Monday, November 8, 2010

Proposed Ban Puts Justices In ’Mortal Kombat’ Ring

Proposed Ban Puts Justices In ’Mortal Kombat’ Ring

Washington Post
By Robert Barnes
November 3, 2010

At the end of an animated and sometimes contentious Supreme Court argument Tuesday about whether the Constitution protects an emerging new art form - the violent video game - only one thing was clear:

Torturing or maiming a Vulcan is not enough to trigger California's law prohibiting the sale of such games to minors. The damage, the state's attorney told the court, has to be done to "an image of a human being."

Other than that, it was a struggle on the bench between justices who indicated that California has a right to keep juveniles from buying games with images of almost unimaginable brutality, and others who think that the Constitution doesn't allow the government to restrict violent depictions.

It was the court's first examination of a phenomenon that has reached into two-thirds of American homes and spawned an industry that exceeds $10 billion a year. Social scientists debate the long-term impact of violent games, parents worry about a technology their children understand better than they do, and some states want to ban sales to juveniles, or at least to have the option in the future.

Modern technology and cultural trends are not always the court's strong suits. Crime novels, violent movies and rap lyrics all figured into Tuesday's argument, as the justices debated whether restrictions on the sale of sexual materials to minors should be expanded to include depictions of violence.

The argument's essence was captured in an exchange between Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., who seemed sympathetic to California, and lawyer Paul M. Smith, who said the First Amendment protects his clients, the game producers.

"We have here a new . . . medium that cannot possibly have been envisioned at the time when the First Amendment was ratified," Alito told Smith.

"We do have a new medium here, Your Honor," Smith agreed. "But we have a history in this country of new mediums coming along and people vastly overreacting to them, thinking the sky is falling [and] our children are all going to be turned into criminals."

He mentioned congressional hearings in the 1950s about the dangers of comic books.

A majority of the justices appeared to have big reservations about California's law, which was passed in 2005 and signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R). The irony that the plaintiff had starred in "Conan the Barbarian" and "The Terminator" was noted in signs carried outside by gamer demonstrators. The law has been blocked by lower courts.

It would prohibit the sale or rental to anyone younger than 18 of a video game that allows a player the option of "killing, maiming, dismembering or sexually assaulting" a human image.

Borrowing from the court's obscenity jurisprudence, the game as a whole would have to be judged to appeal to the deviant or morbid interest of minors, be patently offensive to the community as it relates to minors and lack serious "literary, artistic, political or scientific value for minors." Each violation could result in a $1,000 penalty for retailers.

Justice Antonin Scalia led the aggressive questioning of Zackery P. Morazzini, a deputy California attorney general. Morazzini said the "deviant level of violence" in some video games "can be no less harmful to the development of minors" than sexual materials. The court ruled in 1968 that those could not be sold to minors.

But Scalia said that besides the law being unworkably vague, "I am concerned with the First Amendment, which says Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech."

He continued: "And it was always understood that the freedom of speech did not include obscenity. It has never been understood that the freedom of speech did not include portrayals of violence."

That led Alito to playfully poke at Scalia's theory of "originalism" - relying on the founders' concept of what the Constitution meant at the time.

"I think what Justice Scalia wants to know is what James Madison thought about video games," Alito said to Morazzini, while courtroom spectators laughed.

"No, I want to know what James Madison thought about violence," Scalia responded.

Morazzini said California's interest is in helping parents keep some images from their children. He cited studies that have shown video games to be different from other media in that the player is involved in directing violence depicted on the screen.

But other justices wondered where the line would be drawn.

"Could you get rid of rap music?" Justice Sonia Sotomayor asked. Justice Elena Kagan appeared skeptical of the idea that playing the games can lead to violent behavior, estimating that most of the Supreme Court clerks probably grew up playing the "iconic" video game "Mortal Kombat."

And several pointed out that California's law makes no distinctions among minors, be they 10 years old or 17.

But three justices - Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., Stephen G. Breyer and Alito - seemed particularly disturbed by the games and the argument that states have no power to keep them from juveniles.

"So your position is that the First Amendment does not, cannot, no matter what type of law - whether this one is vague or not - that the state legislature cannot pass a law that says you may not sell to a 10-year-old a video in which they set schoolgirls on fire?" Roberts asked Smith.

Smith said the court noted just last term that the First Amendment protects even distasteful speech in declaring unconstitutional a federal law banning depictions of animal cruelty.

He added that the game industry has acted to keep the most violent games from reaching children, with parental controls on gaming machines and more sophisticated content labeling than what California proposed.

Roberts, the only justice with young children, replied that "any 13-year-old can bypass parental controls in about five minutes."

Breyer suggested that states can go further than what the industry imposes on itself.

If parents want their child to have a game in which he can "impose gratuitous, painful, excruciating, torturing violence upon small children and women, perhaps they have the right," he said. But "why isn't it common sense to say a state has the right to say, 'Parent, if you want that for your 13-year-old, you go buy it yourself.'"

103 comments:

  1. Let's do a better job of reading and making an effort to comprehend the article. I was disappointed in the fact that many people missed the mark on last week's article. It was not talking about stop signs and yield signs. Also, the changes for the upper and lower case letters would not be mixed, as many of you wrote (example: KNiGhTs cOuRT) It would be "Knights Court". I also had hoped that someone would have picked up on how the street signs down some of Hwy 6. Many of them are already how it is being proposed. It would have been interesting to see what you thought about the differences.
    Let's do better this week! Submit early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esteban Palacios
    6th period

    If parents don’t want to let their children see violence in games then why buy it? I mean if they try to get rid of those games all the kids will just go and find something else to do that has to do with violence. All the kids are just trying to break free of the bonds that are hold on to them. I myself play HALO which, according to this article, is a violence game even though the point of the game is about saving humanity. True some games are over exaggerating in some games to the point were there are live looking guts flying and I do agree with those games be more heavily enforced to where only the parent can say if they get it. But having a law to actually ban all games from kids when they can not even get them without a parent is just STUPID!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chaz Talab 3rd PeriodNovember 8, 2010 at 1:54 PM

    I find that the law that the government wants out is almost pointless. From my experience me and my friends all go to the game store with their parents and the parents buy the game. This would make the law pointless. Also I don’t see how well this is going to go with the gaming companies. Almost most of the game industry is based off of under-aged teens buying games (whether the game is 18 or older or not). If this law is released, I think it will release a big controversy and will not end well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Raines
    4th Period
    Well for one thing I think if a video game is so graphic to the point that a minor should not posses it then it shouldn’t be sold to anyone. I am a complete pacifist. However, I think passing a law like this one is beyond ridiculous. Yes, violent images could corrupt a child’s mind but it is not as though movies don’t do the same or songs or books. Also games do have ratings so if parents are so concerned of their child’s well being they have the right to take up the game or not even purchase it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Period 2

    For most people, they do not care if their child is playing violent video games or watch violent and scary movies. What some research shows is that most kids 10 years ago that were playing the first shooting gamers, started to get addicted so when the parents grounded them from the video games, they became violent and started attack the parents. Since that at least 20 percent of the kids that played those video games are criminals, hunters, or soldiers wanting the craving to shoot or kill something. But for most video games these days I think that even 8 year olds will start playing the violent shooting games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mariah Cooper Period 3November 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM

    A game is a game. If a child doesn't understand that the things on the game are fake, and they get scared then obviously the child should not have the game. It's all about what their parents let them have. The law is not necessary because everybody makes their own decisions, and nobody is forced to buy anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Period 4

    This law is pointless. Violent video games are, for the most part, harmless. I have plenty of friends that play plenty of violent games (Call of Duty, etc.), and they do not seem affected or changed at the slightest. They do talk about it and discuss it, but it is really for the sake of bragging rights among each other, not because they are obsessed with it. While I am not big on war games, I do like fighting and fairly violent games and I do not run around trying to imitate the actions depicted in the games. Then, there is parental responsibility. The California lawmakers should not be making this decision for other people's kids; the people should be making this decision about their own kids. If parents find this acceptable for their children, then leave it at that. Also, if this type of violence is so bad, where is the law for movies, TV shows, books, and everything else in the media? Hopefully this doesn't get passed, I don't want them messing with my games.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, there are some valid points in here. I recently found out about a game called Homefront, where Korea invades the U.S. In the beginning of this game innocent Americans are lined up and shot to death in front of their children while your character is sitting helplessly in a prison bus. All of the sudden rebels free your character, give him a gun, and you mercilessly slay the Koreans. This game was designed to make you feel angry and want to kill. Tell me, is that healthy? I believe these video games are desensitizing the youth of america to the point where they will be able to pick up a gun and kill someone in real life with no more hesitation than in a video game. Some people have said that the video games are doing nothing. Well, you wouldn't see it now, but later, if the circumstances were right, they would kill you no slower than a person in a game. But my question is; is it morally right to take someones life away because they took someone else's away? Do any of us have that right? I guess my point is that games are like alcohol, if used in moderation it can be pleasurable, but if used too much it can have disastrous long-term effects. They may not appear right away, but they will appear at some point. So my main point is; be careful. By the way, I thought you all might like to know that the military uses some of these games to desensitize their soldiers so they don't have too big of a problem with killing people on the field. So, who wants to be a killing machine?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tyler Morris
    4th period
    I think that this is an issue to be discussed at home, if parents want their kids to see that stuff then that is their choice. I personally like to turn off things that do that kind of violence, why is that fun? What is the point to this whole video game? Not cool violent video games.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Period 5
    I believe that people should not allow kids to play such horrible games. For kids, the things they see and the things they know greatly reflects on their everyday lives. If all they see is people killing others, then what's going to happen? Kinder-gardeners will be carrying knives to school and stabbing and fighting other kids! That is just horrible and extremely unethical. Parents should control what their children are seeing and playing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AJ Baath
    6th PD
    I completely disagree with the ideals of people who think that the sale of mature video games to minors is a major problem. Let me get one thing out of the way, video games are pure entertainment and should not trigger a violent reaction in the gamer unless there is something wrong with them. I myself play my share of video games filled with blood, guts, and gore. For example, Call of Duty: Black Ops (which came out today and is pretty awesome) has the works; blood, language, violence, etc.. You don’t see me running around campus with a machine gun now do you. The effects of video games, if they are present, are not as near as extreme as most people think they are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that we are all takinng this out of content. It is just a video game no matter what it has in it. If we are getting mad about video games having violince then we should take it out of the movies, shows and everything else that has blood and killing in it. It really all has to do with what you feel about the game.
    Roy Glover

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marcus Levine 4th periodNovember 9, 2010 at 5:31 PM

    Well Josh, I do have to agree with you on some aspects, but think about who buys the games for these children. I was playing a round of Halo: Reach with a kid who claimed he was turning eight. Now, do you think that an eight year old kid is going to save up sixty bucks, go to a game store and buy it by himself? NO! His parents probably had to buy the game for him. They went to the store, they paid the money and they took it home so that their child can play said game. I think that it is the PARENTS who are confused. Even if California restricts certain games to adults, hoe do they know that the parents are just going to stop buying them for their kids anyway. Also, what people may not understand, is that video games have more to them than just killing. They have a story line. Think about all the Real Time Strategy games. Anyone could play chess, but in chess, your opponent will wait, and you can take your sweet time, but in these form of games. You will not have time to think for too long. While you are thinking, your opponent could be the one "holding the gun" and is ready to take aim. These kinds of games have a way of making people think on their feet. Strategy is key they say, and that is exactly what these games bring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Abels Koshy
    Period: 6

    I believe this law is unnecessary. The people have the right to choose what games they want to buy. I know many people who play violence games (Modern Warfare, etc.). These people are not changed mentally they don’t imitate the actions found in theses games. Sure, they talk about these games, because they want to brag to others about heir ranks and achievements accomplished in the game. I also play violence games, but it doesn’t change who I am. So, the government should decide what games people need to play. Now days, games have ratings to tell parents about the actions performed in the games. All they have to do is look at them, and decide if it is appropriate for their kid. The people should have the right to choose their own games and accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No offense but the justices are taking video game violence way out of hand. It's really too late to put a ban on violent games, they should have done this before these type of games became a huge demand. Kids these days will just use parents or guardians to get the games for them as Christmas presents or birthday gifts. Video games are most young kids addiction, they fall into the world of game play as a result of pleasure or a way to escape the real world. Other than that, violent games are usually seen as the normal in a gamer's world. Taking those away would cause an outburst of many kids and teenagers across the nation. If they want to solve this problem, they need to create a game that's fun to play without violence but I doubt the game will be that popular or on demand. Let's face it, American kids are becoming more violent each day and seek pleasure in causing in to virtual people who won't actually suffer the consequences and keep reappearing.

    Period 6

    ReplyDelete
  16. John Gann
    Period 4


    If I am not mistaken there is already a rating system where you have to be certain age to buy the game. This rating system has age restriction to certain content. If a video game has content that is not suitable for youth (rape, violence, etc.) there is a higher rating (higher the rating higher the age to purchase). The people buying the games for the youth are the parents. The parents have to look into what they are investing, because 8 year olds should not be playing a killing game. I personally play the Call Of Duty series, which is a first person shooter series, and when I play there is often the 8 year old boy swearing his head off at other people playing. So, the video games influencing youth is not as much a content issue, but a parenting issue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Charlene Sigua
    Period 4

    I think this law is really pointless. If a parent wants to buy a violent video game for their child, so be it. If not, they won't buy the game for their child. As other people have all ready said; It's about what a parent lets their child see. They can choose what their child can see or not see.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mayur Patel
    Period 4

    If people think that some of the video games are to graphic with too much violence, they either shouldn't be sold or it shouldn't be bought. Most of the time it's the parent who buys the video game, so whatever decision the parents make must be good for the child. Sometimes kids can get addicted but then it is the parents choice on how they want their kid to act.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok, I think that they should make it a point to where it is illegal to even produce video games that influence negative behavior. But then again we should also put some of the blame on our parents because if you're allowing your child to buy or even play games as such then you're pretty much giving them the "okay" to do bad things. So this issue is not so much going to be solved by banning the game from minors. But it all starts at home with the parents and how and what they're teaching their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 3rd period

    I think that this is stupid. I believe that once again the government is trying to control everything and worrying about silly things. Who cares if a ten year old is playing an M game. That is the parents choice and if they think that is okay then so be it. I really wish they would stop crying over small things like this and do something better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chasidy Twine (2nd period)November 10, 2010 at 2:25 PM

    I think parents are blowing this whole situation out of proportion. It's just a video game, and if you don't want your child to be exposed to the violence then don't purchase the game for them. I feel that life is filled with hate crimes and brutality so whats the difference from seeing it on the news and playing the game. You cant hide things from your kids forever so you might as well explain to them that it is JUST A GAME and let them enjoy playing it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jasmyne Amos (3rd prd)November 10, 2010 at 2:51 PM

    To me this is just silly. If you think your child is influenced by the video games they put out then don't buy them. I think weather a child should play a certain game or not is all on the parent’s decision. Even if they could do it, the children would still get it from the music they listen to. It is not just rap music that contains violent verses. There is rock/alternative music that has some heavy violence in it. They could also find violence in the movies they watch and other children from school. Like I said they should leave these types of things for the parents. Like some of the other comments said these are just game. These people need to realize the difference between make believe and the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Alvin Mei
    2nd Period

    The point of videogames are for the people to have fun. The violence in videogames are not that big of a deal, and if theywant to play a violent videogame all of a sudden, then they probably already have been exposed to violence. I mean there are news of rape and violence on the television everyday so everywhere you child goes, he/she can be exposed to all kinds of stuff. Children can mistake many violent things and think it in another perspective. The only way to do that is to teach your child the "no no" of violence to your child.d

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jenny Chang
    Period 5

    If parents want their kids to play violent games rated above their ages, then I guess they have the right to do that. The law is there to protect not to restrain us. Before parents allow their kids play rated M games, they should consider all of the voilent, mature content in the games. If after that they still think it's appropriate, then kids have the permission to play. I also think the game makers should not even design unhumane games.

    ReplyDelete
  25. First of all, this has all gotten out of hand. Where are the parents? If there is such a concern about the violence and video games, then the parents need to be more pro-active. If they don't want their children to play these games, then don't purchase them! I partly blame the parents being too willing to give in to what their child wants and what they buy for them. There are violent images on the evening news too, but we can choose whether or not we watch it. As responsible parents they can say the same thing about video games.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amita Batra
    3rd Period

    I disagree with a lot of those who say to just leave it up to the parents because not all parents are responsible with their kids. Although not all kids will pick up bad habits, some kids can and become future criminals because habits develop at an early age. I feel like these video games and inappropriate content everywhere is the reason that society keeps on getting more corrupted by the day. If we limit the video games a little bit, it may take away some of the future's violence.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Katie Snyder (2nd period)November 10, 2010 at 5:28 PM

    Katie Snyder period 2
    To be honest, this law, if passed, would just be an obstacle for kids wanting the video games. You parent would have to go and spend their time to buy the game, and if they say no, everyone has an older sibling or friend who is of age, and if not that, then your best friend probably has all the video games that you don't own. There is a law prohibiting children under the age of 17 to rent, or purchase a ticket or DVD for an R rated movie, but this weekend, and some friend got together to watch an R rated movie. How? 4 of the people were 18 and, 2 were 17. We easily got the movie and enjoyed it. Now the 3 of us who were under 17 years old didn't have to do anything accept wait in line with everyone to purchase the movie.
    I say that most parents know what their kids are doing, and most kids aren't going to do something that their parents don't want them too. Most kids also have the common sense not to let a 5 year-old play a game where you set girls on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Violent video games shouldn't be sold. If parents don't want their children playing violent video games, don't buy it for them. Children are seeing the same violent things everyday on the news so there's no point in stopping them from playing the video games. There's just the matter that you did your job as a parent by watching out for your child and taking care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ann Lobo (5th period)November 10, 2010 at 6:27 PM

    WHOA. HOLD UP.
    They're thinking of banning video games? Wow!
    This law is POINTLESS. First off, I would like to say that why would they not let kids buy video games, and only let adults buy them? Kids are VERY smart, they can get mom or dad to buy their dream for them. And plus, a video game is a video game, it's not true! Yes, I understand the fact that the violence in the video games are a horrible role model for kids, but, why can't a parent just ground their kid for being an addict? And if their child attacks them, why not just send their child for therapy? All these problems can be solved, there is no point of banning video games.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jerry George
    3rd Period

    This problem is quite interesting, to say more or less. In fact, the article explains how comic books were treated the same way before the controversy of video games. There will be those people who want to keep things traditional, without any extra things that seem dangerous in the wrong hands. Those two justices who fear video games are right in part with what people can be influenced to do by video games, but they cannot prevent a child skilled in changing parental controls from playing such games or parents who just want to get something their children see everyone have. There are too many factors, such as the parents and peer pressure, that affect the situation and cause these problems. Movies, television, cars, and many other things can bring fear on what mass destruction they can create and these things have still caused more deaths to occur even with laws on them, since Katie explained how people can bypass these regulations to see or have these things either way. To sum up my point, I just feel that video games, just like television or any other addicting thing, needs awareness to truly prevent problems like people killing each other because they saw how to do so on a video game. Not everyone will try to do something that horrendous, but it is just mental awareness and precariousness on what to do, just as everyone above me said. Children should not feel provoked to do something they find being done in a game or played by their peer, but instead should focus on more important tasks that help them to succeed at life, like earning a degree to get a good job they can enjoy and live off of while having some games to play during free time. Rights should not be at stake, just mental awareness since most decisions on buying video games comes from the parents themselves who work to earn money, not the children.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lloyd Farley (2nd Period)November 11, 2010 at 3:14 PM

    This should really be up to the parents and the kids. Most young kids get rides from their parents and use their parent’s money to buy the games. The parents just need to know what they are buying for their kids by reading the game ratings. We don’t need laws to enforce morality; because morals are something gained through life experiences not buy enforcement. My parents were pretty lenient on the games I played and now I choose not to play games that are not excessively violent because I was given the chance to develop my own beliefs of right and wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Kaylah Moore
    2nd Period
    I agree with Ann Lobo; it’s “pointless.” Why ban video games? It is fake, fantasy. Like video games, movies and t.v. shows can be violent. If the child doesn’t have enough common sense to not do what they see, then that is obviously the parents. So preventing children from buying such video games isn’t going to help; the parents are just going to buy it for them. You can’t change someone’s parenting regardless of the law.

    ReplyDelete
  33. K'Vonna Johnson
    5th period
    Well Ann Lobo I think it is the fact that kids are becoming violent because of these games. Maybe not us but especially kids under 11 and 12 because their minds are more innocent and naive. It's not cool to just band video games all together! This should apply just to certain age groups unless parents are there to buy it for them personally.If either would happen I could care less because I'm not as much as a "gamer" as others unless it comes to sports. So whatever they do is the right choice in this situation. But i still think that games influence people and kids especially.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Carolyne Lu
    Period 3

    I personally think there should not be a law against graphic video games. If parents feel that their children are being exposed to inappropriate content because of video games, then they should not allow their kids to purchase them. It doesn't make sense to ban video games; they were made for our pleasure, right? So let's keep it that way, but let's have the parents decide whether or not they want their kids playing all these violent games.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Prerna Kamnani
    4th Period

    This law is completely pointless and unnecessary. It should be the parents taking control over their children. If they do not want their kids to be corrupted by such games, then don’t buy. These kids are obviously buying the video games through their parent’s money. Also, if this law passes, then children will only want the video games even more than before because of the restriction. I agree that video games do contain violence, and I do not think it impacts the person who plays it. Everybody plays videogames, but that does not mean everyone will become a criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just as most people have been saying I also think that this law is just pointless. If the parents don't want there kids to play it then don't let them play it. Then, some might say that the parents don't control that well then maybe there not criminals because of the game rather because there parents failed them. All in all I think this kind of has to do with the economy. It is very disappointing to see what the government is spending its time on.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Emily Panozzo
    4th Period

    As a teenager myself, this is going to be hard to make a definite decision on. I mean, I like rap music along with every other person in high school I know. Yes, if it is analyzed it sounds terrible but most teens aren't thinking, "I want to go shoot someone" after they listen to rap or any kind of explicit music. Besides, if music or video games that were deemed unsuitable for teens were only allowed for people over 18 to buy then sales will decrease drastically for the companies and artists. The main audience for products about violence are teenagers. I'm speaking mostly for rap because that is what parents seem to be most concerned about. But, the concern is useless because this genre is still music. Just like any other artist they too have a story to tell, so why silence them. If video games or music were supposedly causing violence it isn't just because they exist that causes violence, but it is the fact that those listening aren't responsible. But that is unavoidable. There will always be those who aren't responsible but the nation should just deal with it. Overall, I think these things shouldn't have an age limit.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Erica Barrera
    5th period
    If parents or other people don’t like what they see in graphic video games or hear the graphic words in songs then why do they allow it to be sold or heard by people because let’s be real here, you know it’s going to be heard and seen by your child. You can say it won’t. Parents should have a say so on if a song should be heard by people or a video game should be sold in stores. You can’t do anything by just complaining. You have to actually get up off your couch and put your word out there. The parents also have to trust their kids. You can’t just assume your child will do what’s in the video game or say what they hear in songs.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I believe that this is over exaggerated issue. Many things have to do with killing someone and if we can't play video games if we are under 18 does this mean we can't watch the news? Does this mean that books like All Quiet on the Western Front should be banned because it's about war? I believe that if a kid is influenced by a video game it is the parent’s responsibility to deal with it as they see fit. If a kid can't responsibly play video games then they should be limited in what they play. I think the amount they are influenced is affected by the upbringing the parents gave them. If they did not set what is right and wrong well then someone could become influenced, but if they have a clear sense they know the things they play are wrong to do in real life and wouldn't do them.
    -Ryan Haines Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  40. John Moore
    4th Period
    I agree With John Gann on this there is already a designated rating called the ESRB rating and it goes from E-A E meaning everyone and their baby could play it to A being only adults are supposed to play it because of its themes. I believe that California has gone over board with their power by trying to censor our economy to youths like us. Isn't America about being censorship free? I thought that was why we fought for our freedom from Britain was so that we had our individual freedom to do whatever we wanted to do with our money. everyone younger than thirty has probably played a violent video game and realized that it isn't bad it is just what you do after it that affects you.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Jeffrey Jhingree
    4th period

    Like many others, I think that this law to ban violent video games is pointless. It is the parents who normally by the games for the young kids to play. The parents should read the label on the back to see if the game has violence and strong language in it. Even if the parents do not buy the game, the kids will still see all the violence in movies and on the news. So instead of focusing on banning violent video games, the government should focus on more important things that is going on in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Alright if the government is doing this to video games, why don't they do it to books? Violent books also can make a child think about murder. Books about murder, killing aliens, going to a secret spy books where people shoot each other are some of the most popular book. While they are at it, they can ban Harry Potter so kids don't jump of cliffs with a broom in their hands. Video games are violent, but most people aren't going to jump on a roof with a sniper like in Call of Duty. I play all these games, but I don't think I'm going to be in San Fransisco free-firing at random people. Overall, I think it is the buyer's decision what games they want. Plus video games were made for us in the first place, so lets keep it that way!

    Jay Shah--6th

    ReplyDelete
  43. Melvin Valimattathil
    Period 6

    There is no point of this law. If you do not like your child playing violent videogames do not buy it for them or just do not even by them a game console. The point of videogames are for the people to have fun. The violence in videogames are not that big of a deal it just as bit of FAKE blood but there is nothing really wrong here,that I see.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Michael Brennan 3rd periodNovember 13, 2010 at 5:29 PM

    I think this is a more at home issue. If the parents want to let them play these games and they are just games then there should be nothing stopping them. There is a rating system in place so that shows the parents that want to restrict it aware what the game is about. The parents know what there kids are playing so they can make sure they're not playing horrible games. This is a discussion and decision that needs to be made at home.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I agree and disagree with what the government is arguing about. Yes, violent video games do have an effect on children and even older kids. There was a girl killed by Oil Field Rd. and when asked why the suspects did what they did, they said that after playing a game they wanted to know what it felt like to kill someone. So, yes there is an effect with violent video games. However, if the parents know that their kids can't handle that a game is a game and they will go crazy over it, then why buy it for them? Parents do have control over what they expose their children to, to an extent. If they are not going to take control of that and just complain about the gaming industry, then it's their fault. So in my opinion, the effects of the violent video games can be controlled.

    Ann Mathew/ P.6

    ReplyDelete
  46. Shelby Hendon
    Period 4

    Personally, I think the idea behind the proposal is good, if a video game, is considered too bad by the governments standards, then it shouldn't be on the market at all. At the same time, I also understand why people would oppose this proposal. Some people might not like that the government, is saying whats alright for their kids to do, and not to do. Maybe we should just leave it up to the parents to decide, how much is too much. Another point, this could just make the kids want this game even more. If you ban something from someone, they're just going to want it more, that's just the way kids are.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Dylan Allotta
    5th

    I think that this is yes a preposterous proposal, yet I understand the angle in which people are coming from. It's not the general population of 10 to 17 year-olds that take video games and music literally, but there are the few children who do, which I can see causing some concern. However, I believe the effect of taking away games and music such as what is discussed in the article would have a more negative effect on people. When children are not exposed to certain things until they are 18, which is when most kids must go live on their own without the guidance of their parents, they are severely unprepared for life and what's really in this world. The effect this would have on children would be far worse than the few who take these things seriously. Now of course though every child is different and they mature a different ages so the age at which they are able to obtain such games and music like these should all be different. However this decision should be solely up to the parents who know their kids best.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Joel Simon
    4th period

    I think it’s the parents job to know what the kids watch. Little kids like 10 and under shouldn’t be playing violent games. But kids always will see violent things happen like in the newspaper or on television. They have ratings on the game so if the parents know their kids are not old enough to play it then they shouldn’t be playing it.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Chris Bready
    6th period

    Is the government trying to be our parents? Why on earth would they make a law about buying a video game? It is not their job to keep track of what we pay, that's what our parents do. If the parent buys it for their kid, then let them take care of telling the kid that everything he does in the game is not real. Trying to ban a video game is just ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Danielle Uy 5th PeriodNovember 14, 2010 at 7:53 AM

    Personally, I think the law is unnecessary. Some of these video games nowadays are gruesome and violent, but that just goes to show how parents are ignorant. It's really up to the parents to decide whether their kids play corruptive games because I mean they pay for it, absentmindedly. Video game promoters need to spread more awareness about the fact that a game is simply just a game before players get fooled.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Abby Christopher (5th prd)November 14, 2010 at 9:56 AM

    I think this is law is worthless. I mean, we have to think about it both ways. There is the side of kids becoming violent, and there is the side of the video game makers. The government wants there to be more jobs, but isn’t banning certain video games from children a way of making a video game maker lose his job? Kids want violent games and most of them know better than to go out and kill someone. Playing video games is just a way to release frustration for some people, and taking it away could ruin a child.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Samantha Martin
    4th period

    This law is really pointless. If this law is passed it will only persuade more kids to get these video games. I think this should be something handled between the parents and their child. It is, after all, the parents fault anyway for letting their kid get the video games in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  53. 3rd Period

    Attorneys shouldn't blame the game for the violence. The game was made to entertain people. Violence isn't the only thing contributing to video game-related crimes. A certain shouldn't be banned because the person playing the game thinks in ways that others don't. Instead of punishing the game and those who invented it, you should punish the person who played the game and did the crime.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Ervin Ricasio
    Period 5

    This article is very interesting. If this law is released then it would be completely pointless, because parents should be responsible to know what games their children are playing if they have a console. My older cousin is 18 and he plays Call of Duty “A violent game”, but a younger child playing violent games is a complete different story. First of all, their parents shouldn’t be letting their child play those games. Those games are a bad influence towards younger children.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Ervin Ricasio
    Period 5

    This article is very interesting. If this law is released then it would be completely pointless, because parents should be responsible to know what games their children are playing if they have a console. My older cousin is 18 and he plays Call of Duty “A violent game”, but a younger child playing violent games is a complete different story. First of all, their parents shouldn’t be letting their child play those games. Those games are a bad influence towards younger children.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Doesn't the government have more important things to worry about? This is a matter for a child's parents. Personally, I don't think little kids should be playing these games. But if their parents let them, then it's fine. And just because you play violent video games doesn't make you violent. I know that game COD: Black Ops just came out, and although I have never played and have no idea what it is, I am postive its violent. And I know that a bunch of people have bought it already. Like I said, its up to the parent. And why is "The Terminator" making such a law?

    ReplyDelete
  57. Eby Lukose 3rd periodNovember 14, 2010 at 12:55 PM

    To me, this law is really dumb. It's a parent's decision as to if they want their child exposed to violence or not, not the government's. If a parent is alright with their child playing violent games, then why should the government care, enough to the extent where they want to pass a law? This is pointless. These video games are not directly harming anyone. A law does not need to be passed for something that is a decision, such as violent video games.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Azim Hemdani
    Peiod 2
    I personally think that mature video games should be allowed after all it is fun and things kids love to play the most. Talking about violent games being sold to minorities, I think they should be sold because not all kids will turn into “criminals”. I doubt any if be will become criminals. I think it’s a way for them to disapprove the kids to play violent video games. A lot of violent games are considered to be fun by teens for example Call of Duty: modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops. Even before Black Ops came out a whole bunch of people or in this case kids pre-ordered the game. Why? Because its fun not because it’s rated mature but because it’s a fun and experiencing game. Plus some games that are rated pg-13 and E for everyone are not always fun and now days since people play online on x box and ps3’s people want to play such killing and shooting games to play with friends and make new ones. Plus they will know what kinds of guns there are. So again I say I think they should be allowed to play mature video games.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I think parents are crazy with this whole situation. It's just a video game, and if you don't want your child to be exposed to the violence then don't purchase the game for them. I feel that life is filled with stuff like hate,and brutality so whats the difference from seeing it on the news and playing the game. You can't hide things from your kids forever so you might as well explain to them that it is just a game and let them enjoy playing it.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Edward Richard (4th Period)November 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM

    Edward Richard
    4th period

    There is no need for all of the complexity for something like this. It should be up to the parents if they want their child to have a video game, that is to graphic for them. Its not like they don't know what it is or not. On every game case in the bottom left hand corner, there will be one of three letters. Either an E for everyone, T for teens, or an M for mature. Most people at the registers will not allow you to buy it, without a parents consent. It should be nothing more to it than that.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Alexandria Stanciel
    3rd period,
    11/14/10 4:27pm

    This has really been an issue in my family. My brothers have a lot of violent video games like "Grand Theft Auto", and my mother always said to them "if your sister is in the room, don’t play it." At that point in time I was only about 9, but now that I am a little older and know the difference between good and bad, she says its okay for us to play the games, as long as we don’t act on them. She used to put codes on the computer and on the gaming systems so that we couldn’t play the "more violent games". Yet in about 15 minutes we would be playing the games because we've broken the code. I think that if a parent didn’t want their child to play a violent video game then they shouldn’t make the game available to the child. If there is no game to be played of to me found and played without your knowing then it wont be a problem. They shouldn’t put an age limit on the games. The parents should just be conscious of what they let their kids play or watch.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Cortney Corley
    Period 4
    I agree with most of the people who posted before me. Its just a game. Violence is everywhere in our world. Laws against video games wont change much of anything. People who play video games would probably just find another source of violence. If the parents don't like what their kids are exposed to, then they shouldn't allow their kids to own or play it. Parents should be well aware of the situation. From what I see, video games don't make kids more violent, its just entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I don't understand the meaning of this law, or why it is needed because video games don't appear to be the government's business. Are they going to cancel selling Harry Potter so kids don't jump of cliffs with brooms? I think that it is the parents responsibility to know what games their children are playing, and it is the buyer's decision if they want to buy a violent game, sports game, or an arcade game.

    Jay Shah
    6th Period

    ReplyDelete
  64. Neethu George
    3rd period

    I think this law is unnecessary. They are just video games and laws against them won't change the violence that's happening around us. Video games are for pleasure and entertainment. The parents should be aware of what the kids are playing. If they don't want them exposed to the violence then it's their choice if they should allow it to their kids or not.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Danielle Uy 5th PeriodNovember 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM

    This law is preposterous. Frankly, if a child's parent doesn't want their kids to view this explicit content, then don't buy it. This law won't do anything. Violence is everywhere, it's never going to stop, but it's up to the user to comprehend the simplicity of it's just a game.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Sean Kelly
    2nd Period

    I believe that people should not care about kids who play violent games. I mean if they are able to play it, it's because there parents allow them. This is why they have ratings for games so kids who are underage can't play them. But if parents by them games that clearly state that there is violence and language its their own fault. So its up to the parents of what their child plays, not the government.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Nick Brouwer (period 2)November 14, 2010 at 3:36 PM

    I have known about this bill for a couple of weeks now and never really payed attention to it. It is not like this bill will stop kids from obtaining violent games. I am sure that are parents who do not really care what their child does and would be fine with buying a video game that is inappropriate for them. And how is violence in video games different from violence in movies. Personally, I think that corrupts a child's mind even more. For example, after walking out of a theater once the movie I had gone to see was over, 127 Hours, I overheard a kid that probably did not even understand what was going, said he thought it was awesome when the main character had to cut off his own arm. That is horrible that a kid would think that. How is it that violent movies do not get this attention when R-rated movies make up a large percent of the movie industry. while M-rated games have consistently had the lowest sales all together than any other game rating does.

    ReplyDelete
  68. 5th period
    If they pass this law it will be pointless. Just today my brother who is 8 went to Gamestop with his mom and bought Call of Duty: Black Ops . My brother knows it is just a game and is not going to go around shooting people. If a kid this it is real they shouldn’t be playing the game. If they parents don’t want there kids playing these kinds of game they should buy them for them. The government doesn’t need to go and make a law for what parent should be doing already. Just because kid play violent game doesn’t mean they are going to become violent.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Andrew Aneke/3rd Period.November 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM

    I totally disagree with what some courts and states are trying to do. I play violent video games all of the time and I enjoy them. I play those games though and I don't going around trying to be a criminal or a violent individual. I love the games I play but I am still the same person when I finish playing the games. Another thing is that parents are talking about not wanting their kids to play violent games. If you don't want that to happen, simply don't give your kids money to buy that game. Also for those who don't know, a child under 18 can not go to a store and buy a mature game without an adult or a person over 18. So I am confused right now. And if an adult goes to a store with their child and is buying a game for them, simply look at the back and it will tell you the rating. It even gives you a description of what to expect in the game. So parents, if your child has a game that you don't want them to have, it is your fault with the exception of some other situations such as your child borrowing a game. Lastly, if this law is passed, you have pretty much violating a person's freedom of speech. If a person wants to have a violent game or a sexual tape, it is their right as long as they keep it to themselves and mind their business.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Melvin Valimattathil
    Period 6

    You should not even worry about this law. This is simple, if you think or know that your child will become violent after games like these do not buy them it. If the child becomes violent it is the parents fault for purchasing the game.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Troy Pete I
    4th period
    I agree with John Gann I mean on every game it has a rating sign at the bottom. E stands for every one can play. T is for teens you have to be at least 13. And M stands for mature where you have to be at least 17 to play. So if parents buy the game that is mature well that's them . But I know any place that sells games they make sure you have an adult to buy that game that is mature for and I know that some other games or a little not for kids that are young .

    ReplyDelete
  72. Raphael Laran
    5th Period

    Well video games like "Mortal Combat" are violent, making people who play them try to imitate. Because some kids are young, they don't really know what they're doing in violent video games except killing people. But in reality, they would try to do the same things in the game and they end up hurting someone. It makes sense that people would ban games like this, but it is kind of confusing to explain if they should really ban it.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Alright first to start things off I think it's messed up that they are creating laws for this I've been playing Mature games and I'm perfectly normal come on some people are messed up but that doesn't mean everyone is. Though I think kids under 10 shouldn't get them. I remember on Call of Duty: Black Ops a 7 year old was playing and it made me pretty ticked off that what is he doing here why is it that some small kid is playing. So I think we should ban kids under 10 so until they are to an extent able to play it.

    Hamza R. 5th period

    ReplyDelete
  74. Nina Tames
    Period 3

    I agree with most of the people above me. It's the parents decision if they let their kids play violent games. If this law is passed, most kids are just going to find another source of violence, that might be hands on, instead of some fake video game. So parents should be aware of this situation, and if they want their kids to not get hooked on violent games, then don't buy it for them.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Megan Scott
    3rd period
    Ugh...seriously? This entire article was frustrating to read. As an avid fan of videogames, I find this banning law totally unecessary.First off most minors aren't even allowed to buy way-violent videogames. So the big deal is...? You know not everyone in the world plays videogames just for the violence. And it is the pinacle of stupidity to say that violent videogames cause people to do bad stuff! It's up to the individual whether or not they want to steal a helicopter, then proceed to crash it into a building. And even though that sounds way cool, it's also way stupid so of course no one is going to be keen to try it just cause they did it in a videogame. And HELLO there is more violence in todays movies than in most videogames! Honestly they just feel like banning something. Why don't they just bubble wrap the entire world? Oh!wait, then those little popping noises the plastic makes could resemble gunfire.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Travis Crissman
    2nd period

    I believe that this law should be passed not only in California but in the whole world. People, especially children, are greatly influenced by everything they see and hear, and that is why we are all different. If something is not done about the access kids have to violent video games, I believe there will be a lot more crime and murder in the future. Kids will grow up thinking it is okay to kill. I agree with the comment near the end of the article about having a parent purchase these games if they want their child to have it. There should definitely be a limit on the access that kids have to violent games. With that being said, I think parents who allow their child to play these violent video games are not doing their job as a parent. Who really wants to kill an innocent Vulcan? Spock is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Kids must not be allowed to have games that tend create mental fear or obsession in any way. Parents ought to keep an eye on what kind of games their kids play. I think a law is necessary as the lack of rules and laws always causes more trouble so a law would eliminate the chances of problem being created. We all know it’s just a game, but if the kid is not mature enough to handle the material then he/she shouldn’t be dealing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  78. 2nd Period

    Like many others, it is just a game. There's nothing you can really do about it. Parents should be taking responsibility. They're the ones who had the guts to buy the game for their children. I'm pretty sure as long as a child doesn't look at the game as an "inspiration" or anything in that nature, it should be just fine. Because then again, violence can be occurring just about anywhere, right now, later or soon.

    ReplyDelete
  79. If parents are so concerned with violence in video games, they should take care of the problem themselves.I believe parents can just not buy the game for their children. Also, parents need to realize that you can't shield children from violence forever. With the news and school, children will get violence and innapropriate behavior from everywhere possible. Maybe parents need to teach their children how to handle violence in the world, instead of involving the government, when they have alot of more important things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Kenneth Pranoto 2 PeriodNovember 14, 2010 at 5:17 PM

    Kenneth Pranoto
    Period 2

    Why would the government want to banned rated R games. This article does not make sense. I agree with others if you do not want your children to play violent games, then just don’t give them any mature games. I personally think that there are more bad influences in people then in games. Also why would the government give us a freedom once in a while, and take care of the other policies they need to care about. These show that the government should take care of bigger problems, instead of stupid ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  81. Dane Gantt
    Period 2

    Well I personally play violent games, and I see no harm in letting it out in a game occasionally. I don't see any influence put on me by violent games, it's not like I run around attacking people. If parents think that violent games put a bad influence on their child then they should stop buying the games.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Samantha TWardowski
    3rd Period

    I personally do not believe there should be a law on video games. I believe it is too late to change this and make a law. I think that that this problem should be deat with parents and not the government. I am against the violent video games but people are able too control who plays the games without the government being involved. I think that making this law is going to end up being a mess if they follow through with it.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Logan Gloster
    Period 4

    As almost all adults do, the people in politics are overreacting to a small problem and not seeing what is truly wrong. It's not the video games themselves it's just how the kids interpret them. Although I admit that giving a 10 year old an M rated game is a bit extreme, kids just need to learn some common sense and distinguish the difference from virtual reality and reality. If kids can't distinguish that and think it's fine to go on a killing spree in real life then that's their parents' fault for not teaching them to behave the right way or even for allowing them to get their hands on guns in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Richard Kimbrell (6th)November 14, 2010 at 6:08 PM

    I agree with what a lot of you guys have had to say about this. Video games are video games and they aren't what cause violence. It is their surroundings. If a boy grows up in a gang filled area, they are likely to join a gang and become violent. Just because a game has somebody killing another person, doesn't make it the cause for a child to be violent. My 10 year old cousin plays games like that and he isn't a violent person. He's just like any other 10 year old. I agree that if parents don't want their kids playing it then they shouldn't let them buy it. It's pointless to make a law out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Jay Shah
    6th Period

    Well, I think I've posted multiple times, but since I don't see my comment up there, I will once again. If the government thinks that video games are making children more violent, then they will be shutting down a big industry. Violent games are one of the most popular forms of entertainment, and children love it. This doesn't necessarily mean that kids are going to be violent, just gives them a better chance. If some kids don't play the games they might get more violent. So like most of the people above me, I think buying these games is the parent's and buyer's choice.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Gabriel Flores
    6th period

    What most people dont understand is that a game is just a game. Yes there will be killing, violence, etc. in these games, but no one literaly gets hurt. Im pretty sure everyone would rather pretend to harm anything then actuly do it. If the government takes away the violent games then they are just going to get violence. There is absolutly no point in placing a law on this issue. The game developers know what they are doing when they put ratings on the case of a game, and if the parents dont like it then why buy it. Also I have read most of these articles and almost all of them involve the government complaining about pointless things such as this and are not focusing on the big picture. They need to stop messing around and do what a government is supposed to do like get us of this recession.

    ReplyDelete
  87. Amber Tunstall
    4th Period

    I think the court and the judges are over-exaggerating. It's kind of ironic that they are getting so worked up over the fact that video games have violence in them when they send off tons of people every day to die violent deaths in the war. Most minors can tell that video games are fake anyway. Most minors need to have their parents buy it for them because they don't have enough money, and when the parents see that a game is extremely violent or has sexual content, they won't buy it for them. Instead of wasting time and money on some law like that, courts and judges should be trying to solve murder or robbery cases, important things that can save lives and cause happiness and peace to citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Keelie Steinke
    Period 5
    Honestly, is there really a reason to put a law on this? If a child is playing a game full of violence, blood, and gore, well then so be it. Their parents are letting them have the game and supplying their want for more games by going out and buying them for them. If a parent thinks its okay that their kids are playing games like that, then it’s okay. And if another parent doesn’t want their kid playing it, well then they can stop them. It’s not necessary to put a law on this, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  89. Saimol Edaparampil
    3rd Period
    I don't agree with making it a law that parents have to buy it because it is very pointless. Because in most cases the parents are the one's buying whatever games that the kids want.Video games may be a factor that makes some kids violent but it is not like that in all cases. It is just based on what person is playing it. Like girls will most likely not turn violent playing video games because I'm sure that girls don't play games that are as violent as the games that guys play.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Violent games aren't as bad as people make them out to be. In this article, the writer makes it seem like one minute games will rot your brain and turn you into a criminal. Well, I always play games like that, and I have a hard time breaking the laws. My family is the same as me too, including cousins. In fact, I have a cousin who lives in Louisiana and is around the age of 6th grade. Well he plays Halo, Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2, and he probably got Call of Duty : Black Ops. For those who don't know, all of those are graphic gun games.

    Daniel Thai
    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  91. I have nothing against it but the justices are taking video game violence way out of hand. It's really too late to put a ban on violent games, they should have done something before these types of games became a huge thing. Kids these days will be or use their parents to get the games for them as birthday gifts. Video games are most young kid’s addiction they fall into the world of game play as a result of pleasure or a way to escape the real world. Other than that, violent games are usually seen as the normal in a games world. Taking those away would cause an outburst of many kids and teenagers across the nation. If they want to solve this problem, they need to create a game that's fun to play without violence but I doubt the game will be that popular or on demand.
    Steffie Philip
    Period-6th

    ReplyDelete
  92. Samantha Pecson
    6th Period

    I personally believe that they should not ban violent video games. Parents should be the people who decide whether or not if they want their child to be exposed to video games, not the government. Like Cortney Corley stated "Violence is everywhere in our world." If they banned violent video games they might as well ban the news because violence is on the news every day. And if the law did pass, I'm pretty sure kids would become more violent because video games for some people is an outlet to relieve stress.

    ReplyDelete
  93. Nick Grieger
    2nd Period

    I believe that this law that they are making has no point. No matter if they ban the violent video games or not, kids will still play them. Normally, the people that actually play the video games are younger kids rather than people over the age of 18. This law will make the video game industry drop a lot, because their target audience is kids under 18.

    ReplyDelete
  94. Rebecca Johnson, 5th PeriodNovember 14, 2010 at 8:00 PM

    If a person plays a violent game, does it really matter to anyone but themselves, I mean why does anyone need to worry about what other people do. If they want to play a game where they go around killing people, then let them, it’s their choice. Plus it’s just a game, it is meant purely for entertainment purposes only, it’s not something that is meant to be done in real life. If a law was passed against these violent games, it probably wouldn’t make a difference to anyone; people would still get a hold of any game they wanted. It would be merely pointless to pass it.

    ReplyDelete
  95. Tommy Settlemyre Period 3November 14, 2010 at 8:10 PM

    The government is not my parents. My parents are my parents! It is extremely obnoxious for the government to act like my parents and tell me what videogames I should and should not buy. This law does not restrict free speech; it restricts free enterprise! My money is mine! I get to decide how to spend it! If I choose to buy a violent videogame, I should be able to buy it, plain and simple. I might get in trouble with my parents, but that is none of the government’s business.

    ReplyDelete
  96. Courtnei Coleman Period 5November 14, 2010 at 8:18 PM

    Personally, I don't understand why video games that cannot be played by all people are even being sold! I think that passing a law like this is unnecessary though. I agree with the thought that, it can corrupt a child's mind but it is decided by the parents if their child can play these types of games. The parents or guardians are most likely the people buying these games for them, knowing what can happen. No one can stop everyone in the world from playing these types of games or letting this influence their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  97. Jay Shah
    6th Period
    This article was dumb because it isn't the government's job to monitor what games we play. I mean, sure the kids might get violent, but it is a way for many to get rid of their anger. If they took it out on the real world then things would get much worse than a virtual person who was tortured. Also if the parents allow their children to play these games, then they should not be making a whole big deal out of it. If you take away video games, I can assure you, most people are going to find a new way to be exposed to violence without meaning to. It is the way the world runs, and the government shouldn't be messing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Bailey Banks
    6th Period

    I don't think that these games should be banned, they probably don't even really influence the average teenager and if they did that should be on the parents. I'm certain that most kids don't use their own money to pay for these games it most likely come from somebody. Games are games,completely different from reality and even if we did ban these video games crime and violence would still be a frequent occuring in teens, its a part of our society.

    ReplyDelete
  99. Leslie Vazhappilly
    Period 4th
    First of all, let me start by saying that I am a gamer my self. I play video games for hours and hours, so this law of banning video games is totally ridiculous to me. I know games like Halo and Modern warfare is really violent by experience. But video games do have negative and positive affect to children. Like playing video game can be a stress reliever, after having a bad day, and can be really fun playing with friends. But it can also be bad because it can be a bad influence on kids. And if that’s is the reason, why does parent buy there kids video games, when they know it bad for them. For this reason, hardcore gamers get no games, which seems unfair to me.

    ReplyDelete
  100. Justin Johnson 6 periodNovember 14, 2010 at 8:58 PM

    Honestly, I don't think there should be a law to ban video games and the rate California's economic state is going, their going to need every single penny they can get from video games of all kinds. My mom banned me from playing video games that are not PG. I can barley watch PG-13 moives. Why? Because it goes against our family's laws and customs. In contrst, I know some friends who play all sorts of killing games. If that law was in play, what would happen to them? Would they be happy? I believe the law would be unfair to the economy if this legislation would to ever pass right now. I say wait until thing's get better then pass.
    -Justin Johnson
    6 period

    ReplyDelete
  101. Grace Bonojo
    4th period

    I honestly don't play video games so I really don't have a side to argue. However I've heard about the violence in video games and I think that they should put a banned on video games that portray any form of violence not because I'm scared that it will negatively affect the minds of my peers today but because it not a lesson that should be thought to kids my age. If a parent doesn't want their kid to play games like this they shouldn’t buy it for their kid. They should do something about it and set a boundary for their kids.
    That part about how they should get rid of rap music and other things next is crazy! Those things don't teach kids violence, it's the way they take in does things that cause them to be violent. If adults seriously think they'll be able to stop kids from doing something, they have something else coming their way.

    ReplyDelete
  102. Grace Bonojo
    4th period

    I honestly don't play video games so I really don't have a side to argue. However I've heard about the violence in video games and I think that they should put a banned on video games that portray any form of violence not because I'm scared that it will negatively affect the minds of my peers today but because it not a lesson that should be thought to kids my age. If a parent doesn't want their kid to play games like this they shouldn’t buy it for their kid. They should do something about it and set a boundary for their kids.
    That part about how they should get rid of rap music and other things next is crazy! Those things don't teach kids violence, it's the way they take in does things that cause them to be violent. If adults seriously think they'll be able to stop kids from doing something, they have something else coming their way.

    ReplyDelete
  103. I like that they have a law to not let kids use violent games. Violent games can affect little kids mind depending on the age. I personally think the older you get, the mature you get so they wouldn't really make them be violent. For the little kids, they would have an effect on them. I think also that parents should listen to the rating on games before buying them. Rating can tell how violent any games are.

    ReplyDelete