Monday, January 24, 2011

Panel Says Women Should Be Allowed In Combat Units

Panel Says Women Should Be Allowed In Combat Units  Associated Press
January 14, 2011

WASHINGTON (AP) — Women should finally be allowed to serve fully in combat, a military advisory panel said Friday in a report seeking to dismantle the last major area of discrimination in the armed forces.

The call by a commission of current and retired military officers to let women be front-line fighters could set in motion another sea change in military culture as the armed forces, generations after racial barriers fell, grapples with the phasing out of the ban on gays serving openly.

The newest move is being recommended by the Military Leadership Diversity Commission, established by Congress two years ago. The panel was to send its proposals to Congress and President Barack Obama.

It is time "to create a level playing field for all qualified service members," the members said.

Opponents of putting women in combat question whether they have the necessary strength and stamina. They also have said the inclusion of women in infantry and other combat units might harm unit cohesion, a similar argument to that made regarding gays. And they warn Americans won't tolerate large numbers of women coming home in body bags. Those arguments have held sway during previous attempts to lift the ban.

Congress recently stripped the "don't ask, don't tell" ban on gays serving openly, and the Navy changed its rules over the last year to allow women to serve on submarines for the first time. Women are barred from certain combat assignments in all the services but face the broadest restrictions in the Army and Marines.

Anu Bhagwati, a former Marine captain and executive director of the advocacy group Service Women's Action Network, said the prohibition on women in combat "is archaic, it does not reflect the many sacrifices and contributions that women make in the military, and it ignores the reality of current war-fighting doctrine."

Although thousands of American women have served in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and been exposed to great danger — 134 of them have been killed — they have been largely restricted to combat support jobs such as medics or logistical and transportation officers.

Defense policy prohibits women from being assigned to any unit smaller than a brigade whose primary mission is direct combat on the ground.

The new report says that keeping women out of combat posts prohibits them from serving in roughly 10 percent of Marine Corps and Army occupational specialties and thus is a barrier to advancement.

"The Armed Forces have not yet succeeded in developing leaders who are as diverse as the nation they serve," said the report. "Minorities and women still lag behind white men in terms of number of military leadership positions."

Women generally make up about 14 percent of the armed services. Of the roughly 2.2 million troops who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, more than 255,000 have been women, said Pentagon spokeswoman Eileen Lainez.

Supporters of the change say women essentially have been in combat for years, even if they are nominally removed from it.

"It's something whose time has come," said Lory Manning of the Women's Research and Education Institute. She said ending the ban would be "a logical outcome of what women have been doing in Iraq and Afghanistan, where the Army and Marines have been essentially ducking the policy."

She said, for example, that military officials have employed terms of art to skirt the ban, for example "attaching" women to a combat unit instead of "assigning" them.

The new report says there has been little evidence that integrating women into previously closed units or military occupations has damaged cohesion or had other ill effects. It says a previous independent report suggested that women serving in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan "had a positive impact on mission accomplishment."

Defense leaders have said they see the change coming someday. For example, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said in September that he expects women to be let into special operations forces eventually, and in a careful, deliberate manner.

The advisory commission recommends a phased-in approach. The Army is doing its own internal study of women in combat as well.

Pentagon figures show that as of Jan. 3, 110 women had been killed in the war in Iraq compared with about 4,300 men. In the Afghanistan campaign, 24 women have been killed compared with more than 1,400 men.

Lainez said the department will review the recommendations when the report is delivered.

But regardless of what becomes of the policy, she noted that women will continue to be drawn into combat action, "situations for which they are fully trained and equipped to respond."

105 comments:

  1. Kaylah Moore (2nd)
    When I first read the subtitle I was confused. I thought that women were already able to participate in all parts of the army. I’m totally against anything that has to do with war, but what's the point of joining if you are unable to take part in all actions. I mean I know that most are uncomfortable with putting women in such danger, but the numbers of deaths is significantly lower. And if they want to, let them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is nothing wrong with women being in combat. This is a free country, and if a woman wants to go out into combat and she is trained for it, she should be able to do that. My best guess is that this rule comes from the stereotype that women are weaker, which is not always true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cortney Corley
    Period 3

    I know that discrimination have been an issue in our country for hundreds of years, and one can't control what other people think or say. But if the majority of a country can move on, you should go with it. I honestly think it's stupid that woman had certain rules and regulations in the army. The armed forces are constantly drafting people during a time of need, and why not get people willing to do it like the women? They are ready and could be just as strong as men. They are determined and a man's equal. Men and women work side by side every day, so they should be able to in this job. Its a good thing that people are starting to realize this and life the bans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I'm sitting here, with my mom and my sisters. We're reading this article together. We're all in agreement that women should be granted the same opportunities as males. They shouldn't be held back because of their gender. So, anyways, there's a friend of the family, who's currently serving in the military. HER name is Kris. We love Kris, and we support her, but at the same time we seriously worry about her. But, i have to think about this from her perspective. I mean, imagine, if someone told you, that you couldn't fight for your country just because you were a woman. Not only would it be not fair, it would be discriminating to women as a whole.

    SO, I just had my dad read this article and he said, and I quote 'It's just as easy for a man to die for his country, than it is for a woman to die for hers.' This made me think, I mean, isn't he right? Shouldn't we not question them, and just stop to thank them, for wanting to serve for us in the first place? I mean, why does it matter your gender? Can't we just, not discriminate, and not judge, and let them do what they want? It is for the benefit of all of us. If they're willing to go out, and fight, and die for the rest of us, then we should let them. We don't need to ask questions, if someone’s that serious, about serving, then we should let them. It’s not doing anybody wrong, but it’s doing everybody a world of good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its a great thing that women will be allowed to fight in combat. For the last few years women have been becoming involved in things that men have been doing since the dawn of time. If men can fight in war, then so can women. I feel like the government isn't upholding its "equal rights" for everyone when they prohibit women from certain things. I hope that as time goes by women will be allowed to do more just like men.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Logan Gloster
    Period 4

    I don't feel that there should be any reason why women can't fight for their country in the army. Some have already been in combat and they know the risks just as much as the men do. As long as they meet the requirements as the men do, physically and mentally, then they should be able to join. Our nation has been through years of prejudice and discrimination and although both still exist today because of unequal opportunity, I'm glad we are starting to get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amita Batra
    3rd Period

    Personally, I would never want to fight in combat. However, if I did want to, there shouldn't be a rule against it. Men and women are treated equally in America so not allowing women to fight in combat is just ruining the equal rights. Women should be allowed to do everything that men are allowed to do. There should be nothing different about the two genders' rights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tyler Powers 5th periodJanuary 25, 2011 at 1:25 PM

    Women should get the same rights as any man does hints why America is a free nation. This should have been done long ago; it has been 91 years since women have received the right to vote. Why could this have not been amend soon it has been 91 years since women got the right to vote? Although they got the right they still can’t fight in certain situation. This proves that the Military system of the United States shows sexist qualities towards female. The United States Military should take all members that are mentally stable to join the cause no matter sex, race or religion because the people who are applying to be soldiers if accepted are heroes any way the word heroes can be defined. Also, women should be allowed to fight because currently the Military is having a very tough time requiting members.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Esteban Palacios
    6th period

    This is a good article to argue for. I mean women that serve there don’t want to be in the back they want to be in the thick of it or at least most do. If they want to then let them go, they know the price. It will be hard for those at home and maybe even harder for her to leave them behind but its her life and choice not theirs. And I thought this was a free country, well if this goes on its probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam Biedler 5th period.January 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM

    I'm always against any stereotypes of "Women doing a Mans job." I think that women should be able to do whatever they put their minds too. It could be running around with a machine gun, or simply wanting to play football with some boys. My sister is 10 years old, and she loves playing football. She can outrun and tackle my 13 year old brother whose about 2 feet taller than her. I always use her as an example for these arguments. So if a man wants to fight and serve his country then shouldn't a woman be allowed to serve and fight for her country? Also, my friend Megan who messes around with Air Soft Guns with me once in a while, She's great at targeting, shooting and running. So she is physically healthy. and there are a lot of women like that out there wanting to defend their country.
    So just let them already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chaz Talab 3rd PeriodJanuary 25, 2011 at 3:01 PM

    I find this to be really good for our country. I think that allowing women to be fully active in the military is great. It shows that we are an open country and that everyone is equal. Also some women can be a great benefit to our military. Maybe they have some skills that male soldiers may not have. Also having women fully active can allow a greater diversity of skills. Overall I think this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anthony Chenevert
    2nd Period

    In response to this article I feel that there is an advantage having women fight in our wars. It's show how diverse the U.S is compared to other countries. Women have fought hard for their rights and I feel if they love and show devotion to their country they can fight for their country. More women being in war now a days shows the strength of the women as a whole. The world has changed and women rights is one of the biggest deals to ever occur.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't see any problem with having women serve on the front lines. If they can survive the training and want to put their butts out there on the front lines then let 'em, it's their own fault if they get killed. You know, if they ("They" being the general american public) want women to serve on the front lines, they should be able to live with the consequences, i.e. "Americans won't tolerate large numbers of women coming home in body bags".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenny Chang
    Period 5

    Not all women lack the ability to combat directly. Some females even have better fighting skills, more determination and crisis management ability than men. They should be allowed to do so and to fight for their country. They can learn and train to improve themselves. I think as long as they can prove their capability, they should be able to defend their country regardless the gender.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ajeet Baath
    6th Pd.
    I believe this ban is completely ridiculous. We need all the troops we can get and the government is worried about sending women into combat. If one is going to feel strongly enough to volunteer, then they should have the courage to match.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neethu George
    3rd period
    I think that women should be allowed to fight in combat. What happend to equal rights for everyone? Women are capable to do things that men can do. This has been a problem since a long time ago. It has gotten better, but everyone should be treating men and women more equally. I hope women get to do more things like men.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nick Mathai
    P.6

    I think women should be allowed to fight in combat but only the ones who are qualified and only a limited amount at a time because we don't want our population to decrease drastically. Therefore I think women can be allowed into combat but only a limited amount. Also this would supply a more people to fight for our cause and helping us succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jerry George (3rd Period)January 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM

    Seems that just now America has finally becoming the "land of the brave, and home of the free." This effort of change will probably end up to grant many publicly expressed freedoms to many ethnic groups and genders that have been waiting even after the Womens' Rights Act and the Civil Rights Act have been accomplished. Since ending the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, the government has removed many restrictions that can allow more changes, like allowing women to fight in the Army or Marines, to be made in public service policies. This is a necessary act to accomplish in order to remove any injustice present in any service funded by the United States of America. Then again, the government should have done away with all these restrictions before. Still, I would like to see everyone be given a fair chance to do anything that is not endangering any law, and not be restricted by what an organization has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nick Brouwer (period 2)January 25, 2011 at 5:18 PM

    This took way to long to come up. Women having been serving in the US military for decades now, and they are just now being considered for front-line soldiers? They cannot say that it will change the cohesion of the group. It is not as if when blacks were allowed in the army that everything was fine, but now they are just as respected members of the army as any other race. It might take a while for some conservative soldiers to get used to women, but it will eventually happen if the government is not trying to stop women.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carolyne Lu
    Period 3

    It's great that women are now able to fight in combat. I don't understand why they weren't in the first place. It may have been the stereotype that women are not as strong as men, but if they think they're able to do it and they're determined, there should be no stopping them. Males and females are all humans, therefore there should not be any discrimination against a certain gender. Women can be just as powerful as men, physically, mentally, and emotionally, and some people need to understand that. Our country does not belong to just men, but women too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fifth Period
    I believe that it's right for women to serve. I have never believed that it was ever right for women to have any differences than men. Therefore, it is only reasonable and logical to make the women serve in the army. However, my only one concern is the effectiveness of women in the army. As we all know, women's bodies are less muscular than men's bodies. This is the only program that I could think of.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Danielle Uy 5th PeriodJanuary 25, 2011 at 6:37 PM

    Once I read the article, I was dumbfounded like Kaylah. It is quite odd for women to be serving because one hardly hears the viewpoints of women in war since women are stereotypically gentle versus tough. However, it is outrageous they can't go into combat. Anyone should be able to if they're fit and knowingly aware of what they could encounter on the battlefield. Plus, if you're willing to serve your country through treacherous challenges, women should have equal right to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jay Shah 6th Period

    I think woman should be allowed to fight in wars if they want to. I mean if they want to fight in the war, there shouldn't be a person saying "no". I am writing this while my dad is listening to the State of the Union Address, and oddly enough he's talking about war. Anyway, I mean I don't see women telling men that they can't be nurses.If the women want to do these things, the only thing that should stop them is not being qualified. Change is what we were promised before, and this could be yet another thing that changed. I think everyone deserves equal opportunity, regardless of gender. Plus, if we are letting gays do it, then why not women who volunteer?

    ReplyDelete
  24. 3rd period

    I think that women should be allowed to fight if they want to. They shouldn't be treated differently because of their gender. Personally if the millitary is going to complain about the lack of volunteers and then excluding people is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sean Nelson
    3rd Period

    I think that women should be allowed to fight in wars if they want to. It's a free country and it's their choice. They are willing to sacrifice themselves for those who they love and for their country and I think that they should be allowed to do it. Women have already moved up in the world as far as their rights and restrictions, and I think that this should be the next thing they should be allowed to do.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anastasia Konik period 5January 26, 2011 at 2:12 PM

    If woman have the guts to go out on the front lines, risk it all, and now the consequences, then why not let them? The government claims that everyone is "equal", but unless you have actions to uphold that statement then it's worth nothing. Some people have this strange belief that because of the roles in the old days, that woman aren't capable of doing a mans job. Which is completely false, some women do it better than men out there. I say be fair, it's their choice anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mariah Cooper Period 3January 26, 2011 at 2:36 PM

    Women should defiantly be allowed to serve in combat. We need all the help. I don’t think war in necessary though. If we didn’t have a war going on then we this article would not be important, or even exist. Women should be allowed to do whatever men do. We’re both human, so we shouldn’t face any problems that men aren’t.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mishi Jain
    period 2
    Women should be allowed to fight if men are allowed to. The funny thing is women have been fighting for equal rights ever since way back in history. Even to this day, women are still trying to get their equal rights in every way. I think that if a woman wants to serve their country, they know what the consequences are going to be. It's not like they’re blindly walking into this. They have also had the same training as the men did. They want to fight in wars to help serve their country, and if they themselves are willing to risk their lives to save us then they should be allowed to do as they will.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lloyd Farley (2nd Period)January 26, 2011 at 3:57 PM

    There are plenty of true stories of woman committing acts of violence in war like Joan of Arc and Hua Mulan (yes, like the Disney Story). Plus there are many occasions when woman can be violent in general. Making it where woman can’t fight is just an example of our sexist culture keeping women from doing what they want to. Not allowing women to fight is basically saying women aren’t capable of doing their share of helping out the country because the sole fact they are women. Then again, I would rather no gender to be allowed to join the army because of my pacifist ideals.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Joshua Okanlawon
    6th Period
    I believe that human have a right and a freedom to do whatever they want, including joining the army. This country is said to be all about freedom, so why is it such a hassle for ladies to join the force. Adding ladies would be an abundance of soldiers in the army, and honestly, I think that would help. There are so many jobs that men are doing and the job is meant for a women, so why can't it be the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mayur Patel
    Period 4

    I think women have every single right to be in the army. There is no law that says no. If men are allowed to, so should women. If women want to help their country, they should. They obviously want to serve in the armed forces because they are patriotic or they have something they want to do for their country. I say let women fight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What I want to say is that no matter what race or gender you should be able to serve. They're putting their lives on the line for their country and if they want to then people should let them. It's not like it's a forced draft. A person can sign up for it if they feel like it. If they do then let them if they don't want to then okay it's what they wanted isn't it. By "they" I mean the people who want to join up.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Tyler Morris
    4th period
    I have no problem having women in any branch of the armed forces. Heck some of the best soldiers, police officers, coastguardsmen, and meany others are women. However, and this goes for men as well, I DO NOT WANT SOMEONE WHO IS EMOTIONALLY COMPROMISED OUT FIGHTING FOR ME. If anybody cannot pass a test or something along those lines then they need to be checked over again.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Charlene Sigua
    Period 4

    I think that women should be able to fight in the army if they wanted to. It doesn't matter on what gender or race a person is. If they are willing to serve their country, let them join. Also, there are men who are nurses, which is usually stereotyped as a "woman's" job. If that's allowed, then why not women who can be considered front-line soldiers just like men?

    ReplyDelete
  35. John Gann
    Period 4

    Women in todays military is a hot topic since revolutionary days. I believe if a female has the mental and physical strength to become a frontline soldier they should have the option to do so. I believe that there should be all women platoons, and so forth, because of bunking, housing, and moral.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Okay. I get it. Every single person who has posted on this blog has been a modernist. Whatever happened to the "good old days"? When a woman's job was to clean and cook. When the greatest accomplishment of their lives was either getting married or having children. That is what America needs. It needs more women settling down with husbands and having some kids. I don't know what these women are thinking, joining the army, but I know one thing. They aren't thinking about what is best for America.
    Joseph Anderson, the Mighty Arbiter of Justice.
    Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sarah Raines
    Period 4
    Well, I find that I am more of a pacifist so my opinions on war are rather subdued. However, I think that we should move past our biased behaviors towards women and let them do what men can do. If the military forces think that women are going to get in the way because of stamina or strength then make the stamina and strength the same as men. I mean come on we all know about body builders.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Jessica Dove
    5th

    I think that it is prejudice to not let women serve in the army. We are holding back women who want to serve our country, and I think we should let them. Some males are a lot stronger than females, but I know a lot of strong and hard working women. And same for gays, I don't see why they can't serve in the army either. What difference does it make?
    If fighting in combat is what someone desires, then they should be able to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Jae Phan 4th Period
    I've been thinking about this entry, I agree with Shelby when she says that a woman should have all the opportunities a man has. But I'm wondering why our country would send its daughters and mothers to war, the idea of a woman serving in military combat seems so unnatural. It seems very unmoral to me, you'd have to think about the possibility of a female P.O.W. being sexually harassed by the enemy. If I had a sister I would never let her go in combat. I hear the constant saying that “times have changed,” but there is no change whatsoever in obvious facts of human nature such as that men and women differ in so many important ways, that young women are apt to get pregnant. Women serve our country admirably, both on the home front and in many positions in the U.S. Military. But they should not be assigned to military combat.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Lillian Cancino
    3rd Period
    I think that the Army should keep doing their research on women fighting in the war. I think that it has already been proven that girls are just as good as boys. In the earlier times, women had been restricted on many things that were only available for men to do. Now that women have been given a chance to prove themselves, it turns out that we are better than guys in some things. I think that if women train hard for what they want, the can be just as successful as men in combat.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I think it's great that there are people out there who want to place systems in place that finally add another spectrum to the women's rights movement. All people should be able to make it to any part of the army, without worrying whether or not they are "as able as men". Sure it is their liability risk, but it is their right. Women are always a great asset in any case, and should be treated as equals within the army.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Eby Lukose 3rd PeriodJanuary 27, 2011 at 6:33 PM

    If any person is willing to joined the armed forces, and is capable enough to, then they should be able to participate in all aspects, no matter their gender. If a woman wants to fight on the front line, then she should be able to. If all men(including women) are created equal then why should some people be restricted from what they want to do? Allowing willing women to fight on the front line will be an improvement to America as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I kind of agree and disagree with everyone above. Women should be able to serve their country just like men. And I’m pretty sure that women can do most of the jobs that men do, but then again there are also some jobs in the armed forces that require physical strength, and this is where I kind of disagree with everyone; I believe that men are stronger than women physically. This statement is true and it's been proven too. So my idea is to let the women support the men
    James Joseph
    2nd period

    ReplyDelete
  44. Abby Christopher prd5January 27, 2011 at 6:46 PM

    Women should definitely be in combat. It is very sexist to say otherwise. According to stereotypes, women are weak and belong behind the stove cooking. You have no idea how much I disagree with that statement. Women are as good as men and it is a right and privilege to women to joined the armed forces and do anything to help their country. If women meet the criteria to be in combat, then what’s there to stop them? I also think that these people are soldiers and if they are in the army, shouldn’t we stop what we are doing, go over to them, give them a big hug, and thank them for protecting our country? Men and women go through the same things in war and end up more or less the same when they come back. So now I’m thinking: so what? Who cares about gender? Women can do the same things as men and men can do the same things…during war anyway. It doesn’t matter. Anyone in the uniform representing our country should be honored and thanked.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Alvin Mei
    2nd Period

    Women are generally faster, stronger, and have more flexibility than men, if the women actually put their minds to it. It is no surprise that women are once again put down because of their feminine. Women can also gain the muscle to have the right amount of stamina during war time, and that’s what a true patriot does for this country. It does not matter if one is a male or female, if he or she is patriotic and works hard enough to build their strength to fight for this country then I believe that females can do it. The Congress should really give them a chance, and plus, they have already proved by serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, and also having the low deaths compared to the men. Females can do as much as males, and they should stop thinking, and start letting females do as much as males.

    ReplyDelete
  46. 4th Period
    I think that women should be allowed to fight for this country, just as men do. A man can die in the pursuit of freedom just as a woman can. It is really something that goes back to a time when women were not considered to be at the same level as men. This is unfair and really not with the modern ideal of what America stands for. If a woman is qualified for the job in the armed forces, then they should be allowed to serve in the same capacity as a men, no questions asked. I think this will be a long time coming though as the majority of our leaders are men and they won't change their mind that easily.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I agree with this article. Everyone has equal rights, therefore they should do what they want with it. In this case, the women want to go to combat and I think they should because it's their choice if they want to fight for their country! And just because we're women doesn't mean we can't do jobs that mostly men do. That just proves we're just as equal to them.

    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  48. Jeffrey Jhingree
    4th period

    I think that if a woman is fit for the military and passes the required training, then she should be able to join if she wants to. The only reason that a woman should not join is only if they have children. Kids would be devastated if they have been told that their mother or father has died while in combat. Everyone has rights and we are all equal. Some women are stronger than some men and some can do more things than some men.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Andrew Aneke/ 3rd PeriodJanuary 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM

    I agree that women should be able to fight on the front lines and part if they really believe they can handle it. Some women can do just as much as men can so holding them back because of their gender is unfair. One thing that women should know about when trying to get on the front line though is that it is much more dangerous. If women are allowed to be on the front line, there will a huge increase in the number of deaths for women. Like the article said, I am sure America would not like to see a lot more women in body bags. I think that there should be requirements for a woman to go into the front lines such as having enough strength and stamina. Men should be put out into the front lines first, but women should also be into the front line units fairly only if they want to.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Jade Martin
    Period 4

    I think women have just enough rights to be in combat as men. Sure, some women are not as strong as men, but that doesn't mean they can not be in combat. There are some women out there that are just as strong as men so they could easily get the job done, too. I think letting women be in combat would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Ryan Rodriguez
    Period 5
    I think that women should be able to be in the front lines of war. We need all the help we can get. We can't force women to be on the front lines, but not all women want to just support. If we lose all of our men we will be at a disadvantage, but if we have women our numbers will most likely increase drastically. I plan to join the Marines, and i would want all the help we can get.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Saimol Edaparampil
    3rd Period
    I think that they should let women be in combat because as everyone knnow's it, women are getting up to be equal to men and some may even be past them. There should be no reason for the military and the marine to discriminate the women just because of their gender. We are all people and just like the men in the military and marine, the women wants to fight just as hard as the men do for their country, showing that they have a lot of patriotism.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Alex Cyriac Period 5January 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM

    I really don't agree with the push for women to fight in combat situations in the heat of war. It just doesn't seem right. Ripping out guts and spilling blood has always been done by males and I am not sure if I would be able to kill a woman if I were fighting against her. It might be tried, but in the end, I don't think it will work out. Women should man the home-front while men defend the integrity of the nation.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Merin Mathew period 6January 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM

    Merin Mathew
    p.6
    Women has the right to join combat just as must as males do. When I read this article and comments, I thinks of all the stereotypes of a women that I am sick of hearing. If they meet the criteria then why not??I don't even know why they wouldn't allow women to fight. But I would like to hear more options on why women can't be a front line solider.

    ReplyDelete
  55. There is absolutely no reason why women should be avoided in an army. Patriotism is rare nowadays in the hearts of citizens. In this situation all interested fighters must be appreciated. Risk factor is exactly the same for both men and women. Even after going through several years of prejudice and discrimination, we still have a certain amount of racism embedded in ourselves. I think both men and women should be allowed to fight for their respected nation.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I agree with this article, both races must be allowed to participate in army's activities. Everything that we get to enjoy including absolute freedom were once fought for by these soldiers. Now women take a step forward in joining this army and fight for our well being. Most jobs that men do should also be permitted for women.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Emily Panozzo
    4th Period

    It is hard to pick a definite side when it comes to this situation. I definitely don't feel like women should be stopped in their tracks just because of their gender, but there are many downsides when being a woman fighting in war. Women aren't typically stronger than men, mentally and physically. A lot more care is probably going toward the women in the army than to the men because of that reason. Then again, it isn't fair to prevent people from doing what they want if that is what they truly want. I do think we should just leave the decision to the women wanting to join.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Danielle S.
    Period 2

    I don't understand discrimination as a whole. This is beginning to get out of control. If a woman is confident in herself and believes she may fight for her country let her. Some women in the army may be better than the men. But if you're against women on the line in war and you are worried about their safety, you should be just as worried for the men.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Michael Brennan 3rd PeriodJanuary 29, 2011 at 11:03 AM

    This is a great step for our country because it shows that women and men are becoming more equal. Women have been fighting for equal rights so the fact that they also want to fight for our country is great. They can also bring great skills into battle and will help make our military stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  60. There is nothing wrong with woman doing things that men can do I really hate to hear that people are always trying to hold back woman from their dreams. Just let them follow their dreams and be something in life.
    Roy Glover 3rd period

    ReplyDelete
  61. Nick Grieger
    2nd Period

    I believe that women should have the same equal right to be at the front lines if they want to. Unlike previous posts, I understand why they have waited so long to put women in the army in general. The reason is that the government does not want public to blame them for women dieing at war, which would happen because no one blames himself or herself in our society. This point is also made in the article when they refer to women coming home in body bags. Eventually though women will be able to fight on the front lines, but if many die than it might change.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Women should have the same rights as men so I think they should be able to be in combat. However, in a none bias way typically men would do this job better anyways. So in that viewpoint our countries defenses wouldn't necessarily be as good. Besides for that fact though I think woman should be allowed to do every-single thing a man can do.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Courtnei Coleman Period 5January 29, 2011 at 3:31 PM

    I think that woman should be able to have the same rights as a man. I know that men are normally physically fit and stronger than women. Women should be able to fight for their country just like men. If a woman has love for her country then she should be able to fight for it, if that is what she wants to do. Women should be in combat. The stereotypes about women are wrong. People think that they are weak and should be at home taking care of the kids but I disagree. A man can do that job also, just like a woman can fight for her country.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Chasidy Twine 2nd PeriodJanuary 29, 2011 at 3:50 PM

    Being a female, I find this whole situation to be very sexist and prejudice. Sexist because women should be able to do anything a man can do, and prejudice because there prejudging a woman's ability to be in combat units. If women can fight fires, keep crooks off the streets and dig in dangerous coal mines, then why cant they do this?

    ReplyDelete
  65. Matthew Louis
    6th

    I agree that women should be allowed to fight in wars, and should be allowed in Combat Units. The main difference is gender and for most Americans that doesn't matter. They are still human and by law still have the freedom to do what ever they please, so if they do decide they want to be in a Combat Unit they should be granted permission without any trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Aileen Nguyen
    Period 3

    To be honest, I had no idea that women could not serve fully in combat. It was one of those things that I thought was established when women earned their rights. It's great that they will be able to be in the front, since it's not fair that only men have the privilege to be front-line fighters. I understand that people won't like it if more women died in combat, but preventing them from taking full part in the army is pretty unreasonable. It's also unnecessary how people are questioning whether women have the strength and stamina to fight in the front. If they truly wanted to be equal with the men, they would work themselves to that level.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Lauren Rainey (3rd pd.)January 29, 2011 at 7:35 PM

    I think women should be allowed the same opportunities as men, in terms of serving for our country. I think there should be way more than 14 percent serving because like engineering it is a male dominated field. Personally, I thought women were allowed to serve in all parts of the combat units. I think by not allowing women to serve in the combat units it sets the feminist movement back 50 years. By telling women they cannot serve, it’s also like them telling them to go back to the kitchen and take care of the children. If they are willing to go into combat and serve their country, I think they should be able to. No one should be denied to do something others are legally allowed to do. This shows that they are sexist and thinks that they won’t be able to handle themselves in battle. Hopefully they will right this wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Chris Bready
    Period 6

    Women should have the right that men have. If they want to fight in a war then let them fight in a war. Even though they might not be physically stronger than men, they will still help in the counties time of need. It is not right to stop people from doing what they want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Richard Kimbrell (6th)January 30, 2011 at 10:12 AM

    I think that if a women wants to fight in the military then let them go ahead and do it, but if there is a huge increase in deaths of women then they will figure out that they shouldn't have complained about not being allowed. Honestly if you feel your deprived of not being able to fight then go ahead and complain until they let you but 99% of the time there is a reason why they dont want you doing these things. I'm not for putting women on the front but im also not really against it, but when push comes to shove we'll just have to see who was right and who was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Megan Scott
    2nd
    This is a good thing. Women should be allowed to do the same things as men while in service. Whether a woman does die for her country is her choice. I'm glad that they are finally respecting that.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Samantha Martin
    4th period

    I believe that women should be able to fight for our country if they want to. I mean it's only fair. You should not have to be held back from doing something that you want to do simply because of your gender, that's completely ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Gabriel Flores
    6th period

    I find nothing wrong with women who want to serve their country. They have the right to do everything just as men do so why not let them participate fully in the army just as men. This is a free country and if women want to fight then let them. I can see how putting women in such danger is uncomfortable to most but they say that women reduce the risk of death, so why not let them participate.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Victoria Hackney
    2nd Period

    I am actually quite shocked that it has taken this long for this to come up and be an ‘issue’. Women have been fighting in wars for quite a while now (or at least in the U.S.) and I do not see how if we (women) are able to be fighting, why limit what we can do? I am not a supporter of young men and women dieing in war, but if it’s what they want and what they feel compelled to do, who are we (America) to stop them based on gender alone? If someone meets the requirements needed then who care what gender they are, race, or anything for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  74. After we won the right to be independent like men, the women have tried to get the men to see that they too can be soldiers in war and have the same jobs. We have for a long time been allowed in war while they are just getting to the issue about the front lines, saying that we can’t protect ourselves and another and are a distraction to men. The women know their own minds more than men do so if they wish to go into war and are aware of the consequences I say let them. And for men to complain about it ask them why women should not have a chance to prove their abilities.

    Alexis Landoski
    2nd period

    ReplyDelete
  75. Andremarie Jean
    2nd Period

    I agree with Kaylah what is the point of you joining war if you are not able to take part in parts of it. Honestly though I don't think it is a smart idea for women to go in the war anyway. But it is up to them and if women have that desire to be right where the action is go right along. There really shouldn't be no law. I think the fact that they want to fight is good enough. You don't find too many women like that.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Troy Pete
    4th period
    I also think that women should be able to fight in armed forces.If they want to fight in war let them we could use them and or all the help we could get.Women and men are equal no one is above anyone we are equal.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Leah Ware 2nd periodJanuary 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM

    I think that women should be given the same opportunities as men. if women want to go and fight, then they should be allowed to. Even though we're women, that doesn't mean we can't do the same stuff as men. Women should be allowed to fight for their country. Women should be allowed to do the same things as men.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Tommy Settlemyre Third PeriodJanuary 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM

    The purpose of the military is to make war. The purpose of war is to seek out and kill the enemy. Women should be in combat IF AND ONLY IF they can make war just as well as men without diminishing the ability of the combat unit to make war. This means that women have to do just as many push-ups, sit-ups, and chin-ups as men. This idea is not discriminating. It is just trying to win the war, which is the whole point, right?

    ReplyDelete
  79. I think that women need to be held to the same standards as men in physical fitness and mental health. Even if men are naturally stronger, the soldier pointing a gun at you won't care that you’re a woman. War is ugly and people need to be ready for it. Women should be allowed to fight in the military, but they need to be fit.
    Ryan Haines Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  80. Its a great thing that women will be allowed to fight in combat. For the last few years women have been becoming involved in things that men have been doing since the dawn of time. If men can fight in war, then so can women. I feel like the government isn't upholding its "equal rights" for everyone when they prohibit women from certain things. I hope that as time goes by women will be allowed to do more just like men.
    Steffie Philip
    Period-6th

    ReplyDelete
  81. Gabriel Camera
    6th period
    I really think that women should be able to volunteer in combat. They should give the women the option to volunteer. I don't think there should be a difference just because of the gender. Also, the U.S. is a free country.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Prerna Kamnani
    4th Period

    Discrimination is present in society even today. Although we have come far in gender issues, we have not progressed far enough. Women can do the same thing men can do. I cannot believe it is 2011, and we still have to face discrimination against women. A woman being allowed to fight in combat is something that improves society. I think this maintains equal rights in this country. After all, America is the land of opportunity and freedom. A woman choosing to fight is her own option. It is her decision to make. Personally, I would never be able to fight in combat. The women who have the bravery to fight should be allowed to. A woman has the ability to emotionally and physically cope to the circumstances. A woman being able to fight in combat is a step further to improve gender issues in society today.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Jeffrey Reid Period 5January 30, 2011 at 2:57 PM

    I see this whole argument as prejudice. Women should be allowed to fight if they want. Just because their a different sex doesn't mean anything. The number of deaths are also lower for women then their are men making them good for longterm missions. The military should allow women to join because obviously, their an advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Betty Ponce.
    3rd period.
    I agree with this article as well. Everyone should have equal rights. Women should have the option to go to war just like the men. They shouldn't be prohibited from something they want to do because of their gender. People might not think they're as strong and as brave as the men in war, but that's honestly up to the women joining. It's their choice. If a women isn't strong then they obviously won't join. But if they believe they can do it, then I believe we should let them.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Travis Crissman
    2nd

    The topic of women fighting in war has been a controversial topic for quite a while. I believe that women should be allowed to participate fully in all divisions of the armed forces. Otherwise, I believe that it can be considered sexist. In my opinion, these women are fully trained to participate in front-line combat. If they choose to fight, then it is there personal choice. I also don’t believe that having women in these units will affect the cohesion of the small group or its focus on a mission.

    ReplyDelete
  86. Raphael Laran
    5th Period

    In the beginning, I thought women already were in the army. But the decision is obvious, of course women should be allowed to be in the army. The idea that men are better the women has to stop, just because of our gender doesn't make any of us different. It just depends on the person, but gender doesn't make any difference in someone's ability. Some women would be better off in the army than some men, but women should really be involved in the army. Some men might say that they might get hurt and that they want to protect them by letting them stay home; but it's the women's choice if they want to serve or not.

    ReplyDelete
  87. Bailey Banks
    6th period

    America is the freest country in the world, there is no reason that woman should be restricted to certain positions in combat. It is flat out discrimination, if any woman wants to serve a certain position in combat they should be able to. All of the soldiers in the war have the same goal and choose to fight in the war; therefore all of the jobs should be available to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  88. Ervin Ricasio
    Period 5

    I do not think there is a problem with women fighting in combat. There shouldn’t be any rule for that as well, since this is a free country. We are all equal and women should have the right to fight if they want to. There are many women fighting for our country right now to keep our country safe and strong. If they weren’t allowed to fight in combat, then the number of soldiers will decrease dramatically just because of gender. If any woman agrees to sacrifice their lives just for us, then let them go. Many women have skills that probably men don’t have. They all are good at something.

    ReplyDelete
  89. Ervin Ricasio
    Period 5

    I do not think there is a problem with women fighting in combat. There shouldn’t be any rule for that as well, since this is a free country. We are all equal and women should have the right to fight if they want to. There are many women fighting for our country right now to keep our country safe and strong. If they weren’t allowed to fight in combat, then the number of soldiers will decrease dramatically just because of gender. If any woman agrees to sacrifice their lives just for us, then let them go. Many women have skills that probably men don’t have. They all are good at something.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Woman are capable of doing anything a man can do. They should be able to do anything they would like. Woman have both the mental and physical ability to do anything they like if they put their minds to it. I don't think its fair to segregate them because of their gender.

    ReplyDelete
  91. Erica Barrera
    5th period
    If women want to fight for their country then they should. I don’t think we have the right to tell them they can’t. Women are as good maybe even better than men. I don’t really see a problem with women out there serving. To me, I really don’t think men or women should be fighting at all but that’s my opinion. I only say that because I’m against this war that’s going on. I think they should just bring our men and women back to the states.

    ReplyDelete
  92. Nico Alba
    Period 2
    I believe this ban is completely ridiculous. We need all the troops we can get and the government is worried about sending women into combat. If one is going to feel strongly enough to volunteer, then they should have the courage to match.

    ReplyDelete
  93. Abin Joes
    2nd Period

    I agree that a woman should stay out of the foxhole. But not because of their incapability of handling the pressure, but because there are many other jobs, military or civilian, that we need women to take a part in. though the best of the men go to the battle field, and it is a great loss to humanity when they don’t return, they are the most qualified to this particular profession.

    ReplyDelete
  94. Nina Tames 3rd Period.January 30, 2011 at 5:15 PM

    I agree with Alvin up there. Women can be just as fast, and strong as men. Plus we are more flexible, like he said. I don't think it's fair that women shouldn't fight in combat because of their gender. Girls can do anything boys can do.. if not better. If they want to go fight in the army, let them because it's their choice. They have the right to help protect the country just as much as men do.

    ReplyDelete
  95. Rebecca Johnson, 5th PeriodJanuary 30, 2011 at 5:19 PM

    I find that it is ridiculous that they will not let women in the army because of their gender. I personally feel that I can do anything that a man could do. I can shot a gun just as well as any man. If people are willing to join the army to help their country, why not let them? If they are fully capable of doing what is needed to do let them, it is their choice.

    ReplyDelete
  96. Azim Hemdani
    Period 2

    I think women should be allowed in combat. With women serving it could impact the military and others greatly. It is a great opportunity for them to help serve for their county and/or people. Although it is a pretty good idea it is also dangerous because women are women after all, meaning they can get hurt more easily and they might not be able to take on the opponents like men do. It is good to let the women serve with a couple of restrictions because those restrictions with probably help the women to survive. With women on their side the countries at war can be successful in many ways. As I said before I think women should be able to participate in wars but along with that women should be more protected. That is simply because women play an important part of society.

    ReplyDelete
  97. Aman Gupte
    6th Period

    I feel that women are fragile and if the law is separating them from being in combat, it is for a good reason. Of course men and women are supposed to have equal rights, but if there is a rule against it, it is probably for a good cause. I feel that women should not become too stressed about it because they are just as important as men!

    ReplyDelete
  98. Jr Zolayvar 6th PeriodJanuary 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM

    It's only fair for women in a nation considered to be "free" have the ability to serve not only in the armed force, but be able to make contributions as well, such as serving in the front line. I know that something like this will take time, but I believe as time goes by women will be given the respect they need.

    ReplyDelete
  99. Marcus Levine
    4th period

    This a great country and we should feel fortunate to live here. It is about equal rights for all. If women want to serve their country by joining our armed forces, then let them. Granted some women have different physical abilities, but if they can prove to there superiors that they can do more than these jobs currently restricted to women, they should have the chance. Those in the armed forces are there to protect all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  100. Kaitlyn Trei
    Period 6

    I personally think that there is nothing wrong with a woman in combat. Its pretty silly to think about them worrying about the woman in combat when they need all the people they can get to help them out. It is kind of prejudice for them thinking that woman shouldn't be in a combat. If woman want to serve in the army, let them.

    ReplyDelete
  101. Grace Bonojo
    4th period

    I think it's unbelievable that in a FREE nation there's a restriction on woman in the war. It's not our choice to make. If a woman knowingly signs up for combat then she should be allowed in. During World War 2 when the men were off fighting the war woman started to take their positions. They took on manly jobs with hardly any difficulty. Like the saying goes what any man can do a woman can do better.
    I see Jae Phan’s point when he talks about the vulgar things that can happen to woman when captured, although males can be raped to. Sure it’s not common but it’s possible.

    ReplyDelete
  102. Period 3

    The controversy about who should be allowed to fight in the military has been a long struggle. From the the gay controversy to now, people have been fighting for their right to fight in the military. Both men and women have the same rights. These rights should be respected. Along with this, some women are excellent marksmen. These reasons are why I believe women should be allowed to fight in the military.

    ReplyDelete
  103. Jasmyne Amos
    3rd prd
    If a woman wants to fight for her country then I think she should be able to fight. If they can endure the same training as the man next to them, then they should be able to go out there and fight for their country. The fact that they wont let women fight because of there gender is some-what sexist to me. Women can be fast and strong like men in my opinion. She can do things on the battle field that a man would never think of doing and it could be something only women can do using their flexibility or what ever. I think a woman can survive a war just as good as a man can.

    ReplyDelete
  104. Joe James
    Period 6
    Everybody should be allowed to serve their country including women, isn't our country based on equal rights? However women can't just say they want to join the army, they have to be physically ready and just very well prepared, it's not like P.E class you know.

    ReplyDelete
  105. K'Vonna Johnson
    5th period
    This shows that discrimination still exists in our country , but in a different way. A grown woman should be able to make whatever choice she thinks it right for her. If she wants to hold a certain position in the army she should be able to. This is a free country and we have our rights. Plus she is not choosing just to be in any army but the U.S. army to fight for our country and its safety.

    ReplyDelete