Monday, April 25, 2011

Chicago school bans some lunches brought from home

Questions to consider while reading:

-Do you think a ban like this really works?

-Do you think the choices in our school cafeteria are more healthy than what you bring (if you bring your lunch) or healthier than what you are fed at home?

-These are elementary school students.  Do you think something like this will help them make better choices when they are older?

-How do you feel about being forced to pay for food you do not want/like?

Chicago School Bans Some Lunches Brought From Home

Chicago Tribune

To encourage healthful eating, Chicago school doesn't allow kids to bring lunches or certain snacks from home — and some parents, and many students, aren't fans of the policy

By Monica Eng and Joel Hood
April 11, 2011

Fernando Dominguez cut the figure of a young revolutionary leader during a recent lunch period at his elementary school.

"Who thinks the lunch is not good enough?" the seventh-grader shouted to his lunch mates in Spanish and English.

Dozens of hands flew in the air and fellow students shouted along: "We should bring our own lunch! We should bring our own lunch! We should bring our own lunch!"

Fernando waved his hand over the crowd and asked a visiting reporter: "Do you see the situation?"

At his public school, Little Village Academy on Chicago's West Side, students are not allowed to pack lunches from home. Unless they have a medical excuse, they must eat the food served in the cafeteria.

Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices.

"Nutrition wise, it is better for the children to eat at the school," Carmona said. "It's about the nutrition and the excellent quality food that they are able to serve (in the lunchroom). It's milk versus a Coke. But with allergies and any medical issue, of course, we would make an exception."

Carmona said she created the policy six years ago after watching students bring "bottles of soda and flaming hot chips" on field trips for their lunch. Although she would not name any other schools that employ such practices, she said it was fairly common.

A Chicago Public Schools spokeswoman said she could not say how many schools prohibit packed lunches and that decision is left to the judgment of the principals.

"While there is no formal policy, principals use common sense judgment based on their individual school environments," Monique Bond wrote in an email. "In this case, this principal is encouraging the healthier choices and attempting to make an impact that extends beyond the classroom."

Any school that bans homemade lunches also puts more money in the pockets of the district's food provider, Chartwells-Thompson. The federal government pays the district for each free or reduced-price lunch taken, and the caterer receives a set fee from the district per lunch.

At Little Village, most students must take the meals served in the cafeteria or go hungry or both. During a recent visit to the school, dozens of students took the lunch but threw most of it in the garbage uneaten. Though CPS has improved the nutritional quality of its meals this year, it also has seen a drop-off in meal participation among students, many of whom say the food tastes bad.

"Some of the kids don't like the food they give at our school for lunch or breakfast," said Little Village parent Erica Martinez. "So it would be a good idea if they could bring their lunch so they could at least eat something."

"(My grandson) is really picky about what he eats," said Anna Torrez, who was picking up the boy from school. "I think they should be able to bring their lunch. Other schools let them. But at this school, they don't."

But parent Miguel Medina said he thinks the "no home lunch policy" is a good one. "The school food is very healthy," he said, "and when they bring the food from home, there is no control over the food."

At Claremont Academy Elementary School on the South Side, officials allow packed lunches but confiscate any snacks loaded with sugar or salt. (They often are returned after school.) Principal Rebecca Stinson said that though students may not like it, she has yet to hear a parent complain.

"The kids may have money or earn money and (buy junk food) without their parents' knowledge," Stinson said, adding that most parents expect that the school will look out for their children.

Such discussions over school lunches and healthy eating echo a larger national debate about the role government should play in individual food choices.

"This is such a fundamental infringement on parental responsibility," said J. Justin Wilson, a senior researcher at the Washington-based Center for Consumer Freedom, which is partially funded by the food industry.

"Would the school balk if the parent wanted to prepare a healthier meal?" Wilson said. "This is the perfect illustration of how the government's one-size-fits-all mandate on nutrition fails time and time again. Some parents may want to pack a gluten-free meal for a child, and others may have no problem with a child enjoying soda."

For many CPS parents, the idea of forbidding home-packed lunches would be unthinkable. If their children do not qualify for free or reduced-price meals, such a policy would require them to pay $2.25 a day for food they don't necessarily like.

"We don't spend anywhere close to that on my son's daily intake of a sandwich (lovingly cut into the shape of a Star Wars ship), Goldfish crackers and milk," education policy professor Diane Whitmore Schanzenbach wrote in an email. Her son attends Nettelhorst Elementary School in Lakeview. "Not only would mandatory school lunches worsen the dietary quality of most kids' lunches at Nettelhorst, but it would also cost more out of pocket to most parents! There is no chance the parents would stand for that."

Many Little Village students claim that, given the opportunity, they would make sound choices.

"They're afraid that we'll all bring in greasy food instead of healthy food and it won't be as good as what they give us at school," said student Yesenia Gutierrez. "It's really lame. If we could bring in our own lunches, everyone knows what they'd bring. For example, the vegetarians could bring in their own veggie food."

"I would bring a sandwich or a Subway and maybe a juice," said seventh-grader Ashley Valdez.

Second-grader Gerardo Ramos said, "I would bring a banana, orange and some grapes."

"I would bring a juice and like a sandwich," said fourth-grader Eric Sanchez.

"Sometimes I would bring the healthy stuff," second-grader Julian Ruiz said, "but sometimes I would bring Lunchables."

90 comments:

  1. Mayur Patel
    Period 4

    This can go either way because students may not want to eat school lunches because it might be the same food over and over again. Some students on the other hand, know that this will be good for them. Many kids might be allergic to foods, and some might be vegetarian. I am a vegetarian and I like to bring my food from home because I can't really eat anything at the school. I think that this is not a good idea and that students should have the ability to bring their own lunches with whatever food they want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myles Patterson, 4th periodApril 25, 2011 at 1:27 PM

    This is absolutely ridiculous, and I think that this policy should be revoked as soon as possible. I think students should be able to have the choice, especially since I bring my lunch everyday. Why should I have to pay for food that I don't want or like? Bringing my lunch takes away any kind of hassle for me. I don't have to stand in a line, so I get to eat immediately. I don't have to pay for it, and everyday I know what I'm eating and where it came from. On top of that, school lunches aren't THAT healthy in the first place, and the teachers should not be interfering anyway. Let parents decide what their children eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esteban Palacios
    6th period

    I think that the kids should be able to at least try to eat some sugary stuff. I mean if people were even given the chance then maybe they would bring healthy stuff. Maybe the parents could influence what is being brought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BLASPHEMY, this policy is messed up. I wouldn’t want to buy food from the cafeteria I didn’t want. And, there are so many cultures that have to meet certain nutritional requirements mid day, so this policy is just making it hard. Our home food may not be healthier, but if us kids pack it we’ll eat it. This policy will implement a healthy alternative towards an ideal lifestyle, but the school should only have a healthy campaign or something. It is up to the parents to monitor what their children eat since they’re buying it and putting it into their lunch. It shouldn’t be up to the school and definitely not the principal to judge what the students are eating. Plus the parents are paying for lunch their children as seen in Little Village just throw their food, dollars, away. It is just a burden for the children who will not eat, but their parents as well will have a financial burden. Golly, what poor kiddos deserve this? The Claremount school policy doesn’t sound too bad. The kids will have more awareness of a healthy lifestyle and if they eat junks afterschool it’ll be in there parents hands. Thus, the kids will eat most off their lunch except a few contraband junks. However who cares about another’s appearance cause I sure could care less. If someone chooses to eat unhealthily and be plump, suits me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is ridulous, we as students shouldn't have to buy lunch from school everyday. I bring my lunch sometimes and sometimes I eat from school. Like Myles said the school lunches aren't healthy either. So choosing the type of food from home give me a sense of comfort that my food is fresh and I know where it comes from. We as students it is important to be a healthy for the future as well. This sort of idea should be removed so that we as the next generation should have our desicion on what to eat and if we should bring our lunch or eat from school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think what the school is serving is very unhealthy. I bring my lunch everyday, and the days I forget my lunch, I wonder if I should just not eat. One of the meals they have served is fish. But this fish was square. I have never, ever caught a square fish before. If the cafeteria workers cooked instead of pulling something out of their huge freezer, they would find it would be cheaper and healthier. One problem that would be a lot more work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chaz Talab 3rd PeriodApril 25, 2011 at 3:31 PM

    I like this ban idea. School lunches are a very troubling topic with very few supporters of this ban. Like Jamie Oliver, he is one of the only people I have seen try to get school lunches to be healthier. However, my lunch is much healthier than the usual lunch that walks out of the lunch line (different from provided). I usually bring bread, two fruits, a vegetable, and a meat. However most of the kids walking out of the line have two servings of meat, no vegetables or fruit, and a Gatorade and chips. The school system is providing us with the necessary foods to have a complete meal, but they are not enforcing it. That is why I like this ban. It makes kids eat healthier. I think that it is good to do this at a young age. This is because they are still young and their look on food can still be influenced, but at an older age they have a more structured and concrete opinion that can't be broken. I think that the government should have a discount on school meals like they do for low salaries. Buying the food for lunch shouldn't be a problem for others because the average meal at school costs the same if not cheaper in your backpack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amita Batra
    3rd Period

    I am appalled at this ban on certain school foods. I find it outrageous how a school can control its students' diet. We know that not everyone makes healthy choices, but sometimes we all need a little bit of junk food. Whether or not we make wise choices, the choice should still be ours. If the school starts forcing certain small decisions onto us, what independence will we as students have? How can they expect us to be successful in life if they have decided everything as little as to what we eat for us. I find this preposterous and outraging. Of course, we are not all responsible enough to bring healthy food, but when it comes down to it, the choice should be ours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nick Brouwer (Period 2)April 25, 2011 at 4:42 PM

    This is just a way for the school to get more money. It did not specify whether this was a public or private school, but if it is a public one, having healthier students gets more funding. Also, kids then have to buy their lunch, getting the school money. The school does not really care about student health, just getting funding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lloyd Farley (2nd Period)April 26, 2011 at 1:16 PM

    The school saying “when they bring the food from home, there is no control over the food” is the biggest explanation of the whole policy. The school is just finding another way to control every part of those kids lives even if it is just what they eat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cortney Corley
    Period 4
    I think that this policy has its pros and cons. It is good because it shows how some places are making an effort into improving the health of the children. But the thing is, this cant be "one size fits all". Some kids are picky, and others are stubborn and wont eat. One school cannot control every single thing it's students eat. And who says the kids aren't going home and indulging themselves in the junk food in their house? I appreciate the fact that some people are trying to make a difference, but that can only go so far when there are so many alternatives for kids the get the unhealthy food they want. Yes, some are responsible and can manage their actions, but most students I know wouldn't hesitate when eating something unhealthy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 3rd period

    I think that the school is using their power to make unnecessary rules. I mean if a kid wants to eat something different then he has the right to do so. I think a ban like this would not work because thanks to freedom of speech kids could get the media and other important people involved which would force the school to change their mind. Trying to control everything even what people eat is not right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joshua Okanlawon
    6th period

    This policy is outrageous and completely ridiculous. This country is said to be free, but yet they are telling people and kids what to eat. If kids don’t want to eat disgusting lunch food, then they don’t have to. This policy does bring money to district, but also leaves unhappy kids at the schools. The school lunches are just as bad and even worst then the regular lunches brought from home. And if we are a truly free country, then let the kids bring whatever they want to bring to school for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melvin Valimattathil
    Period 6

    This new rule is horrible. The school should not worry what the students are eating.If the child is eating unhealthy it is the parents fault so it does not matter. Its not the schools problem that the parent is spoiling their child with unhealthy food. Plus,it is the student who is eating it. If he likes it, he likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. -3rd Period

    Of course, a good idea to enforce healthy diets takes the wrong turn and proves how futile the effort was. I mean seriously, why would anyone think this idea would successfully work without sparking some anger in the fact that it limits the children's rights. I rather see my freedoms be preserved than to see a person control what I eat so that I can live a better lifestyle than what previous generations have lived on. After all, I can just have my parents or myself try to enforce better decisions in what I should eat, and I do not see the point why I have to pay my school money to eat "healthy." Sure, the school officials can claim the children have "gained more insight" in healthy food choices and brought in more funds for the school, but at the cost of freedom and independent choices. More likely, the children could care less about eating healthy and can make their own decisions to live a healthy lifestyle that combines a nutritious diet with proper exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jay Shah 6th Period

    This idea is incongruous. Yes, I got that word off of thesaurus.com, but I had to find a word that could describe this idea. I mean who likes school lunches? Most of my friends who buy lunch don't buy the healthy stuff, but the subs, the calzones, and the tacos. They usually buy a Gatorade with it. I would like somebody to tell me thats healthy.I could bring a Pop-tart, Cheeto's, a sandwich, and a drink and be better off. In elementary school, they don't have these choices, but as they grow they will. Their parents will give them money, but they could buy many things. Plus, in schools,ideas like this are usually thought of by students as a way for the school to make money.This reinforces their thoughts about having a poor school or district, however false they may be. Plus, I am vegetarian and I hate most of the stuff in the lines I can eat. The only things I bought, or rather ate, in elementary school were tater tots and pizza, and imagine eating that everyday. So in the end, I highly doubt a ban like this would work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ayoub Saber
    4th period

    I think some schools serves unhealthy food. I mean students buy lunch everyday in school. We as students it is important to be a healthy for the future as well. My opinion is to eat what's good for you, because It's healthy and you can eat whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jade Martin
    Period 4
    I think that not being able to bring a lunch from home to school is not a good thing. I know that I prefer bringing a lunch from home because I like certain foods and if the cafeteria is serving a food I do not like, i'm not going to eat it. Plus, when you bring your own lunch you can put in as much food as you want. I think one of the possible reasons for this besides not wanting kids to have sugary foods is the money aspect of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Erica Barrera
    5th period
    I don’t like this ban idea. I bring lunch every day and I don’t pack things that I know are unhealthy. I think kids should have a choice to buy lunch or bring lunch. Like what other people were saying, some kids are on like special diets for reasons and what if they could not eat what’s served in the lunch line. You can’t control us that much. If the kid wants to eat unhealthy then let them. It’s their choice and their parents. I think personally that the food they serve in the lunch line is not healthy so why do they think it better then food from home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Joey Wright
    6th period

    Why do they have to do this? I think that's one thing that is screwed up in this country. When a person thinks in order to make a decision, they only think of one aspect; and that is the goal that they are trying to achieve. Reading this the first thing that came to my mind was money. From what I hear, a lot of teachers are being laid off due to the budget for education. If they actually continued this policy not allowing the kids to bring a lunch from home to school then the money spent on this food would be wasted. Trust me, money is becoming scarce and the school district can't afford to have their food being thrown away. I like the way the we have lunch at Elkins. It gives us more freedom of what we eat. I don't pack my lunch because (I can admit) that I'm lazy when it comes to preparing my own food. The school should allow the students to eat whatever they want from home and it's not up to them to stop them. Eating healthy shouldn't be of a schools concern. That should be up to the parents of the child to decide what they eat.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jenny Chang
    Period 5

    School lunch is not as good as people think. From my own experience, the food is greasy. They don't provide a lot of fresh fruits. Instead of buying these unsatisfactory school lunches, students should be able to bring their own lunch. I think a rule to ban this would be too unreasonable. In the article, it suggests an effective policy that Claremont Academy Elementary School uses. The school confiscates unhealthy food but returns them at the end of the day. This can be very efficient in many schools.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think that while the effort to supply healthy food is well-meaning, the result is too dramatic. Kids are kids and they need to be able to eat what they like, and suffer the consequences of eating it. It's part of managing themselves, as in college no one will be babying them on what to eat. If you don't have the personal control to watch your foods, then it might be beneficial to have a program like this, but most kids can handle what they eat.
    -Ryan Haines

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is this against the students’ constitutional rights? This is because for crying out loud it is a free country therefore students should be allowed to pick what they eat. Furthermore it is of the parents fault if their child is overweight not the fault of the school district. Also, I personal think school food is disgusting now what would I do if I am zoned into one of the schools that allow this ridiculous policy? Starve? No, thank you. Also, don't tell me for one second that any school's food is any healthier than what students bring from home. The schools food is probably loaded with a bunch of deadly ingredients such as sodium (salt) and high-fructose corn syrup to keep the food addictive for the customers (us) to keep buy. Beyond what happens if a child brings a sub sandwich or a salad from home? I know for a fact this is very healthy alternatives but it’s automatically deemed terrible. Yet, They call a Nutri-grain bar healthy. Yeah it contains grains but on the label not once but twice it says it contains high-fructose corn syrup and artificial flavoring which in the long run leads to deadly diseases being more common. Examples of these deadly diseases are heart attacks and increasing the chances of getting diabetes 2.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Logan Gloster
    Period 4

    I think this policy is only important in places that have a high obesity percentage or for kids who only bring junk food. The government is trying to improve our health but eating school food isn't necessary for all. Some kids will bring healthy food on their own. So overall this policy will hopefully help the kids who need to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This decision is both unfair and shows how the government is using ideas such as these to gain money. I understand that many kids like to eat junk food and bring it to school in their lunches, but there are also the kids whose parents pack nutritious lunches for them to eat. This ban doesn't respect both the parents and students. Also, it's a "money-machine". $2.25 a day for food you don’t eat or most likely won’t like is ALOT of waste! If this ban were to come to the state of Texas, and even the county of Fort Bend I don’t think it would get ANY supporters and will be out of the question by day one.
    Kiah R.
    3 Period

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amber Tunstall
    4th

    I think having school-bought lunches as a mandatory thing is unfair. For one thing, most kids constantly complain about the lunches being gross and unappetizing. Kids aren't going to eat things they don't like, and if I recall, it's against the law for the schools to not feed us, so if kids aren't eating, then something in the picture isn't right. For another thing, school lunches cost way to much. I don't know many people who wouldn't want to save money, especially in times like these. The point was given in the article about school lunches being healthier, well I'd have to disagree with that. When I look at the food that people bring out of the lines, then look at my own, I see how not only is mine more appetizing, but it's also obviously healthier. From the lines I see masses of sloppy enchilada smothered in fake-looking cheese and reeking of I have no idea what. When I look at my own food, I see a perfectly healthy and not repulsive meal. Most of the kids who bring all the unhealthy food either don't care about their health or have parents who don't care about it, and when it comes to the parents, I think they'd win.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ajeet Baath
    6th Pd.
    No matter how many times these school officials try to justify what they are doing to these elementary students, it is clearly something that should be considered a freedom. No food choices should ever be mandatory, especially when it is making the school district so rich. When these people try to constitute what we can and cannot eat, it is definitely time to reaffirm the fact that it is our right to consume whatever we want, as long as it’s not drugs or something.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Period 5
    I think this is killing two birds with one stone. First of all, it solves the issue of unhealthy lunches. Honestly I've seen what people bring to lunch, stuff like EasyMac, popcorn, and even a giant bag of chips (gross). With fixed school lunches, everybody eats healthy. Second of all, it helps with the picky eaters. We are way too wasteful and we just need to learn that we will eat what we have or we will get nothing. (To dump the entire tray in the trash! How wasteful can they be?)

    ReplyDelete
  29. A ban to bringing lunches would work, but citizens of America always feel they should have their rights. The instant any sort of right is taken away, they start to protest. Of course, this is a good thing that citizens are proud of their country to fight for it, but they have to face the facts. There are a lot of obese children.

    -Do you think the choices in our school cafeteria are more healthy than what you bring (if you bring your lunch) or healthier than what you are fed at home?

    When children mature, they start to think for themselves and consequences of their actions. Of course, if a child grows addicted to junk food, then the idea that snacks are good will be embedded into their mind, making it extremely hard to lose weight. The ban would've worked if it was at a younger age, but already you can see the effects of junk food on the elementary school students.

    For me, being forced to buy cafeteria food is nothing, since I always buy it anyway. Most people say the food is nasty or unhealthy. I've grown up eating cafeteria food, and I don't feel the same. To me, school food doesn't taste bad, but I have to admit that lunches from home do taste better.

    Daniel Thai
    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  30. Joseph Asthappan
    Period 2

    I think this policy is not really strong enough to continue for the next couple of generations. Eventually some obesity people might start thinking about losing weight and start eating healthy foods, but that doesn't mean that every child who brings food from home eats unhealthy. I wouldn't want to turn down my baked Turkey sub for a refrigerated salad. That makes me feel somewhat weird that I do not have the freedom to eat what I want whenever I wish to. People must understand that this is a Free Country; people cannot change other people’s faiths by rules and bans.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think schools should not be heavily involved in the students' health in terms of what they eat for lunch. Parents pack healthy food for their kids, in the right amount that they wish for their kids to eat. School lunch is mostly unhealthy because the school has to take care of a large number of kids. Quality is less significant than quantity in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Alex Cyriac Period 5April 30, 2011 at 10:27 AM

    It is a terrible idea to force a particular meal on students. To start off, the food they serve in school cafeterias is horrible in both quality and taste. Students might not like the meals they serve. It is their problem though. Until the students and the parents step up and do something about it, they'll just have to eat was is forced upon them.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mishi Jain
    period 2

    In my opinion, this is a very controversial matter that we have to look at gently. I think that this policy is a great idea and has great intentions behind this policy. It is very true that many kids bring junk food for lunch but as you can see many kids are not eating. This will lead to kids become starved therefore other consequences. I think we should just let the parents be in charge of their own children and decide would to give their kids for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Tommy Settlemyre Third PeriodApril 30, 2011 at 1:39 PM

    It is not the school's job to decide what the students eat. For the longest time, schools did not even provide food for the children; everyone had to bring their own lunch. If the school district mandates that students must buy food at school, then that is an insult to the parents. It is, and always has been, the responsibility of parents to feed their children, not the government.

    ReplyDelete
  35. John Gann
    Period 4

    Controlling ones diet through the school system is a great idea, but anything is bad for you if you have to much. If you eat or use or abuse to much of one substance you are harming your body with an overload. Chicago school systems though are taking an great inactive with this policy.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Alvin Mei
    Period 2

    Not being able to bring your lunch to school is ridiculous! I mean, sure the students will make bad decisions on what to bring for lunches, but the district is taking this situation out of hand. I don't believe that students bring unhealthy foods, because most of the foods that they bring are packed by their parents, so the percentages of kids bringing unhealthy foods are pretty low. I think the district should unban the rules, because the students refuse to eat the school's lunch, and it's starting to upset the student's guardians

    ReplyDelete
  37. Tara Phillips 6thMay 1, 2011 at 7:54 AM

    This ban on bringing homemade lunches is unnecessary. People choose what they want to eat whether its healthy or junk. I think the school board should talk to the parents of students rather than make bans.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Justin Johnson (6period)May 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM

    This policy, to me, is just another way to make money. If you stop buying food from stores and buy them at their school, they would increase profits. Unforuantly, they use health as a excuse to cover up the fact that it's all about money. If obesity is that bad, then they should intensify their gym hours.
    - Justin Johnson
    6 period

    ReplyDelete
  39. Eby Lukose 3rd periodMay 1, 2011 at 10:24 AM

    I think this is a bit preposterous. Not all students make nutritious choices but some do. So why should the kids who would bring healthy lunches be forced to buy school food? Not all school food is appetizing and it also might cost more. This policy really does not seem fair. Buying lunch should voluntary, instead of mandatory.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nick Grieger
    2nd Period

    I believe that this bringing lunch to school ban would help some schools more than others. For example, if a school district were in debt than making everyone buy the school lunches would increase the amount of income the school district receives. Yet with our school, the school lunches are not overly healthy compared to the school described in the article making the ban useless except for the money.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Rebecca Johnson, 5th PeriodMay 1, 2011 at 11:05 AM

    I find this ridiculous and I can’t believe that the schools are even trying to say that children can’t bring their own food for lunch. Can you imagine how much longer the lines would be, they would be so much longer than they already are. The fact that these schools only want children to eat the food from school also sounds like the school wants more money, or maybe that’s just me who feels that way. Personally I bring my lunch and buy my lunch at school and I don’ t think it’s right for the school to try to say what they can and cannot eat, that is up to each child’s parents and not the school.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sam Biedler Period 5May 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM

    I think that this policy should be banned. Parents have the responsibility to choose their kids food. If they make an unhealthy lunch for them then so be it. Schools shouldnt decide if the kids lunches are "Healthy" or not. Some people dont want to pay for the food and stand in line to eat. Which could take at least 20 minutes to get through the whole line. and that includes without being cut in line. Besides, School lunches can be processed and greasy and the school should check THEIR food first before they get into other kids food.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Dane Gantt
    Period 2

    Well in my opinion, I think that this is a very stupid thing to do. Attempting to ban lunches from home is like saying that you aren't allowed to eat for the people who bring lunch everyday. I bring my lunch to school everyday and if I was not allowed to, I would starve. School food can be very disgusting and definitely is not any healthier than anything someone may bring from home.

    ReplyDelete
  44. John Moore
    6th
    I believe that children should at have choices on what they bring for lunch just to have the freedom to. it might not be the healthiest thing in the school that they are eating but it is their decision and if they want to eat it then let them. the principals shouldnt determine what the students eat because in a real world environment there are no rules about food.

    ReplyDelete
  45. 4th Period

    I think this policy has its advantages and disadvantages, because not only do kids bring ALOT of junk food in their lunches but some of our schools food is unhealthy for us too. Our school lunches should be a little bit more healthier but they can still have like some junk food. This policy will definitely help kids control their weight.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ajeet Baath
    6th pd.
    No matter how many times these school officials try to justify what they are doing to these elementary students, this is clearly a matter that they should not be able to control. Food choices should ever be mandatory, especially when it is making the school district so rich. When these people try to constitute what we can and cannot eat, it is definitely time to reaffirm the fact that it is our right to consume whatever we want, with the exception of drugs of course.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Ervin Ricasio
    Period 5

    I personally believe that this is ridiculous. Getting extra food that you don’t like, but you’re still paying for as a combo is useless. I bring my school to lunch which an advantage, because everything in that lunch box is everything I like to eat. Kids these days just throw away unwanted food which is a waste of money from the school. Our economy isn’t in very good shape and school’s are losing more money due to wasting money on food that people don’t really like. Some foods at schools aren’t very healthy such as pizza, burritos, cookies, and etc. There are some healthy foods such as fruit trays, grain, vegetables, and etc. It’s alright to have food from school, but you shouldn’t all the time unless you really can’t get your own food done at home.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Jae Phan 4 Pd
    This is ridiculous, schools should not regulate what students bring for lunch. It is not the schools decision to deny the children of what their parents want them to eat. Lunch has nothing to do with education in that sense, the only reason schools would use this regulation is to gain more money.

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is unnecessary in my opinion. Schools are getting more and more controlling now. I think that students should have the freedom to eat whatever they want and bring whatever they want to school. If anyone should be watching what a kid eats then it should be their parents. Not the school. Also I agree with the parents that say it is a waste of money. Homemade lunches are cheaper and often times taste much better than school food. This policy has got to go.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Jessica Dove
    5th Period

    I don't agree with this rule at all. People might be really picky and not want any of the food they serve in the cafeteria. Not eating anything at all isn't any better than packing an unhealthy lunch. That food ends up in the trash can, and it could have been given to someone who really needs it because they don't have any. Most of the kids at the school probably sneak food anyways.
    I bring my lunch to school, but that doesn't mean its unhealthy!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Nico Alba
    Period 2
    I think what the school is serving is very unhealthy. I bring my lunch everyday, and the days I forget my lunch, I wonder if I should just not eat. One of the meals they have served is fish. But this fish was square. I have never, ever caught a square fish before. If the cafeteria workers cooked instead of pulling something out of their huge freezer, they would find it would be cheaper and healthier. One problem that would be a lot more work.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Marissa Moss
    5th period


    I've had a strong opinion about school lunches and the need for healthier lunchs for a long time. People have the right to choose what they eat, when they eat, and how much they eat. School/Government officials do not have the right to say that what parents provide there children with, isn't healthy enough. I don't even believe that the government should be able to regulate what schools serve. People can choose what they eat using good judgement all by themselves. And if someone chooses to have a high fat diet, then that is there decision. It is there body and they can do with it what they please.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Saimol Edaparampil
    3rd Period
    I think that this policy has its pros and its cons. Something good is that it can help kids eat more healthier and better. But the bad thing about it is that we don't get our own choice. We won't be able to eat what we want. So, like I said, it can be good and at the same time bad.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Bailey Banks
    6th Period

    This is going way too far. What you eat should be established in the home, schools shouldn't have an input on what parents put in their son or daughters lunch. Buying lunch at school is just like eating out everyday, which becomes sickening. People would also like to spend their money on more important things. The schools should only encourage "healthy eating" if they are tired of seeing the hot chips and cookies, not dictate the lives of others.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Brandon Psencik
    3rd period
    May 1, 2011

    Personally this policy isn’t well thought out. I mean if schools want people to eat the school lunches and not bring there lunches or certain foods then they should carry all types of food. This in long term would be more costly for the school because certain people have allergies and certain religions have beliefs in eating certain animals if any at all. So this is the main reason to abolish this policy. Secondly kids don’t like to have to wait in line in school because they are too long. With more kids buying there lunch they will need to allow longer lunches. In addition to this, school will take longer for this which automatically will make teachers want more money for having to stay at school longer. These policies that the schools are launching are really ignorant and need to be more discussed with staff and parents.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Chris Bready
    period 6

    Kids should be able to eat what they want as long as they know what they are getting in to. A good example is a quote saying "you are what you eat." So if you eat a lot of bad food then you are going to look bad, and vice versa for eating healthy food. The real problem is that kids eat food that is bad for them and they don't play it off. They just stay inside and play video games after they get home from school.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Prerna Kamnani
    4th Period

    I think there are pros and cons to this ban. I think that this ban is promoting wise eating habits. It is only assisting these children for their future. Although the concept of the ban was great, the execution of it leads to problems. Students are picky and do not want to eat healthy. I feel like the students will become rebellious to eating healthy because they are being forced to eat healthy. It will only provoke the students to eat junk food even more. I think bringing home lunches to our school is the wiser thing to do. I bring a sandwich, fruit, and water from home pretty often. I never buy school lunch. Our school lunch serves fries and other unhealthy choices. I do not think it is fair to students and their parents that they are being forced to pay $2.25 every day for school lunch. With the recession these days, families are having a hard time coping with their everyday needs. All together I think this ban should be removed.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Alajuawa Davis
    2nd period

    I don't think that's a very bright idea. I personally don't like the idea. Why does it matter whether the kids bring their own food or not? That doesn't make any sense. I pretty sure the parents will give their children good heathly food and not just a bunch of junk food unless they kids themself make their own food. But I'm sure the pareents will cook them a heathly dinner when they go home.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Jasmyne Amos (3rd Prd)May 1, 2011 at 3:49 PM

    I don't like this policy at all. If a child want to bring a lunch that is bad for them, well I say let them its their choice and their decision and their parents let them. You can't force someone to eat anything they don't want to eat. I do think they should maybe have a campaign or something to encourage the kids to eat healthy and all that good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Travis Crissman
    2nd period

    This sounds like fascism to me. These kids are being controlled by having the school dictate what they can eat and how much. I think this is ridiculous. Why should a kid have to buy the school lunch when they could have a much healthier and better prepared lunch from home? I don’t believe it is the school’s responsibility to make all the choices for a child’s lunch. If the school wants to offer a healthy lunch for students to purchase, that is fine, but those students should also have the option to bring a lunch from home. The fact that so many of these kids are not eating is definitely not good for their performance in school. I also think that these strict rules will only make the students want to rebel and eat more junk food when they aren’t in school.
    There is also the cost for parents. I am sure that it is more expensive for these parents to pay for a school lunch everyday—rather than the option to bring one from home. Another factor to consider is the health issue. I am sure this school does not serve organic products because they cost a lot more. Many parents are trying to limit the chemicals and hormones that their kids are exposed to. I believe the only positive thing about school lunch is convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Emily Panozzo
    4th Period

    This definitely sounds unconstitutional to me. Isn't it a basic right to eat what you want to eat? That seems like a given in my opinion so a ban like this, if it is carried through at all, might reduce the pounds but it will for sure increase the tension between student families and district officials. Besides, the odds of having theses lunches actually improving health in the youngsters seem slim to none as the lunches of school are a common concern in the nation today, even shows are being started for it. The children in the elementary schools will just want to eat more at home from their deprivation of sugar and salt during school hours. The money is the most important factor in this because money should not just be wasted on an unwanted object, especially for picky elementary students.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Nina Tames
    Period 3

    I don't think this new rule is absolutely necessary because even though the government is trying to make kids eat healthier, it's what they want to do and what their parents let them do. If a kid wants to eat junk food, no one can really stop them but their parents. So yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Jr Zolayvar 6th PeriodMay 1, 2011 at 6:28 PM

    Wow, I personally bring my lunch to school everyday and I'm pretty sure that it's healthier than what the school serves. I can only see this move as a positive for the school, because it would make more money on lunch product since everyone would have to buy. School foods at lunch tend to rack up in cost and sometimes my friends would have to pay $7-$10 per day, and that is too much for the food they serve.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Parker Wodskow
    Period 6
    I agree this is a horrible rule. The government is trying to improve our health but eating school food isn't necessary for all. Some kids will bring healthy food on their own. So overall this policy will hopefully help the kids who need to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Instead of buying these unsatisfactory school lunches, students should be able to bring their own lunch.I think kids should have a choice to buy lunch or bring lunch.The school should not worry what the students are eating.If the child is eating unhealthy it is the parents fault so it does not matter.The school does not really care about student health, just getting funding.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Jeffrey Jhingree
    4th period

    I think this policy should not be put into use. Many students who bring their lunches bring healthier foods than what schools are serving in their lunch lines. At the same time many are not. I see many kids bringing McDonalds and Burger King for lunch. I understand that the government sees that the population of young adults is obese, but if they want to limit what students can and can not bring they have to start providing healthier foods in the lunch lines.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Cedric Choi (5th)May 1, 2011 at 6:51 PM

    I think it's a bad idea to ban home brought lunches. Sure there might be some benefit to children's health (provided the lunches are healthy), but some parents on a tight budget may not be able to provide enough for the lunches. Plus there are those who need gluten free substitutes and such, and making sure every kid gets a good lunch is too much of a hassle. Maybe this could be a good thing, but school lunches prove to be too unhealthy right now to be considered a good substitute for home brought lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Joel Jacob Period 4May 1, 2011 at 6:53 PM

    I understand that schools are trying to improve their students health but I believe students should be allowed to eat what they want. They can choose whether they want to be healthy or not. Most school lunches are not cooked well or are not considered healthy. Students have the freedom of choosing what they want to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Stephen Castillo
    4th
    I really believe that this policy is not necessary at all. By prohibiting some lunches brought from home students are forced to pay for their lunches. This can upset, parents or legal guardians, now maybe a better way to express feelings on kids eating healthier would maybe work better with a fun challenge or something.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Grace Bonojo
    4th Period

    This policy honestly is "lame" to quote Yesenia Gutierrez. As a student in elementary school I hated the school lunches and didn't eat it. On one particular day I was actually hungry so I tried the hotdog meal they gave me and drank the chocolate milk. At the end of lunch I wasn't feeling so well so I threw up everything I ate and till this day I can't eat a hot dog without feeling sick to my stomach. Frankly I don’t think this policy would work at Elkins, because as high school student’s we can decide what’s healthy for us and what’s not.
    Elkins school lunch is not healthier than the meal I bring from home every day. I make sure to have things low in sugar and fat and healthy, but still taste good. At Elkins we get the option of things high in sugar and fat such as chips, cookies, slushy, etc. As a elementary school student forced to eat the supposedly healthy food I don’t think it’ll help me make good choices in the future because I’ll always be craving something high in sugar because I was deprived of it for a while. If I was forced to pay for food I don’t want I think I’d just stopping eating and wasting my money.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Charlene Sigua
    Period 4

    I think that this ban isn't a good idea. In my opinion, school lunches aren't that healthy. As many people have said some students are on special diets so they might not be able to eat what the school is offering. I think that student's should be allowed to decide if they want to buy school lunch or bring their own.

    ReplyDelete
  72. 6th period.

    I would have to agree with what other people said about how that the school is serving unhealthy food. Students should have the option to bring food from home or to buy food at their school’s cafeteria. If the school only provides a better choice of food, like fresh fruits and actually cook the main entrĂ©e’s, then the school would be earning more money from students that buy their lunch. But if the students want to bring their own lunch from home, they should have that option to.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Aileen Nguyen
    Period 3

    I read another article about the lunch issue a few weeks ago, and I was shocked. Why would you want to force students to buy school lunches when it's not healthy for them? A number of students don't even like the school food. In additon, what about food allergies? Certain people need/cannot eat certain food, so they should be able to bring their own lunch to school. The fact that these kids are only in elementary school and are exposed to that type of food at lunch does not seem like a good choice for future eating habits. From what I've observed, most of the food looks as if it's been stored for a while, fried, or is covered in grease. I don't really see this ban on bringing homemade lunches benefitting many people.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Ryan Rodriguez
    Period 6

    I think this idea helps in some ways, but it also could hurt some people. It can help the students unless they don't eat it which is what some do according to the article. I wouldn't want this to happen to any school I go to. Eventhough I eat the school's food, I know not everybody likes what the school has. I would blame the school for starving them because they cant eat what they want.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Merin Mathew per.6May 1, 2011 at 7:34 PM

    Merin Mathew
    P.d 6

    I actually eat at school because there is absolutely nothing good to eat at my house. I mean I am not saying the school food is the best but that some kids are not getting all their nutrition from home. But it no reason to ban sack lunches. I think they shouldn't try changing what the kids eat if they won't willing to change cafeteria food. I hope it can impact the students in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Tristan Smith
    4th Period

    I would have to go both ways on this one because I do think that kids should be able to eat what they choose. But I also think the ban could be a good thing because some kids don't eat healthy. In my eyes the school has good intentions because its always about the children's health. If I were in charge of the school would do the exact same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Joe James
    6th Period
    This all means that school bought lunches will be more common and the school will just get richer from this. Also, I'm sure that not every kid brings the healthiest lunches to school, so that's where the parents should help pack a nutritional lunch for their kids. I can see how the ban helps in some ways but I think it just shouldn't be there in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Leah Ware 2nd periodMay 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM

    This is ridiculous. Kids should be able to pick what they eat. I've been bringing my lunch because I couldn't stand eating what they serve in the lunch line. I only ate it because I was too lazy to pack my own lunch. The lunch they served me was nasty and then they make you wait in long lines and pay for it. I pack my own lunch now, and no, its not the healthiest lunch, but that's my choice. I don't think the government needs to be making policies about this stuff. What you eat should be your choice, and if you gain weight, well it's your fault.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Joel Simon 4th periodMay 1, 2011 at 7:58 PM

    This new rule is one of the worst rules I have ever heard of. Parents are responsible for what their kids eat. I think the school policy should be changed to allow kids to eat what they want to. there are many kids who get tired of eating the same healthy food everyday. If kids should eat healthy it is their parents jobs to make them know what there eating and its bad for them. But this policy is understanding cause all their trying to do is make the kids healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Leslie Vazhappilly
    Period 4

    This is not fair to people who like to bring lunches from their homes. I think they should be able to choose to bring their lunch no matter if it is healthy or not. Another problem is that if you have to buy lunch form school, kids will get bored of eating the same thing every day because they don't really have a lot of options to choose from. I think that the kids should decide to eat whatever they want because the parents decide what to give the child when you bring lunch from home.

    ReplyDelete
  81. Aman Gupte
    6th Period

    I think that having kids eat healthy food is a good way to control kids' diet. It is smart to do this from an economic point of view as well. But, from a student's point of view, it is unfair. Why should someone buy something they don't even want? Therefore, I think that this policy can be worked on to create a compromise between the school and it's students.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Leslie Vazhappilly
    Period 4

    This is not fair to people who like to bring lunches from their homes. I think they should be able to choose to bring their lunch no matter if it is healthy or not. Another problem is that if you have to buy lunch form school, kids will get bored of eating the same thing every day because they don't really have a lot of options to choose from. I think that the kids should decide to eat whatever they want because the parents decide what to give the child when you bring lunch from home.

    ReplyDelete
  83. I don’t like this ban idea. I bring lunch every day and I don’t pack things that I know are unhealthy. I think kids should have a choice to buy lunch or bring lunch. Like what other people were saying, some kids are on like special diets for reasons and what if they could not eat what’s served in the lunch line. You can’t control us that much. If the kid wants to eat unhealthy then let them. It’s their choice and their parents. I think personally that the food they serve in the lunch line is not healthy so why do they think it better then food from home.
    Steffie Philip
    Period- 6th

    ReplyDelete
  84. Malcolm Berry
    Period 5

    This is really wrong school lunches are sometimes really disgusting and they shouldn't be able to force it upon children. Some kids are vegetarians and they should have the option on whether what kind of food they want to eat. I know that the school will not have a straight meat menu but sometimes the vegetable options are very limited and if the child does not like the food being served they are forced to go hungry and that isn't right. Parents know what is best for the children and sometimes a parent does not have enough money to pay $2.25 per day for food even if it is their best option. A parent could have recently lost their job or be in the process of finding one and may not be eligible for free or reduced lunch leaving them with no option to feed their children at school. I think that this is a way for the district to make money in a very sneaky and unfair way and the ban will not last.

    ReplyDelete
  85. On this matter ... I think that this plan to serve "healthy food" is a good idea, but if you’re going to serve "healthy Food", you need to make it more appealing to kids, so that they would actually eat it. I can tell from my own experiences from eating at Elkins high school not everything in the lunch line is that great, so I make my own food sometimes and I try not to put too much junk food. Anyways! My point is, let the parents and children decide what they want for lunch.
    James Joseph
    2nd period

    ReplyDelete
  86. This doesn't make any sense I don't bring unhealthy food and most people don't bring unhealthy junkfood. For me all I bring is like a sandwich, water, and maybe an oreo or two. And it's our choices that shape our body not just what we have to eat. Forcing people to eat school lunch is wrong in every way and most people do anyways so why force it on people it's our choice not the government or school district.
    Hamza R.
    3rd Period

    ReplyDelete
  87. Marcus Levine
    4th period

    This is absurd. This "policy" should be turned down and hopefully burned as soon as possible. The students should be able to have their own choice, especially since I bring my lunch everyday... I don't trust that cafeteria stuff. So then why should I have to pay for food that I don't want or like? Bringing my lunch assures me of my options of eating something from my house and knowing that what I am eating is not totally contaminated to cafeteria pesticides swimming in my food. I don't have to pay for it, and everyday I know what I'm eating and where it came from. On top of that, school lunches aren't THAT healthy to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Francescha Rundle
    Period 5

    This ban cannot work. Many kids at Elkins bring their own lunches including me. If our school made us pay and eat the lunch served, I would be mad. I believe that the food served in any school is mostly unhealthy when it comes to saturated fat and perservatives. For me, I bring a simple sandwich and fruits with water. Certain foods in any cafeteria consist of hamburgers or fries which is certainly unhealthy. Also, having students pay for their lunch is ridiculous. Not every person is going to have the money. Also, food served in the cafeteria is one of the proven reasons why child obesity is rising. So yeah, this lunch program is wack in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  89. Troy Pete
    4th period
    I think this is a good/bad idea at the same time. I mean kids should not eat nothing but junk food and just mess over their bodies, but at the same time we do need a little sugar in our bodies because its what we want and like and it keeps us going. This policy is good for kids because I understand how that alot of kids are gaining weight due to sugary food.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Basil raju skaria period 5May 1, 2011 at 9:43 PM

    Kids who plan on cutting weight might benefit from this program, but not all kids need this plan. We do see a lot of fat people around us everyday. Its not all because of the food they eat, also their level of activity plays a crucial role in this situation. Schools are trying to build fit individuals across districts by bringing forth this idea. I do not think at this point of a severe crisis that the education department is facing, foods diets are comparitively important than other major economical issues.

    ReplyDelete