1. See below for what part of the Declaration of Independence that you need to memorize for Thursday. 2. Read this week's article
3. Think about the questions and discussions we had in class today and post your comment!
Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the conccsent of the governed."
Florida Elementary Students Remember When Bush Learned of Attack ABC News
By ELY BROWN
Sept. 8, 2011
Sept. 11, 2001 started out as a morning of innocence and excitement for the boys and girls of Sandra Kay Daniel's second grade class at the Emma E. Booker Elementary School in Sarasota, Fla.
"There was so much buzz going around," Daniels said.
"Everyone had their hair done and new bows and everything," recalled Natalia Jones-Pinkney, one of Daniels' former students.
The president of the United States, George W. Bush, was coming to visit.
"The kids had worked so hard," Daniels said. "He was coming to congratulate them for the success and achievements they had made in their reading."
"Everything was so relaxed," according to Ann Compton, the ABC News White House correspondent traveling with the president that day. "This was not a big pressure event. The kids were kind of bewildered by it all, the fuss around them. But they were sitting in their chairs, looking forward and were kind of giggling and glad to see the president."
The day's lesson focused around the story, "The Pet Goat." But while the teacher took her students through reading drills, few in the room knew what the president knew -- that a plane had apparently crashed in New York.
"I had been notified that a plane had hit the World Trade Center," President Bush told National Geographic. "My reaction was, man, either the weather was bad or something extraordinary happened to the pilot."
While the kids were picking up their books to begin reading, "The Pet Goat," Andrew Card, the president's chief of staff, entered the room, walked to the president, and whispered in his ear.
"I made the decision I would pass on two facts, make one editorial comment and do nothing to invite a comment," Card later told ABC News.
"The minute that I saw Andy Card walk into that classroom, lean over and whisper to the president, I knew something was direly wrong," Compton said. "Nobody interrupts the president. Not even in front of a classroom of second graders."
The students, now seniors in high school but just 7 years old at the time, knew then that something had happened. They could see it in the president's face.
"He looked disconcerted, anxious," recalled Lazaro Dubrocq, another former student. "He was looking at the cameras, the walls."
"I remember him being all happy and joyful," said Mariah Williams. "And then his expression changing to very serious. And concerned."
Daniels, the teacher, was also aware of a change in the room. "He left the room. Mentally he was gone."
Just what had Card whispered in the president's ear?
"A second plane hit the second tower. America is under attack."
For approximately seven minutes the president stayed in the classroom while the students proudly read "The Pet Goat" to him. He was later criticized for not leaving immediately, but to the young people in that classroom, he made the right decision.
"I think if he would have panicked that was the tone he was setting for the whole country," said Chantal Guerrero. "If he wanted the country to stay calm, he needed to show that he was calm."
After the president left the room to be briefed and address the nation, Daniels was informed by a member of the Secret Service of the attacks on the World Trade Center. Then she had to explain it to her young students.
"I told them something terrible had happened and President Bush needs to go," she said. "Remember they were in second grade. They were only 7 years old so I wasn't going to give them every piece of information."
Reflecting on 9/11: Valuable Lessons
Daniels also had to teach them some unexpected lessons. "I had to teach them really early about terrorists and about mean people in the world. So I would tell them choose good over evil. Do right when it's in your hand and in your power to do so."
Those lessons and that infamous day have left a lasting impact on the students. "It opened my eyes really fast," Guerrero said. "I wanted to know what was going on and so I guess it kind of matured all of us a little bit faster."
Although he felt proud to be in the classroom that day, Lazaro Dubrocq also felt sad. "You feel sorrow for the thousands of families who were destroyed that day," he said.
Now a decade later, the teacher and students from that second grade classroom continue to share a special bond from being together on 9/11 in such a public way.
"What happened to us made us part of history," Daniels said. "And no matter where they go in life they will always be my babies."
And it's also an experience they shared with the president of the United States, as he wrote in a letter to former student Natalia Jones-Pinkney.
"You and I will never forget Sept. 11, '01," the president wrote. "But remember out of the evil done to America will come good."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Evan Young
ReplyDelete1st Period
I think that it must of been scary for the students because they were so little, and they know that if the President of the U.S. was panicking, then something terribly wrong has happened. Then again, I think that the kids were too little to understand what the WTC was and what terrorists were. It must have been sad for the teacher to teach a bunch of 2nd graders about terrorism and thousands of people dying. I have a little brother in 1st grade, and I know he wouldn't have understood what was going on. I'm sure they remember the day vividly, it must have been scary to be in their shoes.
Jasmine Luke
ReplyDelete1st period
I like the quote when the president states "but remember out of the evil done to America will come good." I like the outlook the president had on this day. I could imagine the stress he must have had on that day. I mean there is stress everyday for a president, but I'm sure it's not everyday when you hear your country is under attack? I admire how he was was respectfully calm to the children, even with all that going on inside of him.
Cailin O'Connell
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
I think that President Bush made the right decision by staying calm and in control even when he was put into a position that would and did cause the rest of us to panic. As a leader, that is his role and duty to us; to calm us down, give us a little bit of hope, then start to work at the core of the problem. I also think it is an excellent idea for Daniels to go over lessons about doing what is right and just, and I think that this should be something done regularly instead of just when the country is in peril. Overall, I think that the decisions of the adults and leaders in this passage were well chosen, and I admire the hope that these children demonstrated even in scary times.
Marvin Puac
ReplyDelete1st period
I wonder how worried the teachers were when they saw Andy Clark interrupt the president. It must have been scary to feel the tension going on in that room. I can't imagine what was going on through the little kids mind, they were so little to understand what actually was going on that day. It was a good decision that the president decided to stay with the kids and remain calm. But he should have also thought about his safety and maybe should have gone to a different location. But in the last sentence the quote reminds us to forget all the tragedy.
Amanda Shah
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
I also believe like Cailin that President Bush made the right decision by staying in the classroom and continuing what he was doing. I think it gave Bush a time to think about what happened, and sort it out in his head. The quote:"but remember out of the evil done to America will come good" really gets me thinking because I feel like it has many meaning. For example how it caused us to come together more as a nation.
Audrey Hermes
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I agree with Jasmine. I really like the quote by President Bush, "but remember out of the evil done to America will come good." It reminds us that everything happens for a reason. This moment truly shows us that President Bush had leadership skills. If he had left the room, it would have stressed out the entire country, and it really would have hurt those kids. We must take this tragedy and learn a valuable lesson that not all people are good people, and that we have the choice to be whoever we want to be, and we should always strive to have good morals and make good decisions.
Tiffany Kwong
ReplyDelete1st Period
The thing about little kids is that they might not have much knowledge when it comes to talking with big words and complicated news, but they do know how to sense things when something isn't right. They saw in President Bush's quickly changed facial expressions and body language, something was wrong. Especially because nobody interuppts the President, as Andrew Card did. I like how President Bush reacted to the news in front of seven year olds. He was calm and continued to stay with the children while they read. I believe it was right for him to continue to stay with the kids, but I also believe that he should've left to take on further actions on the tragic event immediately.
Sydney Ivy
ReplyDelete5th period
I cannot imagine how those children felt that day. At first, they were all excited but in a spilt second they turned to sorrow and fear of the unknown. I think the president made the right decision to stay and finish the book. Its more important to stay clam and not show there is anything wrong then to panic and leave a class full anxious second graders. I know that that moment will stay in their lives forever, along with the president.
Paul Stallings
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
I like how President Bush kept calm and collected and was very concerned even though he didn't show it. It must have been hard to sit there and know what was going on and not be able to do anything about it, but he stayed focused and listened to the kids, which is what I would have done. I also feel bad for the kids because they were so young and to be exposed to that kind of terror and fear must have been hard. In addition to feeling sorry for them, they are to be honored in a way for being part of history. Like Pearl Harbor this is a historical event for our country. I cannot imagine being part of something like that. Being able to look back as an adult and say "I was in that room" must be incredible. The teachers must also have a real sense of connection to the events of that day because they were really a part of it all.
Nima Faegh
ReplyDelete4th Period
I agree with Amanda. Bush made the right decision by staying calm. Also, I think it was good that Ms. Daniels and President Bush didn't tell the students, who were very young at the time, every detail of what happened. President Bush acted very appropriately in this situation, according to my opinion, and the way he sorted it out was professional.
Jeffrey Zhou
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I also think Bush made a good decision in staying in the room with the kids because of he just abruptly left the room while all the kids were reading to him, the entire nation would know that something is wrong because presidents don't leave the room of students reading to him unless something is really wrong. If he did leave the room that day, many people could view 9/11 totally differently from how the president said about the attacks in his address.
Amie Jean
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
I remember hearing people criticize Bush for staying, but now that I know the whole story I think he did the right thing. He sent the right message by being calm and collective. As for the students I think that they were so young they probably didn’t understand what was going on. All I remember was all my siblings coming home early. These kids must to have realized the sudden change in mood. I can’t even imagine how Bush was feeling.
Fabian Romo
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
I personally am surprised at how calm President Bush was when such actions were happening. Being President of the United States is a difficult thing to do. And to handle manners as such as President Bush did, especially around 7 year olds, is amazing. He needed to keep calm, he did it for the children, that's all that matters. One of the top priorities is to keep everyone safe and calm, especially the young ones with so much possibilities in this world.
Tia Lal
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I think the quote, "But remember out of the evil done to America will come good," is a very strong and powerful quote because that attack made us more of a nation. I also think that Bush made the right decision in staying in the classroom because if he had left, the students and the teacher would have panicked even more. I think those children had a very personal experience with the president of that day than most other kids. 9/11/01 was a heart breaking day for many families who lost their family members, but they will always be remembered and engraved in our hearts.
Guadalupe Alvear
ReplyDelete6th period
President Bush did a good job of staying calm so that he did not frighten the children. If he had left the classroom in the middle of the little second graders reading then that would have made the children and teacher scared of what happened. I'm glad that he did stay and listen to the kids. President Bush's quote, "But remember out of the evil done to America will come good." was very powerful.
Laura Luo
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
I was astonished when I read this article. It made me feel dumb not knowing what actually happened during the day of 9/11, but still, I was 4 at that time compared to children who were 7-8 years old. The one thing that just hits me hard in the heart is why did this day happen? We're all the same equal human beings to one another, so why do we have to go in such an extent to hurt one another? If I were in President Bush situation I would've freaked out the moment a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. Why, because a terrorist attack normally isn't really a "thing" we thought we all will imagine since it was just an ordinary Tuesday morning 10 years ago. When President Bush heard the news and thought about it in his quote: "man, either the weather was bad or something extraordinary happened to the pilot" everything seemed so unreal like a bad dream you just woke up from. Bush did a good thing of being calm, unlike me, because he's like being a parent role model to the rest of the country.
Bethany Williams
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I agree with Fabian. For President Bush to be so calm about such a big deal, and around 7 year olds, is truly amazing. I, personally, don't think President Bush should've been criticized for staying in the room with them after hearing the news. He made the right decision. If I was that young, and I saw the President's face go from happy to serious that quickly, and him just leave the room, I would start to become worried.
Him staying calm probably put America at just a little bit more ease than we would've had if he hadn't been calm so I think we need to recognize that.
Jenny Simon
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I can't imagine how badly the situation was, not only for the teacher or for the president, but for the kids that were only in second grade. Since those kids are in high school now or some might have graduated, I bet that 9-11-01 had such a strong impact on them. I highly honor the President just for being calm and doing what's right for the country and for the kids. I mean, imagine if he went crazy and started panicking. It would've been terrible. Honestly, this horrifying incident didn't really touch me, until today in class. I don't think I would ever, ever, ever, understand unless I was physically there to see it with my own eyes. We should ALWAYS have the victims in our prayers and just hope that things like this wouldn't happen to this country ever again.
Grace Cha
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
I can’t imagine how the president and children felt when they were told the truth. Their perfect day, a day for congratulations and celebration, was transformed into a national day of tragedy in a matter of seconds. Although many of them were probably too young to grasp the concept of terrorist, hijacking planes,and death, they knew that America was in time of deap trouble. I personally remember the 911 Attack because I used to live in the Washington D.C. area. Everything was just so crazy and confusing; teachers were blotting their eyes with tissues; parents were trying to pick up their child first before the other parent and a boatload of "why's". 9/11/01 will never be forgot in history.
Wesley Andrade
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I believe President Bush has an odd sense of humor hence the quote, “My reaction was, man, either the weather was bad or something extraordinary happened to the pilot." I am glad that Bush decided to stay in the classroom to listen to the kids instead of rudely interrupting them for a national emergency. Another thing I am proud of is how the kids reacted how the tragedy. I am happy for Bush acting as a professional about this in front of the kids.
Bryan Nguyen-Le
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
It is impresive that the president was able to mantain his cool and keep the kids calm while he listened to their book. Going back to what was said in class today, I realize that ignorance won't always be a bad thing. Although President Bush was criticized for not leaving immediately he did the right thing by staying with the kids and making it seem like everything was going to be okay.
Benjamin Kurian
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I also like the quote that Jasmine and Audrey mentioned. It was right for George Bush not to get out of the classroom as soon as possible. He shouldn't panic, or otherwise everybody else in America will also panic. Everybody knew he had more important matters to work on than to listen to a bunch of second graders read, but he still did the right thing and acted appropriately. And if he did leave the room once he got the news, what difference would it make? It surely wouldn't stop the bombings on the Twin Towers. I would like to see the other people in Bush's position and run away from some second graders trying to peacefully read "The Pet Goat."
Dalton Chamberlin
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I can't imagine what that would be like sitting in the a classroom with the president of the United States and to all of a sudden have his whole mood change after Card spoke to him. I would want to know what happened so badly. I think Bush handled the situation about as well as he possibly could. He couldn't just blurt it out. I wouldn't of handled it much differently if I was in his position.
Justin Hoang
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I couldn’t imagine to be only seven years old and experiencing 9/11 with President Bush. I respect the president’s calm reaction by not leaving the classroom and if he did, it would have broken the children’s heart. The kids must have been scared once they found out what had happened and probably most of them didn’t even understand at that time. Also I think it must been hard and frightening for the children to learned about terrorism early. At the end of the day, Bush had made a great decision by showing us his professional leadership skills.
Annie Jiang
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
George W. Bush made a wise decision to leave. I don't know why people would criticize him for leaving because it was a terrorist attack! At least he waited until the end of the story to exit. I personally don't have any recollection of 9-11-01 because I was in another country living with my grandparents, but my parents were in New York staying at a hotel near the twin towers. I was lucky because I didn't lose them that day, but others weren't as lucky and that is the most devastating part of 9/11. Hopefully, nothing like 9-11 will ever happen again.
Justin Adame
ReplyDeletePeirod 4
I think that’s it was really good that President Bush didn't go all crazy an all that because they were little second graders, and I know if I herd that something horrific at that little I would have cried. The way those little kids took the news that was like a little five minute lesson on how to be when you grow up.
Kristine Cross
ReplyDelete2nd Period
Wow, I don't know how I would feel if I was with President Bush that day. To be there when President Bush got the news of the attack on America. To be only 7 years old, it makes me wonder how the children who were there with him felt. And to not now every detail about what was happening, it must have been really confusing for that class of 2nd graders. But I think the way President Bush handle the situation was very professional. If he would have handled it in a panic it would give the country a sense of panic. The fact that those children had to learn about the bad things and people in the world. It makes me think about how they must have felt they were probably just getting comfortable with reading then for them to have to learn about such a thing. It's a horrible thought to think about what they went through. But as Bush said that day "Remember out of the evil done to America will come good." Through the horrors that was done 10 years ago yesterday, the country came together as one. That is something that this country will never forget.
Carlo Torres
ReplyDelete2nd Period
It is really interesting on how calm the president tried to be, even when he knows that his country is under attack. I feel empathetic towards Bush, because he was surrounded by 7 year olds, and he tried his best to make sure that his nation knew he won’t cower from the attack. It shows how brave and strong our presidents try to be when in a difficult situation. He made sure that the U.S. will never forget that day, and he showed us the bright side out of it.
Michelle Dang
ReplyDelete5th Period
In the previous blogs that Ms. Scales posted, most of them made us realize how lucky we are to be Americans. Well, this is actually one of the disadvantages to being American. Since the U.S. is actually the biggest target for terrorists all around the world, we have to live in constant fear that they could strike again at any moment. Of course, now we have very high security at the airports, and the worlds most known terrorist Bin Laden is dead..
The way Bush handled this situation is great, because most people could not keep that calm during a time of true disaster. And the people who critisize Bush for staying at the school, well what else could he have done if he wasn't at the school? It's not like he could have stopped it or anything! The kids in that classroom that day must've been terrified, seeing his reaction from happiness to complete shock. In an article I read the other day, a couple of the kids from that classroom decided to join the Air Force because what happened to them that day has made such a huge impact on their lives.
Christine Nguyen
ReplyDeleteperiod 4
I think that it is just absolutely amazing how President Bush kept his cool so well under such a terrifying situation. He set a good example to America to show them that they should not panic in a time like that. I think President Bush really showed his professionalism in this situation. Even though he was criticized for it, I think it was very courteous of him to stay in the classroom and finish his task with the children, rather than running off which would have caused much alarm and confusion.
Jasmine Adaya
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
President Bush did the right decision by staying calm for the children. I bet it was hard for him to keep calm when outside of the classroom everyone is going crazy, but he also needed to keep the children calm. These children weren't going crazy , but they knew something was wrong. Either way they were small 7 year old students who wouldn't understand in the beginning. President Bush did the right thing to keep calm while in the inside he thinks about America and the people that were dying while being infront of 7 year old innocent students.
Amy Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
I believe President Bush did the right thing of staying in the classroom and being calm and collective in front of the children. It must be hard for him to do that because you know that you can do something about it, but instead you sit there and listen to some children read to you. He was a very brave man for staying calm in front of the children instead of panicking of how the country is in mortal peril. I mean most people would be freaking out or actually running out of the door with seven year olds observing you. On the other side of the argument, I understand that people would be criticizing him because he can do something about it and instead he is not. Also I don’t think you want to scare some seven year olds because that will not benefit you or anyone else. President Bush was brave to stay in that classroom instead of looking like a coward, running out and panicking.
Gerard Barrientos
ReplyDelete4th Period
I believe that the people that criticized Bush for not reacting immediately to 9/11 were being rash in their opinions. Someone like Bush, who is basically the very representative of the United States, has to stay calm, or the citizens wouldn't be calm. Who would not be worried if their President was panicking in front of national television?
I think this event also sped up the children's rate of maturity by a high amount. You would probably have to grow up and understand the situation quickly if you wanted to truly understand how dire the event was.
Martin Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
Reading this story makes me recall what happened in the school I went to during 9/11. The details are fuzzy, but I remember sitting in class, a kindergarten class, and suddenly the teacher told us all to quiet down as she turned the TV on. I remember not comprehending what I was seeing as a live feed of the twin towers popped up on screen, but now I understand what it was, and why it affected my teacher. President Bush did the right thing by staying calm and rational, tragic as the event was, he kept his cool, and that was one key part he did to deal with the situation.
Kevin Zhang
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
Although Bush has been regarded as not only a very "stupid" president and a conspirator of 9/11, the calmness he displayed in the classroom was very appropriate. From the memories of my friends and family, they all felt as if 9/11 was somewhat surreal, like a nightmare that shouldn't be a part of reality and many parents at that time were rushing to schools in fear and communication at an uproar. I feel as that although at a dark time like that, their were a few things we could've looked up to as an inspiration to save us from our troubles.
Jennie Chen
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
A typical Tuesday morning with great weather could not stop this tragedy. Those second graders thought they were going to meet President Bush and read their story, but its amazing how things never go as planned. No one could have predicted such a thing to happen the way it did. I would have been shocked to learn the news, but Bush kept his cool amd carried the rest out like it should. I don't remember this day happening, but that doesn't mean we should ever forget it. This still feels like a movie scene and not real life. It's hard to face the facts of something you don't want to believe happened. Still, we should never forget what happened that day.
Reeba Mathew
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I think what happened to to the world trade center was a devastating blow to the U.S. Bush did the right thing by staying in the classroom instead of running out the door and scaring 7 year old kids. We should mourn the death of people who did not deserve to die and always remember them in our hearts.
Taylor Jordan
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
Up until 9/11, we as Americans always thought we were invincible. We thought we were powerful because we had strong allies and big cities and we had been at peace. But when we think about it, all these countries, the ones fighting on their home fronts, they have strong allies, they have big cities, they were previously at peace. Out of luck, war had meant sending boys off to fight in faraway, war-torn lands since 1865. Though an unsettling tragedy, 9/11 has opened our eyes to what war can mean, enemies killing our civilians on our soil. And thus we have learned to no more underestimate our enemy, Al Qaeda.
Jeremy Sandil
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
This event have been heart breaking for all americans and to the people around the world. Reading this article about 2nd graders during the event is hard, because there has been a terrorist attack in the U.S. and these children are so young that they don't even know a thing about terrorists. It must have been challenging for the teacher to explain on what is happening and for the students to take everything in. It must be even harder for George W. Bush to make a decision in the classroom in front of the children. He had a choice, either leave the room or stay calm. He gladly made the right decision to stay calm and not panic, he set the tone on how the country should act. These terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Pennsylvania did something that no one else in the world could, it was to bring people together and be united as a nation. This event made us a nation stronger and united together than ever before.
Amy Krauhs
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
On 9/11/01, President Bush was in Flordia. He was at an elementary school listening to 7 year olds read a book. During this time, the World Trade Center collapsed because of a terrorist attack. President Bush was told of this news during his elementary visit. It is amazing how calm he kept his composure. On his face you can tell something had happened, but he didn't act like it was an urgent emergency because he stayed until the kids were done reading. It is good to know that their is always someone calm in a mass of panic because if President Bush paniced, then 9/11 could have been worse. Because of 9/11, we have been more greatful for everyday we survive, so we greatfully honor this tragic day called 9/11.
Luke Chacko
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
The tragedy itself would have sent most Americans running away while wetting their pants, so if President Bush had done that, imagine the reaction of America. So the people who criticized him should shut their mouth, because if he had panicked or left like they say he should have, the reaction of America would have followed his example. The terrorists, who already weakened us, probably hoped to weaken us more if our president had panicked, which would have made the rest of us panic and be vulnerable for an even more devastating attack. Yet Mr. Bush kept his cool and showed the terrorists that no matter how tore up he was on the inside, he would never let them continue with their plan. He held up our defenses against a second attack just by showing the terrorists his calmness.
Tarika Nath
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
Even though the idea of terrorism and the idea of America being under attack might be a little intense for 2nd graders, I completely agree with them learning about it. Everyone in this country should have known that horrible events like 9/11 are just a part of reality, and that one must not try to run away from it out of fear, but try to stop it instead. President Bush's idea of acting calm in front of the children was necessary, however, because others in the country followed him. I do not remember anything from 9/11, but I know that those who do remember and were there to witness it must have been really scared when they heard the news. Many people died, and although that thought may be painful, everyone regardless of age should accept the fact that these things do happen in this world. The President's last quote in the very end, "But remember out of the evil done to America will come good," was significant to me because it made me realize that although what happened in 9/11 was intended to break the nation apart, it really brought us together, because it made us more stronger and aware of what can happen around us in our country.
Joe Thomas
ReplyDeletep.4
I can’t believe those kids were the ones to be in that classroom. It must have been so strange for them to have the president right there, and then 7 minutes later he leaves, and the teacher says something terrible happened. The people who criticized Bush for remaining calm should have thought before they said that. He represents the whole country, and he showed that America can take a hit and not freak out about it. It is sad so many people died that day, but as a country we need to learn to move on, just like the Japanese with the atomic bombs.
Arjun Daru
ReplyDeleteperiod 4
It must have been strange for the kids to go through an experience like that. To have the president happy and excited one second and the next, to have him anxious and out of it. I have met Andrew Card myself, he is my friend's grandfather, and he talked about how it was really as hard for him to tell Bush the news as it was for the president to hear it. I agree with Joe Thomas on the grounds that we need to accept that it has happened and go on with our lives. Around 346000 people were killed in Japan by us but they have moved on from that devastating event. America is strong and needs to remember the 3000 lost but also continue towards finding peace with other countries so as not to have this happen again.
Kennedy Ford
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
Tension, Stress, Fear, Helplessness all theses expressions were going through everyone’s mind at Emma E. Booker Elementary. I couldn’t be able to feel what those kids felt during that time. I also like what the president stated “but remember out of the evil done to America will come good”; it gives you the feeling of power and safeness. President Bush stayed calm was a sign of being a great leader he wanted to show that we can’t always panic. The thing that will stay with those kids the most is how the president being a great leader and a terrible time for the nation. Our biggest fear is being under attack, but we have to remember we can survive through a terrible time with hope and peace.
Jacquie Gann
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
President Bush did the right thing by staying in the room with the second graders. He showed that even though there maybe tragedies in the nation it is important to stay relaxed and think before our actions, especially with something this important and devastating. The lives of thousands of innocent people were lost on that horrific day. Like President Bush said, "But remember out of the evil done to America will come good.” I strongly believe that statement. If America can show everyone else that even through the hardest of times we can survive and become better than we were before, then we have already beaten anyone or anything that wants to hurt our nation.
Michael Adamczak
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
This story blew my mind. I couldn't believe that people would criticized President Bush for not leaving immediately also it's inspiring how he kept his composure once he was told that a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. Joe Thomas I really disagree with you when you say we need to move on, we should do the opposite and remember this day forever.
Cecil Sabu
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
September 11, 2001 was a terrible day for America. I was only four years old when the terrorist attack happened, so I didn’t know what was happening. But the kids at Booker Elementary School had to very quickly learn about terrorism and bad people in the world. I would have been very scared if I was in their place. Their day with President Bush was shortened because he had to take care of the situation, but I believe he did the right thing by staying calm in front of the kids even when something so major was going on. It helped the kids stay calm as well. I am pretty sure that all the kids at Booker Elementary School will remember 9/11. We should continue to remember it also.
Reuben Kuruvila
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
This incident is truly amazing because of how former President Bush responded to such an out-of-the-world comment as "A second plane hit the second tower. America is under attack." I am sure he was pressured into leaving and making everyone alarmed at how frightened he was, but surprisingly, he stayed until he was supposed to leave, showing how being calm was important. It was very smart to stay and be calm, leaving the school kids and teachers less alarmed and less frightened. Still, some people had noticed that he was a little tense, but thanks to President Bush, things did not get out of hand at Emma E. Booker Elementary School.
Brian Huynh
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
The events of 9-11 were devastating. I couldn't believe Bush was so calm when the news was told to him. Well you could see it in his eyes that something was wrong, glancing crazily off in the distance of the school. I would be scared, no doubt. But he knew what to do, as these kids got ready just for him and couldn't abandoned them for all their hard earned work. Remember the innocent people who had died for no reason. You have to learn from these experiences, good or bad, so America is more prepared if anything like this happens again, as we will never know when.
Cameron Lake
ReplyDelete1st Period
First off, I admire how President Bush stayed calm and finished reading with the children. I don't understand why people criticize him for not leaving. There was nothing he could have done at that time to stop the attacks.
Furthermore, after Andy Card whispered the situation in Bush's ear the vexation probably could be felt in the room. I can't imagine how the students felt after witnessing the change in President Bush's mood. However, looking back to 9/11/01 the students of Emma E. Booker Elementary School now understand what a huge part they played in history.
Karen George
ReplyDelete4th period
For most of us we were even younger than those kids at the time and none of us had any idea of what was going on. I am glad that President Bush didn't panic because if he did the whole United States would have been in chaos. I feel bad for the second graders because such a great opportunity came to meet the President and it was all ruined by some people who tried to ruin our peace. September 11 has had a great impact on our country and I am glad that as a country we take time to remember the lost souls and the heroes.
Lara Moaty
ReplyDelete1st Period
If I was in that position, I would have been as calm as the president was. It showed leadership when he stayed with the kids and did not try to scare them. Americans were probably scared. They had every right to be scared because it was probably going to affect them, but mainly their country. People are going to do things that can be scary, but we should be calm in situations like these like the president was.
Chris Abraham
ReplyDelete5th
This must have been such a horrible thing for the students to hear at such a young age. 9/11 was such a tragic day, and when my parents heard it, they just sort of crumpled in fear. We had a lot of family here, and the fact that something may have happened to them was absolutely terrifying! I have heard many complains and criticism against the presidents doings and you know, people who do that are so very ignorant. The presidents go through quite a bit, the whole nation depends on them, and when things like this happen, it takes a very brave man to cope with things like this. It must have been devastating for George Bush to listen to these hopeful kids while his people were getting hurt. I really liked it when George Bush said, "But remember out of the evil done to America will come good," with =out our involvement in this, Bin Laden might still be terrorizing other nations while we sit at our home. I would hate for that to be the case...my heart goes out to everyone who lost their life on 9-11, may we never forget the many heroes and victims who died that day.
Twinkle Joseph
ReplyDeletePeriod-4
I honestly think that the president reacted in a correct manner. He did set a good example for the kids and the rest of the nation. I can just imagine being a little 7- year old in that room. Even though it only took a couple of minutes, I know this changed the kids! My favorite quote was when Daniels said, "Do right when it's in your hand and in your power to do so."
Patrick Pecson
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
Man it must have been a really tragically moment for these kids. I don’t think that I would have liked that experience where you’re only in the second grade and 9/11 happens. I really just want to make a shout out to all the people affected by 9/11.
Lynnie Dickson
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
9/11 was like a bad dream that had suddenly became a reality. I know that I barely remember the event. I was only four-years-old. I only understood after I went to fourth grade. I'm sure that the second grade children at Emma E. Booker Elementary School were also confused. In my opinion, George W. Bush did the right thing to stay calm. This event changed our country by a long shot.
Brittany Lacy
ReplyDelete1st period
Even though President Bush was criticized, I believe he did the right thing. By him staying calm it helped a room of second graders stay calm, and I pretty sure they all appreciated it in the long run. He let he world know that even though the worst is happening they should stay calm. As for the kids they shouldn’t have seen panic anyway. Because as a kid myself if anyone would panic and go crazy I would to. Those second graders and President Bush will forever remember that day they spent together.
Jacob John
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I understand how the children would feel after this had happened. I like how the president stayed calm and didn't do anything to frighten anybody. He also said a very strong statement also. “But remember out of the evil done to America will come good." This is a very inspiring quote which can mean many things. After this we felt a little better. Our country today is well prepared for anything like this and it has brought unity to us. The result of 9/11 had good sides and bad sides. The good side is that it has helped us to be more aware and the bad part is mostly discrimination to Indian people. I just hope that we could be more mature and nice to people unless we are positive that they are bad. We have come to far to go back now.
Darryl Mohr
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
In my mind President Bush did the right thing by staying in the classroom. I like the quote that said that if he wanted the country to remain calm, he had to be calm also. I also think that it would be a hard thing to teach a bunch of second graders about terrorists and what happened on that dreadful day. If I was one of those second graders in the class, I think that I would have been oblivious to what was going on and I still don't know everything that happened. On the other hand, I would also feel honored to have had such a public role in what happened and just being able to meet the president.
Brikitta Hairston
ReplyDeletePeriod one
When I first learned of 9/11, I wasn’t being told that America was under attack. My mother was telling me, that my aunt was in the hospital, and we had to drive up and go see her. My aunt worked in the World Trade center and I am sure that many other people had family there so every story or lesson about 9/11 springs my heart and I really feel the pain and fear all over again. So hearing about how calmly President Bush handled the situation he was in reminds me that there was and is always someone out there that understands.
Krista Killam
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I think the President made a great decision on staying calm. If he would have freaked out, then all of those second graders would have been scared. I think he showed how a leader acts in a situation like this. I really believe a lot of those second graders look up to President Bush. I kind of feel bad for the teacher because she had to explain to a bunch of second graders basically what happened and why someone would do that. Obviously these kids wouldn’t understand why this would happen, but I think they have a better understanding now more than anyone in the world. That day, they learned one of the best things they could ever learn. I think the bond these kids share with the President and their teacher is amazing. This story just makes me want to see more kids have respect and kindness for everyone.
Jayson Varughese
ReplyDelete6th Period
I was surprised at how President Bush didn’t go crazy and actually handled the situation as well as he could. I was five years old when the attacks had happened, so I didn’t know what was going on. It was good that President Bush didn’t panic because if he did, everybody else in America would also have panicked. It would be frightening to be sitting in a classroom with the president all happy and then suddenly, his whole mood changes after his chief of staff speaks to him. The quote, “Remember out of the evil done to America will come good." is a really good quote that shows despite a disaster occurred, the nation came together. We should take the time to remember the lost souls and the heroes of this attack.
Gabrielle Chaney
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
This story was very close to my heart. I could picture the whole event as I read every sentence, from the reaction of the students and the president. I feel they handled the situation very well. The president stayed calm and didn’t freak out and storm out the room, but stayed and finished listening to the young children who were clueless on what was happening. It amazing to know that they shared an experience with the President of the United Stated of America, even though it was a great loss for many families. I enjoyed reading this article, because I learned about the children who were there once the president had gotten the news. This is a memory that as Americans we will never forget and will be remembered for many years to come.
Jeremy Sandil
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
This event have been heart breaking for all americans. Reading this article about 2nd graders during the event is difficult, because there has been a terrorist attack in the U.S. and these children don't know a thing about terrorists. It must have been hard for the teacher to explain on what is happening to the 7 year old students. But it must be harder for George W. Bush to make a decision in front of these children. Making a decision either leave the room or stay calm, would set the tone on how the country should react. But he made the right decision to stay calm and stay in the room as the children read their books. These terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers, Pentagon, and Pennsylvania did something that no one else in the world could, it was to bring people together and be united as a nation. This event made us a nation stronger and united together than ever before.
Aadithya srivatsav
ReplyDelete5th period
I was very young at the time of this disaster, so I don't remember too much at the time. But if I were a high schooler at the time, this would have changed the course of my life drastically. I might have join the armed forces to honor those who died. The things that happened that day will never be forgotten. We need to honor the men and women of 9/11 not just on every 9/11 anniversary, but everyday.
Ronald Propper
ReplyDelete5th period
I really admire the way President Bush stayed calm. I understand how some people believe that President Bush did the wrong thing, but honestly staying in that classroom and remaining calm was the best choice. I also feel sorry for those kids and their teacher, I bet it was really tough for the teacher to try to explain to the class what just happened. September 11 was a bad day for America, but it is like President Bush said " remember out of the evil done to America will come good."
Gabriella Rodriguez
ReplyDeletePeriod 4th
What happened that day on 9/11/2001 was a day we will never forget. It changed the way we look at people in our community. It was terrifying for me to see when I watched what happened on the news a couple of days ago. It really opened my eyes when I saw what happened. I can’t imagine what the 2nd graders were thinking when they saw President Bush’s expression change from being happy to serious. I also can’t imagine what Bush was thinking at the time when he heard the news.
Katrina Qin
ReplyDelete2nd period
The children were so happy and excited when the President Bush came to their school and read with them. But that day is a really bad day for the United states, the event of 9/11. During this time, the World Trade Center collapsed because of a terrorist attack. I do not fault him for his reaction on 9-11 when he heard the news. No one knows how they will react to such stunning news, President or not. I hardly think the additional 7 minutes he spent with the schoolkids made any difference, the damage was done. When he heard about this bad news, you can look his eyes, he was so worried, but did not have any idea. This news was so terrible.
Jocelyn Dang
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
You’d think that a person would react crazily after hearing such news like the tragedy that happened on 9/11. But, President Bush reacted rationally and calmly. The people who chastised and argued with President Bush on that day probably had a reasonable reason for doing so, but the President knew that it’d be better to not make everyone flustered. And, today, I think that what he did is much appreciated by the students in that classroom on 9/11. It is certain that 9/11 has affected our country greatly, but as President Bush said, “But remember out of the evil done to America will come good.”
Malhorie Del Rosario
ReplyDelete5th period
I like how President Bush stayed calm when he was giving the speech out in-front of the elementary students. It shows the students that there isn't nothing to worry about everything is going to be fine. I like the quote he said, "But remember out of the evil done to America will come good." it tells people that after what happened on 9/11, good things will come our way.
Destiny Brantley
ReplyDelete5th period
I've never been a person of the political world but I do believe that Bush, being the president of the United States, had to set an example for us, the people. I think that if Bush would have reacted with fear or any other emotion, that most likely would have been the rest of the United States' reaction. Bush, being the president at the time, was the role model, or the icon most Americans lived up to. People critcized Bush because he didn't react at the very moment but what most people didn't understand is that he had to set an example for the children in that classroom that day and I think he made the right decision.
Sheryl Machado
ReplyDelete6th period
One thing I absolutely respect in this article is how the President handled the situation. If I was in FL, during the time of the incident, I probably wouldn't have had a single clue on whats going on. To the second graders, who are now all seniors, I feel bad for them because they put so much effort into the program made, to welcome the president, until the big news struck. "You and I will never forget Sept. 11, '01,". This quote, I think sums up the whole article, telling us even thou hard times come by we shall be together as one country and we shall remember the lost souls and heroes.
Lillian Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
Since the children were so young, they probably did not understand what was going on. They were in the second grade, so you would not expect them to react. Despite all the chaos, President Bush was calm. He could have made the children anxious and scared, but he did not. If President Bush stormed out of the room in a middle of a story with a worried face, the children are going to want to know why is he leaving and why does he look like that. He was a brave man for staying, and it must been hard to stay because he knows that he could do something about it. Even though many people criticize him for not leaving, I believe it was the right thing to do.
Joshua Grayson
ReplyDelete6th period
I believe President Bush handled the situation with the terrorist very well. He did not yell; he did not lose his temper in front of the school children. I have great respect for his reaction. I believe President Bush made wrong the decision in taking the country into war following the 9/11 attack. However, I do believe we did needed to do something about the matter. So the terrorist would know we are not the country to mess with.
Manisha Kunnacherry
ReplyDelete6th period
I think that the president did a good job of remaining calm when he heard the news. If that was me in that position I would have have panicked not knowing what to do, which obviously scare the little second graders, who are now older. I believe the quote, "But remember out of the evil done to America will come good." is a very good quote, especially in this situation.
Franita Colbert
ReplyDelete5th period
Although a plane crashed into the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, I personally think President Bush reacted very calm in spite of the whole situation.I believe that if Bush had acted anything other than calm he might have frightened the children.It might have been harder to explain the situation in a calm manor if President Bush would have reacted otherwise.I dont think I would have explained the whole 9/11 situation any other way' especially to seven year old children.
Rachel Kuruvila
ReplyDelete1st period
This situation is mind blowing. It is so sad how these kids had to experience such a tragic event. Honestly, I believe that this date greatly strengthened us as a country. Before this tragedy, we thought we were bascially untouchable. This taught us a huge lesson! I also think that President Bush did an amazing job the way he kept calm. He set an example for what the rest of America should do. I hope that nothing like this ever happens again, but if it does, at least now we have experience.
Shelby McHenry
ReplyDelete6th
We will remember September 11th, 2001 for the rest of our lives. Wow. I couln't imagine being Mr. Bush at that time. What do you tell a room full of 2nd graders and cameras? It's a great thing Mr. Bush stayed calm during such a time of chaos. It's good that instead of panicking and running out of the class, he stayed and listened to them read 'The Pet Goat'. He set a great example for the entire country and for the school.
Jesna Thomas
ReplyDeleteperiod 6
I believe that George Bush made the right choice in remaining in the classroom and choosing to not set the students to panic mode. I bet at that moment George Bush only thought about the kids and how they would feel if he abruptly left the room while they were reading a story. They probably feel very hurt, and think he was insulting them. Even though I thought declaring war on Iraq was very wrong, it shows that we don't give up.
Brien Benny
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I believe what the president did was the right thing staying calm and not scaring anyone. 9/11 was a scary moment for everyone in the U.S. No one knew what to, but the president had an idea of what to do. There was a lot of results from 9/11. One main thing is that we are more aware now. We have lost a lot of people and heroes due to this attack.
Sydney Wallis
ReplyDelete2nd period
I believe President Bush did a very well job handling the terrorist attack in the situation he was in. He remained calm when he heard the news, he did not lose control, which would have scared the second graders and made a very chaotic situation. I respect our past presidents decision to step up and take charge to protect our country, but in my views there had to of been a more mature reaction to settle this dispute then leading our country to years of pain and sorrow to the families that lose loved ones everyday. I believe there was a better choice than war!
Ronald Propper
ReplyDelete5th period
I believe that President Bush made the right decision by staying in that classroom and remaining calm. I can see why some people might think that it was wrong for him to stay, but staying in that classroom and remaining calm was the right thing to do. I feel sorry for Ms. Daniels and her second grade class. I bet it must have been really hard for her to try to explain a couple of second graders about what just happened. September 11, 2001 was a tough day for America but remember what President Bush said, “out of the evil done to America will come good."
Alex Duong
ReplyDelete5th Period
The President was very noble to act calm so that the children and the people of America can be calm in this extremely stressful situation. Inducing fear would have caused chaos to the general public. To this day, the children will always look back at what happened on that awful day and remember that good will always prevail.
Michael Jhingree
ReplyDelete1st period
The President did have sense not to tell a group of 7 year olds that America was under a threat. That would not only scare them, they will never forget how devastating it was, nor will anyone else in the world forget. The fact that President George W. Bush was very worried about what was going on at that time, he was very mature and calm about the situation when it came to the children's well-being. But they felt like the kids should know about it sooner than they expect it. But the 7 year olds were very sympathetic, and mature about it, which makes them part of the World's History.
Lillian Wang
ReplyDeletePeriod 1
I believe President Bush made the right choice in not leaving the classroom immediately. At such a crucial point in time ten years ago, Bush knew that if he could have courage and continue on, then maybe he could instill some confidence in our panicking nation. Although, it is sad that Ms. Daniels's students had to learn of such horrible things at such a young age. But we all must remember that, as Bush said, "out of the evil done to America will come good."
Marcus Martinez
ReplyDeleteperiod 2
I believe that even if the nation was under attack the president did his job by keeping cool. If he were to panic than the job of the terrorists would have been fulfilled.
Brooke Tankersley
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I agree with Jeffrey Zhou about how smart it was of President Bush to not have left the classroom that he was in when the terrorists came and attacked the US. I'm happy that he thought about how his reaction would affect the people watching him on T.V., the children, and the adults in the room with him. I trust in someone that is confident in themselves, if President Bush panicked I would have wanted to freak out and I would've been confused and nervous about everything thing that was going on. Lastly, I personally believe that it was a wise decision that President Bush and the teacher, Ms. Daniels, did in not telling too much to the second graders about what had just happened while he was reading to them. I believe that President Bush handled things well and took control in a great way.
Kimberly Mendez
ReplyDelete4th period
I think that he did a good decision for staying with the students. If he had panicked during that time of the unfortunate incident; then he would have not only frightened the students but also the whole U.S would have been influenced by his reactions to the horrible news. I think that the president did exemplary role of being the leader. He took charge and kept us calm and under control. 9/11 will always be remembered by those kids in that classroom and how everything changed in a blink of an eye, but also I think we will always remember that dreadful day. We will always remember the fallen heroes, all the souls that perished that day, and the bravery of many.
Tanya Van Zante
ReplyDelete5th period
Wow, the whole situation must have been so shocking at the moment. I can only imagine how confused and scared the students must have been. I honor President Bush in this situation, he definitely did the right thing staying calm and not letting out to much information. I think he did what was best when he stayed in the classroom after he had heard the news. At moments like these the whole country looks up to the president. If President Bush had overreacted even slightly more at the shocking news, America would have probably been thrown into even more devastation. I agree with Bethany, President Bush’s calm reactions probably put America at a bit more ease than we would have been if he had reacted differently.
Zach Smith
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
Bush made the right decision by staying calm. Also, I think it was good that Ms. Daniels and President Bush didn't tell the students every detail of what happened. President Bush acted very appropriately in this situation.
Abel Menezes
ReplyDelete5th Period
I personally believe that Bush made the right decision, because if he had then the students would have panicked, making the situation much more terrifying. I don't remember the attack but still I know it was scary, not just for the people there but for everyone in the world.
Brayden Theriot
ReplyDelete5th Period
I agree with many of my classmates that President Bush did make the right choice by not leaving the class room and startling many people. At that time, President Bush was our leader, someone we look up to, so if he would have started freaking out in front of a class of 2nd graders and the media it would have caused a lot more people to become terrified. It showed that Bush was very understanding of the situation but was able to show true intelligence by not leaving at that time.
Jonathan Winfiele
ReplyDelete6th period
President Bush did the right thing of staying and finishing in the class. If Bush did leave, the kids would have felt bad and they would start to worry what was wrong. Also what could Bush do if he left the school, it wasn’t like he could go and do something. Even if he wasn’t at the school and at the White House, he would have been evacuated to stay out of harm’s way. I hardly remember that day, I was only five, but it was a tragedy not only for us but for the entire world.
I feel bad for those kids on 9/11, because they were so happy that the President was coming to their school for their hard work. Then the attacked happened, but im glad that Bush let the students finish reading to him. I think that was very sweet of him. I am happy that they still keep in touch with each other, because when you leave a school you never know if you're gonna see them again.
ReplyDeleteKelvin Moore
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
To be in that classroom during the time that the president was told of what had happened on 9/11 must have been intense for those 2nd graders. They couldn't fully grasp what was happening at that innocent age of 7, but to see the presidents facial expression after being told of the tragedy more than likely struck fear into the hearts of everyone in the room that day.But Mr. Bush remained calm, didn't panic, and showed leadership for his country during a time of turmoil.
Lindsey Jones
ReplyDelete2ND period
Things like that can change peoples lives quickly in just a few seconds. A few minutes earlier the kids were excited and happy as usual. George Bush was visiting their school which is a honor. Then with the incident on 9/11, turned their lives upside down. Those kids probably only understood parts of what Bush was saying but the adults could tell as soon as he announced it. Everybody's faces that understood were grim. Bush was good not to startled the kids and even adults. He stayed calm and was very wise about that. I agree with Kelvin Moore that he showed true leadership in a time of attack in his country. That takes guts.
Minh Le
ReplyDelete5th Period
I disagree with everyone that criticizes President Bush for staying in that classroom. It was the best way to calm not only for the kids in the classroom, but for the entire nation. I don't think the kids would have understood even if the President had given them the entire truth, for they were only 7 years old. Even though I say this, I fully agree with the adults withholding the informing from the kid. I think that the reaction of the President and the adults were very appropriate and professional.
Ally Travers
ReplyDelete6th Period
Just like the kids in that 2nd grade classroom in Sarasota, I will never forget the moment when I was told that something was wrong. Although my teacher didn't tell our class exactly what had happened just a short hour and a half drive away from our school. In our situation, it was absolutely the right thing for the teachers at our school to do. With many students' parents working in NYC, it would have terrified those children had they told them a plane crashed through a building. I'm sure the parents appreciated it as well because news like that is something they probably wanted to break to their own children rather than someone else doing it for them. In the same way, the President and his staff acted very appropriately as described in this article, because if he hadn't shown his calmness, America would have been all the more hysterical and lost in the entire situation.
Tosin Olabinjo
ReplyDelete4th period
Like many of the people above, I also believe that President Bush made the right decision by staying calm, especially in front of a class of little kids. It set a good example, and it wouldn’t have been good to scare the children like that. Unfortunately because of the attacks on the World Trade Center many kids had to suddenly grow up very fast. Some more than others; the children in that class had to learn about the fact that there are bad people in this world that don’t care about hurting other people. But also, there were other kids whose lives completely changed because one of their parents was killed in the attack. It’s sad that things like this happen.
Maddy Pye
ReplyDelete4th Period
I agree that the president made the right decision by staying calm and in the classroom. It was a good call because if he made any sudden reactions he would have frightened the kids. Like the kids in the classroom I will never forget what happened on 9/11, and I think if my pre-school teacher was frantic it would of scared us a lot more so I think staying calm was the right decision. There would have been no reason to panic and race out of there because it’s not like he could have done much from Florida anyways. Those kids will always be remembered, as will the presidents good response on that tragic day.
Landon Wells
ReplyDelete5th Period
It must have been horrible for everyone on this day. Even though I was alive in this day, I don't remember it. So for me, it doesn’t give me the feelings one would have who actually lived and remember this day fully. Former president Bush had made the wrong decision in some ways from the way I view it. He should have addressed it immediately and have it dealt with the situation before anything super serious would have happened. Although, he had also made the right choice of staying calm before everyone would go into chaos. Is there a way he could have done both without everyone going into chaos like most people would? For it to happen that way, I don’t know if it even could, but it should have.
Patrick Adamczak
ReplyDelete5th Period
As a 5 year old on the "infamous" day of September 11th, 2001 I can barely remember anything that day other than being at Pre-School and being taken home early with my mom very frightened that day. I remember watching the news a lot that week and seeing the tower falling over and over again every morning and asking my mom what the big deal was. She told me that on Tuesday a lot of people died and it was a very bad day for our country. I can remember praying for the families by my self after I said a goodnight prayer with my mom and brother for a few nights. As a small child the attacks of 9/11 had made me grow as a person even though I was only five.
On the other hand those kids in the Florida class room probably remember the day more vividly now than I do, and it probably has a whole lot more meaning to them but all in the same, we all should never forget the infamous day of September 11th, 2001.
Bryce Deadmon
ReplyDelete2nd period
It was a very tragic thing that happened that day that opened all of our eyes. I think George Bush made a very good decision by staying calm while he was in the classroom because, if he were to panic the whole U.S. might have went into panic to. Those children that were in that classroom are now a part of history.
Tojo Malayil
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I feel bad for those children because they were all happy and the next thing you know it turned into sadness. All the adults knew something bad had happened, but didn't want to say anything in the kids. I like the way how the president and every one else in the room stayed calm when he informed the news to them. I remember tiny flashes of the 9/11 on the news and how terrified everyone was. I think if the president went that way in front of the kids i wonder how the kids would have felt.
Jennifer Galan
ReplyDelete6th period
I think the president made the right choice.Plus and to just leave the kids with out an explanation,that would just crush them.I dont remember what happened in 9/11 but for those second grade kids,they have a memory that wont leave them.I feel sorry for those family affected and hope they are doing much better.
Frankie Smith
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I think he did the right thing for those children, so the media shouldn't be pressing on him just because he wasn't here right away (though that would have also been good). I wonder how those children had felt at the time. Confused, a little scared? I would have been, too, if I didn't know what was going on when everything went from happy to dead serious, but it could've been worse: to fully understand what had happened at that age (children shouldn't be burdened with insecurity and fighting and deaths).
Karen Aceval
ReplyDelete6th Period
It's sad how such a happy and joyful day can turn into such a tragedy. I honestly think it was the right thing for Bush to stay calm. If he would've gone crazy, kids would of started crying and the situation would've just been worse. I think if I would've been president of the United States at the moment, my reaction would not have been calm at all, so I admire him for that.
Shivani Doshi
ReplyDeleteperiod 6
I agree with everyone else, that President Bush made the right decision in staying calm when he first found out the news in front of the children. Those children experienced something that no other child in any other class in the US has ever experienced. Most of us when we were that small didn’t know the seriousness of what was happening, but those children did. But they aren’t the only ones..the kids whose parents died on 9/11 also understood more than anyone else and they were affected by it as well which is really sad.
Luke Emery
ReplyDelete5th Period
I must agree with the fact that Bush definitely made the right decision by keeping calm and staying for the presentation with the kids. People can criticize him as much as they want, but the only thing that panicking would have brought would've been the panic of the kids, and of the nation. We needed our leader to be poised and strong.
Joshua Joseph
ReplyDelete6th period
September 11th was a tragic day in American history. However, the event was handled in an overall mature and best manner. Referring back to Chantal Guerrero’s quote, "I think if he would have panicked that was the tone he was setting for the whole country,” The president’s actions were at our country’s best interest. Running out and panicking would have resulted in frantic irresponsible decisions. George Bush did everything he could do in his power to help the victims of September 11th. He is a hero and a good leader.
Ryan Mathew
ReplyDelete6th Period
The President made a great decision staying calm. He had so many thoughts racing through his mind he could have got up and left but when he saw the eyes of the innocent kids in front of him he knew it was wrong. He couldn't panic because he was the President. The children knew him as a strong leader and he showed that in the face of adversity and I think it was a great decision.