Questions to Consider:
1. You were 4 or 5 years old when 9/11 happened. How do you feel about the death of Osama Bin Laden compared to other people, such as your parents, that have a better memory of the events?
2. What do you remember about the 9/11 attacks?
3. How do you feel about the "celebrations" that are taking place over this death? Do you think this appropriate? Why or why not?
4. Do you think that age is more of a factor in people that are "celebrating" or some other factor?
We celebrated 'the death of my generation's face of terror'
By Noah Gray, Special to CNN
May 2, 2011 3:00 p.m. EDT
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
For college student Noah Gray, it started out as a mundane Sunday night until the big news
Gray: Students headed to White House to celebrate death of "generation's face of terror"
"The generation that grew up in fear of terror ... all had something to say," Gray says
Scene looked more like a pep rally or frat party than anything political, he says
Editor's note: Noah Gray is a freshman at American University
(CNN) -- Like many other college students at 10:15 on a Sunday night, I was cramming for my Monday morning exam as diligently as I could.
Just a few minutes later, however, I heard that there was to be breaking news at the White House. Like any aspiring journalist, I knew that I had to grab my camera and make my way into the mix in front of the White House.
I wasn't the only one. It seemed like the entirety of the American University student body was on the way to Pennsylvania Avenue, and with good reason.
While I was in my friend's rented car jetting toward the South Lawn, President Barack Obama was announcing the death of Osama bin Laden at America's hands. We passed dozens of American University students in cars, cabs, on bikes and on foot all making their way to celebrate the death of my generation's face of terror.
It seemed as though my phone was vibrating every five seconds or so. Indeed, Facebook and Twitter kept me abreast, with thousands of status updates from my generation about the latest breaking news. They were patriotic. They were celebratory. Some were witty. Some were terse. In short, the generation that grew up in fear of terror because of bin Laden all had something to say.
"This is unreal," my friend tweeted. "Being from Manhattan, Osama was the first person I was ever taught to hate. I waited 10 years, but now it's done. Unreal."
Death of bin Laden: Healing begins
We rolled up to the White House with the window down. We could hear roars from even two blocks away. Nobody knew where to park, so we parked on the side of the street and ran through Lafayette Park.
It was unbelievable. The scene looked more like a pep rally or frat party than anything political.
I tried to get reaction from all the students there, and it was incredibly challenging to talk over the roar of the crowd.
Opinion: Savor this moment in the name of the 3,000
An overall jubilant crowd cared more about the death of someone who was the face of terror for our generation rather than any final exams the next day.
As an American, I will never forget the tragic events that occurred on September 11, 2001. As a student in Washington, I will never forget the events that occurred outside the White House on Sunday night.
Monday, May 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
John Gann
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think Osama Bin Laden dying by gunshot is too good of a sentence on a destructive, and evil/sadistic man. This man is responsible for hundreds of thousands of lives, this should not be celebrated but looked upon unto the man who was given an easy break. And the destruction is not over with his death we still have to deal with what he left behind, a job much easier done with the vital information held with in him.
So we finally killed Bin Laden. That's great, absolutely wonderful. Now, can we please move on? I understand that he was a terrible man, and I am glad we finally brought him to justice. But we're taking this a little too far, aren't we? I mean, there were people standing in the streets cheering and screaming like it was a concert, and one woman in a sadistic manner said "I hope we get to see pictures of his lifeless body" and she was absolutely serious. Having an attitude like that almost puts you on a level with Bin Laden. That being said, aren't we celebrating a little too early? Sure, it's a great occasion, but it's far from over. In fact, it's just beginning. As soon as they announced it, I felt that something was fishy about this and that something is going to happen, and soon. After the president's speech, one of the analysts said that "Bin Laden's 2nd in command is more dangerous than Bin Laden himself". In case you didn't know, Bin Laden's 2nd in command is definitely still alive. We need to cut the celebrations and get back to work.
ReplyDeleteJessica Dove
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
Being younger, I don't remember much about 9/11. All I do remember is my mom being really upset. My dad was in New York and he was supposed to be in one of the twin towers doing business. He was pulled out of the meeting, and a lady went in for him. She survived, but it's scary to think that I could have lost my dad that day.
I do think it's right people are happy over his death. He caused so much terror in this world; so many people lost their family members. But I don't think its a cause for a celebration.
Francescha Rundle
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
Since I was only four at the time, I do not have many memories of 9/11. This plays a huge role when it comes to my feelings towards it. When it comes to my mom, she was there one week after it happened because she is a flight attendant. She explains how the scene was not even close to what was seen on television. She told me she still saw the smoke rising from the ashes and the smell of death still lingered. THAT is what you could not see on T.V. For me, I do not remember much of it.Because of this, I do not feel much anger or resentment. The "celebrations" happening are wrong to me. We killed someone. Even though that person killed thousands, we could have arrested him and asked him why he did such things. For me, it gives me chills picturing a man being shot in the head and then celebrating it. We should be relieved, but his death is nothing to celebrate. First, just because Osama bin Laden is dead does not mean Al-Queda is. Now, I am NOT protecting this evil man, no. I am promptly stating that now Al-Queda may just retaliate.
1. Hmmm, the death of Osama Bin Laden. I don't necessarily believe that we know everything here. Even if we were told the absolute truth here, his death affects me in no way. Although we were taught to "hate" him as the most evil person, there are many thousands more like him, there have and always be terrorists. We've just put him as a face to our worries, he must die because he represents our fear, and he must die regardless of what he has done. So my view is quite different from many other peoples.
ReplyDelete2. I remember how shocked my parents were. I remember them calling friends in New York City to see if they were okay. I remember seeing the towers fall, but because I was so young, and I was not there in person, I thought it was cool. I seemed to think it was fiction, not fact. I didn't realize it until the next year when we went on vacation to New York and visited the ruins. I remember a couple weeks later when they had a show on PBS about how the towers fell, and thats what interested me the most.
3. These celebrations are totally inappropriate. No ones death, no matter how evil they were, should be celebrated...PERIOD. Even then what are you celebrating? Really, think about it. All they've done is "kill" someone, Al Qaeda will have another to take his place, it is very likely they will not collapse, just grow with rage, and retaliate. Let me be clear; there is nothing to celebrate about.
4. Age has no factor. People are always looking for an excuse to celebrate. But most people are celebrating be cause they have been taught to hate Bin Laden. "Taught" being the key word.
All in all, Bin Laden will get his paragraph in the history textbooks, but it will not be an accurate one. Why? Because history is written by the victors.
Joseph Asthappan
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
From my memories, I remember my Kindergarten teacher changing channels in search of CNN and witnessing the footage of the second plane colliding into the tower. From those days I had no emotion along with no knowledge of the situation happening. What Osama Bin Laden did made all of America cry for war, but then we also lost on our win from all the deaths of soldiers in the Middle East and civilians from 9/11. We have no need to "celebrate" because we will remember all this every year on September 11.
All I remember from 9/11 that I left early from school really early that morning. I saw people balling and saying something about a building collapsing. Then I knew my dad was supposed to be in a plane coming back from New York City. So we automatically feared for the worst but thankfully they overbooked that plane for my father but I have no idea what happened to the people on the plane.
ReplyDeleteI feel that that every member in which lives in any county that is part of the western world should have a sigh of relief that he dead. Honestly, although I was too young to know exactly what happened that day. I know that from I am currently doing a research project on many events in which he caused. He is a mass murderer on the same lines as Hitler, Tojo, Mussolini and Stalin. Therefore, I am very informed on the actions in which he planned and have the same very views as my parents. This view is a sigh of relief.
I truly don't remember a single thing of the 9/11 attacks, all I remember was in third grade we watched the videos and talked about it for a day. My mom was rejoicing over his death. Don't get me wrong, I think a successful assassination of one of the high ranking terrorists is great, but part of me just doesn't feel right about it. I don’t know what it is though. My parents told me that his plan killed many people and he has successfully done other mass killing plots too. I am glad that things like that are now going to cease but all this celebration doesn't seem fit for the circumstance. I see all these people saying, "Yes, Bin Laden is dead" and "We have finally killed Bin Laden!". However instead of saying that we have assassinated a ruthless killer, how about we rejoice that all the lost lives have no been put to rest and have closure. All the lives lost are at rest now; that's what we should be remembering. Not, that we have killed Osama Bin Laden.
ReplyDeleteAnthony Chenevert
ReplyDelete2nd
During the 911 attach I was only about 5 year so I don't remember much about this day besides it being a tragic day for American. To me Osama's death is great because many innocent lives were lost but to many of they are finally are peace including the people that died. They finally have a since of hope feeling to help them get over their grief. Many people feel this as the beginning of a new entire war that America will have to face once again against Osama's people. We already feel that we have accomplished a lot and since Osama is dead his people will finally become peaceful with us because we have taken out their most powerful force in their country. Now America can finally become at rest with our source of pain, this 911 attack that happen about 10 years ago has made America a stronger and closer family. With Osama dead we are now able to finally be free.
Well, since I was young I really don't remember all the bad things that he has done so when they said that they killed him I never felt anything. People got on me because I didnt really care that he died. This just to show that we have to keep telling people all the things that happen because for the people who were to young we do not get the full effect of this great moment.
ReplyDeleteRoy Glover
Neethu George
ReplyDelete3rd period
I was little when 9/11 happened. But I could remember sitting in front of the T.V. with my family and watching the destruction. I think that it's great that Osama bin Laden is dead because we finally brought justice for those who have lost their love ones. But there are also other members of Al Qaeda still out there. We need to focus on defeating them so no further mayhem happens.
I hate this whole situation. Good job America, you managed to kill a 54 year old man who has been hiding in a hole for years. Not only that, but instead of focusing on the ongoing crises in the Middle East, like Bahrain (which has never gotten as much media attention as it needs). Instead of reporting the number of civilians that died in crossfire in places where troops looked for Bin Laden, you reported the number American soldiers that were injured. So good job America, you successfully ignored all the other ongoing problems in the world, to gloat about how you killed a guy. So I guess we can finally say it America, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
ReplyDeleteP.S. If anyone couldn’t tell, I was being sarcastic. This is terrible. It’s like the old saying, an eye for an eye. This killing makes us no better than our enemy.
Mayur Patel
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
When 9-11 occurred, I turned exactly 4 years old. Unfortunately my birthday is on 9-11, and what he had done is known by everyone in the world today and it will be known by people who will be born. But what the world did on May 1, 2011 was a big mistake because even though it was over people shouldn't be cheering over anyone's death even Osama bin Laden's. He is not the only threat to mankind, there are still many groups like the Taliban and Al Qaeda. Terrorism is not going to end right then and there. Even though he affected my birthday and has done everything wrong, I think that what everybody is doing is wrong.
Ayoub Saber
ReplyDelete4th Period
When I was 4 years old, All I do remember is my parents being upset and mad about what happened in 9/11. Right now you see people celebrating, because Osama Bin Laden is dead, But there is no need to celebrate. Because People are going to look back and remember what happened in 9/11. All I have to say is "Well Done America."
Logan Gloster
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I do not remember anything from the 9/11 day even though I was 5. My mom told me she was home sick that day and picked me up early. Like many others she was worried for the safety of her children and like many others was uncertain about what was to happen. America took revenge and although rightful revenge is not always a good thing, but Osama truly needed to die. He was a monster and the world is better off without him. Hopefully we can get some peace now.
• Wow when I look back on this, I can only remember how young and naive I was and how this should not have ever started. I remember my initial thinking after the attacks was whoa, why hate? I also had nightmares of the hijackers’ faces as they lined up on the screen like wheel of fortune squares. There was always one hijacker that particularly scared me and ever since then I have hid under my covers completely closed like a burrito.
ReplyDelete• Our generation became more cautious and safe. 9/11 created new prejudices and biased ways stirred problems here and there. However, anyone can argue it did help us. There are more security measures now and customs are very tedious on new immigrants.
• When I heard the news I figured YEAH! As I analyzed the news of how they killed him, I thought Congrats to the Navy Seals and all our military men and women. My blood started curdling with excitement, yet sorrow. Justice has been served to the American people, but to think the Pakistani government kept him in hiding, crazy! Supposedly they hid him for three years in a compound so big and in plain sight. And to know they guided us to Afghanistan and lead us other places outside Islamabad, gosh what a shame. Man, I was BALLISTIC.
• When I heard about the celebrations, all I could think of was God Bless America, but no one's death is a party, even though he was a mass murderer. The people celebrating vary in age. Therefore, it is just there opinion.
I was only five when the 9/11 attacks happened, and until the end of elementary school, I had no clue what 9/11 was. I don't remember hearing anything about it when it actually happened. And because I was so young,I don't really have those feelings of anger towards people like Osama. Sure, it upsets me that all the lives were lost that day, but I'm not angry. My parents never really talk about it, but my sister has reminded me. She's 30, and at the time my nephew was only a few months old and she was pregnant of my niece. She always tells me how scared she was when she saw the planes crashing into the twin towers.
ReplyDeleteI don't feel thTat his death is what we should be celebrating. We can all be relieved and celebrate that he can't take the lives of any more people, and that the families of people's lives he has taken know that justice has been served. But we should not be celbrating the fact that we killed a man, no matter what he did in the past.
Tristan Smith
ReplyDelete4th Period
Yeah I have to agree with Chaz I don't remember any from 9/11 either. I think the first time I heard about it was when I was in the fifth grade. Even though he was responsible for all the deaths on that day I still think its uncivilized to celebrate someones death. It would've been better if we would have captured him instead. Although we may have killed Osama Bin Laden that doesn't mean the war is over.
Amita Batra
ReplyDelete3rd Period
Osama bin Laden is one man we've heard of since 9/11. The tragic day was one which neither I, nor any other kid my age can forget. Innocent lives were snatched away and our cherished World Trade Center was cruelly torn down. Behind this terror was Osama bin Laden. This is when the rest of the world opened it's eyes. Naturally, we became less tolerant of Muslim people even though Muslim does not mean terrorist. We become aware of Al Qaeda as various acts of terror spread around the world. Osama bin Laden was accompanied by his group, his pupils. He taught them about jihad and how the holy war was apparently "Allah's will", but nowhere in the Qu'ran did it state anything about making war. Osama bin Laden and other terrorists created that on there own. But bin Laden was only one person a part of this massive group of terrorists. The teachings of terrorism spread and its students grew exponentially. Osama bin Laden was just one of the millions who spread terror. Are we Americans ignorant enough to believe that Osama's death will create world peace or at least an anti-terrorism world? No, bin Laden's death will now lead to retaliation and further acts of terrorism because lurking around the world are hundreds and thousands of other bin Laden's ready to spread terror throughout the world. We should not get too excited bout bin Laden's death. I personally fear a world filled with more hatred and more war because the terrorist groups will be outraged. Therefore I believe we should not celebrate too much and instead, watch out for the future!
Honestly, it doesn't seem like my parents even care about Osama Bin Laden's death. I'm not even sure if they know about it. And my reaction is no different. I understand that his death means many things, but it's not enough to cause celebration in my house.
ReplyDeleteI remember little to nothing about the 9/11 attacks. My memory fails me repeatedly when it comes to recalling my younger ages. Of course, I don't really need to remember the attack when there are so many others to describe it in detail to me.
Celebration over death is understandable but not worthwhile. Sure he caused terror and mayhem to many, but it was not his doing alone. Every leader has subordinates and they still live. Think about it from another country's perspective. If an enemy country assassinated our president and celebrated his death, how would we react?
There are many factors that cause the older generation to react differently. Age could very well be one of them.
Daniel Thai
Period 5
I want to add to my previous statement right now because I forgot to talk about the media's reaction, besides giving this story to much air time. I have read some of the titles to these stories from multiple sources like USA Today or other, and I must say that they are very mean. I mean, he did kill thousands, but he doesn't deserve to have his grave danced on. I saw on my local news this morning that they had interviewed people in a diner about it,and they were rude and just jerks. And I think this is projected as a huge win for us win it just isn't. Think about, Bin Laden was just on member of Al-Qaeda, the bigger radical group. One man they interviewed on the news thought this might end our conflict in the Middle East and fix our economy. Sorry, but that just won't happen. They also showed Facebook comments that were on the page. People said things like "ding, dong the witch is dead." I don't support what Osama did, but no person deserves this kind of disgrace. Oh, and I would like to correct myself. After doing further research, I learned that he was living in a small mansion for the last few years, not0 in a hole. But that doesn't mean he was sitting around with Al-Qaeda, smoking cigars and planning their next attack. Maybe he was tired of terrorizing people, or just regretted his decisions. Doesn't everyone deserve a second chance, or is that only for us Americans?
ReplyDeleteDylan Allotta
ReplyDelete4th Period
I believe firmly that it is completely wrong to be celebrating his death the way we are. Revenge is a terrible feeling that for a lot of people is an unavoidable satisfaction they get from knowing the person who masterminded the death of their family members has been killed. I will admit, I was happy to hear that bin Laden was finally brought to justice. Not for the minuscule satisfaction of revenge, but for the assurance that his rain of terrorism is ended against our people and our country and others. As a five year old, watching these events on a 10 inch color TV in a play room, as the adults flooded through towering over me to see what was going on, the significance of the event seemed sad, but not so uncommon. We ourselves seem to forget we are fighting (or at the time) a war with this country. For it only being the second time ever in the history of men, that our home country was invaded and attacked, it was a huge deal to us. But if we think back to what we have done to other countries, the attack on the twin towers is dwarfed. The most obvious and terrible act I believe our country has committed, was annihilating a country with the use of experimental weapons, the Atomic Bomb. If we saw this attack as devastating, imagine the feelings which Japan experienced after encountering a much greater damages and number of casualties. Just think how America would feel if our country was bombed twice in two major cities with atomic bombs. It would be devastating. Also, can you think of another war, that the entire 50 states of America fought on our soil? Then, can you think of another war that was fought on the soil of other countries? Exactly. By no means am I in any way justifying the actions committed by those who have attacked our country, I would just like to make the point that we, America, have done the same things to other countries. And no matter how much we try and justify our actions, it all boils down to revenge. And if a poll had been taken in America, at the moment of bin Laden's death for the reason why America invaded his house to kill him, majority would reply revenge in this word or others. And as I stated before, revenge is a terrible feeling which only multiplies to the circle of violence which, in the end, will destroy humanity itself.
Living in Georgia and being so young, I remember nothing at all about 9/11. But as I got older and 9/11 came around are we remembered the ones who'd lost their lives to the terrible falling of the Twin Towers I began to get a sense of what had occurred. Personally, I was shocked by the news of Bin Laden being killed; it was broadcasted all over my twitter, I wasn't sure what to believe. Then, I looked at President Obama's twitter and indeed he said he would be making a speech about the situation. At 10:30 more than 2million Americans tuned in to the news to view the speech. I couldn't believe it. Finally, he'd been caught and killed. I think the acts of Americans are not too far but in fact rejoiceful. For more than 10 years we've been left with the sorrow and sadness of the event and now the man behind it is dead. That calls for celebration.
ReplyDeleteKiah R.
3Period
3rd period
ReplyDeleteI myself wasn't old enough to remeber the 9/11 attacks but no one who witnessed it ever forgot. I do remember being at an Astors baseball game when they announced that there was someone sitting as a guest of honor as he had been one of those lucky enough to escape the world trade center before it was brought down. I also remember how everyone cheered for him and many people were waving American flags. Just having witnessed this, I believe we have all rights to celebrate the death of Bin Laden and that the thousands of people were killed in 9/11 have finally seen justice done to the man behind it all.
Kaitlyn Trei
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
When the planes hit the Twin Towers on September 11,2001, I remember I was in elementary school and almost everyone was picked up from their classrooms by their parents because they were nervous about what had just happened in New York. I was watching it on my T.V. with my family. I was obviously confused at the time because I was only like five at the time. All I really remember was looking up at the T.V. seeing two buildings in smokes and witnesses being interviewed. It didn't really pay much attention about it until I was old enough to understand. I think that just shooting him down isn't going to solve a thing. Killing one person isn't going to stop the terrorism. Bin Laden had hundreds of people following him and believing in him. What were they thinking when they found out that their leader has been shot and is now dead? Its just going to make them more mad and cause more problems. I don't think at all that they should of killed him like that, I think that they should of taken him and asked him questions on his opinion on why he wanted to do all of this. And in the process of killing him, they had to kill a woman that he was guarding himself behind. I do not think that it was right to celebrate over this. I mean, it was a VERY bad thing, what he did, but we can't solve anything fighting violence with violence. Age definitely plays a part in who celebrates for his death. If someone was, lets say, 30 at the time it happened, that person would have more knowledge on the situation and would remember what happened on 9/11 opposed to kids like us who were four or five when it happened. We weren't old enough to understand how much pain this caused for all of the people in the United States. I know that we should all be happy that Osama Bin Laden is dead but most likely, in a few years someone else will take his place and this could start all over again.
Honestly, I do not approve of the way this guy was killed and buried. He was responsible for 1000s of deaths. He should have a)been burned at the stake or b)bled to death. Something horribly painful for such a mass murderer
ReplyDeleteJoseph Anderson
3rd period
I was 4 years old when the twin-towers were hit by that plane, and all I could remember was the pain and suffering that the people in New York were going through during that attack. I saw my parents with their terrified faces watching the news and just looking at the crying and scared people that were at the "front of the action."
ReplyDelete1) I think the death of Osama Bin Laden was a huge accomplishment for our country and it sort of takes some weight of our shoulders as well. I think that even though my parents new more about him because they were around longer they don't have the same reactions as I did, yes they were happy for the death of such a villian to this country, but not as excited as I was. I don't know why that is, but I think it's because they are more mature than us and I mean I didn't expect them to throw a party or anything, but I guess as long as thy are happy it's okay.
2) I remember that I was coming home from school and I was only 4 at the time too, my mom and dad were at home and they had a sort of scared expression on their faces, and when I asked them what was wrong they pointed at the tv. I saw for the first time the real face of fear I saw many people running in terror, and all I could see was a bunch of trash and other items that were just crashing down to the ground as well. They showed what had happend and all I did was keep replaying the seen to see why and how they did this.
3) I think that this celebration is necessary and unnecessary as well. It's okay to celebrate to an extent I mean one of the greatest threats to the United States is gone and that is something to celebrate about, but he is not the only threat, as Mayur said there is also the Taliban and Al Qaeda, they are also threats to human life as well.
4) I think age has some factors to do with celebration I mean you don't see a 3 year old kid screaming Bin Laden is dead and partying. Do you?
Jenny Chang
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I was only six years old when the 9/11 attack happened. I remember watching it on the news, and just how terrible it was for the victims. I admit that it did not concern me very much because I did not understand much of the consequences. As I grow older, I learn more about threats from terrorists. Recently, when the news about Osama Bin Laden's death reached me, I only feel a great relief but no exhilaration.
Tyler Morris
ReplyDelete4th period
Osama Bin Laden, the very man who tried to tear America apart at its seams. I remember that day even though I was so young. My uncle was working in Manhattan at the time and we could not get ahold of him, when we finally did, he had no idea what was happening. We told him to turn on the TV and stay put. Osama was a horrible man who killed more people than i wish to count. He is the man who haunted our worst nightmares. Now, HE IS GONE! He was the face of terrorism in a time when it boomed. His face and his alone became a symbol of all evil and woe in our world. His death marks the beginning of the end to terrorism.
It may seem a bit odd but to some extent I am happy that Bin Laden tried to scar America, not that he blew up the twin towers, but that he scarred us. I have never seen Americans more strong and together than post 9/11. It backfired on him, he wanted us to fall apart, and we only got stronger. He wanted us to cower back in fear, so we launched an attack against terrorism. All his efforts to bring us down only made us stronger. Now he is dead and can hurt us no more! He is now gone from our nightmares. We are cleaning up. So in response to Myles I think that this day is definitely a day to be celebrated vigorously. Another day that we shall forever remember as young Americans.
Period 5
ReplyDeleteHonestly, all this made me laugh a little, and I'm going to be a little less... restraint with my words.
First of all, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to celebrate someone's death. Death is never a good thing, so why should we celebrate it? Doesn't the Bible teach us to forgive and forget? Why should we take revenge to such an extent that we will kill AND celebrate?
Second of all, why are these people even celebrating? Osama's death has NOTHING to do with their lives. Is Osama's death going to give everybody a hundred dollars? No. is Osama's death going to give everybody super powers? No. Is Osama's death going to cure breast cancer? NO! So many people are "having a blast" just because they've been told to. I'm not sure about everybody else here, but I don't always trust what the media says. People are celebrating just because they've been taught to, while they don't even know the real reason behind it.
I may have been a bit colloquial in my words, but that's really how I feel and I don't know any other way to express it.
I'm glad that the U.S. has gotten rid of a man who has performed such cruel acts upon people. But honestly, the celebration of this death is very indignant, as it will only provoke more extremists to come and take his place, and we start all over again. I remember the news on 9/11 but I didn't understand the full scope of it. Now looking back, it was a very tragic moment for the U.S. But the way it has affected everyone's perception of Middle-Eastern Americans is just sad. But either way, I think te partying over the death of an extremist leader is fine, but the U.S. has taken the immaturity level to a new field. Youth might have a little importance, but I've posts of people of all ages celebrating in ridiculous ways.
ReplyDeleteRhea Cruse
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I do remember my mom's face when we got the news about the 9/11 attacks and how people were totally shocked and distraught about the whole situation. I also remember ex-president George Bush coming on TV and speaking on the matter. Osama Bin Laden's dead now so what? I believe it's never ok to celebrate the death of somebody in the way that people have, no matter how much damage they've done nor how evil they are from a religious point of view. Maybe we should forgive instead of celebrating.
I barely remember anything from 9/11. However, I don't think we should be celebrating Osama's death. Yes he was cruel and sadistic, but he's not the only one that's like that. There are still other members of the Al Qaeda that can do just as much as harm to us. We should be happy that Osama is dead, but we should now be working harder to eliminate terrorism as a whole.
ReplyDeleteTo be completely honest I didn't know what 9/11 was until 3rd grade. However, the damage done by this man was truly tragic and I bet many families are still crying of utter happiness. Attacks like the one on 9/11 ruin lives that everyone has to deal with. I'm glad this man was finally killed after killing so many innocent people.
ReplyDeleteBeing 4 years old at the time I remember the only concern I had on the day of 9/11 was how to celebrate my birthday (which was the next day), what presents I was going to get, and how to spell the word "alphabet". I remember nothing of people dying and buildings crashing. I know we as American citizens should be sad and passionate about 9/11, but being 4-5 year olds I doubt we understood the agony that most older people went through when they first heard about Al Qaeda's attack. As a matter of fact, the kids that were babies and toddlers back then are STILL not as sad as the adults who were affected by the attack. Some people, like Daniel said, don't even know what all of this celebration is. Yeah, we know Bin Laden died, but there are still hundreds, maybe thousands, of terrorists out there. The world is still not safe, and the death of Bin Laden doesn't make a difference to the safety of our people. Even though Obama said "Justice has been done", through my point of view, justice cannot be done unless the world isn't in any kind of war and there is no such thing as a terrorist.
ReplyDeleteGrowing up as a child and constantly learning about 9/11 more and more each year, for I was too young to remember, you start to have a feel for the truly tragic event. It affected so many families and our emotional state as a country. But who knew 10 years later Osama Bin Laden would be dead, for the night that it was announced on the news there was cheering and happiness everywhere! In my perspective he was a abhorrent person, the worst terrorist out there to me and for him to be killed by our troops is an exhilarating feeling, he can't America now. Though through all the mix of this I personally don't think Obama had an right to take credit for the death of Osama when he was constantly pushing for the troops to go out of war.
ReplyDelete1. My first reaction to Bin Laden's death was "why is this all over my twitter? If he's dead, he's dead". Later on that day I talked to my mom about it and her response was so different. She said "Danielle you have to think, we've killed someone's leader and they could retaliate". I never thought of it like that but it's true.
ReplyDelete2. Honestly, I don't remember much about 9/11 except alot of people died in New York and some important towers were knocked over.
3. I think these "celebrations" are inappropriate, but understandable. If someone was to kill someone such as President Barack Obama, God forbid, we wouldn't want people throwing parties, but then again Obama is not a terrorist!
4. I don't think age is a major factor in the celebrating of his death. I think it's about pride and how much one cares.
Chris Bready
ReplyDeleteperiod 6
Being 5 years old I don't even remember the actual details of this happening. I only remember the twin towers got crashed into and that a lot of people were injured and dead. However visiting the site a few summers ago reminds me about how remarkable this is. I feel like the people who were affected by this should celebrate his death but the people who didn't really know what happened shouldn't. I do think that age is a big factor in this case.
Jay Shah 6th Period
ReplyDeleteAlright, I think everyone is just making s larger deal of this than it really is. I think it is a huge deal, but will it ever outweigh what he did. Everyone remembers 9/11. In Elementary School, the kids do projects about it, talk about it, learn about it. It always gives me the chills when I think about it, considering the fact my family and I were going to New York that following weekend. We lived in New Jersey at the time, so we were close. But are we ever going to have the same feelings about Sunday? Is there going to be a 5/1? I don't think so. People are just happy for a while, but it can never overshadow the events that happened. Yes, I think the celebrations are appropriate, especially for people who lost loved ones. I didn't so I don't feel the same way, but I know that one man's death will not cover up for the thousands that died that day. Even if he is Osama Bin Laden, the face of evil.
-Jerry George
ReplyDelete3rd Period
Practically, all I remember from the day the Twin Towers fell was that I could not watch my TV shows because my dad occupied the set with the channel set to Channel 13. The news kept replaying the entire video of the Towers falling and generating a dense cloud of debris, which was quite amazing for me to behold. I had never see that much destruction ever happen from just an airplane collision, which made me suspicious of what really went on in the towers as well as striking fear into my heart. Of course, my parents and relatives took this more seriously and I remember my own brother who was in 5th grade retelling how his class kept looking at their television set to CNN. He was in awe, he told me, at the sight of the devastation caused solely by two planes that were just Boeing 767's. He could only imagine more chaos like this to occur later on, and he too feared going on an airplane again.
Anyway, the news that Bin Laden was shot came to me a bit late than everyone else. Surprisingly, I found out the news just from a YouTube video where a person commented saying "Osama Bin Laden was the ultimate camper (a gaming term) who had 5,000 kills and 1 death." At first I was confused by the statement, but once I checked on the Google link for "News," there happened to be many articles stating "Osama Bin Laden is dead." I was literally amused by the pun, but my parents and brother felt quite shocked by the fact that Bin Laden was killed once they heard from World News on ABC. The Twin Towers catastrophe was never really a major issue to me, and hence I was the only one laughing at the memory of the pun that came up in my head while my family discussed the death of Bin Laden.
After two days, more articles and videos kept popping up online that I checked and found quite interesting. There were people screaming in joy, people chanting "USA" at a Phillies versus the Mets baseball game, and so many other reactions to the death of this one man. Yet, I was still the one who was not too appealed by Bin Laden's death compared to the various other people I saw doing joyous acts of victory, who were typically older. Maybe this is because I was just a young, forgetful child compared to the likes of those who had better memory of the catastrophe, and were willing to have only one man be the blame for this tragic event. But, most likely I think it is because I find these acts of celebration pointless, just like Nick, Josh, and everyone else. I still see that there are still more extremists plotting to do more harm to various nations. If those who have suffered much due to Bin Laden's plot (though most likely Bin Laden was not involved with it) seek to get vengeance for what happened, then I cannot blame them for feeling 'happy' at the news of this 'evil' man's death. But, if I have to see another terrorist plot within my lifetime, then I will be enraged that another person was able to do terrorist plot even when the "face of terrorism" was killed.
I was only in kinder garden or the first grade. Honestly, I did not know about 9/11 until I was much older, like middle school age. Now, I have researched and asked questions and I am extremely sad for what people had to go through. I have thought, I could have easily been one of the kids on a field trip in the twin towers, or one of the few young children on any of the air crafts. I think that the celebration of Osama's death is a big deal and should rightly be celebrated, but we must not lose the lesson, and put our guard down because not there are millions of terrorist who are super mad we killed Osama, and we need to up security and celebrate a little more in our heads.
ReplyDeleteKatie Snyder period 2
I was only a dozen or two miles from ground zero the day that this went down. But being 5 years old I don't even remember the actual details of this happening. The only thing I remember is that the twin towers got crashed into and that a lot of people were injured and dead. I feel like the people who were affected by this should celebrate his death. But then again celebrating a man’s death is disrespectful; its almost as if dancing on one’s grave. I, being raised not to disrespect anyone, will not celebrate his death, but that doesn’t mean I will mourn it either. His death was not very significant, if you ask me.
ReplyDeleteAjeet Baath
ReplyDelete6th pd
Although I don’t remember much about the 9/11 attacks, I believe that this death should not be celebrated as much as it is now. What most people in America don’t understand is the manipulation through media and other social groups is causing everyone to have the wrong perception of a situation. This is not to say that Bin Laden’s death is a bad thing, it is good, but the death of the current Al Qaeda leader does not mean the end of the terrorist group. They will simply choose a successor to Bin Laden, who may or may not have even more brutal methods of justice, and take revenge on America for their leader’s death. Osama Bin Laden’s death only means more trouble for us; this is not to be celebrated.
Esteban Palacios
ReplyDelete6th period
With Osama Bin Laden gone maybe we will have peace, but I doubt it. I mean I agree people should breathe a sigh of relief, but celebrating and making t-shirts is wrong. He may have been a murderer and a sick psychopath but he was still a man. Not to mention all the people who died trying to bring him down, and all the civilians he killed. But the fact that we (the United States of America) killed him doesn’t mean the end of terrorism or of his crazy band that want to destroy this magnificent country.
I vaguely remember the events of 9/11. I clearly remember seeing my dad watching T.V. at 7 or 8 in the morning, but I rushed off to school before I found out what he was watching. In my third grade class, my teacher informed us of what was happening and we said a prayer for all involved. The magnitude of it all did not hit me for a few years. I don't blame anyone for celebrating. To hear that the man who caused it all is dead is a somewhat pleasant surprise, not because I hated the man, but what it means for America in Afghanistan. Hopefully we can pull out pretty soon.
ReplyDeleteBeing that I was only in Kindergarten when 9/11 happened, I don’t remember much, all I remember is all the students in my class getting picked up early from school, and then me getting picked up early. I wasn’t really old enough to understand what was happening, I remember watching the towers fall on TV, it was like a movie to me. I honestly think that no one should be celebrating the death of Osama Bin Laden, yes, he was the man who was responsible for hundreds of thousands of people’s lives, yes, he had been hiding from the United States for years, and we, the United States, finally found him, and killed him. We killed him, he was the one that killed so many people on 9/11, and now we killed him, does that really make us that much better than him, no. We are both murderers.
ReplyDeleteTyler Morris
ReplyDelete4th period
Osama Bin Laden, the very man who tried to tear America apart at its seams. I remember that day even though I was so young. My uncle was working in Manhattan at the time and we could not get ahold of him, when we finally did, he had no idea what was happening. We told him to turn on the TV and stay put. Osama was a horrible man who killed more people than I wish to count. He is the man who haunted our worst nightmares. Now, HE IS GONE! He was the face of terrorism in a time when it boomed. His face and his alone became a symbol of all evil and woe in our world. His death marks the beginning of the end to terrorism.
It may seem a bit odd but to some extent I am happy that Bin Laden tried to scar America, not that he blew up the twin towers, but that he scarred us. I have never seen Americans more strong and together than post 9/11. It backfired on him, he wanted us to fall apart, and we only got stronger. He wanted us to cower back in fear, so we launched an attack against terrorism. All his efforts to bring us down only made us stronger. Now he is dead and can hurt us no more! He is now gone from our nightmares. We are cleaning up. So in response to Myles I think that this day is definitely a day to be celebrated vigorously. Another day that we shall forever remember as young Americans.
Amber Tunstall
ReplyDelete4th
Personally, all this business with Bin Laden has been really testing my nerves. I know it's a "big event" in American history, but I think it's quite senseless and unnecessary. Everyone acts as though by killing Bin Laden, they have avenged all the lives lost at 9/11, but that's just not true. One life can not equal another, or as the saying goes "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind". Thinking that we can kill to make up for the lives taken is just what starts or even elongates wars. It's meaningless. And it greatly disturbs me that tons of people are asking me to watch videos of Bin Laden's death. I think that is extremely rude and offensive, and it almost gives me a panic attack. It may sound like I hate America or something stupid like that, but I really dislike the fuss people are making over this.
Carolyne Lu
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
Because I was so little when 9/11 happened, I honestly only remembered that I was at school and everyone got to watch the TV to see what was going on. I feel everyone has the right to be RELIEVED, but celebration is just not the right word. I don't think the people CELEBRATING are really thinking about what they're doing. I understand they're happy our #1 enemy has been killed but no matter, it's disrespectful to celebrate over someone's death. I do think there is a correlation between the celebrating and age groups because the older people who actually experienced 9/11 and lost loved ones really cherish this time whereas the teens and younger people just saw Bin Laden as a "bad guy" and didn't really understand the hurt the victims' families were going through.
Alvin Mei
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I can barely remember 9/11 coming on the news, but I do remember it. I was a little baby back then, so the death of Osama Bin Laden is not so special to me. My parents were shocked, but relieved that Bin Laden had died. No I do not think that age affects which age groups are celebrating the death of Bin Laden, because anyone can go explore the terrifying things that Bin Laden and develop hatred upon this man. Osama's death is a tragedy to his people, but I do not think that celebrating is appropriate, It is okay to be happy for one day and let it go, but it's immature to hold on to that excitement for days and days. Everybody needs to clam down, because there are a lot more issues in the world that can threaten the United States more than Osama Bin Laden could ever do.
Andremarie Jean
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I don't want to seem not patriotic or anything but honestly his death does not affect me in any way. I do have sympathy for those who were affected by 9/11, but honestly I can't even remember what happened. And honestly this celebrating is unnecessary any death of any person should not be celebrated over at all. That just sounds inhuman. Also age I think is a really big factor, because I don't think if you were an adult you would be celebrating. You would probably be thinking of all the pros and cons of what just happened.
To be honest, I was happy when I heard the news that Bin Laden had been killed because justice had been brought. But then again, it was just that moment and I wasn't really affected by it. The only reason that I keep thinking about it is because it has constantly been the topic of discussion on the news for the past couple of days. I definitely think that age plays a major role in whether people are celebrating. I am not celebrating for two reasons. The first reason is that when it happened, I was only four years old. I don't even remember seeing it on the news when it was happening, and when I finally did see it, I could not grasp the full magnitude of what was happening because I was so young. The second reason is because I had no family members or relatives that were affected. This may sound harsh, but it is the truth. When I grew up to know the full meaning of 9/11 and how many casualties there were, I was definitely shocked and angered. But most people would agree that if they didn't have a family member affected by 9/11, it didn't have a lasting effect on them. My only question now though, is what happens next. We have taken a step in killing a major threat and powerful leader, but Bin Laden is not terrorism. There are still other terrorist groups out there. We can celebrate for now the moment, but we must know when to stop and make sure we continue to keep the freedom of this country safe.
ReplyDeleteMelvin Valimattathil
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I don't remember anything about the 9/11 or how my parents reacted, but I do think that Osama deserved to be shot. Not just because he was a terrorist but also because he killed many americans. I believe it is not the time to celebrate because there are still others who are still alive. We can only celebrate after we stop Al Qaeda entirely. I don't think that age is really a factor in celebrations. People who have been affected in this incident celebrated and kids have celebrated over the killing of Osama. In the end, I hope we can get our soldiers back to America.
Joshua Okanlawon
ReplyDelete6th Period
When we first heard of what happened on 9/11, I remember me and my family cleaning the garage at that point and the face that my mother had on was a face of sadness and at the same time being tense. To me Osama Bin Laden being dead is a relief and at the same time sad that so many people are rejoicing over a human beings death. Even though so many people died of off his evil tactics, it doesn’t mean we should be throwing parties over a dead man. Still, now we know that justice is served.
Shelby Leigh Hendon
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I remember the day that the towers were attacked, like it was yesterday. I was 5 years old, and it was 8 days before my 6th birthday. I remember seeing it on the news, on my grandparent’s television. I didn't understand what was going on, but I remember my mommy crying, and my grandpa looked really worried. We have an uncle that lived around Manhattan, and they we're so scared. I didn't understand. I thought they were just watching a movie, because I saw smoke everywhere, and fire everywhere. And fire trucks and police cars. I thought it was all fiction.
But now, I'm old enough to understand everything I saw that day. I understand that there were thousands of people, United States citizens, policemen, and fire men, that we're killed on that dreadful day. I realize that what I thought was a movie, is actually our reality.
Now, 10 years later, Osama Bin Laden is dead. It was all over the news and it still is! And it probably will be for a while. I understand that there is sort of a reason to celebrate, but I think we need to do it the proper way. I mean, personally, I think it’s wrong for ANYONE to celebrate the death of another HUMAN. I mean, he was a terrible man, who did terrible things, to many people, and caused loss and suffering for thousands of families. I think that this gives the families involved, a sense of relief and closure. But for me, personally, I didn’t really feel that sense of relief, because it didn’t affect me closely, like it did a lot of other people. The death of Osama Bin Laden, should give us ALL a sense of American pride. We should be proud of our country. We’ve finally done what we’ve been working for 10 years. But I think we need to get over it. I don’t think that we should be celebrating. Pride, yes. Celebrate the death of someone? Never. We should breathe a sigh of relief, but I’ve seen t-shirts, buttons, and various paraphernalia celebrating Bin Laden’s death, and that’s just too much. It’s totally inappropriate. Instead of wearing shirts celebrating somebody’s death, we should just raise our American flag high, sing our national anthem, and instead of celebrating his death, we should have pride, because of the fact, that so many families are getting closure, and we should just be proud to be Americans. It’s times like this, when we all feel a sense of pride for our country, and you should be able to express that, but not have so much to celebrate about.
Jade Martin
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
To hear that Osama Bin Laden was dead was kind of a shock to me. It seemed to me that alot of people had kind of lost hope in finding him and so they put it in the back of their minds. Then when people heard he was dead, not everyone even believed it. Alot of suspicion went around that he wasn't really dead including my parents but I believe he is dead.
I don't want to seem not patriotic or anything but honestly his death does not affect me in any way. I do have sympathy for those who were affected by 9/11, but honestly I can't even remember what happened. And honestly this celebrating is unnecessary any death of any person should not be celebrated over at all. That just sounds inhuman. Also age I think is a really big factor, because I don't think if you were an adult you would be celebrating. You would probably be thinking of all the pros and cons of what just happened.
ReplyDeleteSteffie Philip
Period- 6th
Saimol Edaparampi
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I don't really remember what had happened on 9/11 but a lot of lives were lost because of Osama bin Laden. I am happy that he is dead, but he is just one person and there are many terrorists still out there ready to attack whenever. Although bin Laden's death is something that everyone is happy aboout, I, personally, think that no one's death should be celebrated no matter how bad they were. There are more terrorists that are still out there that we need to try to stop. What we really need to be focused about is trying to protect ourselves and watch out for the future because bin Laden's death could lead terrorist groups to start attacking more and planning about attacking many places , especially the U.S. since we killed Osama.
Samantha Twardowski
ReplyDelete3rd Period
When 9/11 happened, I remember that I was in school when it happened and my mom was so worried that she came to my school and picked me up. I obviously did not know what was going on except for the fact that the twin towers fell but I know that when Bin Laden died, we felt totally different about it. Even though that I was still very happy that he died, my mother felt as if we were going to be more safe now than we ever have. I believe that it is okay for people to celebrate, but only to a certain level. If people continue to celebrate this much, there might be another issue with people in other countries getting angry with the fact of how much people are celebrating.
I think that because I was so young, I don't feel the same way that those who were older do about 9/11. It was a tragic event and should never have happened as it killed hundreds of people, but I think celebrating as if it was a "pep rally" is bringing us to the level of Bin Laden. The death of someone should not be celebrated as if someone just got their favorite toy. If they really cared about what happened at 9/11 they would be quietly remembering those who had their lives taken away in an instant by a cruel twist of fate.
ReplyDelete-Ryan Haines
Emily Panozzo
ReplyDelete4th Period
I would like to start off saying that all U.S. citizens were affected by the 911 attack but I have a very high respect and consideration for those whose family and friends were harmed in the demolition. They are ones to be recognized every day in this country. As bad as I feel saying this, I don't know if I had truly felt any sort of pain the day or even the week of the attack. It lacks no importance to me now of course but at such a young age no adult was going to describe what had just happened. It's not healthy for a kid to know that kind of information therefore it was something I knew about but never lingered on until I was old enough to thoroughly hear about it. I can't imagine what the adults around me were thinking. They can imagine what future problems can arise and what sort of evil people are behind that kind of plot which is too frightful for many to imagine. I believe that it is never okay to celebrate a death no matter how even the person. But, I think it is very reasonable to celebrate peace of mind and to celebrate the proper punishment in exchange for all of one's pain. America's celebration is simply for being justified. God bless America and those who try to mess with us.
I think is life should be celebrated for the time being because he was the cause of hundreds of lives and got an easy break by just being shot. we should be happy but not stop there because there is still the Al Queda with out Bin Laden. It's a step in the right direction but needs to be followed up.
ReplyDeleteLillian Cancino
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think that this news was something important that happened to us since 9/11. I also think that people need to learn to let it go. This is not something that I would think about celebrating, because as a human being, no persons death should be celebrated. I have a big heart, and because of it I am willing to forget the most tragic things. This does not mean that I justify what this terrible man did, but we should also think about what is going to happen next. We should be in fear for our country because there are many other people who might revenge Bin Laden's death. We have to think about what other problems it will bring to the United States. As an american who is not as patriotic as others, I would never celebrate not even Bin Ladens death.
Jae Phan 4 Period
ReplyDeleteI am grateful that Ben La-din has died, but I am worried that his death might provoke new terrorists to rally and reign more terror. I had an aunt that lived next to the twin towers during 9/11, honestly I don't think that people who did not have their family affected from 9/11 does not really understand the pain and suffering it caused. To most kids my age, 9/11 is like an action scene in a movie that everyone talks about.
Kyne Onyenze
ReplyDelete3rd Period
Well after many years and many innocent lives that were lost, Osama is finally dead. I remember that I was in kindergarten and we were sent home early. When I think about, I remember watching the towers come down on the news. One of my closest friends lost their father and I remember her crying on that day…every year. I am glad to know that he has been killed. He caused many troubles, not just to America but even to the innocent people around him. However, I’m not that excited that I’d go celebrate. You have to remember that even though America got him, there’s still people that are his followers that are still roaming around for all we know. I don’t think its appropriate for all these celebrations to take place because we have to think about the future. Al Qaeda members are still out there and they may retaliate when they see all this celebration. Of course, age plays a huge factor in the celebrating. Almost everyone in our generation knows about his attacks or has been affected by his terrors in one way or another, so anyone our age and older will never forget this, so these people are mainly the ones celebrating.
Mariah Cooper
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
When September 11th occurred I was four, so I have no clue how everybody was reacting that day. I believe the attack was tragedy, and nobody deserved to lose their life. I think Osama’s death will make many people in the United States feel safer. The celebrations that are taking place don’t bother me, and I think after years of this horrible person being free it’s appropriate for people to be happy. I, personally, wasn’t affected by his death, but I’m sure if I lost a loved one because of him, I would be acting the same way.
Since early childhood I have been taugh that Bin Laden is an ominous man. Just like the other Americans, I too wanted him dead. He has certainly done many evil things to both us and his own natives, but I am sure several hundreds in Afghanistan and Pakistan are still shedding tears in the cause of his demise. What he did to the world was rightly justified to his own heart. If he took all this pain and sufferings for something, he must have been a dedicated man. Thinking from a different prospective, I feel like I do experience an amount of grief for the loss of such a brave man. Laden once expressed his words through a local newspaper saying, " One must not only be wise enough to be a king but also be brave enough to be a warrior." These were one of the most motivational words the Pakistani crowd had heard in the past few decades.. I still believe young leaders of this sort will arise in no time to uphold the ever remembered past of Osama Bin Laden.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I don't remember much about 9/11. I just remember seeing my parents come home from work, horrified. I didn't really understand what was going on at the time, but I knew that it was bad, and that it was caused by terrorists. I later learned about Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda, and how they were responsible for the attack. After 9/11 I personally never really thought about bin Laden, at times I even forgot his name. But I doubt older people and people who lost people because of him could forget about him; he made much more of an impact on their lives than mine. So his death probably meant more to them, but celebrating it is not appropriate. Yes he was a horrible man, and yes he caused countless deaths, but will celebrating his death really do us any good? We should be happy that we no longer have to live in fear but I feel like we shouldn't take it to the extreme.
ReplyDeleteAileen Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
Since I was only 5 at the time of the attack, I do not remember much about 9/11. When I heard about the death of Osama Bin Laden, I had to think for a while who he was. My reaction, then, was neither a positive nor a negative one. I just went back to completing whatever I was doing at the time. I knew that he destroyed the Twin Towers and robbed thousands of people of their lives, but since it did not have a large impact on me when I was younger, I did not know how else to react.
The only thing I remember about 9/11 was being dropped off at school by my mom and proceeding with the day. There were teachers in the hallway talking about the tragedy, but I had no idea what was going on. I probably would have ended up watching the news during school, but since the school did not provide all classes with a TV, we continued with our work. I also slightly remember my parents watching the news at home. My mom was scared, and my father had nothing but negative thoughts running through his mind.
I don't find the celebrations appropriate. In fact, I would think they would be an insult to the people who looked up to Bin Laden. Death is not something to celebrate, no matter who the person is. It's understandable to feel relieved of fear and anxiety, but other than that, people do not need to throw parties about a person's death.
Age, I guess, could be a factor. People who are old enough to clearly remember 9/11 would more likely be the ones to celebrate, while the younger generation either participates in the celebration or remains somewhat idle.
I don't really think it is as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. I understand that he is/was one of the leaders but I mean it's not like anything is actually going to change. The attacks will continue and maybe even get worse because now they have vengeance. I know I might sound like a bad person but i mean really its the facts of life and as much as we would like to say it's over in the back of our heads we know it's not.
ReplyDeleteCharlene Sigua
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I was 4 years old when 9/11 happened, I honestly don't really remember much of it. I can understand why the people who are older than me are celebrating, but I don't think people should be celebrating about Osama's death. But I also understand that age could affect on how others look at this situation, and most likely the people who are older and can knows exactly what happened during 9/11 are the ones to do so.
Gabriel Flores
ReplyDelete6th period
When 9/11 happened I was in kindergaren at the time. The tragic events of that time caused nothing but problems for my family and probably many others. I find the celebrations of his death a little inappropriate. I understand that this man was responsible for hundreds and thousands of lives and a world of heartache for many families but death is not something to be celebrated. In fact, I belive that the death of Osama Bin Latin should put America in a state of alert. To America the death of Osama Bin Latin is a good thing but to the people who looked up to him it is the complete oppisite. Yes I think that America should be happy but sometimes we could go to far and that could do nothing but cause more trouble.
Dane Gantt
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
Yay! We killed him! What now? Everyone's making a big deal out of this and it's over already. Every news station has something new about Bin Laden every day, and it really isn't necessary. Who cares about Bin Laden anymore? HE'S DEAD. GET OVER IT.
Azim Hemdani
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I think that the death of Osama Bin Laden is a very big success for people all around the world. Since I was young I don't remember anything about 9/11 but later on I found out what exactly happened therefore I was very shocked. I think that the celebrations that are taking place are appropriate because a huge part of terrorism is dead. Well yes age is definitely a factor but that fact that many lost their loved ones is another reason for the generation to celebrate with such joy.
Nicolas Alba
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I was only 4 years old when the 9/11 attack happened. I remember watching it on the news, and just how terrible it was for the victims. I admit that it did not concern me very much because I did not understand much of the consequences. As I grow older, I learn more about threats from terrorists. Recently, when the news about Osama Bin Laden's death reached me, I felt some relief but I wasn't thrilled. Just because Osama is dead doesn't mean that there aren't other terrorists capable of planning attacks.
Prerna Kamnani
ReplyDelete4th Period
Although I was young when 9/11 occurred, the death of Osama Bin Laden makes me happy. I feel like our country is in a safer position than it was previously. During 9/11, I remember my teachers being afraid. I remember not knowing what was happening, but the adults at my school were panicking. That is practically all I remember. I also remember coming home, and my parents were watching the news. They would not stop watching the news. The “celebrations” taking place over Bin Laden’s death is a controversial subject. I feel torn. I feel like that these celebrations should be happening. After all that has happened, I feel like these celebrations are well deserved. Another part of me feels like these celebrations should not be taking place. We killed Bin Laden, but what happens next? Does that put our country in more danger than it was before? Also, it doesn’t seem right to be celebrated someone’s death. I feel like our age group doesn’t really know what to feel since we were so young during 9/11. I feel that people older than us are more opinionated about this death.
Victoria Hackney
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I don't care who you are or what you've done, death is not something to celebrate. Osama Bin Laden did something completely horrible to the United States, and not only caused death to people during his planned attack, but also on all the soldiers dying out in war because of him. By us celebrating his death, are we no better than him who killed or is the reason for so so so so many people's death? Murder is murder no matter how many killing there were. Yes, for many people they have less stress about terrorist attacks but Al Qaeda is still in existence and our celebrating of Osama Bin Laden's death is just fueling their anger. It doesn't matter who you are or what you've done, as a person no one deserves to have people celebrating over your death.
4th period
ReplyDeleteI don't think that it is right to celebrate Bin Laden's death. I don't care what he did, he was still a person. Even if you did lose someone in 9/11, it's not acceptable. That's just like the terrorist being happy they killed Americans. So we killed Bin Laden, okay, now we've got all his followers to deal with.
I was really young at the time so I don’t remember much but when my parents found out he was dead they were very relived. I don’t really remember much about this event. I just remember going to school and everyone was scared because their family lived in NY. I remember people were crying a lot and that’s pretty much it. I think the celebrations is a little too much like I can understand why people are doing it but its that they don’t care about anything now just that he finally died. Like people should finally be happy that their family members are all safe and their deceased family members can finally rest now. Age is a big thing to the celebrations because many kids our age don’t remember 9/11 much but they older generation remember things perfectly and are happy to see that the man who killed so many people is finally gone now.
ReplyDeleteMishi Jain
ReplyDeleteperiod 2
Since I was 4 during the attack, I remember only a bit of what happened that day. I remember I really didn't know what happened that day except noticing that my teacher was crying. That was it. Right now, I feel that we did what has to be done. It is the way it is and we can't change it. My parents also felt this way and I will later explain why.
I don't remember much about the attacks. I only came to know and truly understand what happened in maybe 4th or 5th grade.
Like I said before I feel it is the way it is. Now I shall explain why; so many Americans are getting overjoyed and excited over Osama's death. What many are not thinking of is the fact that they will attack. Many Al Qaida followers are getting angry and protesting. Also there are many other leaders that followed Osama and they will react. By celebrating this much and publicizing it, we provoke those people and we have no idea what they will do.
Age is a factor but that fat that everyone is excited that a huge terrorist is dead also leads to celebration.
Merin Mathew
ReplyDeleteP.d 6th
I honestly don't remember anything about 9/11 or what my school did. I don't know why but I don't feel like celebrating over his death. He killed thousands of people an yet I don't feel in a partying mood. Maybe because either way, death is still bad and it is nothing to be celebrated. Instead of celebrating, we should just give a moment of silents to the people who died in 9/11. I don't know if age factors people to celebrate his death. I guess most people would be affected by losing someone to 9/11.
Nina Tames
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
Saying that Osama is dead, is a pretty relieving thing to say. He killed so many innocent people, it's ridiculous. I honestly think that he shouldn't of been shot to death. He should of been killed horribly.. He deserved it. I don't understand why they didn't catch him and keep him alive to ask questions, and to find out more things though. Who knows, he might be still alive.
Travis Crissman
ReplyDelete2nd period
When 9/11 happened I remember that my mom picked me up at school because she had no idea what Al Qaida was going to do next. I completely agree with Nick, it is completely arrogant for some people in the United States to celebrate, wave American flags, and gather to celebrate the death of Bin Laden. I believe this is extremely wrong, and people should be ashamed. Although Bin Laden was an evil, terrible man who killed tons of people we did not need to kill him. I believe that no human has the right to take the life of another—no matter how bad a person is. I think it would have been better to capture Bin Laden and have him spend the rest of his life in jail and actually be punished and accountable for all of his horrible actions.
I don't really remember what happened the actual day of 9/11 but in the past few years I would watch specials on television about it or look it up on the computer. When I found out that Bin Laden was no longer alive, I was relieved. I don't think that celebrating was the best idea to do but you can't tell others what decisions to make. In my opinion, the United States is not completely harm free because Osama Bin Laden had many people with him. Therefore the United States should still be cautious.
ReplyDeleteStephen Castillo
ReplyDelete4th Period
You know the death of Bin Laden is awesome, and people should celebrate it as best as they can. Yet looking at it from a Christian follower point of view, the extinction of a major terrorist leader is the part we should celebrate. The death of someone no matter who it is, is tragic and one should not celebrate the fact of death. So yes he is dead and we can sleep better knowing that, but we should not fixate on his death, more along the lines of achieving a goal. With Bin Laden's death the U.S. shows that we do fight back no matter how long it takes, and that these people can be stopped.
Brandon Psencik
ReplyDeleteMay 8th
3rd period
All right I have quite a few things to say about the matter. First of all some people are saying that we're celebrating too early. To me this is a half truth. For one I think we deserve a chance to celebrate because after all hundreds of people lost loved ones and even whole families so they deserve that right to celebrate. On the other hand some people are forgetting that there are still more threats than ever now in fear of retaliations but i'm pretty sure our government is already thinking about these ideas and what to do in such cases. Now secondly some people are saying that we're stooping to Bin Laden’s level by the way were being happy that he is dead and that we want to see his dead body. I mean sure its great that he is dead but I do agree with people by the way we shouldn’t stoop to his level and be super happy. As a catholic I am taught to love all people so when I see a bunch of people celebrating over someone dyeing I feel kind of upset so I don’t like to see that. Over all though it was a great step up in our level of confidence and sense of security now that Bin Laden is dead.
Bailey Banks
ReplyDelete6th Period
I don't think that Osama's death is exciting in the form of "celebration", but it is exciting because it brings closure to the tragedy and the families of people that died in 9/11. It's also sad to see that people are so glad that he is dead to the point where they are viewing graphic videos and photos; people are people just like you. He was obviously a very sick person, but we should just be relieved that he has been put to justice and leave it at that.
5th period
ReplyDeleteWell because I was so young I do not remember much about 9/11. I remember watching it on television and learning about it in school. Osama Bin Laden caused sadness for thousands for family but we should not be celebrating for his death. Death is a sad thing and should not be celebrated no matter who it is. We as American should be happy but celebrating is taking it just a little too far. Also because I was so young when it happened I did not fully understand the tragedy that had happened till a few years ago. Because of this when I found out his was kill I was only surprised not happy or celebrating.
Gabriel Camera
ReplyDelete6th period
Honestly I think that people should be happy that Osama Bin Laden is dead. Because he killed alot of people throughout his life. So, now that he is dead he can't kill anybody else. But some people are celebrating on the streets and stuff and I think that celebrating is too much.
Osama Bin Laden’s death is obviously a good thing for me and the rest of the world, because we just got rid of one of the most dangerous terrorists in the world, and the one who planned the 911 attack. We certainly got our revenge. My parents are probably happier than I am that he is dead than I am, because they experienced the full blow of 911 more than I did, considering that I was only 4 at the time and don’t remember much. I do remember watching the footage of planes crashing into the tower and my parents sitting there watching with a worried face. I remember seeing people jumping out of the flamming towers to their deaths, I think that was the images that will forever be burnied into my head. I believe that Osama Bin Laden had it coming, and he deserves it. I think its very appropriate to “celebrate” his death because he caused the lives of so many american people to die, and it is only right to give back to the people who have lost family and friends in that attack. I think everyone is celebrating, except for those too young to know what is happening around them, or the ones who were born after 911.
ReplyDeleteOn the day of September 11th, 2001 all I can remember is my aunt getting stuck in Hawaii. I didn't know why, and I thought it was because she waited to long and got locked in. I had know idea that they grounded all flights everywhere because of the catastrophic event that occurred that day. Osama Bin Laden is responsible for one of the darkest days in our Nations history, on such a beautiful day. Thousands of innocent people loss their lives, many of them first responders, others workers, and the people on the hijacked planes. I believe that people have a right to be mad, but celebrating because he's dead. I don't think that’s right. The loss of a life, human or not is not some thing to celebrate, even if was the cruelest person on earth; celebrating his death won't bring your love ones back. It probably won't even take away the pane.
ReplyDelete6th period.
ReplyDeleteWhen 9/11 happened, I remember I was in school and my babysitter had came to my school to pick up my older brother and I. I remember her reaction being very terrified and my little brother who was holding her hand, crying. When I got home, I remember seeing my mom sobbing on the phone trying to get a hold of my father. My dad was working in a hospital across the bridge and he saw the Twin Towers falling.
I have to admit, when I heard that Osama Bin Laden was killed, I was happy. Because of the fact that he killed thousands of innocent people and caused the World Trade Center to collapse and other horrible things, he basically deserved to die. I would understand people being happy about his death but we shouldn’t celebrate this.
Raphael Laran
ReplyDelete5th Period
When 9/11 happened, I was only 5. I remembered that my kindergarden teacher was talking to another teacher and the TV was on. 9/11 affected people who were older more than us when we were little because this was on their economy and they remembered the event better, it was a devastation to the U.S. It still affected us in the future because it messed up the economy and we had to live through that. What I remembered about the 9/11 attack what the words: Pentagon, White House, Twin Towers, and Osama Bin Laden. A lot of us would be happy about his death because he killed so many people and he deserved what he got, but people are making jokes about him and his death. He is still a person, maybe not a good one, but still a person.
Marissa Moss
ReplyDelete5th period
The killing of bin Laden is a great step in our country's future, but I think, like Ashley and Bailey, his death goes on a long list of deaths that have occured because of all this terrorism business. We should be proud of our accomplishment, but we should also be aware that this could lead to all sorts of consequences-al'Quieda members are going to want revenge for their fallen leader. I am not very informed on the matter, but I will always remember Setemeber 11, 2001, and for me this is the beginning of the end.
Aman Gupte
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
So bin Laden is dead. It’s a good thing, I get it. But this doesn’t affect me in any way shape or form. I mean okay, he was the mastermind behind many terrorist attacks against the US, but he’s dead now and there’s been enough celebration. Now let’s do something like bringing our troops back home, I mean if something like that is not going to happen then this is just kind of like a huge break from this war.
Nick Grieger
ReplyDelete2nd Period
In my opinion, the celebrations that people are having about the death of Osama bin Laden are hypocritical. In the United States, we believe in justice rather than revenge. We celebrate his death while he celebrated the death of the United States. Does this not make us the same?
Abels Koshy
ReplyDeletePer: 6
I truly don't remember a single thing of the 9/11 attacks, all I remember was in third grade we watched the videos and talked about it for a day.I didn't really understand what was going on at the time, but I knew that it was bad, and that it was caused by terrorists. I later learned about Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda, and how they were responsible for the attack. After 9/11 I personally never really thought about bin Laden, at times I even forgot his name. But I doubt older people and people who lost people because of him could forget about him; he made much more of an impact on their lives than mine.
Well for starters, I really don’t remember much about 9/11 other than seeing it on the news. I remember asking my mom what the whole big deal was about and she looked like she was about to cry. She told me some bad guys crashed a plane and some good guys got hurt. As I got older I started learning about it at school and I realized the importance of that day. Although that day was tragic, many good things happened, such as food drives, donations for the families that lost loved ones, and there were many vigils for the fallen heroes. If I could sum the feelings of that day with one word it would be: patriotism.
ReplyDeleteJames Joseph
2nd period
Marcus Levine
ReplyDelete4th period
Does it matter that we killed him now. Eight years ago it would have made a huge deal, but now, because there are so many terrorists, he is just a cannon fodder. So what now, we killed a man for something hat happened almost a decade ago, and yes I do acknowledge the seriousness of his crimes, it just seems like tasteful revenge now.
Leslie Vahappilly
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I remember I was three years old when 9/11 happened, and news broke that it was done by Bin Laiden's group. It funny because thats the only terrorists name I knew, and when I heard he was killed, I thought it was all done. But then I came to know its not done yet, his group of terrorists is still out there planing out the doom of America. We should stop celebrating that a leader of a very dangers group is dead, and start to find all of them and destroy them completely then celebrate because they will now be even more eager to attack us.
Ervin Ricasio
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I don’t remember so much about 9/11 when I was a child. I always watched the news with my father every night and I remember watching a video from 9/11 and all the towers colliding. It was a very sad moment for everybody. Osama Bin Laden is a well known terrorist that does many bad things. He has taken so many lives of people and U.S. has responded with revenge. I don’t think its right to celebrate his death, because even though he has been killed doesn’t mean this war is over. Who knows, what if Osama Bin Laden has followers that will do his job for him.
Troy Pete
ReplyDelete4th period
I was too also shocked of the death of Bin Laden. I mean its not good to celebrate the death of someone but the families that lost loves ones truly now can say justice was served. I mean I am happy for America because we finally got him .
K'Vonna Johnson
ReplyDelete5th period
As a kid I don't remember much about 9/11. All I remember is my mommy on the phone, while picking us up from school, talking about the twin towers falling. Osama Bin Laden death didn’t really "excite" me you can say because he didn't affect me or my life in any way. But what he did do is give me some kind of fear deep inside of planes even though I love flying in them. Yes, his death I guess you can say a "victory" for our country but it’s inhumane to celebrate a person’s death in some degree especially when it is not in the remembrance of another human being. Unlike many I was more surprised to hear of his passing not ecstatic. But then there are others who think it’s not every day a “victory” like this is made in the U.S.
Grace Bonojo
ReplyDelete4th period
When 9/11 occurred it was a week before my 6th birthday. All I remember is for the week before my birthday was everyone on TV saying something bad happen. I just knew it was sad because there were flashing pictures of dirty and crying people. I didn't understand it then but now when the most feared man in America is dead I understand the importance of the day of his death.
The celebration of a man's death is, from a moral viewpoint, very wrong. Sure he took lives and deserved a severe capital punishment, but to celebrate his death makes us no better than him. The celebration of his death is not appropriate, but the celebration of our victory as a nation is acceptable. The celebration is most important for the people in generations before ours, than it is for our generation.
I don't really remember too much but I do remember that I was in art class and my teacher turned on the television and we watched it. The reality that I had seen many people's loved one die didn't hit me till I was old enough to understand such a complicated matter. For the second question I want to ask you something, why do we celebrate the death of Bin Laden when there are about 2.3 million thing that we can celebrate that are of a better topic than someone that was truly hated. I remember that once I saw this satire television and it taught me that we hype up on negative characters in the media like criminals not just Osama. What image are we presenting when we get excited over a criminal's actions?
ReplyDeleteJoe James
ReplyDelete6th Period
On the day of 9/11 I remember that all the teachers were rushing to to turn on the TV to see what was going on, there was definitely confusion amongst the students. What really bugs me though since the Bin Laden death is that people are celebrating like terrorism won't strike again. Osama was an iconic leader in Al-Qaeda but his death won't mean that they won't be operational anymore. It just symbolizes a big step towards thwarting Al-Qaeda's plans.