Monday, February 21, 2011

British PM: Multiculturalism Has Failed

British PM: Multiculturalism Has Failed

BBC
State Multiculturalism Has Failed, Says David Cameron
5 February 2011

David Cameron has criticised "state multiculturalism" in his first speech as prime minister on radicalisation and the causes of terrorism.

At a security conference in Munich, he argued the UK needed a stronger national identity to prevent people turning to all kinds of extremism.

He also signalled a tougher stance on groups promoting Islamist extremism.

The speech angered some Muslim groups, while others queried its timing amid an English Defence League rally in the UK.

As Mr Cameron outlined his vision, he suggested there would be greater scrutiny of some Muslim groups which get public money but do little to tackle extremism.

Ministers should refuse to share platforms or engage with such groups, which should be denied access to public funds and barred from spreading their message in universities and prisons, he argued.

"Frankly, we need a lot less of the passive tolerance of recent years and much more active, muscular liberalism," the prime minister said.

Human rights

"Let's properly judge these organisations: Do they believe in universal human rights - including for women and people of other faiths? Do they believe in equality of all before the law? Do they believe in democracy and the right of people to elect their own government? Do they encourage integration or separatism?

"These are the sorts of questions we need to ask. Fail these tests and the presumption should be not to engage with organisations," he added.

The Labour MP for Luton South, Gavin Shuker, asked if it was wise for Mr Cameron to make the speech on the same day the English Defence League staged a major protest in his constituency.

There was further criticism from Labour's Sadiq Khan whose comments made in a Daily Mirror article sparked a row.

The shadow justice secretary was reported as saying Mr Cameron was "writing propaganda material for the EDL".

Conservative Party chairman Baroness Warsi hit back, saying that "to smear the prime minister as a right wing extremist is outrageous and irresponsible". She called on Labour leader Ed Miliband to disown the remarks.

Meanwhile, the Muslim Council of Britain's assistant secretary general, Dr Faisal Hanjra, described Mr Cameron's speech as "disappointing".

He told Radio 4's Today programme: "We were hoping that with a new government, with a new coalition that there'd be a change in emphasis in terms of counter-terrorism and dealing with the problem at hand.

"In terms of the approach to tackling terrorism though it doesn't seem to be particularly new.

"Again it just seems the Muslim community is very much in the spotlight, being treated as part of the problem as opposed to part of the solution."

In the speech, Mr Cameron drew a clear distinction between Islam the religion and what he described as "Islamist extremism" - a political ideology he said attracted people who feel "rootless" within their own countries.

"We need to be clear: Islamist extremism and Islam are not the same thing," he said.

The government is currently reviewing its policy to prevent violent extremism, known as Prevent, which is a key part of its wider counter-terrorism strategy.

A genuinely liberal country "believes in certain values and actively promotes them", Mr Cameron said.

"Freedom of speech. Freedom of worship. Democracy. The rule of law. Equal rights, regardless of race, sex or sexuality.

"It says to its citizens: This is what defines us as a society. To belong here is to believe these things."

He said under the "doctrine of state multiculturalism", different cultures have been encouraged to live separate lives.

'I am a Londoner too'

"We have failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they want to belong. We have even tolerated these segregated communities behaving in ways that run counter to our values."

Building a stronger sense of national and local identity holds "the key to achieving true cohesion" by allowing people to say "I am a Muslim, I am a Hindu, I am a Christian, but I am a Londoner... too", he said.

Security minister Baroness Neville-Jones said when Mr Cameron expressed his opposition to extremism, he meant all forms, not just Islamist extremism.

"There's a widespread feeling in the country that we're less united behind values than we need to be," she told Today.

"There are things the government can do to give a lead and encourage participation in society, including all minorities."

But the Islamic Society of Britain's Ajmal Masroor said the prime minister did not appreciate the nature of the problem.

"I think he's confusing a couple of issues: national identity and multiculturalism along with extremism are not connected. Extremism comes about as a result of several other factors," he told BBC Radio 5 live.

Former home secretary David Blunkett said while it was right the government promoted national identity, it had undermined its own policy by threatening to withdraw citizenship lessons from schools.

He accused Education Secretary Michael Gove of threatening to remove the subject from the national curriculum of secondary schools in England at a time "we've never needed it more".

"It's time the right hand knew what the far-right hand is doing," he said.

"In fact, it's time that the government were able to articulate one policy without immediately undermining it with another."

96 comments:

  1. Well this is really nothing more than one man's ignorance of the situation. He went off and said some things abruptly, based off of the stereotypical assumption that Muslims are terrorists. Now that he's offended some people and portrayed himself as something he claims he's not, now he's trying to "clarify" and clean up his mess. It's evident in his tone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Raines
    Period 4
    I think this is interesting that it is easy to see where they were coming from, but it is also very easy to disagree. Do I think its okay to want to keep the culture of your country the same? Yes. But I don’t think it is right to completely undermine someone because of there religion. If their law is that there is a freedom of religion then why is it that this religion is such a problem? Nothing should be changed and nothing should have anything put into action towards it in a negative way if it is only something like religion. Something that is promised to be free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esteban Palacios
    6th period

    This article got me confused because of the Islam extorimism. I dont know whats its about but if its not working or going well then why bother?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Logan Gloster
    Period 4

    Obviously this guy didn't know what must be said to help stop terrorism because he ticked off the Muslim community. He put them in the spotlight and pretty much made a stereotype of them because not all Muslims believe in the extremity of terrorism. Because of this, I think we as a society are starting to lay on the stereotypes a bit thick and causing more discrimination because we simply don't know enough about a culture or religion and believe the first thing we hear. People just need to accept that everyone is different in the world and not get so wrapped up in trying to be better than everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mayur Patel
    Period 4

    Everybody talks about other religions at some point but this person went too far because he kept on going and I would be mad also if I were Muslim. Just because a couple of incidents occurred throughout history regarding them, it doesn't make sense that we should still go on and keep on blaming them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lloyd Farley (2nd Period)February 21, 2011 at 7:08 PM

    What kind of identity does Cameron propose? To me this sounds as if he plans on making this strict national identity which alienates all whom find themselves outside of those boundaries. This perpetuates the same ideology that has been using Muslims for scapegoats by defining Islam as dangerous. Yes I will slander Cameron as a right-wing extremist he admits to using methods “favored by some fascist” such as restricting new Mosque and repatriation so they can “cut us off from this religion.” Cameron not only wants to smash Islam but also Irish republican movements and Anarchist so he can hold on to his power.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kaylah Moore
    2nd period
    I agree with Myles Patterson, this is nothing more than another man’s ignorance. You think people would have finally figured out that it’s not the religion that kills; it’s not the person’s race, their ethnicity, none of those! It’s the person that kills. No matter where you are, you will always have danger everywhere around you; you can’t just focus on one group of people. Take a chance and just live your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ajeet Baath
    6th Pd.
    The ignorance being displayed here is off the charts. These men cannot fathom the true problem with Islamist extremists because they don’t understand it, no matter how many statistics they have or big words they know. The solution to this problem lies within the Muslim community, and no one else. Although there is a wide gap between Islam and extremist Islam, I believe that the Islamic community is responsible for solving a problem that affects everyone. This is not to say that the Islamic community as whole is at fault, only that they are the best candidate for fixing this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eby Lukose 3rd PeriodFebruary 22, 2011 at 1:23 PM

    Some Muslims are extremists and some Muslims are terrorists, but not all. I think that extremity should not be banned, but watched by the government. Some people may find the need to be extreme in their culture, so they should not be stopped from this, unless it directly hurts or goes against the beliefs of the country. As long as these extremists are not harming or terrorizing, they should be left alone. I believe that with diversity comes success, so if this country wants to be successful and united, they should encourage and accept different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think this guy said anything wrong. It is a well known fact that all terrorists are Muslim. I have never heard of a terrorist attack that was not made by a radical Muslim. In my opinion, Islam is bad, but all of the Muslims aren't bad people. However, these good Muslims have to deal with the stereotypes they get from terrorists! The real problem is that governments for some reason cater to these annoyed Muslims and don't want to offend them. Whatever they do, someone will be offended. Who cares if it is a Muslim?
    Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica Dove
    5th Period

    In my opinion, not everyone in a country can have the same religious belief. Even if they don't speak out and tell everyone. Out of hundres, thousands, or millions of people, someone has to be against it. Nobody can get mad at a person for that.
    Racism still goes on today in our society, but i never realized that it was still this bad. A person can't control what they look like on the outside!
    Overall, I don't think this situation makes much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Danielle Uy 5th PeriodFebruary 22, 2011 at 3:13 PM

    The man's actions were straight up ignorant. Second, this man should own up to his words and accredit that he has offended Muslims. I understand where the man is coming from because we've all been stereotypical whether among cliques, race or appearance. Stereotypes will always linger around and the fact of the matter is that it is what is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that the man stepped beyond what is polite and non-offensive and furthered the stereotypes that plague Muslim people. Very few Muslims are extremist and he is not helping those who simply believe in Islam to give them guidance. I think that while it is a priority to stop violent Muslim extremist believers, but also to keep peace with the Muslim community that resides in the area. And Joseph, the Irish are well known for terrorist attacks on the British because of the control that Britain has over Ireland. Please, think about what you say before posting something that could possibly be so offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In a way it is wrong that people automatically assume that all terrorist are from Iraq or they're simply Muslim. "The man" should have the right to stereotype somebody just because of how they look. This to me is a form of discrimination. We are all human beings under the same sun ... so let's not judge a person based on their race, religion or just based on their appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 3rd period

    While I agree that people need to make more of an effort to stop Islamic extremists, I think this guy carried it to far. Not only did he basically stereotype an entire religion but also wants to segregate them. I believe that there is a better solution to these types of problems that don't involve being racist.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alvin Mei
    2nd Period

    What is up with all the discrimination these days? Extremist should not be under so much pressure. It is the government overrating to their needs. The things they do are unnecessary, but other people don't have to be prejudice. And like Eby said, it would be a good idea for the government to watch them, and not make a big deal over it, angering all these people. We should all accept what extremist Islam followers do, because everyone in this world has a religion, and with religion comes peace, and extremist Islams are just different paths to the same goal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tyler Morris
    4th period
    Islam extremism could be part of the solution, or part of the problem. There just is no real way to tell whether it will help or not. Is it right to make assumptions based on peoples religion, no it is not. But maybe making assumptions based on past actions of the same people may not be such a horrible thing. If we do not even try to fight back, then why bother gaining independence?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tommy Settlemyre Third PeriodFebruary 22, 2011 at 4:04 PM

    David Cameron said, "We need to be clear: Islamist extremism and Islam are not the same thing." It is a fact that all of the extreme Islamists are (or claim to be) Muslims. Therefore, if one is not (or does not claim to be) a Muslim, then he is not an Islamist extremist. Muslims will be held under "greater scrutiny" than other groups because, frankly, other groups do not produce as many terrorists. "Scrutiny" is not a big deal. At least they are not being put into concentration camps. Come on, people. Think. Cameron is just trying to keep his people alive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wonder, what then do we call those who obviously not Muslim but terrorize, as in to "create and maintain a state of extreme fear and distress?" If someone obviously claims "that all terrorists are Muslim," then they are being more ignorant than even Cameron himself who actually knows terrorists range from a variety of ethnic groups (such as the Centennial Olympic Park Bombing in Atlanta, Georgia). Anyway, I do have to admit that this was bound to happen if Cameron, a prime minister for the United Kingdom, just managed to mention that people should be punished for not preventing terrorism, especially pointing out that the ethnic groups should control their own problems. Seriously, is it necessary to even point out that trying to control another person who wants to commit mass destruction on anyone is harder than it looks? Cameron really needs to get his point made without imposing too much responsibility onto his country. Not much can be done against these kinds of people, only patience and awareness is what can prevent these terrorist campaigns from happening.
    -3rd Period

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that is not fair that people think every person that is Islam is trying to mess up the goverenment. We should get to know the person first.Then make a jugdement on them.
    Roy Glover

    ReplyDelete
  21. This man just put Muslims under the spotlight and then expect them not to be angered by it. Some Islamic people are terrorists, but that doesn't mean the whole religion should be accused of being terrorists. They are normal people and the society we grow up in often fails to realize that. For me, after living in Kuwait for nearly two years where the majority of people are Muslim, the things this man said about Islam are just wrong. You can't take back the things that come out of your mouth and Mr. Cameron failed to realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fifth Period
    I thought that a multicultural society was always the best society out there. With multiculturalism, everybody can feel equal and peace can be preserved. However, this man obviously stated something that went against multiculturalism. This, of course, angered a lot of people. In my opinion, he's really not that great of a person. The Muslims oout there have the right to go against him.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nick Mathai
    P.6

    Since Cameron had pretty much declared himself stereotypical of Muslims with the speech he gave most of them are now angry about this. But anyways he is just trying to help his own people and certain measures have to be undergone to accomplish this task even if it was not very polite but I personally think he could have been a bit more polite to the Muslims and not just declare this to the whole nation.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nina tames
    3rd period

    The way the guy handled it was stupid. Not many Muslims are extremist, but some are. Some actually believe in Islam to give them guidance in their lives. The Muslim terrorists really do give their group a bad name though, so of course people are going to sterotype them..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cortney Corley
    Period 4
    I think that blaming people and pointing fingers at the islamic culture is unwise. Different cultures should learn to respect each other despite what others believe. Claiming certain cultures are guilty is adding to the problem, not the solution. Yes, I am aware that in the past there have been Islamic terrorists, but you shouldn't blame the whole culture for one person's wrongdoing. Not everyone in a religion has the same mindset, so one shouldn't say something because of this. I think that in this situation, people are being prejudice and discriminating.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cortney Corley
    Period 4
    I think that blaming people and pointing fingers at the islamic culture is unwise. Different cultures should learn to respect each other despite what others believe. Claiming certain cultures are guilty is adding to the problem, not the solution. Yes, I am aware that in the past there have been Islamic terrorists, but you shouldn't blame the whole culture for one person's wrongdoing. Not everyone in a religion has the same mindset, so one shouldn't say something because of this. I think that in this situation, people are being prejudice and discriminating.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jay Shah
    6th Period

    Well I want to say good luck to this man. By saying things as he did in his speech, he ticked of extremist Muslims and normal Muslims. I don't believe in the stereotype, but I'm just saying he has a much higher chance to be attacked by an extremist now that he has made some stereotypical comments. To me he sounds like a little kid trying to get attention. However, since he is the prime minister of Great Britain, he must know what he is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anthony Chenevert
    2nd Period

    Obviously this man doesn't have a clue about what he is talking about. I don't understand why there is still so much discrimination now-a-days. I feel that to be apart of the solution is to help stop the problem. The Extremist should be able to handle pressure better and the government should be more careful and take precautionary tactics so they can control these people. Muslims can be terrorist but so can any other race and religion. We all should just unite and become as one.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Neethu George
    3rd period
    I believe that that Islamic extremism is okay to be allowed. As long as there is no terrorism and killings it should be okay. After all, Muslims are just like any other religous group but tend to be a little bit more extreme. I think these people should be left alone and everyone should go about each other's business.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jenny Chang
    Period 5

    I think the strong feel of national identity helps people from turning to extremists. Even though their religion remains to be Islam, they are citizens of the UK. They have the duty to protect and love their country. I believe that the religion Islam itself does not encourage followers to pose harms and to terrorize non-believers.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ryan Rodriguez
    Period 6

    I think that Islamic extremism is not right. Everyone should be whatever they want to be and not get punished for it. Islamic exremists must not know what freedom is if they don't grant it to other people.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is just a response to the stereotypical "every middle eastern faith not Christianity is terrorism". This man needs to realize that by saying that we need a national identity, he himself is going to the extreme by forcing an identity on people, like extremists worldwide. The level of ignorance in this country towards other cultures is outstanding. Stereotypes in this country are just ridiculous, and people like this should be stopped from getting followers.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Chaz Talab 3rd PeriodFebruary 23, 2011 at 4:43 PM

    I think that the whole idea of trying to implement multiculturalism is very good. Having more diversity in a country is very good for its culture and also for its people. Having more diversity makes you people more educated and aware. However being that some of these cultures have been living by the idea of one culture, one religion, and one language; its going to be very hard to implement new cultures, religions and languages. Overall I do hope that this multiculturalism works out.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sean Nelson
    3rd Period

    I think that this was just a bad move on Cameron's part. He was way to abrupt and said some things he shouldn't have. You can still be Muslim and not be a terrorist. That's just a bad stereotype and a bad move for the prime minister. I mean, there probably is a Muslim who's not a terrorist who goes to Elkins.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Carolyne Lu
    Period 3

    This was just pure ignorance. I'm pretty sure that if Cameron was exposed to more cultures and religions and more people in those groups he would not have said this in the first place. He's most likely just said that because of his lack of exposure to different kinds of people. If he got to know a variety of people then he wouldn't stereotype anyone and offend them.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Travis Crissman
    2nd period

    I believe that this man made a big mistake by saying that Muslims are terrorists. Just because some Muslims are terrorists does not make everyone who is Muslim a terrorist. Cameron should consider the fact that there are also many people who are known as “home-grown terrorists.” I definitely think he went too far with his statements and insulted many innocent people.

    ReplyDelete
  37. 3rd period

    Like Logan said, this guy obviously didn’t know what he was saying which in result mad the Muslim community upset. Also like others have said, he probably said this because he hasn’t been in contact with many other religions. This stereotype isn’t so far off of what some Americans believe this still. What people need to do is to take this example and learn from it and know that they need to spread the word and try to help this from happening again.

    ReplyDelete
  38. John Gann
    Period 4

    I find this rather disturbing, that a person in a major global position could be so judgmental. I also picked up on the hidden bashes on Ireland as Lloyd, but this has been so since the 50’s and is unjust, but not addressed fully. This is also disturbing, why can’t a major global political figure man-up?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Joseph Asthappan
    Period 2
    Most people don't realize that most Muslims are not terrorist, but people continue to believe that because of 9/11. The Islamic extremism should have its limits, they should also have at least some freedom because they are quiet similar to other religious communities and share same examples. The government is underestimating its protection, for anyone could attack a country these days. Then a full-out war would start.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Dylan Allotta
    4th
    I think that this article is interesting. I disagree however with the people who want to change everything. People should be free to believe in what they want as long as it works within the boundaries of the law. People should move if they don't want to believe in something they have to. It's all about what religion means to that specific person.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Jae Phan
    Period 4

    This reminds me of the movie "You Don't Mess with the Zohan" starring Adam Sandler. Many of the middle-eastern Americans are stereotyped as terrorists. I can't imagine how much emotional stress it causes these people who have been categorized as terrorists because they are they are the same ethnicity of terrorists. Honestly, people should just stop stereotyping, just because someone is a certain color, it does not mean they will act a certain way. By calling out false lies about others, it is hard for the others to prove that those lies are not true.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Amber Tunstall
    Period 4

    I thought this article was kind of boring and made little since. The only thing I really understood was about equal rights. I think everywhere should have equal rights regardless of your beliefs race or gender. It's unfair that i get treated like I'm less than everyone else because of my religion and the fact that I'm a women.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yeah insult the people that could you say "bomb" you. Everyone these days is a little bit racist, but it's the remains of our ancestors I suppose. Still people have to right to be insulted for one person's mistake. We just have to realize that.

    Period 6

    ReplyDelete
  44. Jade Martin
    Period 4
    I think that keeping the culture of a place is a good thing. Everyone is proud of where they come from, so it's only normal for someone to want to keep their culture. Judging someone because of their religion and faith? Well, that doesn't seem fair. It seems that the government is punishing a group of people over somthing that was done by only a few people.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Michael Brennan 3rd PeriodFebruary 25, 2011 at 3:02 PM

    Everyone has their own opinions in life. Just because somebody thinks different doesn't mean that you have to attack him. I do think he was wrong by voicing his opinions to everyone though. People should keep their opinions to their self and everyone should accept other people opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Abby Christopher 5th periodFebruary 26, 2011 at 1:26 PM

    First of all not all Muslims are terrorists or people who support Islam extremists. It is not fair to the good Muslims out there to be pinned on the board as terrorists. I believe that the prime minister spoke without thinking and will probably take what he said back sooner or later. I also think that judging someone just based on their religion is too much. We have to be open-minded and really get to know a person before judging them.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Alma Martinez
    4th period

    I think just because you live in a country where your religion may not be followed you should still be able to practice it. You were born with it and if your country gives you free rights then why is it such a dilemma. Your culture is a huge part of your life is what you are and if someone does not accept it I think that is not really fair.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Gabriel Camera
    6th period
    I feel sorry for Muslims because the people usually think that they are going to do something bad to America just because of their religion. And that's not fair. Religion is one thing and personality is another.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Merin Mathew
    Pd. 6

    This refers to the stereotype that "all Muslims are terrorist" which is not really true. In fact, not all Muslims are terrorist or who support Islam extremist. And not all terrorist are Muslim either.I think prime minster was kind of ignorant for pointing out that Muslim are terrorist. I wonder if it is possible if there is a point of time that we will stop saying prejudice words since we are all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Erica Barrera
    5th period
    I think it was wrong for this man to blame just one group of people. Some Muslims are the kindness people but that doesn’t mean all of them are terrorist. It’s really wrong to just point fingers at people. I don’t think it’s right on what he is saying but I understand its freedom of speech. All he’s doing is saying what he believes but I don’t agree what he is saying at all.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Charlene Sigua
    Period 4

    It isn't fair that many Muslims out there are being stereotyped as a terrorist. The truth is, not all Muslims are a terrorist or a person who supports Islam extremists. I think that he spoke without thinking and hopefully will take it back. Also, I agree with Gabriel, religion is one thing, personality is something else.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Matthew Louis
    6th

    The way that our society is now, people are quick to call Muslims terrorists, but honestly if it was the other way around, wouldn't most of us want to fight? This whole conflict could have been avoided if the man simply put himself in their shoes. If everyone in today’s society put themselves in the shoes of their enemy, we would all find out the true peace it would bring.

    ReplyDelete
  53. The problem here is that the man said something without thinking first. My only guess for why he would say that about Muslims is probably past events such as 9/11. No matter what the reason though, he did display some ignorance. Anybody can be an extremist, even if you don't have a religion. Yes because of events like 9/11, people will stereotype Muslims. But an educated man like that shouldn't have a problem of distinguishing Islam, and Islam extremists.

    ReplyDelete
  54. People automatically assume that terrorist are always Muslim which is not always the case. For example, the Oklahoma City bomber was of Christian faith. So, western societies should not just look at the countries in the Middle East and think the people in the countries are always terrorist, when in fact in some cases it is the people of in their countries. In fact look at their own citizens which may not follow the Islam faith but in fact carry out acts of terrorism.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Francescha Rundle
    Period 5

    What David Cameron stated in his speech was totally based upon stereotypes on how all people of the Muslim faith are terrorist. The fact of the matter is that this is not true. We cannot deny that people from this culture have committed terrorist acts, but we also cannot deny that other people from other faiths, including Christianity, have done them too. Not every single Muslim or Islamic person is bad, and what Cameron said was uncalled for. The people living in London should feel like they are wanted there and are great citizens, including Middle Eastern people. Also, when Cameron realized that what he said made a lot upset, he wanted to "clarify" his actions. What he said was wrong and cannot be taken back.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Lillian Cancino
    3rd Period
    I don't understand why our world is the way it is. There are so many problems that people develope on their own. They makes things more complicated for themselves. Our world is based off of people's opinions. They always want to believe what other people say in stead of finding out on their own. stereotypes are very common in this case. People always referring to a certain "type" of people of a certain "type" of culture to blame, when really they shouldn't even be critisizing. Just because people or someone is muslim, or of islamic faith doesn't mean that they are terrists. This guy really made a fool of himself, basing things off of his opinions, when they really shouldn't matter. You should really think about things before you say them, because once you offend people, it's all over. That is all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Bailey Banks
    6th Period

    Cameron's suggestions are down right outrageous. Singling out the people he sees as Islamic extremists isn't helping; if anything these assumptions are making things worse. When people say things like this that could be hurtful or prejudice to people in a certain group brings in hate, only accumulating more bad events. Instead of excluding others Cameron should think about including whoever he sees

    ReplyDelete
  58. Justin Johnson 6 periodFebruary 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM

    I disagree with Joseph Asthappan's statement that" all terrorist are Muslim". The definition of a terrorist is a person who terrorizes or frightens others. Mostly within urban areas. Terrorist comes in all shape, sizes, and religion. Every time someone robs a bank in America, ninety percent of the time their not Muslim. So they are classified as a terrorist.
    The time is coming to a end where peace between Muslims and the world hold up. Many people blame the Islamic faith for terrorism, but funny how Islam is the fast growing religion. I've been talked about and hated and I seen the same done to my mom for being a Muslim. I do believe in peace and freedom of religion. I don't feel he should have anger Muslims in the first place.
    - Justin Johnson
    6 period

    ReplyDelete
  59. I don't believe all Muslims are terrorist or all terrorist are Muslim. I felt that he is blaming Muslims for their problems and that should not be tolerated. Muslims are very good people and should be treated like people. We shouldn't target Muslims like this guy did.
    - Jeffrey Jhingree 4th period

    ReplyDelete
  60. Victoria Hackney
    2nd Period
    "Freedom of speech. Freedom of worship" Cameron has the freedom to express his believes and his concerns, as do people have the freedom to believe what they want to believe. People are going to judge, I mean face it we are not perfect, and we can not let comments by a single person get us down. What he said is wrong, yes, but he was expressing his beliefs and you can not punish one for just expressing what they believe. Even when what they think is 'wrong' to you.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Saimol Edaparampil
    3rd Period
    I think that having Islamic people and Islamic Extremism is okay as long as if they do not hurt their country and that they don't hurt anyone else or any other countries.If they are terrorists then the government should keep a close eye on them so that they won't repeat what they did on September 11 in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Aileen Nguyen
    Period 3

    The way Cameron addressed the issue was not right at all. A large amount of people are now offended because of what he said. Labeling an entire group of people based on a stereotype usually results in negative consequences. The fact that Cameron pointed out an entire religion just makes things worse. If he had chosen his words more wisely, this issue could have been avoided.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Nick Grieger
    2nd Period

    Like most, I believe that David Cameron went too far with his ideas on terrorism and Islamist extremism. How does one even classify a person an Islamic extremist? In my opinion, Cameron did not carefully choose his words, therefore making Muslim communities angry, which is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Emily Panozzo
    4th Period

    I can understand why one would feel as David Cameron or others would feel such ways toward people in America who practice religions that are out of the norm, but I don't believe that expressing anger through a speech is responsible or effective. Public statements of any kind should not be made speaking of a certain group of people unless they are doing serious damage somehow or the speaker themselves is apart of the group. Obviously the public announcement targeting people of Islam has only caused a controversy. We can all learn something from this article.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Anastasia Konik period 5thFebruary 27, 2011 at 2:54 PM

    Even though terrorists are under most circumstances Muslims that doesn't mean they should be targeted because not all of them are bad. Though writing a speech against them and how he feels is slightly immature, he shouldn't target them like that because some of them are just living their life while they have to live under the stereotypes that terrorists have created for Muslims.

    ReplyDelete
  66. In my own opinion this article made little sense to me. The only main part that made sense was the equal rights. Just because your Muslim, Christian or Hindu does not mean that people should see you lesser than them self.
    Alexis Landoski
    2nd Period

    ReplyDelete
  67. Alex Cyriac Period 5February 27, 2011 at 4:02 PM

    I think this is a great stance. People need to be more serious when it comes to multiculturalism. It is a very serious thing. It could lead to all sorts of problems and this is a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Leah Ware 2nd PeriodFebruary 27, 2011 at 4:16 PM

    Everything this man said was based on the stereotype that all Muslims are terrorists. It's true that some terrorists are Muslims, but not all Muslims are terrorists and not all terrorists are Muslim. It isn't fair that the Muslim people are treated so badly because of a stereotype. I think that David Cameron went too far.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Azim Hemdani
    Period 2
    Well to start off I would like to say that I do believe multiculturalism is a big issue. I think David Cameron wasn’t wrong when he said that the UK needed a stronger national identity to prevent people turning to all kinds of extremism. Along with supporting Mr. David I do think it affects people’s human rights. Well I agree that Islamist extremism and Islam is not the same thing. Muslims, Christians, Hindus, and other groups should be able to express who they truly are without any hesitation because it is time the right hand knew what the far right hand is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  70. I personally think that David Cameron crossed the line on this one. He is only saying this based on a stereotype that all muslims are terrorists. Sure some terrorists are muslim but definitely no all of them. It isn't fair that these people are being treated purely because of stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Malcolm Berry
    Period 5

    I agree with Estaban Palacios, I am very confused about the article. But from what I can understand is that the ideals of Multiculturalism are corrupt and the opposition of this article strongly disagrees with it. And from what I read I concluded that the ideals of Multiculturalism are not fair and should be exiled because of its racist view of the Muslim community.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Ervin Ricasio
    Period 5

    There are many people stereotyping on Muslims and all the good Muslims have to deal with it. Many people have been talking about Muslims for years now and they still will. In my opinion, I think most terrorists are Muslims, but not all of them. Some Muslims are good and some are bad. The solution to this problem is to act differently to prove that Muslims are not bad people.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Ervin Ricasio
    Period 5

    There are many people stereotyping on Muslims and all the good Muslims have to deal with it. Many people have been talking about Muslims for years now and they still will. In my opinion, I think most terrorists are Muslims, but not all of them. Some Muslims are good and some are bad. The solution to this problem is to act differently to prove that Muslims are not bad people.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Jaison Mathew
    4th Period

    It think this guy is just being ignorant. If he was a muslim, how would he feel if the guy he elected for prime minister was saying these things about him? How would he feel if the prime minister said that he could be a terrorist and put him in jail or took away most of his rights? And with the whole 'all muslims are terrorists' thing, there have been many terrorist acts made by people from other faiths including christianity. I think this guy should get in trouble somehow for saying these things in his FIRST speech. And if he said this in his first speech, what will he say in his next one?

    ReplyDelete
  75. Raphael Laran
    5th Period

    I agree with Ervin, people shouldn't be stereotypical towards Muslims; not all Muslims are terrorist and people think all Muslims are terrorists because of Nine Eleven. We shouldn't judge other people's views on life, if that is how some Muslims do things, we need to accept it. Not all Muslims are terrorists, that is just a fact, but some people think that all of them are.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Melvin Valimattathil
    Period 6

    I think what this man said was very wrong. Being Muslims does not mean you are a terrorist so this man needs to think before he speaks.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Grace Bonojo
    4th period

    Mr. Cameron's comment was really uncalled for the way he attacked the Muslim culture like that. Sure he had a point he was trying to make, but surely a comment like that could have been better stated. He should have taken into consideration what others would think about his comment. Although I do think it was noble of him to try and rectify his statement, he tried to explain that he meant all forms of extremist. His comments were stereotypical and I believe in the future he should be more cautious of his words.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Grace Bonojo
    4th period

    Mr. Cameron's comment was really uncalled for the way he attacked the Muslim culture like that. Sure he had a point he was trying to make, but surely a comment like that could have been better stated. He should have taken into consideration what others would think about his comment. Although I do think it was noble of him to try and rectify his statement, he tried to explain that he meant all forms of extremist. His comments were stereotypical and I believe in the future he should be more cautious of his words.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Chris Bready
    period 6

    It is not right to stereotype. Not all Muslims are terrorist, and not all Mexicans are illegal. It is not fair to all of the muslims that are having to deal with this situation even though they have done nothing wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Joel Simon 4th periodFebruary 27, 2011 at 7:04 PM

    I think it was wrong for him to do this because not all Muslims are terrorists. There are only a few Muslim terrorist and its sad to see that they bringing shame to the religion. I believe you should get to know someone before assuming they are a terrorist. Not all Muslims are but there many of them. Also, David Carmen is only saying all of this because it is based off stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  81. Kenneth Pranoto Period 2February 27, 2011 at 7:11 PM

    Kenneth Pranoto (Period 2)
    I think this is interesting that it is easy to see where they were coming from, but it is also very easy to disagree. But from what I can understand is that the ideals of Multiculturalism are corrupt and the opposition of this article strongly disagrees with it. Also a stereotype that all muslims are terrorists. So there are two ways to choose, to agree or to disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  82. I think this person went too far with this article. I don't think its right to blame a religion or ethnicity of an incident that happened because of one person. You can not classify every Muslim as a terrorist. David Cameron could've used better wording to express his feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  83. I understand David Cameron's concern for his country and why he might've labeled all people of the Islamic faith as a terrorist. But even with both of these understandings in mind, it's not enough to go against what he said. I'm sure if he could, he'd change his words, since it's not only putting us in distress, but also giving him new troubles to worry about.

    Daniel Thai
    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  84. Courtnei Coleman Period 5February 27, 2011 at 7:29 PM

    It's wrong to assume that if a person is Muslim or from Iraq then they are most likely a terrorist. This is similar to discrimination. It's not a certain race,religion, or gender who kills. It is the person who kills,no matter what race,gender, or religion they are.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Tiffany Garcia 4th periodFebruary 27, 2011 at 7:37 PM

    I think that most people will think what they will about Muslims and the terrorists. With what happened in this country and how some Muslims feel about Americans it is only natural that some would feel that all Muslims are terrorists. The sad thing is that this does stereotype Muslims and the Islamic faith, which is not fair. David Cameron took this one a bit too far.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Aman Gupte
    Period 6

    I agree with all who said that Cameron crossed the line. He’s stereotyping Muslims, and calling them terrorists. I don’t believe that all Muslims are terrorists and I think it’s unfair to be treated the way Cameron did the Muslims.

    ReplyDelete
  87. Joshua Okanlawon
    6th Period

    Ever since 9-11 occurred, the Islamic people have been targeted countless of times for being the problem in different countries. This man was caught up in his own stereotypical mess about the Muslim and ended up offending some people. Now he’s was just trying to cover up his insults against the Muslim people. This man gave a general stereotype of all Muslimsand he put them into a group called “Islamist Extremist”, but he should not have done that.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Nico Alba
    Period 2
    In a way it is wrong that people automatically assume that all terrorist are from Iraq or they're simply Muslim. "The man" should have the right to stereotype somebody just because of how they look. This to me is a form of discrimination. We are all human beings under the same sun ... so let's not judge a person based on their race, religion or just based on their appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  89. Kyne Onyenze
    3rd Period

    I think that this was just a bad move on Cameron's part. Is it right to make assumptions based on peoples religion, no it is not. But maybe making assumptions based on past actions of the same people may not be such a horrible thing. He is only saying this based on a stereotype that all muslims are terrorists. Sure some terrorists are muslim but definitely no all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Kaitlyn Trei
    Period 6

    It seems like people are stereotyping Muslims as being terrorist and that is what people think when they see Muslims. I don't think it was very fair to call all Muslims terrorist. There should be equal treatment for everyone no matter what religion they are. I think that it is very ignorant for him to of announced that all Muslims are terrorist.

    ReplyDelete
  91. Period 5
    There are so many people that stereotype on Muslims today. But what people are not realizing is that the people who are terrorist aren't even grouped as Muslims. Muslims lifestyle is all about peace in life and you can clearly see the terrorist do not have that life. Therefore, this man should think twice before he says things.

    ReplyDelete
  92. This person crossed the limits with his words talking about religion. I am sure that an Islam follower would not be happy reading article. Just because roses have thorns, it doesn’t mean that all flowers have thorns. After 9/11, Americans consider most Muslims to be related to terrorism. This is not entirely true, well some of them may have relations with terrorist gangs but all other innocent Muslims should not be made subject to such derogative descriptions. I think more than 90% of the Muslims in America now are pure in heart.

    ReplyDelete
  93. Jasmyne Amos (3rd Prd)February 27, 2011 at 8:36 PM

    I agree this man did handle this situation in a poor manor. Like Nina said the Muslim terrorist did give the Muslim people a bad name. Of course people are going to stereotype them. We as humans stereotype based on your religion, race, where you live, where you come from. I have a feeling that majority of the Muslims aren't bad people. But because of those bad people in the Muslim community they will be labeled as bad people.

    ReplyDelete
  94. 4th period
    Sadly, there will always be stereotypes, racism, discrimination, but there's nothing we can do about it; except not take part in it ourselves. I disagree with Ervin, when he said the solution is to act differently to prove that Muslims are not bad people. The solution is not to be ignorant, and to be educated about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  95. Katie Snyder (2nd period)February 27, 2011 at 9:07 PM

    I think that everyone should be entitled to their opinion, and their own first impressions. Falling into social classifications based on materialistic qualities will only destroy the human race.
    What happened in this situation was wrong.
    Katie Snyder

    ReplyDelete
  96. Prerna Kamnani
    4th Period

    Cameron’s approach on the issue was not right at all. Numerous people have been offended by his words. Due to offending people, peace has been disrupted in the Muslim community. Cameron brought upon a predicament. The fact that Cameron pointed out an entire religion just makes things worse. If he had chosen his words more wisely, this issue could have been avoided. Also, Cameron lacked the knowledge about the religion which led him to his careless mistake.

    ReplyDelete