Monday, January 17, 2011

Too Drunk? Your Car Won’t Go Along For The Ride

Too Drunk? Your Car Won’t Go Along For The Ride
Washington Post
By Ashley Halsey III
Saturday, January 8, 2011

The technology developed in the past decade to sniff out terrorist bombs eventually could be used to combat another scourge: drunk drivers.

Researchers funded by auto manufacturers and federal safety regulators are working on sensory devices - to be installed as standard equipment on all new vehicles - that would keep a vehicle from starting if the driver has had too much to drink.

"We're five to seven years away from being able to integrate this into cars," said Robert Strassburger, vice president for safety for the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, a trade group for the world's major auto companies.

The new technology would not require that the driver blow into a tube, like the interlock devices some states require after drunken-driving convictions. Instead, either a passive set of sensors permanently installed in the vehicles or touch-sensitive contact points on a key fob or starter button would immediately register the level of alcohol in the bloodstream.

Less clear is whether such technology - which presumes that all drivers are potential drunks - will antagonize some car buyers, and it's uncertain how much it would cost.

But that's a marketing problem for down the road.

Alcohol was a factor in 10,839 highway deaths in 2009. In the past two decades, it accounted for 268,442 deaths. And 10 percent of people in the United States recently admitted to being drunk behind the wheel in the past year, a poll found.

Drunken driving "remains the leading cause of fatalities on America's roads, killing more than 10,000 people in 2009," said David Strickland, administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The "technology presents a new opportunity for us to dramatically lower drunk-driving deaths and has the potential to save literally thousands of lives every year."

Strassburger, whose group is part of the development task force, said the goal is to have an operating model in two years.

The objective is to produce a device that will react in less than a second and function without maintenance for a least 10 years or 157,000 miles.

"We haven't met our criteria yet, but we feel comfortable that we will," said Susan Ferguson, a longtime safety expert who is leading the research. "Speed, accuracy and precision are the three key criteria."

Right now, she said, the sensors that detect alcohol levels in the air can be made to react within five seconds after a driver gets into the vehicle. The touch-detection system currently takes 20 to 30 seconds to determine blood-alcohol content.

"But the next generation of solid-state electronics will bring it down a lot," she said. One detection method could collect data via infrared beam. The sensors have proven accurate, but consistent, repeatable accuracy needs to improve.

Strassburger said the cost per vehicle hasn't been established, "but obviously it has to be relatively low." It "has to be in line with other safety systems," he said. "We want the public to understand the need and how they benefit."

The technology is a direct offshoot of the quantum advances in sensory detection since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The ability of machines to scan people, packages and luggage for tiny trace elements that would expose a terrorist threat has expanded exponentially.

"Now your typical explosive trace detection system is based on rapidly evaluating minuscule molecular substances," said Richard Bloom, an anti-terrorism expert who chairs the Aviation Security and Emergency Management Committee of the Transportation Research Board. "If you can do that with explosives, you should be able to do that with any kind of detection, including alcohol and drugs."

Telltale devices that determine when someone has been drinking have been developed in the past decade and are in widespread use. One celebrity, Lindsay Lohan, has worn a SCRAM bracelet, which measures blood-alcohol content every 30 minutes through a person's perspiration. For the same type of technology to be used in cars, researchers want a response within one-third of a second.

The task force developing the system is a partnership between the Automotive Coalition for Traffic Safety and NHTSA. The initial $10 million research grant, provided by NHTSA and carmakers, paid for the first two years of research. More money from Congress is being sought so the project can continue for the final three years, becoming something that functions consistently in a vehicle.

"We're not at the finish line, but we can see the finish line," said Chuck Hurley, a longtime safety advocate who recently retired as chief executive of Mothers Against Drunk Driving. It "will take us about $12 million more per year. The public needs to get behind this."

The new technology could collide with the desire of many people who want to have a drink or two without fear that they won't be able to drive home.

Automatic speed cameras have been around for several years. Although speeding leads to about 13,000 highway deaths a year, state legislatures have been reluctant to deploy the cameras in numbers significant enough to slow traffic.

Given that a poll found that 10 percent of Americans said they'd driven drunk in the past year - and 5.5 percent of them said it was more than once - will there be political resistance to a device that would have required one in 10 Americans to call a cab or walk home?

"It establishes a situation where you are guilty until proven innocent every time you get into your car," said Sarah Longwell of the American Beverage Institute, which opposes universal use of the devices. "Most Americans would say: 'Absolutely not. I don't drive drunk, and you're not going to put that in my car.' "

Longwell said her group would back universal use if devices were set at the legal 0.08 drunken driving threshold, but she believes they will be set far lower. "Americans are 100 percent behind the fact that you shouldn't drive drunk," she said. "But they're not ready to give up the glass of wine with dinner, the beer at a ballgame or a champagne toast at a wedding."

But Hurley said the aim is to stop drivers whose blood-alcohol content exceeds the limit. "If we were really neo-prohibitionists, you'd know it," he said.

Longwell, who has lobbied widely against mandatory interlock laws, said advocates of universal use fear public reaction, and should. "The car companies, no matter how much they are supporting this now, they're not going to do it if people are furious about it," she said.

106 comments:

  1. Alvin Mei
    2nd Period

    I really like this article; it shows how much United States is improving in technology. Drinking and driving kills a lot of Americans each year, hopefully this new invention will save a lot of lives in the future. Sure Americans will be mad, but it’s the law, and all they are trying to do is to keep U.S.A. safe, and peaceful. I hope they come out with this soon, because nobody wants to be on the road having a fear that they might get hit by a drunken driver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prerna Kamnani
    4th Period

    I think that this new technology will be extremely beneficial to America today. There have been many lives lost because of drunk driving. I feel that this could be the solution to the problem. Majority of the population in America do not drink while intoxicated. The irresponsible people who drink and drive lead to many sorrows and losses. Often, the driver lives, but the innocent victim dies. This technology could help prevent the loss of innocent lives. I hope this technology is affordable and is an eye opener to many Americans. The invention of this technology will lead to many benefits to the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This new technology will definitely reduce deaths in America. Since so many people die from drunk drivers, I think this will be a great thing to put in new cars. I love how the technology these days get better and better at saving peoples' lives. Even though some people may not like it, its definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WooHoo! Technology! This is a good idea, considering probably at least 70% of the people who would say they don't drive drunk have accidentally driven the car when they were a little tipsy. I don't want to worry if every time I'm on the road some drunk guy might hit me. It's a scary thought, and with this technology it takes that scary thought off a long list of scary thoughts that keeps getting longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle Uy 5th PeriodJanuary 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM

    Representing the general public, I back this innovative idea one hundred percent. It would be the best guaranteed prevention for innocent people. There has been many fatalities due to ignorant people not abiding the law drinking way too much; that's absurd. The car will stop them right in there tracks and provide more incentive to responsible drivers. I look forward to seeing the progress of this invention and hopefully it'll be affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3rd period

    I think that this is a great way to prevent people from killing themselves and others in a car wreck. Sure some will dislike this idea but it will save many lives. Go technology!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chaz Talab 3rd PeriodJanuary 18, 2011 at 1:28 PM

    I think this is a really good idea. After hearing so many stories of young teens being killed by drunk drivers, this is relieving. First of all I am amazed at our technology that we have come up with in the past few years, and second, this will be amazing. Now not only will you be able to protect others but you'll be able to protect yourself. I am really glad that this technology has come up and I hope it makes a good impact on our roads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lloyd Farley (2nd Period)January 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM

    The best way to prevent drunk driving is to prevent driving, so why don’t we just get rid of cars? Seriously though, there are way too many drunk drivers out there and that’s a problem but I believe there are more affective alternatives such as bars or clubs providing some sort of alternate transportation not just kicking people who are have drank too much out on the street. Also, who wants to buy a car that’s programmed to work against you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhea Cruse
    Period 5
    I love the idea of researchers finding a way to keep people from driving drunk. I really like that your able to use technology to do this, let alone put a tracking device in your car. I think that this will set back some sort of percentage of deaths caused by drunk driving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I support this plan 100%. It's about time we got this! Now less people will die to stupid mistake deaths! Honestly, people have no excuse to an accident though with this. People could always say that they were drunk and you it as a cover up from responsibility but now they can't.

    Period 6

    ReplyDelete
  11. Period 4

    Well, this is interesting to say the least. If it works as well as they say it does, I'd be glad to see it in practice. However I wouldn't want it to harass people about alcohol content. If used, it should be set at the legal limit. No lower, no higher. But my hopes aren't very high for this, because like any new piece of technology (especially one controversial like this), this is not going to work perfectly. And also, for every smart person who can put something like this in a car, there is going to be another one who can take it out or disable it. Someone will find a way around it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Esteban Palacios
    6th period

    If a person has had a drink then the car might not start right? Well what if he only had one small sip? The car might not start and he isn't even intoxicated. I think this is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jay Shah 6th Period


    I agree with this idea, but it may be a little annoying to some people. I mean, as it says, people who come back from a baseball game might have drunk a little bit of beer, but not enough to get them drunk. Overall I back this idea, because it is safer for the population as a whole, but if too many people don't like it, they are wasting millions for nothing. And in a time like this, the government needs every bit of money it has. I like the idea, but I don't understand the point of wasting millions of dollars for something that may not even go to effect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Logan Gloster
    Period 4

    I think it is worthwhile to invest in more technology because it helps us advance, but what we develop is different in my opinion. People getting drunk and dying is their choice in life. It's almost like nature's way of reducing our ever-expanding population. If people truly wanted to stop death from being drunk then they shouldn't drink in the first place. I personally hate alcohol and drugs. They both mean nothing to me and I'm glad I have no intention the use either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The fact that America has advanced in technology so much is I think great! But I believe that this will bring up a lot of controversy and problems in the future with people not wanting these devices put in their cars due to privacy. I mean we all know that there will always be the one person who drinks and drives and doesn’t get caught or doesn’t believe he/she will and this device will just upset them and there will be uproar. I’m not saying it will happen, its just likely to.
    Kiah R.
    3 period

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mishi Jain
    2nd period
    This idea is a fabulous idea to help America. I completely support this in every way and I know that by doing this we will lower deaths in America. Since deaths from drunk driving are the highest in America we definitely should do something about it and this is the perfect way. My hopes for this new technology are not that high, though. The reason behind this is that many people have great ideas such as this one, but many times the rest of America counters it in some way. For example, the security at airports has changed and although the intention was good many people went against it and there is a big controversy behind it. I fear that this might happen to this idea and then we won't follow through with this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. John Gann
    Period 4

    The technology of this is an overwhelming. But as we all know there are ways that one can bypass this technology, plus this technological breakthrough may be expensive. Were it may save lives but will it cause even more destruction with more electronic systems (which can cause the lighting of gasoline) which can go faulty. In a perfect world this is a perfect system, but we do not live in a perfect world. The technology used to find this is closer then appears though with a breathing apparatus, where a legal alcohol rate would allow the car to be started by maybe just a simple wire sending a signal to the starter engaging the flywheel, while a illegal blood level would not send this signal. But a sensor that reads the level by a simple touch, with no prick and no abrasion, this would be a leap in biomedical science/engineering for the world and especially people with diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cortney Corley
    Period 4
    I think that the idea of installing this detection technology in cars is amazing. It could save thousands of lives and benefit most people. I had an experience with a drunk driver one time when he ran into my moms car while my friends and I were in it. No one was severely hurt but theres always the "what if...." thought. This new technology shows that America is advancing and actually caring. The people who are mad about this are probably the ones who drive drunk and don't want to get caught. I understand people want a drink or 2 at a party, and theres nothing wrong with that. Those people are less likely to take a life than those who are over the alcohol in blood limit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Neethu George
    3rd period
    I think this new technology would be extremely beneficial for everyone. This would definitely reduce the number of deaths. Although I do think that it would be a little expensive. But if it's for everyone own safety, money shouldn't be an obstacle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carolyne Lu
    Period 3

    I think this is definitely a good idea considering how many deaths are caused by drunk drivers. It's just a matter of time before it goes in effect for all cars in the U.S! I'm excited. However, it will be very hard to make just one device for everyone in the U.S because we have to keep in mind that not every one is the same height or weight so that would affect the blood alcohol level of the person. But, aside from that, I'm glad that we're taking action to help prevent more losses due to irresponsible driving.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lauren Rainey (3rd period)January 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM

    I think is a great idea to keep our roads safe. With almost being the legal age to drive, I thinks it's great and beneficial to me that these sensors are put into cars everywhere. I myself wouldn't mind the sensors in the car. Because what if somebody stole your car and tried to drive drunk, dangering all drivers on the road including themselves. Just because the primary driver doesn't drive drunk, that doesn't mean whoever gets in the driver's seat doesn't. I also think the sensors need to be in every car eventually converting all cars into new safe sensor cars, otherwise nobody would buy them thinking they don't need the sensor. Overall, this is a great idea to lower drunk drivers on the road and deaths caused by them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This idea of having our problems solved with drunk drivers seems a bit too ambitious. I am not suggesting that I am against the technology that can prevent drunk drivers from starting their cars, but this seems too good to be true. First of all, the article does admit that car companies are not yet willing to pay for these features in all their cars. Secondly, these forms of technology may not be able to distinguish drunk drivers and those who have low blood sugar levels. There have been many problems with people driving under low blood sugar levels, and being arrested for such circumstances where their vision becomes blurry and they lose focus instantly. I hope technicians can create software that also distinguishes these people apart and probably contact medical support when these situations occur. In the end, I wish this technology can be implemented into current car standards, but unless they can solve this various problems, I doubt that this form of technology would exist in everyday cars.
    -Jerry George
    3rd Period

    ReplyDelete
  23. Abby Christopher prd 5January 18, 2011 at 7:58 PM

    I think it is great that technology is advancing so fast. This device will certainly reduce the number of deaths on the road. I think some people are just too sensitive to think be hurt by the fact that they could be pinned as a potential drunk driver. They have to think about the fact that if someone stole their car and got drunk and rammed the car into a pole, they would have to pay for the insurance. Now who wants to do that? This device will certainly help drivers be more confident on the road. They would not have to be worried that some drunk person will cause an accident.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nick Mathai
    6th period

    I think this is a nice idea but there are a couple of flaws. What if the driver told the passenger to put their finger on the scanner instead of his so that he could drive or maybe the driver starts drinking after he starts the car.
    But overall it is a good idea to put these detectors into cars since most drunk drivers who go to bars are by themselves or with other drunk people.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ajeet Baath
    6th Pd.
    I can’t help but to think that this new idea for drunk drivers won’t work according to plan. When it comes to sensor technology, especially that of alcohol toxicity, there are many factors to consider. It is almost guaranteed that the sensor is not going to be perfect, so there is definitely room for error. The air sensor may not work because there is the possibility that the passenger is drunk. Also, emergencies have to be taken to account. I think the auto companies are interfering too much with our own responsibilities. Sensors like this should only be installed for owners who have a history of alcohol consumption.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tyler Powers 5th PeriodJanuary 19, 2011 at 3:53 PM

    Although this technology is a very respectable achievement, it still could be tampered which would make it completely useless and a disability of the company. For instance, if the person who owns the car is a mechanic or knows mechanic they could easily take it out of the car. Even if you’re tipsy you might still be able to disable it because the person might have an outside knowledge on disabling mechanics with in a car. Also, for the car companies this in not a cheap thing to just all of a sudden put inside a car. It might taken billions of dollars to pay the individual for the patent is self and tens of millions to mass mass-produce to put inside any car. With this in mind it is a magnificent idea, but the car companies are most likely not going to pay the money to put inside all the cars they produce.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mayur Patel
    Period 4

    New technology is always a good thing. Especially for drivers because driving safe is the key to road success. Drunk driving should be put to an end at some point. This new technology might be able to help start the persuasion for this project. Hopefully this technology helps and improves the environment and the society.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tyler Morris
    4th period
    I think that this is a great thing to have installed. Drunk drivers kill people every year. Honesty it is time to stop it. This needs to be worked on to make our world better. Without drunk drivers there are less mistakes, less lost lives and more happiness to go around.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Period 2
    This idea is more likely going to convince more people to stop being alcholic and drink less often at parties, or celebrations. This makes parents a better role model then if they were drunk and drinking front of a child. So even if people are going to get angery and start complaining it helps the children become someone else than a drunk person thus less drunk driving happens.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sam Biedler Period 5January 20, 2011 at 1:27 PM

    I agree with this and I disagree.
    I agree because this technology could save many lives. Plus, it would maybe make some people more cautious on how much they drink. But I disagree because what if someone only drank a little bit of alchol but they are still intoxicated? So the car would just... not turn on? So this is, I think, going to make more people happy than mad.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Charlene Sigua
    Period 4

    I think this is a great idea. Many deaths are caused by drunk driving each year, and this could help put a stop to that. Although not many people will like this idea, it's still for the protection of others.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jenny Chang
    Period 5

    I support this invention. It would prevent people from driving under influence. No matter how much someone drinks, alcohol might still impairs one's judgement. This detection device might pose inconvenience to some people who drink a little for enjoyment, but don't they want to ascertain if their head are clear enough for driving?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jeffrey Reid Period 5January 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM

    I think this idea of alcohol sensors is great. thousands of lives are dying each year. This technology will help to better protect our nation from stupid people who think its OK to drive after they've gotten drunk. I hope this sensor will be installed in cars as soon as the tech people can.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Jessica Dove
    Period 5

    I think that this is a great idea! So many people are drunk behind the wheel and so many people are getting hurt. I think that a lot of people don't realize how serious drinking and driving is. This installment in cars around the world could save so many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anastasia Konik period 5January 20, 2011 at 3:59 PM

    To start off this is a generally great idea, but I feel like for their profit it will get about half of the population to not invest because they like to drink. If this is a successful accomplishment that it should be mandatory in every car, not just those who choose. Woohoo for technology.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm glad America has great technology. I do believe that this new idea of preventing drivers from drinking is great. A lot of people are getting hurt from the few drivers who drive while intoxicated. There are people who don't understand the seriousness of drunk driving. I think the technology should be mandatory for every vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Eby Lukose 3rd periodJanuary 20, 2011 at 7:18 PM

    I think that this technology should be utilized; it would save many lives. If it does not cost too much, then automakers should put them in all cars. I don't see how this would be offensive to anybody, because if you don't drink, then it is simply a precaution. Drunk driving is a serious problem and I'm glad that we are close to finding a solution for it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. The technology is great and should be implemented into car models as soon as possible. Not only will it decrease deaths by DUI, it'll make driving safer for everyone. Then that could possibly encourage parents to allow teenagers to drive more. Then we'd all benefit from that. Of course the device could be expensive, then most people won't be able to buy it.

    Daniel Thai
    Period 5

    ReplyDelete
  39. Newer technology must be included in new cars for the safety of drivers. It will decrease death rates. Teenagers who are ignorant of the impact of DUI may not have to suffer as much as they would back in the days.

    ReplyDelete
  40. America being one of the best innovators of technology must be the first to introduce such a spectacular product in the consumer market of automobiles. Millions of lives will be saved in years due to the installation of this new technology in newly manufactured cars. News have also reported that cars in China and South Korea are already using this splendid peice of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Engineers have been trying to bring effectable change in automobiles to improve the safety of drivers. This might be a problem because, people who own cars that have this technology may be more proned to drive under influence as they think their life is safe. I would totally oppose the introduction of this product in the market. This will indeed create more deaths.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Chris Bready
    6th period

    I think that the technology is great. They should put it in cars because it will help prevent a lot of deaths from drunk drivers. The price would be expensive, but it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Period 3

    An alcohol detector in cars would be awesome. So many people could have their lives saved by this machine. Being out at night and never knowing if the person next to you is drunk is very scary. This will solve a lot of problems, and even give the police a little break off of their jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Jaison Mathew
    4th Period

    Even though this sounds like a good idea, there are probably many flaws with it. I think they should be put it in every car once these devices are perfected. There should be some law by the government telling the auto companies that they have to place them in their cars. Overall this is a good concept that if they can make it better, it can save thousands of lives.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Nick Brouwer (Period 2)January 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM

    This is great technology and will definitely drop the amount of drunk of drunk driver. But what level of alcohol does this system consider over the limit? I mean if it is like one or two drinks, this thing will be way overprotective and if if it does not stop the car until six or seven drinks, that could be to little. And for you people who say that this thing will be disabled, how many drunks do you think would know how the disable this thing?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Jade Martin
    Period 4

    I think this is a great idea. Every year many Americans lose their lives because of someone who was careless and decided to drive drunk. When someone is drunk, their minds aren't always thinking straight. The censors will not even let the cars start. So the deaths because of drunk driving should go down alot. But i think the price will have to be reasonable before anyone will buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Sarah Raines
    4th Period
    I think this is really interesting and I have to say that I like it. Plenty of people would disagree I’m sure, but it only makes us safer. For the people who are just trying to live a normal life and suddenly it’s ruined because of a drunk driver is not fair. And it’s the law. It is helpful to know that something like this could prevent another incident like Jacqueline Saburidos. And if it would then I’m all for it. I’m sure no one wants to be in situation like hers and it’s unfortunate that she went through it. But the fact is it can be prevented. And we shouldn’t have to make technology like this. If you don’t want to be in situation like that then don’t put others at a risk of being like that.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I think this is a really great idea! Some people might be opposed to it, but if it can save innocent lives, I'm all for it! It's something we can all benefit from.
    Shelby Hendon
    Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  49. Danielle S.
    2nd Period

    I love this article. If this works the accidents caused by drunk drivers will definitely decrease. We are truly on a come up technology wise. The only problem is if a certain car producer gets bad reviews from people they will stop selling them.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Lillian Cancino
    3rd Period
    I think that this is a great idea! This new technology will save many lives. I think that people should have only a positive opinion about this. What's wrong with inventing something that is only going to help our community? I think that people should think about the benifit of everyone in this case. They should not resist in this opportunity that they are giving us in order to save the lives of the innocent people that are killed because of drunk driving. I think that if you have nothing to hide, then what is the problem? Why are you against this? Many people say that they don't drive when their drunk, but if this is true then why don't they just say "ok put it in, I have nothing to hide anyways". Could it be that they are not telling the truth and that they know that this could happen to them by accident and they just don't want to admit it? Wow, these type of people really have no courage. I think that people should give this new technology a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Nick Grieger
    2nd Period

    I believe this new technology is a great way to prevent drunk drivers, but like most things there is always a way around it. With people these days, there is probably a way to fake the original test and still drive drunk. There is also the possibility that people do not want to pay the extra cost for the machines to be installed in there cars. In the end, if people are furious about the invention then the car companies are not going to do it and then the technology that they gave spent money on is purposeless.

    ReplyDelete
  52. 2nd period
    This is nothing but another useless acessory. Why is it that when it comes to the nation's most blatent problems we all turn to our ridiculous technology? Instead of making a car that reads blood alcohol levels(which let me remind you not everybody will buy)we should be focusing on better ways to keep tese people off the road. Seriously, years down the road we'll be way too technology dependent.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I think that this is a great idea that must be further fleshed out before it can become a reality. Drunk driving is a serious problem in the US, and this idea can be a savior to many lives. But at the same time, the point about one drink and no more poses a problem, so I believe that whoever is designing the technical aspects of this idea should scrap the breathalyzer idea and come up with a more clever solution to the problem. One main problem I have is why not just have more police cracking down on drunk driving instead of dragging everyone down because of technical problems?

    ReplyDelete
  54. 3rd Prd

    I think this is a wonderful idea it shows how technology is improving. A lot of people lose their lives due to drunk driving. I for one have a family member that lost their life to it and anything to stop or lower the rate of death due to drunk driving I am all for. Even though everyone will not hate it in their vehicle, the people that did buy it still lower that rate.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  55. Erica Barrera
    5th period
    I think this is a good idea. It will help some people stay off the road when they get drunk but I also think it’s a bad idea because like what Megan said, we are getting too dependent on technology. If one person is going to be drinking then the other person if there is another person should not drink. It’s that simple. If that’s too hard for them then they should not be drinking in the first place. We really don’t need drunk drivers on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Justin Johnson (6 period)January 22, 2011 at 8:51 PM

    I think having idea like this is wonderful, but the question is, how efficient is this? Will the sensors work perfectly until three months then everything is messing up? I would say it wouldn't work because mankind has come a long way with technology. I just feel that we should put more investment in stuff like this.

    I disagree with Megan Scott. Technology is one of the key to success. For only with technology and knowledge, can we keep up with the demand of growing disease, population, supplies, education, etc.. You say years down the road we'll be "way too" technology dependent, but if you look around now, we already are. We should strive for more innovations and knowledge for this society.

    - Justin Johnson
    6 period

    ReplyDelete
  57. Alex Cyriac Period 5January 22, 2011 at 8:55 PM

    Wow. This could completely change the nature of America's drunk driving. In fact, it would essentially grind it out of existence, which is why I whole-heartedly support this new technology. I think this is an excellent use of technology to make life much safer for all drivers. People who protest are most likely the ones who are afraid of being caught since they would have nothing to be afraid of if they do not drink and drive.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Jeffrey Jhingree
    4th period

    It's about time someone uses America's technology that will help save lives. I think that putting sensors in cars that detect the alcohol level in a person is a great idea. This idea will save thousands of lives. Car dealerships need to sell these cars at a reasonable price so that people will buy the car when it comes out. Not everyone will like it because then they would not get to drink and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Aileen Nguyen
    Period 3

    This new technology is going to be great for the American society. There are way too many people who die from drunk driving accidents, and it's usually the innocent ones. The new car device would be able to reduce that number greatly. However, if the creators don't make certain changes to the device, people are probably not going to want to buy the car because they're going to have that fear of not being able to drive home after having a few drinks. In addtition, the cost of making the cars is quite expensive, and if people don't want to buy it, then that would negatively affect the economy.

    ReplyDelete
  60. 4th period
    I think that it is a great idea. But it makes me think about something one of my 8th grade teachers said, if we didn't have things that cause death, like cancer or drunk driving accidents, then we would end up over populated. I'm not saying that it's okay to drive drunk and take someone's life, but I believe that everything happens for a reason. But then again, it would be wrong if you knew you could potentially save lives and didn't do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Fifth Period
    I think that it's very reasonable to make cars have an alcohol sensor. This will certainly decrease the amount of drinking and driving accidents. To me, drinking and driving accidents are he worst because not only are the driver and passengers in danger, the pedestrians are also in danger. In the end, all of the people will have horrible injuries that will shatter the lives of many. This is why I am supportive of the alcohol sensors.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I think that it is a good idea but would be a huge pain for people who occasionally get drunk. They might get "legally" drunk because they had too much wine at their fancy date out and then because the car won't start the night their date becomes a nightmare. It would be huge hassle for someone because they would have to get someone else to come get them and then what? They leave the vehicle? I agree that drunk driving is a bad idea, but this is not an ideal solution to the problem.
    -Ryan Haines Period 2

    ReplyDelete
  63. KatieSnyder period 2January 23, 2011 at 9:08 AM

    I think this is great, but also has a downside. Technology is great and all, but people are becoming to dependent on it. Instead of talking or meeting, they text each other information. Now this technology could be very benificial if used correctly, but I think it is just a mess. How many times out of ten will this work compared to how many times out of ten o what they are using right now works. Catching drunk drivers is important, but at least they are trying to get better solutions.
    KatieSnyder period 2

    ReplyDelete
  64. Aman Gupte
    Period 6

    I agree with Esteban’s statement. What if you only took a sip, and now your car won’t start? That could create a lot of problems. But anyways, it would be interesting to see this technology in practice. One thing’s for sure, it would reduce the number of deaths and accidents by a lot and make the roads way safer.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Nico Alba
    Period 2
    If it works as well as they say it does, I'd be glad to see it in practice. However I wouldn't want it to harass people about alcohol content. If used, it should be set at the legal limit. No lower, no higher. But my hopes aren't very high for this, because like any new piece of technology (especially one controversial like this), this is not going to work perfectly. And also, for every smart person who can put something like this in a car, there is going to be another one who can take it out or disable it. Someone will find a way around it, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Michael Brennan 3rd PeriodJanuary 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM

    I think that this is a positive way that technology will help us make this world safer. A lot of people will probably dislike this because they will want to drive and cannot. This will help make our world safer for drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Dane Gantt
    Period 2

    Well, this seems like a good idea, but there is no way to force people to buy a car with this technology. If they could find a way to put this technology into new cars and keep the car at the original cost as stated in the article, then the technology might actually prove useful.

    ReplyDelete
  68. 3rd period

    Everyday in the U.S., several people are driving under the influence. While driving however, these people can create serious accidents. I agree with this idea to build these systems into cars because it is a beneficial safety precaution. By stopping the car before the person under the influence, you can stop more car accidents and reduce the amount of tickets given to drivers for drinking and driving.

    ReplyDelete
  69. This new technology will definitely reduce deaths in America. Since so many people die from drunk drivers, I think this will be a great thing to put in new cars. I love how the technology these days get better and better at saving peoples' lives. Even though some people may not like it, its definitely worth it.
    Steffie Philip
    Period-6th

    ReplyDelete
  70. Amita Batra
    3rd Period
    Though this new technology to prevent drunk driving is a great innovation to make a difference in the world, it may not always work. Not everyone will have this technology for their use is they don't buy a new vehicle. I feel that it may lower DWI deaths, but it will not fully eliminate them. The only real solution to this problem is not drinking while driving. That is pretty much it!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Abin Joes
    Period 2
    I believe that no two people are the same, so if one person drinks as much as the second person but can metabolize faster and can actually drive them selves home without putting some one else in harms way, why do they have to be compared to the other person who can barely hold a glass of cheap wine? Police can not just arrest people who can pass the sobriety test with a vineyard in their system just because there are some people set the standards too low. So if they could invent a car which would stop working only if the owner has gone past the tolerance level of his/her capacity; that would be an invention.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Kiara Brown
    6th period
    This article sounds like a really great idea because some drunk drivers has killed people in this world. I think the new technology machine is going to work for people who has been drinking,because if the machine reads that you haven't been drinking the your car will eventually start,or if you have been drinking then the car won't start.

    ReplyDelete
  73. Dylan Allotta
    4th

    My first thoughts from reading this article were supportive. It appears at first glance to be a fantastic idea. But when you think about it more, it's ONLY a fantastic idea. Like the article said, what about those people who are not getting drunk; they just want a drink at a bar watching a game, or have a glass of wine for diner at a restaurant. How will they travel if there car that they purchased with their hard earned money is denying them access. Personally, I would be extremely angry to say the least. My first negative thought, all though far stretched was what if you needed to make a quick get away. We see those horror movies where the murderer is coming for them and their fumbling with there keys and cant get them in the ignition... oh help them please if they had to take a "quick" test to check if there drunk before they drive away for their life (if they are still alive). Now of course that exact event is very unlikely to happen but there are many other common things people go through every day with the same concept. Of course I wish everyone could be safe but that's just never going to happen unfortunately. From the way I see it, the real question is: Is the inconvenience worth your safety? However, all of this aside, I completely agree with Lloyd, we should just do away with cars themselves. This would rid America of many other of its problems.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Victoria Hackney
    2nd Period

    If this ends up happening and working, it will be amazing! People are saying not every person is going to buy one of these machines, but even if just half or a fourth of people do that's still an improvement and still going to be saving some lives. Eventually having one of these in every car would be ideal (provided they work and do what they're supposed to) but until that time any amount in cars is going to be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Kaitlyn Trei
    Period 6

    I think that the new technology that people are coming up with will be a great improvement in drinking and driving. This could save thousands of innocent peoples lives from getting in car crashes. I think that they should test it out and make sure that it is safe for people to drive even when they are not drinking. But otherwise if it helps save lives I would get this.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Jasmyne Amos 3rd prdJanuary 23, 2011 at 4:05 PM

    I think this is a great idea, anything to get less drunk drivers off the road is great. I know everyone wont buy this car but the people that do are saving lives and their own as well. I have had to deal with losing family and friends because someone wanted to get in the car and drive undet the influense. I amazing to ssee how technology is evolving.

    ReplyDelete
  77. I think this is a good idea however, it will most likely not work. I mean first off the person has to buy the car which why would you spend extra money for it. Secondly what if there is an emergency and you can't drive because of it? If there is a party and someone needs to get to the hospital or they will die and everyone has been drinking then the safety feature just took a life. I think us as Americans should focus on bigger things.

    ReplyDelete
  78. 5th Period


    I believe that putting this type of sensor on a car in the long run would save many lives. One life lost to drunken driving is one too many. I really don't think the American public should object too much to this because it really is about saving lives. I am glad that there is technology out there that can do this type of thing. Although we have become dependent on lots of things this is one item that is definitely worth the cost. I am glad there are scientists that spend their valuable time on this type of thing, it just means more lives saved in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Justin Johnson (6 period)January 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM

    I think the technology would be great! I understand at first it will be expensive and less advanced but as time goes, so will the advancement of the technology. It is about time someone at least thought something through about our highway safety when talking about drunk drivers.
    - Justin Johnson
    6 period

    ReplyDelete
  80. Marcus Levine
    4th period

    It would be worth it to invest in more technology considering it helps humanity advance, but what we develop is different. People getting drunk and dying is their choice of lifestyle. It is somewhat like nature's way of reducing our growing population. If people truly wanted to stop death from those who are drunk then they shouldn't drink in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  81. Tommy Settlemyre Third Period ( I misspelled "alcohol" the first time, sorry)January 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM

    This is a bad idea. It is all about money. The concept may be noble, but who will buy these cars? One would first have to realize that drunk driving is a problem that he struggles with. Second, he would have to buy the expensive car and drive it all the time. These two steps are each unlikely. So who will pay for it? We all will. The people making these cars obviously have some influence in congress, so it is more than likely that this technology will be required by law to be in every car sooner or later. Then, we will all be safe on the road with our alcohol-free cars, and no worries, right? Wrong. The government will raise taxes to pay for the cars and to pay the people who came up with the technology, and we will all pay for other people's actions while the government and the makers of this technology get our money.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Travis Crissman
    2nd period

    I think the idea of an alcohol sensor in cars is a great thing. This device will put an end to drunk drivers if every car has this device installed. It will reduce the number of drunk driver deaths and accidents tremendously. There are thousands of people who die in drunk driving related accidents each year. I believe that the blood alcohol level on this device should be set at the legal 0.08 drunken driving threshold to ensure that the driver and passengers will remain safe. I don’t think it would be fair to interfere with someone driving who has only had a drink or two.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Grace Bonojo
    4th Period

    I think this idea is just pure brilliance! To think about a car that won't start when you're drunk makes me feel a lot safer on the road. Some drunk drivers might not mean to drive but even if they do this car reassures that they won't and that’s just great. I think that they should make this a required safety part of a car and motorcycle so therefore you won't have to worry so much about drunk drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  84. Grace Bonojo
    4th Period

    I think this idea is just pure brilliance! To think about a car that won't start when you're drunk makes me feel a lot safer on the road. Some drunk drivers might not mean to drive but even if they do this car reassures that they won't and that’s just great. I think that they should make this a required safety part of a car and motorcycle so therefore you won't have to worry so much about drunk drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  85. I like this article it shows how much United States is improving in technology. Drinking and driving kills a lot of people, hopefully this new invention will save a lot of lives in the future. Most Americans will be mad, but it's the law. All their trying to do is keep everyone safe and without this new invention I don't think that will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  86. I agree and encourage this new technology. But like the creators said, it is critical that the detector is accurate and only stoops people who have exceeded the limit. If people get stopped even though they are not drunk, it could lead to a huge problem. The fact though that more than 10,000 people died in 2009 because of drunk driving is astonishing. The only reason I am in support of this is because it could end up saving thousands of lives.

    ReplyDelete
  87. Cars that sense drunkness are a good thing, and it should be looked into. The amount of drunk drivers is astounding, and they need to be controlled. This is the perfect way to do it.
    3rd Period

    ReplyDelete
  88. Gabriel Camera
    6th period
    I really think this is a good idea because it can save innocent people's lives. But on the other hand I don't think many people are going to buy this kind of cars.

    ReplyDelete
  89. 2nd Period

    I have no disagreements with this technology. With the fact that Americans die here and there because of drunk drivers. It's things like this that make sense having out there making a difference. We don't need that many accidents dealing with them.

    ReplyDelete
  90. Melvin Valimattathil
    Period 6

    I think this is a great idea. This new technology can save many lives, especially the lives of innocent humans. I think every car should have one no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  91. Bailey Banks
    6th period

    This new sensor technology seems like it would benefit a lot of people and lower the number of deaths caused by drunk drivers. It almost sounds to good to be true, how would you like it if you had a little drink and were fully intoxicated, but yet your car won't start for you. Not only does this product sound too good, but what about the older cars that don't have the sensors? With a bad economy and fewer cars being purchased how would this technology be put on all of the cars that are currently on the road today?

    ReplyDelete
  92. Justin Johnson 6 periodJanuary 23, 2011 at 7:38 PM

    I think the idea is great! Reducing death in America and creating new technologies for our future generation is fantastic. I know at first it won't be as efficient as it will be probably twenty years later, but at least we can start from somewhere. I think the american people would love to have new safety technologies in their cars so we can feel more safer and secure.
    - Justin Johnson
    - 6 period

    ReplyDelete
  93. Courtnei Coleman Period 5January 23, 2011 at 7:44 PM

    I love this idea! This new invention can save millions of lives in the United States. Everyday there is about 100 accidents in each state. Drunk drivers are like criminals. They know the possible outcomes before they drink, but some continue to drink and drive. I was in an accident with my friend Cortney Corley and another friend named Kirby. That accident was cause by a drunk driver. None of us were extremely hurt but you have to always think about the possibilities. What if we were pushed into on-going traffic? What would have happened then? This new piece of technology can save a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  94. Chasidy Twine Period 2January 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM

    I like this article. It is a good thing that can help change the world. I don't see anything wrong with an invention that will save many lives in the world today. I think that each year more people are dying because of drunk drivers. This isn't a disease that has no cure. It is something that can be prevented if only the world was filled with positive people.

    ReplyDelete
  95. Jae Phan 4 Pd
    I'm not sure if implanting this test device in cars will work, why would someone who loves to drink buy a car like this? If the cars with the device in them are boycotted, then companies will lose a lot of money. I am not saying that solving this problem is bad, but drunk people don not think rational, what if they ditch their car and do something that is even more stupid?

    ReplyDelete
  96. Troy Pete
    4th period
    I also think this is a great idea. I mean technology like this is great for mankind and it will save lives. It will prevent one of those sad signs on the road of someone being killed or one of those monitors that say accident on so and so.So I am all for it!

    ReplyDelete
  97. Leslie Vazhappilly
    Period 4I think this is a great idea for everybody, not only for drunk people, even for the people who drives in the roads. It gives people more safer environment to drive in, and you'll have the satisfaction of driving in the road, without worrying about drunk people. It could save millions of lives, and save the drunk person a trip to the jail. I love technology for this but this would cost a lot to put in each car, and then the public will complain for pay for something in there car they don't want.

    ReplyDelete
  98. 6th period.
    I agree with putting this in everyone's vehicle. Like what the other people said before me, new technology is great and I'm really glad America is stepping up it's game. It will help save the innocent drivers on the road. It would also benefit everyone's life. It would also help the other drivers on the road have one less thing; drunk drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  99. I think that it is a great thing for them to come up with this great idea. Because cops are having a real hard time with people driving drunk and this will just help them out so much.
    Roy Glover 3

    ReplyDelete
  100. Samantha Martin
    4th period

    I am a little on the fence when it comes to situations being solved with technology. Sure,this may seem like a great idea at first glance, but when it comes down to how much this technology will cost this idea really won't be useful in reducing the amount of drunk drivers on the roads. What happened to simply having a designated driver?

    ReplyDelete
  101. K'Vonna Johnson
    5th period
    I think that this is a great way because this may decrease drunk driving accidents.If someone was to ask me should this be used a would agree 100%. This will stop people from dying and living with guilt for taking someone else's life.Even though others may disagree you have to look at the bigger picture people.

    ReplyDelete
  102. Leah Ware 2nd PeriodJanuary 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM

    I think this is a great idea. There are way to many people that die because of drunk driving. This should definitely be put into cars. I'm sure that with this type of technology, the amount of deaths caused by drunk drivers will decrease.

    ReplyDelete
  103. Rebecca Johnson, 5th PeriodJanuary 23, 2011 at 8:55 PM

    This is a good idea, but I mean how are they going to get people to buy a car that is program to work against you. Don’t get me wrong I don’t like the fact that there are drunk driver on the streets and this would save so many people’s lives, but why would anyone want to buy a car that first of all that will probably be more expensive because of this new technology, but also that can stop them from making it home because they are too drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  104. Wow I just had this conversation with my dad a few days ago. I think this device would help make the roads a lot safer and keep innocent people from being killed by drunks. It would also be cool for the new technology to send a report to the police when they detect high alcohol levels in the drivers blood.

    ReplyDelete
  105. Joe James
    6th Period
    Well obviously it's a great idea I mean come on, it's saves lives! However I do see those handfuls of people who are going to complain about how Congress has invested $20 million for two years of development for this project and the task force making it say they need $12 million for the next 3 years. All the lives this project will save will be worth it so just get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  106. Richard Kimbrell (6th)January 23, 2011 at 9:46 PM

    I like this article. It really shows how far we are coming in the world. A few of my parents good friends and some of my close friends have been killed by drunk drives and maybe this can help all of the people on the roads from being injured or killed like they were. I think this is a good thing for everybody.

    ReplyDelete