Judge Sentenced Mother Convicted of Falsifying Residency Records to 10 Days in Jail January 26, 2011
By Andrea Canning and Leezel Tanglao
ABC News
An Ohio mother's attempt to provide her daughters with a better education has landed her behind bars.
Kelley Williams-Bolar was convicted of lying about her residency to get her daughters into a better school district.
"It's overwhelming. I'm exhausted," she said. "I did this for them, so there it is. I did this for them."
Williams-Bolar decided four years ago to send her daughters to a highly ranked school in neighboring Copley-Fairlawn School District.
But it wasn't her Akron district of residence, so her children were ineligible to attend school there, even though her father lived within the district's boundaries.
The school district accused Williams-Bolar of lying about her address, falsifying records and, when confronted, having her father file false court papers to get around the system.
Williams-Bolar said she did it to keep her children safe and that she lived part-time with her dad.
"When my home got broken into, I felt it was my duty to do something else," Williams-Bolar said.
While her children are no longer attending schools in the Copley-Fairlawn District, school officials said she was cheating because her daughters received a quality education without paying taxes to fund it.
"Those dollars need to stay home with our students," school district officials said.
Sentence Intended as Deterrent
The district hired a private investigator, who shot video showing Williams-Bolar driving her children into the district.
The school officials asked her to pay $30,000 in back tuition.
Williams-Bolar refused and was indicted and convicted of falsifying her residency records.
She was sentenced last week to 10 days in county jail and put on three years of probation.
She will also be required to perform community service, the Beacon Journal reported.
Williams-Bolar said she was being singled out. "I don't think they wanted money ? ," Williams-Bolar said. "They wanted me to be an example."
Presiding Judge Patricia Cosgrove acknowledged as much.
"I felt that some punishment or deterrent was needed for other individuals who might think to defraud the various school districts," Cosgrove said.
Monday, February 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Last year when I was an office worker at FCMS, the counselors’ office would be flooded from the postal service returning letters. The letters would be out of the district or unavailable. The counselors' secretary would call the receiver and they'd say they're in the process of moving and three weeks later they would have the same address. The excuses would vary from misinterpreting English to just a dead phone line. It is unethical to falsify your address because I mean one pays taxes for their designated school. She should have had her husband file real papers. She shouldn’t have lied about where she lived because if she didn’t want her daughter going to a bad school, she should have worked harder to earn residency where the designated school was honorable. Looking back at her consequence, it was harsh considering a lot of people do it without getting caught. And sometimes when they are caught they only get a strict series of warnings. The people falsifying their address just end up using their friends or relatives addresses.
ReplyDeleteWell, this story is pretty interesting. This really is a two-sided issue. On one hand, a mother wanted her children to be in a better school and a better enviroment, and she took action to get that accomplished. That is completely understandable. However, that action she took was wrong and apparently considered illegal. And so a consequence is due. What I did not understand is that if she lived with her father periodically, and he lived in the district she liked, why did she not leave the children with her father for school, or possibly make her move with her father permanent? Either way, she knows now not to tamper with school districts.
ReplyDeleteThey came down way to hard on this woman because although it was illegal to lie your address giving her three years probation, ten days of jail and a 30,000 fine. This is way too strict they should have instead just kicked her out of the district without consequences. On the flip side the district used her as an extreme way of proving they're point. She has shown what consequence will occur if you illegally go into their district there will be extreme consequences to their reaction causing them to think twice about this.
ReplyDeleteFifth Period
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is... I feel really really sorry for her. I really do. She cares about her daughters so much! She's even willing to break the law for them. I am completely on the mom's side because I understand what it's like to be in that situation because I kind of went through it too. I went to a decent middle school (Fort Settlement) and all my friends are at Clements. However, I'm zoned to Elkins. My mom was thinking of ideas to get me to go to Clements too, but in the end I still decided to Elkins. The mother in the story was just trying to do the best for her children. The family could obviously not afford to go to the better school. However, aren't we all told that we should be caring of others so that they can have an equal chance? I believe that by sending the mother to jail, we are being hypocrites.
Esteban Palacios
ReplyDelete6th period
This school is wrong. If it really wants to have students then they wouldn't actually fine the parents. They might say something but not fine them.
The mother was both wrong and right. Wanting to send her daughter's to a better school district shows that she cares about their education, but lying and having false papers was bad. I think she shouldn't have been charged with all of those punishments, she should have just been warned. I know a lot of people that use their relative's address. I don't think this was fair to the mother.
ReplyDeleteJay Shah--6th Period
ReplyDeleteI think this is a issue. I know many people who give fake addresses to the school for reasons like that of the article, or maybe so their progress report doesn't come to their house. Either way you are trying to cheat the law, which makes it illegal. I agree with what she did, because what mother wouldn't want her kids to be more safe. But I think that she could of just left her kids with her dad, and since she went there a lot, she would get to see them. The sentence wasn't too bad, but it would be weird for the kids to have a mother who has been in jail. But I agree about the fact that they are trying to make an example about her. I know I won't try to mess with districts when I grow up.
There are a lot of people who lie about where they live in order to get there children into a better school. I mean being a kid who got inter district transfers every grade until sixth I can see why people lied. It is a lot of work to get one and also it can be very stressful. So I understand why this woman did this, however I do not see why they put her in jail for it, she was trying to get a better education for her children. I can see how the school would have been mad at her for doing this because they haven't been getting the money that they should have for the children being at the school, but I still feel that it was no reason to put her in jail, even if it was only ten days.
ReplyDeleteCortney Corley
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
It is completely understandable that a mother wants her children to have a good education. What she did wasn't THAT extreme, it was the next district over. In my opinion, officials focus too much on zoning. Yeah, it would be wise to get a transfer form, but her father loved in the district. I know a whole lot of kids who use different addresses, and nothing drastic has happened. Different people have different preferences when it comes to schools, this woman just did something about it.
Shelby Hendon
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think this can go either way. On one hand, the mom shouldn't have lied, but at the same time, I can see why she would do it. I think if I was her, I honestly would have done the same thing. It was for her child, and parents sometimes have to lie for their children, and in this case, she was doing it for her child's benefit, so I don't think what she did should be a legal issue.
Ajeet Baath
ReplyDelete6th pd.
Although charges were excessive, they were indeed justified. It’s one thing to live just outside of the school district and not know, but to lie about it is something else entirely. There is a reason that property tax is high in a specific district, and that is obviously used to pay for education at that designated district. It only makes sense to be convicted for not paying for something that everyone else has to. This was wrong, but in a way it was right.
Erica Barrera
ReplyDelete5th period
Well I find that if a parent does not want their kid or kids going to one district but going to another out of there district okay. I know a lot of kids who go to a school out of district. My friend goes to Madison High School when really he is zone to a Fort Bend school. These families find going to another district maybe better for their kids. I don’t know why people not want other kids from other districts. All this lady wanted was a better school for her girls.
This case could be debated supporting both sides. The mother wanted her kids to enjoy an elevated level of education which most others do not care to take advantage of. For a better living that she could at once buy for her kids, she lied not foreseeing its consequences. This could be justified from a mother's point of view, but the law shines equally on people. As my personal opinion, she should be prosecuted for the conducted crime.
ReplyDeleteLogan Gloster
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think that if the woman didn't get caught that she should have continued falsifying records. If she had paid her taxes then I wouldn't see any reason why she couldn't send her kids to a different school. The world is a dangerous place today and some people don't understand that because they live in a bubble and don't experience "the other side of the tracks." She still had to be convicted though because if they let her off easy then people would think that is unfair. There is a lack of trust in a lot of places. One time when I was at the barn my dad got his truck stuck in the mud and I had to go to the neighborhood next to the barn with this girl that had a pig at the barn. It was fine until after I called my mom to pick me up. Across the street a group of guys (no racism intended) all black made a circle and two started fighting. I felt very unsafe at that moment because I stood out being red-headed and left as quickly as possible. People live on stereotypes and what they think is wrong, but it's just a matter of different cultures not understanding each other. Some people still believe that all Chinese people eat dogs or that all African-Americans are in a gang. It is this that causes so much lack of trust and this is why even though we all have the same rights, we are still segregated.
I am astonished at the government for putting this woman in jail. Do they realize what they did? They put a parent in jail for wanting a better education for her kids. Not only that but they wanted to make an example about her. By saying this, it almost implies that they won’t do it to anyone else. I don't think that this was fair at all. Technically part of her family was within the borders, so her children should be able to go to that school. I found the whole idea of sending her to jail not only unnecessary but also disgraceful.
ReplyDeleteNeethu George
ReplyDelete3rd period
I can understand why the mother lied. Parents only want to give their children a better education. But the mom shouldn't have lied about their residency. She should have just transferred her children and pay the tuition. So in a way this is both right and wrong.
3rd period
ReplyDeleteWhile I do agree that what she did was wrong I belive the punishment was too harsh. I'm fine with the 10 days in jail part but a three year probation! That's just harsh. Another thing, is jail really that bad so that 10 days in there is worth $30,000?
The mother should not have lied in the first place. No matter what her intentions were, lying is unjustified in court. It is perfectly fine for her to wish for her kids' better education. There are other ways to approach this issue rather than committing a crime. If it were my parents, I would have strongly opposed this movement.
ReplyDeleteI asked my mother about her opinion on this case. She said she would not blame the mother for sacrificing her own life for her kids. She asked me if Mother Teresa would have done the same. I had no answer to this question but I think Mother Teresa would have thought of better ideas. Education is everything that a parent can provide a child.
ReplyDeleteNot all families can afford to go to expensive schools but certainly everyone can dream of sound education. This is all what the mother did. She didn't want her kids to go to a ghetto school and learn unwanted stuff. The law must forgive her for once as her actions explain that her intentions were pure.
ReplyDeletePrerna Kamnani
ReplyDelete4th Period
This is definitely an issue I was not aware about. I feel sorry for the mother because she only wanted a better education for her children. She was looking out for their future. Although she cared for her children, she went against the rules. She was wrong to lie about her residence. Her punishment was much, but it would set an example for other attempting this act. It is not fair to people paying taxes for education. The mother was only looking out for her children, but she did not take the right course of action.
Chris Bready
ReplyDelete6th period
This is really shocking. Is the school that your kids go to really that bad, to lie about where you live? I know you want the best for your kids, but don't teach them to lie. If you feel like you can lie, then your kids will follow you, and they will start to lie, and think that it is ok to lie.
Jessica Dove
ReplyDelete5th period
I don't think that she should have to go to jail. She was trying to provide for her children and give them a better opportunity to succeed in the future. If her dad lives in the schools limits and she lives there part time, the children should be able to go to school there.
Even though it was wrong for the mom to lie, I think that the punishment was harsh.
5th period.
ReplyDeleteThis is unnecessary! It seems like the government doesn't even notice that what they are doing is completely unnecessary. They're putting a woman who just wanted a better education for her kids on probation and in jail for 10 days. Plus, I don't think she should pay 30,000 dollars in TUITION!
For some parents, they don't even care what school their kids go to, as long as they're there. But at least she's putting herself at risk for her kids. No matter the consequences. So I think it is very unethical to put this woman in jail.
The news these days are getting more and more ridiculous. The mother was only trying to provide her children with a better education. Yes, she did something that was wrong, but I don't think that she should be punished this hard. I feel like the mom should be held responsible, but she was looking out for her kids' futures. They could also not give her such a high amount as a fine. That much money could be some peoples yearly income. I think that people are making a big deal out of a small issue.
ReplyDeletePeople must really not want future US citizens to be educated. Texas wont spend billions of dollars of education money they have in school funding accounts, and are making budget cuts everywhere. This district is no different. Because these kids lived on the other side of an imaginary line that is constantly changing, their mother is in jail. All they wanted was a good quality education. I think the schools should deal with this, but not punish the family as to pay $30,000. It is not like that money will go to better anybodies education anyways.
ReplyDeleteKatie Snyder
Jenny Chang
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I can actually understand the mom's action. She is willing to break the law to provide her child a better education. I don't think she deserves to stay in jail for 10 days. They should just fine her a little to give her a warning.
I really think everyone who is criminalizing this lady should send their little precious daughter to a school near the projects. This is another example of the war on the poor. If a wealthy woman did the same thing she would have been attacked and “made an example of” but when would a wealthy lady worry about going to school in the projects? I also find it weird that the schools in the projects are of much less quality than schools located in wealthy areas. Convicting this lady is proof of the new face of segregation in the school system, and class war. This lady had no other choice than to try to help her children have the best opportunities (in our supposedly public schools) when the system is working against her. I do not feel sympathy for the school that “lost” money and I do not think this lady is in the wrong at all, it was actually incredibly brave to stand up to an oppressive system. Also this woman has been working extremely hard but is unable to become a teacher now even though she was incredibly close to her goal.
ReplyDeleteUsually, most people I know who actually would rather falsify records or something on par with that do not intentionally mean harm, they essentially want something that's just out of grasp. Yet, they would rather not go the extra mile to stay in their own area or just pay for the service, but instead let them manage to sneak past rules and regulations to meet their own necessities. I admit that I do feel somewhat bad for the woman for at least "trying" to give her children a good education that corporations and companies will not provide, but I would rather remain stern about her actions. Why run from the truth, or simply why not be pleased with what's already provided? Sure, it may not seem to be your liking but life is never what anyone likes it to be. There are sacrifices eventually, and I admit these things are hard to swallow at first. Yet, the community must be regarded too and not charged extra for something another would rather not deal with. Some people will get away with it, but in due course "what comes around goes around" and this woman would have gotten caught by the government. After all, the government does seem serious to shut down illegal activities as seen on the border, public records, and even on the internet like Limewire.
ReplyDeleteAnthony Chenevert
ReplyDelete2nd Period
This article is a great example on how district should not run their schools. This women did this for a great cause. You never know her daughter could have been the president in the future and I feel that they took it out of proportion when they jailed her. Wow is this how all district are because it should not matter and it is very ridiculous if they do. Many people now a days are just trying to get as proper education and I feel that it doesn't matter. Think about college you can apply anywhere you want and that should be how high school is if people are seeking better educational opportunities.
I feel this incident was pointless and unnecessary. The school shouldn't have gotten on the mother in the first place because the father lived in the correct school district. The father also has custody over the children ensuring that they live there guaranteeing them the education they want. I don't think that she should have gotten any punishment for this.
ReplyDeleteI am not at all surprised by this issue. A lot of the parents do this now a days. The kids learn from their parents, and chances are that after several years these kids might not hesitate to lie about anything as they were exposed such an environment. The mom should be sent to jail for this crime.
ReplyDeleteEven though she had good intentions, you still can’t break the law. She should have tried another method like trying to transfer or moving them with her father. This is like a homeless person stealing food for the rest of his family. You have good intentions, but it is wrong and you almost always get caught in the U.S. The funny thing about this though is that I know of many people who do this exact thing. Ten days of jail is okay, but I think that three years of probation is a bit extreme. Yes she refused to pay the $30,000 charge but they have to take into consideration that she was trying to protect her kids, especially because her house got broken into. They should use another method to make her pay up. And since she was caught and the government was so serious about it, the government should continue to look into other families doing it because it is not fair that other families will continue to do it.
ReplyDeleteIf this wasn’t a school blog I would express my feelings more but since it is one I’ll try to compose myself. First of all I think this whole case thing is STUPID, thousands of parents use other addresses to send their children to school. It shows they have an interest in their child’s education for one and it shows that they feel as a parent their current district education is unacceptable. The fact that it’s a private school also shows how rude the districts can get. I mean here’s a mother trying to get her children a better education and now she’s behind bars. What does this say about America’s education system?
ReplyDeleteKiah R.
3 period
Amita Batra
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I feel like the mother was very thoughtful. The thought of wanting her kids to go to a big school is something understandable. Most parents do want the best for their kids, but they should find a legal way to give their children a better life. Just because the mother thought well doesn't mean she could just send her kids to school without having to pay taxes by giving a false address. I would be outraged if someone I knew did that because it is just unfair to the rest of the parents who are busting their butts to pay bills and taxes. These are some hard times due to unemployment and budget cuts, but that is no excuse to do something illegal.
I think the lady is awesome for being bold enough to sacrifice her well-being for her children. I think that the sentencing was a little bit drastic, I mean come on all she was trying to do was put her kids in a safe enviroment...is that really wrong? They should be acknowleding the fact that she tried to do better for her kids instead of them acknowledging that she comitted fraud.
ReplyDeleteI think it's about time somebody tried to stand up in a world filled with regulation. Sure we must follow some rules for a good, working system, but when something like this happens when a mother wants her child to have the best, there has to be some kind of system in place to help them. Fraud is bad, yes, but shouldn't we be focusing on the people who fraud for greed rather than focus on the ones who fraud for good? Also, I think the government may be trying to once again suck up tax money from the people. Then again, they should pay the same dues but be allowed to be able to go to the school they want. It's another case of silly regulation having to be followed for the sake of being followed.
ReplyDeleteI believe the mother lied about her address for a good reason, only to help her daughters education. Was it wrong? Yes. But a fair warning should have been sent out to her and told her the severity of what she is trying to do, and to stop. I don't think they should have put her in jail even if it was for only 10 days because it occurs often and is made out of good intentions.
ReplyDeleteAlvin Mei
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I believe this is wrong. How it is a crime to send children to a better school, when the school that the children are presently attending to is bad? Although the mother was not paying the correct taxes, they could have at least given her a break. She wanted the most she could get out of her children; by what she get is to be sitting behind bars. I saw this article somewhere and also saw the video of the mother being in court and crying as the police took her away. You can see from the way she fought that she did not deserve it, and is not right.
Period 2
ReplyDeleteThis lady is caring for her children and she really will do anything for her daughter’s education. She was charged, sent to jail, and under probation. That’s is some real love right there, but this will get a bad influence on the daughters, because when they become older they might act similar to this situation and lie about their address to send their children to a better school. But in this case I don't think that she be charged with fees or and punishment besides the removal of the children within the better school. It is ridiculous how the government acts now these days, they are after your money.
Nick Mathai
ReplyDeleteP.6
I think this was not a just way to deal with the situation. My friends across the street used to do the same thing to go to Clements. But in their Sophomore year they got caught and the officials told them they have to go back which they did but they did not get punished for this. Then why should this lady be punished while others aren't being punished. Another reason is that I don't think it's fair that people are zoned to schools but rather they should be able to go to any school they want if there is extra space and if they could provide their own transportation.
I do not think there is anything wrong with what is going on. She broke the law trying to send her kids to a district she wasn't paying taxes to and she got caught. She deserved to be punished because if everyone could do this than schools like Clements and Elkins would be flooded and Marshall would be empty. If she wanted her kids to have a better education then she should move or move in with her Dad.
ReplyDeleteAmber Tunstall
ReplyDelete4th
I don't think that's fair at all! I would do the same thing. It's not fair that she should be punished for trying to give her children a better education than what they are "required" to have. She had a perfectly valid reason to do this for her children. Maybe if so many schools didn't have sucky education systems, people wouldn't have to do that! They shouldn't have been allowed to punish her for something that's really their fault in the first place.
Dane Gantt
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
This really shows all of us how stupid and random the system has become. That school district should DEFINITELY be state recognized for charging a lady $30,000 for wanting her kids to receive better educations.
First of all 30,000 dollars in tuition is excessive. Thats like a college education. The education couldn't possibly be that good. This is another example of people being snotty with an "I-am-so-much-better-than-you" attitude. Like Lloyd I think people should spend a day in her shoes. I believe THE PEOPLE WHO ARE CRIMINALIZING HER SHOULD BE CRIMINALIZED!!! Sure the government says "no child left behind", does anyone seriously believe that? If you really wanted to learn in one of those schools, you probably wouldn't be able to anyway. Any solution I see to this problem is pretty illegal, anyone else have any ideas?
ReplyDeleteMishi Jain
ReplyDelete2nd period
I can see how this would be an extremely controversial idea. First of all, $30,000? That is such a ridiculous amount that I just can't believe it. The mother wanted her children to go to a better school. It's not like she wanted to abuse her children. The mother had a good intention for the welfare of her kids. Second of all, there are many people that do this just so that their children can go to a better school. But why 30,000 dollars?! I think that is just not a good idea as the mother didn't do anything wrong.
As a mother, I would also have done the same for the better education of my kids. In 1997, Adam Gilchrist did a similar crime in Australia for which he was awarded later by the chairman of the school zoning committee. Instead of appreciating the mother's intent in wishing for her kids' better education, we accuse her of a crime and put her behind bars. Time ought to reveal good and bad in this case!
ReplyDeleteThis is not right at all. She just wanted what is best for her daughters and it isn't her fault that the school she is zoned to was bad. I remember that when I was in eighth grade that my parents wanted me to go to an academy so that I wouldn't have to go to Bush high school(my zoned high school.) Its not fair that someone who is poor can't get their children the same education as a wealthy family.
ReplyDeleteCarolyne Lu
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
What this mom did for her children was very courageous. She only wanted the best for her children so they could have a more successful future. Isn't this society all about promoting a good education? We're obviously not backing that motto up if we're making such extreme consequences for this little problem. I understand the school district's frustration with this matter because what she did was definitely illegal. She could have taken some other steps to do this legally. However, the fact that she did this just for her children should make her a very respected woman.
I feel that the mom's punishment wasn't necessary. I mean, she shouldn't have lied about her residency knowing people will find out soon. Then again she only wanted her daughters to go to a better school for a better education. She wanted the best for her kids and their future. I say they re-think about her punishment.
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I agree with Ashley, they do need to rethink her punishment, but on the other had, she did cheat the district. What she needed to do was to work something out with the school and the district so that she wouldn’t have been in this predicament. And if that didn’t work out she should have took legal actions. But whatever happened to the "no child left behind" plan?
ReplyDelete2nd period
We all want a future. And I'm sure that when we all get a future, we all want kids (unless some of us dislikes children). And when we get kids, we want them to have a future, right? I say that this lady did the right thing, she wants her kids to have a future. Apparently that school district doesn't want the kids to have a future. It's all about the kids education we should care about.
ReplyDeleteThis story just shows how the education system at this point isn't really about education anymore. It's pretty sad actually.
ReplyDeleteI think that this woman had the right intentions; she only wanted the best for her children. But she should not have lied about her residency; she should have tried to pay the school's tuition instead of lying and falsifying records. The consequences do seem a bit harsh though; what she did was wrong but she had good intentions. I believe she should have just paid the tuition rather than go to jail.
ReplyDeleteNina tames
ReplyDelete3rd period.
I feel bad for the mother. Yeah, it was wrong of her to lie to them, but she was just thinking about her kids, and their future. I think they should of just gave her a warning or something.
Danielle S.
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I don't think her sentence is fair. Then again if that's the school you want your children to attend there are prices you literally have to pay. It doesn't seem right because we are only seeing her side of the story. Her intentions are right, but the way she went about it was wrong.
Megan Scott
ReplyDelete2nd
This is another clear cut example of a mother who only wants the best for her children. Considering that she would go through such measures to ensure a better life for her children,she can't be a bad person. And she certainly did not deserve this, in my opinion at least. And this 'example' that people want to make of her is extremely unecessary.
3rd period
ReplyDeletePersonally this story needs a little interpretation. A mom wanted her children to get a better education so she lied to the district and used her children’s fathers address on the zoning sheet basically. What doesn’t make since to me though is this. I understand that the mother is a great mother for doing that for her kids but she is really setting a bas example to them. Shouldn’t she be teaching her kids that if they want something that they need to work for it and earn it the right way instead of cheating. One last thing is that this lady has gone through a lot and there needs to be some sort of solution to this whole mess.
Kyne Onyenze
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I feel that the mom's punishment wasn't necessary. This is definitely an issue I was not aware about. I feel sorry for the mother because she only wanted a better education for her children. This is way too strict. They should have instead just kicked her out of the district without consequences but the district used her as an extreme way of proving they're point. I guess we can all learn from this that its bad to lie and if you want better for you children, then strive for it instead of lying.
I agree with the decision to punish the mother. She committed a crime and if it goes unpunished, we would not have any students attending ghetto high schools as they would all be trying to get into the Debakey's. It just would not work out. Her punishment might be a bit harsh, but she should not be allowed to walk free from her crime.
ReplyDeleteJade Martin
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
Sometimes I think that they take the zoning and boundaries a little bit too seriously. I personally think anybody should be able to go any school they want to as long as the school is not overpopulated. If a school is good for someone, they should be able to attend it. I do think that faking your address is wrong, though. No one should show false residency.
As horrible as it is, I'd have to agree that the mother be sent to jail. Everyone can see that her intentions are well but she had broken the rules. She had also gave her children an education without paying the proper taxes, basically like stealing from a store, even though she didn't know. At least the sentence is only 10 days of jail. The 3 years of probation shouldn't be too bad if you truly are a good person.
ReplyDeleteDaniel Thai
Period 5
Jaison Mathew
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think she was doing the right thing, but doing the wrong thing too. The school district should just acknowledge that she was just trying to get a better education for her kids. We all know she did lie about her address and information. I believe they did give a punishment that did not fit the crime though. She could have made the choice of moving her kids to her dad's house or just moving all together especially since her house got broken into. There bet there were more ways to get her children to the other district anyway. She should have made a better decision.
Charlene Sigua
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I don't think this is right. A mother just wanted a better education for her children. Yes, what she did was wrong. But she was thinking about her kids' future. I think they should re-think about her punishment.
John Gann
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
Last year I attended FCMS with Danielle Uy, and I know exactly what she is talking about. I knew several kids last year who produce fake addresses to attend FCMS and Clements High School. The people that do this want ti have a better education within the district, and these people view Clements as a better education, which it isn’t. But outside the district is a whole new deal, especially with taxes. If you mess up a Super Attendants cash flow you are in major doo-doo. This in all is illegal, even though you are trying to help your child's life, you are messing up peoples with higher civil influences, leading you to trouble. Plus, Elkins is the best high school in the district, I chose it over Clements.
Jae Phan 4 Pd
ReplyDeleteUsing someone else's address to apply to a school is illegal, but most schools do not enforce this rule. Perhaps the district was tired of people breaking the law and decided to make an example out of a family. It was very unfortunate for this woman, but rules are rules.
Sean Nelson
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I agree with the punishment that the school district gave to the mother. She did cheat her daughters into a better school without paying taxes for it, so it's like winning a sports game but with your whole team on steroids. It's just unfortunate that the mother was punished just for trying to get her daughters a better education.
Jeffrey Jhingree
ReplyDelete4th period
I think what this lady did was not that bad for her to end up in jail. Yes I agree that it was wrong for her lie about where she lived but all she wanted to do was what was best for her kids. My mother would be terrified if our neighborhood was full of crime and would probably transfer my brother, sister and I to a different school. The punishments are probably too harsh. Ten days in jail, three years probation and having to pay back 30,000 dollars in tuition to school officials is a little to much for a minor crime like this. I still think that she still needs to be punished or at least give her a warning.
Nick Grieger
ReplyDelete2nd Period
Although this woman was trying to help her kids receive a better education, what she did was wrong and she knew it was wrong when she lied about her home address. I believe the woman deserved the punishment she received, because she did something wrong. She made herself and her children seem more superior to the rest of them in the other district. In the end, the mother might have thought that what she did was right, but all she did was set a bad example to her children.
Sarah Raines
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
Well, you can’t really blame her. She just wanted the best for her children. She wanted them to go to a good school, to have a good education and a good influence. But the way she did it was wrong. Other people pay taxes and it wouldn’t be right for her to skip out on that. As for her sentence I don’t think that it was too harsh. I mean you get what you ask for and it’s just unfortunate that in the midst of trying to help her children she probably did damage. I can’t imagine having your parents go to jail for any reason would be easy on a family.
I think that the Mom wanted a better life for her kids, and that is completely understandable. I don't agree with the actions to get to the goal but I understand her actions to get her kids a better education. Education is the base of your success in life, and if it isn't good you probably won't succeed as much as you want to. I think that the punishment was a tad bit harsh, and I hope her actions cause some changes in the education of the schools in that area.
ReplyDelete-Ryan Haines Period 2
Melvin Valimattathil
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I think what the lady did was wrong and she deserved to go to jail. She did it for her kids but, since she broke the law, she has a to deal with the consequence.
Tyler Powers 5th Period
ReplyDeleteThe district blew this way out of proportion because although it was a "crime" what she did it did not deserve the kind of unnecessary fines and penalties. For example, they fined her $30,000 for giving her children a better education. On top of this, they also gave 3 years probation and a 10 days’ worth of jail time. This is way more than extreme for a situation that did not need to be. When the district found out about this they should have just kicked her out without any penalties at all.
Dylan Allotta
ReplyDelete4th Period
I like what she did. She wasn't lying for her own benefit and breaking the law so she could skip away with millions to her vacation home in the Bahamas. She was doing what she did for the benefit of her children so they could grow and prosper the rest of their lives with a good education. If it was me in her situation, I would do the same for my children and except the punishment for the benefit of their future.
This mother has only tried to give her daughters a top rated education, why should she be punished for wanting a safe environment where her kids to learn at? The daughters father clearly live in the district zone. We to do the same thing here where parents send there children to a different school district to either further their education in one direction or just to get a better learning experience all over. To send some one to jail for this we have to wonder what the state's over reaction will be next for something that might help us one day.
ReplyDeleteAlexis Landoski
2nd Period
Azim Hemdani
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
The mother was trying to get her daughters better education but she could have found another way. She shouldn’t have lied about her residency. Williams-Bolar shouldn’t have cheated the school districts and if she wanted her children to stay there, she should have paid for back tuition. The judge was right; they should stop all of this before it gets out of hand. Williams-Bolar should have understood the circumstances even though she had her own problems. She should have tried another way to get her daughters a better education. For example she should have tried moving to that district or another district that was excellent.
Melvin Valimattathil
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
This lady did commit a crime, so she has to be punished like every other person in the world. She did it for her kids but, she must be penalized for what she did wrong.
4th period
ReplyDeleteEven though the mother had a good reason to want to take her kids to a different school, it still wasn't right, and she has to follow the rules just like everyone else. I think she got off easy; they didn't make her pay and just let her do probation and community service.
I think it's worng that the school punished her for it. They should have warned her and kicked her out, but not a jail sentence. She could have just moved in weith her husband and rented or sold the place. It's just really extreme to punish her for getting a better education. It's really two-sided though. Morally it's wrong for punishing her, but it's bad for her to to fake records and totally lie.
ReplyDeleteI think that the mom's intentions were very good. However the way she went about doing them is not something I agree with. I mean there are many other ways to go about solving this problem. I think the way she was punished was a little hard but, overall I hope this makes education think a little bit.
ReplyDeleteErvin Ricasio
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
The mother did something that was helpful for her daughters, but a bad way to deal with the situation. Today, many parents want their children to go to schools where they would be successful. This case shows that this mother really cares for her daughter, but it was not a good thing to break the law by faking their address so that the children can go to a better school. There were so many ways to deal with this situation without breaking the law. They could have move near the school she wanted her daughters to go or the mother could look up any other good schools, but she decided to make the wrong decision.
Ervin Ricasio
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
The mother did something that was helpful for her daughters, but a bad way to deal with the situation. Today, many parents want their children to go to schools where they would be successful. This case shows that this mother really cares for her daughter, but it was not a good thing to break the law by faking their address so that the children can go to a better school. There were so many ways to deal with this situation without breaking the law. They could have move near the school she wanted her daughters to go or the mother could look up any other good schools, but she decided to make the wrong decision.
Merin Mathew
ReplyDelete6th pd.
That mom was risking her life to go to jail for the best education for her kids. The fact that she had to pay 30,000 is ridiculous. That is how much you have to pay for college expenses. I hope her kids recognize what a devoting mother they have. At least her punishment is not that bad, 10 days in jail, 3 years probation, and community service.
Samantha Twardowski
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I have two different feelings for this article. One, I feel bad that she has to go to jail but on the other hand I don't have any sympathy towards her. I believe that if all the other children have to go to that school then so should her kids, but she also just trying to protect her children, which is also understandable.
Aileen Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
I've read about this story before. It's understandable why the mother would lie in order to allow her daughters to get a better education. She just wants them to be safe. The consequences were a bit too harsh for a reason like that. She's definately not the only one in the state(or maybe even district) who has lied about her address. However, if she was worried about their safety, why didn't she and her daughters move in with her father if she was going to use his address anyway?
I think what they're doing is ridiculous. This woman just wanted her kids to get a good education. They could have given her a warning or something before putting her in jail. I don't think she deserved this kind of punishment, considering she was only thinking of her children.
ReplyDeleteAman Gupte
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
Like all stories, there are two sides to this one. On one hand, the lady wants her kids to get a good education, but on the other hand, she falsified the records. I think that fining her was justified because better education certainly costs more money. But in the end though, I think I would have done what the lady did.
Parents only want to give their children a better education. But the mom shouldn't have lied about their residency. She should have just transferred her children and pay the tuition. So in a way this is both right and wrong.
ReplyDeleteSteffie Philip
Period-6th
Travis Crissman
ReplyDelete2nd period
I can’t believe that this mom was sent to jail because she wanted her children to attend a better school. This lady was trying to be a “good parent” and wanted to protect her children. I don’t think it is ever a good idea to lie, but I certainly don’t believe that the punishment fit the “crime” in this case. Taking her children out of the school was all that was necessary. This lady should be recognized as an example of leadership and bravery for her willingness to act.
Grace Bonojo
ReplyDelete4th period
My sister has friends who falsely fill their address as their friend's just so they can go to this school. These people don't even live in this district, but their parents aren't facing any criminal charges like this mother. The fact that she did this so her child could have a better education is understandable. If she filled the address as her FATHER's addresses then I really don’t see the problem, they can still send the tax to the grandfather. The punishment for her crime is harsh and the least they can give her is a warning.
4th Period
ReplyDeleteI see this as a two-sided issue. On the one hand, all parents want their children to be in a school that provides a quality education. There is nothing wrong with what this mom wanted, what was wrong was the way she went about it. I am sure there was a right and wrong way of doing this, and unfortunately for this mom she went about it the wrong way. Rules are there for a reason and she broke the rules. She could have found a way to do this legally.
Nico Alba
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
People must really not want future US citizens to be educated. Texas wont spend billions of dollars of education money they have in school funding accounts, and are making budget cuts everywhere. This district is no different. Because these kids lived on the other side of an imaginary line that is constantly changing, their mother is in jail. All they wanted was a good quality education. I think the schools should deal with this, but not punish the family as to pay $30,000. It is not like that money will go to better anybodies education anyways.
Malcolm Berry
ReplyDelete5th period
I know that this mother only wanted a better opportunity for her children, as I would imagine all parents would. I do not think that she should be penalized for that. Besides, her father did live within the school district borders so therefore he did pay educational taxes. There for, I am in absolutely agree with her statement saying that the school district did not want money they wanted an example, which is a disgrace.
Lillian Cancino
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think that a mother is always right for trying to do what is best for her children. I don't think there was anything wrong with wanting her children to get a better education. In many cases, people get away with things much more complicated than this, and they only punish the ones that they can catch. I think that the 10 days in jail were pointless, because they didn't really serve a purpose. I think it was wrong for her to lie about her residency, but she did good in wanting the best for her children.
This is so... wow. Why would someone be so desperate to do this? There are rules for a reason. If you don't go to a good school, live with it! MOVE! Don't lie about it!
ReplyDeleteThis is really a bad thing that is happening to this woman for trying to make a better life for her kids. I know that my mom would do anything for me to go to a good school and that is no reason to take a woman to jail.
ReplyDeleteRoy Glover
Saimol Edaparampil
ReplyDelete3rd period
I think that it was wrong to lie about where they live for their daughter but I don't think that she should have deserved a serious punishment for it because it wasn't a very bad thing that she did.
I think that this mother was trying to do what was best for her kids. She obviously wanted them to be something in life and to learn as much as they possibly could. I don't think she was doing anything that was worth going to jail for. Many people want better education opportunities. Is that too much to ask for?
ReplyDeleteRaphael Laran
ReplyDelete5th Period
The idea of this Mom doing this for her kids, but it's a bad thing to lie. She had to pay $30,000 because of this, which is a big price to pay. Even though this was for her kids, it is still her fault. She probably knew what she was getting into when she lied about her residency, but I don't think it was worth it; her kids couldn't go to those school anymore even after all she has done for then, plus paying the money. I agree with Courtnei, of course a lot of people want better education opportunities, but sometimes the government won't give that or maybe they would.
Joel Simon
ReplyDelete4th period
I can understand why a mother would do a kind of thing like this. She only did this so her kids can have a better education. But lying was wrong and she deserved the 10 days in jail. But a 3 year probation is way to harsh because the mother just wanted her kids to have a better life. She wants her kids to grow up and have a successful life when they become adults.
Francescha Rundle
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
What was given as punishment for this lady was way too much. She was only trying to give her children what was best for them and for them to have a better education. Having committed fraud was wrong, but having to pay 30,000 dollars or go to jail is such a harsh punishment for a mother. The article did not even state if she had a criminal record so she must not. Having said this, the punishment inflicted upon this woman was too harsh and her intentions were for the good of her children.
Emily Panozzo
ReplyDelete4th Period
This is terribly wrong, I agree. Education is one of the most important things in America and having a good school is right up there. I understand why the mom "lied". But, I can understand the frustration with the people who are deciding whether or not to punish the woman. Most of the time, our nation isn't even frustrated with the actual illegal action, it is the fact that the accused broke the law. They had the nerve to "go against the country" and so now they deserve punishment. I guess it is only fair to say that she should have thought this one out.
Although the mother wanted her child to have a good education, giving false information was not appropriate. I understand how the mother was only looking from her point of view and cared for her daughter very much but there are many other things the mother could've done in order to give the her daughter the good education. I know that she's not the only person that has done this. There are many other parents who have given out false information in order to get what the wanted.
ReplyDeleteI thought this was a pretty intresting story. This kind of punishment for trying to give your kids better opportunities is insane. People in neighborhoods with a poor education system should have the right to go to a better school district. The parents aren't wrong for wanting the best for their children. I don't know what the problem is and real criminals are running the streets today. We are putting innocent parents in jail for a good deed.
ReplyDeleteI know many people today that are using old/fake addresses in order to go to a better school. Now since that FBISD is rezoning, I know some people renting an apartment or house in order to stay at their same school. Education is important especially in high school, it's what determines your life pretty much, so I understand why people would do this.
ReplyDeleteI think this is over the top. The parents just want the best for their children. I think everybody when they go to school should feel safe. This should be a wake up call for the school district showing that they need to reform the school and create a safer environment. These parents have done nothing wrong but care. The school district is supposed to care but all they want to do is make sure everyone follows the rules, but sometimes rules have to be broken.
ReplyDeleteThis, in fact, is a crime and I do believe she should be punished. I truly don't believe she is a bad person, but she did what she did, and because of that, she shouldn't be treated to badly. Me personally, I would rather prefer a child in a low rank school who excelled better than a child in a high ranked school.
ReplyDelete- Justin Johnson
6 period
Any mother would do what's best for their child. That's just to be expected. I think that even though it was wrong for her to lie, she did it with good intentions.
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
Alma Martinez
ReplyDelete4th period
This mom in a way is right for wanting a better education for her daughters. I personally think I would do the exact same thing just to get my daughters out of a bad place and help them actually do and be something in their lives. She probably thought she would have never got caught but lies always come out at the open. Doing things behind the law's back is also bad don't get me wrong but any human being will want what is best for their daughter's and education is something that alot of parents are really strict about trust me I know I've had three Mom's and they all were strict about school.