Laws Against ’Distracted Walking’ Coming?
USA Today
States take aim at distracted pedestrians
January 24, 2011
LITTLE ROCK (AP) — Lawmakers in at least two states are looking to pull the plug on texting pedestrians and iPod-obsessed runners, claiming their diverted attention borders on disaster.
After targeting drivers who paid more attention to their phone calls and text messages than the road, lawmakers in Arkansas and New York are now looking to crack down on pedestrians equally distracted by their own electronic gadgets.
Lawmakers in both states have proposed restrictions on using cellphones and music players such as iPods by people running and walking on the street or sidewalk. The apparent message: Distracted pedestrians are dangerous.
"It's not just distracted drivers. We focus a lot on distracted drivers, but we also need to focus on distracted walkers and joggers," said Jonathan Adkins, a spokesman for the Governors Highway Safety Association, a nonprofit organization representing state highway safety offices.
The proposal in Arkansas would ban pedestrians from wearing headphones in both ears while on, parallel or adjacent to a street, road, intersection or highway. The measure also applies to runners and cyclists and would allow pedestrians to wear headphones in one ear.
"You might not get the full effect of the Boston Symphony Orchestra with one ear, but you at least will be aware of your surroundings," said Sen. Jimmy Jeffress, a Democrat from Crossett who proposed the legislation.
Democratic State Sen. Carl Kruger in New York has been trying since 2007 to ban the use of cellphones, iPods and other gadgets by pedestrians in major cities while crossing the street. The proposal would ban the use of an electronic device while crossing the crosswalk in a city with a population of one million or more. Violators would face a $100 civil fine.
Kruger said a series of accidents in his Brooklyn district made him concerned about the number of pedestrians he saw paying closer attention to their devices than what was in front of them.
"They were basically oblivious to the circumstances around them," Kruger said. "They got wired up, and ... their head was just in a different place. I don't think it's that much different than a ban on cellphones while driving or any other distraction."
Most states have been tackling distracted driving in some fashion, with 30 states and the District of Columbia banning texting while driving. Many states also have put other restrictions on the use of cellphones, particularly by teen drivers.
The proposed restrictions come as safety advocates say they're worried about a slight increase in the number of pedestrian fatalities. The Governors Highway Safety Association earlier this month reported that pedestrian fatalities rose slightly in the first half of 2010 compared to the same period in 2009. If the second half of the year shows no change, the group said, it would mark an end to four years of decreases.
Nationally, pedestrians make up about 12% of traffic fatalities, the group said.
Adkins said the group is not backing any proposals to criminalize headphones, calling or texting by pedestrians. He said the group would rather see increased public education on the dangers of walking or running while distracted.
"The pedestrian does have to share some responsibility," Adkins said.
Jean Knaack, executive director of the Road Runners Club of America, said her group doesn't ban headphones but recommends against their use while running or advises runners to at least use only one earphone. Knaack said she's discouraged when she sees runners at group runs or races plugging into their iPhones or other music players, saying it takes away from the social aspect of the sport.
"I certainly would rather see it be more of an education campaign than an outright limitation," Knaack said. "There are some people who have just convinced themselves they can't run without it. They need that crutch to be able to get out and do it."
Jeffress said his legislation, which does not spell out any penalty for a violation, is aimed more at increasing awareness than punishing pedestrians. "I don't envision the earphone police going out and arresting people," Jeffress said. "I don't see anybody being stopped to check what's in their ears."
Monday, January 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well this is interesting, especially since I am the kind of person who needs music all the time, so in public you'll probably find me with my headphones in. I think this law is a little unnecessary, although pedestrian safety is important. Quite often I'll use one headphone when doing something. But there is also the option of turning the volume down on the device and keep both headphones in ear, so that I can still hear all of the music and be aware of whats around me. As for the texting, this should be used the same as texting while driving, because unaware pedestrians are just as bad. But not everywhere and not as strictly, and of course business purposes sometimes require constant communication. But if you're crossing the street, it should be put away.
ReplyDeleteWell, this is very stupid in my opinion. Why make a big deal about people making fools of themselves while they are using a device, like falling into a fountain for example. The person should be able to decide whether they want to reach in their pocket and press the play button, or focus on walking or running. Now I personally am someone who is constantly messing with my phone or iTouch, but you don't see me running into things. People need to learn press play and continue walking.
ReplyDeleteJay Shah
ReplyDelete6th Period
I actually do agree with this, but it is kind of weird. I mean I don't randomly go walking a lot, but when I do, I either am with my friends or family, or am listening to music. I need music, because just watching my shoes and the sidewalk seems a little boring. But while crossing the street? C'mon people! Sometimes in songs I like closing my eyes and just listening, and that could be dangerous, so this is a good idea, even though it makes walking boring. The texting part however is dumb. People are smart enough to not be texting while crossing the street, at least for the most part. Like if I was walking, and my friends texts me something, would I come back home and say, "Sorry I was walking..." I guess you could stand for a second or sit down, but it would be weird. Overall, you know what they say, better to be bored than sorry.
I understand why all this comation about headphones and texting is about. All people need to be safe, but some of this is just a little unnecessary. I always wear my headphones going places and somtimes I can't hear others talking to me, but that's my problem. If I choose to put my ipod at full blast that is my choice. I could lower the volume to hear others though that is a little rude. The same goes for texting if people pay attention to where they are going then no one has to worry about hitting a car or another person crossing the street. That goes to people that cross the street don't text while walkig. Walk and talk.
ReplyDeleteThis is probally required in all countries around the world because most people listen to music and have a phone, they don't take the time to look around while walking. For example my friend was listening to his iPhone and texting while running along the road. When he stop to text his friend a car was coming behind him and ran him over breaking his leg and dislocating his arm. When he tried to sue he lost because the person in the car had at least 10 people behind them stating that the person couldn't go pass the jogger because he had headphones on and was honking at him for at least 5 minutes. People these days are motivated to use their music as another daily use in this world which makes no common sense. Why not listen to music while your alone or being bored.
ReplyDeleteAmita Batra
ReplyDelete3rd Period
This law takes things a little bit too far for me. Just like Myles, I am a person who you will find constantly listening to music no matter what. If someone gets his or herself into an accident due to his or her texting or listening to music while walking, that is his or her fault. Restrictions should not ruin the music and text messaging for everyone
Chris Bready
ReplyDelete6th period
Let the pedestrians cross the street will listening to music, or while they are texting. They are old enough to make their own decisions, and they should know the consequences for making that decision. If they are still a little kid, then that is a different story. Why would a little kid have a cell phone, and be all by their self in the first place. You should always know to look both ways before you cross the street.
This is a good idea. First I never even thought of looking at the pedestrians for being at fault. I am personally a music lover that like Myles loves to listen to music and has to most of the time. However if I have to sacrifice having only one of my earphones in, to possibly save my life; well I'm more than willing to do so. Also I think having a possible fine to this adds even more incentive for the pedestrians to think twice when listening to their music. Overall I think this was a great idea and I'm looking forward to see this placed into our society.
ReplyDeleteI feel like this law is completely unnecessary! Many people like to listen to music while jogging because it sets a pace for them. Also, for many people its motivation. I think that the drivers should pay attention, not the people listening to music. If drivers can have music in their cars then why can't pedestrians have music as well? I feel like people nowadays make laws for the fun of it, and not because its going to help the community be better.
ReplyDeleteNick Mathai
ReplyDeleteP.6
I think this is a good idea because I only listen to music when I'm bored. Plus this would alert the runner or cyclist of an oncoming car and this would prevent them from and accident.
Once in a while a person may get a fine for using an electronic device while crossing the street bit it's for the good of the community and later you'll learn you're lesson once you get fined or get hit by a car.
I think this law is unnecessary. It takes the relaxation of music away from people and leaves them empty. I prefer to have my music playing when I'm walking somewhere or riding my bike. If people are stupid enough to not look where their going, then thats their fault. Everybody shouldn't be punished for what a few people did.
ReplyDeleteI think that it is ridiculous that they would even think to put a ban on listening to your iPod or being on your phone while you are walking, do they think we have no common sense at all, I'm pretty sure everyone learned the whole "look both ways before you cross thing" when they were like two. Pretty soon we're not going to be able to do anything! I mean I guess it's good to think about the safety of people, but I just feel that they have crossed the line with this one.
ReplyDeleteDanielle Sherman
ReplyDeletePeriod 2
When I was first reading this article it was like blah! I thought it was stupid. Now analyzing the article I could live with the one ear thing. I personally go running and/or walking with my iPod and text while crossing the street. I don't jay-walk and I go running on the sidewalk so unless the driver is distracted...I'm fine. Also as Jeffress said if police let people slide on tickets for speeding, for example, then I'm pretty sure you can slide for having earphones in your ears.
Period 5
ReplyDeleteI think that this is really pointless.
A lot of people listen to music because they can't live without it or it motivates them to get up and go to the gym. Usually, whenever someone is jogging, they don't want to have to just have their mind telling them "Wow, I hate running! Why am I doing this? I'm done." But when their listening to music, they form a pace and just enjoy the music. Yes, it is a good idea to take out one earphone. It keeps us more aware. But even if someone is enjoying the music, they can still see what's around them. If drivers get to listen to music in their cars, shouldn't pedestrians be able too? Also, you can always turn the volume down to a point where you can hear honking and talking. Plus, you see people in their cars with the base blowing up and making the ground shake. Those people should get a fine. Not someone with just earphones in.
I think they are going a little over board; this should not be a law. Citizens have rights, I understand that people can get injured do to their actions but it’s just a fact. I for one enjoy listening to my iPod when I run, walk around the neighborhood etc. I know it’s dangerous but I still pay attention to my surroundings. I just don’t believe this law should pass, it will cause many disagreements.
ReplyDeleteKiah R.
3 period
Ajeet Baath
ReplyDelete6th Pd.
It is in my respective opinion that this law has to be the most idiotic ever thought of. When it comes down do it, whose fault is it really? It’s the driver’s responsibility to watch the road and their surroundings for pedestrians. Although it may be important for a pedestrian to notice their environment, it is not up to them whether a driver decides to swerve onto the sidewalk for no apparent reason. People should consider this as a guideline, not a law!
Esteban Palacios
ReplyDelete6th period
I found this article funny because on my way home I saw a person jogging with earphones on. This is kind of dumb because it is the pedestrians job to see where he is going not hear where he is going.
Carolyne Lu
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
I think making a law for this is just going overboard. As far as the music goes, I don't think it's a big problem. Sure, you can't hear what's going on, but you can definitely still see if a car is heading towards you. However, it may be different for some people who are very into their music, so they should just do what they need to do. For the texting while walking, that is just lack of common sense. When you're texting, you're looking at your phone, not your surroundings. It's like that woman who was texting while walking and fell into the fountain, and now she's suing the mall! That's just plain stupid. Instead of making a law for this matter, the pedestrians should just simply focus their attention to the road while they're crossing it, and then they can resume whatever they were doing. It's that simple.
Anthony Chenevert
ReplyDelete2nd Period
To me I think that the laws can be a little outrageous.Everyone knows that I can't live with out my music and that I am down for electronic devices. Everyone is in control over their own actions. If you can;t handle listening to music or texting while walking you should just wait until you reach the destination. Times like this call for better self-awareness and discipline. I think people need to start making better choices and it starts as a child.
This is not my type of law. Like my classmates, I'm somebody who listens to music all the time. If I'm walking around the neighborhood I'd listen to my Ipod. I don't think this law should be passed becasue pedestrians should be able to listen to music and use their phone without getting into an accident.
ReplyDeleteJenny Chang
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
I just realize the serious danger distracted pedestrians would cause for themselves and for other people now they mention this. I think music is an enjoyment in any time of our lives, but there are times we need to focuse more on other things. From my past experience, sometimes the car will brake immediately, sometimes it won't. However, the law should not be passed. We should have the freedom to decide what we want to do. For those people who care for their lives more, they should take the suggestion of wearing only one earphone. For those who are not as concerned, they can continue enjoying their privileges.
Logan Gloster
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I think it comes down to technology. I would have to agree with Ray Bradbury in saying that too much technology is a bad thing if we lives our lives by it and forget where we came from. We still live on Earth and we are still part of nature and quite capable of dying. I personally like running and couldn't do it without music so I would have to disagree with the law saying I couldn't keep my iPod in both ears despite the danger, but then again I have the advantage of living in a small neighborhood with little amount of traffic. Overall, people make their own decisions and it's their fault if the cross a busy intersection without paying attention. People just have to live and learn.
Joshua Okanlawon
ReplyDelete6th Period
This law is completely unnecessary. There is definitely not a problem in listening to music, if anything install a reminder in a driver’s car to “ watch for pedestrians” each the driver turns on the car. I mean a lot of people like to run cross streets in order to exercise and get a daily run. Stopping them from listening to music could stop them from jogging and that causes another problem, obesity. Obesity is already a huge problem in America, and adding this law would boost that problem to its full potential.
Mishi Jain
ReplyDelete2nd period
I think that this article has made me realize all the attention goes to drivers but we cannot forget the pedestrians. Making this a law is a great idea. Even whenever I go out for a walk or jog I always listen to music. But when I listen to music I only wear the headphones in one ear so that I am aware of my surroundings. This is a fabulous idea and I completely agree with this. I don't think anyone else would object it either.
I’m the kind of person that cannot live without music. Even in school, I am so tempted put my earphones in and tune out the teacher. I like listening to music while I do homework, and I am listening to music right now. Music helps me relax and escape reality and helps me get my thoughts right. Running without music is like walking without legs to me. I need music to help me concentrate on something other than how tired I am. Of course, pedestrian safety is important. There is the option of turning music down so you can actually hear what’s going on around. I think the one earphone in your ears is stupid because I don’t want to hear half of the music but all of it. Would you want 50 cents or a dollar...exactly. As for texting, I think that is more serious. I admit I text when I walk, but not when I’m crossing the street or when I’m walking on a busy road. I think if people were just smarter with how they walk on the roads then I’m sure this unnecessary law won’t be passed.
ReplyDeleteKaylah Moore
ReplyDelete2nd Period
It shouldn't really be a law to not have any electronic devices as a pedestrian. I also do most things in my life to some form of music. I think that they should make us more aware, as pedestrians, the dangers of being distracted. It is common sense to just pay attention when crossing a street. I mean you shouldn't cross the street checking your facebook versus checking if cars are coming.
Andremarie Jean
ReplyDelete2nd Period
Personaly when I run Saturday and Sunday mornings I have to have my music in my ears. For some reason I just know that if I am going to have something in my ears I am not just going to be listening for my music that gets me in the zone, but also whats around me. A law would just make people angry and think the government is worrying about the wrong thing, when I might be running with music in my ear because I just lost my job. I could see if they were driving but walking or jogging it's really just ridiculous.
Throughout this blog, I wanted to pay attention, but the overall topic was none the less unimportant. A law against people crossing the street while texting, pretty much never happens. If a person is ignorant enough to cross the street texting, it's their personal problem. For the case of the iPod there is hardly anyone that gets distracted by just listening to it. I agree with the no texting while driving act, but this is certainly preposterous.
ReplyDeleteI see why they would ban texting and listening to music while driving but, now those thing might become illegal while walking. The reasoning behind this dumbfounds me because for instance joggers buy iPods to listen to them peaceful while jogging. I believe this will furthermore weaken the economy because the IPod/MP3 market in tremendous. This would cause people to buy less and less other them bringing the economy down like previously said. The Legislature in those states have to less time there hands because if they were smart they would see it would weaken their economy.
ReplyDelete3rd period
ReplyDeleteI think this is just another case of the government trying to rule everything. Why would you cry about people being distracted when many other horrible things are going on that need more attention than they are given. Accidents will happen, it's just life, people will always do stupid things.
Sean Nelson
ReplyDelete3rd Period
Okay, I can see why they are trying to increase safety and prevent accidents, but this is just stupid and unreasonable. I think that it will be a hard law to enforce and that people won't know what's allowed and what’s not. There will be a lot of confusion on this matter. I think it’s just not going to work out the way they expect it to.
Fifth Period
ReplyDeleteHonestly I have never thought of this before. I always thought that in all deaths relating to traffic accidents and pedestrians, it was always the driver's fault. But now, I have come to realize that the pedestrians could also be at fault. Although not often, I text while walking, or listen to some really loud music. I do look down the street to see if there are cars coming, but I'm otherwise totally unaware. This is an interesting article because it brought on a perspective of safety that I have never realized before.
Charlene Sigua
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
This seems really unnecessary to me. For the one earphone thing, I'm used to it. When I'm in the car or walking I listen to one ear. But I'm pretty sure most people will put away their phone when they cross the street, it's common sense. It seems to me that the government just wants to control everything we do. What's next? "Don't talk on the phone when crossing a street"?
I agree with Mr. Guilbeau, the government is wasting time. There are way better things the government can do to help the people of America, such as the subject of healthcare. The one part of this article I agree with is the ideas of turning down the music, and listening to music with one earphone.
ReplyDeleteJames Joseph
2nd period
*sigh* They're controlling what we can do now when we walk too. This is dumb. I can see what they're getting at, I my self also having almost gotten hit by a car while crossing the street and listening to music, but thats taught me to cross the street with my music off. Thats what everyone else should do too. Having one out while walking on a side walk is, in my opinion, really stupid.
ReplyDeleteAlvin Mei
ReplyDelete2nd Period
What has the world come to when states start banning people from listening to music while running? We have to get to something serious. This is not a big problem; people have died because of this right? Then people should be aware of that, and of course they will take better actions, because no one wants to die, and if their walking or jogging, it’s for their physical health, they want to be healthy, to live longer, not to die, so of course they will be more careful. A lot of people have common sense, and many will gain theirs once they start driving, so there probably won't be anymore problems.
Prerna Kamnani
ReplyDelete4th Period
This article in my opinion is an eye opener. There has always been more emphasis on drivers being distracted with devices. I agree that musical devices can be dangerous while walking or jogging. It is safety hazard that we tend to look over. Pedestrians should be more vigilant about the volume adjustment on their iPod or MP3. Although it is a good idea, it seems a little unreasonable. I cannot really imagine any citizen abiding by this law.
I don't think this is a major issue at all. Many people do it nowadays and most of them are able to do so without injury. That's why people have peripheral vision, so they can see things they're not directly looking at. Even when you're looking at a phone or iPod, you should be able to see something in front of you. Unless you have the phone in your face.
ReplyDeleteDaniel Thai
Period 5
I think that this is just another way for the government to take control. The pedestrians should know to look both ways before crossing the street and it is their own choose to be doing something else. For a child why would they be all alone or even have a cell phone. The government needs to back off.
ReplyDeleteGabriel Camera
ReplyDelete6th period
I think that this law goes a little far. If a person is jogging, they can still see where they go. They don't listen to where they go. Anyways, this is not a major issue for the government. They should worry in other things, but not an issue like this one.(remember to look both ways before crossing the street).
Things like this make me wonder why we have government in the first place. It seems like all the government does is make silly laws like this one. I can understand why some are anarchists because the government is out of control. We need less laws and more freedom. Last time I checked, America was the land of the free, not the land of people who say, "Well, I can live without my jogging music." America is the home of the brave, those who are not afraid to keep their freedom.
ReplyDeleteMayur Patel
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I agree and disagree with this article because it is true that we have to focus on the pedestrians that might not be paying attention but the drivers should be focusing also and if that is true then they should know when a pedestrian comes in front of them. I disagree mostly because you cannot prevent people from using their iPods and their electronics because I personally like to listen to music and if my iPod was taken up, I would be pretty mad. Hopefully they discuss more on this and come up with a better solution to this problem.
Marcus Levine
ReplyDelete4th period
Look distracted driving is one thing, but this has become unnecessary. Assuming that every distracted person is a threat and giving them a fine. Oh yeah, the government is going to have a field day with this one. Are they greedy, or just paranoid? If were to remove everyone who seemed idiotic enough to blindly walk across a city street, they why don't we just remove half of America, maybe even more, I don't know, it just depends on how hard we feel like tightening the leash. In fact, we're not even tightening it anymore, no we're squeezing it. Squeezing it on every civilian in America until we begin choking. Believe me; I have tried to listen to my iPod with one head phone. Do you know what that feels like? I'm not exaggerating on this, but it feels like feeding one child and starving the other. Only one head phone takes out the enjoyment of listening to music.
Dylan Allotta
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
Im quite surprised that the people in office waste their time on non sensical junk rather than more important matters. I see their logic however the enforcement of this law would be ridiculous. Just think about a police officer coming up to you and saying, "here's a fine. You were wearing more than one ear phone..." Hmm... Not that it's his fault he is obligated to reprimand music lovers who happen to like running or biking as well, but I think the officer should have something better to do. Like focusing on real crime instead of checking pedestrians ears.
Jade Martin
ReplyDelete4th period
I think that this idea is actually a smart idea. I know that usually when I take a walk or ride my bike I always bring my music. This is a major distraction so I always take them off when I am crossing the street so I can hear whether or not cars are coming or not. Some people don't take them off and this is a very dangerous situation. Making it where you can't be distracted while walking is a great idea but I'm not sure how they would catch everybody.
I think many people who are opposing this law believes it violates their rights, but what about the other laws? Laws like the "don't ask, don't tell" policy violated our rights even more than this law. Why complain now that this law is ready to exist for the sheer fact of protecting the general public, and not actually take away our rights of free speech? I truly want to see this law take place and protect drivers from people who are not paying attention, but with a few minor adjustments. Seriously, I think the reason why pedestrians make up 12% of traffic fatalities is because they become too preoccupied and get lost in their own 'world.' Only allowing one headphone to be on an ear will probably not solve the problem, but probably having them turn the volume down a bit to at least 25% or less can fix this dilemma. Not all pedestrians are fools who cause accidents aimlessly, but some just get too preoccupied with the music blasting into their ears that they cannot hear the horn from drivers to get out the way. Also, I do not want to see several people waste their time writing tickets for people who disobeyed this law, but instead I want the government to teach children, not just adults, on how their actions can cause severe problems for the community. Just like how Smokey the Bear was intended to teach children not to set forest fires, I want to see a message or something to be put out to the public so they can avoid losing their lives to simple mistakes.
ReplyDelete-Jerry George
-3rd Period
I don't think this law is necessary. We have many other issues that we need to control. Pedestrians can see where they are going while listening to music and texting. This isn't as crucial as texting and driving.We have more serious problems to pay attention to.
ReplyDelete4th Period
ReplyDeleteI really don't think this is something worth spending government money on. We have other issues that need much more attention than this. I don't think controlling what we do as we walk, jog, bicycle, etc. is going to solve a problem that really doesn't exist. Pedestrians have the right of way and will always have the right away. Drivers are the ones that need to be careful. There is way too much texting and other things going on while behind the wheel. This is where the attention needs to be paid, not to someone walking down a sidewalk listening to an ipod. Really? This is ridiculous.
I don't find this to be an effective way to reduce the number of people hit by vehicles. The number of people who get by cars while walking because they were texting and didn't pay attention is probably pretty small. These laws aren't going to change much. It might reduce the number of people jogging though, since it wouldn't be as enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteRather than a law I think the best method to combat this is self responsibility. A person should know that if they don’t look both ways they can get hit by a car. This law is totally unnecessary, laws should only be emplaced when someone runs the case of hurting someone else, and a person is really only hurting his self. I think common sense is the main argument against the law that is being attempted to be passed. I want to be able to decide whether or not what I’m doing is dangerous and most of the time listening to my iPod is not under that category. Then again people need to be aware of their surroundings.
ReplyDeleteJeffrey Jhingree
ReplyDelete4th period
I do not think that the government needs to ban playing music while walking or jogging. All that people need to do is be aware of their surroundings and not play their music as loud as they can. Now texting while jogging should be ban because you cannot see where you are going, making it easier to run out into the street without looking for traffic. You should not even be texting while jogging. It’s not only the runner that has to pay attention to their surroundings it is also the drivers on the road.
Sarah Raines
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I find this kind of strange. I think that it is important to be aware of what is going around you, but I don’t know that they need to make a law against it. If anything pedestrians should just be more conscious and considerate of their surroundings. If you are going to text, don’t text while crossing a street if you are not even going to bother looking around. This isn’t home where you can just walk down a hallway blind folded. Their are other people cars and obstacles that make something like that stupid. And it’s almost a little rude to just purposefully inconvenience drivers by making them take care of you when you should just take care of yourself.
The government needs to learn how to pick its battles. First of all, no way will this become an actual law, secondly, there is no way they could enforce it if it was a law. I could just pull out one of my headphones when a police cruiser comes around. Why doesn't the government try and get people to look both ways before crossing. They could have commercials for it like they did seat belts.
ReplyDeleteNick Grieger
ReplyDelete2nd Period
Like most, I believe this new law that they are trying to enforce is ridiculous. If they want to inform the public about being aware while walking and listening to music than they should advertise it with commercials, because a lot of people watch television.
Aman Gupte
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
This is very stupid. I mean, people who are walking should at least know where they’re going and what in front of them. I’m one of those people who can’t really do anything without music so I’m constantly messing with my iPod , and I’m also one of those people who don’t go walking a lot (at least not on the street). I can see how distracted pedestrians can create unsafe situations, but I think they’re going a little overboard by trying to make this a law.
One must always look both ways before crossing a road. I need music, because just watching my shoes and the sidewalk seems a little boring. I could lower the volume to hear others to be not rude. If someone gets him or herself into an accident due to his or her texting or listening to music while walking, that is his or her fault. The driver of the car should not be blamed for this accident.
ReplyDeleteI don't think this law is needed. We have several other problems to take care of. Pedestrians must know where they are going, in fact they should not be overly involved in music while they are on the roads. This isn't as crucial as texting and driving.Today's world has way too many other problems to be paying attention to that this issue is as minute as it is and should not be brought up as a huge news.
ReplyDeleteVictoria Hackney
ReplyDelete2nd Period
I can understand why there is the law of not texting while driving, because you are behind the wheel of a car taking your hand(s) of the wheel and no longer paying attention to the road; although I do not understand why I can’t listen to music while I’m walking on the side walk. People in cars are still listening to their music, why should I have to wear just one headphone? Music is a major part of my life and school is basically the only time you catch me without my iPod on or right with me. I don’t see how telling me I can’t listen to music is going to help with accidents on the street.
Lillian Cancino
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think that people walking along busy areas should also be aware of their surroundings, not just the drivers. We never know if some people that get into accidents die or survive because it was their fault. The drivers always get blamed when sometimes it's not their fault. I think that they should try to pass that law, but they should not get to carried away with punishing people if they don't obey. There definitley should be a fine, but no jail should be required. I hope that by passing this law, the deaths along side a busy street or intersection will decrease.
Erica Barrera
ReplyDelete5th period
When I read this, I laugh because I didn’t know people running with their iPod or phone was a problem but I guess you learn something new every day. I find listening to your iPod while running a good idea but running with your phone. While I find that a little weird. I can barely walk and talk at the same time. That’s just me. I also didn’t know pedestrians running with phones or iPods were a problem on the road. I don’t see them as problems. So I don’t really find this law useful. I think they can find bigger problems than that.
Emily Panozzo
ReplyDelete4th Period
This is unnecessary. There are already so many laws and restrictions placed in our society, I don't see why there should be more limits. Listening to music, texting, taking on the phone is a choice. By restricting the use of this because some pedestrians are hazardous would be like restricting car use because some people cause accidents. There will always be less than brilliant people in the world, so let’s try to focus on more important things.
2nd Period
ReplyDeleteI think is law is pretty much bogus. I, like many others up there, are one of the many people you would find listening to an iPod or something like that. I think this takes it too far. But I understand where they're coming from. I just personally wouldn't like to be banned from this sort of thing. That's no fun. Some people do find concentration by listening to music.
Saimol Edaparampil
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I feel that it is uneccessary for the public safety people to make it a law because it is not that important or as important as many other issues . The pedistrians shouldn't have to get tickets to learn their lessons. It should be told to everyone about not walking and running while listening to music or on an electronic device.
Bailey Banks
ReplyDelete6th period
Making this a law would be ridiculous. It's not like people listen to music to just listen to music while exercising. Music seems to make it more endurable, enjoyable, and faster, why take this away? I don't think this should be a law as a whole, but taking earphones out while crossing an intersection could be a reasonable law. Taking away how people enjoy themselves while jogging is certainly not the way to go.
As a new driver and music enthusiast I can see the importance of this code. I think that the cause of this is peoples lack of common sense, I am not saying everyone is an Einstein, but most people have the common sense to look both ways, take your earphones out. If you do not, well that shows either ignorance or stupidity, you can choose.
ReplyDeleteSamantha Martin
ReplyDelete4th Period
I think that creating this law would be pointless. People need to learn how to use common sense. If your going to cross a street look both ways, it's not that hard, and even if someone was listening to music while walking they can still see what's going on around them.
Jae Phan
ReplyDelete4 Pd
I think that it is absurd that they would put a law on something like this. People should just pay attention to how they drive and walk. If they don't, then it is their fault for getting into an accident. America has more important things than to focus on car crashes.
Amber Tunstall
ReplyDelete4th
That thing about taking away the social aspect of running races at the end was stupid. So, you can't run a race if you don't want to be social? That's rude and unfair. People listen to things while they run BECAUSE they don't want to hear the outside world. They're trying to block themselves off from everything else. It's unfair that we should be punished for that. And what about the people that have their music down so low that they can pay attention to the rest of the world at the same time? Should they be punished too? If you want to text, stay at home. It's not fair that people who are doing nothing wrong should be punished for idiots doing what idiots do.
Okay, this is very interesting. I think it's really odd that people want to ban earphones. I mean, some people wouldn't run without their music. So, then they'd get fat. And we'd have a fatter nation. Plus, why can't you run and have music, but you can text and drive, in some states?
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I personally think that this law is dumb. Pedestrians should be aware of their surroundings but they are not likely to harm anyone while walking or biking, unlike drivers. As long as the volume is not too high, they should be able to listen to music; people can still function normally while listening to music. As for texting, pedestrians should not text while crossing streets or intersections, since you're supposed to look where you're going. I feel that pedestrians should be more cautious, but that taking away their music is a bit pointless.
ReplyDeleteAileen Nguyen
ReplyDeletePeriod 3
This law could be beneficial, but it's also odd and slightly unnecessary. Just because people listen to music when they walk or jog doesn't mean they are distracted. It's basically the same situation as a person driving a car while listening to music. It's not like there's going to be a law banning music in cars, so what's the point of preventing people from listening to music while walking/jogging? They're still aware of what's happenening around them. Besides, that's what a volume button is for. Texting and walking, though, is another matter. People should be smart enough to realize that if they are looking down at their phone to send a text, they are bound to be involved in some sort of an accident.
Samantha Twardowski
ReplyDelete3rd Period
I think that this article is very ridiculous. I think that they are taking the texting and walking way too far. If you cannot text and walk, then where are you supposed to text?! I think it is better for people to go outside and text then sit at home all day and text. I understand not texting and driving but this is just becoming unreasonable.
Jaison Mathew
ReplyDelete4th Period
I really think they shouldn't make a law about this. I like their idea of raising awareness about paying attention when your walking, biking, or even crossing the street. You should be paying attention when your doing these activities, but I don't think that you shouldn't be able to listen to your ipod/mp3 player. It is dangerous to get too occupied when doing anything and to not pay attention to your surroundings.
Tyler Morris
ReplyDelete4th period
This is definitely an issue, for instance if a biker ignores traffic lights and such and gets hit by a car, it isn't entirely the cars fault. There should not be a total ban on iPods, or other electronic devices, yet there should be studies done to show the potential risk involved. You know, pick your poison.
4th period
ReplyDeleteI don't like this law. For one, it said pedestrian accidents are about 12% of fatalities, which is not a big percentage, they should be focusing on other things. I think it should be your personal decision whether you wanna listen to music or text and risk being in an accident. Then where is their proof that listening to music and texting while walking or running is more dangerous. They should test it, get evidence, then try and pass it. It didn't say the slight increase in pedestrian fatalities were soley from the use of electronics.
Texting maybe, but I-Pods really I do that all the time and it never did anything to make me distracted as long as your not sleep walking or walking around with your eyes closed I highly doubt a law is really needed for all this. And this is from personal experiance or I would be dead right now. It's just really pointless for us to just waste good time making a law about not wearing headphones and/or texting on the sidewalk.
ReplyDeleteMerin Mathew
ReplyDeletep.6
Is it really necessary to ban electronics to pedestrians? It's only the driver fault for not looking out. They also want to ban pedestrians from wearing both earphones. That pretty reasonable so they can also hear there surrounding and enjoy music. But can't they have Public Service Announcement to get people aware of the dangers of distracted pedestrians. I guess it can be the pedestrian fault sometimes. Whose fault would it be, the driver texting or the distracted pedestrian?
I think this makes a good point. Pedestrians should be watching out as well as the driver. If they dart out in front of a car who was paying attention that is their fault. I understand sometimes when the driver is spaced out, but pedestrians can always be more careful, even if they do have the right of way.
ReplyDeleteKatie Snyder period 2
Grace Bonojo
ReplyDelete4th period
I love music personally and when I'm riding my bike music makes it a lot more enjoyable. The proposed ban on wearing earphones while riding or walking is understandable, yet the wrong approach to this issue. The idea of taking a source of entertainment away from runners isn't going to have a positive effect on the number of runners. This ban could cause a decrease in runners and an increase in obesity. If they really want to approve the ban they'll have to think about ALL the consequences, good or bad. Yet I do understand the major issue behind this ban and it's important to not only hold drivers accountable but walkers/runners as well. Runners know the risk and things such as this is a personal decision that should be made at their own risk.
Grace Bonojo
ReplyDelete4th period
I love music personally and when I'm riding my bike music makes it a lot more enjoyable. The proposed ban on wearing earphones while riding or walking is understandable, yet the wrong approach to this issue. The idea of taking a source of entertainment away from runners isn't going to have a positive effect on the number of runners. This ban could cause a decrease in runners and an increase in obesity. If they really want to approve the ban they'll have to think about ALL the consequences, good or bad. Yet I do understand the major issue behind this ban and it's important to not only hold drivers accountable but walkers/runners as well. Runners know the risk and things such as this is a personal decision that should be made at their own risk.
Travis Crissman
ReplyDelete2/6/11
Like many of my classmates, I found this article to be ridiculous. I don’t see how the government can pass a law like this. There are many people who bike ride, jog, walk, etc. and enjoy doing the activity while listening to music. I believe it would be a waste of time to try to pass this as a law. There are more important issues to deal with right now including the economy. The police need to spend their time working to protect citizens, not fining them for having two headphones in while walking. I do believe that they should try to bring more attention to the number of pedestrian injuries and deaths because of texting and i-pod use.
Merin Mathew
ReplyDeletep.6
Is it really necessary to ban electronics to pedestrians? It's only the driver fault for not looking out. They also want to ban pedestrians from wearing both earphones. That pretty reasonable so they can also hear there surrounding and enjoy music. But can't they have Public Service Announcement to get people aware of the dangers of distracted pedestrians. I guess it can be the pedestrian fault sometimes. Whose fault would it be, the driver texting or the distracted pedestrian in court I wonder?
Joel Simon
ReplyDelete4th period
I believe this law is really unnecessary. Many people walk around listening to music because it motivates them to walk or run. It is really boring to just walk on the road with nothing to do but watch people. Listening to music can help set a pace for the person, and the person can look around their surroundings to see if there are cars passing by them to avoid any accidents.
Kaitlyn Trei
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I think that this law is only necessary to have if you live in a big city like New York or Chicago, where there is a lot of people and things going on. But to ban people to use their ipods or phones while they are jogging is unnecessary. Specifically when your jogging and you are in a neighborhood where it is pretty quiet and doesn't have a lot of traffic its fine because you probably wont have any problems. Overall it might help people be safe and be more alert about their surroundings, but people still need to have a choice.
Period 3 :)
ReplyDeleteI find this article pretty pointless. It's not that hard to look both ways before crossing a street. As long as you know where you're going, and keep your head up, you'll be fine. I don't think they should make this a law. If an accident were to happen though, it should be the drivers fault for not paying attention to where he/she is going.. I guess.
Francescha Rundle
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
Personally, I believe this law is kind of overboard. I understand that the government is trying to reduce pedestrian fatalities, but it would not change much. Like the law on texting while driving, people will still do it. Many citizens that go for a run or walk almost always have an electronic device in their hands and even if this law was enforced, people will still listen to their music. Also, this law technically restricts phone and iPod use to only be used in our house if you think about it.
Raphael Laran
ReplyDelete5th Period
In my opinion, making a law against using any electronics while walking is stupid. Yes, someone might have get hurt if they didn't pay attention while there walking, but it is common sense to do so. My friend told me something about this lady suing the mall because she was texting and she ran into a fountain. There shouldn't be a law against this, it is just that some people don't have enough common sense to look up while texting or at least stop walking.
The idea that a person's hearing sense is bad or not present, while listening to music is absolutely correct. However, the idea of banning it is a waste of time. They should just warn people about the dangers and let them choose what they want to do themselves. I think our government should focus on more important problems and then when our country is in good conditions go back to problems like these.
ReplyDeleteBetty Ponce
ReplyDelete3rd period.
I think this is a really interesting article because I would have never believed that pedestrians distracted on their electronics were just as dangerous as drivers who use their phones and such. But I don't think they should ban pedestrians from using them because it most likely won't work. How many cases of car accidents have been caused by "distracted pedestrians" in ratio to distracted drivers? I don't think it's fair for the peopole walking and the law won't have a good way of enforcing this.
Ervin Ricasio
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
There is actually no point of this and it shouldn’t be a law. I know many people that love listening to music while walking or running down the streets, but I think they should be extra cautious about it. I also think drivers should be paying attention at all time even if they have loud music playing in their car. This shouldn’t really be a law, but people should be careful when walking down neighborhoods or busy roads.
Ervin Ricasio
ReplyDeletePeriod 5
There is actually no point of this and it shouldn’t be a law. I know many people that love listening to music while walking or running down the streets, but I think they should be extra cautious about it. I also think drivers should be paying attention at all time even if they have loud music playing in their car. This shouldn’t really be a law, but people should be careful when walking down neighborhoods or busy roads.
I think it's high time that lawmakers took this problem into people's eyes. Countless people end up hurt because of their tech-busy lives. Sure, you could argue the people's choice theory, but why couldn't one just use one earphone? It isn't as immersive, per se, but it keeps people safe. Although I would prefer police to be enforcing more serious crimes, saving a life or two because of this law is very valuable.
ReplyDeleteMelvin Valimattathil
ReplyDeletePeriod 6
I don't think this is a good rule to enforce. The joggers/walkers just have to put low volume on their headphones. If they don't want to put low volume it is there fault if they get hit by a car.
Stephen Castillo
ReplyDeletePeriod 4
I believe that lawmakers should not band texting or listening to music while walking. I think they should try to persuade people not to to do it though. Like what they do with tobacco they try and persuade people to do it, yet some still do it. Do I think there should be consequences? Not really again its just something people do, nothing we do can stop that. So I think we should just tell people not to do it, and if they still do it then at least you tried.
K'Vonna Johnson
ReplyDelete5th period
I agree with D.Sherman because it is stupid and E.Riscasio that the people running should be the ones more alert. This being a law is a waste of time to sit around and debate about.They should just move on and look at other problems that are needed to be taken care of.
This law must not be put into action for any reason. People crossing roads are supposed to be aware of vehicles on road. Distractions are not considered as excuses for any sort of road accidents.
ReplyDeleteMany people like to listen to music while jogging because it sets a pace for them. Also, for many people its motivation. I think that the drivers should pay attention, not the people listening to music. If drivers can have music in their cars then why can't pedestrians have music as well? I feel like people nowadays make laws for the fun of it, and not because its going to help the community be better.
ReplyDeleteSteffie Philip
Period-6th
Abels Koshy
ReplyDeletePeriod:6
I know many people that love listening to music while walking or running down the streets, but I think they should be extra cautious about it. This ban could cause a decrease in runners and an increase in obesity. If they really want to approve the ban they'll have to think about all the consequences, good or bad. These are some of my thoughts about the topic.
Leslie Vazhapilly
ReplyDeletePeirod 4
I think this law is not reasonable and unnecessary because lot of my friends and parents listen to their I pods when they jog, and are aware what is going on around them. The idea that this causes more accidents are totally unrelated to each other. I recently read about a article that says that music help jogging and running. But I think that texting during jogging or walking might be a problem because your not looking around you are consecrated with your phone not the environment around you, but listing to music, you're not looking at you I pod all the time, you are just listing to it. If you do get into a accident while listing to you I pod, it's your fault, for not paying good attention to environment.
I find this law rather unnecessary. I think the drivers should be more careful then the person walking or jogging. Texting while driving has more distractions then walking and listening to music and or texting. The pedestrian has more chance of stopping themselfs from getting hit then a driver. So the lawmakers should think more about the dangers of driving and texting. Then again everyone should be careful when on the road.
ReplyDelete6th period.
ReplyDeleteWhen I saw the title for this article, I was quite surprised. I mean, a law for people listening to music while walking or crossing the street? That’s going overboard. Like what Ann Mathew said, people listen to their ipods or music players when they jog. They should look both ways before crossing the street anyways. A distracted driver texting on their phone is much worse than a “distracted pedestrian” listening to music while walking.
When asking me, I strongly disagree with this law. I would understand if the law was made in not so urban areas, but people in urban areas need to multitask. In urban areas, things move a lot for faster then things do in suburbs, especially in New York. To my opinion, banning the usage of cell phones and iPods, would only slow down this business friendly environment.
ReplyDelete- Justin Johnson
6 period
Kyne Onyenze
ReplyDelete3rd Period
This law takes things a little bit too far. I am the kind of person who needs music all the time, so in public you'll probably find me with my headphones in. I think that it is ridiculous that they would even think to put a ban on listening to your iPod or being on your phone while you are walking. Although I think they have the concern of people at heart as well. If you think at it in a different perspective, if you were driving you wouldn’t want people to be walking and not paying attention to the road or their environment around them.
Okay it's one thing to be monitoring these kind of things while behind the wheel of a vehicle, but while walking on your own two feet? I think it's ridiculous. People should be aware enough of their location to be able to decide when you can stop and text, or crank up the volume in your headphones.
ReplyDeleteJoe James
ReplyDelete6th Period
This is honestly just going to be one of those minor laws that the authorities aren't going to even be strict about. Seriously though, the pedestrians should be aware of their surroundings when crossing the road. Maybe large fines can be given out to convince people to cross safely. If anything is brought up to help convince people to stop doing things like this then maybe later on the rule won't really have to be enforced as much.