Monday, September 13, 2010

GM Volt’s Price Induces Some Sticker Shock

GM Volt’s Price Induces Some Sticker Shock
The Washington Post
By Peter Whoriskey
Wednesday, July 28, 2010; A10

The long-anticipated Chevrolet Volt, General Motors' electric car, will cost $41,000, the company announced Tuesday, leaving consumers to decide whether its environmental appeal is worth a price far above that of similarly sized conventional autos.

Electric-car technology has been around for years, but the high cost to make the vehicles has prevented automakers from producing them for the mass market. The price announcements for the Volt and its electric rival, the Nissan Leaf, have been highly anticipated as a result. Nissan, the only other major manufacturer expected to bring such a vehicle to market this year, said the Leaf will cost $32,780.

GM and Nissan are relying on a $7,500 federal tax credit for buyers of electric vehicles to offset some of the added cost, and they're hoping that the allure of their novel power source will make up the rest.

"The Volt is a game-changing product," said Tony Posawatz, GM's vehicle line director for the Volt, which is expected to hit showrooms in November 2011.

Although the prices are high, enthusiasts say that electric cars can reach a large, untapped market for vehicles with little or no tailpipe emissions.

The Volt can travel 40 miles on its battery charge and an additional 340 miles on a gasoline-powered generator. The all-electric Leaf has a range of 100 miles.

During the 2008 presidential campaign, then-Sen. Barack Obama pledged to put 1 million plug-in vehicles on the road by 2015.

But some analysts said they doubt that electric cars can reach a broad audience in the near term. Hybrid cars took about eight years to reach the million-unit sales mark in the United States, according to Energy Department figures.

"I'm not sure the Volt is going to be a volume vehicle," said George Magliano, director of automotive industry forecasting for North America at IHS Global Insight. "The technology still isn't there to make them cheap. At the end of the day, the consumer pays a hefty premium to make a statement."

To move the industry along and bolster U.S. manufacturing, the Obama administration has put its weight, and billions of dollars, behind an effort to develop electric cars and batteries in the United States.

In developing the Volt, GM is seeking to fulfill its promise to Congress during the government bailout to move beyond gas-guzzlers. The company had been planning the Volt long before it neared bankruptcy last year, however, as an attempt to leapfrog Toyota in the quest for fuel-efficient vehicles.

The president has expressed optimism that automakers will be able to lower the price tag of electric-vehicle technology. Earlier this month, he suggested that major reductions in battery costs, one of the primary reasons electric cars are more expensive, are on the horizon.

"Because of advances in the manufacturing, [battery] costs are expected to come down by nearly 70 percent in the next few years," Obama said at the site of a planned battery factory in Michigan. "That's going to make electric and hybrid cars and trucks more affordable for more Americans."

Both the Volt and the Leaf will cost considerably more than rival gasoline-powered compact sedans, such as the Honda Civic or the Ford Focus, each of which costs under $20,000.

Price is only one potential barrier to mass adoption, however.

Consumers must also get accustomed to plugging the cars in at home. It takes hours to recharge the vehicles, and in the absence of a network of public recharging stations, drivers that run out of juice may need a tow truck.

Both Nissan and GM are planning relatively low production levels at first, especially compared with the more than 11 million vehicles expected to be sold nationwide next year.

GM plans to produce 10,000 Volts next year, and 30,000 in 2012, company officials have said. Nissan has indicated that it will sell about 25,000 Leafs in the United States next year.

As the only two major manufacturers preparing to mass-produce cars that can run on batteries, GM and Nissan are engaged in a debate over price and capability.

On purchase price, the Leaf is significantly less, though the leasing prices are very similar. The Volt will also be available by lease with a monthly payment of $350 for 36 months and $2,500 due at signing, the company said.

"The Chevrolet Volt will be the best vehicle in its class . . . because it's in a class by itself," said Joel Ewanick, vice president of U.S. marketing for GM. "No other automaker offers an electrically driven vehicle that can be your everyday driver, to take you wherever, whenever."

111 comments:

  1. Tyler Morris
    4th period
    I think that the rising cost of oil will eventually get us to overlook the now high cost of an electric car. In the movies, don't they always show some fancy looking car, that runs on electricity? This is because then, and now, electricity is the power of the future. I think that this is a great car design that, witha few modifications can become great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Electric cars have been around for years, but the reason they're not too popular is because they're so expensive. Another drawback is the lack of electric car charging stations, there are a few (mostly in the west) but not many, plus they take hours to charge up again. I don't believe these cars are worth it, come on seriously, who is gonna pay $41,000 for a car that only goes 40 mile on its battery charge before its gas motor kicks in? Unless you have a really short commute (that includes going there and coming back), and I have to stress the really, and don't go places much, this isn't really your car. And to people who say "we're saving gas money", the average car goes 25-30 miles on a gallon of gas. With that being said you don't even use 2 gallons of gas going 40 miles so you save about $4. You can't buy much these days with $4. so they're just not practical to use unless you have a less than 40 mile round trip commute, or you're really THAT convinced you're helping the environment by saving a gallon and a half of gas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mishi Jain
    2nd period

    I think the idea of an electric car is a brilliant idea! We would waste so much less gas, but the one problem is: the price. $41,000 is a lot to pay for a car. It makes sense to pay that much for an electric car because none have been released yet, but during this time of recession do you think that Americans will really have the money to buy a $41,000 car? I don't think so. Right now Americans are trying to save as much money as possible. I agree with Obama that the prices will go down eventually when it becomes more popluar and the technology gets better but that won't be for a while. Another problem is that people would have to get used to plugging the cars at home because it takes hours to charge it. Some people really don't have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Francescha Rundle
    Period 5
    This article was very interesting. I believe that if the two vehicles could help with the environment, then the price would be reasonable. Some downfalls to the cars could be how they could just die in the middle of the road and the super high prices. Even so, I think that if people want to buy eco friendly cars, then they would have to take the responsibility for charging it everyday. I believe that these vehicles will do well in the future even with high prices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Logan Gloster
    Period 4

    I think that if people really wanted to change the world and help our environment, then they would make these cars more available to the public. $41,000 is quite a bit for the average working class American, but that's the problem with good technology; it's so expensive. There's also the problem of supplying power to these "clean" vehicles. They are still going to use electricity that is going to come from plants that burn gasoline to generate power. If they really wanted to be green, then they would make a solar powered car and start really relying on other power sources to improve our planet Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myles Patterson
    4th period

    To me it's not much of a surprise that the Volt debuts in the $40,000 range. Most products start out expensive and as time passes by they slowly drop in price. However, they probably should have made it a little cheaper. Since this is a new aspect of the car, the main question is "why should I spend my money on this when I could just as easily get a more luxurious car for the same price, the same type of car (minus the being run by batteries, of course) or a hybrid car for less?", and having the car be a little less expensive would have been an incentive. Of course there still will be the environmentalists who will come running in packs to get this car. In my opinion, the Leaf might outsell the Volt. It seems slightly more impressive for slightly less money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fifth Period
    I am a tree-hugger and I love the fact that there are better, eco-friendly cars out there. However, there are other, more important issues to think about. The economy is pretty bad right now. Most Americans can't muster up that hefty price. So for now, all the tree-huggers will have to wait for prices to drop. And I hope that when prices are reasonably low, more people will buy those cars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charlene Sigua
    4th Period

    I think an electric car is a great idea, but it does have it's down sides though. The economy right now isn't really in the best shape for a common person to buy one. And probably the price will go down, but to charge the car's battery may take over an hour or so. Also the fact that when the battery has run out of charge, the car just stops. Maybe after they fix a few things, this kind of car would be something many people will use in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that during this kind of economy and that the gasoline prices are getting higher everyday it would be a more efficient way to dive a car using electricity. Even though that it has to be charged after a certain distance and that it costs alot of money it would be the car of the future, and I would give any amount to get that car in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leah Ware
    2nd Period
    It's great that they are going to sell these cars, but for the price how many Americans are going to buy them? I mean, most Americans are trying to save money, and I don't thonk they are going to go and spend it on an elctric car. Especially if they are going to have to get it towed because it can only go 40 miles. I agree with what Joshua said. If $4 can take you as far as the battery of that car, wouldn't you go with a different car? Until the price drops,they might not sell very many of these cars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The price of these types of cars is going to be high for probably the next few years and quite possible longer. It is the same for any new technology. The prices start high and then gradually work their way down. Eventually, with better and more efficient technology, the price of a Volt will be worth the benefits it comes with. I believe that a major deterrent is going to be the high price of electricity. I'm not completely sure but I believe that electricity costs more than gas. So for now, people are probably going to stay with efficient gas cars but the transition to alternative energy cars has started.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Electric-powered cars are great. They'll reduce pollution by a great amount. But with such a high price, I'm not sure if many people will actually buy it. I'm probably being ignorant though. Hopefully the prices do drop as low as Obama has predicted.

    Daniel Thai
    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  13. Abels Koshy
    Period:6

    I think it is a great idea that more car companies are trying to create energy efficient cars. I only thing I’m concerned about is the price of the new Chevrolet Volt. I think that no one is willing to pay 40,000 dollars for a car that can only go forty miles per hour on its battery. More people would want to buy a luxurious car for this high price. If people do start buying these cars, it will be a great advancement for the future.

    Abels Koshy
    Period:6

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stephen Castillo
    6th period
    I think that what the people are saying is true. Electric cars are not as efficient as the cars we have now, for one they are going to be very expensive and by saying that how is the estimated number of 1 million plug-in vehicles on the road by 2015, if no one can afford to buy them.
    Another thing is that where will people get the electricity from when they run out of juice, last time I checked the gas stations sold gas, not electricity. If people chose to take these cars with them on a road trip where are they going to get the energy from if there on the side of the road. The last thing is where would we go if the car broke down, America does not yet have the technology to repair or fix these kind of cars. The only way to fix them would send them back to the dealership and would cost you another four paychecks just to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joseph Asthappan
    2nd Period
    I think that making electric cars are great because they save a lot of gas and oil, but then at the same time the prices are very high and not many people will buy it because their such a high price.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mayur Patel
    Period 4

    I mostly disagree with this article because I wouldn't want to pay so much for a car that runs only for 40 miles and then it has to switch to gas. Not only that but it costs a lot just for that. I think the amount of people buying them will decrease over the years. I personally wouldn't buy this electric car.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Students,
    PLEASE check your posts before sending. I just had to reject FIVE posts that were sent this afternoon for various things such as not putting an apostrophe in contractions (which you really should not use in an educational post/essay), major misspellings of words, not capitalizing "I".

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jenny Chang
    Period 5

    This is a good way to protect our earth, and there will be less air pollution.For now there are still some inconvenience with the car, like the article says that it has to be charged for long hours. I believe that the car will be improved as time goes by. After a while the price will probably drop to a affortable price. People would be willing to buy electric car once the price goes lower.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nick Brouwer (period 2)September 14, 2010 at 4:18 PM

    With the subject of electric cars, there is a give and take. On one hand you do not have to buy gasoline anymore and your helping the environment. On the other hand it's a pretty expensive car and whats their lifespan. If it's only a couple of years, you might not end up saving money. I believe they should hold out on the idea until it can be done efficiently.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that spending billions of dollars on electric cars is a big waste of money. Wouldn't it cost the same to buy a gas powered car? One would have to pay for the electricity to charge the car and then pay again for the gas. Since the nation is already in such a high debt, I wouldn't want the country to spend more money on things that are rather unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anastasia Konik period 1stSeptember 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM

    Reading this article I agree that the idea of having a car that is environment friendly, and electrically powered sounds great! But do to the fact that the electric power does not last nearly as long as our usual gas engines is a big put down. Not to mention how expensive these cars are for the average working class. I go on road trips quite often, and have not yet seen a electric powered gas station for these cars, though I'm sure there are some, there are not nearly enough. That is unless you want to use most of the electric powered battery you have just to get recharged and not travel far. I completely agree that this is a great idea, but maybe not fully invented to the greatest potential. They should keep working on making these cars more efficient and convenient, not to mention a bit less pricey!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Alvin Mei
    2nd Period

    Finally, electrical cars are improved to the point that Americans are willing to buy it. The bad thing is that, electrical cars can take hours to charge, and every minute, the car is taking in a whole bunch of energy, which can lead to a big energy bill. Of course, the "green" people will buy the electrical cars to save the earth from global warming, but other people will not change, because they like cars to use gasoline. Electrical cars to help the earth, but only a little.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They now decide to put battery operated cars on subject? At first it seems like a great environmental way to save the Earth due to less pollution, but think of what the Electric bills would be. It would cost everyone in the United States more money due to the higher Electric Tax, and face it, Americans don't like paying tax now. The idea of this is nice, but the reality is complicated. I think that it might work out in favor for the Earth, it's just I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

    6th Period

    ReplyDelete
  24. Eby Lukose 3rd PeriodSeptember 14, 2010 at 8:21 PM

    I think that energy efficient vehicles are really needed due to global warming, but I don't think these cars will take off. 40,000 for something you can only travel 40 miles on at a time? People are not going to buy this right now, aren't we still in a recession? I think that these cars should be modified to have more mileage and that their prices should be lowered. Maybe then people will start buying them, but these cars probably won't be popularized until a couple of years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ayoub Saber
    4th period

    I think that some cars are a little bit expensive , because the company build it in a good way.But , that's not gonna help the environment.Why would you think that some people spend millions of dollar for a car ? I mean, thats a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gabriel Camera
    6th period
    I think that making a car that you can switch it from gasoline to electricity is pretty smart. But I also think that making stations for people to charge their car is not very smart. It would be a disaster because it takes a long time to charge the car. But if you change the car to gasoline, then you can just go to a gas station. I guess you will have to wait until you get home to charge the car.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think energy efficient cars is a very good idea for our environment today. I think people would buy electric cars if they weren't so expensive. They would have to improve the cars a lot more though. People don't have the time now a days to wait for their car to charge. Many people have to get to places on time. There are many positive and negative effects to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's kind of goofy that someone would spend so much money on something as absolutely pointless as an electric car. Wow, it's good for the environment. Only 40 miles of it per charge, though. If you want to do something really good for the environment, get solar panels on your house.
    Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  29. As Gas prices are exponentially increasing day by day, consumers may have to look forward to buying electrically powered cars. I totally agree with Gabriel Camera; it must take a significant amount of time for the mega battery to charge up. I fear that driving while it is raining could cause sparks in the engine which is extremely dangerous. Using anything that runs on electricity has its own risks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don't agree with spending that much money on a car even if its Earth friendly. Then again, only being able to run 40 miles on battery isn't a whole lot, so we might as well have normal cars that cost less. Also, I'm pretty sure that charging the car would take a lot of electricity. So even if you don't have to pay for gas, you are going to have to pay for electricity. I don't see how this car is going to make a huge difference. So in my opinion this car is nothing, but a waste of money.
    Ann Mathew
    Period 6

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think that making a fuel efficient car is a great idea! Considering the fact of the pollution being poured in this atmosphere everyday can really decrease when the car is made. Also the gas price is rising dramatically so it's a good idea to buy an electric powered car.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Danielle Sherman
    4th Period

    This article was very interesting. The car has its pros and cons. In order to buy this car you need to take the time out and re-charge the battery. It's not like a normal car where you can just re-fill the gas tank, especially if you are in a rush. The car is expensive but for someone that is very economical they may still try to buy it if they want it bad enough. Then on the other hand if we want the whole world to go green we would need lower prices especially in this economy. Then again all these businesses want to make money, which is something they can't do with extreme low prices.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Carolyne Lu
    Period 3

    The fact that people are thinking about saving the environment right now is really good, but honestly, like Josh said, who would pay that much for a car that only goes 40 MPH max, especially in this economy? That's just not very convenient. Also, the money you took to buy this car probably would be equivalent to the money you spend on gas total. Sure, maybe in the future you'll save a lot more money with this electric car, but that's the future, and I'm sure by then there are going to be even better environmentally friendly vehicles that wont' be as expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Alexander Pappan
    Period 5
    I think that this car has great potential. I heard that gas prices might be dropping, so it might not be so bad. Both the Volt and the Leaf run on electricity, but you have to think about the amount of something you need. Now the Volt runs on both elctricity and gas. I believe that that is a very good idea. But with gas prices so high, it could be a bit of a problem

    ReplyDelete
  35. Kaitlyn Trei
    Period 6

    I can't believe that this car would be so much money. I don't think that I would ever buy this car because of that. This car wouldn't be such a good idea because you would have to charge it every night and worry that you didn't charge it enough. Sure it would save you money,help the environment, and we wouldn't have to use up so much gas. But will it still be great after you have had it for a couple years?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Bailey Banks
    6th Period

    This idea is definitely better said than done, it is not even worth talking about in today's economy. The idea itself is great, but not when you think about all of the strings that will be attached. These electric cars would not be ideal for a 48 hour road trip, when you have to worry about the battery dying all of the time. Today people are just taking what they can deal with for the most reasonable price and honestly when people go to buy cars who thinks about the enviornment? It's not right, but it's the truth. The manufacturers of the GM Volt are going to be disappointed in the success of this one unless money trees start growing very soon, then we could talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Danielle Uy 5th PeriodSeptember 16, 2010 at 4:13 PM

    The idea of bringing an electric car to the auto industry seems quite insignificant. Considering the economy is down, there are many foreclosures & people are getting laid off, its not the best idea right now. I love being ecofriendly, but the price of that car is too high as well! Especially since the car is only going 40 MPH, that blows. From my sister's experience with a Smart Car, it's not the brightest idea to go ecofriendly. The car also went 40 MPH, but it shook a lot and even stopped in the middle of the road. On the other hand, one may save a lot, but is it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lillian Cancino
    3rd Period
    I think that 41,000 dollars for a car is too much money, especially for a car that will only run 40 miles on it's battery. I think that they had the right idea in trying to go green, but electricity also needs to be conserved. People are always complaining that cars waste too much gas, and that the gas prices are not cheap. Well when they come up for a way to save money on gas, it's still not the best idea because electricity is also a tight thing at the moment. I wonder if they ever thought about what will happen when the power goes out? If you have electric powered vehicles, you would need to charge them in order for the battery to keep running. This here could be a problem. In general, I think that GM and Nissan are doing good in trying to come up with ways to make more cars. I just hope that they won't make them too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I believe that the electric car department will not become popular right now. The Leaf and Volt are good ideas that would help the environment, but in reality 10,000 cars will not make much of a difference in our emissions. The inconveniences of owning a electric car also come into play. A hundred miles is more than the average american drives each day, but recharging it will be hard. If you are not in your home you would have to follow a specific path that lets you recharge your vehicle on long trips. This might increase travel time by an hour or longer. The price tag is too steep to be adopted by the masses. Even without the economy's problems is 41,000 worth an electric car? When you can get a Toyota Pruis that gets 40 miles per gallon? The price needs to come down and practicality to step up for this to be a viable option. Also consider that while you buy a 41,000 dollar car this year, two years from now there will be a vehicle that can go 250 miles on electricity and cost 30,000. -Ryan Haines Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  40. Raphael Laran
    5th Period

    It is true that gasoline using cars do cost less than electric cars, but gasoline will eventually be gone. Gasoline also does cost a lot and it will build up if a person doesn't have enough money to keep up. I think electric cars are the way to go, but I suggest that people should by it when oil (gasoline) almost runs out and electric cars don't cost as much. But life would be so much easier if scientists would try to find a way to use water as a source of energy a car can use to operate. Or maybe a car uses solar energy, but that type of technology is a hundred years away.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Jessica Dove
    5th Period
    I think that Electric cars would be really popular if they weren't so expensive. A lot of people want to save money, but buying a really expensive car isn't really saving them any.
    Another draw back, besides the cost, is the limited number of charge stations. What if you're on a really long road trip and you run out of charge? You would have to ride in the tow truck until you can get your car charged again. That doesn't sound like any fun.
    If there were more charge stations and the cars weren't so expensive I think that a lot more people would buy electric cars.
    They're good for the environment and save you money. Why wouldn't someone want that?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Cortney Corley
    4th Period
    I thought that this article was very interesting because it shows how the country is trying to progress. I think that electric powered cars are a really good idea and they are probably worth the money. Of course they have their cons like the price and charging it, but it will most likely be worth it because you wont have to pay as much for gas and it wont pollute. But people may wonder how long these cars last and like Basil said, what happens if it rains? Also, it may seem like a hassle to have to charge it, but when cars first came out, people probably thought it was a hassle to have to get gas a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the idea of an enviromentaly friendly car, but I don't like the high prices. Althought it is a lighter weight on Mother Nature, it will take some time to get use to. I think until they make the cars more affordable, that's when they will catch on. I do like the idea of a tax break, but how does it compare to the high electricity bills. Plus, while being enviromentaly friendly you run the risk of running out of juice. While other cars you just drive to the gas station, in this car you have to find someplace with an electrical plug. I think until the prices get lower and the country has adjusted to it, then that will work.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Jay Shah
    6th Period
    OK, I don't hate the idea of these cars, but I think that 41,000 dollars for a car that can only drive forty miles with its electricity powered generator, and another 340 with gasoline powered generator. This car is useless unless you are going to like a store 3 miles away or so. Then there is the responsibility of plugging it in. Like if you go to a grocery store, come back, you HAVE to plug it in. SO you have to put it in your garage most probably. And if you have a one car garage, and like a really nice Mercedes or something, then you have to park that outside, which can be dangerous depending on what neighborhood you live in. So, I am not much of a fan of buying a 41,000 dollar car, and not being able to use it in long drives or road trips where it matters more. I think electric cars should only be mass produced after a more convenient way to use them is found.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Emily Panozzo
    Period 4

    My opinion is that this whole idea is ridiculous. Yes, right now people of the world are concerned about energy conservation and waste reduction but the makers of this car have got to be kidding. As far as I'm concerned, most people won't want to worry about things like charging a car every night. I think that the only people who will want this car are the ones who have a lot of money and have seen all the possible problems that could occur on earth. Even then, the car is too much money and too much work. Things like this annoy me because one would think that after all the years put into making a "gas-less" car, a simple solution would have been invented. Yet, researchers and builders haven't even gotten a quarter of the way there. I don't know, maybe this is really hard, but all of this waiting doesn't seem right.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Samantha Martin
    4th period

    I think an electric car is a great idea. This car will reduce pollution and help clean the Earth's atmosphere. Even though this car is a brilliant thing, it is quite expensive and our economy isn't at it's best right now, so barely anyone will be able to purchase it. It's sad really. I hope in the future this car will become more affordable because it would be great for the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  47. John Gann
    4th period

    I think these electric cars are a good idea. They are good for the environment and help us live stronger and longer. I would recommend buying the chevy because it is American made and helps our economy. Your family fought to bring you here. Help yourself and keep your tradition going, of wanting and being to be a proud American.

    ReplyDelete
  48. 5th
    As much as I love the fact that these motor companies are trying to help the environment, they are going to have to think about the money sometime. Not only will they go bankrupt trying to come up with these efficient vehicles, but so will the consumer who has to pay these hefty fees. They also have the electricity availibility problem where companies will have to make recharging stations otherwise people will break down on the side of the road. There are good intentions in place, but I don't think this idea will work.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Jade Martin
    4th period
    I think the idea of an electric car is nice. The plug ins on the highways will take time and money but they will be worth it in the long run.Especially if the car becomes very popular. It's also saving the environment at the same time so many things benefit from this change.

    ReplyDelete
  50. An electric car is a very good idea. This would save American's a lot of money on gas. The bad thing is, plugging the car in every night to let it charge. Another bad thing is if you were to go on vacation, how would you charge the car?
    Also, $41,000 isnt what I would want to pay for a car. Yes, it is a good car to have because it'll help with the economy, but it's not the type of car I would like.

    Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  51. Riquerra Broadnax (Period 2)
    I think the car dealers are very smart for their high prices on motorized vehichles but at the same time they're very dumb because only the very rich can afford those prices but they are also loosing the rest of their custumers because of their high prices.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Samantha Twardowski
    3rd period
    The general idea of the enviromental car is very smart, but when you get down to the details of the idea then the car has some major issues. One major issue is that the car is overly priced. Right now with the economy it is very hard for some people to efford an expensive car and if they want to improve the enviroment then they would make it cheaper so more people could buy it. Also another issue with the car is that it has a charger. It would be very hard to have to charge your car when you are on vacation. To sum everything up I would say that the general idea of the car is fantastic but I think it might be a while for the car to b a perfect enviromental car.

    ReplyDelete
  53. 5th Period

    Electric cars are the future of the automobile industry. I think that it is a great idea that we get away from using fossil fuels that can emit fumes into our atmosphere that are dangerous to our planet. It will take some getting used to, but we can all make adjustments to help the planet. The cost of the cars seems a little high right now, and that is probably because it costs a lot to make them and our auto industry is used to make cars that run on fuel. Once the industry adjusts to manufacturing batteries and stuff like that, I think this will be the new car of the future. I like the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Nick Grieger
    2nd period

    When Obama said that 1,000,000 of these new electric cars will be on the street by 2015, I believe he was over exaggerating. Yes, these cars are partly ran on electricity, but there are setbacks. Examples would include the ticket price of the car compared to other vehicles not run on electricity and your electricity bill will skyrocket if you have to plug it in everyday. This is one of the major problems that they have with this new invention.

    ReplyDelete
  55. John Moore
    6th
    I disagree with Tyler that raising the cost of oil will make people overlook the price of a new electric car. This raising of gas and oil will just cause people to decide to move or just get mad with the government and oil companies, it might also make them want to ride a bike to work which in the suburbs might not be possible. The price of the Volt is shocking to me but not really that surprising as the economy is doing better and inflation is rising and to compete with the "smart car" which is really just a golf cart battery Jerry rigged to a car they make a car that probably cost 29,000 dollars to make but since this is America and we want a profit we raise the cost to 41,000 dollars just to make our lives a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Nicolas Alba
    Period 2
    I think it is great that more car companies are trying to create energy efficient cars. What I am worried about is the high prices of the Chevrolet Volt. I don't think anyone would be willing to pay 40,000 dollars for a car that can only go forty miles per hour on its battery. People would rather buy a luxurious car for this high price. If people do start buying these cars, it will be a great advancement for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Tyler Powers 5th period.
    The Volt for 41k it is not as much as it sounds. There are several high end manufactures that have electric cars, such as Telsa, but the Volt is the first one to be aimed the average Americans to buy. I understand the point of electric cars, to try to stop using fossil fuels. But, at the same time most people who buy this car are still going to use coal to charge it at their houses. So in this case the whole point of electric cars is based on ideas that really still have the same impact as gasoline or diesel. But of course the Volt will make sense in one way, which are people who either charged it by solar generators or wind power. This would both be smart in the way we don’t use any fossil fuel product and that it is not polluting any harmful pollutants in the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  58. This push of electric vehicles has been waited a bit too long. Several people believed that electric vehicles would populate the streets by 2010 due to rising gas prices, but of course that idea was truly proven wrong. People still have gas cars, even though $3 to $4 prices for every 9/10 gallon of gas were 'supposedly' meant to scare people from buying more internal combustion engine cars. Still, the automakers are making a decent push to electric, but it could have been better. The technology still used by electric vehicles now were engineered in the 1990's, mainly lithium-ion batteries, and there has not been much of an improvement with electric cars until now. The Chevy Volt and the Nissan Leaf could have even came out years before now, but of course the car companies had better things to do such as manage their profit, and their debts. Well, this is better than nothing as gasoline will eventually run out to the growing population, though there are several oil deposits in Canada and other places, and the technology used to prepare for such a future is decent enough, for now. Despite the prices, Barack Obama is right regarding lesser sale values in the future due to the incredible power of technology and how it is outdated within a blink of the eye. I can see some people, mainly environmentalists who fear the impending doom of global warming, buy these cars despite prices just as they bought hybrids when they came out for $40,000 too. Who knows, maybe this push of electric vehicles to 'save the earth' will entice more people to buy Chevy or Nissan cars, but not much can be said right now.
    -3rd Period

    ReplyDelete
  59. Ranaill Davis
    5th period

    I think that electric ran cars are a good investment. Even though they take a lot of money to make it's still a smart idea. Since it takes a lot of money to make it's only right that they are sold for a good price to make a profit off of them. I would love to see more of these cars on the road next year and might even want to own one. I believe that one day electric cars will be as popular as “Toyota” or “Ford.”

    ReplyDelete
  60. KAYLAH MOORE P.3

    I also think that it's great that automobile companies are trying to make more bio friendly vehicles. But the problem is, is that they aren't efficient in any way what so ever: People have to pay about 40k for a car that can only be driven for up to 100 miles. And how much energy does it actually take to charge those cars? Are they even using a bio friendly source for energy to charge the cars? The real question is, are they even bio friendly or are these new and upcoming hybrids just taking up space?

    ReplyDelete
  61. Dawud Waddell
    2nd period

    In my opinion I have to say that this is a bad idea because it will cost the price of electricity to go up because they require a certain amount of energy. Another bad thing is if you forget to recharge it than you could get stuck in the middle of nowhere .The good thing about it is that it will cause the gas prices to go down for the people who will still have a gas car and the amount of pollution to go down because less cars on the road will require gas.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Dylan Allotta
    5th

    Eventually, there will not be enough oil to sustain the amount of gasoline powered cars there are today. So the electric car, or cars with alternate energy sources will be needed in most likely the near future. Cars like the Volt and Leaf are great head-starts for the companies who will be providing electric cars to people in the future. It is important to have this technology. People don't realize that there are some things in the world today which would be difficult without the use of oil. (I.e. oil for cars, greases, ext.) Once we run out of oil, we run out of oil. And a huge contender for causing this problem is gasoline powered cars. The sooner electric cars become popular, the more oil we will have left for other things in life which there are no other alternatives for. The electric car is an important part of not only America's future, but also the future of other oil dependent countries.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Michael Brennan 3rd periodSeptember 19, 2010 at 8:43 AM

    I think that the idea of electrical cars is great for everyone but we are not far enough in technology for them to be successful yet. If the car can only go 40mph then nobody is going to buy this because you need to go a lot faster on most roads.Another thing that they need to work on is the price. The need to get the price of the materials down so that it is more affordable for everybody to buy. If they can fix those two problems then I can see electric cars moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Richard Kimbrell
    6th Period

    This isn't a very good idea. Why would you want to switch to something that isn't economical? It takes hours to recharge an electric powered car. Gas prices may be going up, but it is still better to drive a gas powered car than an electric powered car. I just got back from San Marcos and it's a 160 mile drive to get there. I wouldn't go very far with the Volt on electricity and the Leaf wouldn't get me there either becuase it only goes 100 miles. This isn't helping anything. People will not be able to afford their electric bills because it will be through the roof before they know it. If you want to go spend ur money on something that isn't helping anybody then go ahead, but when your bill is extremely high, don't come crying to the people who drive gas and diesel vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Chaz Talab
    3rd period

    I think that the electric car is a very good idea. They say that today the electric car is expensive, but so was the first car that came out too. I think that we should just give it time and soon enough the electric car will in fact be cheap and efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Victoria Hackney
    2nd Period
    I think that they idea behind having an electric car is great but right now the car itself is not so great. The price is just way to high for just another car, and only being able to go 40 miles on a fully charged car is just ridiculous. I don't think that having to plug your car in every night, or just plugging it in, in general is going to be a big hassle to people. What would be the hassle is, having to wait and have it fully charged just to go to work. Another issue with the car is what happens when you are going on a road trip, or even just driving down to the beach for the day? The article even stated that there are not many car charging stations, so how are you supposed to get around only being able to go for such a short distance at a time.
    The idea behind the car is good, but like most things that first come out, there are some major improvements that need to happen before the car becomes something the general public is going to be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Azim Hemdani Period 2

    I think that electric vehicles are both good and bad because in some cases they will provide more and in some cases they will provide less electric cars can give more mileage than a gasoline powered car. That was a plus point but a negative point would be that you have to charge the car when you get home for a while and you never know when you might need to go somewhere and have your car with you. Even though electric cars are not perfect I consider them to provide help to people. People should buy them because they are cheaper than most cars. If people do not like it they can tell other people not to buy them and that way people can back to buying the regular gasoline powered cars. It’s on the people and there views on the cars that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Chris Bready
    6th period
    I agree with Chaz. Cars are always expensive when they first come out. If you really want it just wait a year or two for the prices to go down. It is good for the ecosystem, and will slow down the use of oil in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Amber Tunstall
    4th period

    I don't know much about cars. I think that we should try to make cars that don't destroy the environment. If we keep using the cars we have, then the environment will become so polluted it will be impossible to live. If we use electric cars we can slow down the rate of pollution. They may be expensive now, but I think that it's a fair price for us and our descendants to live in a clean and breathable world.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Melvin Valimattathil
    6th period

    I don't really like the new volt car.I would not spend $41,000 on a car that goes 40 miles.
    If you car loses battery what will you do?
    So its better just to have a gas car, you can simply just take it to a gas station.

    ReplyDelete
  71. 5th Period

    I've been waiting for a blog like this to be posted. This car is ridiculous and I think Obama is ridiculous if he wants to spend peoples money on something that is completely not worth buying. How much does he think it is going to cost to improve this automobile? Back to the car, it's dumb how the car only gets like 40 miles on one charge and then has a back up engine that goes over 300 miles on a full tank. It's pointless the people who buy this spend double the amount of money as the equivalent (The car without the electric part) its the same thing. I understand that some people want to save the Earth and all but, only going 40 miles on one charge then having to switch back to gas again is completely pointless. I agree with Josh Conner 40 miles is not much what if where you work is 30 miles away you won't have enough of a charge to get back. This car is a waste of money and ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Prerna Kamnani
    4th Period

    The electric car is a great idea. We would save gas and be more environmentally friendly. The only problem is the price. Forty thousand dollars is way too expensive for someone to pay for a car. It is even more difficult to buy a car for that price during the recession time. For an average citizen, it is hard to afford. Also, it will be an adjustment to remember to charge the car every night. I agree with Obama that the price will eventually decrease. Hopefully, these cars will be more affordable and everyone will be able to be more green.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Amita Batra
    3rd Period

    An electric car is a great idea. However, I agree with Mishi Jain. People at this time are trying to cut costs. People are getting laid off and the automobile industry is not doing too great at this time. People probably wouldn't pay too much for a car. However, if a lot more companies release electric cars, the price will gradually decrease. Eventually, electric cars will probably be the product that hold the automobile industry together, but at this point in time, the Chevrolet Volt probably won't be a big seller.

    ReplyDelete
  74. This article was very intresting. I think it's a good idea to make an electric car, but it would be very expensive. You'll have to charge it, and what not. But anyways like Chaz said, when they made the first car ever, it was expensive. So yeah, I think we just need to give it some time. And like any car, there are pros and cons.. With this car, you'll have to wait a while to charge it, and by charging it, you're paying way more money for the electric bill.. And for the normal car, gas prices always go up. Plus it's not the greatest for our environment.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Tommy Settlemyre 3rd periodSeptember 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM

    People like to make a difference. They think that by using electric cars instead of gas-powered cars, they will make a difference to save the environment. What people do not realize is that most electricity comes from burning coal or other fossil fuels. Electric cars are just as bad for the environment as other cars are, because they all get power from the combustion of fossil fuels.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Jeffrey Jhingree
    4th period

    I think that electric cars would be a good idea. It would cut down on pollution in the United States. The bad things about these cars are that you would have to charge it when you get home and there are not many charging stations. Also it is very expensive. So yes this car is good for the environment and many people might think that it is a good idea and might want it, but it is not the type of car that I would want.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Ashley White
    5th period
    I think electric cars are just going to be a waste of time to make. People don’t want to spend all that money to save like five dollars. Some people will buy the cars, but they will not become a mass produced car. But if they do become mass produced we will need public electric charging station, and that just going to cost us even more. I think we should just stick with car that use less gas like hybrids and not us all electric cars.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Aileen Nguyen
    Period 3

    The production of an electric car is a great way to become more ecofriendly. However, I would not be one to purchase that type of car at its current stage and high price. If the car can only go up to 40 miles in one battery charge, then the amount you pay for it would be somewhat of a waste. Not to mention it also contains a gasoline-powered generator, which would mean that one would still have to purchase gasoline in order for the car to travel farther. Maybe if the price was lowered and the number of miles traveled on a single battery charge was higher, more people would consider buying the car.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Courtnei Coleman 5th periodSeptember 19, 2010 at 2:25 PM

    I think that an enviornmental friendly car would be a great help in saving the Earth but the prices of the car isn't very good at the moment, we are currently in a recession and might be in it for a couple more years. The car would be excellent because of the decrease in pollution but the fact that it will only be able to go 40 miles at a time isn't a good thing when trying to get everything you pay for. We might as well keep the cars we have because they will do more than these cars.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Kenneth Pranoto 2 period
    I think that this is a good idea to have an electric cars that only cost 41,000 dollars. If this really happens we could stop polluting the earth with natural gas. The electric car seems easier to fill the tank up just with electricity. I think they should put this car on the market.

    ReplyDelete
  81. 4th period
    I think that the eco-friendly car isn't a bad idea, but it's too expensive. That's the problem with the majority of the eco-friendly products and methods coming out, they're just not reasonable. They tell you that it's expensive when you first get it, but you'll get your money back over time; which is true. Well, the majority of the people I know, including my family, can't afford to splurge that one time, and slowly get our money's worth over time.

    ReplyDelete
  82. 6th period.

    What I think is that the idea of electric cars both has its ups & downs. Like consumers who buy electric cars would be helping the environment but also, it would be wasting electricity. I agree with those people who said that if you had to go drive to somewhere like, Florida, for a vacation, then how are you suppose to charge your car? I doubt that there will be many charger stations that will be around that first year or so. Also, the other down side is, that electric car would be $41,000. It’s a good product but it’s really expensive. I would have to wait to see the car actually come out to judge it.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Dane Gantt
    Period2
    I think that due to rising oil and gas prices, people will have no problem spending an extra $20,000 on an electric car, because eventually prices will get so high that no one will need to decide whether they want to buy gas or not. They will buy an electric car that should provide them with easier fuel to obtain (electricity obviously) and that will be all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Neethu George
    3rd period

    I think that energy efficient cars are a great way to lower global warming. But it has a price of $40,000 and only a gas mileage of 40. Also, people are in a recession and wouldn't have enough money to buy these cars. We should wait a little bit for the cars to be cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Saimol Edaparampil
    3rd period
    I think that the idea of an electric car is a good idea however the bad part about it is that the company is asking too much for the car even though they had to put in a lot of money to make a energy efficient car. I don't think that a average American is going to be willing to buy an electric car for $41,000. Maybe we'll see it in the future but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  86. 5th period.

    I think that having an electric car is a wonderful, and cunning idea, but to have to pay 40,000 dollars to be able to drive 40 miles is downright absurd. While not having to pay for gasoline is nice, you still have the added cost of a higher electricity bill. Plus who's to say that the "power stations" needed, because, of course, you can only travel 40 miles, won't create an added tax for people that don't have an electric car. And won't there be a cost for the power station's electricity? The thought of having an environmentally friendly car is great, but maybe America should wait for all the "ifs" to clear up, before paying 40,000 dollars for a car with a lot of added costs.

    ReplyDelete
  87. Erica Barrera
    5th period
    I think having electric cars is a great idea. It would help our environment. We would have clean air. But I wouldn’t pay for a car that gets me nowhere. The price of the cars is way too high. If they fix it to where you can travel more than 40 miles with the car charged then I’d buy it at a high price. There is no way that I’m going to buy a car at a high price but only goes 40 miles charged. I’d like to see someone buy these cars at their price.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Grace Bonojo
    4th period


    I think that an electric car is a very good idea because it doesn't use gas. We use so much gas and cause a significant amount of pollution and global warming. Now there's an alternative that could mean a better impact in the future of the next generation. I understand that this vehicle is going to have its drawbacks but in the end it'll be worth it to know that we can say "Yeah I bought an electric car and helped reverse the effects of global warming."

    ReplyDelete
  89. Shahab Khorshidpanah 6th periodSeptember 19, 2010 at 5:59 PM

    Shahab Khorshidpanah 6th period

    The electric car can be good in a few reasons and also be bad. The bad part is that it only goes 40mph which can be hard to drive on freeways. The good part is that its good for the environment and if your only going down the street or going to the grocery store you wouldn't have to use your gas. Its not a big deal about the charging part, because you can just charge it overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Lloyd Farley (2nd Period)September 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

    With the progression of the technology I am sure it will get cheaper. I don't think this could completely remove the need for gas but maybe the dependency. There will always be construction equipment and such that will need allot of horse power.

    ReplyDelete
  91. Andremarie Jean
    4th Period

    I think that the electric car is a very good idea. I think that if we work even harder to get it out their on the road. Then we will see people driving electric cars sooner then we think. Also that the price of the electric car shouldn't matter. What should matter is trying to have a better environment and avoid using up a major natural resource that we have.

    ReplyDelete
  92. Ashley White 5th periodSeptember 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM

    I think electric cars are just going to be a waste of time to produce. People don’t want to spend more money to save just a little. Some people will buy the cars but they will not become a mass produced car. If they do become mass produced, we will need to convert numerous electric charging stations from gas stations. That will cost more than the gasoline reduction will save. I think I would stick with cars that use less gas like hybrids and not use all electric cars.

    ReplyDelete
  93. Kerri Kennedy
    4th period.
    I think that electric cars are a good idea. However, due to the economy and the price of the car, the average person will not the able to afford it. I don’t think they will be very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  94. Ryan Myers
    6th period

    I believe that electric cars would be great for our economy, although we all would hate to pay $41,000 for a car we would be saving our enviroment.Also if eventually enough people convert to electric cars they would outrun all the gas car companies.

    ReplyDelete
  95. Keelie Steinke
    5th Period

    I, personally, think that putting electric cars out on the road is not the best idea. You may think that getting an electric car would be a lot less money that you would have to spend on gas. But think about it, all the money that you think you are saving, is actually going right into the electric bill. You would still have to pay for the time that you keep the car charged. And also, not many people are going to remember to charge their car every single night, so you would end up waking up to a non charged car, and wouldn’t make it wherever you were trying to go.

    ReplyDelete
  96. Ann Lobo
    5th period

    To me, electrical cars are a good idea, mainly because of the environment. I know that it may sound over priced at first, but that's because it just recently came out. Almost everything that recently comes out and is pretty big of a deal becomes over priced at first. Eventually in the future, these cars will become less expensive, and people will start to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  97. Ervin Ricasio
    5th Period

    I think having electric cars is a good idea. It would be new to some people. It will prevent air pollution. For regular cars, people have to pay so much for gas, because gas prices keep getting higher and higher. It is fast to put gasoline in a car, but it will take a long time to charge a car. Even when you are in a rush and your electric car hasn’t been charged. There are both bad and good things about having an electric car. Once they make a few changes to the car, people will be more interested in buying them.

    ReplyDelete
  98. Ervin Ricasio
    5th Period

    I think having electric cars is a good idea. It would be new to some people. It will prevent air pollution. For regular cars, people have to pay so much for gas, because gas prices keep getting higher and higher. It is fast to put gasoline in a car, but it will take a long time to charge a car. Even when you are in a rush and your electric car hasn’t been charged. There are both bad and good things about having an electric car. Once they make a few changes to the car, people will be more interested in buying them.

    ReplyDelete
  99. Ok to be honest I was confused from the start of this article but I kind of understand it a little bit. First off, if you made a battery powered car wouldn't it need to have a charger? Which means that where ever you go you may need to take the charger just in case which isn't pretty good if you don't want to take it everywhere. Second off, why rush to make and sell the car now? If it's so expensive people might not want to buy them. They would probably wait until they can sell the cars for a cheaper, less expensive price.

    ReplyDelete
  100. Arvin Rodil
    1st Period

    Electric cars are a thing of the future. I don't think that future is now. There's still a lot of things to consider. 40 miles on electric power right? Sounds good. But what if you're going on a long drive? You're barely an hour into the drive and you're already switching to the gas-powered motor. So yeah it'd make a good town car but Americans these days want a car that can do it all considering the recession, all under a reasonable fuel mileage. So for me, I don't prefer an electric car because of these faults.

    ReplyDelete
  101. Jr Zolayvar
    6th period

    Electric cars won’t be storming the street anytime soon; I mean they just aren’t that practical. The “Leaf” can get you stuck on the side of the road in a matter of 100 miles. The “Volt” is much more reasonable although it is much more expensive. The fact that they have to charge is a downfall, say you just came back from a road trip and someone you know need you for an emergency, you might have to wait until your car is charged enough for you to drive it and by that time you might be too late. Although they do drive “cleaner” I don’t expect electric cars to be mass produced until the 2030’s.

    ReplyDelete
  102. K'Vonna Johnson
    5th period

    I think that this was a very interesting article to read.Only because I like the fact that it is an environmental friendly car.But it may be better to use gasoline than electricity because what if the car dies because it had been over worked. If you used gas,it would probably be a better source to use even though it is not helping the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  103. I believe that this whole electric idea is good but there are many flaws about this that won't allow it to reach its one million mark. Not even close actually. The first major flaw is that the price is too expensive,our economy is still doing bad and many people won't be able to afford this high price. Also the distance each car is able to travel isn't very far. This will take its toll on families going on vacations or traveling to distant destinations. Overall I don't believe this idea and plan will bee successful.

    Betty Ponce
    3rd period.

    ReplyDelete
  104. Jaison Mathew
    4th Period

    Surprisingly, this subject interested me. I actually did some quick research comparing the Nissan Leaf and the Chevrolet Volt. The Volt actually isn't truly an electric vehical, because after 40 miles, it switches to a gas engine. The gas engine doesn't actually drive the wheels though; It powers a generator which recharges the lithium-ion batteries. The Nissan Leaf however, only drives 100 miles before needing a recharge since it is fully electric. I also found out that when buying a Nissan Leaf, you will also need to install a charging station in your garage. It also takes 8 hours to fully charge on a 220/240V. A regular outlet, which is a 110/120V, will also work but will also take longer than the 220/240V. They're also working on designing a 480V charger for a quick charge.
    To me, the Nissan Leaf would be a better buy if there were common charging stations. Sadly there aren't, meaning the Volt is a better buy since you can fill it up with gas if the battery becomes weak. The Leaf would be great for small commuters who live close by their work place. But most Americans, including my dad, couldn't go to work and back without recharging while he was working. I'm sure most of you will agree with me when I say the Volt is pretty expensive, especially in these times. I don't think electric cars are going to catch on until they can make them cheaper, last longer, and build many charging stations.

    ReplyDelete
  105. Justin Johnson
    6 period
    I am very certain that auto technology will improve over the years. I'm also excited to see the United States of America competing with Japan to see who will be the leader of the 21 century. Let me start by saying, America has been buying more products than selling and making combined. We must improve our auto technology and lower the cost of cars so we can sell all around the world. I really think investmenting in our auto industry will boost this economy to a great stand point. I would be proud to see on my electric car's battery saying, "Made in Amrica".

    ReplyDelete
  106. Jae Phan 4 pd

    Personally, I don't think electric cars are such a great idea right now. It seems so expensive just to make the car, imagine how much gas and materials it takes to make a Volt. Wasting those materials does not benefit the envoirement. When these cars are able to be manufactured in a cheaper and evoirmentally safer way, it would be worthy buy.

    ReplyDelete
  107. Katrina Gasataya
    2nd Period

    I think both cars are a great idea, but then again it's the price range that would probably get to people. Other than the price of the car itself, I do still think it's a good idea to have these cars out. It's pretty convenient that people wouldn't have to save up so much for gas. It shows how technology has improved throughout the years. People who are tech savvies would find these efficient for their uses. One of the major downfalls of the cars is the loss of gas buyers. It would probably result in gas price increase. That's never fun to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  108. Deara Mayo
    5th period
    I think that it's great that they are making these cars. It's just that they are a bit expensive.I'm all for going green and everything. Not everyone has 30,000 to 40,000 dollars to spend on a car no matter how much they want to save the environment. Maybe they should lower the price just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  109. Electric cars have been around a long time. This is not a new idea. The main problem for the public is cost. If the government wants to go green, they need to make electric cars more affordable. The GM Car is more then the Nissan car. However both are more then the middle class American wants to spend. They are also inconvenient. There are not a lot of places in America to plug in, and you still have to buy gas. The one thing that the BP incident did show was that oil is not friendly for the environment and it will not last forever.

    Marcus Levine
    4th

    ReplyDelete
  110. Sean Nelson
    3rd Period

    I think that converting to electric cars is a great investment. We are slowly running out of gas in the world, so we need to find another way to power our cars. Even though the electric cars can't travel that far, they are still a good thing to have. They are just starting to be made so obviously they won't be top notch yet. The price will also go down when they start going into mass production.

    ReplyDelete
  111. 3rd period
    I think it is great that they are finally starting to make another source of fuel for cars. I disagree with people that say the car will never catch on because of the high price. But I think the money saved in the long run from gas will eventually win people over. I think it is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete