Do you ever check to see where items that you purchase are made?
Last thoughts on outsourcing???
Smithsonian’s ’Made in America’ Mandate Not Easy To Achieve
Washington Post
By Ed O’Keefe
April 16, 2011
Virginia craftsman Byron Whitehurst designs the polystone busts of American presidents that line the shelves of a gift shop at the National Museum of American History. Priced at $20 each, the trinkets are a favorite among tourists, who buy about 1,200 a year.
But that was before a visiting senator picked up one of Whitehurst’s busts and noticed a small tag proclaiming “Made in China.” His angry reaction touched off a firestorm that has forced the Smithsonian to clear its shelves of many souvenirs and rethink how it stocks its popular gift shops.
Come July, Whitehurst’s lower-priced products — designed in Virginia but made in China — will no longer be sold at the third-floor gift shop near the history museum’s American Presidents exhibit. The Smithsonian Institution is converting the shop to sell only American-made products, an experiment that may mean higher prices for consumers but could pave the way for similar “Buy American” efforts at other Smithsonian shops.
The change is far from easy. Foreign manufacturers produce many of the most popular items at Smithsonian shops, including American flag pins and coffee mugs bearing an image of the Washington Monument. Illustrated maps of Washington are designed in Britain, postcards of the Smithsonian Castle are from South Korea, and the tag on a tie-dyed Grateful Dead T-shirt says “Made in Honduras.”
“It’s challenging to get the range of products that we want to offer that will appeal to our visitors and to buy them in the USA, because they’re not produced here,” said Peter Gibbons, who leads the team that is making product selections for the Price of Freedom shop.
Tourists, typically, are not big spenders. Smithsonian customers spend an average of $20 at the gift shops, with most individual purchases averaging about $3. After a long search, Gibbons found a small Utah company that makes presidential busts that are similar to Whitehurst’s, so those will soon replace the Chinese-made presidential figures.
Whitehurst said he thinks the effort is misguided. “They’re hurting small businessmen like me. There’s nobody in the U.S. that’s going to get a job because they forced the Smithsonian to get ‘Made in America’ products,” he said.
Smithsonian gift shops generate about $9 million in annual revenue — a respectable sum, but hardly enough to persuade manufacturing firms to move back to the 50 states, hire American workers and help reduce the unemployment rate.
“We’re not 100 percent sure the Smithsonian can solve that problem, with all due respect,” said Smithsonian spokeswoman Linda St. Thomas.
The call for change began when Sen. Bernard Sanders (I-Vt.), a big history museum fan, went shopping there last year for Christmas gifts for his granddaughters. He was outraged to discover that many items, including Whitehurst’s wares, had been made in China.
“It seems to me that when we have lost millions and millions of good manufacturing jobs, that a museum owned by the people of the United States, speaking to our own history, should be selling among other things statuettes of our national leaders made in the United States,” Sanders said in an interview.
He issued an ultimatum to Smithsonian bosses: Either sell more American-made items or risk losing billions in federal funding.
Motivated by reports of Sanders’s efforts, Rep. Nick J. Rahall II (W.Va.), ranking Democrat on a committee overseeing Smithsonian construction funds, also drafted legislation that would withhold money for museum construction if Smithsonian gift shops didn’t convert to domestic-made goods. He called the Smithsonian’s buying practices an “insult to American workers.”
Museum officials announced their gift shop overhaul days later.
For craftsmen like Whitehurst, the changes ignore the realities of the American marketplace.
“When I started in this business, most of the products were made in the USA,” Whitehurst said. But most of his U.S. suppliers closed or moved overseas as they faced soaring labor costs and new federal environmental and labor regulations. He had to go overseas, too, to stay open.
“If I bring a product to a customer that’s manufactured in the USA, but it costs 30 or 40 percent more to a comparable product that might be made in another country, unfortunately, most of the time, I’m not going to get the business,” he said.
Whitehurst employs about 35 people in Virginia, including designers, product development specialists, support staff and warehouse personnel. Although his less expensive products are made in China, Whitehurst has premium and personalized products that are made in the United States but typically cost as much as $30 and are only offered at a few stores. Even though the Smithsonian is dropping him, Whitehurst said his gifts will still be sold at the National Cathedral, U.S. Supreme Court and Statue of Liberty.
Sanders vows to press on despite Whitehurst’s objections.
“The American people want the opportunity to purchase made-in-America products, and I will do everything I can to see that that happens,” he said.
Similar purchasing policies exist at the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center, where a spokeswoman said that gift shop managers select American products and that vendors must provide proof that their goods are made in the United States. (Whitehurst said he also sells some of his Virginia-made goods to the Capitol.) A National Park Service spokesman said its concessionaires are encouraged to sell domestic gifts and locally grown foods. If products are no longer produced here, concessionaires must partner with U.S.-owned wholesalers.
Although almost 50 percent of the gifts sold at the three history museum gifts shops are made domestically, Gibbons said 100 percent compliance could never happen: The popular personalized military dog tags are made in Taiwan, most magnets are made in China and many products assembled in the United States have foreign packaging, prohibiting a “Made in the USA” label.
No such label adorned the Christmas gifts Sanders eventually bought at the museum.
He got his two granddaughters matching “Rosie the Riveter” lunchboxes.
Where were they made? China.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3rd period
ReplyDeleteFirst off I think that this is completely ridiculous. Refusing to sell products that weren't made in America and then going as far as just getting rid of the other foreign made products is just weird. I mean as Americans we have a higher standard of living than most countries so these foereign made products are probably putting food on some poor workers plate for them and their family. So do you really care if the little American flag you bought was made in America? Honestly do you care in the least?
Mayur Patel
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
Well, it is true that most of our products do get produced in over sea countries like China, Taiwan, Korea, etc. and that we should be starting to make things in the US because if we keep on relying on other countries, then they might ask for something in return in the future. Some people might get frustrated with seeing "Made in China" on every product because they have pride in their country to make their own things. The National Museum of American History is one of the biggest museum and I think it should sell products made only from America.
Mariah Cooper
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
Is it really necessary to have a fit over where things are made? I don’t think this is a big enough deal to worry about. We have bigger issues to think about and solve. Who cares that what they buy was made in China, or Honduras, or in any other country. It would be the same is America made it. Lets worry about more important things.
I don't see what the big deal is about products being manufactured in the US are. It just goes to show how selfish the US and our government are. If we begin to only offer goods produced within the US, prices are going up then we have economic problems. I think the government should just continue importing the goods, because we haven't run into any problems.
ReplyDeleteKiah R.
3 period
Andremarie Jean
ReplyDelete2nd Period
This article to me is funny, because I did not think of it as a problem when I see that my shirt or phone was made in China. However, I can see where he is coming from when he wants things made on American soil. To me it can rather make America look a little non-independent. In addition, I think Americans got the good end of the deal. We should be thankful that people half way across the world are willing to make our products that most of the time ends up in a garage sale.
Tyler Morris
ReplyDelete4th period
You know I think I get it. We are trying to boost the economy of our country but we cannot do that if we sell things from other countries. Why is it that we have not converted to making toys here? Well it is because of interdependence. We rely on things made elsewhere to make things here, and vice versa. So I hope that this plan works out, because it could end in the dark ages. Also we do not want to have these countries on our enemy side. We want them to be allies.
I can see what the museum people, along with the rest of Americans, are going for here. But you have to realize that this is more about American pride than American money. It's a good initiative and I'm all for it, but this has to be done in a process. Just like when someone quits smoking, and they are slowly weaned off of cigarettes, people should slowly be weaned from foreign-made goods. As for now, many people (including myself) would rather pay less for something at the expense of it being made in the U.S.
ReplyDeleteSamantha Twardowski
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I don't understand what the big deal is?! I mean a bust of a man is a bust no matter where it was made. In America, we can't make everything so we have China help us and we pay for it, so it doesn't matter. It is astonishing to me on how mad Whitehurst got when he found out that not all the busts were "Made in America". I thought people were trying to become more diverse and accept the work from other countries. Am I wrong?
I’m glad that the Smithsonian is taking this approach and hopefully he will start a trend. This supports working people and companies in the States rather than buying from places that support sweat shop labor. If this becomes a much larger trend with large institutions like the Smithsonian the market would demand more American made goods which may bring businesses back to the states.
ReplyDeleteEven though products are made in different countries they end up in the same place, and it's not like all our resources come from one certain country. They way the system works, is that we give something that we are very efficient and providing and in return receive what is more effective somewhere else. This is not a lose, win situation, people are thinking about pride when in reality it's a win, win situation since they both benefit.
ReplyDeleteAlvin Mei
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I agree with whoever is against the products being made in China. It's ridiculous how an American History museum shop sells products that are made in China. I would be furious if the things I bought in an American store were made from China. When one goes to venture an American experience and want to buy a little souvenir, they want to have that American feel and if it's made from China then it won't be as valuable. Everything these days are made from China, but rarely is it made from USA, so I can see why these people are angry.
Jay Shah 6th Period
ReplyDeleteLAST COMMENT OF THE YEAR! Finally. Anyway, I disagree with this. I like the idea of American made goods being sold in America more, but I don't like the idea of paying more for it. It is annoying that most of our household items are made in China, but the stores know people want to get the best deal they can. This method could be effective if everyone works together. If we stop buying so much stuff from China, their economy would stumble. And for all of us who think the only way to stop China is to nuke them, this could also work. It would just take more money from the people for a while, and a lot more time.
I think that it is going to be very hard for the shop to become and all American made shop. This is especially because most of all the products that we own or see are made from outsourced countries like China or India. However, I do think that this is not a bad idea. With all this cultural change it is very good to have at least some bit of American still trying to hold strong. I think that outsourcing is good to a certain point. We have exceeded that point. When most of your countries products are labeled with "made in China", pretty much most of your country is owned and made in China. With this little spark of US only products, there could be a huge revolution from "Made in China" to "Made in the USA".
ReplyDeleteI find it unnecessary to completely remove stock of honest business because of one man's near crazy patriotism. If we had everything made in the U.S., our economy would go farther down the drain because of the dependance of China's labor force. Plus, the need to pay for so many workers provides a lessened profit for companies, resulting in a unemployment rate increase. Plus, by outsourcing these jobs, we can help out other countries as well. On the patriotism side I can see where he is coming from, but it is too extreme to stop business because of it.
ReplyDeleteJoey Wright
ReplyDelete6th period
One thing I have to say is that America is like a cookie. In order for it to be good you have to have all the ingredients. We have a great interdependence on China for the things that we sell here. To me this is scary. What if China decided that they didn't like us anymore and waged an all out war against the U.S.? We wouldn't be able to survive because almost all that we have is made in China. All of the things that we like such as our phones or ipods were not made in the United States. I think that we need to watch very closely and most of all keep the best diplomatic relations with China otherwise it can come and bite us in the butt later.
It is too much to clear out the shelves because they are foreign made. It doesn't matter where the products were made to me. If the quality is good then I could care less where it's made. Where products are manufactured should not even be an issue considering by buying products from other countries, countries economies are stable. By this man's fondness of patriotism, it is an eye opener because if you ever think to consider our dependence on foreign work forces, it is more than America can handle.
ReplyDeleteI guess I could understand why Senator Bernard Sanders was outraged by the fact that many products come from China. But honestly, and hopefully this doesn't come across as offensive, how is he a senator when even students know that many products are made in other countries? It's understood by most, if not all, of the high school students that most consumer goods were at least partly made in countries like China or Japan. Maybe he was just overreacting, but the matter at hand remains. Forcing products made in other countries to be taken off shelves not only hurts people in America, but it also hurts the people that work in the factories that make them. No one benefits from this except the people that exaggerate the saying, "I'm proud to be an American." Of course I'm sure many more people would rather follow the saying, "Money makes the world go round."
ReplyDeleteDaniel Thai
Period 5
I understand why he a little bit ticked off when something that is about America but made in china I would be mad because its American it should be made in American soil. To comment on Samantha's post it may be a big deal to you but to some people like the one in the post will get mad about it and really would like it to be made in America.
ReplyDeleteEsteban Palacios
ReplyDelete6th period
If they do start making goods in the USA instead of the other countries then the prices will sky rocket! Not only that but maybe tourists will stop buying souvenirs because the ridiculous prices. I know I would! But then again some people prefer American made products over foreign products.
Amber Tunstall
ReplyDelete4th
I think this is kind of stupid. Everyone's trying to save money and these people are trying to force these American made products on people which cost MORE than the foreign goods. Do they really think people will buy it? I listen to my parents and other people at the store and such and i see more people going for the cheapest products instead of the name-brand. Even if people didn't have an option between foreign and American-made, I'm sure people would choose not to buy this little trinket because it costs to much regardless of if it's made in America or not. Maybe these few people care whether things are made in America or not, but the majority of people that I know don't care at all. And if people don't care were it's made, only how much it is, then why is it those other people want to force American only products? I think that's just nonsense.
The idiocy of Congress is pretty astounding. One man's indignation over a trivial matter is going to possibly cost an American's job. The senator ironically does this in order to help bring back American jobs, but he clearly does not understand the underlying business principles involved. Chinese manufactures have the smallest opportunity cost, while American ones are going to be too costly for such a small business. Congress needs to look in other directions to create jobs for our unemployed. On a side note, I sympathize with his immediate reaction, but his ultimatum to the Smithsonian was a complete failure.
ReplyDeleteJenny Chang
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I don't mind outsourcing, but the U.S. is in a bad shape itself. Outsourcing does help other countries by offering employment opportunities, but we also need them now. We should recover first before helping others. At the same time, if we pull all these jobs from those areas, they would suffer economic downturn. Maybe we should reduce outsourcing slowly, so the foreign employees can find other jobs.
I don't see what the big deal is about products being manufactured in the US are.It just goes to show how selfish the US and our government are. Some people might get frustrated with looking at "Made in China" on every product because they have pride in their country to make their own things.
ReplyDelete-Jerry George
ReplyDelete3rd Period
The congressman has a good point, but fails to capture the true essence of the entire system this world and the U.S. is built on. Sure, we can go on and try our best to keep jobs in America, but why would companies care about what happens in America. When you live in a country that runs on capitalism, the thought that companies are free to make independent choices on what they should make and where they should assemble their products is made clear. If this senator seeks to bring back jobs in America, he then has to become a hypocrite for the system that America has been running on since the Industrial Revolution. And besides, Whitehurst is entitled the same rights a company is given as he is a third-party seller that runs his business selling goods a company has made under no restrictions. Kind of hurts when people find themselves outsourced to various places or laid off in order for companies to cut costs, but a company is entitled to do so unless a higher power restricts it. Hence, the entire U.S. government can only manage to prevent goods from being imported is to remove the present system of capitalism and utilize a command economy. And I would rather live in a place where capitalism has given me a chance to buy foreign goods cheaply over having an group of people limit the choices I can make as a consumer.
Cortney Corley
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think that moving large factories to the United States would employ many and help boost our economy somewhat. But then again, the U.S. isn't the only country struggling. Economies all over the world all have some sort of flaw, so one's gain could be another's loss. Yes, I think it is important that an all-American store sells all-American things, but this drastic change could be hard to do. Of course, Americans want the best for their home, and this could help make a better environment, having job opportunities and gaining millions.
This is just an example of an over-patriotic american. This really makes me mad, not exactly because he made a big deal, but he really made it for the wrong reasons, reasons that this article doesn't even touch on. These things are made by what is really slave labor. These people are hardly paid anything. Chinese factory workers in the Foxconn factories killed themselves because of poor working conditions and no hope. That is the real issue here, not whether your cheap souvenirs are made here or not. Actually that is why these things are so cheap. So I guess he started a good thing, but for the wrong reasons.
ReplyDeleteErica Barrera
ReplyDelete5th period
Does it really matter where your souvenirs are made from? I believe when you go to a gift shop you go to get something that will remind you of the place you just visit. I went to Mt. Rushmore 3 years ago and when I went into their gift shop I didn’t look for where the items were made from. To me it didn’t matter if it was made here in the United States or in China just as long as I can look at it and say I remember when I saw that.
Sean Nelson
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think that something that has American presidents should be made in America, but I also think that it's ridiculous that they would clear off the shelves because of where an item was made and refuse to sell them anymore. Especially of the product is a customer favorite and a lot of money is made of it. Yes it doesn't make sense that such items were made in China, but the Smithsonian overreacted and took it too far.
I think it is a good thing to buy clothes from other countries because they can use the money that we give to them.
ReplyDeleteRoy Glover 3
I think that it is wrong for us not to buy things from other countries because they need the money that we are giving them.
ReplyDeleteRoy Glover 3
Prerna Kamnani
ReplyDelete4th Period
I find it ridiculous that the Smithsonian is only allowed to sell products made in America. What difference does it make where the products are made? In essence, they are still the same thing. I think it would actually be more beneficial to the Smithsonian if they made their products out of America. The prices of the merchandise would increase which would decrease the amount of people buying. Also, it becomes a hassle to find corporations to produce the stock of items for the Smithsonian. I think that Senator Sanders was completely out of line and over reacted. I think his intentions were good. He was trying to increase employment, but no one profited from this change. If anything, things became more difficult. I do not understand why the senator made such a big deal of items being made in China. Practically everything else in the country is made in China, but no one is against that. I understand that the products being sold were symbolic to America, but they are still inanimate objects. Previous presidents and the American flag still receive respect from citizens. Honestly, this was not even supposed to be a problem. The products being sold and earning a profit was all that mattered. Isn’t money what everyone looking for?
Mishi jain
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I think that the part that says that it is an insult to American workers, is not that important. First of all, the fact that america is in a huge debt and that this fact is known all over the world is already in itself an insult. We are in a great national debt and everyone knows this therefore causing us to already be insulted in the world. Then why would it matter to buy from foreign companies? American products are more expensive therefore less people would buy them therefore many businesses will lose money which in turn then hurts the economy. All of it is a big cycle.
Logan Gloster
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
There always has to be a downside to something for someone and it all depends on perspective. China will lose some business to America so that we can manufacture our own products but at the same time we have people in our own country losing jobs designing these popular busts. In my opinion America should make more of its own products it'll give US more jobs and help OUR country. Our country is first and sometimes I believe our government tends to forget it.
Neethu George
ReplyDelete3rd period
I don't see this as a big problem. The Smithsonian should be allowed to sell things from other countries. Actually making objects in America is going to be a huge challenge. First off all people consumers won't buy them because they would be too expensive and would cause the economy worsen. At least those selling things would earn money.
Anthony Chenevert
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I actually see this cause as a good thing; this could show how strong America can stand alone. This occurrence will stimulate the country's government and make America more efficient and better to live. There are other challenges that America must face because of this, if the items are too expensive then consumers won’t want to but it or take part of it. But then for the people who are selling at least it gives them the opportunity to make their own money and live off of their own doing/earnings. It shows how America is shortly and slowly becoming more independent, but then it could cause China and Japan to think, so American thinks they’re too good for us but that may not be the case. The more and more we help ourselves the better off other countries are making things for their own countries.
Carolyne Lu
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
I don't understand what the big deal is. Yeah, a lot of things are made in foreign countries. But so what? Things are still things. Does where it come from really affect the actual product? Most times, no. Having a man sacrifice his small business just because he is doing what many other business are doing: selling products made in other countries. I guess I can sympathize a little, however, with how they still want American produced stuff, but 100% American is just a little bit overboard. That move would just shatter our economy and make businesses lose money as well. Plus, we can think of this using other countries to make our things occurrence as an opportunity to help out those poverty stricken countries and developing countries.
Amita Batra
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I understand how a solution of only selling products made in the US was thought of. However, we have to remember that we are not the only nation in economic crisis. Everyone is in the same boat. The way I view it is that the world is a system of interdependence. If every country only sells its own products, it's just going to be twice as tough for the world as a whole. Even though times are tough, the world needs to continue as many alliances for the general welfare of its inhabitants.
I don't understand why this is being made an issue. If the products cost less to make overseas then obviously companies are going to have them made overseas. Its business after all. Also, by having these products made overseas, we're providing jobs for the poor people in developing countries. The controversy over this is unnecessary.
ReplyDeleteYes, most products here in the U.S. come from Asian countries, but is it a problem? No. Why don't they just appreciate what we have here because I just don't see it as a huge problem. An American flag made in China, Africa, or the United States is still an American flag.
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
ReplyDeleteMs. Scales, your blogs make me have a variety of emotions. That last one made me angry, but this one made me LOL. I'm laughing because it just amazes me how people can get so worked up about petty little matters.
"American souvenirs are made in China! Oh no! They're made in China! The Chinese are communists! Does this mean that my souvenirs are communist? What are we to do?"
Oh please, stop being a drama queen. Lots of things are made in China. So what if a souvenir is made in China? They're souvenirs! Replicas of the original! They're not legitimate in the first place! Sigh... people nowadays just need to calm down and ignore the things they don't approve of. To mess up an entire souvenir shop is just way too much.
Charlene Sigua
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
So a lot of things sold here in the U.S. was made in a foreign country. So? What's wrong with that? I really don't see what the big deal is. It doesn't matter really matter where a product is from, a shirt from China is the same thing from a shirt from the U.S. I kind of get why they want American made things, but if everything was made in America seems to much.
Gabriel Flores
ReplyDelete6th period
I really dont care where our things are made. As long as they're in good condition or fuction right Im fine. I dont see why these people even wrote an article about this. If it were made in America it would be the same if it were made in China. America needs to stop worrying about silly things like this and focus on the serious problems.
This senator who started this debate did a good thing, but used the wrong reasons. He states that patriotic items should be made in America, not China. Now, most Americans probably could not care less if they had a mug from China, it does not really effect them except for pricing of products. What he should have done is encouraged a ban trade restrictions with China as long as they allow sweatshops to continue operation in their country. Many items, such as shoes and clothing, are made in sweatshops that use child labor. Although we do not need to go as far as a trade restriction, but we need to show China that this behavior is unexceptionable if they want to be considered an ally to America.
ReplyDeleteThis is ridiculous to try to stop foreign trade just because it's an american symbol not made in america. If a company from america doesn't want to make these products but a company from an asian country does then that is fine. It provides them with work, us with our product without having to actually do any work, and it strengthens foreign relationships.
ReplyDeleteChris Bready
ReplyDeleteperiod 6
What China is doing is unacceptable and we need to let them know that we will not allow this to keep on happening. I actually think that we do need to stop trade with China if they keep this up. Once they lower the prices that they charge us maybe we will start it back up again. This will make the Americans a lot more jobs because we will lose a lot of our products that China makes and we will start making our own version of that product.
I believe even though we have things made in China, this country is still number one in economics. This economy is changing from a industry to a service based economy. We are creating more highly educated jobs for the future of this great country. Just wait and see, this economy will turn around for the better.
ReplyDelete- Justin Johnson
6 period
Emily Panozzo
ReplyDelete4th Period
Although it does seem reasonable for a historic sight of the United States to have products only made in the United States, it shouldn't have to be taken this far. This just proves how "nit-picky" Americans are. There is a need for the citizens to point out and ridicule even the tiniest of dissapointments. So yeah, the country isn't showing it's thorough work ethic by having a patriotic symbol made by it's own people. Atleast the consideration America gives to the needs of other countries is displayed though the objects. This is a perfect example of outsourcing. So why not lighten up and focus on more serious things. What about war or possible terrorists attacks? Give some consideration to that.
Parker Wodskow
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
What China is doing is unacceptable and we need to let them know that we will not allow this to keep on happening. I actually think that we do need to stop trade with China if they keep this up. Once they lower the prices that they charge us maybe we will start it back up again. This will make the Americans a lot more jobs because we will lose a lot of our products that China makes and we will start making our own version of that product.
Jade Martin
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think for America to want to have foreign made objects off the shelves is crazy! I don't see why America wants to be so selfish about all this. Basically, I think it all comes back to everyone wanting more and more money all the time. Foreign made objects have always been sold in America and nothing should change that.
Keelie Steinke
ReplyDelete5th Period
I really don't think this is something that should be made a big deal out of. Yeah, I understand that an all American store should be selling all American things, but is it necessary to make a fit about it? No. Making the museum get rid of everything "non-American" is a bit ridiculous, and could cause an issue in their stores. Obviously when someone puts a tag on it or engrave "made in the USA" onto it, the price will suddenly go up. And like the article said, most people just go in to spend about $20 on a product, so will this affect the amount of profit they get? Maybe not, but most likely it will.
Kaylah Moore
ReplyDelete2ND
Outsourcing has become the American way of life, but I think that this can be calmed a little bit (considering you can very seldom find a “Made in America” product anywhere). It takes jobs away from Americans. Really the only good thing about outsourcing is that products are cheaper; is it really worth it? Cheaper products or jobs in America?
Alajuawa Davis
ReplyDelete2nd period
That is true that most of ou things are made in different countries liike China, Japan and many more. But I think that's crazy that they want sell items that were not made in America can't be sold. Its really not a big idea.
Grace Bonojo
ReplyDelete4th period
I believe that Sen. Sander's was over reacting when he demanded that items be made in the United Sates. This is a matter of self pride than of reasoning. Sure it would be great to see more things made in the U.S. but we aren't at the financial state to support the money it would cost to make the change. Our interdependence on China, and other outsourcing countries, has turned into dependence. If China suddenly decided that they didn't like the U.S. anymore we would be in a tough spot. I'm all for us bringing back jobs to the U.S. but we have to think about the consequences good or bad.
Grace Bonojo
ReplyDelete4th period
I believe that Sen. Sander's was over reacting when he demanded that items be made in the United Sates. This is a matter of self pride than of reasoning. Sure it would be great to see more things made in the U.S. but we aren't at the financial state to support the money it would cost to make the change. Our interdependence on China, and other outsourcing countries, has turned into dependence. If China suddenly decided that they didn't like the U.S. anymore we would be in a tough spot. I'm all for us bringing back jobs to the U.S. but we have to think about the consequences good or bad.
Merin Mathew
ReplyDeleteperiod 6th
I really going to miss blogs like these.(yay!!!) I see why people want to change all the products to China. It is an all American history museum filled with made from China products. But out of all the problems to deal with, it had to be unimportant as this. We have to admit it, we need China for many things. If China decides they don't want to trade with us, we would be screwed. It not like they would do that because they also depend on us. Can't we think about making more jobs for Americans and to raise our economy?I hope we can start solving more problems then to make unimportant ones.
Arvin Rodil
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
Honestly I don’t get what the big deal is. The Smithsonian should be allowed to sell things that aren’t made in the USA. I mean when people buy things, they don’t look to see if it was made here or in china, they but something depending on quality and if they like it. Also, you have to take in consideration that if all these products were made in American and then sold here, it wouldn’t do any good to our economy. In a time where our economy is as bad as it is, having things made in USA and then sold back wouldn’t help at all.
Ayoub Saber
ReplyDelete4th Period
I agree with whoever is against the products being made in China. It's funny how an American History museum shop sells products that are made in China. If we stop buying so much stuff from China, their economy would go down. People right now don't have to worry about this, let's worry about important things.
If some Senator has a problem with products that were made in China, then he does not have to buy them. America is not yet ready to pay more for American products when they can get the same thing for half the price if it was made elsewhere. Sure, it would help us out in the long run if Americans buy American goods, but it has not yet come to the point where we need to impose tariffs on imported goods. The inflation of prices would be too much in today's delicate economy.
ReplyDeleteNick Grieger
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I am glad they are taking the time to readjust their priorities at national landmarks of taking products from around the world rather than from just the United States. The dependency on other countries for goods shows that America is not independent. Especially at national landmarks, the message that the United States is dependent rather than the most prestigious is something they do not want to convey.
I don't think this needs to be such a big issue. I mean, I understand why some people would like to think that if we're buying a product to celebrate America, it should be made in America, but really, is it such a big deal that a random little trinket is made in China? We have one of the top economies, and I don't personally think it'll hurt us to buy a foreign made trinket.
ReplyDeleteI think that the senator is being rather ridiculous, as right now we all depend on the global market. We don't need to depend on only ourselves because the market has become global and everyone is profiting from it. I understand that it seems like an insult to pride that many of the items in such a historic site are made elsewhere, but put in perspective it doesn't matter where it was made as long as it satisfies the consumer.
ReplyDelete-Ryan Haines Period 2
Lillian Cancino
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think that the majority of the people want to pay for products that cost less rather than more expensive products that are of the same kind. Honestly, I don't see why this is a big deal. He obviously bought his daughters a product that was made in china, most likely because they were cheaper than a product that was made here in the United States. People should not really care where things come from. We have to take into consideration that not everything can be made in the United States, and even if they could, some things are better quality made in other countries. I also think that if we stop purchasing many things from china that this could also affect our trading relationship, and disrupt the world trade. We should just keep things as they are that way the business can stay in business and everyone can be happy. Here in America we have to try to keep peace, and as long as this problem is going on, we can not do that. The only one that seems to have a problem with american made products is the visiting senator.
Kyne Onyenze
ReplyDelete3rd Period
It may be hard to believe but it’s true that many of our products are made in over the sea countries such as China, Bangladesh, etc. however I fail to understand what the big issue is. We all have clothes that have been made nearly all over the world and it doesn’t affect us does it? It’s the way business works, when products cost less to make overseas then companies will obviously have them made overseas. It’s helping our economy and its helping the over sea economies to develop and move forward.
The Smithsonian should sell only American made products. This is a national institutional that was based on preserving some of the United States most memorable inventions and military mementos. So, seeing them like many other companies making goods that promote the United States but made overseas. To see this is more than madding. An American flag should not be made in China, Honduras and other counties around the world; it should be made in the best country in the world THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. What has America come to? We are in the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, yet it is better that we help countries such as China, that’s economy is probably the best it ever historically been. This proves the American spirit which is helping others before thinking of yourself.
ReplyDeleteMalcolm Berry
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
Outsourcing may seem very bad to some Americans but they are not realizing that manufacturing sustains countries such as China. Good manufacturing is essentially there entire economy and is something they just cannot lose. Americans should be more creative and create something new that can be made here that has never been seen before. Green products are one of them, for example if someone creates something new that can help our environment and is encouraged to stay here by our government, that business would stay here creating more jobs. I just feel that we need to become more creative and encourage new businesses to stay here while still having enough businesses overseas to sustain other economies.
I think it is very important to keep jobs in America but that does not mean we cannot sell other products here. This world works as a global economy. Chinese made products have always been sold in America so I fail to understand why it is such a big issue now. It may be the Smithsonian but a product is a product. They are not made here because we lack the workforce who would be able to create these products. This is why companies outsource. Everybody in this world is trying to make money and we have to realize that. I agree with Emily on talking about more important issues.
ReplyDeleteTyler Morris
ReplyDelete4th period
To say that we have not run into any problems with the economy would be a mistake.We are in a major recession right now. Now we are partially in it because of loss of jobs in America. This is caused by outsourcing, otherwise importing goods that could be made here in the good ole' USA.
Dylan Allotta
ReplyDelete4th Period
...Whats the big deal that our stuff is made in China. At least they make it good. Other than that, there's really not much to say. In fact, I'm actually glad things are made in China. There cheaper. If manufacturing companies had to pay for high labor costs here, then products would be much more expensive. So, thank you China! Keep up the good work (thumbs up).
Ayoub Saber
ReplyDelete4th Period
I think it is important that an all American store sells all American things. If we stop buying so much stuff from China, their economy would stumble. Everything these days are made from China, That's why people are angry these days.
Sarah Raines
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
Are you kidding me! You are going to shut down an entire gift shop (temporarily) to get new souveniers made in the U.S.. Just because it's made in China does not mean that we don't have the same pride in our country and it certainly does not mean that we are contributing to job loss in the U.S.. Even if many people are forced to go over seas in search of better and more plentiful jobs it does not really mean that it is because of things made in foreign nations. Even if we did somehow manage to survive without the trade there isn't a chance that everyone in the U.S. Would get a job. Even though you would think the Smithsonian of all places would show some more patriotism there is nothing wrong with the trading benefits established between them.
I don't really see the problem in making things in other countries. Yes it is ironic that symbols of our country are being made somewhere else, but is it really necessary to stop selling them? They make a profit and benefit Americans, so why stop? If the production of products was moved to America they might not create a large profit. More money would be given to workers and less people would purchase the products. So overall, I think that this senator is really overreacting.
ReplyDeleteOpportunity cost might get into this type of a situation. America might be efficient at making computers but Chinese make better day to day home used materials like clothes, dishes and toys. Things made in China are sold to us and other countries in the world, through which both the Chinese and the recipient country experience a profit. Labor costs in most countries make the final price of a product relatively high. I think the Chinese will create a monopoly in the business market pretty soon.
ReplyDelete4th period
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a good idea because it will create jobs here where it is needed. Even if you do need to pay a little more for something, just consider yourself to be helping someone in the U.S who didn't have a job before. I think China, and all the other countries will be fine; because it's not like we're getting rid of all products from them completely, we're just moving them out of the Smithsonian.
Marcus Levine
ReplyDelete4th period
The part that says that it is an "insult" to American workers, is not that important or noticeable. The fact that America is in a big recession and that this fact is known all over the world is already in itself an insult. We are in a huge national debt and everyone knows this, yet the government is still trying to calm the public down, therefore causing us to already be insulted in the world. Then why would it matter to buy from foreign companies? American products are more expensive therefore less people would buy them therefore many businesses will lose money which in turn then hurts the economy.
I find that stressing over things such as where products were made is a waste of time, yes we live in the US, and yes we buy things that were made in China, that’s just how it goes. All countries are dependent on each other, and without Chinas products we would have very little good, forcing the US to start manufacturing more and various different types of products, forcing the economy of the US to continue to get worse. I also find that instead of worrying about where things were made is ridiculous because there are so many more things that need to be solved.
ReplyDeleteJae Phan 4 Pd
ReplyDeleteI don't see what the difference is between buying something made in China versus it being it made in the U.S., to me, the object I bought is only what it is, I don't care about the label, but I do care about the U.S. label costing more to buy. Lets just face it, America just does not have the resources to manufacture stuff as much as China.
This is Jae, signing out. Aloha Texas!
Azim Hemdani
ReplyDelete2nd period
I both agree and disagree with the fact that people should start selling American made products in America because they will sell a lot for the fact that they are made in America. I disagree because even though people would be making products in America, it would probably hurt relationships with other places such as China because all of a sudden people in America would want American made products. I also agree that the buying practices would be an insult to American workers. There a lot of reasons to why the people should sell American made products or why Americans should buy products which are made out of country. It is not bad if people buy products made from other places and I think there should be both American made and other country products in places such as museums.
This article to me is funny, because I did not think of it as a problem when I see that my shirt or phone was made in China. However, I can see where he is coming from when he wants things made on American soil. To me it can rather make America look a little non-independent. In addition, I think Americans got the good end of the deal. We should be thankful that people half way across the world are willing to make our products that most of the time ends up in a garage sale.
ReplyDeleteSteffie Philip
Period-6th
Now of days pretty much everything we buy is made in China because its cheaper. Is that really a big deal. Its not like all the American landmarks were made in China. People need to accept the fact that a lot of things are going to be made in China. That includes Presidential busts and bobble heads.
ReplyDeleteSaimol Edaparampil
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I feel what they did with the situation of the items with the American presidents was wrong. That they want it to be made in America. America needs to be dependent upon other countries like China because it won't do otherwise. Just because it was made in China, it doesn't mean that it is less better than ones made in America. An item is an item no matter where it was made.
Well lets see it's a nice idea but to radically enforced if the change was slower it would be a lot easier on small buisnessmen so it could benefit everybody, but yes we should decrease our dependence on foriegn made products. This is something we have to do to make the U.S. a better nation.
ReplyDeleteGabriel Camera
ReplyDelete6th Period
I think it is a good thing to buy things from other countries because they can use the money that we give to them. It is true that most of the things sold in America are from another country. But I think that it is crazy that they want to sell items that were only made in the U.S. It's really not a big deal.
Travis Crissman
ReplyDelete2nd period
This is great. I am so glad that someone is finally setting a trend to encourage more American made items. I hope that this continues and spreads across the nation. We buy so much stuff from foreign nations it’s ridiculous. There are tons of people in China who are dying from silicone in their lungs from toys and other goods that are shipped to America. These workers are often paid very little to perform this type of manual labor. They work in extreme conditions where there are no regulations to protect them from potential environmental hazards. In the United States, there would be regulations to prevent these types of work conditions for people. Wouldn’t it be great to bring more jobs to Americans since we are in a huge recession?
Tristan Smith
ReplyDelete4th Period
I agree with Sarah, I think it is absolutely absurd that they would shut down an entire gift shop (temporarily) to get new souvenirs made in the U.S. I also think that Sen. Bernard Sanders has a point, because many people take pride in our country. Outsourcing may be necessary to keep costs down, but at what cost will that come.
Nico Alba
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I don't see this as a big problem. The Smithsonian should be allowed to sell things from other countries. Actually making objects in America is going to be a huge challenge. First off all people consumers won't buy them because they would be too expensive and would cause the economy worsen. At least those selling things would earn money.
Ervin Ricasio
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I don’t think there should be a problem making other products in other countries. China receives much profit from us, because we buy their products to use in the United States such as pencil, paper, and other school supplies. Most school supplies are made in China as well as toys. What is the problem of having Chinese products here? At least they are useful and made good. Their products are much cheaper than items made in America, so we basically save a lot of money. If senators have problems with products coming from different countries, why buy them? Hopefully this problem won’t be such a big of a deal.
Ervin Ricasio
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I don’t think there should be a problem making other products in other countries. China receives much profit from us, because we buy their products to use in the United States such as pencil, paper, and other school supplies. Most school supplies are made in China as well as toys. What is the problem of having Chinese products here? At least they are useful and made good. Their products are much cheaper than items made in America, so we basically save a lot of money. If senators have problems with products coming from different countries, why buy them? Hopefully this problem won’t be such a big of a deal.
4th Period
ReplyDeleteI think that having mostly half/all of our things made from China is alright. Because half of the things that China makes, we don't make here. So, I think this is an advantage to our country.
Nina Tames
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
It shouldn't matter where something was made. Honestly, there's more important things to worry about. Just because it's from China doesn't make it worse than ones made here. This is ridiculous.
Raphael Laran
ReplyDelete5th Period
This is just stupid in my opinion. Some guy is complaining that a bust of an American President should be made in America and not in China? That is kind of racist. He doesn't want another country make busts of Presidents because they are sold at a national museum and they are busts of Presidents. It is ridiculous and absurd. China makes everything, of course we would want they're help because, like Ervin said, they receive much profit from us. So it's normal to ask of another countries assistance but it is absurd because it is another country making the product.
Bailey Banks
ReplyDelete6th period
This article is hilarious; I didn't know that people cared so much about where an item was made. It's quite funny to think that someone was once enjoying a toy and then when they see that it's made in China, they stop enjoying it. Truth is it shouldn't matter where it is made, no one really cares, people pay attention to the qualities and prices, manufactured goods are just simply not one of the United State's specialties. Most of America's manufactured goods come from all around the globe and people should just learn to accept that.
Joshua Okanlawon
ReplyDelete6th Period
This is a problem shouldn’t be that big of a deal and is blown way out of proportion. Just because a product is sold at a National Museum of American History, it does not mean it has to be American made. I understand the Senator thinking of all the people that need jobs in America could have made those items, but still it’s a product that the owner wanted to buy from China. It’s a free country, if the owner wants to buy a product from China, than let the owner buy that product from China.
I don’t believe this issue is really an important issue. It doesn’t matter if we get things from china or anywhere. If we started making things in the U.S it would cost too much. Since we are buying things from other country they could use that money for people in need.
ReplyDeleteAileen Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
What's wrong with selling products made in different countries? Okay, sure. I get the point that maybe it ruins the authenticity of the product because buying something that is supposed to be "American-made" when it was actually made in China(just to name a random country) changes the personal value of it. However, if these foreign-made products are pulled from shelves, it would eventually put those who made the product out of a job, and that would definitely not be beneficial to the economical issues currently present.
Almost every product is made in a different country other than the United States. I don't see the point in arguing over a small issue like this. We have many other problems we need to find a solution too. I think a lot would change if we stopped importing products from different countries.
ReplyDeleteI think this is stupid because they are just trying to get more money from us Americans. In other countries all they are about is selling products to other countries, and that can be their only solid source of money. Most of all of our products are made in other countries and if we stop buying from them then we will have to spend more money to try and make these materials ourselves.
ReplyDeleteJohn Moore
ReplyDelete6th
I think that having the pride to know that what we make lasts longer and that it is built better is what we need. everything that is considered "the best" is made in America knives, guns, guitars, skateboards, trucks, motorcycles, the list is endless but when money is an issue and companies need to survive who can complain it helps both countries economies and makes international relations better so you cant complain otherwise America would be on severe war warning with some countries right now.
I don't understand what the big deal is?! I mean a bust of a man is a bust no matter where it was made. In America, we can't make everything so we have China help us and we pay for it, so it doesn't matter. It is astonishing to me on how mad Whitehurst got when he found out that not all the busts were "Made in America". I thought people were trying to become more diverse and accept the work from other countries. Am I wrong?
ReplyDeleteSamantha Pecson
Period-6th
I think people are making a big deal about nothing. If things are made, then things are made. It doesn’t matter what country if they are all going to end up the same. Of course it gets annoying when “Made in China” is plastered all over the place, but it really should not matter, because it is a persons choice if they want to get something made in that particular country. Personally, as long as I think the merchandise is good and worthy my money, and I like it, then your going to see that item in my shopping cart, because I don’t care where it is made. And I am sure most of the American population does not care either.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Mariah. It doesn't matter where it is made. Although that statement can be controversial. Because as we all know, not every country is at the same level, therefore some things that are made in some countries will differ from others. But in the end everything of the same type that is made has the same concept. I think that being judgmental on where it is made is detrimental and will hurt America socially. So we shouldn't just base things on the location that they were produced.
ReplyDeleteBetty Ponce
3rd period.
Francescha Rundle
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
It does not seem like a big deal when it comes to having products being made in China, Honduras or Taiwan. Many things that Americans use everyday are made in other countries so lowering these would be pointless. We need these products but also, with other countries making them, we help the foreign places. Also, having everything be made from the U.S., our economy would fall even more because of having more employees to pay. Almost every electronic, appliance and sovenier is made somewhere other than America and we just have to deal with it.
Joseph Asthappan
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
There is no point in arguing over little stuff like this because if we stop buying and trading with other countries then there will be a big demand within the United States depending on the product. It’s not like we can grow some plants and fruits only grown in China and sell it within our country while totally ignoring China’s trading, and if we could only a handful would survive out of millions of hungry people. America only gains money from other countries, and with our debt we aren’t getting anywhere unless something amazing happens.