people are getting concerned about it. I don't think that the leaders worrying about the obesity of children who want to join the Armed Forces is very good. I think that they should be worrying about the obesity of children in general. Also I don't think that blaming school lunches for the whole deal is being very fair. The children should also be blamed and the parents because nowadays kids spend so much time in front of the television and a lot of times their parents don't care. And when the parents care about them spending a lot of time in front of the television, its usually because they are telling them to finish their school work. So, I think that there should be healthier lunches and a better physical fitness programs for kids.

    Ann Mathew
    P.6

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tyler Powers 5th
    I understand the point that the United States Military is trying to make. This point is for them to make school lunches healthier, but I don't think this is their battle to fight. This is because they have far better things to worry about then just school lunches. Another reason I disagree that they said is that they said that is a National threat. I do not agree with them at all because if 73 percent of the applicants meet specification then it is not as bad as they are making it seem. Also, if you’re military force is very well trained and very powerful it does not if people get denied into joining the military force.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 4th period
    First off I don't agree with trying to make schools healthier, because kids need to learn to have personal responsibility and be able to say no. Then, how are we supposed to eat healthy when the healthy food cost more, that's not convenient. You also have to look at the physical activity going on in schools, some kids don't even get recess everyday, that needs to change. And if the military is so concerned about this, then they should help those groups already established that are trying to get more physical education in schools.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Neethu George
    3rd period

    After reading this article, I agree a little and think that kids do need to eat healthy food if they want to keep living. But, I don't think that they need to eat healthy just to join the army. The military can't tell the kids what they need to eat so they can join the army. The students not only have to eat healthy at school, but at their homes also. By doing this, there would probably be less obesity in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sarah Raines
    4th period
    I do believe that our schools offer poor food choices when it comes to eating healthy. For this reason and many others, more than ever, children are becoming obese at early ages. Health to everyone is very important and it’s our job as individuals to make sure we take care of ourselves and gain the knowledge necessary to do so. I wouldn’t necessarily lean towards blaming the cafeterias. Our lunch rooms do offer some healthy food choices. The choice is ours as individuals to refrain from eating the unhealthy foods. It isn’t a bad idea to consider increasing the healthy food choices that our school offers. Although there are some good choices, there aren’t very many and the ones available don’t appear to be fresh. I think a great suggestion would be for them to offer the favorite foods in a healthier way. Students would still eat them and those small changes will make a big difference. If the army however has a problem with this then they should do more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Obesity, as we know it is a major problem in a country that's growing rapidly each day. With the number of kids already having much of their physical education credits in middle school, they don’t feel the need to keep staying active in high school. The enlisting of soldiers in the army may be a high priority for boys in the country; many may feel comfortable in this field. It will be a complete upset if they receive a "turn-down" simply because they're too over weight to join.
    I just simply don't agree with them not being able to enlist, I mean there's always a way for a fat person to become skinny if they're determined enough to succeed in the field there shouldn't be a problem. So the lieutenant should possibly work with the person to make them suitable for fighting in a war.
    Also, I don't think many citizens will be pleased with their taxes partialy going to school nutrition costs.
    Kiah R.
    3 period

    ReplyDelete
  25. Danielle Uy 5th PeriodOctober 15, 2010 at 7:46 AM

    It is true that Americans should become more fit. For the army and only for that purpose, well that's messed up.For one thing if one does go in the army, it's best to maintain a good physique. Considering our generation relys more on fast food, we tend to be anything less than fit. I agree that the school lunches also play a part in promoting unhealthy food. In turn its also our fault for not following healthy nutrition guidelines.
    Also, each one of us is our own judge and leading a healthy or unhealthy lifestyle is not just for the sole purpose of being in the military.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Prerna Kamnani
    4th Period

    After reading this article, I agree completely with the fact that our generation is having obesity problems. When I discovered that some people are too obese to take part in the army that was an eye opener. I never thought a person could be too obese to take part in the army. Also, I think that school lunches do contribute to this problem. For our school lunch, there are not very many healthy choices to pick from. Most of the time, the entrees contain quite a bit of fat. I understand that healthier school lunches require more money, and we are in recession right now. If we had healthier lunches, it would definitely help reduce obesity all around. Also, there is another factor that contributes to this cause. It is the lack of physical exercise. Not many people push their children to be physically active. Not being physically active and then not eating right are all contributing factors for obesity.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The reason for the actions are reasonable. Obviously better health is a major problem in America. What I'm against is why they're pushing for better health. Not everyone wants to join the army, and the people that do would probably already be fit. There's no reason (that I can think of) for an unfit person to join the army.

    Daniel Thai
    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  28. Andremarie Jean
    4th Period

    I think that it is interesting to know that the government cares about our health. I have to ask because I don't see why they are only doing it because the people that enroll in the war are becoming more unhealthy. Also I want to say that the reason some kids are not as physically fit just because what they eat. There is also exercise that is involved, and unless the government is also going to do something about that to. There is really nothing you can do to effect everyone's health. It is all up to the person.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jenny Chang
    Period 5

    I think whether or not the military needs fit people, we should start watching out for our own health. Even though school lunch claims to be nutritious, it's not. From my experience, I think they serve a lot of oily food. If the government can't fund for healthier school meals, those who are concerned with their health should just bring their lunches from home. A simple sandwich would be healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The program tries to enhance the health status of people which in turn would make them more fit to serve in the army. The main problem is that many of these people refuse to join army. I also think that we must save our money and cook a healthy meal which would in a way be positive to our health but the consequences of not spending money could cause a recession. In the past decade or so, American fast food companies have been growing enormously as the trend of the new generation prefers fast prepared junk. I personally disagree with what they are actually trying to promote.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The main reason why they are doing this is to promote thoughts about healthy eating habits, following hygiene and maintaining sound mental control. Well, a couple of them would not want to join the army for several reasons. I think this is a waste of resource and time.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dylan Allotta
    5th

    I think this article is unnecessary. Yes: It is very true that the normal Americans eating habits have changed over the years, that is 100% true. But to go way over the line and call it a national security threat? That's ludicrous. America is a free country. People can eat as they choose. Of course with obesity come negative health effects, but regardless, it is their choice. Even if the government decided to spend more money to change school lunches to be more nutritional, the changes would be very miniscule. Not only do not many people buy lunches, but it is only one meal of the day. Unless the government can change what people eat throughout the whole day; (which will never happen) then using money for something with this little importance would be a waste. But all in all, this article, although factual about how eating habits have changed from the past, in no way persuades me whatsoever that this is a national security threat.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Erica Barrera
    period 5
    I think it’s wrong that the forces only want us to be fit so we can serve in the forces. I mean it would be great if everybody in the nation was fit but I don’t think that will happen very soon. We will have to wait for that. But the forces are not really looking at us there looking at what could get done with everybody fit. Not everyone can just get fit right away and not everyone wants to be in the forces. I know I don’t want to and never will.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Eby Lukose 3rd PeriodOctober 16, 2010 at 8:12 AM

    This article was pretty funny. I agree with Amita on how it is unreasonable that our country wants people to be healthy only for the army. Our country is a pretty fat country, and it will stay this way until people realize for themselves that they need to get healthier. Making school lunches healthier might make a little change but fatty foods can be found almost anywhere, and the people who want them will have them. Until these people realize that they need to get healthier for themselves, they probably won't get healthier for the country.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Obesity is a major issue in the U.S. I think having healthier lunches in schools will reduce the number rapidly. Also being physically fit will improve with obesity.If the schools around the nation take this in action then obesity won't become a major problem.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Why does the government say that they don’t like obesity and put all the healthy food really high priced? Lunch shouldn’t take all the responsibilities but the parents should cause when the kids are watching TV instead of going out to play they are being lazier and parents should make healthier food for the kids.
    Steffie Philip
    Period-6th

    ReplyDelete
  37. Carolyne Lu
    Period 3

    I think it's good that people are starting to realize that obesity is a really big problem. I do agree with this article, that kids need to get in shape, but the title, "Too Fat to Fight" is not the way to encourage kids to lose the weight. Are we just telling kids to get in shape so they can join the army? That's not a very good reason. And as for the healthy lunches, it might cost more now, but think of the impact it might have in the future. We'll have healthier kids, which in my opinion is more important than paying a little more for a healthy lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Victoria Hackney
    Period 2

    People need to be taking responsibility for the way they are eating, and the military shouldn't be stepping in to try and take care of that. If someone wants to join the army or other armed forces, it should be a goal they want to accomplish and then be willing to put forth the effort it takes to accomplish this. If that means changing the way one eats then so be it, but it is not the place of the military to be changing the way Americans eat. Obesity is a problem in America and a serious one at that, but never the less it is a person 'choice' that isn't up for the government or military to decide on.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I can actually say I find this funny, because it's sad but also true. We Americans have been eating unhealthy food for the last 50 years. What happened to those olden days where they got a good home cooked meal every day? Americans these days spend their money on buying fast foods and then they are wondering why their so fat and their kids. So why do we eat it, its because our society is getting lazy and lazier everyday. Our duty as Americans is that we need to spend our money on more useful and healthier things, we also need to save our country!



    Mackenzie Krus

    6 period

    ReplyDelete
  40. Jeffrey Reid Period 5October 16, 2010 at 2:40 PM

    I agree with this article about how people eat. People do need to watch what they eat because everyone is buying an abundance of fast-foods. Nobody is watching what they eat explaining why 75 percent of 17-24 year olds are unfit for the army. I don't agree with this article in the idea that everyone wants to join the army. Only a select few want to join the army in each age group. If people wanted to join the army, they wouldn't be obese in the first place. If they wanted to join then they would lose weight. If the army wants to change the way people eat at school, then they should actually do something. They need to change the selection of foods and, if need be, offer there own money to accomplish this.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Travis Crissman
    2nd period

    I believe that if you want to join the military it is a personal choice because it is still a voluntary act. If someone is told they are too fat to fight, they should think about the risks associated with the extra weight including being injured.
    Schools don't have healthy lunches because they are funded by the government, and they don’t have a lot of money to spend. I personally don't believe that someone is obese only because of the school lunch they eat. I believe it has much more to do with what kids are eating at home. It is definitely cheaper to eat "unhealthy" than it is to buy fruits and vegetables. I think that finding a way to make the healthier items more affordable for everyone would definitely be a positive way to fight the "war" against childhood obesity.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Jeffrey Jhingree
    4th period

    I agree with this article that people are becoming overweight to serve in the military because of junk food. I don't agree with them for pushing better health and healthier foods. Some foods that the schools offer are not that bad. If kids do not want to be overweight, all they have to do is watch what they are eating. They can have a bag of chips with their lunch, but not three bags. If kids want to serve their country they have to start eating healthy when they are young so that it will not be a struggle when it is their time to do 42 push- ups in two minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Richard Kimbrell (6th)October 17, 2010 at 8:48 AM

    This article is interesting. It shows that we really don't care that are country is getting fatter everyday that we sit around and argue over the little things. I'm sure it will be real funny when people have to roll around like a bowling ball to get everywhere because nobody decided to do anything about it. Wake up government. The military isn't right about its whole "too fat to fight" thing though. The military doesn't say that you have to fight. They just encourage you to join so they can continue to grow. If a fat person wants to go and try and be in the military and fails the test then they need to stop driving to McDonalds every morning and buying like 6 of the same thing and eat healthy. A bowl of cereal or a banana and apple go a long way in eating healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Kaitlyn Trei
    Period 6

    I think that it is a good idea to make schools more heathy. It's hard to believe that some young adults CAN'T join the military just because they are over weight. And if you would want to be in the army you would have to be able to maintain a healthy body. Maybe if the government does change the schools lunch food to be more healthy the children will start eating healthy after school as well.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Stephen Castillo
    4th Period
    In my opinion the biggest issue is not government funding for school lunches, which leads to teen obesity. There are two factors for obesity one being that kids are eating unhealthy foods/snacks 3 to 4 times a day plus the 3 meals a day. The other is that kids are also not participating in physical activities such as sports or exercising. An argument can be made that the government is raising the prices on healthier foods in the lunch lines but people should understand that it cost more money to buy fruits and vegetables than it does for normal lunches. The government can off-set or help control the cost of healthier lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Logan Gloster
    Period 4

    I think it is our fault, as in all of America, that childhood obesity and just obesity in general is occurring. We have more food than we know what to do with, so we eat it. I think the army is right in not allowing unfit people to join. It's their fault and if they truly wanted to join they could have gotten in shape enough to do so first. School lunches are trying but they are not really helping as much because kids will still go for the unhealthy choices. We as Americans truly do need to change our eating habits.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Azim Hemdani
    Period 2

    I personally agree that school lunches should be healthier. It is true that kids tend to get fatter by school lunches. They should make school lunches more nutritious even though it will be more expensive. In my school there are a lot of kids in JROTC but some of them are over healthy and that is what the military people are trying to say because those kids have a less chance for making it in the military than the healthier kids. That is good that congress and people have made changes in the nutrition system but they should improve it even more. I feel this as a major topic that determines one’s future. People should stay healthy even though they eat school lunch. Those kids that eat school lunch should exercise more than the people who don’t eat it. This is a very concerning topic in which people’s lives are important.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Leo Huang
    Fifth period
    Obesity is a "big" problem these days. And it's gotten a lot worse. However, I didn't know that it was even keeping people from serving in the military. I think that its perfectly reasonable and logical for the military and government to take drastic measure to fix the problem. However, most kids don't even buy from the "healthy" line at lunch. And even if they do, they just skip the vegetables and the fruit. I think that more action needs to be done than just passing a law.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Sam Biedler 5th period.October 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM

    I think that us as Americans, should definitely change our eating habits. If a parent is obese, then their children or child will follow their parents eating habits. Leading to more obesity.
    I also think that the army is doing a great thing by not letting people join if they are unfit. Because if your going to be in the army, then your going to be doing a lot of exercise. So your body has to be either used to that or ready for it. If an unfit person is determined to get in the army, they will do what they can to get in shape to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Samantha Martin
    4th period

    I think what we eat or don't eat is our personal choice. We are all individuals, therefore I believe it is my choice to decide what I should or should not eat. I do understand that obesity is a big problem in the U.S. but my point is, if the government is really concerned about our health, than why don't they do something about it? I'm pretty sure they have enough funding to make school lunches better for kids who buy lunch in the lunch line.

    ReplyDelete
  51. This is hilarious. Just because a bunch of old army soldiers are funding these problems, makes you guys think that this is completely army based. Did it ever occur to any of you guys that it's just a coincidence that these people were in the military and that it just so happened that they noticed this and wanted to do something about it? Besides, even if we do improve school lunches, then the real challenge is getting kids to eat them. As for me, I'm pretty neutral on this. I am for all this get healthy stuff and I myself would participate in it, but at the same time, it's like they are trying to force us into all of this, like they expect us to just go along with it. But all that doesn’t matter because we can't even AFFORD it. We're asking for too much, but the government chooses to give us very little, not that they were going to help us anyway. Something tells me that this is not going to work out.

    Marcus Levine
    4th period

    ReplyDelete
  52. I believe that this article is right about the youth today. They are very obese. Yet I don't agree on the fact that the military thinks it's a threat to national security. The school lunches should be changed to much healthier things, such as having fresh fruits and vegatables that can help us to be better in what we do and have more energy throughout the day. I understand that getting fresh fruits and vegatables cost alot of money for congress, but it should be done in the future do you want a bunch of fat obese zombies craving food going around or do you want stong, fast, energetic people around that help our country and help themselves too. Hopefully the school lunches will be changed so we can have a better school year.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Period 6

    The United States is easily in the top 5 countries for obesity. Being fit has so many upsides. You feel better about yourself, and you live a longer healthier life. I believe it is important for people who serve the country to be fit. The army is a rigorous adventure, and being on top of your physical ability is key. How can you help your country if you can barely take care of yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  54. Erica Barrera
    5th period
    I agree with this article. Obesity has gotten really bad lately. I’m very happy to see people trying to fix this problem but this isn’t something that can be fixed in one day. It will probably take centuries to fix but I think we can do it. We just need to get everyone to participate in it.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Emily Panozzo
    5th Period

    Obesity is not a subject that should be taken lightly. It jeopardizes lives of those who are over weight and the people that surround them. Healthy or not, everyone should be concerned about their health. Obese children today are tomorrow's problem as far as the working force goes. Although it is important that the issue of a "fat nation" be addressed, the fact of the matter is that it isn't as easy as it sounds. Healthy foods are expensive and don't keep as long as foods loaded with fat and preservatives. Although there is a portion of the nation over eating because of emotional reasons, there is a good amount of people who eat unhealthy foods because of the price. The meals at McDonald's or Burger King are much cheaper than an organic meal from elsewhere. This reason is exactly why the school lunches are so very terrible. The schools don't feel that they have enough money to supply kids with the appropriate amount of fruits, vegetables, and other food groups. Time plays a major role too because of the storage required for preserved foods versus organic foods. The military getting involved is a giant leap toward a leaner civilization but I believe that people aren't willing enough to put in the effort for more money for better quality food. So yes, this is a problem, but the nation just isn't ready to eliminate fast food joints.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Abin Joes
    Period 2
    I do not really agree with this because they are only trying to make people healthier so they can serve in the army. They also said that healthier lunches are going to cost more and according to researches, most of the people do not want to risk their lives and be part in the army. And that is why I really disagree with what they are trying to do.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Abby Christopher prd: 5October 17, 2010 at 5:19 PM

    I think obesity is a very big problem in the United States. We are the fattest nation in the world, and it so happens that the second fattest city in America is Houston. I think it is really sad that young people are too obese and out of shape to fight for their country. Better nutritional food should be available in schools. If the nation worked together, I think that is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Nick Grieger
    2nd period

    I agree with this article, but it is not just the school lunches that make obese people the way they are. There are many things that make kids unable to be physical enough for the army which include lack of exercise. This lack of exercise and the amount of calories that they take in both make people fat. I believe this decision will make a start to help obese people.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Rebecca Johnson, 5th PeriodOctober 17, 2010 at 6:07 PM

    Obesity is its own problem and I don't understand why the only way that it gets attention is through retired military leaders saying that people are too big to fight. Personally I think that some people might take that offensively, I mean calling someone big is kind of rude. Plus joining the military or the army of whatever you would like to do is a choice, you volunteer for these types of things. If people are obese I’m sure that they understand that they cannot volunteer for any of these things and if they really wanted to they would lose the weight, anyways back to the fact that obesity has not been recognized as a very big problem until now, with all the unhealthy foods, it was sure to cause a problem. Something needs to be done about it, nut not for the fact that some people feel that being obese is a problem for the military.

    ReplyDelete
  60. To me, this is a pretty humurous blog. But getting straight to the point, I agree with the U.S. military on this. Think about if we ever had a crisis such as another World War and there had to be a draft, and the amount of people that would have to be rejected because they are too fat to fight or run. The amount of people in America that are overweight and obese is ludicrous. I say obese and not fat because I don't want to be misundserstood. You can be chubby and that's not bad because that is just your body structure. Honestly, when I see obese people, I think that they are too lazy to take care of themselves and don't care about their appeareance. It is a disgrace when people get to a size where they can be considered obese. I also believe that while the governement should step in to stop this trend, children and parents should take a lot more responsibility. When parents see their kids getting to a point where they are too fat, they should know to take the treats and snacks out of the house. It's good that the military is taking action and thinking of the future because it is having an effect on things such as school lunches which are healthier. With the exception of people who have diseases or problems with their body that isn't under their control, obese people should be ashamed and not suprised especially when they are judged in public.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Joel Simon
    4th period

    I don’t agree with this because the military just wants us to join the army. But I do agree with how they should make school lunches healthier. If they want Americans to become healthier they should lower the prices of healthy food instead of making the prices to expensive for Americans to buy. I think people need to start watching their weight so they can be fit.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Bailey Banks
    6th period

    Obesity should be addressed, but America's "too fat to fight" reason to make healthier lunches is not the right idea. We should want to improve nutrition to better the society so that their are more healthy Americans, the fighting part should not be on the top of the list as to why we should improve this. I also agree with Andremarie, because obesity is definitely not all about the food, some of the most fit people eat like there is no tomorrow, but yet burn all of the extra calories to maintain a healthy weight range. Exercise should be the main focus over the food and calorie intake.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Kyne Onyenze
    3rd Period

    I always thought that joining the army was a volunteer service, not a requirement. Although the army does have a point that 27 percent of young adults are over-weight. That’s not good because if this rate continues, pretty soon all Americans will be too fat and I’m sure in other countries the stereotypes for us will be that Americans are too fat. 23% more calories per day than in 1970, pretty soon that number will increase and American will be too fat. If the army thinks this expensive then why are they making eating healthier more expensive? Everyone is already trying to save money because the economy is getting worse again and yet they make eating healthier more expensive? If you think about it, they should make eating healthier cheaper. They should also fund for it so that more people might be willing to join the army and actually pass the army fitness test.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Ervin Ricasio
    Period 5

    This is crazy. People are volunteered to be in the military, but when someone of them volunteer they were rejected for being unhealthy. There aren’t so many people in the military. They are saying that the healthy lunches will cost even more. Maybe if everyone started eating healthy, stayed active, and exercise often then they wouldn’t have to go through these situations. Some people are eating fast food like almost every single day, never exercising, and just living a lazy life. That’s why the number of obesity people is high. We can really doing anything about this. It is up to them.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Betty Ponce
    3rd period.
    I agree with Leo,obesity is a major problem in the U.S. And I believe that the armed forces have every right to strictly allow only certain recruits to join because they want the best in there. The people who are turned away from the forces shouldn't be completely outraged by these actions and if they really wanted to be in the military than they should do something about it to fix their dilemma. Although the government passes laws and acts to help with young adults and their obesity, I think they need to find a better way to enforce this.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Nico Alba
    Period 2
    I find the article interesting in that as far as we have come as a nation, we cannot get physically fit. With the health and technology these days, and knowing even more how the human body works, there is no reason for Americans to be so overweight as a nation. This being a threat to national security is even more ridiculous. Our soldiers are a part of the most technologically advanced country in the world, there has to be a way to start early with America's youth and the diet that they consume. If our soldiers that protect this country aren't physically fit, they are endangering themselves and others. We need to find a solution to this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  67. 2nd Period

    I agree that schools should be watching out for our nation's children. But not only them, everyone else as a whole. Not is it only the food itself, it's the people who choose to eat it. When obesity collides with joining the armed forces, I think it's completely bogus. I do see the way they're planning to go about with the health issues, but wouldn't you think they would let a citizen support their country? I think the physical aspects of people shouldn't get in the way of showing their pride and being able to join the army or whatever they want to pursue.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I think we Americans should think with a much more open mind. What someone eats is what he or she likes to eat at that time. Neither the government nor any other health departments have the right to determine what a human being wills to consume to enjoy the pleasure of taste .

    ReplyDelete
  69. If a child wants to be healthy, that is all right. If some people with military ties promote healthy lunches, that is all right too. If those people with military ties recruit people to the military, then that is perfectly fine. It is really sad that some of the comments on this blog are avidly against recruiting by the military. Our armed services fight and die for us. It is extremely disrespectful to hate on them for any reason. If the military could not get more recruits, we would all be killed by terrorists.

    ReplyDelete