Monday, November 29, 2010

How Acne and Depression Feed Each Other

How Acne and Depression Feed Each Other
By Elizabeth Landau, CNN
November 29, 2010 11:13 a.m. EST


Kelly, 22, has suffered from depression since age 8. But it's only recently that she realized how much worse she feels when her acne flares up. During the two years in college when her depression waned, so did her skin problems.

"When I was free of the depression, I was feeling completely confident and able to make use of all of the opportunities, and much more able to present myself and meet people," said Kelly, who asked that her last name not be used. "And, of course, also with the acne clearing up, I didn't worry about people seeing me and judging me based on acne."

The connection between acne and depression has long been documented, especially in teens, but some attributed it to particular medications for acne such as isotretinoin (sold as Accutane, Clarus and others). But a recent study in the British Medical Journal found that the drug itself may not matter; according to Swedish researchers, acne itself raises the risk of depression and suicide attempt.

That may be because appearance is intimately linked with self-esteem, doctors say.

"Your skin is what you present to the world, and unfortunately we all aim for that airbrushed perfection that's on the covers of the magazines," said Dr. Diane Walder, clinical assistant professor of dermatology at the University of Miami.

Finding a caring dermatologist to guide you through acne is key to both getting clearer skin and feeling better about yourself, said Dr. Jessica Krant, a dermatologist based in New York. A proper treatment plan from a dermatologist can clear up a person's skin, which in turn may resolve depression symptoms, said Dr. Sherrif Ibrahim, chief medical editor of skinsight.com.

FACTS ABOUT ACNE

-Genetics and hormones are driving forces in acne

-Acne is caused by: Increased oil production, clogged pores, growth of bacteria in clogged pores and inflammation

-There's no proven link to junk food, milk, chocolate

-Just because you have acne doesn't mean you have a dirty face

-Treatment is highly individualized

- Options include: over-the-counter ointments and washes, topical treatments, antibiotics, isotretinoin-based medications, oral contraceptives, laser therapy and other cosmetic procedures

Learn more about acne from Skinsight In teenagers, self-esteem may take a particular dive with acne because others may be making fun of them, and their anxiety about others' perceptions of them can result in depression, said Bobbie McDonald, a psychologist in Costa Mesa, California. In fact, anything that makes teens stand out makes them see themselves in a negative light, she said.

Some of the low mood and anxiety symptoms may go away after high school graduation, she said.

"Even if the acne remains, we'll see a shift when they finish high school because whether they go to college or get a job, they start to redefine themselves in ways that boost their self-esteem," she said.

Depression may also worsen acne, because depressed people's motivation to take care of themselves and do their doctor's recommended skin routine is lower, Krant said. Stress in general can also exacerbate acne, but not cause it, Ibrahim said.

Any parent of an adolescent with acne should be on high alert, McDonald said. Start asking questions like, "How are you doing?" and, "What's going on with you and your friends?" to get your teen to open up about possible issues.

It's also important to point out the teens' positive qualities to them, McDonald said. Some teens need reinforcement about their appearance specifically, such as their eyes or hair. But their inner traits should also be emphasized.

"What makes them valuable and worthy as a person?" she said. "If they're a good listener to their friends, or a leader in different ways, or if they have some sort of talent."

For Kelly, the acne started at age 11 or 12. She didn't feel too upset about it at first, because several of her classmates had it much worse. But as the years went by, her peers' faces started clearing up, while hers remained the same.

This summer, after graduating from college and starting her first real job, she found herself back in the throes of depression -- and with it, the the daily skin breakouts returned.

Kelly has been working with a therapist and plans to see a psychiatrist about her depression. No face wash or other skin treatment she's tried seems to cure her acne, but she hasn't given up.

"I'm also hopeful that if the change in depression medication helps, that maybe I'll see a correlating change with reduced stress levels [that] maybe reduce acne as well."

98 comments:

  1. How do you feel about this? Does visible differences such as acne really play an important role in how you feel? Does it affect activities that you participate in? How do you treat people that have a lot of acne?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acne does not really affect me that much. As far as I know, it doesn't heavily affect those that I associate with. For me, it does not change how people react with me and how I would react with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily Panozzo
    4th Period

    I have numerous observations and connections with this article. From personal and social experience, I believe that yes, someone's mental process is affected by their physical appearance. It goes the same the other way around too. Someone's physical appearance is affected by one's mental process. I know that I always get breakouts after I'm stressed which does in turn make me a little more freaked out because then I have to deal with the break out along with other activities. They are hard to deal with and can really take a toll on confidence levels. I also believe that the acne medicine affects emotions. One of my friends had noticeable changes in her mood after she started taking a medication for her acne because it affected her hormones. Acne isn't easy to deal with personally and I think that knowing how hard it is to take care of allows one to be more sympathetic to those that have acne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mariah Cooper Period 3November 29, 2010 at 1:53 PM

    A lot of people go through what Kelly has gone through with acne. Acne is just one more thing to worry about in life. Nobody likes it, but it's just how your body is. I think acne does affect how people feel about themselves. It shouldn't affect what you do, though. Everybody has acne at least once in their life, whether it’s a lot or a little. I don’t think anybody should judge people about something as little as acne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca Johnson, 5th PeriodNovember 29, 2010 at 2:20 PM

    I believe that stress, and depression have a lot to do with the amount of acne you have, but that is only to an extent. Every ones skin is different, whether it is oily, dry, clear, or not it's just the way your skin is. There is not much that you can do to change your skin, but there are some things. I really don't see the point in this though, well yeah it's nice having clear skin, but acne or no acne it's who you are. If there weren't magazines with these people on them that have perfect skin maybe not everyone would want to have that perfect look. It just all has to do with how the media makes a teenager look, because then all the teenagers want to look like this. Looking like how the media shows a teenager may boost some peoples confidence, making there acne go away. It just all has to do with every individuals acne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alvin Mei
    2nd Period

    Teenagers should not be worrying about their skin appearance to others. Teenagers should be confident to be who they are, but still, acne does get to the best of teenagers. In fact, acne does effect my life because all of my classmates (as I can see) have clear faces, and having pimples all over my face tells people that I'm am dirty, so I think this is why teenagers are having trouble with acne. Having acne doesn't really affect anyone's lifestyle, but just a little touch can irritate the pimple. To me, I treat people with acne the same, because we are all people, and if their nice, cool, and chill, then of course it nice to hang around with people like that. Anyways, acne occurs to everybody, and nobody should be complaining that they have it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not going to make a weird drama or anything, but I do suffer from depression, and after researching the different ways of getting it, this story does not surprise me. One of the leading causes of depression is low self esteem, and stuff that is as visible as acne certainly affects a person. I respect her and feel bad that she feels insecure about her whole self now just because of something she can't necessarily control. I know it sounds weird, but even with males (though it's not as prevalent as females), the physical aspect of things is extremely pressured and causes people to be someone entirely different. Though I don't have those issues, I can think of any people who think badly about themselves for visible differences. If I see people with acne (or any "disorder" of any kind), I see them as a human being. I am not better than them, so why should I talk like I'm high and mighty? Plus, I know that insecurities are made worse by talking about them, and because I am to please others, I don't talk about stuff that that person might consider uncomfortable. I think this is a great insight into a large cause of depression (not necessarily acne, but physical aspects), and people should open their eyes to the insecurities people everywhere everyday face.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah Raines
    Period 4
    I think acne dose play a big role in the way people feel about themselves. Appearance plays a big part in your self esteem and if your self esteem is low then so will your confidence. If things become bad then it could eventually lead into a depression if you started finding other things wrong with you. It does not really affect activities you participate in. There is not really anything that acne could physically keep you from doing. I treat people with acne just the same as anybody else. I personally have acne and know how it feels. It is very inconsiderate and rude to treat someone different because of something they most likely cannot control. And there is plenty wrong with everybody. These things may not be visible but everyone has flaws and nobody has a right to pick at someone else’s.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Courtnei Coleman Period 5November 29, 2010 at 5:04 PM

    This article is also an interesting one! To me it seems that most people with acne are depressed and most people who are depressed have acne. I personally don't suffer with acne but I do have another skin condition, that comes and goes, called liver splash. My skin becomes white, dry, and peels. So I know what it feels like to suffer with a skin condition. Acne does not play a role in my life but it does in the lives of my friends. An adult once told a friend of mines, "I can play connect the dots with your acne" so I know how she felt when it was said to her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ajeet Baath
    6th Pd.
    I believe there is a direct link between acne and depression. Many people take their clear skin for granted, because many people struggle piles of acne medications and are constantly subconscious about the way the look. When a person looks in the mirror, they can either like what they see or not. This all depends on how much self-esteem the person has. If they are mature enough to understand that acne is just a natural phase in their life, they will not have a problem with depression. But with most people, that is not the case. The best way to treat someone with acne is with mental and physical medication. Various ointments and creams can help with the acne, and positive attitude can do away with the depression.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nick Brouwer Period 2November 29, 2010 at 5:55 PM

    There is most definitely a link between acne and depression. If I have a pimple on my face, I often will think about it and how other people see it. And if I think it is really noticeable, I usually try and just not get attention. It can just puts you in a negative mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cortney Corley
    Period 4
    I find this article very interesting. I know that most people at one point or another get acne. People should try their best to care for it. I know from personal experiences and things I see that people now are harsh and notice these things. After reading the article, I see that depression and acne can feed off of each other. Its not something you can control and one can get easily frustrated. Honestly, I believe that how you look does affect how you feel. Like if you feel attractive and confident, it shows. It is also obvious if your not comfortable in the skin you're in. Dermatologists do help, but you have to constantly keep up with the routine they give you. People should seek professional help if they feel it is best and if they think that their issue has gotten out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neethu George
    3rd period

    I think that acne does affect how people feel about themselves. They lose their hope and confidence because they're not pretty enough. I don't think acne affects the activities you participate in. I would treat a person with a lot of acne like I would with any other person. I think everyone should be treated fairly no matter how they look like.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Period 6
    I myself personally care about my acne. Nobody wants to be rejected or teased because of something they try their best to get rid off. It makes sense to me that depression can be caused of acne. We all see our own selves in a mirror of flaws wishing we could be like someone else. Even if you say that you could care less about your appearance because there was, is, or about to be a time you did/do care about it. People just need to realize no matter what they are made differently on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ann Lobo from 5th periodNovember 29, 2010 at 7:11 PM

    Acne can only affect the people who DO care about their looks. Acne can be a cause of depression. I know I would be depressed if my skin broke out with acne, I don't have any. Teens who DO have acne become more depressed about their looks because they might think other kids are gonna make fun of their skin, or they might think that they won't be able to attract the opposite sex in any way because their skin is all pimply.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Abby Christopher 5th prd.November 29, 2010 at 7:19 PM

    I have observed that people judge others by appearances, so that is probably why people care so much about how they look. I think it is really sad to see people that are socially unaccepted because of the way they look. People really care too much about how they look and sometimes it’s better to just not worry about what people think. Things like acne really don’t affect me that much, but I do try to avoid it. If some acne does start breaking out I don’t obsess over it, but I just find comfort in the fact that it goes away. I also have friends that don’t really look at my appearance as much as they do my personality so it doesn’t really affect anything I do. I try my best to treat everyone the same and that does not exclude people with a lot of acne. They are humans as well, and last time I checked every human being has feelings no matter how deep those feelings are hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merin Mathew period 6November 29, 2010 at 7:20 PM

    Merin Mathew
    p.6


    It does make sense that acne can increase depression to teens because they can get teased and have low self-esteem. I personally never worry about acne because my acne never gotten out of control. The article says that it can be genetic so I'm kind of afraid of getting acne all of the sudden from my mom's genes .It can affect in what activities you go for because if their is same people who make fun of you that are in the activity, then you wouldn’t go for it. I have friends who complain about their face and make a big deal about it. I tell them that there is always someone else that has worse. Like the article says "But their inner traits should also be emphasized."

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that how a person looks is so important in boosting a person's self esteem and if people are concerned with their acne, they would feel bad. I've never really been bothered by pimples because to me they are just normal things, but this maybe because I barely get pimples. I also feel like people shouldn't be teased for their acne because everyone gets it at sometime in their life and its a part of growing up. However, I didn't know that it would be linked to depression and that shows how seriously people care about their appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fifth Period
    Sometimes life is just strange this way. it should balance out so that the people who are depressed don't have acne to worry about while the people who are normal have acne. However, this is just the opposite and the depressed person gets the worst and the normal person gets the best. I think that it is reasonable for acne to be related to depression because skin IS what is looked at first. From far away you can't really see someone's face except their skin. However, I don't stress this a lot because one is eternally beautiful in the inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Prerna Kamnani
    4th Period

    As a teenager, I have numerous connections to this article. I would know how acne affects a teenager because I am a teenager, and I suffer from acne periodically. I think that it really does affect self esteem because as teenagers we are very self conscious of our face. I feel like our break outs are caused by daily stress. After getting break outs, I am just more stressed because I have to deal with school stress and a zit on my face. There are varying factors relating to acne. It depends on skin type, and how you are taking care of your skin. Everyone should follow the routine that their dermatologist gives them. This article is very true because I do think depression and acne are related. Depression and acne both lead to low self esteem. Low self esteem gives people stress which then causes acne. Acne could lead to depression because acne gives people low self esteem. Low self esteem then leads to depression. Everyone deals with acne at least once I their life time. We tend to stress and care about acne so much because it blemishes our face. As teenagers, acne decreases our self confidence because we do care about our looks. We should not let acne be something that deeply affects us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. From personal experience, I know that acne can affect you mentally, and physically. It can effect your self esteem in big ways. It can make you feel bad about yourself, and give you littler self confidence. It affects you physically, obvious, with break outs. They're also sort of linked, when your having mental problems (depression, anxiety, etc..) you tend to be more prone to acne. And on the other hand, if your having skin problems, it's going to effect you mentally. Say you have pretty bad acne, it's gonna effect your self confidence, and the way you feel about yourself. Teenagers are so focused on appearance, that something as simple as acne can affect people in big ways. Personally, as a whole, teenagers are shallow people, who need to look behind the acne, and see who that person really is.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know for myself that I began acne at an early age, 5th grade. This didn’t affect my relationship with others as much but as I got older I began to see a particular group of kids being picked on about it. I thank myself for starting to have acne so early because I don't have it presently in high school as much. It occasionally comes back when I run track but that's just because of my sweating. Some acne as said isn't because your skin is dirty but because of other things.
    Kiah R.
    3period

    ReplyDelete
  23. 3rd period

    I have often noticed that the worse people's acne gets the more depressed they are but it just seems like one of those natural things that happens. Teens are always going to have acne unless they find a sure fire way to prevent it from happening. I believe that if we didn't live in a society based on looks none of this would even matter.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Charlene Sigua
    Period 4

    Acne doesn't effect the way I look at people. The way people are judging a person now a days is more on how they look, not personality. This is kind of like looking at someone who has glasses like, like myself, and they're automatically someone who's smart. I've been judged before as well based on my looks, and I can honestly say it's not a good place to be standing in. As the old saying goes: "Don't judge a book by its cover".

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jeffrey Reid Period 5November 30, 2010 at 3:04 PM

    I HATE Acne. When I'm talking to people, I hope with all thats inside me that they don't comment on my face. It doesn't really affect me as much as it affects other people because I'm used to it and people don't mention the acne. When I'm speaking to other people who have acne, I don't comment on their acne because I know how it feels.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chaz Talab 3rd PeriodNovember 30, 2010 at 3:13 PM

    I find this article to be kind of ridicules. I understand everything that the article is saying, but they are saying that acne decreases your self esteem. I don't find this true. I know plenty of kids with a face full of acne, and they are the funniest, most outgoing people I have ever met; and I can guarantee they are not depressed. Also so what about what other people think about you. If those people don't take you for the way you are, then you shouldn't hang out with them. There is always someone for someone. I personally get acne ever so often, but I don't let it stop me from doing my everyday things. I still do my homework, hang out with friends, and play sports. If I knew a person who was having a hard time with acne, I would just tell them to not worry about it. Do what you can to get rid of it, but I'm sure that the people you hang out with, don’t care.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Esteban Palacios
    6th period

    Acne is a problem and it may indeed have something to do with depression. I don't really see why people tease others because this could happen to anyone, if not everyone. If acne was really a problem as they make it seem then people would be commiting suicide or thinking about it. But from what I know and from personal experience people make small things really big.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tyler Morris
    4th period
    I find it scientifically interesting that appearance can be an indirect cause or effect of depression. I wonder if people are really that worried about their outward appearance so that they are depressed. What if medication could cause all of us suicidal feelings? Why are these medications even on the market?

    ReplyDelete
  29. NINA TAMES.
    3RD PERIOD
    Many people have gone through what Kelly has. Actually, everyone has problems with pimples in their life. Acne can be caused by many things, stress, skin type, and the way you take care of your skin. I think that if you do have acne, you don't feel comfortable in your skin or you're embarrassed about it. Honestly, I've never had a serious break out, so I wouldn't know. But I do know what it's like to get a 'problem pimple.' Personally, when I get a pimple, like every other teenager in the world, I don't want anyone looking at me face to face. It makes me feel unattractive and insecure, I guess. But I don't think people should judge or make fun of anyone about having acne, because anyone can get it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. NINA TAMES
    3
    Oh and I also agree with Becca's comment. If all the magazines, and commercials didn't have people with PERFECT clear skin, I don't think most kids would stress about it. Sure it's great to have a roll model, and to want to look and be like them, but they have their makeup professionally done for them, To make them look PERFECT. When it comes to the real world, they suffer from acne like anyone else. Same with pictures and what you see on T.V., all that's edited. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  31. 5th period
    I believe acne does link to depression. I have seen it at school people are down on themselves because of their acne, and they get made fun of. I also see how people try to look like picture perfect.If they dont they freak out and start talking about how ugly they are. I myself do try to keep my face acne free because I do worry about my appearence. If I do get acne like every once in a while I dont let it bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Joseph Asthappan
    Period 2
    I understand that most people with acne feel that they are ugly towards their friends and strangers. But there are lotions that help resist acne, and pills that change moods so they stop the spread of acne. Most of my friends have acne but they feel the same around everyone else without it, and I treat them the same way. If I had acne I would just ignore the problem and continue my life ignoring it while it goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Riquerra Broadnax (Period 2)
    I feel it coul make some teens depressed.Well it does play a role in how you feel. If you see a blemish the first thing that goes through your mind is how to get rid of it and that’s because it makes you feel ugly. It does affect the activities that you participate in such as plays, cheerleading and other activities that are involving everyone seeing your nasty blemishes can affect what you do. You treat them the same way you would treat anyone else. I mean I know sometimes I have blemishes and I wouldn’t want my friends to not hang out with me or talk about me because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bailey Banks
    6th period

    Acne is one of the most common hated characteristics in teens, whether it just appears over night or even if it seems like a permanent thing. Acne can definitely be resulted from stress and depression, it is only natural, and it makes perfect sense. I don't believe that food is one of the main issues, but then again greasy, fatty foods aren't good for anywhere on the body. This is a new thought for me, I would have never thought of how depression can result in acne. Despite all of this, I have began to notice that the more you get to know a person you start to look past their flaws, you won't even notice them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Responding to Ms. Scales’s question, I do think acne affect depression. Just like Kelly acne is one of the reason one gets depress, because it shows your pimpled face to others. In This statement depression can do a lot of things to make one go suicidal, so I agree with this passage that acne can worsen your depression.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Amber Tunstall
    4th period

    I think acne is a big factor contributing towards depression. Most people judge by appearances, and that's not always a good thing. I myself am very self conscious about my skin and it effects me greatly. When I see myself in the mirror, I automatically get depressed. I've learned that the best picker-uppers are your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anastasia Konik period 5thDecember 1, 2010 at 5:21 PM

    Many people suffer with depression, and many people suffer with acne and though it may increase the level of irritability or how frustrated you are it is not the number 1 cause. Of course acne will effect a person on how confident they are with their appearance, but looks aren't everything it seems as if people are forgetting that it's more important on who we are on the inside and how are personalities interact with each other. If you have friends, they will like you for you not if you have acne or not...or obviously their not real friends.

    ReplyDelete
  38. 4th period
    Acne doesn't make me depressed because I have bigger issues to worry about in life. I don't have time to focus on the little things, like acne, and I don't want to focus on the negative either. I don't treat people with acne any different from people without acne.

    ReplyDelete
  39. 3rd period

    Honestly I think acne is a pain in the booty but I don’t get depressed over it. Sure I can see why people may get depressed over it because they want someone to like them or they hate the way they look. Sure acne can look kind of gross on your girlfriend or somebody you know but that person is still the same person and still has the same personality. People don’t get depressed please. The way you act will determine the way people will treat you.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Amita Batra
    3rd Period

    Though many people say that it's what matters on the inside, not the outside, the world doesn't always work that way. Whether or not they want to, people automatically judge people by their looks in their mind. Acne is one of the problems I deal with and wish I didn't have to deal with on a daily basis. Everyone hates it. I look in the mirror and the deeper I look, the worse I feel about myself, but I never let myself get depressed about it. Life goes on and we can't get hung up on one thing because there are many other things to worry about in life. Acne doesn't really affect how people treat you or how you treat people. Truly, people only treat themselves badly, if anything.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Nick Mathai
    6th period

    I have seen people with acne who are embarrassed to talk to people because of their breakout and people make fun of them cause off that. I think this is one of the main reasons people get depressed because they have acne. Even one person alone can make them feel depressed for a while. So I think that if people stop bullying and making fun of people with acne they may not feel so depressed any more.

    ReplyDelete
  42. 2nd Period

    I agree that acne unfortunately is another big thing to deal with. Even though people say that it's the inside that counts, it's not enough for someone to be persuaded that looks don't matter. I too myself, hate to deal with acne. But people shouldn't take it as if it's a life or death situation. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating. But some should rethink the whole thing, about have acne. Everybody, at least once in their lifetime have had to deal with it too. It's a natural thing whether we like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Jerry George
    3rd Period

    Personally, acne could go either way in regards to how depression can affect it. There is more to solving acne breakouts than just having a more positive attitude as I see acne being dependent on diet too. I usually have a decent amount of acne, but I tend to have more breakouts on my face and near my scalp if I do not eat properly. I do see how a mental attitude can affect acne since many bodily issues result from depression, but more factors can be seen on people like me. Going back to the general question, I do feel self-conscious of my acne and I do want to take of a problem seen on my skin. Maybe I am a bit insecure, but I take note on how many diseases and issues can be discovered through skin reactions to such things. And I would understand people going through such circumstances too as they would rather not have acne to deal with either. Technically, acne does not affect any of my activities, but I see it as an eyesore that must be removed somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Danielle Sherman
    4th Period

    I think the media contributes to the feeling that we, teens, need to have perfect skin. When we see people we look up to in these commercials with"perfect" lives, we have to remember that they have their problems too. Everybody goes through acne, some not as much. I, from personal experience, don't experience severe acne, but I know that stress and depression contribute to acne.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Mishi Jain
    Period 2
    The thing that kids these days go through with acne is truly hard. Media and all the people around us have made it seem like that you have to have perfect, clear skin in order to be beautiful and that everything is based on what your physical appearance is. I partially (like 1/4) agree to this but the main thing that I completely believe is in inner beauty. But media and so many other people pressure young teens these days that you have to have perfect skin! I understand what Kelly and many other people go through but I feel that teens should be more confident and have a higher self-esteem and believe in themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Francescha Rundle
    Period 5

    Personally, I only get a couple of pimples, but I always judge myself. There are more things than acne that is a person's physical appearence that might cause self-esteem issues or depression. Having acne might lower someone's confidence and with that, they might just stop doing what they like to do because of it. It doesn't matter if another person has acne though. That is the normal way of life and they can't stop that. I think it is wrong to judge someone by just the way they look. (I mean, I have a crush on someone with a few pimples...)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Carolyne Lu
    Period 3

    I never really thought about how depression could cause acne but the other way around is reasonable because the medication you might be taking could affect your hormone levels, which is partially what helps your acne. I agree with the fact that we teenagers feel a lot of pressure when we get the occasional pimple or breakout because of the media. Everyone sees their role models as people with flawless skin when in reality that is most likely not the case. They're famous, they have to keep their image up. We, however, cannot compare ourselves to them because we are not them. There is no reason for a person to feel bad if they have acne, it's natural. As for stress and depression causing acne, those two factors are definitely possible causes of skin problems but genetics is also a huge factor and it's something you can't change, so we've just got to embrace these so called "flaws" because they are who make us unique from others.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Jay Shah
    6th Period
    I agree with this article partly because I do think there is a link between acne and depression. But it's your choice to believe who you are. I know this is extremely hard as a teenager, but she is out of college. She has a real job, I mean get over it! Everyone has a flaw in them, and it could be worse. I see people that are in wheelchairs, people who are albino, people who have been through much worse than a acne breakthrough. But it does cause depression which is one of the reasons it should be taken seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Andremarie Jean 4th PeriodDecember 2, 2010 at 7:38 PM

    Andremarie Jean
    4th Period

    This makes me think really about how acne has an effect on my life. I look back when I used to have acne and really wanting to wear make up to cover it. Acne and other physical appearances did have an effect on me and closely brought me to a place of depression. Not anymore but some activites that
    I take place in does have an effect on your appearances. I like to model so what you look like is everything so that does play a part on how far I get with that. People who have a lot of acne are normal people to me. I may stare a little but still I give them the same respect and I be who I am around them.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Jenny Chang
    Period 5

    Physical appearence affects our feelings because we care about how others think of us. We become constantly anxious and less confident when people are judging us. This prevents us from doing daily activities with best effort. The best way to treat people with acne is to complement on their true talents and focuse on their personalities instead of judging their outer appearence. This would cheer them up and help them to build higher self-esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Mayur Patel
    Period 4

    I know how it feels if you have acne because I have acne and it is not the best thing to have. I think the main cause of acne is how stressed you are. We don't want acne because we want others to judge us by our appearance, but the way we are supposed to be judged, is by our personality. You should always have a positive mindset and stop worrying about your acne. And make sure that you are never stressed out. I treat people with acne the way I get treated, which is fairly, and that is how everyone should be treated. It doesn't matter what your physical appearance is. There is no point for being depressed. Acne is a natural thing.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Jaison Mathew
    4th Period

    I never thought acne could lead to depression. I do have acne, but I don't really think about it. Every other day or so, I get a new pimple and I just wash my face with face wash and try not to touch it. Usually its almost gone the next day. When I first started getting it, I always felt like everone was staring straight at it. I figure that's how most people felt too. You just have to make sure it doesn't get to your head and not to make it a big deal in your life. Acne is probably one of the top things that teens worry about today.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Jade Martin
    Period 4
    People with acne feel as if they aren't as pretty as everyone else. When people get close to them they feel as if they are only staring at their acne. So all of this will eventually bring your self esteem down which in some people it leads to depression. Once your acne gets better your self esteem rises.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Saimol Edaparampil
    3rd Period
    This article does really tell me more about how people can get acne. I know now that it's not just about clogged up pores, it can be caused by depression. Acne does play an important part in people's self-esteem because everyone does want a air brushed look. They don't want to have pimples and blackheads all over their face. They want to look pretty with a clear face.It may affect some people in their activities like crazy but it doesn't affect me a whole lot because I know everyone has had acne before even if it was a small breakout or a big one. And if someone chooses to make fun of someone and they've had it before then they are being a hypocrite. But in my opinion, NO ONE should be made fun of for something like acne. It's just not right.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Sean Nelson
    3rd Period

    Acne is just one of those things in life that everybody hates and has to go through. We as teens have probably all gone through a bad phase with it, and we all know that it's not fun. The best thing to do in this is to not judge people by their appearance, because you wouldn't want them to do that to you. Just keep trying with cures and eventually you might come through with your acne problems.

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is a very informational blog. Me personally I don't like acne on my face . It really does help people feel better to know that they don't have a dirty face or anything so I like this blog .
    Troy Pete
    4th period

    ReplyDelete
  57. Nick Grieger
    Period 2

    I believe that acne causes people many problems. First, they stress over what people think of them and sometimes they get depressed. Second, other people judge the person with acne and it just makes it worse for the same person. Acne should not play a role in how people act toward each other, but people continue to do this making some people to go into depression.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Tommy Settlemyre Period 3December 4, 2010 at 5:20 PM

    Thankfully, I do not have really bad acne. I am generally in a good mood, so the article does not surprise me. What I find interesting is that there is no proven link between acne and chocolate. The other day, my dad would not let me eat any chocolate because he thinks it causes acne to flare up. Now that I know it does not, I can eat chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Joseph Anderson the MightyDecember 4, 2010 at 6:41 PM

    I used to have REALLY bad acne in 8th grade, and it didn't depress me. Then again, I don't really care what I look like or what others think of me. But wait! I still have acne! According to this, my acne never should have been bad! I think this is article unusual and misleading. Just because you have acne doesn't mean you are depressed, or vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Eby Lukose 3rd periodDecember 4, 2010 at 7:13 PM

    Honestly, I dislike acne. I religiously wash my face with several face washes to try to prevent it. Luckily, the face washes work for me. When I do get pimples, I get frustrated. I tend to take drastic measures to get rid of them. Last year, I tried to chemically burn off a particularly bad pimple. I realize now that this was really stupid of me. All I did was make it more noticeable! So I can understand why teens would be depressed because of pimples, they're not exactly attractive. But we, including myself, need to realize that acne is a part of being a teenager and that almost everybody gets pimples sometime. Although I hate pimples on myself, I do not treat other people differently because of them. Everybody gets pimples, though some may have worse cases than others, there's no need to make them feel bad about themselves because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Leah Ware 2nd periodDecember 4, 2010 at 10:16 PM

    If someone suffers from depression, having acne can only make it worse. I don't have acne everywhere like some people, but when I do get a pimple or two I sometimes freak out about it. They make me feel really self-conscious Nobody, including me, likes getting zits. Your appearance really is a big part of your self esteem, and having acne just lowers it. Just because you have acne doesn't make you depressed, but if you already depressed acne makes it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Edward Richard
    4th period

    This explains so much, now that I think of it almost everybody I know that has a lot of Acne on their faces, always appear to be stressed. I actually want to go online and look up more information on the subject. There are others that might be going through this same thing. There is so much pressure on looks. I think we should concentrate on whats inside not out.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Chris Bready
    6th period

    Don't judge people based on what they look like. How much acne they have doesn't matter. Their inner feelings are what matters. If you did this then you would probably get more friends, and you would also help them by getting a little more confident.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Kaitlyn Trei
    Period 6

    In my opinion I don't think that acne can cause depression. I mean sure some people might have low self esteem about how they look but thats not really because they have acne. If a teenager has acne I don't think that parents should question their child. It doesn't mean the teenager is depressed it just could possibly mean that they don't take care of their skin as well as they should.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Samantha Martin
    4th period

    Though acne does not affect me much in my life, I do feel for people that are self-conscious about their outer appearance when dealing with acne. I think a lot of the stress that happens in a teens life is caused by being paranoid about what others think about them. People in society have become so obsessed with physical appearance that we start to ignore what makes a person the way they are on the inside and end up judging them based on their physical appearance.If someone who had an acne problem wanted to talk to me in the hallway I would treat them the same as anyone else. Nobody deserves to be treated differently no matter how they look like on the outside. It truly is the inside that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  66. I like many teenagers have acne every once in a while, but unlike some I could care less of what people say about my acne. For it is what you do in your life that makes your inner beauty that makes you shine. These days the media is what puts kids down so many times by making celebrities where make up to get others to buy their products and to make their beauty try and show on the outside. for me though I could care less of what people look like and care of what they do in for and in the community.

    Alexis landoski
    2nd period

    ReplyDelete
  67. Aman Gupte
    Period 6

    I agree with all those people who think that there is a link between acne and depression. I believe that there are so many people out there that care so much about their looks that things so small like acne can bring them down and lower their self esteem. When I get acne, I really don’t care because it happens to everybody at one point or another, and it goes away in a short while. I wouldn’t treat people differently just because they have acne or not.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Logan Gloster
    Period 4

    I think that this is one of the factors that leads to many things. I you think about it, if everyone was nice and not so corrupt by judging others so critically, then there wouldn't be much depression from acne. Without the depression then there would be no need for a therapist or buying skin products. People insult others to feel more powerful themselves or to just degrade others because they have nothing better to do. People with acne should get help to clear it up, but not worry about it too much unless they are severely picked on. Some must have to much anxiety about what is not said about them, but thought. Our social society is a complex one and one must be careful when dealing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Dylan Allotta
    5th

    I never would of thought that people would be stressed out by the way they look, but even further depressed about it. You are who you are. I know there are people that do not like certain physical aspects of me but I would never change them. Regardless, what you look like is worthless. What you have on the inside is what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Tyler Powers 5th period
    Honestly for me I have acne and I really don't notice a difference on how people treat me. It should not play any role in how people treat you because if people do they are just not good people. It also should not affect any activity a person is in because for instance you can be a very good athlete but you have acne you should not quit, you should continue playing. Lastly, for me it does not make me fell bad, I just continue leaving a normal life.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Abin Joes
    Period 2
    I think that how a person looks is so important in boosting a person's self esteem;if people are concerned with their acne, they feel bad. I've never really been bothered by acne because to me they are just a thing of life, and most of the human race has to go through with it one in their lives. I also feel like people shouldn't be teased for their acne because, in the words of Miley Cyrus/ Hannah Monatanna "Nobody's perfect". And people who care THAT much on their apperence will probably fall deep into depression.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Dane Gantt
    Period 2

    Acne: We all experience it, but we shouldn't make a big deal about it. We shouldn't change how we live our lives, just because of a few red dots.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Stress is something that is linked to depression. And for some people acne can be caused by stress. Acne can also lower a persons self-esteem. They may think other people will make fun of them for the appearance and that can lead to low self-esteem and/or depression. To have this problem solved someone could compliment them and they wouldn't have those thoughts.

    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  74. Aileen Nguyen
    Period 3

    The link with acne to depression is reasonable, yet at the same time a bit off(in my opinion). There are many people with acne that are not depressed, and there are depressed people who don't have acne, so there are cases where the link does not play a role in people's lives. Of course, visible appearances affect some people, especially teens since their self-consiousness sometimes affects their behavior, but not everyone judges you based on how you look. I agree with Mishi and her statement about the media. You always see these people who are portrayed as "perfect", and some people feel as if they have to amount to those "perfect" people just to feel good about themselves, so they get depressed. I myself do not treat people with acne differently. Nobody is going to be perfect and we all have to accept that.

    ReplyDelete
  75. I do think that physical appearances affect your mood and confidence. Though acne is something virtually everyone goes through, it does affect some people in a negative way, especially if you get made fun of. Nobody wants to have acne, but it's puberty and there are certain things you have to do to decrease it. Acne doesn't contradict my confidence, but I do understand why people may become depressed about it. I have friends with acne and friends that have become different since they started to get acne. But I couldn't imagine them thinking about suicide because of it. That is why I was a bit shocked to hear that acne can drive some kids to commiting suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Victoria Hackney
    2nd Period
    I can see how someone with a lot of acne could be feeling a lot more self-conscious about themselves but they need to realize that it is okay. Yes, no one likes to deal with acne or even just a ‘problem pimple’ but the people that truly matter are not going to be judging you based on how you look. There are people out there who will judge sadly, but if they are going to judge you because of something you have no control over, are they really the friends or people in your life you want?

    ReplyDelete
  77. Samantha Twardowski
    3rd Period

    I believe that this article is so helpful because I know that when I get stressed or anything I will get a little bit of acne. I also think that people shouldn't care what people think of them. You are yourself and you just have to accept that and I think people have a hard time doing that. But I think people that are reading this are gettin ga feel for what can help them and it is very appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Matthew Louis
    6th

    For me acne is not a huge problem. My friends and family don't have acne to bad so its not a big deal. But when I see someone with acne I don't laugh in there face and discriminate against them. Its simply something teens and adults get, giving them the appearance of bumps on their face. So people with acne don't let it bring your self-esteem down.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Travis Crissman
    2nd period

    I think there is a definite connection between depression and acne. As it said in the article, acne is caused by hormones. Depression can definitely trigger hormones and cause your mental state to be completely different. I feel sorry for the people who have severe acne because they may feel embarrassed or have someone make fun of them. The people who have acne should look inside themselves and persevere. I think that it is what a person is like on the inside that really matters--not just a zit on your face. Most importantly, don’t let someone's bias opinion change who you are or what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Nico Alba
    Period 2
    Acne doesn't effect the way I look at people. The way people are judging a person now a days is more on how they look, not personality. This is kind of like looking at someone who has glasses like, like myself, and they're automatically someone who's smart. I've been judged before as well based on my looks, and I can honestly say it's not a good place to be standing in. As the old saying goes: "Don't judge a book by its cover".

    ReplyDelete
  81. 5th Period

    This is an interesting article. I feel it most interesting that there is a connection between acne and depression. What I find most interesting is that appearance and depression are somehow linked through an acne breakout. I don't have acne and have never experienced it. My brother had acne, but I never noticed a mood change or depression when he had it. He did become very proactive and began some serious skin care, and it cleared up. He really had to do this because one time he got a skin infection called MRSA that was so bad he had to be on antibiotics for three months. He was never depressed during this time, at least I couldn't tell. Is there a connection between the two? Perhaps there is but I haven't seen any evidence of it personally. I think scientific community needs to research this more to be of real benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Betty Ponce
    3rd period

    I agree with this article because although I'm not sure depression is a cause of acne, I believe acne could be one of the many different causes for depression. I like Jenny's idea about looking at people's talents and enphasizing that to the person. Now a days teenagers are constantly having to struggle with the problem of being judged by others all the time, based on how they look instead of who they really are. This impacts their lives because it affects what they do and how they do things everyday. If other people would focus more on the inside instead of the outside and compliment that more than more people would be able to gain more confidence whether or not they have acne.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Grace Bonojo
    4th period

    Acne is a very important aspect in the life of a teenager because we as teenagers base our self image on the way everyone else sees us. In order to get the desired self image we hide behind our wardrobe, and haircuts, make-up, etc.
    As a teenager I care a lot about how I look so when I breakout I have to hide it, behind make-up and anything else. I just don't want to be judged for the way I look. I think teenage girls are so much harder on themselves about the way they look because as a teenage girl everyone's looking and judging your every move and word. As a teenage girl I walk and talk properly making sure no one has a reason to see any flaws in my looks.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Jeffrey Jhingree
    4th period

    I occasionally get bad acne but I do not get depressed over it. Someone shouldn't care about what their friends think about them if they have acne. If they are truly your friend, they wouldn't judge you on what you look like. Acne could play a role in what activities you participate in. For instance if you play sports, the sun can cause some people's acne to flare up. To help people with bad acne problems, you could complement them on something that they did or how they look. That could really boost someone's self- esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Mayur Patel
    Period 4

    I know how acne feels like and it is not the best thing in the world but we shouldn't get depressed over it. Acne, from my opinion, is caused by how stressed you are. Doing too much work at the same time also causes stress to occur. I don't like acne so I know how it feels to be in her spot. I hope doctors come up with more medications to cure acne.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Sean Kelly
    2nd Period

    Who likes having ugly dots all over your face? Nobody! I think acne is a big cause towards depression. People will think just because they have acne they are ugly, they think you have to have a clean face to be "cool". That is why it can lead to depression. People need to realize that its what is on the inside that makes a person who they are not the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  87. Acne does not really affect me that much. As far as I know, it doesn't heavily affect those that I associate with. For me, it does not change how people react with me and how I would react with them.
    Steffie Philip
    Period-6th

    ReplyDelete
  88. Danielle Uy 5th PeriodDecember 5, 2010 at 7:05 PM

    Acne and depression coincide with each other because I have acne and I hate presenting myself in front of others who don't have it. To be honest ideally we all want perfect skin. Acne definitely doesn't keep me from getting involved, but I do feel less confident. Thus, people will only be looking at one's outer beauty rather than personality.

    ReplyDelete
  89. Ayoub Saber
    Period 4

    I know how some people feel about their acne. I know it bothers you sometimes, but you have to get used to it. I've seen alot people caring about their acne and some of them don't even like their skin. It's hard for teenagers to get away with acne.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Raphael Laran
    5th Period

    I think that depression and acne actually do feed each other. Some people make fun of others that have acne and that makes them be depressed. Sometimes acne starts because the person is under a lot of stress, and the stress could be caused by depression. And it depends on the person if appearances effect how they feel, because some people could be a person who loves to look good. In my favorite activity I do at school, Band, appearances don't effect us at all. We treat each other as family, seen as who we are, not what we look like. And no, I don't treat others badly if they have acne. I personally don't care if they have it or not, I feel like it's what's in the inside that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  91. Melvin Valimattathil
    Period 6

    Kids who get made fun of about acne are most likely to go through depression. If people stoped making fun of others their woulld be less depression. If I had acne I would not care what other people said.

    ReplyDelete
  92. Acne actually does affect how I feel around others, but this was mostly back in middle school. Noticing how tons of other people had acne (that was usually worse than mine) gradually lowered how self-conscious I was about myself. It has also changed the way I treat other people that have acne.

    Daniel Thai
    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  93. There is an absolute link between depression and acne. If I find that a pimple shows up on my face, I might keep thinking about it for the rest of the day or so. And later if it bothers in me in such a way that I have to deviate from my normal routine and hide from people so that no one notices the ugly spot on my face, it clearly marks a negative mindset in me. People start caring about skin tone and facial appearance pretty early in life that they consume more than the required time for makeup and other beautifying treatments. I think teenagers must waste less time on makeups and more time on studies and reading educational books.

    ReplyDelete
  94. Leslie Vazhappilly
    Period 4th
    Acne is one those things that most people go through. This really can effect how people think about themselves. I really feel sorry for her and what she is going through. This leads to kids having depression because they think don’t look good or not talking out because have a pimple in their face. Personally I don’t have acne. I think this can be prevented by people stop making fun of other people because they’re ugly or doesn’t look good enough. Then the people, who get treated like that, get depressed and go through depressing. So we should treat everybody equal, no matter how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  95. Ervin Ricasio
    Period 5
    Acne is a big thing that people don’t like. It’s pretty much unattractive, but people have acne because of bad hygiene and from their parent’s genes. Acne doesn’t affect me that much, but if it did, I would have visited a dermatologist. Some may feel very uncomfortable walking in public with a lot of acne and some really don’t care. It really shouldn’t affect the activities you do. It’s not right treat people with acne differently, it’s rude. People with acne can’t do anything about it. The things they could do are washing their face and putting ointment on the acne to prevent it from spreading throughout the whole face.

    ReplyDelete
  96. Ervin Ricasio
    Period 5

    Acne is a big thing that people don’t like. It’s pretty much unattractive, but people have acne because of bad hygiene and from their parent’s genes. Acne doesn’t affect me that much, but if it did, I would have visited a dermatologist. Some may feel very uncomfortable walking in public with a lot of acne and some really don’t care. It really shouldn’t affect the activities you do. It’s not right treat people with acne differently, it’s rude. People with acne can’t do anything about it. The things they could do are washing their face and putting ointment on the acne to prevent it from spreading throughout the whole face.

    ReplyDelete
  97. Stephen Castillo
    4th Period
    This article is one of the first articles that has stuck out to me. In my opinion all people struggle with acne once in their lives, if you haven't then great, keep living. Just because someone has acne problems doesn't mean people have to make fun of them. How would those people feel if they woke up and they had a bad breakout and the people they were made fun of made fun of them? Acne should not decide your personal life, just because you have acne doesn't mean you should not do things that require being seen, acne is just one of those struggles in life that we have to get over. Thanks to todays technology we have simpler ways to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Joe James
    6th Period
    I completely understand that acne has a chance of spawning depression amongst teens, but you have too look past what you see on your face through a mirror and just get over it. Also, bullying someone who has acne shouldn't be a problem either, considering that pretty much everybody gets a pimple at least once in their teenage years.

    ReplyDelete